Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Still on the James train, here.

As for FJ, I got it instantly because the combination of "educational" and "Intertidal Zone" reminded me that the creator of Spongebob studied marine biology at Humboldt State, where my husband also went (later). Of course, I gazed expectantly at said husband during FJ while he said, "umm... I have no idea."  Haha - sometimes I think he tells me things just so he can forget them.

Edited by Etta Place
left out something critical
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Abstract said:

More recycling by the writers. Check out this FJ from June 10, 2004 (Ken Jennings' 7th game):

This title character who debuted in 1999 was created by former marine biology educator Steve Hillenburg

Oooh, maybe the writers are doing a secret homage to Ken by seeing if James knows the answers to Ken's FJs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

My impression has always been that a pergola is a lattice-like structure over a gate in a fence. Oops. I need to correct that impression. My brother & SIL just had one put up over their garden bench and she called it an arbor.  Googling the difference, the pergola doesn't really have sides, but the arbor does - lattice - but a side, nevertheless. So for once, SIL was right about an architectural feature.  (She calls clerestory windows "transoms" even when it's nowhere near a door.) I usually get annoyed at novels that spend too much time describing the architecture when it has no bearing on the story, but looks like I've learned something by osmosis from all that reading.

"Intertidal" was the FJ important part for me. I can't recall the last time I actually watched an animated cartoon, but, like the poster above, cultural osmosis happens.  At first, though, I wasn't sure - I could have easily said "Crabby" from "Mutts" - I know Mutts is considered a comic strip, but the folks who create comic strips are called cartoonists, so why wouldn't their characters be "cartoon characters" ?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know it was only the first round, but those fill-in-the-blank clues were ridiculously simple. 

Pergola was a surprising TS, especially since the clue was accompanied by a picture.

I actually got the 1,000 dollar fill-in-the-blank wrong.  I don't remember what it was, but I remember hitting my head after.

I've never heard of, nor seen, pergola.  So, the TS didn't surprise me at all.

• Love 1

I'll always remember 'pergola' because a not-so-good-friend's marriage broke up over one and it was all she talked about for a few years. Her husband was too busy with his new girlfriend to finish their pergola... truth be told, I'd have done the same if I was married to her! And I'm not even gay 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I thought Sunbrella was a surprising TS. Maybe no one has bought outdoor furniture lately. Sunbrella fabric is the only kind I’ve ever heard of.

I have never heard the word sunbrella. Always thought of them as umbrellas, but then I never bought one.

6 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

You didn't have to be a Dodger fan to run that category.  Couldn't believe how easy those were.  

Goofy woman actually ended up with a halfway decent score.

I was so proud that I even got one baseball clue. Guess I can't say I'm clueless about baseball anymore. 😃

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

was so proud that I even got one baseball clue. Guess I can't say I'm clueless about baseball anymore. 😃

Me, too.  I got infield and Cy Young. Whoo-Hoo!

• Love 2

Good news! Alex is all over the news today with positive results - tumors are shrinking! He attributes his healing partially to the goodwill and love he's received from over 2 million people. I personally love his attitude as it coincides with my thinking and beliefs. The power of love is amazing... now to find a way to have more of it in our world, on our planet, in our hearts.

Send love to everyone you know (even those you don't care for... they need it more than anyone)!

Meanwhile (yes, I'm a Stephen Colbert fan), James continues to win in excess of $77,000 per day on average. Mind-blowing/boggling.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't like vines above my head - spiders and bugs and shit

Oh my!

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At first, though, I wasn't sure - I could have easily said "Crabby" from "Mutts" 

Aw, I love 'Mutts.' His illustrations are wonderful.

4 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I thought Sunbrella was a surprising TS. Maybe no one has bought outdoor furniture lately. Sunbrella fabric is the only kind I’ve ever heard of.

I didn't get this one, but when Alex said it, I kind of did a flashback to 70's game shows where Sunbrella was a sponsor or something. It just seems like something I haven't heard of in a long long time.

• LOL 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, mookster said:

What was Sarah's story? I was in another room and saw the mannerisms but missed the story.

