Type keyword(s) to search

Meghan McCain: "Both Sides" Wannabe Tough Chick

Jaded
Message added by helenamonster

You may only post about political topics as they relate to the current discussion on the show. Items from hosts' social media, speculation about their opinion on current political events, etc. are not allowed and will result in disciplinary measures.

• Start Topic

I am the crier in my family. I'm the most emotional, which makes me Not-Angry Meghan, I guess. People are different, and Meghan is definitely one to wear every single one of her emotions on her sleeve. I don't like her, I especially don't like her on The View, but she's in a lot of pain and my heart hurts for her. It doesn't maker her a saint, but I think her emotions are genuine, just as they were when Joe Biden came on The View and practically gave her a grief counseling session right on air.

It would be nice if having this kind of pain, and empathy and sympathy from others, made her a better, more understanding person.

I doubt it will.

But I still feel for her during this time. We all, if we're lucky, have people who are our anchors, our supporters, our no-doubt-about-it backup person. Mine was my mom, and losing her was the worst thing I've ever gone though. I imagine John was that person for Meghan.

• Love 24

For this kind of pain, empathy and sympathy from others to make Meghan a better, more understanding person, someone will need to spell it out for her on a blue card.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 17

I don't like Meghan McCain.  I almost stopped watching The View because of her.  She has no real understanding of her role on the show, which is to give Meghan McCain's view, not that of people in red states, not that of all conservatives, not that of Trump voters, her own point of view.  She is not empathetic or kind to others on the show, and she does not treat people well.  All that said, I find myself feeling very bad for her these last two days.  She is a Daddy's girl, who just lost her Daddy, and her life will never be the same.  Even though she knew this was coming, it is a terrible blow for her to lose him from her life, and she is not taking it well.  She has sobbed throughout, and as someone who cries easily, and can't stop on a dime once i start, I feel for her, going through this in a public way.  Her brothers and her husband have been there for her, but her dad was her rock, and he'll never be that again.  I never thought I would be moved to tears watching this woman, but I have been.  I doubt if this will change her behavior on The View, and I doubt that I will ever like her, but that doesn't stop me from feeling sympathy for her at this time.

• Love 22
20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

His oldest children are his first wife's whom he adopted.  His youngest child is adopted.

Meghan's Siblings

John is the legal father of seven children. He adopted his first wife Carol's sons, Douglas and Andrew, from her first marriage. John and Carol then had a biological daughter, Sidney, in 1966. The kids from the first marriage are obviously a good deal older than Meghan. He and Cindy had Meghan in 1984, and I think her biological brothers Jack and Jim were born in '86 and 88. John and Cindy later adopted a daughter, Bridget, from Bangladesh. So in all, Meghan has six siblings.

- - -

Anyhow, I feel terrible for Meghan. I can't stand her as a co-host on The View. I hate how she styles herself as a political analyst or commentator on the show, but is really just a spinner. I don't know the woman, so maybe her professional side would be the only side I dislike or maybe I wouldn't be able to stand the whole package. I can't say.

I just keep thinking about my own father's death and how exhausting the days surrounding his death up through his funeral were. Since Meghan's Dad is a national figure, this family has to go through twice what I did (in terms of services and the like) and travel as well. I'm grateful no one was filming me at my Dad's wake and funeral. I just wish the whole family peace. What an awful time for them. I trust they got to say their goodbyes. 

So despite my distaste for her on this show, my heart goes out to Meghan. She clearly adores her father. Cancer is a bitch and this cancer is one of the alpha bitches.

I didn't watch any of the coverage yesterday, because I just couldn't. Someone I love is also dying (not of glioblastoma) and I just couldn't. I did see footage of her leaving the memorial service today and she appeared so medicated that I was afraid for her. She seemed a little bit steadier greeting the casket tonight at Joint Base Andrews. 

I remember seeing a headline a while back in which Meghan said she almost overdosed on Xanax during the 2008 election. I didn't read the article at the time, so I Googled it.

