Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

So unspeakable to have yet another shooting in a public place.

As to Jeopardy: Sigh. I was rooting for William, (the middle guy), even though he started out so poorly. He seemed so delighted to have eked out enough for FJ, so I give him a "Good for you!" Did not care for the other guy. 

I don't hate James. I'm just tired of him. Groundhog Day, Groundhog Day, Groundhog Day.  I don't remember feeling bored by Ken at the time, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was his "aw, shucks" attitude, whether real or feigned. Maybe because it was one of the first really different things on Jeopardy (I'm from the Art Fleming days). Maybe because I'm 15 years older, I don't know. Something about James demeanor just irks me in a way that Ken didn't. I know James is brilliant and I respect and admire that; yet he seems so bloodless, so dispassionate, so mechanical, so much that he's just here to perform his money-making task. I can't properly articulate it, but I'm very ready for a post-James era. 

• Love 16

I knew when I saw the FJ category, I wasn't going to get it right.  But, then the clue was revealed and I read the names, and I said "Hey, there's a Lionel Barrymore.  The answer is Barrymore."  I was so proud of myself.  LOL.  Oh well,.  Hollywood stuff is not my forte.

I was proud of myself for getting Zoroaster.  I've lived in VT all my life, but did not get Smuggler's Notch.  I did know Dixville Notch is in NH, though.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yikes! Active shooter situation in our city municipal complex (apparently resolved, it appears),  then major storms coming through the area. Not looking good for Jeopardy!  Count my blessings, I guess 😞

That was big news over here on the other side of the state, too.  😞   It didn't pre-empt Jeopardy!, but a tornado warning a couple of counties over did.  I missed most of the first round (not that I missed much) (and it is and was sunny here), then for FJ, pre-guessed Barrymore and couldn't get it out of my head.  Maybe I should stop pre-guessing?  And it broke my streak!  I was doing quite well this week with FJ until today.  Boo, hiss.

• Love 2

I cringed when Alex said to the middle guy at the start of Double Jeopardy something along the lines of, “you really didn’t do very well in the first round.” Oof - thanks for rubbing it in, Captain Obvious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Here in Williamsburg, we get our news from Norfolk & Virginia Beach, so with the shootings and weather, no Jeopardy! here.  Shooting is such awful news.  It’s past 9:30 and still no scheduled programming on the local stations.

I was able to find FJ and answered correctly, though.

We're getting to see a master do what he was born to do.  It's fun to watch, and even after 30 games, I still find myself saying "How does he know that?"  He has an incredible store of knowledge.  I also like that he cuts off Alex's unnecessary commentary and immediately picks another clue.  His fast play helps us clear the board virtually every time.

There was a category - I think it was the final column in DJ on Thursday - that had some family theme going.  The clues were nonsensical, and you had to identify something in the last line after four lines of gibberish, I think.  I appreciate the attempt at creativity, but just no.

There were a couple of days this week where I was able to run the $1000s category in SJ with James, which was encouraging.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

My feeling is that there is not now, nor has there ever been, a contestant that goes on Jeopardy and doesn’t hope to win that game, and continue to win as many games as possible.  Anyone else who can do what James is doing would certainly do it. Why is James scorned for being able to accomplish that goal?  Is there a contestant that would step down; that would say that’s enough, I don't want to win anymore, I don’t want to annoy people, I don’t want any more money, I don’t want to continue until I lose?  I doubt it. The guy is a Jeopardy machine and I admire his intellect, skill, and demeanor. I find his dispassion endearing actually.  He’s here on business. None of the false joviality of Ken. I find Ken to be just as cutthroat as James, which is not a bad thing, but he cloaks it in an aw shucks way which I find fake and annoying.  I could be totally wrong about Ken but that is how he registers to me.   As I said, I prefer James’ no nonsense approach.  But I guess that’s why there are 31 flavors; we don’t all like the same thing. The ironic thing is, if you read James twitter account you will see he actually has a very sharp sense of humor.  He also seems to be able to take a joke, many of which are at his own expense.   I can say that every Monday through Friday at 6:50 PM or so I get excited knowing Jeopardy is about to come on.  I watch the show religiously but it’s been a long time since I was excited about it every night.  I love this ride he’s taking us on and I know that I will miss it when it’s over. 

