Type keyword(s) to search

Meghan McCain: "Both Sides" Wannabe Tough Chick

Jaded
Message added by helenamonster

You may only post about political topics as they relate to the current discussion on the show. Items from hosts' social media, speculation about their opinion on current political events, etc. are not allowed and will result in disciplinary measures.

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

There is SO much to do after a death of a "regular person." Deciding what to donate, who gets what of their belongings, propping each other up emotionally, dealing with their estate .... it's exhausting and highly emotional. I can't imagine what it must be like to have the loose ends involved in the life of a lifelong public figure to deal with.

Every family grieves differently. Meghan may very well be at the table next Tuesday.

But the family isn't "done" after the funeral. There is a lot to take care of both emotionally and practically.

I see your point.  BUT - when you know someone is dying, a lot of that is handled ahead of time.  The family might not be "done"  after the funeral, but people return to work.  And, most of the time, the surviving spouse is the one handling details.  

• Love 10

My condolences to MM.  That being said, anecdotally, most people I know take at least two weeks off work after losing a parent.  I sincerely hope she does the same (for my viewing pleasure).

• Love 10

Guys, you've been really good about keeping on topic in this thread in the past few days. Let's keep it up and remember Cindy McCain is off topic in this thread as well as any extraneous politics. 

2 hours ago, jalady said:

My condolences to MM.  That being said, anecdotally, most people I know take at least two weeks off work after losing a parent.  I sincerely hope she does the same (for my viewing pleasure).

I do feel sorry for Cindy, Meghan, and all of John's children and grandchildren.  My dad died from the same cancer as John McCain so I had done a lot of grieving driving back and forth between TN and GA during the months between diagnosis and his death.  I had a call on a Friday morning from my mom that I needed to head home.  I was with my dad when he died on Saturday. We had his funeral on Wednesday and I drove back to GA on Thursday and back to work on Friday because I was out of vacation and my employer was not willing to give me any more time off. Their attitude was that I had used my time off when he was living and I was trying to spend time with him.  I don't think Meghan will be back at work on Tuesday when the show returns, but she probably won't want to wait too long because there is a lot of good will towards her right now because of the death of her dad. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, backformore said:

Grieving often begins before the actual death, and don't most people return to work after a death in the family?   My experience is that people take a week off, possibly two. 

I know workplace culture has changed since I was a worker-bee, but anywhere I worked, we had to be back after the allowed THREE DAYS of bereavement.   In my past experience, "most people" didn't have the level of flexibility that The View seems to offer its co-hosts.  I'd bet they'd have no problem with MMM taking a few extra days after Sunday's burial to travel back to NYC and re-group.  On the flip side, for example, my ex-boss, upon hearing someone was calling because of a parent's death, was famous for saying "Well, that explains why Mom/Dad won't be here, but what's Jr.'s excuse?" 

Anyway, she'll be there when she's there, regardless of what we may speculate.  I'd just prefer that she's not back until fully ready - no matter how short or long that might be - because I really don't wish to see her break down on stage when the topic is discussed.

• Love 13

Watching the services, and Meghan is broken.  Of all the family, she is the one who is sobbing and almost inconsolable.  I hope she takes whatever time she needs.

• Love 19
47 minutes ago, califred said:

After watching this I agree I don’t see her being in a good mental place to return anytime soon.  

And she is supposed to speak at service on Sunday, not sure that she can do that (I know I couldn't).

• Love 15
22 hours ago, backformore said:

I see your point.  BUT - when you know someone is dying, a lot of that is handled ahead of time.  The family might not be "done"  after the funeral, but people return to work.  And, most of the time, the surviving spouse is the one handling details.  

We also have to take into account the flexibility an employer provides to a grieving employee. No matter how inevitable the situation is and how much time you have to prepare in advance of the moment, there's no rule book that you can follow that ensures you can heal in x amount of time. Most people return to work relatively quickly after the death of the loved one because they can't afford to miss much time from work either because of the nature of their work or they do not have  paid leave available to them to stay home longer. I would wager that ABC will be accommodating to her, especially since they were quite accommodating to allowing her days off so that she can get an early start flying out to Arizona for many weekends to spend time with her dad. They also were flexible with her taking leave to be by her father's side during rough times during his treatment. I suspect that she will have a longer grace period of leave should she feel she needs it...and it's only her that can really say how well she feels to return.

• Love 6

Oh man, seeing how upset she was at the service, my heart literally breaks for her.  Know why, I've been there. It's a heartbreak that you never get over, a hole in your heart that doesn't mend, it's not suppose to. This is so sad. 