It turns out it was in a Page Six report on Miss I-Don't-Talk-About-Sex's Playboy interview, and seems to have been offered more as an off-the-cuff statement than some serious confession: https://pagesix.com/2012/03/16/meghan-mccain-to-playboy-i-love-sex/

“The day before Election Day, I almost overdosed on Xanax. I had gained a lot of weight. I went up four sizes thanks to Starbucks and Snickers,” she said. “Obamamania was at its height. I ended up going to Sedona with my girlfriends. All we did was play Rock Band for days and days and eat and sleep and hang out in bed watching TV.”

Page Six also quotes her as saying she's "Strictly dickly," and has quite the cleavage-shot of her, too. It made me laugh, because now she styles herself as such a prude on the show. I suspect that must be for the benefit of her husband and in-laws. 

This is kind of a weird combination of empathy and eyebrow raising, but I'm tired, so here we are. 

• Love 7

Meghan has said on The View she is called "John McCain in a dress." I simply can't believe that.

Nor do I think she is strong. She seems, to me, very emotional. Especially on the show. Will never back down - ever. And practically bursts into tears on the show when she does not win her argument.

IMO she choose the wrong platform trying to teach us, yes, teach us, about how middle America thinks. Like there are not R's in the South and coasts?  Her "opinions" come from blue cards and retweets of other opinions.

And she missed the values the one not in a dress lived and his strength.

I feel badly for her in her loss but hope she can mature from this. 

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I couldn't help but notice the way Meggie "brushed by" her (adopted) sister after the funeral (kinda like the way the President did to the dignitary of a small country at the U.N.)  Just sayin'.

Meghan's hard held belief that she is an only child is being challenged!  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Who called that?  She’s not.

I think she was talking about ideals and beliefs, not physicalities.  But i could be wrong, wont be the last time it happens hah

• Love 1
23 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I am no fan of Meghan but I am sorry for her loss.  I hope Meghan takes some time with her family before returning to work.  Between the stress of her dad's illness and death and a week of pubic and private memorials and his burial, she is emotionally overwhelmed.  WHen I helped to care for my dying grandmother, I did feel the stress and grief and I just kept going.  There was no time or energy to process all of those feelings.  It was not until she had died and her memorial service was over that it all hit me.  My grandmother was gone and I had no one to look after and friends and family had returned to their normal lives and the pain of the loss of the  of the  grandmother who raised me hit me like a ton of bricks.  Meghan needs to take time to be with her family so she has a safe place to deal with her grief. 

Yep i agree.  No way will she be ready, and shame on TPTB if she does show up and they put her on air. They should turn her around and call a cab. Maybe by week 2, do a simple remote in for a few minutes and let people know how the family is doing.  Thats it.  One thing she is going to have to resolve in herself is hearing the accolades of her dad, and yes there are many, but to not break down every day.  Shes going to hear it from every guest etc.  It will take time for her to get to a place where she can say thanks, or agree, or whatever without tearing up

• Love 8

The topic of this thread is Meghan McCain. The topic is not, "The John McCain Funeral" and "Who Was Invited/Not Invited to John McCain's Funeral." Please also keep the personal politics out of the thread (as usual). Warnings will be issued if the thread derails again into topics that are not Meghan McCain-centric.

If you would like to discuss the services for John McCain (outside anything to do with Meghan) please do so in the Small Talk thread. Please keep in mind that the same rule applies in the Small Talk thread as it does everywhere else on the site: No personal politics.

I am not looking forward to MM playing the dead father card every time a co-host asks her a question that can’t be answered from looking at her cards. That will be her go-to response for everything when she feels like she’s losing ground in a discussion. 

• Love 18

I'm rather enjoying the world's discovery about Meghan's alleged "side-eye." We, of course, have become well familiar with it over the past eleven months, seeing as she regularly gives it to Joy, to Ana, and to many guests.

