Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

The only way I could stand the surrogate storyline was making up my own plot where Andrea is actually Andy and, since she obviously can't have a biological child, targeted Becky so her child would be genetically related.  Hey, if they could age down Harris, they could age up Andy.  That blew up when Jackie was there for the family meet, though.  I would think that, even if she had left home as a confused teenager, Jackie still would have recognized her own child.  

The ages are also confusing me.  Darlene told Harris that she was going to miss her being in the same school as Mark so she could look after him.  If Harris is going to Lanford High, that would make Mark in junior high school, but that definitely looked like a early to mid grade school class.  One of the questions on the chalkboard (I just can't get used to whiteboard in classrooms!) was What do bees make?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Sile said:

The ages are also confusing me.  Darlene told Harris that she was going to miss her being in the same school as Mark so she could look after him.  If Harris is going to Lanford High, that would make Mark in junior high school, but that definitely looked like a early to mid grade school class.

They could have been at a school (maybe private) that combined elementary and middle.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

"The Frioends apartment was "rent controlled", left to Monica by her grandmother. That was stated many times in the show. DOn't know how the guys afforded theirs tho. " Off topic but Chandler's career was that of a midlevel exec of some sort - he was the only one who realistically would have been making decent money for NYC. As far as Dan and Roseanne "retiring" - I think its more common than what you might think for a couple in their late sixties to be drawing SSN and doing part time or even full time work for as long as they can. Where I think things are awkward is the idea that they almost lost the house - that needs a little explanation.

I know Dan mentioned in one line that it was dry wall not nail polish when Mark Jr complimented Dan on his nail color.. so I'm guessing Dan probably still does dry wall and it's possible that both of them just hit their mid 60s and just started collecting SS.  That's just my theory.

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

They could have been at a school (maybe private) that combined elementary and middle.

I live in Chicago and a lot of the schools around me go from K through 8th grade.. and then high school.  So it's possible that Harris is now a freshman in high school while Mark Jr is in 5th grade.

In regards to Darlene, I'm curious what her job was.. and maybe she could do some free lance work from home until she finds something more permanent?

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2018/03/roseanne-sitcom-for-everyone/

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, festivus said:

Yay! We'll get to see DJ's wife and she's played by Tamra from The Mindy Project. I love her, she's hilarious.

I love this actress! I'm so excited to see her in this role and DJ needs a strong female character to lean on. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One of my most favorite lines was when Darlene's son Mark, says to Roseann, "I'm not scared of you"  and she responds, "Give it time."   lol  

Didn't she have a similar conversation with his namesake back in the day?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Didn't she have a similar conversation with his namesake back in the day?

After Mark and Becky got married she said something like "I'm not just a pain in the ass anymore, I'm your MOTHER IN LAW and that means we're family and you've seen how I treat my family."

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

After Mark and Becky got married she said something like "I'm not just a pain in the ass anymore, I'm your MOTHER IN LAW and that means we're family and you've seen how I treat my family."

I loved that scene, especially the facial reactions. It seemed like Glenn was trying so hard not to burst out laughing when she said that. 

• Love 17

Everything I wanted to say has pretty much been covered by everyone else, but I just wanted to chime in here. The cast really felt so natural together again and the vibe of the show was just right. I feel like they hit on many of the same notes that made the original so good: everything not always turning out all right, struggles that middle class/non-sticom people have, and the love/hate relationship that families often have. I think they did a great job writing Dan's struggle with Mark too. He was obviously uncomfortable with his choices, but he admitted that they were clearly from a place of caring. This was really well done!

• Love 21
31 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

It might be silly, but I’m glad DJ married the black girl from the play.  I was very young (7 or 8) when the original episode aired but I very vividly remember being so offended that he didn’t want to kiss her!  It was literally the first time I realized that my peers might be uncomfortable with me being black. I definitely held a grudge against poor DJ Conner for a couple of decades! 

My guess is DJ took one look at the grown-up Geena, kicked himself for ever turning down an opportunity to kiss her and bent over backwards to win her. I can't wait to see how she gels with the cast, since she is apparently a talented comedic actress.

• Love 7

Now that I've had a chance to re-watch the first 2 episodes (I watched with friends the first time and was too busy talking and laughing to pay REALLY close attention).

