Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

18 hours ago, UYI said:

I don't think Lanford (no extra "d'! lol) is a real town. That does make me curious what town in Illinois it's based on, though. Moline, maybe? Roseanne and Jackie's parents lived there before Bev came back to Lanford.

The producers and writers (including Roseanne) went to Elgin, IL for research this time. They learned that the Connor family would now be a racial minority there (lots of Hispanic and Thai families), the opoid crisis was relevant, the Connors would be making LESS money now than they were 20 years ago, and that nobody is impressed by organic food.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

The producers and writers (including Roseanne) went to Elgin, IL for research this time. They learned that the Connor family would now be a racial minority there (lots of Hispanic and Thai families), the opoid crisis was relevant, the Connors would be making LESS money now than they were 20 years ago, and that nobody is impressed by organic food.

I saw Roseanne say that on the View.  but she didn't mention Elgin, I believe she said they went to Lanford.  It was weird.  Or I may have misheard.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

If I remember correctly, there was an episode where Roseanne worked in the beauty shop and mentioned someone coming to visit and flying into Moline.

Moline is where her parents were living at the time, and she was explaining that she got her new haircut there while visiting.  No flying.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The second episode ("Dress to Impress") was not the second episode they filmed. ABC is not showing them in filming order. I guess they thought this episode paired better with the premier than the one they actually shot second. Notice the stair lift in the second episode - no explanation for it, but there is an upcoming episode where it's installed.  

You know, I was wondering about that. I didn't notice the stair lift--but I did notice (besides the alteration of Roseanne's "look") that the whole "Jackie is a Nasty Pussy-Hat-Wearing Woman Who Is Barely Allowed Inside Our House" thing was as if it never happened. Seemed like a lot of change to happen between two adjacent episodes.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, PradaKitty said:

Um... who keeps the same couch for 3O years? 

Loved seeing the cast again - Harris is Darlene3.0 and looks as though she could be Sarah Gilbert’s child.

i just want to know what happened to Andy! 

My parents.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Lanford is based, or inspired by, Evansville, Indiana, the hometown of show creator Matt Williams (though of course, once Roseanne forced him out, and before, she claimed she really created the show and it was all about her). The establishing shots of the house, and some other "Lanford" buildings, are from real places in Evansville.

Not quite - before the show Roseanne,  Roseanne had an HBO comedy special  that in one segment featured  her as a lower-middle class smart-ass mom with kids, hubby and I believe mother or MIL living with them. They may have even lived in a trailer.

It was a precursor to the show Roseanne  that wouldn't have been a stretch for Matt Williams to add to. I believe at the very least  Roseanne should have also been given equal credit for the show's creation

I will agree, he was responsible for Lanford

I also LOL’d at Dan calling Roseanne “Mother” in the opening scene. I wonder if that was a dig at Pence. 

On an  old episode, when Rosie was putting balm on Dan didn't  he say "hit me mommy"

• Love 2

It's interesting that when Sarah Chalke's character asked about a history of mental illness Jackie brought up Bev but nobody mentioned Dan's mother. That was a pretty dramatic story arc in one of the later seasons.

• Love 18

Not to mention I'd be very surprised if Darlene hadn't gotten a diagnosis of depression by now. She certainly seem to be experiencing it around seasons 4 and 5. Becky must also be leaving out Harris's preterm birth. That would be a huge red flag that the sister of the potential mother had such a complicated delivery. I would imagine Andrea would be incredibly concerned that this would be some sort of an inherited family issue.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

Not quite - before the show Roseanne,  Roseanne had an HBO comedy special  that in one segment featured  her as a lower-middle class smart-ass mom with kids, hubby and I believe mother or MIL living with them. They may have even lived in a trailer.

It was a precursor to the show Roseanne  that wouldn't have been a stretch for Matt Williams to add to. I believe at the very least  Roseanne should have also been given equal credit for the show's creation

Williams was hired by Carsey/Werner to write a sitcom about a working class Midwestern family where one of the parents worked in a plastics factory (as his father did in real life; hence Roseanne's job in season one), which was then merged with Roseanne's persona. I agree that a co-creator credit for each of them would have made sense, but unfortunately, the Writers Guild's rules said otherwise. So he got the creator credit for the show and she got "Based on a character created by."

