Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

Beverly decides their street needs another stop sign and pleads her case to the city comptroller; Barry panics when he realizes he's neglected his college applications; Erica struggles with her career choice.

I liked Murray taking an interest in Barry and trying to help him succeed, even if he did take a page out of Beverly's handbook and did it in the oh-so-wrong way. I thought Barry having second thoughts about it all showed some growth and maturity, and it's nice to know that he's more book smart than the show has let on.

Hopefully, this is the end of the Lainey saga for a while.

Much like with Phil and the magic shop on Modern Family, I find it curious how the show just completely dropped Bev as a teacher. I'm sure this will be like Jessica's quick-and-easy segue into being a published author on Fresh Off the Boat and Beverly will find a publisher for her cookbook full of cheese-drenched entrees, but if it gives her something to do, whatever. 

Speaking of giving someone something to do, if anyone got a spin-off about becoming a music teacher, it should have been Ericka. She was so driven and determined in the first season, and now she's just aimless. 

• Love 6

it should have been Ericka. She was so driven and determined in the first season, and now she's just aimless. 

That really bugged me this episode. It would have been better to send her to school, her character has become so feeble. They did it with Sue and Axl on The Middle, where they were in college but still on the show a lot. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, jmonique said:

I thought Barry having second thoughts about it all showed some growth and maturity, and it's nice to know that he's more book smart than the show has let on.

Yeah, they showed Barry's report card and it was all A's and B's.  Yet in most scenes he is portrayed as an absolute dunderhead.  I don't understand how the character we see on screen is getting those grades, in fact I'm not buying it at all.  Maybe the real Adam Goldberg gets some sort of kick (or revenge for something) out of portraying his brother as an idiot.

Erica mentioned she hadn't sang in like three weeks, ever since Lainey left.  This got my hopes up, but then they played a song with her singing.  Oh well.  

I've got to agree, what the heck is she doing with her life?  She should probably just admit she made a mistake and go back to college, it's not too late for her.  Unless the real "Eric" Goldberg chose some path other than college, anyone know what he ended up doing for a living?

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, they showed Barry's report card and it was all A's and B's.  Yet in most scenes he is portrayed as an absolute dunderhead.  I don't understand how the character we see on screen is getting those grades, in fact I'm not buying it at all.

Sometimes very "book smart" people have no common sense whatsoever.

• Love 6

They certainly got the station wagon repaired quickly;  that looked to be more than a fender bender.  The other car may have been totaled and with a pre-airbag car the driver could be injured and since Beverly was 100% liable since she went through the stop the Goldbergs  may be looking at a sizable law suit or a sizable increase in their insurance.  If she refuses to stop at the intersection she should have lobbied to move the  stop signs to the other corners instead of a four way stop. The furniture store must be going great if they can afford to send Barry to any college with no regard to the cost.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Sometimes very "book smart" people have no common sense whatsoever.

While that is true, I've never seen a "book smart" person act like Barry.  Looking at Barry, "book smart" would be the last way I would think to describe him.  Besides, Barry goes beyond not having common sense.  The only explanation I can think of is that Beverly bullied the teachers into giving him good grades.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I assume because the plan is to follow real Barry's path and have him be a doctor, so he would likely need pretty good grades. They even had him mention that math and science come easy to him. 

If they want her on the show and living at home, I don't see why Erica can't go to community college. She can still do her music. I also assume she still works at the karaoke bar. They have avenues to pursue with her but choose not to.

However, I do want to see Bev's cookbook progress even if the story might be farfetched.  

Loved Adam's Escape from NY movie spoof. Especially Pop's confusion.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, xander874 said:

I assume because the plan is to follow real Barry's path and have him be a doctor, so he would likely need pretty good grades. They even had him mention that math and science come easy to him. 

I caught that line.  And yet he can't pronounce the word "triglycerides".  Maybe he's running some sort of long con, where he's feigning stupidity for whatever reason, but he's secretly brilliant underneath.  They did show in one episode that he had a good bedside manner, so there is that.

• Love 3

i saw the first episode of schooled;  all she says in reference to barry (and doesn't mention him) is that she went off to pursue her rock and roll dreams and that didn't work out so she applied to teach at the school.  NO mention of going back to school to get a teaching degree, which is odd. 

1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Lol, so did the rest of us.  Could have sworn Barry went to his senior prom last season.

I can't keep track of it.  Some people have theorized that the show isn't linear (it's nineteen eighty-something), so we shouldn't expect chronological story lines.

