Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

You know you're an idiot when you answer "northeasternest."  

I said (mumbled) northernmost. 

2 hours ago, Arkay said:

... he continues to do sneaky little things, like saying "Hi, Natasha" before he gave his response in one of the categories. He's just determined to do his shoutouts, no matter what. I find this highly irritating!

I didn't like that either. He knows he's not supposed to do it, so don't do it. Sheesh!

I got FJ. Seemed obvious even though I didn't know Life had been around that long.

I couldn't remember Janelle Monae's name. Mumbling again, I said Janae Monrae.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don’t know if it’s familiarity breads contempt but James and his attempt to sort of sing the titles in the song category annoyed me.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
On 5/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, Arkay said:

I noticed that, as well, and had the same thought. We have all heard Alex (or the judges) rule someone incorrect for mispronunciation, which is more of the reason that I believe James is getting too much of the kid glove treatment.

It is a longtime Jeopardy rule that there should be nothing written in Final Jeopardy other than the response. James wasn't the first to sneak something in, but since he's lasted so long, they eventually had to shut him down with that.  Therefore, when he did his little fakeout with Vegas, everyone knew that he had just flippantly decided to do it anyway (under the guise of an obviously false wrong answer). It's the same subversive streak that enabled him to not only skip much of school, but to broadcast that on national TV. 

I understand very well that James is the Jeopardy Wunderkind and a total bonanza for the show, and that his unorthodox style of play is totally legit and a very crafty plan. That does NOT mean that he should be allowed to flout the rules of a show that's been on since before James was born.

What's next? He won't answer in the form of a question, and Alex will chuckle? 

Are you insinuating that Jeopardy would allow him to cheat just so he could continue winning?  Because I seriously doubt they would ever allow anything like that.  There are dire consequences for gameshows that feed contestants questions or allow them to do things outside of the rules just so they'll win.   I've noticed other people mentioning that it's odd James can find the DD's and they wonder about that, or that he changes answers and Alex overlooks it.   I don't think he has a "crafty plan".  I think he's just a very smart guy who is winning a lot of money.  I wish I could do what he's doing but unfortunately the only record I'd probably break would be for the most money lost by a contestant.  

• Love 8

I don’t think there’s anything odd about James and the Daily Doubles.  He finds them because he answers most of the questions and he hunts in the middle of the board where they’re most commonly found.

• Love 15

I thought it was Monopoly, too, because the game was originally created to display the evils of capitalism and how landlords are the devil incarnate. But that was only in 1906.

I remember when I was a kid, we had a similar game called Finance. The pieces were wooden and they were just shapes, not things like a Scottie or an iron. The pieces in Sorry look like one of the shapes from Finance.  The cheapest property was Goat Alley.

James finds the DDs because he's the one who rings in & answers correctly most of the time.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

Are you insinuating that Jeopardy would allow him to cheat just so he could continue winning?  Because I seriously doubt they would ever allow anything like that.  There are dire consequences for gameshows that feed contestants questions or allow them to do things outside of the rules just so they'll win.   I've noticed other people mentioning that it's odd James can find the DD's and they wonder about that, or that he changes answers and Alex overlooks it.   I don't think he has a "crafty plan".  I think he's just a very smart guy who is winning a lot of money.  I wish I could do what he's doing but unfortunately the only record I'd probably break would be for the most money lost by a contestant.  

No, I am not insinuating that AT ALL, and I don't know how you surmised this from my post. I was talking about how James is getting away with shoutouts to loved ones and favorite places, which he sneaks in. Not for one second did I suggest he is cheating or that the show is helping him win. That's preposterous. When I said he has a crafty plan,  I was alluding, as I said, to his unorthodox style of play. You know, starting with the highest value questions, building his pot, and then wagering huge amounts. That was his plan before he got on the show, and that is what I was talking about, in the very same sentence where I said it's TOTALLY LEGIT.

I am also unaware of anyone who is confused by his finding the Daily Doubles. Clearly he uncovers almost every clue, so he inevitably gets most of the Daily Doubles.

I thought it was Monopoly but I did play LIFE as a kid, too. That said, my favorite was Shoots & Ladders. That shows my intelligence level. LOL!!! 