A few years later, Home Improvement was built around Tim Allen's standup persona. He isn't one of the three credited creators of the show.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I live in Chicago and a lot of the schools around me go from K through 8th grade.. and then high school.  So it's possible that Harris is now a freshman in high school while Mark Jr is in 5th grade.

Charter schools are huge now and a lot of them do K through 8 or something similar. I could see Darlene and David having their kids at an alternative charter school instead of the traditional format.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, Sile said:

The only way I could stand the surrogate storyline was making up my own plot where Andrea is actually Andy and, since she obviously can't have a biological child, targeted Becky so her child would be genetically related.  Hey, if they could age down Harris, they could age up Andy.  That blew up when Jackie was there for the family meet, though.  I would think that, even if she had left home as a confused teenager, Jackie still would have recognized her own child.  

I actually thought that would be an interesting plot, for Sarah to come back as a transitioned Andy and it would have been payoff for the show's joke flashforward to 2010 with Andy as a beautiful teenaged girl, but yeah. There are things I'm willing to accept or forego, but Jackie not recognizing her own child is not one of them. I'm starting to think they might have just retconned Andy out of existence.  Maybe they're keeping the "Jackie is a lesbian" thing from the book even though they're disregarding everything else.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Charter schools are huge now and a lot of them do K through 8 or something similar. I could see Darlene and David having their kids at an alternative charter school instead of the traditional format.

I actually thought that would be an interesting plot, for Sarah to come back as a transitioned Andy and it would have been payoff for the show's joke flashforward to 2010 with Andy as a beautiful teenaged girl, but yeah. There are things I'm willing to accept or forego, but Jackie not recognizing her own child is not one of them. I'm starting to think they might have just retconned Andy out of existence.  Maybe they're keeping the "Jackie is a lesbian" thing from the book even though they're disregarding everything else.

Maybe Andy is with Jerry on that fishing boat, only Jackie no longer considers him part of the family...

• Love 1

I love Jackie, and expected her to be wacky at first. Standing dramatically at the door, as it opened, wearing her hat and nasty woman T-shirt. :) 

I haven't watched this show for years. Mum used to watch the reruns regularly. I couldn't remember who some of the people are, that have been mentioned - I remembered the main cast. The girl cast as Darlene's daughter, is great - she looks like she could be her daughter. 

I'm still watching the second episode. I also felt a little teary-eyed when it started, and her name came up on the screen. 

• Love 3

Since Roseanne and Jackie had a year-long falling out over the election, they could've easily put Andy's whereabouts to rest with a simple "How's Andy doing?" to which Jackie responds "Great, he loves living in *insert random city*" and let that be the end of it. I don't think anyone really cares about the character, but acting like he never happened is kind of strange. Maybe we'll get a mention in one of the upcoming episodes. 

• Love 11

Regarding the political humor:

i thought the show played it perfectly by establishing at the beginning that Roseanne and Jackie hadn’t spoken for awhile, but not saying why. Then when Darlene opened the door and Jackie was standing there in that hat and t-shirt, snarling,”Hello, deplorable”, at Roseanne, I actually laughed out loud. It summed everything up wonderfully, and would have been fine if they left it there. After that, it felt like too many such jokes were being crammed in, and it lost its punch for me.

Overall, I liked the reboot more than I expected, especially since I was only a modest fan the first time around.

• Love 6

Roseanne finally got her dishwasher!  Remember when that uptight bitch lived next door and Rosie went over to her house and got all pissed because their houses were built to the same plan but "needle up the butt" had a dishwasher and Dan told her she couldn't have one.

I was also thrilled to see GODZILLA on the mantel.

Many posters mentioned checking off current issues.  If in fact Becky has a drugs issue, that would take care of the opioid epidemic. 

Finally, I must confess that the opening scene reminded me so much of -- ME.  I have pill cases, I have osteoarthritis in my knee like Roseanne (reason for the chair list and Darlene putting an ice pack on her elevated knee), and Dan having sleep apnea and using a CPAP machine.  All stuff people in their 60s deal with.

