Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Refugees from a war-torn country start showing up to seek asylum in an American town. Only the country these people are from is America and the war they are fleeing is 250 years in the future. The local sheriff with a past, a federal agent and a mother in search of her missing refugee daughter drive this allegory with a surprising conspiracy at the center.

Please note that the pilot has been released early online on multiple platforms. This thread will be open for anyone wanting to discuss the pilot before the official premiere date. So if you have not watched the pilot yet, there will be spoilers.

This  episode type  of show is in my wheelhouse.. Enjoyed the pilot... Did see that Nat Martinez was gonna be one of the apex ppl a mile away... Same for Jay karnes' character being an earlier refugee... I hope caleb and Rebecca don't turn out  to be bad ppl.. The actress has played some hard core ladies in the past... Biggest gripe was the little girl.. Not her performance per we.. Just the casting... Were there no little girls of color.. If she's the biological child of Reece she is mighty white.. And if she isn't.. If its some kind of mother daughter relationship but not by blood.. Then it really coulda been opened up.. Small nitpicks but just something that seems like it wouldn't have taken much effort to do.. 

• Love 8

This was right up my alley. It did have vibes like the 4400 but I liked that show. The Apex are a little Xmen, maybe they aren't bad just misunderstood or oppressed.  I didn't guess that the senior agent was one of them, I should have I guess.

• Love 6

I figured that the girl's mother was an Apex, but I didn't guess about the Homeland guy also being from the future. Of course naming a time traveler Reese did remind me of an other time traveling franchise with a character named Reese.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I didn't guess about the Homeland guy also being from the future.

Me neither... until I saw him on that bridge.  As soon as I saw that, I knew that guy was as dead as Kelsey's nuts.

• Love 4

The visuals at the beginning were stunning. And that was pretty much the only good thing about this episode. I predict a lot of interpersonal drama between characters in the future and not a lot of plot. This does look like a The 4400 rip-off, though.

• Love 6

I don't feel ordinary, suburban life and enhanced humans go well together. It feels too dull of a setting, and you know the show is going to be basically people gossiping and hiding their abilities from town folk all the time.

The conspiracy has a tiny bit of my attention. But overall, i'm not hooked by this. I can see the time travel and the Apex storylines being downplayed.

• Love 2

I hadn't read/seen anything about this show but from the title, I was hoping it was a take off of The Bridge. No such luck. The Crossing is bad,folks. Maybe it's OK if you like sci fi but otherwise, give it a pass.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, rhys said:

I hadn't read/seen anything about this show but from the title, I was hoping it was a take off of The Bridge. No such luck. The Crossing is bad,folks. Maybe it's OK if you like sci fi but otherwise, give it a pass.

I kinda feel like if we are posting about specific points in the pilot we know  its sci fi... Thanks for the heads up? 

• Love 10

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I just hope there's no chain sawing or equally gratutious violence and horror like Invasion devolved into.

ON MARCH 19, 2018 AT 3:53 PM, UNOSEZ SAID:

Biggest gripe was the little girl.. Not her performance per we.. Just the casting... Were there no little girls of color.. If she's the biological child of Reece she is mighty white.. And if she isn't.. If its some kind of mother daughter relationship but not by blood.. Then it really coulda been opened up.

I'd be okay with the casting of the little blond girl if the point was that in the future color was no longer an issue but race still was—and if they handle that point significantly well.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'd be okay with the casting of the little blond girl if the point was that in the future color was no longer an issue but race still was—and if they handle that point significantly well.

Well all that could be true if they casted a lil Asian or native American or East Indian or Middle Eastern or Black girl... But they didn't.. They cast a very European looking little girl.. And I'm sure she will be fine.. And the explanation could be some kind of post racial yadda yadda.. But more likely it'll be the good ol "hitch the minority actress with the white guy" that I've seen play out over and over... Hopefully it doesn't detract  from what I hope is a super enjoyable early summer show

• Love 1

It was okay, kind of predictable with the revelations of that Under Secretary being dodgy and a member of the previous group, though I did appreciate that the Apex's had won the genetic war, since I always hated the premise that robots/humans would manage a superiority in the Marvel universe when you had mutants that could rewrite reality. 