• Love 4
On 1/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, rmontro said:

I've got to agree, what the heck is she doing with her life?  She should probably just admit she made a mistake and go back to college, it's not too late for her.  Unless the real "Eric" Goldberg chose some path other than college, anyone know what he ended up doing for a living?

Eric is a doctor, too.  So, lots of higher education.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nessie said:

Eric is a doctor, too.  So, lots of higher education.

Oh, that's very interesting.  I can't see Erica as a doctor though.  Not that I can see Barry as one either.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

I cannot believe the car story actually happened. We had to pause because we were laughing so hard.

This morning (maybe last night....either way I read it this morning) he posted a picture of it.  

image.thumb.png.2d334f8c39133d29aaaf8b82847e7ad7.png

Unrelated to that though, last night I realized that when they say it was {Month} {Day}, 1980something the date they use is the actual air date which is kind of cool. I always wondered why the dates seemed so random but then I remembered I watched everything out of order to start. 

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, justjen said:

This morning (maybe last night....either way I read it this morning) he posted a picture of it.  

image.thumb.png.2d334f8c39133d29aaaf8b82847e7ad7.png

Unrelated to that though, last night I realized that when they say it was {Month} {Day}, 1980something the date they use is the actual air date which is kind of cool. I always wondered why the dates seemed so random but then I remembered I watched everything out of order to start. 

But that date would not have been sunny outside with baseball practice.

Where was Ruben Amaro Jr.? How are they going to have an episode about the William Penn baseball team and not have Ruben Amaro Jr? And there is no "he graduated" excuse, because he has been established as still being in school this season. He is definitely on the 10 year plan at William Penn, along with Barry, the JTP, Rush Kid, and Rush Kid's girlfriend.

I get that the point was to parody Major League, and a talented future Major Leaguer would have stood out, but it isn't unheard of for teams to have one good player surrounded by a team of scrubs. Especially on the high school level. Certainly it would have been more believable than the idea that Barry was already on the team, and not chosen as one of the scrubs to tank the team.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

So Bradley Cooper, Matt Ryan, Ruben Amaro Jr. Am I missing anyone? How is it all these famous people are from Jenkintown? Is Jenkintown the nexus of the universe?

Also, I never understood why characters on the Goldbergs call other characters by their full names.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

So Bradley Cooper, Matt Ryan, Ruben Amaro Jr. Am I missing anyone? How is it all these famous people are from Jenkintown? Is Jenkintown the nexus of the universe?

Yep. I was born in Meadowbrook which also got a shoutout last night. Loving it. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

I cannot believe the car story actually happened. We had to pause because we were laughing so hard.

That was awesome and I loved in the narrative they said, yes this really happened!  Love the pic above from Twitter.  How cool is that?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Aryanna said:

There is also David Sirota, and of course Adam Goldberg himself. But I don't think Jenkintown has a lock on celebrities. I think you could choose any similar burb anywhere in this country and you'll turn up a fair share of famous people. Not to mention these aren't just Jenkintown residents, but also alums of WIlliam Penn (save for Bradley Cooper), which is a fairly good school, of the type that is always going to produce notable people. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 4

I thought last season(throwing the first pitch in a Phillies game) it was established Barry could not throw a baseball 60' (pitching mound -home). As for Adam and his friends playing the infield, an infielder needs to be able to throw the ball 127' (third base-first) or at the very  least 90' (second to first) which is not easy.  Adam's lazy eye should have been patched when he was 5, glasses don't help much especially if a person is  16/17  and it is too late.  Is Geoff's father the family ophthalmologist?

Bradley Cooper! Thats hilarious, I love how many famous people came out of this one area, and are somehow tied up into the life of Adam! Its amazing how many notable people came out of Jenkintown and the surrounding area, and all around the same time. I half expected real life Bradley Cooper to show up at the end. 

Also loved Adam narrating that yes, the car going off the cliff really did happen! This show really does always prove that truth is stranger than fiction! I laughed a whole lot when Adams narration showed up!

I liked the baseball plot, but it did take me out of it that they bad a baseball plot in late January. Isn't it kinda super freaking cold and snowy? Not exactly baseball weather. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Also, I never understood why characters on the Goldbergs call other characters by their full names.

It depends on how famous you're talking, but Adam's girlfriend, Jackie Geary, is an actress who has been in some pretty well known shows/movies.

• Love 4

That car doesn't look that bad for being flipped off of a mountain.  I still get surprised by the things on the show that really happened.

