Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

I am assuming that Darlene's son Mark is named for his deceased Uncle.  I read that Johnny Galecki, Estelle Parsons, Sandra Bernhard and the actresses that played Crystal and Annmarie will all be featured.  

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I am assuming that Darlene's son Mark is named for his deceased Uncle.  I read that Johnny Galecki, Estelle Parsons, Sandra Bernhard and the actresses that played Crystal and Annmarie will all be featured.  

One of the commercials that they’ve been showing mentions that they’re celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary. I’m assuming many of them will be back for that occasion. 

• Love 10

Everyone’s pretty much covered everything but I’m wondering if little Mark is named after his deceased uncle. I’m excited to see Crystal again too and if they kept her as the wife of Dan’s dad. 

So Darlene going to the job interview and saying that she waited in line behind 50 people seems to be a scenario similar to an episode from the old show. Roseanne went on an interview when the bike shop was closing and didn’t she say a similar line?

Also, where’s the Lunchbox?!

• Love 15

I remember in the original series, Jackie, when challenged by Fred about how dressing Andy in a gender non-confirmative way could make him gay, she quipped that she would march down with him in “one of those parades” with a big rainbow flag. I think it would have made for a great story, and totally in character for Jackie, if she had ended up as a card-carrying PFLAG mom. But it sounds like Andy’s existence may be retconned. :-/

Jackie was the best in the new episodes. I died when she revealed how sometimes at night she’d put on Prince and wear men’s underwear. She’s always trying to be the cool aunt but ends up just being awkward.

Other than Roseanne calling herself “the white witch” which made me laugh, I’m not feeling her again yet. I feel something about her character seems off, her ignorance at times was grating than funny. And she wasn’t like that in the early years of the original series. She had a certain level of smarts and intelligence in-spite of her working class upbringing that wasn’t present here.

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 23

I went into this trying to take a wait and see attitude after all the less than savory press about the titular actress, and came away wanting to like this so much more than I ultimately did.  It's really obvious which actors have worked much in recent years because of the ones who haven't, their line readings were often stiff and just downright oddly paced.  The political jokes were so ridiculously hamfisted that I'm at a loss as to what sort of insight we were supposed to gain from them about how any of the characters might have gotten there.  I'm also not thrilled they brought back the later seasons often shouty Wacky Jackie or that they couldn't cut a couple of the worst landing political jabs to at least superficially tell us what's happened since we saw these people last.  Hopefully, they'll figure out their pacing or whatever else isn't working because at times it felt less like the rare jewel of authenticity on TV so many of us grew up on and more like an impersonator tribute act of it.

What saves it for me is adult Darlene.  She fulfilled the comment the much younger version of herself once made to Roseanne about how each generation of the family's women was a little better mother than her mother before her and she figured she'd be better still when it was her turn.  The second episode plot about Mark at times felt like it was veering dangerously close to Very Special Episode territory, but they managed to sensitively pull it out in dealing with the very realistic fear that what an odd kid might be able to get away with in a city school they wouldn't be able to in an smaller town environment.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, readster said:

Yeah, I think ignoring Andy is going to be one of the biggest problems with the revival. I get they have only 10 episodes and can only cover so much. However, just a throw away line even saying: "Thank God Andy got away from all of us crazy people!" That's really all they needed, especially if they want to throw in how Jerry is on a boat either in the navy or fishing or something. I get why DJ wasn't in the second episode much, since the focus was on Becky and Little Mark. 

I'm glad they didn't mention this Andy person because, as somebody who only saw bits and pieces of the original show and doesn't remember the secondary characters or plot points, there was already a ton of information in that first episode - trying to catch up the fans of the original series while not making it too overwhelming for new viewers.  It's always a difficult task to give a lot of exposition in a pilot, introducing all the characters and setting up the series, while still bringing the funny.  I have no idea who Andy is/was, plus I'm confused about an older Mark mentioned here.  Darlene's son is named Mark right?  So is he Mark Jr., and his father is Mark Sr.?  Is Mark Sr. the character that was played by Johnny Galecki?

I never cared much for the original series but tuned in tonight out of curiosity, and it was way better and funnier than I expected!  (Similar to how Young Sheldon also far exceeded my expectations.)  What a pleasant surprise!  I am planning on watching the rest of this season.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Is Mark Sr. the character that was played by Johnny Galecki?

Mark Sr was played by Glenn Quinn, who died back in 2002. Mark was the brother of Johnny Galecki's character, David. So, kid Mark was named after his uncle. 