Austin Rogers whom I couldn’t stand made a interesting point which I agree with:

“He’s perpetually fascinating, but the games are boring,” Austin Rogers, a New York bartender who won $411,000 over 12 games in a row in 2017, told The Post last month. “It’s like watching a Steph Curry 3-point onslaught and it’s a 131-98 game. What’s the point in that?”

I agree. The games are kinda boring. The other contestants are getting their clocks cleaned. We had one close game last week and that’s been pretty much it. James isn’t cheating but the overall game (for me) is getting old. That said, I’ll continue watching to see how long he lasts & who finally beats him. 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

That said, my favorite was Shoots & Ladders.

Oh my!  That sounds much more adventurous than the Chutes & Ladders I played as a kid. 🙂 

Please forgive, I couldn’t resist!

Edited by pennben
  • LOL 13
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

2/3rds of contestants are going to lose regardless of who they play against.   There’s only one winner.   If you are going to lose, might as well be against one of the best ever.    Makes a great anecdote.    

True, but there are players who, under normal circumstances, would likely win. For, example, Nate from last week. I could see him easily winning multiple games against other non-James players. These are the players I feel bad for— great potential, but terrible timing.

I don’t know what things are considered rules and what are simply things that are frowned upon, but if the producers are letting James get away with some stuff, it’s because they think the audience is enjoying it and because James is bringing in ratings. They would never let him do anything that would compromise the integrity of the game, but they will definitely hand wave some lesser rules for bigger ratings.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, pennben said:

Oh my!  That sounds much more adventurous than the Chutes & Ladders I played as a kid. 🙂 

Please forgive, I couldn’t resist!

Darn spell check.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought maybe there was a suicide square on Monopoly because you lost all your money and had to jump off a building.  Any game with a suicide square doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

What would the temperance square be?  No more drinking?  You automatically win because you stop making bad choices. LOL.

That was my thinking about the suicide square.

12 hours ago, Abstract said:

I almost said Monopoly for FJ, but was pretty sure that was an early-1900s invention. 

Me too.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't remember Janelle Monae's name. Mumbling again, I said Janae Monrae.

I was stunned that I actually got it.

9 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don’t think there’s anything odd about James and the Daily Doubles.  He finds them because he answers most of the questions and he hunts in the middle of the board where they’re most commonly found.

Yep.

• Love 2

I thought James was really impressive last night. He demonstrated a very wide range. His knowledge of cabinet posts is amazing. That is one of the areas all future contestants need to study. I thought the daily doubles were tough too but he knew everything. 

The Munch Munch impressed me!  I didn't know the artists names had to start with C, so I said Mary....and then I needed a few more seconds to bring Cassatt from my brain to my mouth, but alas I'm too slow. Same with Caravaggio, I knew I knew it, so I paused the TV for a second so I could say it before James,  Is it just being 59 that it's taking longer for things I know to be able to come into my brain? It's really depressing!

• Love 6

I didn't think of the Game of Life for FJ;  I said Snakes and Ladders - that sounded like a pretty macabre version of the game and the Victorians seemed to like macabre stuff.

• Love 2

I'm really enjoying James but the shout-outs are annoying. They are obnoxious but I don't think humility is what gets you in such a dominant position as James is in. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Litnit said:

I'm really enjoying James but the shout-outs are annoying.

Finally got to see this episode since the French Open was on yesterday in Jeopardy's place....they at least, did run it at 2:30 in the morning! The funny thing about the "shout out" is that if I had not read about it here, I don't think I would have even heard it! It happened so quickly that I reran it to see if this was everyone was talking about.

What a game...though I wonder why he didn't go for the biggest day's total...he sure had the money to do so. I am still amazed with all the knowledge he has in so many categories so I am still in love with his appearances!

• Love 1

because if he bets it all, and is wrong, his total would be zero and he would lose. he bet the most he could so that if he got it wrong and the other guy got it right and bet it all, he would still win.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Arkay said:

I was talking about how James is getting away with shoutouts to loved ones and favorite places, which he sneaks in.

I have wondered about this as well.  Why is saying "Hi Natasha" not considered his answer?? At the very least, he should wait to say it until AFTER he gives the correct response.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’ll continue watching to see how long he lasts & who finally beats him. 