I agree with what everyone else has said about Andy. I don't necessarily need to see him, but a throw away line stating that he's going to college out of state, or had a falling out with Jackie  (which would make an interesting parlay into Jackie becoming Bev) or even that he's on that stupid fishing boat with no phone with Jerry would have been enough. I hope they don't retcon Andy, and I'm willing to give them a few episodes to inform us about Andy before I start getting my hackles up about it.

Speaking of Jackie, IF (I hope they don't) they decide to retcon Andy, and keep her Wacky Jackie (again, I hope they don't, I want Lobo cop, not Gilligan) it makes me wonder if it's some how going to play out that she is just like Bev. Child(ren) can't tolerate her because she's....well.....wacky! Otherwise, I think life coach fits right up her alley. This is the type of thing she was constantly jumping into after Wellman. She was a masseuse, truck driver, perfume sniper at the mall and owner of The Lunchbox all in what? 3 years or less? She's still allowing Roseanne to manipulate her. I will be MUCH happier if they can tone Jackie down some to a happy medium of who she was and who she turned into.

I don't hate the surrogacy plot, but could do without it too. I think it fits Becky, though. She never really did think out the consequences of her actions. This is proving no different. Lecy was very stiff playing Becky again, but I hope that begins to smooth out. My favorite part was at the dinner table when she said she lied and told her she was 33 and did her snap thing she did back in the day. The one that comes to mind is when Darlene finds out she's on BC and wants to tell Roseanne, but Becky says she already knows and snaps and says "slammer." It's nice continuity. Darlene's come back about using her IQ instead of her age was classic. Loved it.

This might be an UO, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they've given Darlene some heart. Who knew that 2 kids would soften her right up. She, of course, has the same dry sarcastic comebacks she always has, but to see her interact with her kids is fantastic. I adored every minute she was interacting with them. Her talking with Roseanne about losing her job and thinking she would have amounted to something before now was sweet. What was better? Her saying she wanted the big house to hold over Roseanne's head and Roseanne comforting her "little loser." They haven't missed a beat.

Dan Dan the Drywall man. As always, they have given him some of THE best lines. It's as if Dan Conner never left our screens. From his way of handling family stress, to expressing his concerns about his kids (and now grandkids) to being the goofball we all know and love. Dan and Darlene were always my favorite characters, so having him slip right back in to where he left off is awesome. I think of everyone, he is the hardest to get used to seeing aged.

The biggest glaring plot hole for me is Mark Sr. I really REALLY hope they do him some justice in the coming episodes. I don't need a half hour long drawn out reason for how/why he died, but a one off "since your husband died" (which I didn't even catch the first watch thru) is definitely NOT enough.

I like Harris (need to see more of her to form a good opinion) and I love Mark. I think he is adorable and is rocking his character. I think we'll see good things from the both of them.

Some of my favorite parts:

The kids calling Roseanne Granny Rose. So adorable.

Jackie bringing Russian dressing to the table.

The shrine to Cop Jackie and her remark that it's still a good picture.

Harris storming off saying that they're ruining her life, and Dan's comment about not seeing that movie for 20 years, and that the classics do hold up (also true for this reboot!)

Roseanne telling Darlene to "tag me in". Those poor poor grandkids. Followed closely by "I'm not scared of you" "Give it time."

MS.CRANE! (Who is likely no longer a Ms...but continuity rocks!)

Dan being his typical self (remember the Halloween episode where DJ wanted to be a witch and how much Dan battled against that) and slowly realizing that while his grandson's version of clothing doesn't mesh with his, that it doesn't make it wrong. The one liner that killed me: "he doesn't have to wear pants, but he HAS to wear underwear." OH! And the whole "she told Roseanne about eating Becky's placenta" and Dan: "oh come on!" was classic Dan!

I overall loved this a lot more than I thought I would. I too am typically against reboots (I loved Full House and still haven't touched an episode of Fuller House) but I was so excited to see the Conner's on my screen again and find out what they've been up to. I don't feel like I'm forced to suspend a lot of belief with this reboot, and that says a lot towards it's writing.

Looking forward to the next 8 episodes and I really hope that they can get another season or 2 out of this. If not, I'll enjoy the next 8.

• Love 19

Please review the pinned forum posts about politics and if necessary the site rules (Be Civil).  Any posts with political commentary that is not in show context is subject to moderation.   

ETA: If you see what you feel is a political post, please do not engage. Report the post and let the moderators sort it out. 