Wish I could like this more than once.

I so agree.

James' dry sense of humor is one of the things I find attractive. I also see him as extremely authentic - an admirable trait in my world. He owns his power (a wonderful demonstration) and honors the same in others. I watch as he cheers the other contestants when they win big or get a DD.

I also like the way he squints his eyes when he's thinking deeply.

• Love 16
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, Rbonnie said:

I love my family more than anything and it was horrific to put them through it.  My good attitude helped them feel better, helped them believe there could be a positive outcome, helped them cope. But there is no medical claim that it can actually be effective as a treatment  

Thank you for sharing your story.   Please know that you did not put them through anything - your disease did.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Or the year that Queen Elizabeth died, think that was one too.  I guessed 1600

I said 1601. For Caesar, I correctly said the 15th. My BIL exclaimed, "How did you know that?" I said, "The ides of March." That explains it, right?

Jeopardy was preempted for basketball yesterday, so I watched the show tonight. I got the TS of 'captain' ( I said 'team captain). Also, for the question about D-Day, I said Operation Overlord. I'm pretty sure that would have been accepted.

For tonight's game, I got no TSs. I did get FJ. I knew there were a bunch of Newmans in Hollywood music, but I didn't know there were THAT many!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

My feeling is that there is not now, nor has there ever been, a contestant that goes on Jeopardy and doesn’t hope to win that game, and continue to win as many games as possible.  Anyone else who can do what James is doing would certainly do it. Why is James scorned for being able to accomplish that goal?  Is there a contestant that would step down; that would say that’s enough, I don't want to win anymore, I don’t want to annoy people, I don’t want any more money, I don’t want to continue until I lose?  I doubt it. The guy is a Jeopardy machine and I admire his intellect, skill, and demeanor. I find his dispassion endearing actually.  He’s here on business. None of the false joviality of Ken. I find Ken to be just as cutthroat as James, which is not a bad thing, but he cloaks it in an aw shucks way which I find fake and annoying.  I could be totally wrong about Ken but that is how he registers to me.   As I said, I prefer James’ no nonsense approach.  But I guess that’s why there are 31 flavors; we don’t all like the same thing. The ironic thing is, if you read James twitter account you will see he actually has a very sharp sense of humor.  He also seems to be able to take a joke, many of which are at his own expense.   I can say that every Monday through Friday at 6:50 PM or so I get excited knowing Jeopardy is about to come on.  I watch the show religiously but it’s been a long time since I was excited about it every night.  I love this ride he’s taking us on and I know that I will miss it when it’s over. 

I get excited just before Jeopardy, too, but I get excited because I hope this will be the day that James will lose.   I disagree fundamentally with your view, but as you said, 31 flavors. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

He also mentioned having a grandmother that did not speak English. Depending on where and when he grew up, being different and having a different family was probably not easy for him, and he may have honestly not been engaged with a lot of things other kids were.

For those of you that do not like him...I hope you don't leave the show because of it.  James is not Jeopardy....and I am always a fan of the show....regardless of who is on it. 

I've been a teacher for 25+ years, with a great many students coming from homes where the parents don't speak English, never mind the grandparents. I think it is nature and nurture together. James' brother Ian grew up in the same home with the same heritage, but has taken a very different path.

Jeopardy has been a part of my life since before James was on Earth. I remember having to adjust to the new guy, Alex Trebek. I certainly wouldn't abandon the show because of James. 

• Love 3

At this point I can't decide whether I'm hoping for him to win or lose. But when he does lose, I really hope it is in a nail-biting mega-shootout with an amazing challenger who will then go on to win a few more games. Not just him having a bad day and pulling a "Fed Ex." 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I've been a teacher for 25+ years, with a great many students coming from homes where the parents don't speak English, never mind the grandparents. I think it is nature and nurture together. James' brother Ian grew up in the same home with the same heritage, but has taken a very different path.