Every night, I look at my husband and say "How the heck is he EVER gonna lose??" I can't imagine him losing at this point.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought it was Monopoly but I did play LIFE as a kid, too. That said, my favorite was Shoots & Ladders. That shows my intelligence level. LOL!!! 

Austin Rogers whom I couldn’t stand made a interesting point which I agree with:

“He’s perpetually fascinating, but the games are boring,” Austin Rogers, a New York bartender who won $411,000 over 12 games in a row in 2017, told The Post last month. “It’s like watching a Steph Curry 3-point onslaught and it’s a 131-98 game. What’s the point in that?”

I agree. The games are kinda boring. The other contestants are getting their clocks cleaned. We had one close game last week and that’s been pretty much it. James isn’t cheating but the overall game (for me) is getting old. That said, I’ll continue watching to see how long he lasts & who finally beats him. 

My parents had the LIFE board game when I was a kid, but my sister and i mostly played with it to pretend/ make the people drive around in the cars.   Never did play it or learn how.  I DID get the FJ  by guessing, however. 

As far as Austin Rogers’ comment, I agree.  I found myself reaching for the remote when James started to run away with yesterday’s game.   

Edited by Mrs Shibbles
3 hours ago, Julia67 said:

I have wondered about this as well.  Why is saying "Hi Natasha" not considered his answer?? At the very least, he should wait to say it until AFTER he gives the correct response.

He said it very rapidly just before he said "What is...." Therefore, it wasn't considered part of his answer/question. If he said it after his response, I suppose it would be ruled incorrect. I think that's a dangerous game to play with the judges, though. 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Arkay said:

He said it very rapidly just before he said "What is...." Therefore, it wasn't considered part of his answer/question. If he said it after his response, I suppose it would be ruled incorrect. I think that's a dangerous game to play with the judges, though. 

I believe that they can say things before “What/Who is” because sometimes people buzz in and say things like “Um/Oh/Ahhh” like crap what is it, or when they say they answer and forget to phrase it in the form of a question, they can say it correctly again. So technically he’s playing within the rules. I’m sure they’ll tell him no more soon enough. 

• Love 5

RE. Austin.....I'd rather watch 20 boring games of James than 20 minutes of Austin....I found myself reaching for the remote in my very long history of watching Jeopardy when he was on and it had NOTHING to do with the amount of money he was winning....

Maybe I am getting smarter, but in the past few weeks I have been able to pretty much keep up.  Today was not a good day because I do not really enjoy Shakespeare....so sue me! 

I am sure they will stop James from the shout outs soon.  I hope he does break Ken's record of money, but it is doubtful he will break his record for number of games. 

Either way, they are both great players that had interesting runs for different reasons.  

By the way..one day last week one of the contestants that did not compete in final Jeopardy came back out at the end...it made me start to think if they always do that...and then a few games later that person did not come out.....what's the norm on that?  I guess I never paid attention. 

• Love 1

I have to say I am still really enjoying James, this is fun for me!  But regardless, I agree with the posters above, he shouldn’t be doing shoutouts or anything like that after he was told not to.  It is kind of sneaky, he’s doing it in all sorts of ways. Mumbling it ahead of his answer, writing it down then crossing it out on FJ, etc. I saw the poster who mentioned it first, but I never thought he (she?) meant that jeopardy would let him cheat! That’s not what he said at all.   I agree with the poster who said of course they wouldn’t let him cheat but they are looking the other way with the small things.  To me that’s wrong too.  James you’re too good for that, don’t ruin your legacy! You appear to be approaching GOAT status; don’t cheapen it

As far as those who feel bad for the other contestants, I maintain that it’s an even playing field every game. If anything it’s tilted against James, because he is likely worn out from standing for several games in a row and the tension and competition.  As far as getting familiar with the buzzer, I mean many, many people have won on Jeopardy when it was their first day.  I don’t think the buzzer learning curve is what’s keeping them from beating him.  They have the same chance as he does.  Try to beat him!

I feel worse for Scottie Pippin, Phil Mickelson, Joe Frazier, Peyton Manning, etc.  all of whom would be the best except they played during the time of Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Mohammed Ali, and Tom Brady. At least the contestants on jeopardy have a shot!

• Love 7

Wow, that Sara was something else! And she came so close to running the Shakespeare category, which makes me think I need to look in the archive for these past weeks and see how James has done on Shakespeare. It couldn't be a weakness, could it? I mean, that's one of the big 3 things you have to know, along with American presidents and world capitals.

