Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Jim-Bob and Michelle must have noticed by now that the general reaction to this wedding was "meh" and/or feeling sad for Josiah. I hope they don't take it out on HIM.

I think you're right, and I wonder if that wasn't the impetus behind the most recent video -- which did nothing to make anyone think that this wedding was anything other than sad.

• Love 4

Josiah is the only Duggar child that actually has any ability to compare one girlfriend/boyfriend to another, and there had to have been comparisons to Marjorie other places than here. Right?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Josiah is the only Duggar child that actually has any ability to compare one girlfriend/boyfriend to another, and there had to have been comparisons to Marjorie other places than here. Right?

It's human nature to compare things. There is no doubt that Si has compared. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Josiah's failed first courtship definitely gave him the opportunity to compare Marjorie with Lauren. However, I think there's a downside. After one broken courtship, he must have been under intense pressure not to have a second. There had to be a wedding this time come hell or high water. In the honeymoon video, he looks relieved. Lauren, on the other hand, looks like she'd rather be anyplace else. In the world most of us inhabit, people date, usually multiple men or women, before settling down with one or with no one. And settling down doesn't necessarily mean marriage. Cohabitation is common and people are marrying later in general. Girls Lauren's age are usually in college or entering the world of work, while her lot in life is to breed and look adoringly at her husband who possesses all the power in the relationship. Judging by that video, just a week into a lifetime commitment, she's already feeling the weight of fundie marriage expectations bearing down on her in a way that's hard to watch. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 7

How would JB know interest in Si's wedding was less then any of the other weddings? The episode hasn't aired, so there's no ratings to compare and it seems both Fundies and snarkers continue to show interest.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

How would JB know interest in Si's wedding was less then any of the other weddings? The episode hasn't aired, so there's no ratings to compare and it seems both Fundies and snarkers continue to show interest.

They read online.  We know they monitor social media.  I don’t know that there’s been a lack of interest in the latest nuptials as much as the major reaction online sees to be dismay at how unhappy Si looks and how naive Lauren seems to be.

• Love 6

i’ve been withholding judgement on her dress until I saw a full length photo. I really like it. I think I prefer it with her sleeves alteration. and I love the lace back (but im the type of girl who loves a good surprise back.)

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

If someone did that to my car, I'd be furious.  At least with balloons, shoes, etc. you can quickly remove them, and whipped cream can be washed off going through a car wash.  How do you get those post-its off except one by one?  Or maybe they'll speed down the highway and leave a trail of litter the entire way.

I agree with you. Why couldn't they use those pens to write on windows with? Just one more waste of paper with the Duggars.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 1:00 AM, madpsych78 said:

Based on that picture with the parents, I wonder if Jedidiah was the best man.

ETA: If he was, then every Duggar son has chosen the next younger brother to be the best man (i.e., Josh chose JD, Joe chose Josiah), which means if the trend continues, Joe will likely be JD's best man if/when he and Abbie get married.

No idea who the best man was, but I'm pretty sure that's Joseph in the picture.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Covering a car in Post-It notes sounds like a lot more fun than a Fundy reception. 

Here’s photos of the reception 

i guess this is the gummi worm buffet?

• Love 1

It looks like they went to Costco or Sam's Club and bought a big bag of several different types of candy & just poured them into containers they already had. These people are so cheap!

• Love 13

Too much gummi, IMO.  I mean, I like gummies - a fair bit - but if I go to a wedding I don't expect it as my main meal/largest course.  I feel like a "candy bar" would in fact have things mixed up with more chocolate, etc. type pieces; because while they may not be healthy they at least have some dairy, which strikes me as sturdier than gelatin.  From the point of "nutrition" it's, of course, appalling either way; but some part of me finds it funny that a group would contemplate having cake AND lots of sugar-rolled candy as appropriate sustenance.  It seems to me like a "candy bar" would be more worthwhile at a corporate retreat or something, where there's no expectation of cake.    

• Love 6
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

The article claims that the wedding was thrown together at the last minute. I don't know who would believe this article since you really can't book a wedding without notice.

That's a paraphrase, IMO, and just says they were having trouble pulling everything together, not starting it from scratch:

According to the exclusive source, the person who organized this event was still striving to get everything together right up to the time that the bride and groom arrived at the church.