• Love 19

We all know that Meghan has no chill at all: what is on her mind and in her heart come bursting out, regardless of whether or not they should. I knew she would be grieving visibly at the funeral, and of course I cried seeing her cry. There are some photos of the family here on Yahoo, including Meghan very distraught.

I was also struck by how much her brothers who are in the military look like her father did at that age.

A funeral is a socially acceptable place to be emotional, and my feeling is that she's not like this 24/7. But I would be surprised to see her show up at the table on Tuesday. I'd give it a 40/60 of happening.

• Love 15

I hope Meghan takes the first week off from The View - the other cohosts can talk about McCain, funeral, half staff flag fiasco, etc. because it's news worthy but she does NOT need to be there for that, it's classier if she is not. I do not want to see her get emotional and cry on camera.  

(Am in Arizona and have watched a lot of local news coverage about McCain.  Makes me very teary eyed (but I tear up easily).  Some of TV retrospectives and the people who knew him really have interesting stories about him that gives you insight into the man.  Would love to have Meghan talk about him and his politics  in the future when it is relevant to discussions they are having and in a calm manner. )

• Love 9

Man, watching the family at the service was tough. Meghan cried throughout the entire service. There were moments she found calm but it seemed fleeting as she quickly begin sobbing again and it was tough to watch and of course I was in a pool of tears by the end of it. There's no amount of time that can prepare you for the moment you lose someone you love. Also, the one son that was sitting in uniform next Meghan...he is a ringer for his dad when he was younger. There's parts of the man he is that lives in all of them and with time, they'll be able speak about him with a smile instead of tears. I don't think that day will be September 4th though. After seeing her today, there's no way I think she'll be mentally ready to leave her support system to go back to NYC and back on TV. 

• Love 16

I do empathize with Meghan. She is having a very hard time of it and should be able to take all the time she needs. Her mother is holding up well while in front of the cameras, but is suffering too.

On another note, after seeing Meghan’s sister Bridget, I think I know why Meghan doesn’t believe she is overweight. Bridget is probably her standard of measurement. Not that I’m ragging on anyone’s weight, we all have different physical  attributes. Meghan just gets called out on it because she’s in the media.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Does anybody know if John's ex wife and their three children were at the funeral?

Meghan's step siblings were 3 of the 7 McCain children there.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

I've criticized Meghan's views quite a bit on this forum. But my heart went out to her today. It was very upsetting watching her and clear that she was in so much pain. My thoughts are with the entire McCain family.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, AdeleDazeem said:

No sympathy from me for MM. That woman's never shown one iota of empathy. If it didn't happen to her and affect her, it didn't happen, doesn't count and zero fucks given by her. She's a narcissist.

This is where I’m at. If she had shown any empathy for anyone else other than herself and hadn’t acted as if she were the first and only person to have a loved one suffering/dying from cancer, and her pain needed to be out there for all to see and everyone shouldn’t be mean to her because of that, then I would feel some sympathy. Maybe. 

• Love 19

There are services every day for Sen. McCain through Sunday, when he will be buried after a private funeral at Annapolis. I cannot imagine how Meghan will hold up. My feeling is that she will have regained some composure, but ... who knows? I do know her grief today was heartbreaking to see. She may be at The View on Tuesday just to escape the endless tributes and mourning and get back to normal life.

• Love 3
On 8/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Let's keep it up and remember Cindy McCain is off topic in this thread as well as any extraneous politics. 

I thought I wouldn't have to mention this, but I guess I will: Also off topic? Any other wife of John McCain.

I think Meghan is going to be an emotional mess regardless of when she returns or how much time she takes off.  I've always felt bad for families who have multiple funeral services to attend.  I remember either Gerald Ford or Ronald Reagan's family flying all over the country attending funeral services.  As an orphan, I know one service is hard enough to have to get through.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

No sympathy from me for MM. That woman's never shown one iota of empathy. If it didn't happen to her and affect her, it didn't happen, doesn't count and zero fucks given by her. She's a narcissist.

Wow. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

For real. She is an entitled, insincere, spiteful opportunist who wuz robbed of being First Daughter. Her personality on the show reveals her to be someone who is accustomed to being noticed, appreciated and praised and is insulted by/not satisfied with anything less. I don't doubt that she adored her father and I also don't doubt that she is gratified to be playing a significant role on the national stage. Finally. 

I predict that she will leverage her public grief for a long, long time. She was Daddy's princess but she's not our princess, and there's the rub. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, suomi said:

For real. She is an entitled, insincere, spiteful opportunist who wuz robbed of being First Daughter. Her personality on the show reveals her to be someone who is accustomed to being noticed, appreciated and praised and is insulted by/not satisfied with anything less. I don't doubt that she adored her father and I also don't doubt that she is gratified to be playing a significant role on the national stage. Finally. 