Given her screeching and non-stop filibustering, and general tantrum-throwing over the past year on The View, I think the world is getting off easy. ;-)

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Tosia said:

MM said her mother called her that.  As if. 

I still maintain it’s because of her body shape. She LOOKS like John McCain in a dress. Something her mom said in an exasperated tone when she was high. [yes, I am making it up, but it’s the only thing that makes sense ?]

• Love 1

Oh My!  Meghan drives me crazy on "The View", but I am weeping at her powerful eulogy for her Father!  Wow...her dig at "The Donald" and her powerful words about her Father.  She was her Daddy's girl & her love was overwhelming!  Even my husband was crying...RIP John McCain 

• Love 21

If anybody thought Meghan is a Trump supporter on The View think again. Not after what she intimated today. She is a Republican first and only gives the office respect not the current person in that office. She gave a tremendous tribute to her father and the daddy's girl obviously will miss him very much. No matter her politics that is the most important thing. If she is back on the show this Tuesday kudos to her after the emotional days she is going through now.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 10

After today's wonderful eulogy, I hope we see a more dignified and mature Meghan on the show. She earned her stripes today.

I cannot bear her trying to explain Trump voters to the viewers after the magnificent shade she threw his way today.

So she has officially cut ties with the Trumpsters with that eulogy, and yet she called Ana (a conservative Republican who loathes Trump) a RINO. She better pick a side, fast. She's going to find herself a "man without a country" if she tries to speak as a proxy for the current Republican party or its voters.

Brava, Meghan, I was so proud of you today.

4 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Megan was awesome and she threw some fabulous shade. 

I have to say her makeup is flawless and her skin is so porcelain and blemish free. How does she keep it looking so good in the Arizona sun. 

My brother, an Arizonan, is always appalled when he goes to Florida and see people tanning. He says in Arizona they slather on the sunscreen and wear ridiculously large hats. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

After today's wonderful eulogy, I hope we see a more dignified and mature Meghan on the show. She earned her stripes today.

I cannot bear her trying to explain Trump voters to the viewers after the magnificent shade she threw his way today.

So she has officially cut ties with the Trumpsters with that eulogy, and yet she called Ana (a conservative Republican who loathes Trump) a RINO. She better pick a side, fast. She's going to find herself a "man without a country" if she tries to speak as a proxy for the current Republican party or its voters.

Brava, Meghan, I was so proud of you today.

My brother, an Arizonan, is always appalled when he goes to Florida and see people tanning. He says in Arizona they slather on the sunscreen and wear ridiculously large hats. 

Okay, thank you for that explanation. It is why she has such beautiful skin.

I also noticed how loving and supportive Megan was with her baby sister Bridget.. 

• Love 4

I thought her words were good, but she delivered it with such anger, even the parts about her personal relationship with him.  It reminded me of the unexpected anger we have seen her display on the View.  I wonder if the whole flag thing last week, and probably other bts slights, had an impact on her and made her more angry.  

• Love 17
31 minutes ago, bannana said:

I thought her words were good, but she delivered it with such anger, even the parts about her personal relationship with him.  It reminded me of the unexpected anger we have seen her display on the View.  I wonder if the whole flag thing last week, and probably other bts slights, had an impact on her and made her more angry.  

She’s also getting a lot of negative attention from “conservatives” (I use that term in quotes because they are more “Trumpian” than “John McCain” conservative and unlike Fox News, I’d rather not treat the words “liberal” and “conservative” as scary words).  The person who threatened her on Twitter, was posting from a MAGA account.  Shes’s also getting pushback from verified “conservative” voices on Twitter.  Now that she is becoming a target on social media, in addition to the flag drama, I also wonder if her attitude toward Trump/people who still approve of Trump will change.  