15 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Why not give him a shout out like she did with Jerry it just was jarring that they glossed over Jackie having a child since he was a part of the show for 4 seasons lol 

We've only seen 2 episodes of the reboot.  Who's to say that Andy won't get a mention, or even an appearance?  As an adult, maybe he moved away from Lanford, isn't in close contact with Jackie and his extended family, etc. 

It's waaaay too early to criticize missing characters and plots.  They couldn't cram everything into 2 episodes, or people would find fault with that, too.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

Surprised by some comments here questioning basic Roseanne character/plot details. It honestly never occurred to me that people who didn't watch the show originally and/or barely remembered the characters or how they connected would even care to watch this. Why watch a revival of a show you don't remember? There's always Wikipedia.

Speaking as one of the offenders, it's mostly laziness. I watched the first couple of seasons of the original, and then saw selected episodes after that. I missed almost all of the last few years, except for the finale. So there are whole characters I didn't know, and certainly story arcs I missed. I don't remember Glenn Quinn's  (mentioned) character at all, though I must have seen him at some point. I could go to Wiki or elsewhere to catch up, but didn't. And honestly, I got 80 percent of the resumed show without looking anything up.  It pretty much picked up where I remember the characters being, at least in a general sense. Jackie is a little too whacky, even as I liked the poking fun at being a life coach (because I know a few, and they aren't far from her). Curious about DJ, and his kid, because the DJ I remember couldn't get legally married.

• Love 4

They could've just had Jackie say her son ran off to Europe to explain his absence. Just like Jerry we really don't have to see him at family events if they explain why he can't make it to them. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

We've only seen 2 episodes of the reboot.  Who's to say that Andy won't get a mention, or even an appearance?  As an adult, maybe he moved away from Lansford, isn't in close contact with Jackie and his extended family, etc. 

It's waaaay too early to criticize missing characters and plots.  They couldn't cram everything into 2 episodes, or people would find fault with that, too.

but thats the point in that first 10min they crammed everyone else in they couldn't have named dropped him?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

We've only seen 2 episodes of the reboot.  Who's to say that Andy won't get a mention, or even an appearance?  As an adult, maybe he moved away from Lansford, isn't in close contact with Jackie and his extended family, etc. 

He could have left even before he was an adult.  What if he decided to be with Fred as an adolescent?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Phoebe70 said:

YES!  Me too!  That's one of the things I always disliked about "Friends."  We were supposed to believe that these 20-somethings were able to afford a huge apartment in NYC....not.

That issue was actually addressed on at least one episode of Friends.  The low cost of the apartment was due to rent control, and the fact that management thought Monica's grandmother still lived there.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They could've just had Jackie say her son ran off to Europe to explain his absence. Just like Jerry we really don't have to see him at family events if they explain why he can't make it to them. 

Well, we're only two episodes in. I'm fine with them not having mentioned Andy just yet. They haven't mentioned a lot of crucial people just yet either (David, Bev, Crystal) but we know they'll be appearing later. I will get annoyed though if we get through the whole nine episodes and they still don't mention Andy, and I'll be really annoyed if they pull a full retcon and act like Jackie never had him at all.

• Love 8
Just now, Keywestclubkid said:

but thats the point in that first 10min they crammed everyone else in they couldn't have named dropped him?

The first episode felt very "let's catch up on the last 20 years" already.  I didn't need an update on Andy, Fred, Mark, Leon, Nancy, Artie, etc. right at the jump. 

I went into this reboot with no, to low, expectations, and thus was pleasantly surprised.  Only the heavy-handed politics (on both sides) were a bit much for me.  I think we still have plenty of time to revisit other characters.  Or not.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

One thing I REALLY missed were the "establishing shots" of the exterior of the house like they were in the original. The still photos that crossfaded with the harmonica in the background 

They had them in the new show but were a completely different style. Really close up and weird angles and no crossfades.

Would have been a small touch that would have helped capture the feel of the original.

I think that was still the same house, though. A few years ago, I was in Evansville, IN, so I put the address of the house in my GPS and drove over to see it, and took a few pictures of it. TOTAL fan girl moment for me, lol. 

• Love 8

I agree about the weird camera angles. It would have seemed more "right" if the angles would have been the same as the first series. And did the stove change color? Wasn't it black at the beginning of epi 1, and then white in epi 2?

It was, IMO, too much too quickly. It was almost like there was a list with check boxes.

Political conflict, check.

Biracial child, check.

Gun ownership, check.

Gender issue, check.