I think they could mention Andy by name in another episode, if they do choose to acknowledge his existence. I think these two episodes had a lot to deal with in terms of exposition and introducing new stuff, anyway.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Holy shit, I think they pulled it off.

this wasn’t bad at all.   This was pretty good. 

Agreed. I like the show. I watched it during the first few seasons on a regular basis. I like how they updated the show to deal with current issues. I like the actors so it's fun to catch up with Roseanne after 20 years. I feel old though.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Mark Sr was played by Glenn Quinn, who died back in 2002. Mark was the brother of Johnny Galecki's character, David. So, kid Mark was named after his uncle. 

I think they could mention Andy by name in another episode, if they do choose to acknowledge his existence. I think these two episodes had a lot to deal with in terms of exposition and introducing new stuff, anyway.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. :)  And Andy is Jackie's son?  (Or not, if they end up retconning that?)  Who is his father supposed to be?  Was Jackie married to Andy's father?    Waiting until another episode when they have more time to delve into it and add details is much better than cramming it all into the first or second episodes.  There's only so much that can be covered in a twenty minutes sitcom episode.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Thank you for clarifying that for me. :)  And Andy is Jackie's son?  (Or not, if they end up retconning that?)  Who is his father supposed to be?  Was Jackie married to Andy's father?    Waiting until another episode when they have more time to delve into it and add details is much better than cramming it all into the first or second episodes.  There's only so much that can be covered in a twenty minutes sitcom episode.

Jackie was married to Fred a friend of Dans who worked with him. They had a one night stand where Jackie got pregnant then got married then divorced 

• Love 6

I did like that Rosanne's grandkids call her 'Granny Rose.'

I'm trying to figure out why Darlene is getting rides to interviews. Did she not have a car in Chicago? 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Mark was also Becky's husband. Darlene married Mark's brother David which means the two Connor sisters married the two Healey brothers.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I did like that Rosanne's grandkids call her 'Granny Rose.'

I'm trying to figure out why Darlene is getting rides to interviews. Did she not have a car in Chicago? 

Plausible, you don't really need a car to get around in Chicago. But she would have to drive to Lanford...

• Love 10

I enjoyed seeing the cast together again, but I wish they would have taken the first two episodes to answer more questions rather than making it so political and in-your-face. I realize they were trying to make the show relevant to 2018, but I felt bombarded with too many "issues" throughout.....some current issues, some old, but ongoing issues. In just two episodes they addressed the election controversy, Russia, gender identity issues, bullying, guns, weapons at school, homosexuality, my body-my choice, prescription drugs, etc was too much.  I think it's great, and relevant, to include real, relevant issues into the show, but I wish they wouldn't have done it all at once...it took away from the flow and humor that I used to love about this show. I will continue to watch, I think they have something here. Was it realistic? YES! But maybe I was looking for an escape from what is actually  happening in this country and needed something lighter. Roseanne was always my favorite show, and they never shyed away from controversial issues back in the day. I just didn't expect it to be so much at once. They should have answered the burning questions first, IMO...but hopefully that's coming in future episodes

• Love 18

I liked it okay. The live studio audience is a bit jarring. It felt more like a Happy Days rerun in that aspect than an episode of Roseanne. I wonder whose decision that was?

So many unanswered questions still, but I'm still just thrilled to get a new Roseanne season in 2018. Roseanne herself looks great. 

I hated the little reminders of how old we are all getting LOL. Hard to believe Becky is 43 and Dan and Roseanne are coming up on their 45th (!!!) wedding anniversary. Where did the time go?

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Mark was also Becky's husband. Darlene married Mark's brother David which means the two Connor sisters married the two Healey brothers.

I was just going to ask about this.  I saw a post in the Live thread in which  Greekmom said: "Also. I wish they would say what happened to Mark (in the show"   And Browncoat answered: "There was a brief throwaway line to Becky about her husband having died." 

...Which made me even more confused, so thanks for posting that about Mark and Becky and Darlene and David. 

• Love 5

That's very true. You're right - it was funny how they addressed Dan's "death" and joked about it. So, at least that was answered. I get that they can't cover everything we've all wanted to know in just two episodes. I'm just impatient. :)

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Did Original Roseanne have a live studio audience?

Yes.

I agree with those who said this felt a bit off. I didn't really laugh out loud-mainly just smirked a bit at a few good one-liners. I have no issue with politics being part of the show, 'cause that's how the original was, too, but it felt kind of clunky in how they handled it. And it felt like everyone was trying to get back into the feel and spirit of their characters, so some of the deliveries and whatnot felt a little off. 