Jeopardy has been a part of my life since before James was on Earth. I remember having to adjust to the new guy, Alex Trebek. I certainly wouldn't abandon the show because of James. 

That was very clumsily worded.  My intent was to say that a lot of other kids get ridicule by some of their playmates when they have parents or grandparents that are different.  We had a lot of refugees in our school and they liked talking to me. I soon found out that many of them were terrified to have their new school friends over to their house in case they thought their food was "weird"  or because their parent or grandparent didn't speak English, or dressed "funny."  While they were trying desperately to fit in and sometimes getting teased for their differences, they were really afraid of having just one more thing about them being different.  Kids can be so mean to each other...it is unreal the things I have seen and heard. 

I did not mean to imply that James found it difficult to have a grandparent that did not speak English and I hope it did not read that way.   From his words he was very proud of her and wanted to make her proud. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Abstract said:

At this point I can't decide whether I'm hoping for him to win or lose. But when he does lose, I really hope it is in a nail-biting mega-shootout with an amazing challenger who will then go on to win a few more games. Not just him having a bad day and pulling a "Fed Ex." 

I still can’t believe Jennings lost on that question. For years, I thought he threw it because he was just worn out. It still seems like easy question/answer. 

20 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Also, for the question about D-Day, I said Operation Overlord. I'm pretty sure that would have been accepted.

Me, too. I also said Zarathustra for Zoroaster, which might have been accepted.

I knew there was an Alfred Newman and a Thomas Newman, but Randy clinched it for me.  I think (was it Wyatt?) who saw "Alfred," thought "Hitchcock" and couldn't get past that. It's happened to almost all of us at home, too.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think (was it Wyatt?) who saw "Alfred," thought "Hitchcock" and couldn't get past that. It's happened to almost all of us at home, too.

I know what you mean, but the look on his face suggested to me he knew he was wrong, but said Hitchcock because of Alfred because he didn't want to have no answer at all, not because he thought it was right.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:
On 5/30/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rbonnie said:

I love my family more than anything and it was horrific to put them through it.  My good attitude helped them feel better, helped them believe there could be a positive outcome, helped them cope. But there is no medical claim that it can actually be effective as a treatment  

Thank you for sharing your story.   Please know that you did not put them through anything - your disease did

Thank you @Brookside, that was truly kind to say

• Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I still can’t believe Jennings lost on that question. For years, I thought he threw it because he was just worn out. It still seems like easy question/answer. 

According to his book, he felt sluggish and foggy-headed through that whole game. He totally blanked on FJ and fixated on the 4-month period being a holiday season. He didn't think of tax preparation because he always did his own taxes (of course he did). He wrote down FedEx just to have something, and vaguely associated it with the Christmas season.

(Is there any chance of having a thread for past contestant discussion?)

Edited by Abstract
2 hours ago, Abstract said:

(Is there any chance of having a thread for past contestant discussion?)

This started out as a current (2014) thread but is now open for past episodes discussion.

• Love 1

I find James good looking, witty, a big sports fan and well attuned to the social norms. I would imagine he would have been very well liked in school, with or without a grandmother who didn't speak English.  I'm just not picturing an awkward kid who would have been outcast.

My wish is for James to keep winning until he passes Ken's 2.5 million money record, but then lose before he beats  Ken's 74 games record.  I just find close races more fun to watch than day after day of runaways so that Final Jeopardy has no suspense.  Of course I would never expect James or anyone else to just quit.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said 1601. For Caesar, I correctly said the 15th. My BIL exclaimed, "How did you know that?" I said, "The ides of March." That explains it, right?

Jeopardy was preempted for basketball yesterday, so I watched the show tonight. I got the TS of 'captain' ( I said 'team captain). Also, for the question about D-Day, I said Operation Overlord. I'm pretty sure that would have been accepted.

For tonight's game, I got no TSs. I did get FJ. I knew there were a bunch of Newmans in Hollywood music, but I didn't know there were THAT many!