Edited to add:  I don't give a fuck whether they mention Andy or not.

Edited by Oosala
The post below mine
  • Love 7
On 3/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, CouchTater said:

We've only seen 2 episodes of the reboot.  Who's to say that Andy won't get a mention, or even an appearance?  As an adult, maybe he moved away from Lanford, isn't in close contact with Jackie and his extended family, etc. 

It's waaaay too early to criticize missing characters and plots.  They couldn't cram everything into 2 episodes, or people would find fault with that, too.

This.  The nitpicking, the "they could have...", "they should've...", "I want a throwaway line" about so-and-so.  Either you enjoyed the two episodes so far or you didn't but nitpicking your way through 40 minutes of screen time after 20 years is a bit ridiculous, IMHO, of course.

• Love 18
On 3/28/2018 at 9:32 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

but thats the point in that first 10min they crammed everyone else in they couldn't have named dropped him?

Perhaps the show didn't want to just name drop, but in a future episode the character will be covered or make an appearance (any one of the missing ones, dead or alive).

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Roseanne finally got her dishwasher!  Remember when that uptight bitch lived next door and Rosie went over to her house and got all pissed because their houses were built to the same plan but "needle up the butt" had a dishwasher and Dan told her she couldn't have one..

Dan bought one in the original series. I think it was the soap opera episode. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Dan bought one in the original series. I think it was the soap opera episode. 

My bad.  I stopped watching Roseanne before it went off the air because it, imo, it stopped being funny.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Automne said:

It does seem like Darlene is getting the better edit, but Becky is essentially in line with her characterization. Becky is very short-sighted, selfish, stubborn, and impulsive. Criminy, she got married at 17 to move to Minneapolis. Once she met Mark, all sense flew out the window and she made rather poor life choices. Even when her parents handed her a check for a lot of money with the intent that she take college courses, she wanted to invest all that money into Mark instead while she worked at the Hooters expy.

Basically, all of Becky's chickens came home to roost in the past 20 years + the additional bad luck of her husband dying (which highlights her short-sightedness. You should always have a plan in case of marriage dissolution or spousal death). Darlene was academically lazy, snarky, and downright emotionally abusive at times, but she had some sense and a focus as to where she wanted to go and be in life and didn't completely sacrifice herself for David like Becky did for Mark. When David didn't get into school, but Darlene did, he tried to manipulate her into staying in Lanford, but she still went to college. Plus, David was a little more intelligent than his brother and probably was able to get some sort of decent and more secure job to provide for his family. David seems like the kind of person who would've gotten into IT. It would stand to reason that Darlene is somewhat better off than Becky.

When you really think about it, Becky became Jackie while Darlene is (and always was) Roseanne.

There was always this weird mirror between Roseanne and Jackie and Darlene and Becky.  For the first few years it looked like Roseanne saw herself in Becky.  Even going so far as comparing Mark to Dan in alot of ways.  Which is often why I think the show might have gone in a different direction if the Becky switch hadn't happened but it did and for whatever reason Roseanne just changed who she saw herself in.  Darlene who in the first few seasons Roseanne had to struggle to even have common ground with suddenly became soul sisters and the show in alot of ways became the Darlene show as much as it was the Roseanne show.  Even if Darlene ended up with a guy polar opposite to Dan which I think might have been the point.  

Since Roseanne and Jackie had a year-long falling out over the election, they could've easily put Andy's whereabouts to rest with a simple "How's Andy doing?" to which Jackie responds "Great, he loves living in *insert random city*" and let that be the end of it. I don't think anyone really cares about the character, but acting like he never happened is kind of strange. Maybe we'll get a mention in one of the upcoming episodes. 