That said, I too liked the whole thing of Jackie continuing in her vein of taking odd jobs. Darlene as a mom was lovely, and I liked how they addressed everything with Mark in the second episode. And it was fun to see the two Beckys interact, and just seeing everyone together again in general. Seeing Dan taking pills and having a CPAP machine hit home, too-I've said before on here how I can see so much of my own dad in Dan, and that's yet another example of that. I felt for Darlene with her explanation of her financial struggles, and why she's at home with her parents. Also very relatable. Those quieter kinds of moments were the best way to really bring out the political and economic issues. 

The second episode did seem to gel a little better than the first in some ways, so I'm chalking some of the awkwardness up to needing to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully the coming episodes will further smooth things out in that regard. 

• Love 12

I haven't watched the second episode yet, but is DJ's daughter a bio kid or step? She doesn't look remotely bi-racial. 

First episode, meh. I was dreading the political/social commentary and I felt like it was punching me in the face at every turn.

I wish they'd gone into what happened to David and Mark. I never cared about Jerry or Andy on the original series, so it doesn't bother me that they've been written off.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I honestly hadn't even considered viewers who never watched the original series (or weren't even born yet!), but yeah. This must have been hella confusing to them.

A common rap against Peak TV is that the pacing is too slow and drawn out, but this could definitely have used some brakes. Maybe when Roseanne and Dan were doling out their prescriptions, they could have reminisced a bit about being older and the changes to their lives over the years, along with the status of various family members.

The first episode could have been Darlene and her kids moving back in and dealing with David's Mark's first day at school. The second could have covered the falling out between Jackie and Roseanne and them making up in a manner that seemed realistic instead of sitcom settled, etc. No need to rush!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I was just going to ask about this.  I saw a post in the Live thread in which  Greekmom said: "Also. I wish they would say what happened to Mark (in the show"   And Browncoat answered: "There was a brief throwaway line to Becky about her husband having died." 

...Which made me even more confused, so thanks for posting that about Mark and Becky and Darlene and David. 

Since you're a new viewer, be warned the show has lots of in jokes.

If you were confused by the audience's reaction to Becky telling Andrea "it's like we're the same person" it's because the two actresses both played Becky in the original series.

Lecy played her first and when she left for college, Sarah (Andrea) took over the role.

• Love 10

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! 

I think everyone slide back into their roles for the most part. I agree that you could tell who had been regularly acting and who hadn’t been. People mentioned Lecy but I didn’t really notice that much to be honest and thought she was fine. Michael Fishman with his couple lines did feel awkward to me though. Sara Gilbert is still good.

And, after all these years, I still love the Becky/Darlene dynamic and hope to see more in the upcoming episodes. Their relationship has always been one of my favorite parts of the show.

Mark is such a cutie and Harris is like Sara’s twin. Great casting there.

• Love 18

It wasn't as bad as I initially feared, yet not as great as I'd hoped after all the hype. 

I agree with everyone that the show still needs to find its rhythm (including the pacing of the story/editing which felt kinda rushed in certain spots to move the plot to the next scene) but I get that there's a lot to still re-establish before it can settle back into that authentic, everyday 'lived-in' feel I loved about its original run. At least, that's what I'm hoping!

I'm probably most disappointed with how Lecy is playing it so far - her acting wasn't just stilted like others said, her delivery also feels like out of a broader sitcom and not as natural as she used to play it. I wish there had been a sense of sadness or desperation in her performance to help sell the surrogacy situation a bit better (she used to be so good with the more dramatic stuff). But maybe the writing is partly to blame too. She kinda just popped in and dropped this big news with no lead up. If this storyline had been done during the original run there probably would have been more time given to debate this decision and make us sympathize why she's willing to do this (perhaps that's still to come), but with only 9 episodes I get some things need to be set up quickly, so I'll give it somewhat of a pass. 

Overall, there's a lot more that's working than not for me, and they're definitely making a strong effort to embody the spirit of the original show, so I'm all in for the season. I was against this revival when it was first announced but will admit I'm pretty happy now that it's back!

• Love 10

I liked it.

Like the old show the best moments are when it gets real like Dan's reaction to Becky saying she was a surrogate but using her eggs and Darlene confessing that she lost her job and that crying that she thought she would have been a success by now.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 22

I missed about 15 minutes of the first ep, but what I saw of it and the second one, I thought they were pretty good. I laughed quite a lot. Did Roseanne say something about Jackie's Nasty Woman shirt?

Laurie Metcalf’s comedy timing is on point!

I think my fave part of hers was when she kept saying part the same words right after Andrea was talking about something or other with Becky and Roseanne.

