Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I'm taller than both my mom and my sister. My dad was the only one who was taller than me :p. I apparently inherited my height from my dad's side of the family-the women there tended to be on the taller side. The women on my mom's side were much shorter. 

I have female cousins on my mom's side who are on the tall side. One of them married a guy who's at least 6'3". Their daughters are both around 5'10" and their son is 6'4". I'm squarely average height for a woman and I feel very short when I'm around them. Then I go stand next to my 5-foot mom and feel tall. :)

Bring on Chuck and Anne Marie! They were always my favorite characters outside of Jackie, Nana Mary and the main family. 

I loved Chuck and Anne Marie as well. But I also loved Crystal (yes, I know a lot of you didn't like her, but she was a great foil to Roseanne over the years) and Bonnie, even though her husband robbed a convenience store when he wasn't playing guitar in the bowling alley. I just loved the connection of knowing people for years and years. Whenever I get together with my best friend who lives in a different state, we rehash what's happened to everybody we jointly know, who has gotten a divorce, who has grandkids, whose husband ran off, whose kids moved away, etc. 

• Love 7

I'm shocked (and delighted) that David will be on a future episode.   The other BBT actors aren't regulars so it makes sense but how/why would CBS grant an ABC show access to JG?  

I thought they covered a lot in the first 2 episodes.   Darlene's adult voice has always bugged me.  It was deeper when she was younger and it always sounds nasally and helium-y ( a little bit).  I always assumed she had some kind of nose surgery that affected her voice.   Agree that Becky's voice was low and glottal and distracting.  I haven't noticed this as a phenomenon IRL people.  I wonder if it's surgery or medications related to hormones from injury or some event that would be such a drastic change.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, Dee said:

That would get in the way of their Saint Darlene story.

Shout-out to my fellow non-fan of Darlene! I hated when they started having Darlene insult Becky's intelligence -- they even did it in the s10 reboot/premiere ("IQ of 23"). Come on! Becky is naturally intelligent and was a studious, diligent teen. Darlene's smart, too, but in a different way...and *not* a way where she's in a position to demean Becky on that front (unless it's more of a common sense vs. book-smart kind of dig). It really grates, and smacks of lazy writing.

I also am unhappy seeing people call Becky selfish for eloping with Mark. I always read that as a direct reaction to finding out she had no money to go to college. Kids can be naive about money, even if sometimes the lights in the house go out due to non-payment. And as a would-be first-gen college attendee, I seriously doubt Becky had an idea of how to go about applying for financial aid. I feel like the system improved vastly since the early '90s in helping navigate students through the financial aid process.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, nikita said:

Shout-out to my fellow non-fan of Darlene! I hated when they started having Darlene insult Becky's intelligence -- they even did it in the s10 reboot/premiere ("IQ of 23"). Come on! Becky is naturally intelligent and was a studious, diligent teen. Darlene's smart, too, but in a different way...and *not* a way where she's in a position to demean Becky on that front (unless it's more of a common sense vs. book-smart kind of dig). It really grates, and smacks of lazy writing.

It has always bothered me that Becky was the strarght A student when Lecy Goranson played her, but once she was replaced for the taller, more modelesque Sarah Chalke, they went the "pretty, dumb blond" Becky.  Just yesterday, one of the reruns on Logo was the Joan Collins episode, and Darlene was FLUNKING OUT of high school. Darlene also changed with the Becky switch. She went from the rotten student who got D's in history, tried to change her report card grades, and had to have Becky write her report for her (and who dumbed down her own writing so that Darlene got a B and not make it so obvious that they cheated), to the "smarter one."  Jackie AND both girls changed personalities as the show progressed.  

• Love 8

Overall, I liked the reboot more than I expected, especially since I was only a modest fan the first time around.

Same here.  I'm a little lost on some of the characters and their storylines, but I wanted to tune in and see what all of the hype was about!  I'll put this on the menu to record from here on out.  If for nothing else, I was pleased to see a family still eating together at the dinner table!  I think that's an important thing for a family to do.  YMMV. 

• Love 4
On 3/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I loved Chuck and Anne Marie as well. But I also loved Crystal (yes, I know a lot of you didn't like her, but she was a great foil to Roseanne over the years) and Bonnie, even though her husband robbed a convenience store when he wasn't playing guitar in the bowling alley. I just loved the connection of knowing people for years and years. Whenever I get together with my best friend who lives in a different state, we rehash what's happened to everybody we jointly know, who has gotten a divorce, who has grandkids, whose husband ran off, whose kids moved away, etc. 

I loved Chuck, AnneMarie and Bonnie! I didn't mind Crystal in the early years, but she became a nagging shrew after she married Ed. 

• Love 3
On 3/28/2018 at 10:13 AM, BitterApple said:

Regarding Becky, I agree with the poster up thread who said it's kind of crazy that in 20 years she hasn't managed to do something with her life. It's not like she was tied down with five kids and going to college or trade school would've been all but impossible. I wonder if Darlene alluding to Becky being a drunk is going to reveal a substance abuse problem in later episodes.

I thought it was odd that when Andrea mentioned something about Becky NOT having any drugs/anesthesia during labor because it's bad for the mother's health afterwards, Becky said something along the lines of "I'll take all the drugs needed, I don't care about my health (or recovery time) after the labor." Perhaps she's had a substance abuse problem over the past 20 years, that would explain her doing nothing with her life and her enthusiasm for the pain killers.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, chickenella said:

Becky said something along the lines of "I'll take all the drugs needed, I don't care about my health (or recovery time) after the labor." Perhaps she's had a substance abuse problem over the past 20 years, that would explain her doing nothing with her life and her enthusiasm for the pain killers.

Darlene also made a crack about her looking young because she's pickled in Mike's Hard Lemonade.

• Love 2

I didn't watch the whole episode, I only saw bits of it. But from what I saw, it really did feel just like the old show and I liked that they did a nod to both Beckys with the surrogate thing. I was highly amused. It's also crazy that Laurie Metcalf has demonstrated what an accomplished actress she is but still fell back into that character perfectly. I didn't think it went hard one way or the other on politics but either way, I'm not that motivated to watch because it does seem so much like the old show and I'm just not that into sitcoms anymore. I don't really watch reruns as much as I used to (except the occasional Law & Order).