Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

13 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Most network TV shows have 22/23 episodes per season these days. I Love Lucy and Bewitched had 35 and 36 for their first seasons! This show won’t even approach 22/23 a year. Dan “died” to get out of doing another 22/23 episode season.  Becky ran away for similar reasons.

The Andy Griffith Show routinely has 32 episodes. In fact, I think the vast majority of shows back then had 32 episodes a season. I wonder when that changed? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think the Becky trajectory will make sense only if they reveal Mark died relatively early on in their marriage, i.e., before the ten year mark. Otherwise I can't figure out why Becky wouldn't have at least gone to trade school or gotten an Associate's if she had a husband with with steady job. Sarah Chalke's Becky being content with waitressing at a Hooter's-style restaurant never rang true to me, because Lecy Goranson's Becky was determined not to end up like her mother. It's weird that she'd give up on life so easily.

That's why I hope they delve into the circumstances and timing of Mark's death and how Becky's life changed after that. There's a lot of potential to explore what that type of life trajectory does to a person. Becky was the one they always felt was college-bound, who had the brains and the drive to get out of this town -- which she did, but because she dropped out of high school at 17 to elope. After that, her original goals just fell completely by the wayside. She was shown doing schoolwork for community college for a few episodes, went to work with words on her butt and moved into a trailer. Not exactly what people envisioned for Becky when she was an honor student, that's for sure. Her whole life was changed by her relationship with Mark, was defined by Mark, for better or worse. And then he died. Then what? What did her life become about then?

• Love 7

I think it was way stilted in the first episode, it was like they were enunciating every - single - word too much. It was 10x better in the second episode, so hopefully just premiere jitters.

I think Roseanne mentioned in the grace that Andy is overseas somewhere, I didn't catch the country she said. (Oh and that 'Jackie, do you wanna take a knee?' line, I BUSTED out a laugh at that. You go Rosy, throw some smack around.)

Darlene shining, but then Sara G has been on tv all this time so probably much more comfortable.  OTOH...Michael Fishman, I do not know if it's you or the lines they are giving you, but RELAX some, he seems SO stilted in his delivery.  Lecy I like but that deeper voice is taking some getting used to. Like Sarah C, tho not sure how good a character this is for her. Laurie Metcalf stealing the show IMO, Jackie cracks me up constantly - she is so EARNEST in everything and great delivery.

Harris - great so far, like a larger package Darlene of course. That hug moment was nice, how often do you see hugs on sitcom shows unless someone has died or its romantically related?

John Goodman's aces as usual, he gets those facial expressions so easily that say a lot with little dialogue. I loved how he still reads a 'paper' newspaper. 

I need to rewatch the final season, I've forgotten much of the old storyline.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 5

I can see it being realistic that Dan and Roseanne are “retired”- not in the sense that they made the conscious choice to leave work and travel the world, but in the sense that they may have been asked “politely” to leave their jobs, and due their age and skills, hunting down another full time job just wasn’t worth it.

Social Security isn’t much to live on but the kids were out of the house- with Dan doing drywall part time, and Roseanne doing uber part time, they could keep the lights on and food in the fridge. If the Connors had little Mary while DJ and Geena were overseas they may have sent some of their income home to help cover costs (food, her clothes etc). 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, UYI said:

The Andy Griffith Show routinely has 32 episodes. In fact, I think the vast majority of shows back then had 32 episodes a season. I wonder when that changed

Probably when the actors wisened up and started asking for royalties 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Ottis said:

Being anti-Cosby doesn't have anything to do with countering a show that showed a successful black family. It wasn't about race. Cosby was about a family where the dad was always right, the mom and dad always had wise and pithy advice for their kids (or a funny joke), where the kids recognized the wisdom of their parents and where no one ever really made a meaningful mistake. Cosby was the epitome of happy family sitcom to that point. Roseanne blew it up (as did The Simpsons) with a family that featured people who didn't like each other at times, who were ignorant and flawed and made bad decisions and who, partially as a consequence of those decisions, didn't have a great life - and yet they were also a family.  I'm pretty sure that when the show came out, reviews often contrasted the two shows along those veins. I watched Cosby for several years, and then tired of how wonderful everyone was. Roseanne showed a reality I felt was more in tune with most families.

Married...with Children's working title when the show first began shooting was Not the Cosbys. It premiered the year before Roseanne (in fact, Roseanne herself was approached to play Peg, but turned the offer down), and sought to blow the traditional sitcom family to smithereens. That said, Roseanne was generally much more grounded in reality than MWC (and yet there are STILL people out there who say the Bundys reminded them of their own families, which...concerns me).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

The only way Becky makes any sense is if she did lots of drugs and fried her brain. 