I am guessing along with Dan being no longer dead I am guessing another season finale thing the show is doing is making Jackie gay.  Andy just doesn't exist anymore.  Never did.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

There was always this weird mirror between Roseanne and Jackie and Darlene and Becky.  For the first few years it looked like Roseanne saw herself in Becky.  Even going so far as comparing Mark to Dan in alot of ways.  Which is often why I think the show might have gone in a different direction if the Becky switch hadn't happened but it did and for whatever reason Roseanne just changed who she saw herself in.  Darlene who in the first few seasons Roseanne had to struggle to even have common ground with suddenly became soul sisters and the show in alot of ways became the Darlene show as much as it was the Roseanne show.  Even if Darlene ended up with a guy polar opposite to Dan which I think might have been the point.  

I think the shift to Darlene started a little earlier than that. It was the poem episode when Roseanne started seeing a bit of herself in her.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

OK, help me out, I can't seems to remember a lot from the original but...were Mark and David brothers?

Yes, Mark being the oldest Healy child (they also have two younger sisters, Lisa and Nikki; when the dad left, he took them with him).  Mark and Becky started dating first, then David and Darlene.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes, David being the oldest Healy child (they also have two younger sisters, Lisa and Nikki; when the dad left, he took them with him).

Mark was the oldest, not David.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:31 PM, Dee said:

Not really. Becky was way more of Roseanne's child than Darlene. Darlene took more after Dan IMO.

I respectfully disagree.  Darlene had Roseanne's snarkitude.  Becky was always on the sweet side, and Darlene was more on the salty.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2018 at 3:58 PM, Cupcake04 said:

YAY!!! I FLOVED IT!!!!

That's great!!!  I'm going to re-watch again tonight though because I can't wait.  P.S.  It's been mentioned before, but the two Roseanne 2.0 episodes as well as the 20/20 show about the return of the show are on Hulu (regular version).  Love my Hulu/Roku!  Plus:  no commercials!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I respectfully disagree.  Darlene had Roseanne's snarkitude.  Becky was always on the sweet side, and Darlene was more on the salty.

Both Becky and Darlene were their mother's daughters in different ways -- Becky was like Roseanne in the sense that she was into girly stuff and dated a boy that her parents disapproved of who was a lot like the boy her mother married; Darlene was like Roseanne in that she was a sarcastic rebel with a creative side. But Becky was also Roseanne's child and Darlene was Dan's in the sense that, in the earlier years at least, that was the parent they were closest to and could talk and relate to more than the other, which we saw directly addressed in more than one episode. Dan never had any idea how to talk to Becky, and Roseanne was bothered when Becky went through her bratty teen years and stopped sharing with her; Roseanne couldn't relate to Darlene at all, and Dan was bothered when Darlene went through her teen phase and stopped confiding in him.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I guess they’re free to not watch. Some should have—I thought it was handled well and pretty even. But people need to grow up and figure out how to live in a world where people have different opinions. It’s fine to disagree but people should know how to do it in a mature way w/o devolving into the rabid meanness I’ve seen in the world in the last decade or so. I think this is such an important life lesson—I drill it into my kids’ heads frequently. (“She likes skittles. Only dummies like skittles.” “She can like a different candy than you. That doesn’t make her dumb. If everyone liked the same candy, there would only be one candy & the world would be boring. You can just say that you don’t like them.”)

*I think Skittles are awful garbage candy. But I support anyone’s right to like them. 

This.  No sense in me bolding the whole post.  ;)

• Love 3

I never really liked, or watched, the original show when it was on so I even surprised myself by being excited when I heard it was getting a reboot. I loved it, except for Becky, and can't wait to see what more episodes bring.

18 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

"

Roseanne was on Howard Stern the other day and said this exactly. Howard said something like "you must have Seinfeld type money now"  she said "no I don't, I didn't get creator credit and I don't own the show....Jerry learned from my mistakes how to get credit".  She wasn't bitter...she was bitter when she saw on the first show's credits that her name wasn't on as creator, but I think she's a little bit over it.  

For anyone wondering about what is up with Andy not getting a mention, here is an article about it: https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/family/roseanne-what-ever-happened-to-jackies-son-andy-we-have-answers/ar-AAvdSHF

Spoiler

So it seems like, if there is a 2nd season (which is fairly likely if these massive ratings hold) we might get to see Andy and Jerry in the flesh at some point. So they haven't forgotten about him.