In High School she (and some boy she mentioned; they're always chosen in pairs) was voted:  Most Likely to Rule the World. Then she did some crazy eyes and 'Dr Evil' gestures. It might've had more bite if she wasn't sitting there, halfway through the round at zero. (She also figured that she and the boy most likely... would rule together - until one assassinated the other. James better watch his back in the green room.)

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.  I got infield and Cy Young. Whoo-Hoo!

Cyber high-five! Those were the two this non-sports fan got!

• Love 1

I've been rooting for James all along.  But for some reason that changed yesterday.  I'm tired of him.  I hope he flames out before he beats Ken Jennings in winnings.  I was actually rooting for crazy lady who might rule the world.

I was very happy to hear the news about Alex.

• Love 5
On 5/28/2019 at 7:24 AM, Katy M said:

But, at least that's actually a word, and only wrong due to letter count.  

Also that Maine is not the northernmost state (that would be Alaska) - and I point this out as someone who also said 'northernmost' and took pretty much a full day before I remembered Alaska and realized it was more than just the letter count that was off 😉

• Love 1

Augh!!!!  Severe thunderstorms (not really, compared to what has happened in Ohio, Oklahoma, etc.) have apparently knocked out my local Jeopardy! carrier!  And while I haven't really been paying attention to the games themselves, I have been playing the FJ game.  I hope they're able to get it fixed before 7:30....  (or at the very least, before 8, when The Amazing Race starts!)

It’s been awhile since we’ve had an annoying signaling device masher. It actually put me on edge and made the game a chore to watch.

I’m on a really bad FJ run right now. Ugh.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Also that Maine is not the northernmost state (that would be Alaska) - and I point this out as someone who also said 'northernmost' and took pretty much a full day before I remembered Alaska and realized it was more than just the letter count that was off 😉

Didn't the clue say the "contiguous" US?

I didn't get home until the end of the first round, so I wasn't keeping score as I usually do, so I was getting more annoyed by James since I was completely concentrating on the game, as opposed to marking down numbers.  Just stop winning!!!  I did not know the "ex" daily double either.  I got all the name category right, though.  I'm surprised Nancy wasn't the bottom clue, though.  

I had no idea for final Jeopardy.

I will give this to James, though.  He almost always find some way to pay a compliment to the other contestants at the end.  So, at least he's not a jerk. I'm just sick of him.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

... and we'll look back on these James' days/daze with affection. Trust me.

sloth no GIF

I love this little sloth!

Just for good measure, I can't stand James. I'm happy that some of you have (finally) come over to the dark side with me. It's lovely here.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, lb60 said:
sloth no GIF

I love this little sloth!

Just for good measure, I can't stand James. I'm happy that some of you have (finally) come over to the dark side with me. It's lovely here.

For the record, I've always been on the dark side with you!  🙂

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, I know! We've been at a table for two since the beginning. :-)

Edited to add zoey1996, making us a table for three! :-)

Edited by lb60
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me, too!  In fact, I was the first to state that I didn't like James.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I said "White Sox" but would "Black Sox" also have been ruled correct, do you think?

These days, who knows???  I would say no, since "Black Sox" wasn't the name of the team, only a nickname applied to them after the cheating scandal came to light.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

These days, who knows???  I would say no, since "Black Sox" wasn't the name of the team, only a nickname applied to them after the cheating scandal came to light.

That's sort of how I was thinking too, but it's also a name that refers explicitly and only to that particular 1919 team and game from the clue.  I just wondered if someone had said it, would they get credit.  The world may never know.  (Or saber55 will write on here in a few weeks that they are using the same clue again, and we might find out!)

• Love 1

Hope everyone is o.k. in the storm path.  Great news about Alex!!!! Knew Spongebob immediately yesterday...had a pretty good day today.  I James is just trolling fans at this point.  It is anybody's guess if he breaks the record.  At this point I would not be surprised either way.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Amazing that James got to almost $70,000 despite not getting one of the Daily Doubles.

Do you mean today’s game? Didn’t he get two of them?

12 minutes ago, SHD said:

Do you mean today’s game? Didn’t he get two of them?

I didn't see the first round, but I know he got one of them in the second, and the middle guy got the other one.

