Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E06: This is Why You Play Survivor

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

My favorites are falling fast this season.  Hope Ryan gets his ass blindsided by Chrissy.  Then I hope Chrissy gets that smirk wiped off her face and gets blindsided by the few remaining women in the game.  Yes, I’m bitter about this one.  This is MvsGX all over again.  What are we left with-the boring, the weak, and the arrogant?  Oh, and Desi and Lauren.

Ryan must have never seen Survivor before if he didn’t expect Ali to be upset.  What did he think she’d do, congratulate him for screwing her over?  Ali couldn’t have done anything even if he had told her.  She still would have been outnumbered, but at least would have been in the loop.  I’d like to see how Ryan reacts if Chrissy were to screw him over.  Which I hope she does.

Are we sure Cole didn’t faint from overeating?  How is he the one who face planted in the shelter?  It was somewhat humorous that he said he deserves more food because he’s stronger, and then is the one who fainted.  Seeing how late it was getting without an IC I was wondering if he was going to be med-evaced.  Maybe it’s good strategy to give Cole all their food and make themselves weaker.  At least they won’t be targeted at the merge!

Joe finding another idol is this season in a nutshell for me.  Because of course.  Hoping this season picks up at the merge, which can’t come soon enough.  I will say I’ve actually enjoyed some of the challenges this season.  Still think they could be better, but an improvement I guess.  Wonder if we’ll do one last shuffle or just merge, one tribe is down to 3.

• Love 21

Wow, big fight! Ali, it's that not much of a betrayal, well, I guess it is. Ryan is venturing into jerk-land. Ryan, you can still work with Ali. Just let her be for a day or so to get over it. She's smart and understands how this works. Don't write her off so soon.

Mike is the new Ozzie!! Now Ben has a big bandage on his right shoulder. I wonder what happened.  Oh, oh, Cole, the inner douche is coming out! He's one of those everything in the moment guys - can't look ahead to see how today's actions affect events down the road. Jessica needs to drop him ASAP, either vote him out or distance herself at the merge.

Ten pizzas is a lot for four or five people. Don't know if you can really store them for later. If they don't spoil, the rats and bugs will get them. Don't feel too sorry for Levu, they got the coffee and pastries last time. I'm beginning to see why some people here don't like Ryan. He's getting that overanalytic paranoia where he looks too far down the road and can't even enjoy a reward.

RATS, Joe found another idol!!!

Now they just had pizza. Wouldn't that have been enough food in the moment to prevent his collapse? When I saw his hand shaking I thought maybe his blood sugar surged from the pizza. It's hard to say what happened from just a couple of minutes on TV. That was an exciting immunity challenge. I was hoping Yellow would lose so they could vote Cole out. I keep thinking of those peanut butter hands and shudder.

Between J.P. and Ali, I'd rather have Ali stay. I can see the wheels starting to turn in J.P.'s head. They are rusty and creaking, but they are slowly moving. Oh rats, Ali is voted out! I thought she might be the winner. Where is Redemption Island when you need it???

• Love 9

Wow! I was actually surprised and thought it was a no brainer. I also think Chrissy just has that restless smug look all the time. It’s sort of a cocky smile and also just her smile. She’s getting a horrible edit which is a double standard. If it was a guy I don’t think I would care. Yes, I’m a hypocrite.

• Love 6

Sad to see Ali go.  Her initial tribe assignment and then the swap really screwed her. Chrissy and Ryan make me ill, but voting out JP would have been stupid.  After the merge, he is a huge meat shield and is unlikely to win every immunity.  And any time he does win, he's not going likely to vote against Crissy or her cockroach.

Joeny finding another idol was totally expected.  I hope he goes home with it in his pocket.

Big distraction with Cole sort of passing out.  The previews led me to believe he clocked his head on the bamboo. 

Never believe the previews.

Was it a strategic fake out for more food or did production put him up to it?

I'm liking the Devon/Ashley team.

• Love 8

There goes another one I liked. JP must be the ice cube of his fire unit, his quiet calm which would be an asset on the job definitely reads as poor social skills in this game especially next to a mouth runner like Ryan. Chrissy is a very good talker, she'd run over her FTC opponents if they let her get there. 

• Love 6

I'm beginning to think of them as Good Guys and Bad Guys now.

Good Guys                                                                          Bad Guys                                             Neutral

Devon                                                                                    Joe                                                         Jessica

Ashley                                                                                    Cole                                                        J.P.

Ben                                                                                         Ryan

Lauren                                                                                    Chrissy

Mike

Desi

1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

And, in the same spot. Oddly enough, Cole knew where it was too but he was looking for more food to eat. LOL!!!

Cole's idol is a jar of peanut butter.