Edited by Pallas
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Darlene was a mini Roseanne in attitude, but she was Dan's child in interests. Makes sense. The parents side with the child that is least like them. Opposites attracting, even in parent/child relationships. Think about your relationship with your parents. I was more like my mother, therefore, we couldn't be in the same room with each other for 10 minutes without clashing. 

Holy shit. Why did I never know that Fred's last name was Oakland? I didn't know that until I read the article that HeySandyStrange linked above. And I even own the DVD set (minus season 9) and watch reruns whenever I come across them (on TVLand, Logo or CMT). 

Proof of the wide appeal of Roseanne. The reruns have been in daily rotation on Logo, the progressive LGBTQ based network, and CMT, the more conservative Country Music channel that also runs Tim Allen's Last Man Standing. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

Regarding Jerry and Andy- I read an article with Roseanne and she said that with only so many episodes, there was no way they could get very deep into those characters.  She said she would like to, if they ended up going longer, but initially I think it was only supposed to be a one-and-done season.  There has been so much press I don't want to wade through all the articles, but I swear I read that.  Or maybe I dreamed it.  Or maybe it's just part of a book I'm writing.  ;)  Lol

I just saw that HeySandyStrange attached the article.  So now we know who's lazier out of the two of us.  Lol 

Edited by eskimo
  • Love 8

I absolutely loved Becky storming up the stairs only to turn around, come back down with the "I don't live here anymore " line, then head out through the kitchen.  

• Love 8
On 3/29/2018 at 10:49 AM, UYI said:

There was, his name was Sal Barone. He was replaced with Michael Fishman after the pilot because, for some reason, he and Sara Gilbert didn't get along. 

There were also two Lonnies (Crystal's first son) -  the first Lonnie had dark hair and then the second Lonnie had blond hair. 

I was so excited to see the reboot and it did not disappoint. The political stuff was just "out there" and it was really funny. I suspect it's probably going to calm down. Also I loved that Jackie was a "life coach". Remember when she was studying to be a massage therapist? I wonder if Lanford is not ready for her "life coaching". And I imagine they couldn't cram EVERY SINGLE THING into the first episode, so we may be getting updates on Andy (and I'm hoping Fred pops in at some point). As for Nancy, meh. She was never my favorite - but I'm looking forward to Crystal and Ann Marie (didn't know that Ann Marie's husband Chuck went to Medical School and ended up at Seattle Grace.......:D)

I loved that I recognized Darlene's teacher right away (and so many of you did as well). 

But one of my favorite things that I had to watch again and again was the beginning, when they were circling the table while the music played. DJ's daughter was trying to get an egg roll and Granny Rose licked it so the kid wouldn't take it from her. Perfect vintage Roseanne!!

• Love 6
On 3/29/2018 at 1:19 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

I saw Roseanne say that on the View.  but she didn't mention Elgin, I believe she said they went to Lanford.  It was weird.  Or I may have misheard.

No, I think you're right. I saw her talk on the View but I found out about Elgin from The Hollywood Reporter article last month.

1 minute ago, JakeyJokes said:

No, I think you're right. I saw her talk on the View but I found out about Elgin from The Hollywood Reporter article last month.

OMG - someone on the interwebs saying I'm right!  thank you!  :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Perkie said:

I absolutely loved Becky storming up the stairs only to turn around, come back down with the "I don't live here anymore " line, then head out through the kitchen.  

This made me laugh too! BUT, if my adult daughter, who no longer lives with me, came into my house and started tossing things in a box that could “offend” a guest that I didn’t invite over, I’d have a problem with that.

I think Lanford was just supposed to be a city near enough to Chicago to be able to get there on occasion or dream about escaping to, but far enough away to not be a suburb. Yes, there are cities it was modeled after, but were not supposed to know exactly where it is. Like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls. The American Housewife is getting flak for being set in a real town in Connecticut.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

This made me laugh too! BUT, if my adult daughter, who no longer lives with me, came into my house and started tossing things in a box that could “offend” a guest that I didn’t invite over, I’d have a problem with that.