• Love 2

I loved the 80's music category. I knew Madame Secretary and Final Jeopardy. I think Austin is envious of James. Austin couldn't beat Brad or Ken he wouldn't stand a chance against James.

• Love 5
Just now, Fex said:

Tonight, I guessed Frankenstein when the category was revealed! That's always satisfying.

There's a Twitter account called Jeopardy Blind Guesses where people compete to guess the answer between the time the category is revealed and when the clue is revealed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was on the phone during the show, so just checked out the clues on the J! Archive.

"Bad" being a TS surprised me; I didn't immediately recognize the lyrics on that one as I did the others in the category, but the content of those lyrics - about doing wrong and being locked up for it - made up for the fact I couldn't initially hear the melody in my head and quickly took me to the title.  Once "Smooth Criminal" was ruled out, I'd have thought someone else would get it.

Madam Secretary surprised me a bit; I've never seen it, but it has been on a while and the job description in the clue got this non-viewer there quickly, so I incorrectly predicted one of them would get it (either knowing it or figuring it out). 

Raising Cain a little bit, too.  I initially said "waking the dead," but then realized the clue said the term referred to someone, so I briefly tried to think of a "waking [Person]" phrase before "raising Cain" popped into my head with a "duh." 

The "Trouble With Names" category was kind of a fun concept; you had to pay attention to the end.  I thought that, other than the final clue, the "Differs By a Vowel" category would have been better placed in the first round.

• Love 2

I ran the TV (even though I've only seen 3/5 shows) and the Trouble with Names categories. Over all I was feeling pretty good through that game, then I bombed FJ. Apparently I know nothing about Mary Shelley other than she wrote Frankenstein. But since that book/author is on frequent rotation in FJ, guess I should learn more about her.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I ran the TV (even though I've only seen 3/5 shows) and the Trouble with Names categories. Over all I was feeling pretty good through that game, then I bombed FJ. Apparently I know nothing about Mary Shelley other than she wrote Frankenstein. But since that book/author is on frequent rotation in FJ, guess I should learn more about her.

I knew her mother was Mary Wollstonecraft, which is probably why the name in FJ did not bring me to her.  

• Love 1

Can 80's music please be a permanent category? lol

Still hate the very sight of James, so instead of watching religiously every day, I'm down to checking in with the show once or twice a week to see how far ahead he is going into FJ.  It kinda makes me sad not to enjoy the show anymore, but I just find him intolerable.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I knew her mother was Mary Wollstonecraft, which is probably why the name in FJ did not bring me to her.  

You will occasionally see her name given as Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin, or Mary Godwin Shelley, although simply Mary Shelley is more common these days.

In any case, I was familiar enough with her to recognize the name William Godwin, so I got FJ immediately.

• Love 1

I had recently watched the movie, Mary Shelley, so it came to me quickly.

Also surprised that Madam Secretary wasn't known.  We've been avid watchers since the beginning.

20 hours ago, Bliss said:

Good news! Alex is all over the news today with positive results - tumors are shrinking! He attributes his healing partially to the goodwill and love he's received from over 2 million people. I personally love his attitude as it coincides with my thinking and beliefs. The power of love is amazing... now to find a way to have more of it in our world, on our planet, in our hearts.

Send love to everyone you know (even those you don't care for... they need it more than anyone)!

Meanwhile (yes, I'm a Stephen Colbert fan), James continues to win in excess of $77,000 per day on average. Mind-blowing/boggling.

That is great news about Alex but I hope he attributed it to modern science, his doctors and his treatment facility. Many, many people who die from cancer have goodwill and love and think positive thoughts. The power of love didn't help them to beat cancer.

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

That is great news about Alex but I hope he attributed it to modern science, his doctors and his treatment facility. Many, many people who die from cancer have goodwill and love and think positive thoughts. The power of love didn't help them to beat cancer.

Actually, even a doctor will tell you that a positive attitude can make a difference. And people sending you love will probably help your attitude.  So, yes, sometimes the power of love does help people beat cancer.  Not all by itself.

• Love 7

It's good news they shrunk more than expected, but his prognosis is still terrible. I think that's getting a bit lost in the shuffle of the announcement.This is like...when he originally announced it was very doom and gloom...and now it's just bad.

• Love 6