Kind of curious as to how much chaos will be caused by 50 people with future knowledge. 

• Love 3

The series has potential, but the pilot has too much missed potential for me to be confident in the future direction of the series.  A pilot, especially in the current environment, has to hit the ground running, and this feels a bit too flat, both plot-wise and character-wise.

Though, I'm not sure if this "flatness" is the creators attempting to keep things mysterious or just lazy writing/planning.

Missed Opportunities:

• The Future as Prologue: The pilot should have started with a more attention-grabbing action opening, which would have lessened the need for exposition later in the episode.  Something where we get (1) a glimpse of the destruction, chaos, and desperation of the future "War"; (2) quick establishing scenes of the key Refugees; and (3) a last minute escape by the Refugees via the time travel device, right before the facility is destroyed.  For example, the pilot episode of Syfy's Continuum spent the first five to ten minutes in the future, before sending the future protagonist and antagonists back to our present day.
  • Better-Defined Characters: Right now, most of the Refugees are too much of a blank slate, so it's hard to get interested in their stories. As mentioned above, a future prologue with establishing scenes, or at least future "flashback" vignettes for key Refugees would have helped significantly. Also, some hints of some of the Refugees having secrets and/or not being who they say they are.  For example, at the end of the episode, the "Hannah" character (Kelly Missal), was shown as not being able to use a door key. Afterwards, there could have been a reveal where she's expertly picking the lock of her cabin's safe, indicating that Hannah could be something other than just a "sweet" girl.*
  • Characters We Can Root For: So far, it's hard to root for any specific characters. The Refugees say that they are refugees, but with the lack of a future prologue or any future "flashbacks," all we have is just their "word." Even the male lead character, Sheriff Ellis, is problematic, with the ambiguous "Oakland" thing.
  • Involvement of the Locals: As of now, the only notable local characters are the Sheriff and the Deputy.  And, all the Refugees (except Reece) were kept at the beach and are now at the campground site, away from the local townspeople. For dramatic purposes, this is all a bit too neat. Things may change in upcoming episodes, but keeping the Refugees sequestered greatly reduces the potential for chaos and drama. A better alternative would have been to introduce local characters through (1) a "Cajun Navy" situation where locals with boats are rescuing survivors and recovering corpses; and (2) Other locals opening up an impromptu shelter for the Refugees, say at a school or church.
  • Better-Defined Conflicts: Most of the Refugees are just kind-of here, with vague motivations (escaping the unseen future "War"). There are no obvious life-or-death conflicts, other than the nebulous conspiracy of the First (Known) Group of Time Travelers Who Do Not (Yet) Have A Catchy Name For Their Cabal. Nor is there any "Us" versus "Them" between the Refugees and the Townspeople, or even the Refugees/Townspeople versus the Feds. This also feeds back into the sequestering of the Refugees. If the Refugees had been taken in by the Townspeople, there could have been a quarantine situation where the Feds put the town under lockdown, perhaps even with ICE forcibly rounding up the refugees.  (Of course, there's the classic local-versus-federal jurisdiction issue, but, as mentioned below, Sheriff Ellis, conceded that without a fight, at least, for now.) There's also the "Apex" versus everything they deem inferior, but as of now, that conflict is only in the future, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Apex operatives in a potential future season.