I imagine she’ll still have her disdain toward “liberals,” but after this can she still keep explaining the MAGA phenomenon?  Maybe she can explain it, but can she still keep asking the audience to try to empathize with this sort of normalized indecency?  I still feel she was partly playing a role on The View, as her behavior this year was drastically different than the pre-Fox News Meghan, so if she is playing this role, is it one she can keep playing?  

Anyway, I thought she did a good job today and I respect the McCain family for using a difficult moment like this to demonstrate to the country what decency looks like again.  

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Me too.  As much shade as she threw at Trump today time will tell if her feelings will hold or if she go back to defending his policies.  And she better be prepared for all those Trump voters she so vehemently defends turning their ire towards her.

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Another daughter has reason to be embarrassed!!!

Dear God, I know who you’re talking about but I’m gonna keep my mouth shut. So embarrassing. How much self-awareness must one LACK to attend the funeral of the person... ya know what, I’m gonna shut up now.

Not gonna lie - Meghan and the other speakers threw enough shade to last a lifetime and I’m glad that the “other daughter” heard it.

Idk what Meghan will be like on the show now that her dad has passed on. I said I would no longer watch but her euglogy today has slightly piqued my curiosity.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 23

Meghan gave a heartfelt, extremely moving eulogy. Her emotions were so raw and her anger palpable.  I teared up several times... however...

41 minutes ago, TheView said:

My problems with Meghan are gone now. 

I'll give her a week before she's back to her old self, condescendingly megsplaining Trump and The Base to the panel and viewers, sipping water and rolling her eyes in frustration because the others aren't buying her BS.

• Love 19

Surely the Trump children looked at their own father, even  just for a moment and saw the vast difference, just in that moment.  How could they not. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 18
32 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meghan gave a heartfelt, extremely moving eulogy. Her emotions were so raw and her anger palpable.  I teared up several times... however...

I'll give her a week before she's back to her old self, condescendingly megsplaining Trump and The Base to the panel and viewers, sipping water and rolling her eyes in frustration because the others aren't buying her BS.

It will be very interesting to see her outlook / manner since she's really being slammed by his base.  I said I wouldn't tune in because of the addition of another Fox former employee. What to do. 

• Love 6

I think today showed who Meghan really is and where she really stands. I am sick of her defending "Trump Supporters" she's defending the indefensible on The View. At the same like most of you guys are saying they hired Abby Huntsman because producers of The View want a fight. Meghan defends Trump Supporters to keep her job at The View because I feel she thinks if she doesn't fight like Elisabeth she will lose her job like the other Conservatives.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Me too.  As much shade as she threw at Trump today time will tell if her feelings will hold or if she go back to defending his policies.  And she better be prepared for all those Trump voters she so vehemently defends turning their ire towards her.

Meh-gun loves having her cake and eating it, too. She has "harsh words" for Trump when all eyes are on her, but she'll be back to defending his every utterance on The View within a week. All people can change, but I'd lay down money that she will not. She's hollow and two-faced to the core, and I have no respect for her at all.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

It will be very interesting to see her outlook / manner since she's really being slammed by his base.  I said I wouldn't tune in because of the addition of another Fox former employee. What to do. 

Oh, come on - give it a try.  I said I wold give it a week (if I can stand it that long).  However, MM is not going to suddenly develop empathy, intelligence & a sense of humor, so I don't have high hopes.

3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She has difficulty when people disagree with her.

• Love 9

I am so awed by Meghan simultaneously falling apart and going full steam ahead during her eulogy for her father. I am a crier, like she is, but I could not have done what she did. I wrote my mom's eulogy, but my stepbrother read it during the service. There was no way I could have muscled through it. I admire Meghan for being able to do that.

Did anyone else notice that near the end, she reached up to stroke her hair, as she does so often on the show? I've suspected, and now I'm convinced, it's a self-soothing mechanism for her. Since her hair was pulled back (good thinking!), she played with her earring for a moment instead.

In his farewell essay, Sen. McCain decried political tribalism. I so hope that's a word that has been stricken from Meghan's View vocabulary.

• Love 10