Becky's storyline is one that I am really interested in.  She was such a good student as a teen, worked hard, etc.  Maybe this side of her is her way of rebelling against always being the good girl?  Or possibly Mark's death drove her into a dark place.  Whatever the reason, I'm in.  I want to know.

1 hour ago, hnygrl said:

Think maybe David's the gay one? Maybe they broke up because DAVID is gay? Galecki's only gonna be in one episode, TBBT wouldn't release him for more than that.

I love TBBT.  I love every episode that Sara Gilbert is in, as Leslie Winkle.  And when Laurie Metcalf showed up as Mrs. Cooper, I loved that too.  How cool is it for three actors to reconnect and star in not one but two huge comedy hits.  There needs to be an agreement between the producers of both shows because if we can have Leslie and Mrs. Cooper, I think we need David back for more than just one episode (although I am also super curious to know what happened to their marriage).

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Speaking of Jackie, did she say she was off the force for four years. I thought she did not got back to the police force after her back injury.

Jackie was only a cop for about a year. She quit after her back injury when she found out she'd have to take a desk job. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Darlene shining, but then Sara G has been on tv all this time so probably much more comfortable.  OTOH...Michael Fishman, I do not know if it's you or the lines they are giving you, but RELAX some, he seems SO stilted in his delivery.  

Michael Fishman was always a horrible actor. I think his resemblance to Roseanne was the only thing giving him job security. If they keep DJ as a peripheral character who pops in now and again, they can probably overcome his deficiencies, but too many DJ-centered episodes are going to suck (unless Gina and Mary can carry him).

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I think she said it was Geena (D.J.'s wife) who is still overseas.

Both.  She prayed for Jerry who was off on a boat with apparently no phones to call home.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Both.  She prayed for Jerry who was off on a boat with apparently no phones to call home.

The poster said she mentioned Andy in the grace. Andy was not mentioned in the episodes at all.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Michael Fishman was always a horrible actor. I think his resemblance to Roseanne was the only thing giving him job security. If they keep DJ as a peripheral character who pops in now and again, they can probably overcome his deficiencies, but too many DJ-centered episodes are going to suck (unless Gina and Mary can carry him).

IMO, Michael came into his own as he got older.  There are a couple of episodes where I thought he really stood out - the "That's Our Rosie" episode as "The Deej," and the episode where he's caught spying on Molly are two that come to mind.  As a really young child, you'd catch him smiling when the audience laughed - even peeking towards the audience.  As he got older, I think he learned to hold his own against Roseanne...no small feat.

• Love 1

Speaking of Jackie, did she say she was off the force for four years. I thought she did not got back to the police force after her back injury.

I believe she said she'd "been off the force for years," not "for four years."

The thing about Becky is that she was a smart,  high-achieving student when Gorensen played her, but when Sarah Chalke took over the roll, they really dumbed her down for some reason. It was Chalke's Becky that worked at a Hooters type restaurant, lived in a trailer, and thought nothing of it. They more or less course-corrected when Gorensen came back briefly and expressed an interest in going to college. 

I'd really like to know what went on behind the scenes with Gorensen's return and then inexplicable departure mid-season. I've always suspected Roseanne herself drove her off the show because she never wanted her back. It seems like they've made amends over the years.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm hoping they have D.J. randomly dart out of the room in a panic, just for old times' sake.

Not sure why, but this just made me think of the PMS episode where they are talking about Roseanne's PMS and Dan spells it out (cheerleader style) and DJ goes "OMG!" and falls out of the chair. Can you imagine what he would have done if he was in the living room listening to them talk about Andrea eating Becky's placenta?!

Something else I noticed...and I don't think has really been mentioned. When Jackie is telling Mary she can grow up and be anything she wants to be, she responds with:

"I want to train cats to bark."

SUCH a DJ thing to say.

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'd really like to know what went on behind the scenes with Gorensen's return and then inexplicable departure mid-season. I've always suspected Roseanne herself drove her off the show because she never wanted her back. It seems like they've made amends over the years.