Quibbles:

• Jurisdictional Issues: The Sheriff was way too nonchalant about the Feds taking over. A throwaway line or one-sided telephone conversation scene where the  state's governor tells the Sheriff to let the Feds handle everything would have been sufficient.  However, from a dramatic point of view, this is another missed opportunity, as the whole incident should involve an alphabet soup of agencies and authorities, especially in the chaos of trying to understand the situation.
  • Where's the Future Tech? Not one of the Refugees apparently brought even a smartphone or smartwatch with them? What about a war veteran with a robotic prosthesis?
  • Where's an Immigration Attorney When You Need One? As of now, the Refugees are just going along with their sequestration, without any specific leader or anyone to advocate for them and/or to protect their interests (like not being locked up forever in a government facility). Perhaps this will be addressed in future episodes, but given that this series is implied to be an "allegory" about immigration, it lacks a specific character to voice the nuances of the refugee's side of the debate.
    • Plus, there are the fun questions like, is a future United States citizen a United States Citizen, here and now?
    • Also, only the Cocky Guy Who Knows Things seemed to be the only one interested in actually using his future knowledge to make a deal with the government (though that could be because he's the least savvy of the survivors).
  • Infectious Diseases? No Problems! No one seems to be worried about causing an epidemic from a deadly future superbug or virus (to which current humans have no natural immunity) that a Refugee may be carrying.  Not the Refugees who should know better, nor one of the authorities who, after learning about Reece's displays of superhuman abilities, might think about taking this time travel notion seriously.

Things I Learned:

• Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) is a real agency, being the "investigations" side of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  • The original surname of Sandrine Holt's character (Emma Ren) was "Peralta," which is of Spanish origin, so I'm guessing that the creators originally envisioned the character as most likely having Mexican, or perhaps Central American heritage, assuming that her story of "dangerous men" was true. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if she also turns out to be from the future.

*Regarding the character of Hannah...

Spoiler

In the promotional description of the series (abc.go.com), Hannah is described as being a "gritty survivor" --

Hannah (Kelley Missal), whose sweet exterior masks a gritty survivor who has learned the hard way what it takes to survive

Which is not something that is really "shown" in the pilot episode, nor even really implied.

• Love 2

I don't know why I let ABC lure me into watching another sci fi series.  They have a bad track record.  Fast Forward (1 season, still angry about this one)  Resurrection (2 seasons)  Time After Time (1 season)  They start a new series and then abandon it, leaving a ton of unanswered questions.  They did manage a long run with Lost, but left many unanswered questions.  <-- I know, that one was the directors/producers/writers, not the network.

I'm going to give it a chance.  I just don't have faith they will let the series run its course.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m leery about anything the people ‘who brought you Lost’ put out. I’m intrigued by the pilot to give it a chance.  Leia is mostly likely Reese’s daughter. 

To be fair it only said from "the network that brought you Lost," which was so random that I wish they had said from "the network that brought you Family Matters." 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13
(edited)

Bold, ABC!  You have a brand spanking new sci-fi show, and you roll the dice and bring in Natalie "Under the Dumb... err, Dome" Martinez and Simone "Terra Nova" Kessell, to remind me of those less then stellar sci-fi shows (to be fair, Kessell was one of the things about her former show.)

Anyway, it was decent enough to keep watching but I'm prepared for it to either a) fall apart and become a convoluted mess or b) do poorly in the ratings and it gets canceled with a bunch of loose threads and answers that will never be discovered.

I did enjoy the twist with Jay Karnes being part of the first invaders, even though I saw it coming, since Jay Karnes characters are never to be trusted.

I can already tell that I'm going to grow tired of the cutesy romance between the refugee and solider.

Nothing against Steve Zahn or his performance, but opposite of Rick Gomez, its the latter I find more believable as a sheriff.  Then again, all the moments of his deputy trying to get info from the sheriff makes me think he'll also be on the first invaders.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

Huh. This was a bit odd. It kept setting off the "Hey, this seems a lot like The 4400" bells in my head. Like, wow, it seems like they used some of the same shooting locations as The 4400 - and, uh, one of the people surviving being an 8-ish year old white blonde girl is also a *lot* like 4400. This show has enough interesting stuff for me to come back for a few more episodes, but I hope it gives off less 4400 vibes, because oh boy, this seems a hell of a lot like it so far.

• Love 3

Not a bad pilot, all things considered.  I am intrigued enough to keep watching, even though I realize there's a decent possibility I'll be disappointed by bad plot development or early cancellation.