• Love 3

I know it was only the first round, but those fill-in-the-blank clues were ridiculously simple. 

Pergola was a surprising TS, especially since the clue was accompanied by a picture.

Based on the category, I figured I wouldn't get FJ (I've seen very little that is animated), but "intertidal" did the trick to make it a pretty quick guess; yay for cultural osmosis.

Sara strikes me as someone completely comfortable with her somewhat-awkward personality, and I like that, so I was rooting for her (also because it would be nice to see a stay-at-home mom win).  I liked her face when Alex asked her why her classmates voted her most likely to rule the world; that is, of course, the natural question for that story, but the way he said it came off as "You? Why would you of all people rule the world" rather than the same inquiry he'd make of anyone.  Granted, I also liked his "You're scaring me" and backing away.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

“He’s perpetually fascinating, but the games are boring,” Austin Rogers,

I'm not at all bored with these games, just amazed by James.  I WAS bored with Austin and his act after his second game.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Based on the category, I figured I wouldn't get FJ (I've seen very little that is animated), but "intertidal" did the trick to make it a pretty quick guess; yay for cultural osmosis.

All I could come up with was Pogo. I was way off.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I thought James was really impressive last night. He demonstrated a very wide range.

Yes, and I was quite impressed by his knowledge tonight. Seems like some nights this is more noticeable than others.

...I knew I knew it, so I paused the TV for a second so I could say it before James

It's the small pleasures, isn't it!

I did get pergola, so yay me.

For FJ, at first I thought it was Nemo[,Finding], but then I realized clown fish weren't tidal creatures. Then I thought of starfish, and then Patrick, from Spongebob Squarepants. Then I thought, "Hey, aren't sponges tidal creatures?" And thus is the story of how I came to the correct response of Spongebob Squarepants.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know it was only the first round, but those fill-in-the-blank clues were ridiculously simple. 

Pergola was a surprising TS, especially since the clue was accompanied by a picture.

I know what a pergola is so I got that answer, but what is the point of such a ridiculous structure? It doesn't provide shade, or shelter from the rain. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I know what a pergola is so I got that answer, but what is the point of such a ridiculous structure? It doesn't provide shade, or shelter from the rain. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think if you are actually a committed gardener with attendant green thumbs and lots of time, you could grow some kind of climbing plant up it to provide shade and prettiness.  That's probably about 1% of the people who actually buy a pergola.  So yes, ridiculous!

• Love 3

More recycling by the writers. Check out this FJ from June 10, 2004 (Ken Jennings' 7th game):

This title character who debuted in 1999 was created by former marine biology educator Steve Hillenburg.

(edited)

I think they're softballing the daily doubles to this guy.  The first daily double of Double Jeopardy is always the question where he pulls away from the others.  He'll jump from around $15,000 to over $25,000 and it's game over.  But I've noticed that I've been getting a lot of these daily doubles right, and I'm not dumb, but I shouldn't be getting that many of them right lol.  And the Batista one was about as easy as it gets for him.  I know, anyone can technically hit a daily double, but he hits them far more and the producers know that.  And they know he bets big.  Missing a hard daily double is the difference between having $25,000 and having $5,000, which would make the Double Jeopardy round suddenly a contest.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

know what a pergola is so I got that answer, but what is the point of such a ridiculous structure? It doesn't provide shade, or shelter from the rain. Can anyone enlighten me?

Been wondering about that ever since I first heard of them.  Useless, not that attractive, and taking up lots of space.   I did get it right though!  But I still don’t like them

got sunbrella too because when my patio umbrella broke and I went to replace it, turns out the fabric is sunbrella and it’s a big brand 

Surprised those were triple stumpers, because both of those backyard questions I would expect someone like James, who lives in a hot weather environment, and knows just about everything, would easily get.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I think if you are actually a committed gardener with attendant green thumbs and lots of time, you could grow some kind of climbing plant up it to provide shade and prettiness.  That's probably about 1% of the people who actually buy a pergola.  So yes, ridiculous!

So much prettier and easier to just have a trellis then!  Can’t figure out the attraction of a pergola at all 

• Love 3

Today's contestant, Jim-Bob Williams of St. Albans, West Virginia, is from my neck of the woods, so the local Jeopardy station did a brief story on him on this evening's news.  