Lecy only ever appeared sporadically in season 8, with Sarah Chalke stepping in for the episodes where Becky's absence would have made no sense (the family trip to Disney World and Darlene's wedding). It was believed that the 8th season would be the last one, so they found a way to work around Lecy's schedule to have her reprise the role for a last hurrah. But then the show got picked up for a ninth season, but Lecy was either not willing or not able to come back again. This is also why Dan is written out for much of the first half of season 9 and a few episodes in the latter half -- thinking the show would end after season 8, John Goodman signed on to movie projects.

• Love 5

The "Life Coach" job for Jackie also makes very little sense given the town and economy it is supposed to be in. Wealthy people pay for such help, not people making less than 45k in a state that has lost most of its manufacturing jobs.

Landford was always portrayed as a town where most everyone knew everyone else. So, in light of Jackie's life, who would pay her for advice? It doesn't ring true one bit.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Deskisamess said:

The "Life Coach" job for Jackie also makes very little sense given the town and economy it is supposed to be in. Wealthy people pay for such help, not people making less than 45k in a state that has lost most of its manufacturing jobs.

Landford was always portrayed as a town where most everyone knew everyone else. So, in light of Jackie's life, who would pay her for advice? It doesn't ring true one bit.

Yea that seemed a bit too random.

Liked these episodes ok. And could relate to Jackie in terms of how Roseanne kind of harangued her a bit. Know people who are similar to that. As for the characters themselves, it was little off at first, but it got better as it went along.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I believe she said she'd "been off the force for years," not "for four years."

The thing about Becky is that she was a smart,  high-achieving student when Gorensen played her, but when Sarah Chalke took over the roll, they really dumbed her down for some reason. It was Chalke's Becky that worked at a Hooters type restaurant, lived in a trailer, and thought nothing of it. They more or less course-corrected when Gorensen came back briefly and expressed an interest in going to college. 

Thanks! I guess I need my hearing checked. *lol*

20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think anything went on behind the scenes - Roseanne and the show execs were pretty generous in letting Lecy come and go as per her schedule. Most other shows wouldn't be - they'd just recast and leave it at that. Not turn it into the in house joke it became.

As per the differences in how the actresses played Becky - I put it down to the different stages of Beckys life they were at. Lecy played her from a kid to middle teen and Sarah took over from where she was married and dealing with issues. They just had different storylines. I do agree that they dumbed her down a bit but i think it was believably so as Mark seemed to have such a huge influence on her and her life that I buy she lost herself given how young she was when they married. She seemed happy (maybe a bit lazy) to try push his dreams rather than her own as she thought once he was sorted then everything would fall into place for her. 

I also think Chalke was a better actress then they originally gave her credit for and could have handled harder material then the original "Becky stomps in and out of rooms yelling at her parents" storylines she got throughout season six. 

• Love 7

Comparing Becky to real life: I have a cousin who dated his wife beginning at 14. She died unexpectedly at 27. His personal  life was definitely altered in a bad way for years. He managed to keep his job, but never really at the level he would have.  He’s slightly older than Becky’s character and is now stable.  I think that is what they will show with Becky. She lost Mark ( most likely in their 20s) and drifted in a sea of bad choices. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Lanford did have more than a few non poor people, such as Darlene’s black classmate with the stock broker father and name brand cornflakes, the neighbour with the ceramic Dalmatian thingy, uppity department store cafe customer lady who ordered water and a coffee, yuppie Leon, Nancy who had her butt removed.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Lanford did have more than a few non poor people, such as Darlene’s black classmate with the stock broker father and name brand cornflakes, and the neighbour with the ceramic Dalmatian thingy. 

The neighbors went back to Chicago years before. My point is that people who pay for Life Coaches are not the middle/upper income folks making 90k. They are the wealthy, the business owners, the real rich. Those folks don’t live in a town like Landford.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that one of the interviews have said that Lanford is now a majority-minority city.  That means a lot of people must have moved into town and others have moved out, so Jackie's reputation certainly could have improved.

• Love 4

I suspect we'll get a reference to Andy at some point; I don't care that we didn't in either of the first two episodes, but it will be weird if we never do.

I know the main reason we won't see Jerry or Andy in the revival is the desire to focus on the core characters from the two generations of the Harris/Conner family we watched the first time around plus the next generation that's new to us, and that works for me.  And, as a bonus, not seeing them avoids a reminder that Harris's age has been changed -- they, especially Jerry, weren't very old when she was born, so if they pop up as the adults they are, Harris being so much younger than she should be is in our faces.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The neighbors went back to Chicago years before. My point is that people who pay for Life Coaches are not the middle/upper income folks making 90k. They are the wealthy, the business owners, the real rich. Those folks don’t live in a town like Landford.