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the Pacific Northwest scenery.

• Love 5
On 3/19/2018 at 3:43 PM, Arynm said:

This was right up my alley. It did have vibes like the 4400 but I liked that show. The Apex are a little Xmen, maybe they aren't bad just misunderstood or oppressed.  I didn't guess that the senior agent was one of them, I should have I guess.

To reference a much older sci-fi show, I see them more as Khan's cohort in Star Trek (the original show, and various movies - but not the one with Benedict Cumberbatch because...please, no.)

On 3/20/2018 at 8:50 PM, Netfoot said:

Me neither... until I saw him on that bridge.  As soon as I saw that, I knew that guy was as dead as Kelsey's nuts.

I guessed as soon as the guy said others had come before. There was something about the way he was when he met with the agent that connected with me at that point.

I enjoyed this. It's the pilot episode and I don't expect anything in depth at this point. I figure there will be flashbacks (well, forwards) and more back (forward?) story as things progress.

• Love 2

This reminded me of The Event.

I'll try another few episodes.

The daughter being blonde doesn't bother me as I knew a Native American who has a blonde, blue-eyed niece. Genetics can do weird, weird things. 

• Love 4

They made it look like the Apex people had taken over and were trying to wipe out the "regular" human beings. I think there's going to be a twist (based on Reece) that it's the regular humans trying to wipe out the Apexers and all the refugees are Apex, giving it even more of a 4400 vibe. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Not bad for the pilot episode.  They hooked me enough to tune in for another episode or two, and then I'll see from there. 

As other people have mentioned, my main nitpick is on the issue of race, in that race is still pretty clearly recognized.  I'd think that in another 4-5 generations there will be a lot more bi/multi-racial people and blonde hair/blue eyes will be a rarity.  But, I realize it would probably be hard to cast an entire show with only racially ambiguous looks, so I'm willing to do a hand waive on this.

But there's no way a crisis like this would be happening and they wouldn't get every Joe with a boat out there in the water to help.  That would have been irresponsible of the Sheriff to NOT put the call out for help - when the survivors were discovered there was no reason to suspect it was Fed only territory, and even if, there's no way to mobilize an all Fed force that quickly.  There's just no plausible way to believe that no townies were involved in the rescue and know that the "no survivors" line is a lie.  That's just sloppy writing.

1 minute ago, chaifan said:
Edited by chaifan
  • Love 5

I was intrigued by the preview, but overall felt pretty meh about the whole thing, probably because the biggest reveal was spoiled by the preview. None of the characters particularly stuck out in my mind, but there seem to be some interesting subplots brewing. I thought the lead investigator was a little too nonplussed by the whole "we're from the future" reveal. I mean, a whole bunch of people show up floating in the ocean telling this story and she didn't really seem particularly surprised or incredulous. I'm willing to give it another few episodes to see where it goes. 

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To be fair it only said from "the network that brought you Lost," which was so random that I wish they had said from "the network that brought you Family Matters." 

HA! Spot on. Now if Steve Urkel washed up on shore looking around and saying, "Did I do that?!?" they'd have me as a viewer for life!

• Love 4

Looked forward to this since I like the "everyday sci-fi" genre. However, I'm prepared for disappointment and annoyance.

To start, no one is acting the way normal people would. A small child is one of the refugees, they know she lost her mother, yet she's left to hang out on her own. No social worker, no guardian to make sure she's okay? She has to line up by herself to get a key to her cabin?

The time travel claims would be side-eyed, to be sure, but if they talk about a future war in the US, I'd have a million questions. Who was fighting? How did it start? What's the world like 150 years in the future? Even if I think they're bullshitting, I'd still ask about tech, and space travel, and who is president, and a thousand other things.

Speaking of the future, it appears that in spite of 150 years of change and technological development, clothing styles and hair styles are exactly the same as 2017. What a coincidence! Think how much fashion and hair has changed in the past 150 years. Yet we're supposed to believe it's the same in the future as now? Or did they research 2017 and whip up some matching casual wear to blend in?