• Love 19

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I think Cole has surpassed Joe on the annoying douche list for me.  At least Joe seems self-aware about being a human irritant; Cole inexplicably smiles like he thinks he's a cute little gremlin (feed me, feed me!)  

If you're going to almost pass out or have a minor seizure or whatever that was, at least it's good to have medical professionals a couple of feet away.

The immunity challenge started off as one of the more dull ones, and I was surprised it took so long for a team to try the method that Yawa eventually did.  But apparently I was more invested than I thought, because I expected Yawa to go to tribal.  Or maybe it was wishful thinking, because I wanted Cole voted off.  I was actually surprised that Soko lost instead.

• Love 15
33 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Wow, big fight! Ali, it's that not much of a betrayal, well, I guess it is. Ryan is venturing into jerk-land. Ryan, you can still work with Ali. Just let her be for a day or so to get over it. She's smart and understands how this works. Don't write her off so soon.

Mike is the new Ozzie!! Now Ben has a big bandage on his right shoulder. I wonder what happened.  Oh, oh, Cole, the inner douche is coming out! He's one of those everything in the moment guys - can't look ahead to see how today's actions affect events down the road. Jessica needs to drop him ASAP, either vote him out or distance herself at the merge.

Ten pizzas is a lot for four or five people. Don't know if you can really store them for later. If they don't spoil, the rats and bugs will get them. Don't feel too sorry for Levu, they got the coffee and pastries last time. I'm beginning to see why some people here don't like Ryan. He's getting that overanalytic paranoia where he looks too far down the road and can't even enjoy a reward.

RATS, Joe found another idol!!!

Now they just had pizza. Wouldn't that have been enough food in the moment to prevent his collapse? When I saw his hand shaking I thought maybe his blood sugar surged from the pizza. It's hard to say what happened from just a couple of minutes on TV. That was an exciting immunity challenge. I was hoping Yellow would lose so they could vote Cole out. I keep thinking of those peanut butter hands and shudder.

Between J.P. and Ali, I'd rather have Ali stay. I can see the wheels starting to turn in J.P.'s head. They are rusty and creaking, but they are slowly moving. Oh rats, Ali is voted out! I thought she might be the winner. Where is Redemption Island when you need it???

Didn't he faint before they won the pizza?  When Jessica made the executive decision to feed Cole extra rice, I wish someone would have chimed in and said, "sure, give him some from your share".

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Cole sort of passing out.  The previews led me to believe he clocked his head on the bamboo. 

Unless the editors had an empty coconut to hit a piece of wood, it did sound as if his head hit bamboo, but you never know with Foley artists.

I'm just looking forward to Ponderosa.

• Love 3

Well that was an interesting fakeout.. I thought JP was a goner for sure.  I'm guessing that Ryan got scared that Ali really had his number and would be quick to cut his throat come the merge.

Or else JP has more game than they are showing and worked Ryan/Chrissy.

OK I just cracked myself up.  But I would like to know why they made that decision.

• Love 8

Didn't he faint before they won the pizza?  When Jessica made the executive decision to feed Cole extra rice, I wish someone would have chimed in and said, "sure, give him some from your share".

I thought it was after the reward challenge.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 2

So I think Ali made the big blunder in telling Chrissy that Ryan was out as her #2 and she couldn't trust him anymore and that she wanted Chrissy to be her new #2. Plus Ali is not only decent at comps but she showed, in her convos with Ryan and then Chrissy, that she is a gamer too. Too much uncertainty there for them if they kept her. But JP is just a comp beast and now trusting them and indebted to them.

They may be smarmy, those two, but I like them because they are playing hard. Joe is too, gotta give it to him. Devin and Ashley are as well but instead of watching Joe to make sure he didn't find the idol, maybe they should have been looking hard for it themselves.

Cole is my very least favorite. He is disgusting in more ways than one. And Jess realizes she DOES have feelings for him. Ugghhhh, not so smart.

2 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I thought it was after the reward challenge.

It was before. He had the rice before going to play in that challenge.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 9

I wonder when there’s a merge if JP And Cole will be Bros or Enemies? JP seems to be fine without the food whereas Cole is dying. I give JP the edge in future Individual Immunities against Cole.  

• Love 3

The less focus there has been on Joe, the less annoying I've found him.

When Ryan said that people seem to like him (or was it trust him? I don't remember) and then said he was surprised because "I kind of think I'm a weasel" there was an immediate moment in our living room before SimplyMom just said, "Yeah, you are."

I wanted JP to go but was pretty sure Ali was going to. Alas, I was right. I figure Chrissy trusts JP more and didn't believe what Ali was selling about putting her trust in Chrissy, and Chrissy figures she can control JP and use him as a meatshield.

Re: Cole and the pizza. It was some time after the pizza. We don't know how long. Also, that tribe only got one pizza to split five ways. Given that Cole is a huge guy in his early twenties, I'm guessing his metabolism hasn't slowed down that much yet and that's why the lack of food is hitting him much harder than, say, Ben, who's mid-thirties.