I think Lanford was just supposed to be a city near enough to Chicago to be able to get there on occasion or dream about escaping to, but far enough away to not be a suburb. Yes, there are cities it was modeled after, but were not supposed to know exactly where it is. Like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls. The American Housewife is getting flak for being set in a real town in Connecticut.

When Darlene was at art school Chicago being two hours away was thrown about a lot.

• Love 1

I always thought that fictional Lanford being a “two hour drive from Chicago,” but close enough to Rockford, which was a 75 dollar cab ride away (as referenced in the episode where Molly ditches Darlene to party’s with Ponyboy and the rest of the Outsiders after the Daisy Chainsaw concert), means that It was probably north west of Chicago and west of Rockford, which is on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. So, northern Illinois, close to Wisconsin and Iowa?

• Love 3
On 3/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, hnygrl said:

After a re-watch, something jarring occurred to me. Mark, Jr.?

Looks NOTHING like David, while Harris looks like both of them, down to the curly hair and attitude. Oh, Mark has David's artistic sensitivity, but he looks absolutely nothing LIKE him. On any level. At all. 

Now, it could just be another "really, your oldest kid is BLONDE?" Thing, but what if?

What if the reason for the Divorce was Darlene's (unable to be hidden because...damn...) indiscretion?

Just thinking out loud....even on re-watch I was captivated and sad when it was over.

SO GOOD!

I really, really hope not. The kid is named after David's brother... That would be worse than any other wretched treatment of David by Darlene that we've ever seen!

• Love 1

I don't know about lil Mark but I *can* explain why Harris is so tall even tho David and Darlene are short.

Dan is tall, and having recently rewatched an older episode - David's mom is VERY tall. So, genetically there were some tall genes in the mix.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

(didn't know that Ann Marie's husband Chuck went to Medical School and ended up at Seattle Grace.......:D)

Lol yes! While somehow simultaneously putting in a full career’s worth of time as a Deputy Director with the FBI. He’s been a busy man! :) 

....when I heard that he was going to show up on The X-Files reboot AND the Roseanne revival, I was so happy that I was going to get to see him reprise his character in TWO old shows that I loved, not just one. 

Bring on Chuck and Anne Marie! They were always my favorite characters outside of Jackie, Nana Mary and the main family. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I don't know about lil Mark but I *can* explain why Harris is so tall even tho David and Darlene are short.

Dan is tall, and having recently rewatched an older episode - David's mom is VERY tall. So, genetically there were some tall genes in the mix.

I've seen a lot of kids who are taller than both of their parents. Harris just tapped into the recessive tall genes of David and Darlene.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2018 at 6:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. There was a line from Roseanne to Becky about how life was more difficult or something after Mark died. But I don't recall any mention of David.

Sorry if this has been addressed already, I haven't read through all these posts yet! I don't think Roseanne mentioned Mark by name when she was talking to Becky. She said, "I know life's been more difficult after your husband died." That caught my attention & I'm still wondering how Mark (the original, not Darlene's son) & David will fit into the reboot. I know the actor that played Mark (Glenn Quinn, I think?) passed away years ago, so my guess would be that we're going with Becky was still married to Mark & the character passed away as well. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Aunt Jackie is tall, too.

Plus Dan (well, John Goodman) is 6'2"(according to Wikipedia).

I have a friend who is 5 feet tall, and her husband is maybe 5'7". Their older son has long been taller than her, and will almost certainly be taller than his dad, if he isn't already (I last saw him about a year and a half ago, and he was about my height (maybe slightly taller) at 13 years old; I'm 5'4" - right in the middle of my parents at 5' and 5'8"ish). Too soon to tell with their younger son. I have another friend who is 6 feet, and her husband is 6'3"; I'm curious to see how their kids will turn out (they're only 6 and 9 now and about average height for their ages, so hard to say). Genetics is fun. :)

I'm taller than both my mom and my sister. My dad was the only one who was taller than me :p. I apparently inherited my height from my dad's side of the family-the women there tended to be on the taller side. The women on my mom's side were much shorter.