I predict that she will leverage her public grief for a long, long time. She was Daddy's princess but she's not our princess, and there's the rub. 

Yes. She's made her views and her loyalty to her tribe very clear on each and every show that I watched (I gave up months ago and won't be tuning in again). She made it clear that she doesn't care who suffers from her and her tribe's policies. 

I agree, absolutely, that she's "an entitled, insincere, spiteful opportunist".  No empathy, no sympathy, no charity (I'm not talking money. I mean emotional, humanity, etc.) for anyone but herself. Me, me, me.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, suomi said:

I was watching a snippet and of all the family members it was Meghan who was sobbing uncontrollably - not her mother, not the sister I saw in the clip - does her mother have better self control?  I'm sure Meghan is very sad on losing her father, but, such a public display.  I know everyone responds differently, but, yes, the role on the national stage.  

• Love 14

Though not a fan of Meghan's parents I'm at a loss to how they have daughter who presents herself as such an uncaring selfish shrew.  Except when it's something that affects her then the world is supposed to stop and cater to  her wants and needs.  She was a daddy's girl and now she is without him.  I get that.  I was that girl 20some years ago.  However her loss doesn't excuse her horrid behavior on the View.  When she returns to the table I'm going to say it's a safe bet she will be even more obnoxious.  

• Love 22

I think Meghan is very over-dramatic because she knows the cameras are rolling.  She's used to being the center of attention.  Out of the entire family why is she the only one who can't keep it together.  I rest my case.

• Love 13

Yeah. Meghan is an intolerant bitch. She is spoiled, and selfish, and has a lot to learn about people. But, I don't doubt for one second that she was genuine in her emotions at her Father's funeral. They were very close, and she obviously loved him dearly. It's not fair to compare her reactions to others. It's really kind of oogy to be analyzing her reactions at all. Her actions there have nothing to do with her on The View. I can at least empathize with the fact she lost someone very close to her, while she spent the previous year watching the strongest, bravest, most secure person in her life, melt away so quickly. It's sad. She'll be back on The View soon enough, and will give us plenty to snark on again. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

my heart broke for MM - I'll go back to despising her in the weeks to come, but right now I'm going to give her a break.  

Same here.  I don't like MM and I never will.  But I don't want to kick a person when they're down.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HoboClayton said:

Yeah. Meghan is an intolerant bitch. She is spoiled, and selfish, and has a lot to learn about people. But, I don't doubt for one second that she was genuine in her emotions at her Father's funeral. They were very close, and she obviously loved him dearly. It's not fair to compare her reactions to others. It's really kind of oogy to be analyzing her reactions at all. Her actions there have nothing to do with her on The View. I can at least empathize with the fact she lost someone very close to her, while she spent the previous year watching the strongest, bravest, most secure person in her life, melt away so quickly. It's sad. She'll be back on The View soon enough, and will give us plenty to snark on again. 

Her mom is awesome and she has a large supportive family, her dad's friends/colleagues, and a nation of mourners. It's very difficult when a parent passes. 

But......I'm still appalled at her disrespectful  behavior on the View, which makes me somehow doubt her a bit now.  Its hard to feel sorry for such a mean person. 

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Her mom is awesome and she has a large supportive family, her dad's friends/colleagues, and a nation of mourners. It's very difficult when a parent passes. 

But......I'm still appalled at her disrespectful  behavior on the View, which makes me somehow doubt her a bit now.  Its hard to feel sorry for such a mean person. 

I can understand that. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Tosia said:

The only time she ever showed any emotion other than anger on the View was when talking about her dad.  I understand her being distraught about losing him but my question is would she empathize with someone else going through heartbreak?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Same here.  I don't like MM and I never will.  But I don't want to kick a person when they're down.

I’m not kicking her; to say that I get pleasure from seeing her pain would be like admitting I’m glad Senator McCain died. It is sad he went so quickly, but all my sympathy is for his family, which includes her. But my heart is not breaking for her. I’ve shed no tears on her behalf, and I’ve already stated why up thread.

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

This is probably not a good analogy, because Meghan isn’t the one who is sick. But bad people, unlikeable people also get cancer. Do I have to sympathize with them because now they’re sick? It doesn’t erase their character.  Meghan has been a nasty piece of work since the day she showed up. Her lack of empathy for those less fortunate than she is was demonstrated loud and clear. 

39 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

The only time she ever showed any emotion other than anger on the View was when talking about her dad.  I understand her being distraught about losing him but my question is would she empathize with someone else going through heartbreak?