That said, where is the tech? I suppose I wouldn't take my iPhone if I was time travelling to 1867 because what's the point without internet or hydro to charge it? But tech has changed and improved so much in the last 50 years that you have to wonder what the exponential change will be in another 150 years. Surely something from their time would have been useful and desired in our time.

Then there's the concept of time travel, the whole butterfly wings effect. Just by coming here they've already altered the future. Maybe the boat captain who picked up the woman missed a night with his wife where he would have conceived the great-great-grandmother of one of the refugees who now won't exist. Dun dun dun...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Then there's the concept of time travel, the whole butterfly wings effect. Just by coming here they've already altered the future. Maybe the boat captain who picked up the woman missed a night with his wife where he would have conceived the great-great-grandmother of one of the refugees who now won't exist. Dun dun dun...

I fully expect there to be a plot line that starts with someone saying something like "Lillithbelle, what an unusual name.  Our daughter is named Lillithbelle after her grandmother."  With one of the refugees saying "Yes, it's been in my family for 14 generations."  dun dun dun! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Speaking of the future, it appears that in spite of 150 years of change and technological development, clothing styles and hair styles are exactly the same as 2017. What a coincidence! Think how much fashion and hair has changed in the past 150 years. Yet we're supposed to believe it's the same in the future as now? Or did they research 2017 and whip up some matching casual wear to blend in?

I'm willing to hand waive the similar fashion.  First, we didn't see much of what the refugees were originally wearing, they changed into donated clothes quickly.  Second, a lot of casual clothing really hasn't changed that much (especially for men) in the last 50-70 years.  Jeans are pretty much the same, t-shirts, button down shirts.  So that doesn't bother me.  What I have a harder time believing on other sci-fi shows is that every alien planet at a certain stage of development has a western/frontier era where people are dressed just like Earth's 1800's frontier era with prarie skirts and corsets and petticoats.  But that's for another thread...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JuJu said:

Does anyone else think it was weird that  they were going to give the little girl her own cabin?

I thought she was assigned to be with an agent, until that family stepped forward and offered to take her.  Clearly, there was no problem with that.,

I'm a pretty indiscriminate sci fi watcher with a poor memory, so I didn't compare it to other shows (except maybe the Event), so it was ok.  I'll keep watching, at least for a while.  I missed the beginning, so it took a while for me to catch up.  I hope the writing doesn't devolve.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I fully expect there to be a plot line that starts with someone saying something like "Lillithbelle, what an unusual name.  Our daughter is named Lillithbelle after her grandmother."  With one of the refugees saying "Yes, it's been in my family for 14 generations."  dun dun dun! 

I'm waiting for one of the refugees to be DNA-matched to a townie. Like, a refugee is the sheriff's great-great-great-grandson, or some such.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm waiting for one of the refugees to be DNA-matched to a townie.

I'm waiting for the lab results to come back saying they don't have DNA, they've got Meccano instead!

4 minutes ago, preeya said:

Sandrine Holt & Natalie Martinez don't exactly spell "hit show."

I'll give it a few more episodes, BUT!

True but casting ppl love them... putting talent aside for a moment... They are both women of color but can both play as at least half of white ( I believe holt is biracial)  which gives them an extra slot for a larger casting pool without raising any eyebrows and they work well with white love interests which again gives casting directors a large pool to cast with all while  still being and looking ethnic enough to say they are committed to diversity.. Again thats putting talent aside.. Obviously when you add talent and the fact that they're both very beautiful women.. Well you see why they keep getting work

• Love 1
22 hours ago, chaifan said:

But there's no way a crisis like this would be happening and they wouldn't get every Joe with a boat out there in the water to help.  That would have been irresponsible of the Sheriff to NOT put the call out for help - when the survivors were discovered there was no reason to suspect it was Fed only territory, and even if, there's no way to mobilize an all Fed force that quickly.  There's just no plausible way to believe that no townies were involved in the rescue and know that the "no survivors" line is a lie.  That's just sloppy writing.