I liked Murray's "so mad he was laughing deliriously" reaction.

I guess they let Mellor go so he can work on Schooled instead.  I didn't actually expect him to leave.

Does every episode need to be centered around a movie?  It's wearing thin.

• Love 10
On 1/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, jmonique said:

I liked Murray taking an interest in Barry and trying to help him succeed, even if he did take a page out of Beverly's handbook and did it in the oh-so-wrong way. I thought Barry having second thoughts about it all showed some growth and maturity, and it's nice to know that he's more book smart than the show has let on.

Hopefully, this is the end of the Lainey saga for a while.

Much like with Phil and the magic shop on Modern Family, I find it curious how the show just completely dropped Bev as a teacher. I'm sure this will be like Jessica's quick-and-easy segue into being a published author on Fresh Off the Boat and Beverly will find a publisher for her cookbook full of cheese-drenched entrees, but if it gives her something to do, whatever. 

Speaking of giving someone something to do, if anyone got a spin-off about becoming a music teacher, it should have been Ericka. She was so driven and determined in the first season, and now she's just aimless. 

I actually find Erica being aimless to be refreshing on the show. So many sitcoms throw characters into instantly successful college/careers. It is so realistic to show a smart 20 something year old being lost in life. It happened to myself. In high school (and college which I finished) I was at the top of my class, which really did nothing to guide me in real life. I was so focused on studying, getting good grades, etc that I had no time to focus on 'life after school.' 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Does every episode need to be centered around a movie? 

I loved Major League back in the day (Margaret Whitton is a totally underrated actress), but if they ever do an episode centered around Krull or the Last Starfighter, then it will be time to wrap things up. And I loved those films too (I'm easy to please).

The thing about the cutout of the principal was hilarious to me. Where did he get the pic for it? It's one thing I always wondered about the movie and the evil owner's cutout. I guess it was supposed to be her head on someone's else's body, IDK.

21 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I don't know their reasons, but I laugh every time Adam says "Ruben Amaro Jr".  It's just odd enough to be funny to me.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, xander874 said:

I loved Major League back in the day (Margaret Whitton is a totally underrated actress), but if they ever do an episode centered around Krull or the Last Starfighter, then it will be time to wrap things up. And I loved those films too (I'm easy to please).

The thing about the cutout of the principal was hilarious to me. Where did he get the pic for it? It's one thing I always wondered about the movie and the evil owner's cutout. I guess it was supposed to be her head on someone's else's body, IDK.

In the movie the owner was a former Vegas showgirl who inherited the team when her husband died, so the picture was from her old career.

Funny enough the original ending of Major League revealed that the owner had never actually planned on moving the team, and the whole thing had been a ploy to motivate the players, which solves the rather large plothole that an owner who wanted to lose would just cut the players who started playing well. They had to reshoot it because test audiences hated the twist.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I liked that the narration stated “oldest sibling” illustrating that the story was true because he has previously stated that not much of Erica is based on Eric.

I wonder if Adam has some sort of family issues, because he protrays Barry as a blithering idiot, and he turned his older brother into a girl.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The network made him.

Oh.  Well, you learn all kinds of things on this board.  Can't blame the network.  Otherwise, the family would have been a sausage party (except for Beverly).

On 2/1/2019 at 12:18 AM, Tvshipper said:

I actually find Erica being aimless to be refreshing on the show. So many sitcoms throw characters into instantly successful college/careers. It is so realistic to show a smart 20 something year old being lost in life. It happened to myself. In high school (and college which I finished) I was at the top of my class, which really did nothing to guide me in real life. I was so focused on studying, getting good grades, etc that I had no time to focus on 'life after school.' 

Yes, yes, very true.  The parents on the Goldbergs have the awareness of what an education can do for their children, and are guiding them in that direction.  Not all kids have that advantage, and some kids do, but they won't listen.  Anyway, Erica has been aimless for awhile now, and I agree it's been a realistic plot.  But my guess is at some point she'll realize her mistake and go back.

• Love 2

I don’t always love Beverly but I think that it is interesting that even in the eighties wanting to be a housewife was considered less than. I say this as a woman who has worked since she was 19.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

I don’t always love Beverly but I think that it is interesting that even in the eighties wanting to be a housewife was considered less than.

Good point, as if raising a family is easy or something to be ashamed of.  Considering she had two doctor sons and a successful TV producer, I'd say she did a pretty good job.

• Love 10