The wedding planner is said to have been a family friend who did everything for free. It was also revealed that this person had previously appeared on 19 Kids and Counting when it was airing on TLC. When the festivities are shown during the upcoming season of Counting On premiering on July 30, Michelle will supposedly make it a point to thank the planner for such a lovely wedding.

Ha, who was it that said the table strewn with white chocolate dipped strawberries seemed like Sierra, because the above certainly sounds like they're throwing Sierra under the bus, without using her name; unless they in fact used some other planner we've discussed and whom I've forgotten about.

Edited by queenanne
can't get rid of quote box around my words (again)
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Nysha said:

It looks like they went to Costco or Sam's Club and bought a big bag of several different types of candy & just poured them into containers they already had. These people are so cheap!

I vote that they went to a dollar store for the candy.

• Love 12
(edited)

The candy may well have been left over from some previous Duggar wedding. They buy in bulk, so it may also have been sitting in the back of a cupboard unopened for months or years. Who knows. I have never been to a wedding where hundreds of people showed up and were fed only sugar. It's just bizarre. I have been to a couple of weddings where food was limited to hor d'oeuvres, finger sandwiches, and cake -- which was fine. No one went away hungry or on a sugar high. I just find it incredibly rude to invite hundreds of people and refuse to provide even the simpliest meal. I hope some Duggar down the line puts his or her foot down, insists on inviting close friends and family only, and sets out something resembling real food.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

The article claims that the wedding was thrown together at the last minute. I don't know who would believe this article since you really can't book a wedding without notice.

Also that wedding was last minute because the registry listed the wedding date as sometime in December and the wedding had to be moved up because Lauren was already pregnant.

I think the December date was Josiah's birthday. The Duggars should use a date on the registry that is closer to the real date if they want to stop the shotgun wedding rumors.

• Love 4

I don't think they care about the rumors. For them, any news is good news. They use the rumors as proof to their followers that they're being persecuted for their beliefs.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Also that wedding was last minute because the registry listed the wedding date as sometime in December and the wedding had to be moved up because Lauren was already pregnant.

I think the December date was Josiah's birthday. The Duggars should use a date on the registry that is closer to the real date if they want to stop the shotgun wedding rumors.

This is why the article is so bogus.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

More people at the wedding equals more presents and famewhoring.

It also shows how many "friends" they have and how beloved they are in their community.

• Love 9

The Duggar-sized Duggar weddings are a trend now. Jim Bob and Mullet can't very well give kid #12 a wedding with 300 guests when kids 1-11 had 1000 in attendance (I think Smuggar and Ofsmuggar had "only" 500, but that was before the family had their own regular show). People would talk! 

The same goes for the Bateses. Their #16 will have a giant wedding because all the kids before her did. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

It also shows how many "friends" they have and how beloved they are in their community.

And then the exclusive after party back on the compound to let their special friends know how special the Duggs really think they are.  Only in their world is it acceptable to tell someone "thanks for traveling 500 miles, here's a sliver of cake, now go so we can eat without you." 

• Love 22

Pickles claims there was a meal at the reception.

I am going to break with most folks and say i don’t think it’s a requirement that guests be served a full meal at a wedding reception. Where i’m from, most families are of modest means and a plain cake and punch reception is a pretty common thing. My reception was at 2 pm and we just did a variety of hot and cold appetizers and then cake. Nobody is going to starve to death in two or three hours. I’m sure there was a chik-fil-A nearby for guests who got desperate.

• Love 23
(edited)
19 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I am going to break with most folks and say i don’t think it’s a requirement that guests be served a full meal at a wedding reception. Where i’m from, most families are of modest means and a plain cake and punch reception is a pretty common thing. My reception was at 2 pm and we just did a variety of hot and cold appetizers and then cake. Nobody is going to starve to death in two or three hours. I’m sure there was a chik-fil-A nearby for guests who got desperate.

I always look at food as a payback for wedding gifts.  If someone gives you a nice gift for your wedding, it's just a nice thing to do to give them a full stomach at the reception.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 16
41 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And then the exclusive after party back on the compound to let their special friends know how special the Duggs really think they are.  Only in their world is it acceptable to tell someone "thanks for traveling 500 miles, here's a sliver of cake, now go so we can eat without you." 