Don't you know Homeland Security has a full brigade on the Canadian border ;

What got me was the search and rescue, even before the attempted cover-up. That would not have been professionals only, as if orders could be given to firefighters and paramedics like they are to Coast Guardsmen and Sheriff's Deputies, That entire community and those fishing boats lie the one that rescued Reese would have been out there and known about survivors.

So what I got was Rittenhouse won, but they are still sending back sleeper agents. Terminator not  actually Kyle Reese went rogue from APEX when they wanted to make her daughter the next step in human evolution. Right now I am in, maybe not for live viewing but  would like to see where this goes. The pilot was better than those for Extant, Under the Dome or Jericho.

• Love 3

I will definitely watch again.  The Pacific Northwest is always a good setting for these type of stories.  It also reminded me of a reverse  "The Returned" which had a few other similar versions.  Even Sandrine Holt played a character who took in a "returned" little boy who wasn't exactly as innocent as he seemed. 

I think all of us are pretty good at figuring out where these shows are going by now which makes it fun to read all the comments on these boards.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that all of the survivors had Biblical names and when the sheriff said Leah's name was from the Bible, she said, what is that?  All of the ones, but Reese.  Caleb, Hannah, Thomas, Leah, etc.  I enjoyed the pilot. It had a enough catnip to keep me interested.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

How did the people who previously traveled back get new identities?

If records of our time were available 150 years in the future, it wouldn't be too hard to assume an identity of someone who recently died, and then go to another state to "start over."

• Love 2

My only issue with the premiere is if Reece is Apex and has these super powers, why didn't she make it to the top with her daughter. She sort of pushed Leah up as though she only had enough strength to get one of them to safety. She didn't look tired/weak, but that could have been bad acting. But once you know she has these powers it makes even less sense. I'm also not sure why she seemed separated from Leah in the first place. Wouldn't you try and hold on to your kid if you were about to try some mystery time travel method?

• Love 8

Somehow I missed this when it was first on and had to watch On Demand. Like others, it reminded me of the 4400. At first I thought they were escaping an alien invasion and thought it was interesting they were escaping a mutant take-over, which is always the fear of normal people in shows with mutants; The Gifted, Agents of Shield, X-Men movies.

I actually didn't catch that the Homeland Security boss was from the future but I knew something was up when they met on that bridge because no meetings on isolated bridges in the middle of a rainy night ever turn out good.

• Love 2

I'm still watching the first episode. I don't mind Sandrine Holt, and I like Steve Zahn. That's why I tuned in. I also like scifi things like this. I looked up this forum, because I thought of "Lost" as soon as I saw them all on a nice beach, under shelters. All that was missing was the sounds of a possible monster moving through forest, and someone sitting on the sand, staring at the ocean (unless I've missed that as I've been typing). 

• Love 3

Meh

On 20.3.2018 at 7:46 AM, paulvdb said:

I figured that the girl's mother was an Apex, but I didn't guess about the Homeland guy also being from the future.

Well that was obvious once he stood in the shadows on the bridge.

On 24.3.2018 at 3:48 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Well all that could be true if they casted a lil Asian or native American or East Indian or Middle Eastern or Black girl... But they didn't.. They cast a very European looking little girl.. And I'm sure she will be fine.. And the explanation could be some kind of post racial yadda yadda.. But more likely it'll be the good ol "hitch the minority actress with the white guy" that I've seen play out over and over... Hopefully it doesn't detract  from what I hope is a super enjoyable early summer show

Pretty sure she will be adopted. Big bad apex started to love this little girl, probably after killing her real parents, betrayed her own kind for the girl and now is trying to change the future for the better for humanity. yadda yadda yadda.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Miles said:

Big bad apex started to love this little girl, probably after killing her real parents, betrayed her own kind for the girl and now is trying to change the future for the better for humanity. yadda yadda yadda.

I need to rewatch CW's Nikita, apparently. I wish this show would be as good as CW's Nikita, though.