Death of a spouse, check.

Loss of job, check.

Military deployment, check.

Single/divorced parenting, check.

Medical issues, check.

Sibling conflict, check and double check.

Financial hardship, triple check.

Bullying, check.

Uprooting kids due to many of the above issues, check.

Angry teen, check.

The original series did a good job of showing day to day issues of "The Rust Belt." It played out naturally over the course of the show, (except for the best to be forgotten last season) Someone in a previous post used the term "ham-fisted" which is a great term to describe these first 2 shows. I'll keep watching, but hope they get back to that real feel. 

And Jackie has GOT to stop yelling. She was a caricature of herself, and it was painful to watch.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, jonesingjay said:

It's not the same couch. Similar looking though. 

Roseanne and John Goodman were on Jimmy Kimmel recently (last week? I just saw the clip on Youtube yesterday) and when they were introduced, two guys pushed them out onto the stage sitting on the couch. Jimmy asked if it was the original and they said it's a replica, because the real one is in the Smithsonian and the museum wouldn't let them have it back. I assume that in-show, it is the same couch.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I wholeheartedly agree. And that was Dan & Roseanne's problem with it as well - that she'd be giving away their grandchild.

Since Becky is only doing it for the money, it seems to me that she would be selling the baby.

• Love 3

I loved it.

Not like.

Loved.

That was really good. Not "surprisingly so" but Just....good.

Lecy sounded like she had a cold....in the first one her voice was hoarse and scratchy...maybe that's what's throwing everyone off.

Think maybe David's the gay one? Maybe they broke up because DAVID is gay? Galecki's only gonna be in one episode, TBBT wouldn't release him for more than that.

And I'm not 100% sure Becky's gonna go through with the surrogate thing since she's using HER OWN EGG. It's not like it's the other lady's bun, she's cooking it in HER oven, no, she's using HER OWN EGG here so it'll be HER baby and Roseanne and Dan's Grandchild. You think for one minute that lady's not gonna see her grandchild? You think for a minute even someone as selfish as Becky's gonna give up her CHILD? I don't.

In that last scene in the kitchen (2nd one) with mom? When she was showing just how desperate for cash she really was? She actually LOOKED 43 for a minute. That scene made me forgive her...

I liked it. It's still my show. Love DJ's daughter calling her "Grandma Rose" and Mark, Jr's "I'm not afraid of you"

She's a really cool grandma.

And Rosie as an Uber driver. I would LOVE to have her as my Uber driver!

• Love 17
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been married for thirty eight years and I'm still a "Ms."

15 years and me too. 

The point Ms. Crane was making by using Ms. was that a woman's marital status is irrelevant and is equal to that of Mr. for men.

Edited by HadleyFields
  • Love 8

So I thought it was strange that Jackie was so upset because she thought that her vote for Jill Stein impacted the election by being a "spoiler" for Clinton.  They live in Illinois, which is a pretty blue state (owing a lot to Chicago I guess).  And I just checked, Illinois went for Clinton in the 2016 election anyway.  Unless maybe things went slightly different in the show's universe and Trump did in fact carry Illinois by a slim margin.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

This might be an UO, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they've given Darlene some heart. Who knew that 2 kids would soften her right up. She, of course, has the same dry sarcastic comebacks she always has, but to see her interact with her kids is fantastic. I adored every minute she was interacting with them. Her talking with Roseanne about losing her job and thinking she would have amounted to something before now was sweet. What was better? Her saying she wanted the big house to hold over Roseanne's head and Roseanne comforting her "little loser." They haven't missed a beat.

Not an UO with me. I always related to Darlene the most, I was a sarcastic tomboy and I have softened up some after raising two kids but I'm still me. Honestly, Darlene was just the kind of mother I expected her to be.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

I enjoyed the show.  I didnt enjoy the political jokes.  That seemed forced.  Things I liked:  the 2 Beckys and the whole "it's like looking in a mirror," Jackie inserting her "as a life coach" line into conversations, and Rosy and Dan assuming Darlene was gay and her say "not gay."  I'll stick around.  Hey it's better than watching that King of Queens reboot also known as Kevin Can Wait.

I hate that show (Love the KoQ though) last night after Roseanne my TV Diva King said "dont we have a Kevin can wait to watch"  I said, "Kevin's gonna wait in the DVR until I delete him".  

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been married for thirty eight years and I'm still a "Ms."

16 minutes ago, HadleyFields said:

15 years and me too.