You would think, but my great aunt and uncle had a party for their wedding anniversary, something like their 60 or 70th, I'm not sure which. Apparently my mom found out they were having  a small church service and then a dinner, but she was only invited to one half. Again, I'm not sure which half she was invited to, but she was really insulted she wasn't good enough to be invited to both halves, so she refused to go. This was at least 10 years ago, maybe 15, so that makes it even tackier on my aunt's part given her age. She should have had better manners. 

14 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

And let's be honest, anyone going to a Duggar reception knows what to expect. They've been to other of the same type of receptions. Now if I was attending my first fundie reception, I might be surprised, but they aren't. I will say, when my uncle married his last wife and her wedding shower was held at a fancy yacht club, we were very surprised when not only was there little more than a tiny cheese tray and the bartender told us we had to pay for drinks, fountain drinks, not alcohol. Little did we know that would be the least tacky thing to happen since the maid of honor (who did end up telling the bartender she was paying for the drinks) handed out little bottles of home made bath salts with her name and number on them so you could call and buy some from her. And these were like 50 year old women and the bride was a child psychologist, so certainly not young people who didn't know better. Since the shower was at like 1 in the afternoon, all the guests expected food. We promptly hit a Burger King on the way home. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

The Duggar-sized Duggar weddings are a trend now. Jim Bob and Mullet can't very well give kid #12 a wedding with 300 guests when kids 1-11 had 1000 in attendance (I think Smuggar and Ofsmuggar had "only" 500, but that was before the family had their own regular show). People would talk! 

The same goes for the Bateses. Their #16 will have a giant wedding because all the kids before her did. 

And because all the people from the first wedding will be invited and they will have been fruitful and multiplied since. 

No seriously, part of the reason these weddings are so huge is that so many of the families are huge. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's a really sparse candy bar.

And not decorated very nicely. Doesn't look like too many spoons or scoops. I love love Gummies, but would probably have taken a few, if any, knowing where they came from. 

I remember Amy Roloff did  a really nice candy bar at one of the showers or receptions. I think she was afraid she wasn't going to get it done in time. IIRC, she did colored wrapped Hershey Kisses which made it look nice.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I always look at food as a payback for wedding gifts.  If someone gives you a nice gift for your wedding, it's just a nice thing to do to give them a full stomach at the reception.

Sooooo, with that said, what do you the the Duggars, et al, give for wedding gifts to their fellow fundy peeps? I can’t imagine they give anything near a reasonable amount. Even assuming the marrieds give their own gift (I know, I had a glass of wine) they would still have double-digit people attending. 

What do you think?

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Or at least some munchies that aren't total sugar.  Considering these are famous people with presumably some means, there's nothing wrong with some cold cuts and cheese platters, and a veggie platter as well.  No muss, no fuss.  Stores everywhere have them, and it wouldn't have busted the bank.

I'm sure all the kids were happy, and probably hyped up beyond bedtime.  

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, Hpmec said:

The candy may well have been left over from some previous Duggar wedding. They buy in bulk, so it may also have been sitting in the back of a cupboard unopened for months or years. Who knows.

Something something buy used save the difference something something something-Jim Bob Duggar, probably

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 1

Mr. Six & I come from the semi-famous land of the cookie table.  We were married in October 2002, had 234 invited, and 161 (excluding bridal party) show.  It was a 300pm ceremony, and the reception was about 20 minutes away at a hotel.  It was very, very common for a mid-afternoon ceremony with an evening reception that included a full meal and cake.  A punch and cake reception would be very outside of the norm in our area, and may not be heavily attended.  

We attended a family wedding last August, and they had a candy bar set up.  It had very traditional options with 'penny candy' sweets-fireballs, Pixie Stix,  rock candy, etc.  They also had stations with appetizers, bar, full meal, and cupcakes.  It was all very tastefully done and didn't scream tacky.  Tacky also seems to be the theme with this family though.

• Love 13
(edited)
4 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Or at least not leave them totally starving, and especially taking into account that even amongst the Duggars, there are surely some attendees for whom this must be a "destination wedding" and who might be partially "stuck" at the wedding for a long time in between wedding and ceremony. 

I also agree that if folks have served appetizers at their own weddings in addition to the candy bar, that implies (a) salt/savory; and (b), probably some type of meat for those who like meat; and if they're served sandwiches, that at least generally means some combination of the above, plus something refreshing and watery like lettuce, cucumbers, etc., mixed in.  It's not just a big blob of thirst-inducing sugar!

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 6