I got it by way of a family member who died on March 15th, and I always connected her to Caesar (the Ides of March). Just for yucks, I looked up the definition, and learned a little something:

: the 15th day of March, May, July, or October or the 13th day of any other month in the ancient Roman calendar broadly : this day and the seven days preceding it

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew there was an Alfred Newman and a Thomas Newman, but Randy clinched it for me.  I think (was it Wyatt?) who saw "Alfred," thought "Hitchcock" and couldn't get past that. It's happened to almost all of us at home, too.

I had no idea there was a Newman family associated with Oscars - I saw Lionel and went "Barrymores" since there were a ton of them. I never knew Randy Newman was, essentially, Hollywood royalty.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got it by way of a family member who died on March 15th, and I always connected her to Caesar (the Ides of March). Just for yucks, I looked up the definition, and learned a little something:

I had no idea there was a Newman family associated with Oscars - I saw Lionel and went "Barrymores" since there were a ton of them. I never knew Randy Newman was, essentially, Hollywood royalty.

And Jeopardy has had other questions about Randy Newman. I hadn’t heard of a single other Newman with the first names listed but when I saw Randy I said Newman inmediately.

(edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 4:40 AM, Booney said:

I think I'm in the minority here now but I'm still a James fan, and continue to be impressed with the depth and breadth of his knowledge. 

I don't think you're in the minority. It's just that all the James haters post over and over again that they don't like him, they can't stand him, they hope he loses, his smile is awful, his teeth are wrong, his comments are annoying, he writes his name differently every day, his eye color is terrible. Okay, I made up that last one, but it's not far off from many of the comments. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but the constant negativity is tiresome to read. If I loathed him as much as some posters I simply wouldn't watch until he loses. Why aggravate yourself?

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I looked it up, too. I didn't know that it depended on the month whether it was the 15th or 13th.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I looked it up, too. I didn't know that it depended on the month whether it was the 15th or 13th.

Me neither. It's a fun little nugget that might just be a Jeopardy clue someday. 🙂

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

You have articulated my exact thoughts better than I ever could!  I am consistently impressed with James and get a very authentic vibe from him.  I don't see him as a show off at all, he is just very efficient and has a strategy that's working.  I did also like Ken but just find the two to be completely different personality wise.  A lot of the complaints sort of sound like sour grapes to me, or wishing they also could be that good (my humble opinion please don't take it personally).  Would any contestant on any game show just be like ok I've won enough and this isn't really fair to any of my challengers, so I'm out!  

What I find fascinating is how there are people (many, many people) who DON'T like James and AREN'T enjoying this.  It just goes to show how people have vastly different tastes and perspectives, and I find that interesting.  I'm loving it and I will certainly miss it when it finally ends.  

• Love 10

I picked Newman just as a wild guess because that was the only last name I could think of to go with any of them, Randy in particular. 

So a few days from passing Ken Jenning's money win total.  Still going strong.  Really only one close call recently I can think of where he has to get FJ and bet enough to win, even then he was ahead going into FJ

I think Alex mentioned James has only missed one FJ.  Pretty impressive. 

Was glad the one guy last night made it into positive territory before FJ

Also I think it doesn't matter as much to me if the games are close because I tune in for the trivia as much as seeing who wins and loses, so games that aren't close still hold my interest.  Its not like a tune out or fast forward once I see he is going to win.  I still watch and listen to all the questions

• Love 10
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Also I think it doesn't matter as much to me if the games are close because I tune in for the trivia as much as seeing who wins and loses, so games that aren't close still hold my interest. 

Same with me.  Most times I really don't care who wins or by how much.  I'm just listening to test myself and to learn new things (mostly learn new things).  The contestants are secondary truthfully.  I guessed Barrymore last night for FJ.  Lionel threw me off.

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Back in Roman times, when I studied Latin in high school, we learned:

In March, July, October, May

The Nones are on the seventh day.

If the Nones are on the seventh day, the Ides are on the fifteenth.