So Jackie's a Life Coach? I would never thought she'd go into that.

Speaking of Darlene, Sara Gilbert was so good, she always was my favorite.

I thought Sara did a good job with the scene where Roseanne confronts her about losing her job,etc.  She genuinely brought the tears, you'd never see younger Darlene go there.

Emma Kenney is definitely a great addition to the cast.

Kudos to the casting dept. She really looks like she could be Darlene's kid.

Looking forward to future eps. I had looked forward to the Will and Grace reboot but sadly kind of lost interest in it after a while, but I don't think I'll be doing that with Roseanne. Totally in!

• Love 20
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

What if we find out that David is the gay one? Artistic and sensitive boy that he was. Just sayin'. 

Huh, that possibility never occurred to me. They are my original OTP, so I hope the split wasn't too bad :(

36 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I liked it okay. The live studio audience is a bit jarring. It felt more like a Happy Days rerun in that aspect than an episode of Roseanne. I wonder whose decision that was?

But... the original had a live audience too.

• Love 10

I’m looking forward to the David/Darlene scenes.  Especially since the actors also hooked up on the Big Bang Theory.  It will be interesting to see how they play off each other after all these years.

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Anyone know of a way to catch up on the episodes?  I missed seeing them and my DVR didn't tape more than 5 minutes.

They should be on Yahoo View (that is what old free Hulu is, right?) and ABC's website at some point. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to be posted. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Maybe you should do a little cramming before next Tuesday so you'll be familiar with the characters.  :)

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Darlene was going to drive Mark to school until Harris needed Darlene to take her.  That sounds to me like Darlene has a car.

50 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Anyone know of a way to catch up on the episodes?  I missed seeing them and my DVR didn't tape more than 5 minutes.

TV Land has been showing them all day on Sundays for some time now.

29 minutes ago, 2727 said:

...Darlene and her kids moving back in and dealing with David's first day at school.

MARK????

Ever since they've been showing the previews, I have thought that Becky was a little long in the tooth to be a surrogate, so I'm glad that Darlene mentioned Becky's age.  It's just like Becky to lie about her age to Andrea, though.

Maybe Mark died in the Gulf War.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 8

Hated the surrogacy storyline. Is it really surrogacy when you're using your own eggs? Becky would essentially be having her own child and giving it away. Sounds highly unorthodox.

What is most likely to happen is that a young woman is selected to be an egg donor (usually in her early 20s since at that age her eggs are most likely to be chromosomal normal).   Most reputable clinics will require surrogates who carry the baby to already have children, so they are usually a little older than egg donors.  A 43 year old woman would statistically have 80% of her eggs be chromosomal abnormal, which would lead to miscarriage or babies with down's syndrome or the small percentage of babies with trisomy 13 or 18 that survive but are very sick and usually die by their first birthday.  It would be a highly unreputable egg donor service that would not screen the donor for age, since IVF is really unlikely to work statistically for a 43 year old woman.  A 43 year old woman could be a surrogate, but as an egg donor she would be a very poor choice.  The families can test the embryos and only implant the ones that are chromosomal normal, but it is unlikely that a 43 year old woman would be successful with one round of IVF (not impossible, but unlikely) and the big money only comes from being able to produce a child that's born, so the clinics have some incentive to ensure this will happen.  There's no regulation for the fertility industry, so its like the wild west.  I'm highly concerned that egg donors are being put on really high hormone levels, since some of them are producing a huge number of eggs (some have been 30-34 in a  cycle).  Producing a huge number of eggs puts them at risk of OHSS, which can lead to serious health effects for the donors.  I just went though IVF with my own eggs, and the doctors were very careful to limit the number of eggs I made to protect my health, but it scares me to think of girls in college being pumped full of drugs since the more eggs they make, the more likely a baby can be created for the intended parents (and parents often want all of their children to be genetically related so if they can make 5 or six embryos from one IVF cycle they are likely to be able to complete their family without needing to pay for donor eggs again).    

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

Darlene was going to drive Mark to school until Harris needed Darlene to take her.  That sounds to me like Darlene has a car.

But a few days before that Jackie had to drive her to her interview (and Roseanne offered), so there's something odd there.

• Love 3

Becky is really playing with fire here. I know this surrogate thing is being played for laughs and to illustrate how badly she needs the money but she is a) not working through an agency which gives her no legal protections either, b) lying about her age which is going to bite her in the butt if/when she gets caught (and pregnancies at her age have *much* high risk of complications and c) doing this with her own eggs makes this psychologically so much harder than it has to be.

• Love 8