No. And she proved she didn’t. She somehow always turned it around so the focus would be on her; on her pain. And that she was the ONLY one going through this. 

Look, I’m Daddy’s Little Girl too. Still am. But I don’t act like I’m the only one who is.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9

I am no fan of Meghan but I am sorry for her loss.  I hope Meghan takes some time with her family before returning to work.  Between the stress of her dad's illness and death and a week of pubic and private memorials and his burial, she is emotionally overwhelmed.  WHen I helped to care for my dying grandmother, I did feel the stress and grief and I just kept going.  There was no time or energy to process all of those feelings.  It was not until she had died and her memorial service was over that it all hit me.  My grandmother was gone and I had no one to look after and friends and family had returned to their normal lives and the pain of the loss of the  of the  grandmother who raised me hit me like a ton of bricks.  Meghan needs to take time to be with her family so she has a safe place to deal with her grief. 

• Love 7

Meghan looks like a zombie today - highly medicated, I'm sure.  Tough for the family...they're not even half way through the memorial events.  Long way yet to go.

One of the passages of grief is anger.  I can honestly see Meghan striking out, at her father for dying, at her family for not grieving as openly as she, and at any of the public who dares to express negativity about her father.  She doesn't have the type of personality or the control of her emotions to hold it in.  There are destined to be outbreaks in her future.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m not kicking her; to say that I get pleasure from seeing her pain would be like admitting I’m glad Senator McCain died. It is sad he went so quickly, but all my sympathy is for his family, which includes her. But my heart is not breaking for her. I’ve shed no tears on her behalf, and I’ve already stated why up thread.

This is probably not a good analogy, because Meghan isn’t the one who is sick. But bad people, unlikeable people also get cancer. Do I have to sympathize with them because now they’re sick? It doesn’t erase their character.  Meghan has been a nasty piece of work since the day she showed up. Her lack of empathy for those less fortunate than she is was demonstrated loud and clear. 

No. And she proved she didn’t. She somehow always turned it around so the focus would be on her; on her pain. And that she was the ONLY one going through this. 

Look, I’m Daddy’s Little Girl too. Still am. But I don’t act like I’m the only one who is.

Well said. And I do agree with you: her dad dying is sad and I do feel sorry for her, but I'm not forgetting all the shit she's said.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Well, we know she wouldn't going by that time they discussed the soldier's widow who was disrespected by Trump via phone call and she decided her response would be to be hateful to the senator who called into the show about it (who knew the family personally and was present during the call). Or when she attacked the family and friends of gun victims in Florida because they raked her precious Marco Rubio over the coals. She's disgusting. She's going through an experience most all of us have or will have to go through and that's sad, but she is the same fame-moocher she was a week ago.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I was also struck by how much her brothers who are in the military look like her father did at that age.

Same here, holy crap. The one in the Navy uniform especially... it was like looking at a younger John McCain. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, piano said:

I think Meghan is very over-dramatic because she knows the cameras are rolling.  She's used to being the center of attention.  Out of the entire family why is she the only one who can't keep it together.  I rest my case.

This also stood out to me. Every one of those people who went up to the casket maintained their composure except her. Even today during the memorial at the church, if you look closely as the family walks out, Meghan once again seems to be the only one completely falling apart. Of course everyone grieves differently but it’s an interesting contrast when you look at everyone else around her holding up so well - publicly, anyway.

I’m still willing to set aside my deep disdain for Meghan and say that she isn’t taking this loss well, it’s completely understandable and I’m sorry for her and her family. I wish I could say this will turn Meghan into some humble person but I’m afraid I’d be lying through my teeth. She already basically admitted last season that she didn’t really care about the healthcare issue in this country until it happened to her. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, piano said:

26 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

This also stood out to me. Every one of those people who went up to the casket maintained their composure except her. Even today during the memorial at the church, if you look closely as the family walks out, Meghan once again seems to be the only one completely falling apart. Of course everyone grieves differently but it’s an interesting contrast when you look at everyone else around her holding up so well - publicly, anyway.

Until this Meghan was known for being angry.  On the View she doesn't get emotional or tear up about sad things.  I'm not saying her grief isn't real but this is getting her a lot of media coverage.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

On the View she doesn't get emotional or tear up about sad things.  I'm not saying her grief isn't real but this is getting her a lot of media coverage.

I don’t think people are being fair.  I don’t tear up about sad things either.  I’m just not an emotional person.  She was, apparently, very close to her father, so I’m not going to judge.  How about the benefit of the doubt?  Who knows how we would act in the same circumstance?

I don’t like her, but I’ll give her a pass on this one.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 24