Edited by Sandiscot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

When I studied Latin (in some previous century) we learned that in the 1930s or so, U.S. income tax was due on March 15, so people griped about the ides of March. The due date was later moved to April 15. Many people were surprised to learn that April 15 was not the ides of April, so they had to invent a different complaint.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I hadn’t heard of a single other Newman with the first names listed but when I saw Randy I said Newman inmediately.

I’ve seen a few people say this and I guess I’ve been living in a hole. I had no inkling that Randy Newman came from any kind of storied Hollywood family and thought for sure after seeing Lionel that the answer was Barrymore, since they ARE a well known show business family. I even laughed when the guy first revealed “Newman” because I thought it was a dumb guess. But I suppose that explains why I’m a low scorer in the FJ contest!

• Love 12
10 hours ago, SHD said:

I’ve seen a few people say this and I guess I’ve been living in a hole. I had no inkling that Randy Newman came from any kind of storied Hollywood family and thought for sure after seeing Lionel that the answer was Barrymore, since they ARE a well known show business family. I even laughed when the guy first revealed “Newman” because I thought it was a dumb guess. But I suppose that explains why I’m a low scorer in the FJ contest!

I could have written this post. I was too embarrassed to mention the laughing  - but now that someone else has admitted it, I'll embrace it. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I was so happy for William to have gotten out of the hole and be able to participate in FJ. It’s not easy to get onto the show and play against someone as intimidating as James. So good for him. I did come up with FJ and like so many others it was because of Randy’s name. I was surprised that James answered two questions incorrectly. Especially since I was able to get one of them with my limited knowledge. He honestly blows me away with the scope of what he can answer. 

Shout out to @opus. It was a thrill for me to see your name in a question. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised that James answered two questions incorrectly. Especially since I was able to get one of them with my limited knowledge. He honestly blows me away with the scope of what he can answer.

And the few times he answers incorrectly, about 2 seconds after he’s told he’s wrong you can see him go “Ahhh” and shake his head because he suddenly realized what he should’ve said.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

And the few times he answers incorrectly, about 2 seconds after he’s told he’s wrong you can see him go “Ahhh” and shake his head because he suddenly realized what he should’ve said.

I used to do the same thing watching from home... until I was worried someone would think I'd developed a tic. I think the most wrong questions James has asked is 4 in one game... I'm significantly higher.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/30/2019 at 9:17 PM, secnarf said:

Can I just ask if anybody else knew the date of Shakespeare's birth/death? I got it immediately because it is also my mom's birthday, but if not for that, I can't imagine how in the world I would ever have remembered that bit of trivia.

I didn't know Shakespeare's dates, but now I'll remember, because it's also my mom's birthday! (I assume not the same mom, as I am an only child :))

On 6/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, Clanstarling said:

Same on all counts.

I think it's fun that James makes people want to have conversations about Jeopardy! All the secret fans come out -- even my 22-year-old cousin said to me yesterday that he's looking forward to the Ken/Brad/James faceoff that is surely coming.

• Love 2

In 32 games, he's been wrong 36 times, and he's missed 1 FJ in that time.  When he rings in, 97% of the time he's right.  The FJ total is also 97% right.

Also, he rings in an average of 37 times/game, which is 62% of the clues.

To put it all another way, he rings in on nearly 2/3 of the clues each game and gets virtually all of them correct.  Then, in FJ, he's right virtually all the time.

His weak spot?  Daily Doubles.  He's at a mere 95% right on those.  Thanks to The Jeopardy! Fan for the raw data.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

So James can get off this show, can we just give him his $10 million or $50 million or whatever and leave it at that?  Or how about giving him his own Jeopardy show so us regular humans can watch and play again?

• Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, solarfire said:

Or how about giving him his own Jeopardy show so us regular humans can watch and play again?

I am a "regular human" and I watch and play at home now along with James!!! I will repeat what I have stated before. I love watching someone as quick and smart as James play, look forward to the game everyday and can't wait to see more!!! Everyone who is on the show has an equal chance to win so why are there such "haters"? If you don't like James, don't watch the show( I don't think anyone is having their arm twisted to force them to watch) and let those of who do like him, enjoy his spectacular run.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 18