The episodes that are being shown this week are from the day that Alex Trebek announced that he had pancreatic cancer.  I hope he made the announcement at the end of the taping sessions.  I don't think I could concentrate on playing the game after receiving that bombshell.  I'd be in tears,

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I’ve wondered that since my neighbor got one. Near as I can tell, it makes a great jungle gym for squirrels and gives birds plenty of perching places so they can poop all over whatever you put under it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I have friends who have a lovely pergola with wisteria and it’s absolutely gorgeous and I have seen a lot of nice ones with grape vines and roses.

Another IG for Fj despite the fact I haven’t seen an episode.

• Love 2

I know someone with an absolutely wonderful pergola. It has vine plants across the top to provide shade for the table underneath, and the open structure around the sides allows for plenty of light. 

If I remember correctly, she grows beans along the beams, so you can snack while chatting at the table, too. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Hm, maybe it's living in the Los Angeles climate, but I would never had guessed so many people found pergolas useless.  They're - when done right, like anything else - a beautiful combination of wood and plant (the plant isn't necessary, but a nice touch in general and pretty important where the beams are spaced far apart - which, come to think of it, was an issue with the pictured one) and provide the filtered sun (rather than a solid top that blocks too much sun much of the year) and breeze most want from a patio covering here.

Regardless of personal preference among the audience, the wording of the clue plus the picture caused me surprise when none of the contestants got it.  Sunbrella in that same category, on the other hand, I correctly predicted would be a TS when no one rang in right away; that's a good bit more specific.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, whinewithwine said:
16 hours ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

He’s perpetually fascinating, but the games are boring,” Austin Rogers,

I'm not at all bored with these games, just amazed by James.  I WAS bored with Austin and his act after his second game.

I feel the same!  Not bored at all in fact I look forward to jeopardy each day now rather than just turning it on out of habit and to test my knowledge/learn some new things. Austin was ok but his schtick was a little too fake seeming. Even if James is doing little sneaky shoutouts or what not I don’t mind, I think the James haters will dislike him either way. 

Im a stay at home mom so I really wanted to root for the lady, but she was just a little too off her rocker. She did pretty well though. I loved Alex saying “you’re scaring the hell out of me”. Heh. 

• Love 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I wouldn't have known the word "pergola" (though I've seen plenty)  if I hadn't been working on a website where one of the facilities we rent has one. I require shade - and I don't like vines above my head - spiders and bugs and shit (not literal - but maybe).

10 hours ago, Abstract said:

More recycling by the writers. Check out this FJ from June 10, 2004 (Ken Jennings' 7th game):

This title character who debuted in 1999 was created by former marine biology educator Steve Hillenburg.

If only they waited 14 years for all their recycled clues. 🙂

1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

I feel the same!  Not bored at all in fact I look forward to jeopardy each day now rather than just turning it on out of habit and to test my knowledge/learn some new things. Austin was ok but his schtick was a little too fake seeming. Even if James is doing little sneaky shoutouts or what not I don’t mind, I think the James haters will dislike him either way. 

Im a stay at home mom so I really wanted to root for the lady, but she was just a little too off her rocker. She did pretty well though. I loved Alex saying “you’re scaring the hell out of me”. Heh. 

It was a little strange, but to cut her some slack, I thought that maybe this is a story she tells regularly, complete with expressions and gestures, and it works well when she's relaxed and at home, but when she was in the spotlight in front of a huge audience, she stumbled and didn't quite hit her expressions and marks as well as she does normally.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

This forum is almost as much fun as the James! show. (I'm a James fan as far as his intelligence, speed, feistiness, philanthropy, wit, and hair are concerned. He gets bonus points from me for being a 'non-jerky' player. The buzzer flailers/clickers really drive me crAzy.)

I never know what I'll get (watching J! or reading here)... and I'm always amused. Sometimes I'm amused by what ticks others off, or what annoys people, and am reminded of a valuable lesson, "don't sweat the small stuff".

As for J!, I'm enjoying the ride. Nothing lasts forever... and we'll look back on these James' days/daze with affection. Trust me.

Cyber Hugs to those brave ones, attempting to de-throne him.

• Love 16