The self-made wealthy are usually savvy enough to see through the scam that is "life coaching." The people who fall for "life coaching" are the gullible ones who fall for self-help books, motivational speeches, and pyramid schemes.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 12

It was surprisingly funny. Jackie was the best. I loved her still doing laundry at the Conner home and her piping up that she is Life Coach when Mark's quirks were being discussed. I LMAO when she said she felt so bullied by Roseanne, that she ended up voting for Jill Stein instead of Hillary Clinton. That really is typical Jackie. But my absolute favorite Jackie moment was when she kept butting in and repeating everything Andrea was saying to the Conners, like she is just so knowledgeable. Again, classic Jackie. Laurie Metcalf is just fantastic.

Loved Darlene (she was always my favorite Conner) and her kids. I loved her request to Roseanne to not tell anyone she lost her job because then she can't make scathing remarks about Becky's and DJ's life choices. Adult Darlene is just great; still sarcastic, still has an antagonistic relationship with Becky, but is very family oriented. Not just with her kids but in her concern for her parents' well being and in wanting Jackie and Roseanne to make up. 

I agree with those who said that it's obvious who's been steadily acting for the last 20 years. Sara, Laurie, and John seemed to easily slip back into character, but Roseanne, Lecy, and Michael were a bit stiff. Hopefully that'll get better. Lecy's deeper voice took a bit getting used to but by the second episode I barely noticed. The revivals I've watched have been total misses, but Roseanne, so far, is bucking the trend. I think it's because it feels like the Conners have just been living their lives for the last 20 years with no ridiculous life altering moments, and we're just simply catching up with them. What they've done and become feels organic: DJ joining the army, Darlene being a single mom, Becky losing her husband and struggling to better herself, Dan & Roseanne getting old and having medical issues. And always, there's the struggle with money. Where Full House has spectacularly failed, Roseanne seems to have found the right formula. 

• Love 15
Just now, Deskisamess said:

I wonder how much they changed Becky’s character based on the physical differences of the two actresses. It would have been harder to see the original working at a Hooter’s type place.

It's possible although I think both actresses looked very alike when Chalke first appeared as Becky. Lecy just always had unfortunate hairstyles. The difference now though is glaring.

• Love 6

Have a feeling it may be revealed that DJ's daughter Mary is named after the Shelly Winters character Nana Mary, who they all loved so much.   BTW more than a few posters has mentioned that Sara has been actively "acting" what has she appeared in?  I have only seen her on The Talk.  Thanks  Oops forgot about Leslie Winkle on the BBT.

Edited by LucyEth
to add that I forgot Sara was on the BBT
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

But my absolute favorite Jackie moment was when she kept butting in and repeating everything Andrea was saying to the Conners, like she is just so knowledgeable. Again, classic Jackie.

Yes, that was the most quintessentially Jackie moment of the night.

I find it particularly funny that she's a life coach when I think back to that episode at the mall where she was so impressed with that self-help/exercise guy.  I hadn't thought going in of what Jackie's latest job would be, but once I heard life coach, I thought, "Of course!" 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Um... who keeps the same couch for 3O years? 

I did.  There wasn't anything wrong with my old couch (until the arm broke), and I couldn't afford to replace furniture that wasn't broken.

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Have a feeling it may be revealed that DJ's daughter Mary is named after the Shelly Winters character Nana Mary, who they all loved so much.   BTW more than a few posters has mentioned that Sara has been actively "acting" what has she appeared in?  I have only seen her on The Talk.  Thanks  Oops forgot about Leslie Winkle on the BBT.

She's currently recurring on Living Biblically, but I don't watch that so I don't know how big her role is.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

and therein lies the joke.  Jackie is always trying out something else.  

• Love 10

Oh I loved it!  

Was everything perfect?  Far from it!  Was some of the acting a bit stiff, and some of the lines a bit too try-hard? Yes.  But, yet, I still thought it was wonderful.  To me, it felt like getting back together with an old group of dysfunctional family after 2 decades. 

As it's been mentioned, Sara G. was a standout. She REALLY knocked it out of the park in that scene with Mark in the bedroom.  When she got choked up, I did too.  So very subtle, and well done.

There were quite a few funny lines, but for some reason the one that cracked me up the most was "Oh look Dan, she brought RUSSIAN dressing." 

Admittedly it IS weird that they seem to be pretending that Andy doesn't exist (well at least so far).  Even though she's not "interested" in featuring Jerry, at least there was a mention of him.  