Not really the point I was trying to make...the actual point was continuity, but, my apologies for assuming Ms. meant unmarried.

25 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Home interiors rarely make sense in multi camera shows. The kitchen does my head in, it’s like a square with 6 corners. 

This. The opening credit shot completely made me re-think what I knew to be the layout of their kitchen. It was a little awkward for me.

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, jonesingjay said:

Yes. That's the woman he ends up marrying.

Great catch! I believe they said her name is Gina, does that check out? Even though they ditched most of the events of the finale, I still think they did a great job of continuity, for those of us that remember the original. 

5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

First seasons of shows are usually extremely short.  Ten to twelve episodes are usually the norm.  

Ah, for the days when they made 39 new shows per season and we didn't see reruns of recent shows during the holidays.

4 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Why would someone go to the trouble and expense of having a surrogate but choosing one who is in her 40s?

Andrea thinks Becky is 33.  Andrea should look for someone even younger than 33.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm glad that there will be 10 episodes. I thought they only got 8.

I read it was nine.

3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I can't imagine Becky is trying to scam anyone,

She started scamming Andrea when she lied about her age.

• Love 5

One of the things the reboot does need to deal with is that OG Becky really did love Mark and resented Roseanne for alot of reasons.  Becky dropped out of school and followed Mark to (I think) Chicago for a job with every intention of going back to school eventually but then the Becky switch happened and Sarah Chalks Becky didn’t really care all that much about going back to school.  All she really wanted was to make Mark happy.  The one thing both versions of Becky had in common was they genuinely loved Mark.  

If Mark died young I can see it sending OG Becky into a tailspin.  Never going back to school.  Giving up on life for a good long long time.  Only pulling herself out ironically when Darleen her arch nemesis and best friend comes home again.  Maybe not quite with the perfect life she always thought she would have.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

I read it was nine.

I think it's nine in Canada, as the first two episodes ran as a one hour episode, as @Lady Calypso mentioned up thread. Here, in the States, at least for me, it ran as two separate episodes. Same thing happens with Poldark. The first episode runs as a single two hour episode in the U.K., and it's split into two episodes in the States. Or vice versa. I can't recall. But it accounts for the differences in episode numbers.

2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

One of the things the reboot does need to deal with is that OG Becky really did love Mark and resented Roseanne for alpt of reasons.  Becky dropped out of school and followed Mark to (I think) Chicago for a job with every intention of going back to school eventually but then the Becky switch happened and Sarah Chalks Becky didn’t really care all that much about going back to school.  All she really wanted was to make Mark happy.  The one thing both versions of Becky had in common was they genuinely loved Mark.  

If Mark died young I can see it sending OG Becky into a tailspin.  Never going back to school.  Giving up on life fir a good long long time.  Only pulling herself out ironically when Darleen her arch nemesis and best friend comes home again.  Maybe not quite with the perfect life she always thought she would have.   

Becky and Mark went to Minnesota - Darlene and David were in Chicago (for art school)

:)

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Home interiors rarely make sense in multi camera shows. The kitchen does my head in, it’s like a square with 6 corners. 

Golden Girls was the absolute worst! The hallway to nowhere, the kitchen exit to nowhere, the fact that the interior layout would've been impossible with the exterior of the house they used. I put way too much thought into petty details, but it bugged the heck out of me.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think it's nine in Canada, as the first two episodes ran as a one hour episode, as @Lady Calypso mentioned up thread. Here, in the States, at least for me, it ran as two separate episodes. Same thing happens with Poldark. The first episode runs as a single two hour episode in the U.K., and it's split into two episodes in the States. Or vice versa. I can't recall. But it accounts for the differences in episode numbers.

This article should clarify things, but it was previously eight episode, which got bumped up to an additional episode, bringing it to nine. So, episodes one and two did air last night, leaving seven more episodes. I thought it was 10 episodes as well, but I was mistaken. 

• Love 3

Put me down for "pleasantly surprised." I agree with those who found it a bit jarring at first to see them in HiDef but otherwise the overall vibe was very close to the original.  I got a lot of good laughs out of it.

I watch Shameless so it was hard for me to see Emma Kenney as anyone other than Debbie Gallagher - especially since both characters seem very similar. Still a pretty good choice to play Darlene's daughter. I do hope they explain why Darlene would have named her son Mark - she never particularly cared for him. Maybe he died when she was pregnant with her son but she's not even particularly close with Becky most of the time so it's still a bit of a stretch she would name her son after him even to honor him.

I did catch Roseanne referencing DJ's wife as "Gina" and I remembered that was the name of the girl DJ didn't want to kiss in the school play, so nice touch, show. But I agree they need to acknowledge Jackie's son at some point even if they aren't interested in including that character in the story. They've done a great job with continuity otherwise, even ret-conning the retcon from the original finale, about the whole show being a book. Now the retcon was the book! Clever.

The only thing I'll say about the political aspect is that while I can certainly buy Roseanne being a Trump voter, I have a much harder time believing she thought Clinton was "the worst person on earth." It's consistent that the Conners, being a white, working class blue collar family would be Trump voters. It's not consistent that Roseanne would buy into a lot of ridiculous propaganda and hysteria. They should have just left it as her thinking Trump was the better choice.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I watch Shameless so it was hard for me to see Emma Kenney as anyone other than Debbie Gallagher - especially since both characters seem very similar. Still a pretty good choice to play Darlene's daughter. I do hope they explain why Darlene would have named her son Mark - she never particularly cared for him. Maybe he died when she was pregnant with her son but she's not even particularly close with Becky most of the time so it's still a bit of a stretch she would name her son after him even to honor him.

Mark is David's brother, so it was probably him that wanted to name their son Mark.  Darlene has seemed to have softened a bit so she probably didn't hate Mark as much then he died, so she agreed to naming their kid after him. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 16

Most network TV shows have 22/23 episodes per season these days. I Love Lucy and Bewitched had 35 and 36 for their first seasons! This show won’t even approach 22/23 a year. Dan “died” to get out of doing another 22/23 episode season.  Becky ran away for similar reasons.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I never thought of this show as the Anti-Cosby. In fact, the one thing that Cosby and Rashad, and others stated was, for the first time they were able to show a successful Black family, who wasn't struggling. I loved both shows

Being anti-Cosby doesn't have anything to do with countering a show that showed a successful black family. It wasn't about race. Cosby was about a family where the dad was always right, the mom and dad always had wise and pithy advice for their kids (or a funny joke), where the kids recognized the wisdom of their parents and where no one ever really made a meaningful mistake. Cosby was the epitome of happy family sitcom to that point. Roseanne blew it up (as did The Simpsons) with a family that featured people who didn't like each other at times, who were ignorant and flawed and made bad decisions and who, partially as a consequence of those decisions, didn't have a great life - and yet they were also a family.  I'm pretty sure that when the show came out, reviews often contrasted the two shows along those veins. I watched Cosby for several years, and then tired of how wonderful everyone was. Roseanne showed a reality I felt was more in tune with most families.

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm also not really feeling Jackie as a life coach. Sure, it's funny given her own history, but is it realistic in a small town where most people live hand to mouth? I can't see how she could make a living at it, especially in a town like Lanford. 

I think you actually stated the joke. Being a "life coach" is what many people who don't know what else to do grab onto, and then they struggle to find meaningful employment. because as you noted, how many people need a life coach?  And the irony is, people who become life coaches often haven't been very successful coaching their own lives.  They just don't know what else they want to do for a living. One lives across the street from me IRL, BTW. Anyway, Jackie is a retired cop, who gets a pension. She probably makes enough to live OK, and chooses to keep working to do better than OK. And her life coach path is clearly is a struggle for her, and those around her.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 7

I think the Becky trajectory will make sense only if they reveal Mark died relatively early on in their marriage, i.e., before the ten year mark. Otherwise I can't figure out why Becky wouldn't have at least gone to trade school or gotten an Associate's if she had a husband with with steady job. Sarah Chalke's Becky being content with waitressing at a Hooter's-style restaurant never rang true to me, because Lecy Goranson's Becky was determined not to end up like her mother. It's weird that she'd give up on life so easily.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Absolutely none. Here's some more accurate numbers for both episodes. Note that these numbers may shift, so there MAY have been a slight drop when the final ratings come out, but if there is, it wasn't by much at all.

For Canada, it was promoted as an hour long episode, instead of two half hour ones, so I wonder if that helped.

I'm so psyched for the cast.  It must feel good to have a strong comeback like that.  In an industry where getting work as a woman over 40......so happy for them.  I hope it continues for however long they intend to extend the show. Especially, since it was a project they really wanted and feel good about, and not just a job.

• Love 12