I am assuming that Darlene's son Mark is named for his deceased Uncle.  I read that Johnny Galecki, Estelle Parsons, Sandra Bernhard and the actresses that played Crystal and Annmarie will all be featured.  

Oh good, I was wondering if they would be bringing some of these characters back, and I'm happy to hear that they will appear.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

The same couch is odd, considering the size of the people who'd been using it. I've known people who have had a couch or chair for 30+ years, but it was expensive furniture and not subject to abuse.

We raised 4 kids, and while we had some pieces for 20+ years, they were only in marginal shape at that point. Especially the family room sectional sofa.

• Love 2

Original Roseanne was about one family, but now that one family has become four families, if you count each now-adult child as their own family, along with Dan and Roseanne.  Then we need to add Jackie.  There is no way they can all be main characters or main families, unless they adopt a Life in Pieces type format (great show btw), which would ruin Roseanne.  Because of this I think that it would really be very natural if Darlene became the more main character, with the others still maintaining significant roles, they are all very much necessary and I want to see them!  Just like Roseanne couldn't have been 'Roseanne' without the rest of them.  But it's unrealistic to think that every character will be equal and as far as the Connor kids go, Darlene stands out.  Not because Sara is a producer, but because Darlene.  She's always had more of Roseanne's attitude.  If it ends up going this way, it will be fine with me.  If not, that's fine too, I'm just happy to have them back.  

The sweater that Jackie wears in the opening sequence will never NOT remind me of Gilligan. 

Edited by eskimo
Was a little to wordy
  • Love 7

I noticed something upon rewatching. When Roseanne mentioned Jerry, Dan had a strange expression. I wonder if he really doesn’t call or just communicates with Dan because of Roseanne’s strong personality. 

I also LOL’d at Dan calling Roseanne “Mother” in the opening scene. I wonder if that was a dig at Pence. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, eskimo said:

She's always had more of Roseanne's attitude.

Not really. Becky was way more of Roseanne's child than Darlene. Darlene took more after Dan IMO.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The same couch is odd, considering the size of the people who'd been using it. I've known people who have had a couch or chair for 30+ years, but it was expensive furniture and not subject to abuse.

We raised 4 kids, and while we had some pieces for 20+ years, they were only in marginal shape at that point. Especially the family room sectional sofa.

You wouldn't believe how many couches my parents have had in their den since Roseanne original first aired.....ONE.  And, it's been used by some heavy people, slept on by various family members too!  She does keep a coverlet on it, but, it's still really comfortable!  I'm not kidding. Mom has threatened to get a new one this spring.  lol  IT's a Broyhill brand. That's what I"m getting next. 

• Love 1

Not really. Becky was way more of Roseanne's child than Darlene. Darlene took more after Dan IMO.

It started out that way, but Darlene did eventually become more of a mini-Roseanne. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Dee said:

I can see what you're saying in some aspects, like the episode where Dan had to hang out with Becky and Roseanne had to hang out with Darlene, and both kids thought it was weird.  But we'll have to agree to disagree on the attitude.  Becky had attitude for sure, but it was Darlene that had that sarcastic attitude of Roseanne's.  YMMV.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It started out that way, but Darlene did eventually become more of a mini-Roseanne. 

Yeah once Lecy drifted off in season five I think Darlene got bumped up to taking her place in being a mini Roseanne as well as more studious etc. I think that's also why they didn't bother to focus on Beckys school motives when Chalke returned as her in season six. Darlene was already filling that spot.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

You guys, I just remembered that Lecy played a pregnant redneck on Sex And The City who pretended she wanted Charlotte and Harry to adopt her baby just so she and her husband/baby daddy could score a free trip to NYC, so she's not a stranger to a dodgy surrogacy/adoption storyline.

And here I’ve not been traveling for years due to finances.  I could have been going places! 

• Love 5

Despite other personality differences between Darlene and Roseanne, their 'take no crap' attitude was the same from the beginning.  They were the least likely of all the characters to compromise, which made it so fun when they came up against each other! 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I did like that Rosanne's grandkids call her 'Granny Rose.'

I'm trying to figure out why Darlene is getting rides to interviews. Did she not have a car in Chicago? 

It's entirely possible that she didn't.  Chicago has an EXCELLENT public transportation system.  And if you live in downtown Chicago (as opposed to one of the nearby burbs like Evanston or Oak Park), parking is either extremely difficult to find on the street or extremely costly if you opt to park in a lot or garage.  Many downtown residents opt not to own a car.

• Love 4