So either Lauren's "seething hatred of young men" that I saw suggested last week is contagious, or it appears when said young men are annoying. ;)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I wonder when there’s a merge if JP And Cole will be Bros or Enemies? JP seems to be fine without the food whereas Cole is dying. I give JP the edge in future Individual Immunities against Cole.  

I have a sneaking suspicion Cole is next to go.

38 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm beginning to think of them as Good Guys and Bad Guys now.

Good Guys                                                                          Bad Guys                                             Neutral

Devon                                                                                    Joe                                                         Jessica

Ashley                                                                                    Cole                                                        J.P.

Ben                                                                                         Ryan

Lauren                                                                                    Chrissy

Mike

Desi

Cole's idol is a jar of peanut butter.

I like this read on them.

• Love 3

I need to see Cole go up against JP head to head in a mental challenge. Could be fun, but might take awhile too.

Devon, on the other hand, looks like he has a good read on things even if he did let Joe slip by him.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8
44 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

And at least Joe is playing the game, not hanging around with his mouth open waiting for someone to stick a spoonful of baby food in it.

I agree, and in that way I will say he's a bit like Tony.  Tony played 24/7 while a lot of other people were laying around, or acting like they were on Love Connection.  I dislike Joe a bit less after this episode.  

ETA:  This is neither here nor there, but could the "sponsored content" contain fewer pictures of:  injured animal about to be devoured by lions, wolf with foot caught in trap, and animal consumed by snake with it's tortured face still hanging from the gaping mouth of the snake.  Jesus.

Edited by RedheadZombie
eta
  • Love 5

Well, Ryan's "great social game" is alluding me, but his referencing a weasel when describing himself was spot on.  Joe is a  more generic villain and though it does upset me that he keeps finding idols, I trust in the Survivor process that he will be blindsided, if not soon,eventually. (Oh, but wait, i kept thinking that about his doppelgänger, Tony).  And, as everyone else has mentioned, Chrissy can just wipe that smug look  off her face.

• Love 11

So Ali is gone....I find that strange....I felt like her early edit was building her up to be a major characters and now she's gone before the merge, rendering her not even worthy of being dated.

I could never get a handle on her...she did appear to be bi-racial but what exact combination I was never sure. She was cute and I'm glad she called Ryan a twerp in her exit convessional...he really is a weasal as he admits.

Truly a cautionary tale of putting your trust in the wrong people...and she's probably right. Chrissy probably will be the winner.

So JP finally displays a flash of a personality and that is of an arrogant braggart...go figure.

I hate everything about Lauren...especially her perpetual bitch face but to be fair it  looked to me like Cole had finished his sentance.

Speaking of Cole he was trying way to hard for the camera to come up with something cute to say to Blondie Virgin on the beach. Talk about playing for the camera.

Doctors and nurses aside it seems like the fabled "Survivior Medical" should have been called in.

Why do the people I always don't want to find the idol...find the idol?

• Love 5

Cole is just a dope.   His team won second place for the reward, right?  I was hoping they should show him saying how he deserved half the pizza for himself and the rest could split the other half between them. 

Jessica is silly to say she really cares about him. 

But it's Chrissy and Ryan --- the twerp and the liar -- that I really can't stand.  I hope they go into the merge with delusions of controlling the game, and they both get snuffed, ASAP.  I do not understand why Chrissy is a hero.    Just because she took time off to raise her kids then went back to work?   Um, lots of people do that.  Myself included.  I did not feel like a hero.  I felt very lucky that I was able to do that.  Chrissy seems like that smug perfect mom, who judges all the other moms who aren't able to stay home with their kids. 

Edited by mishap
  • Love 24

Welp. So much for that winner’s edit I thought Ali was getting. But that’s okay, I like for the editors to mix it up and not always have a contestant say, “I’m definitely not getting voted off” right before they get voted off because they love #irony. 

I think Ryan is pretty delusional if he think his social game is his strongest aspect. When he was arguing with Ali after the tribal, he looked like a petulant child. I think he and Chrissy are playing the same exact game. Each thinks they have the other in their pocket and will beat them handily at the end of game. Not realizing both of their social games suck and if they get taken to the end, the 3rd person will win in a landslide. But I hope they get blindsided before then because that will be delicious.

I liked the immunity challenge. I thought it was pretty creative to turn what was previously an individual challenge into a tribe challenge. It’s amazing how they go from winning to losing in a split second.

Devon makes me think of... someone famous... and I cannot put my finger on it. The closest my brain can come up with is Aladdin and that’s just not quite right.

• Love 12

Still not caring. I kinda feel like I'd be watching Riverdale if I cared about Archie Comics in the past and had not been exposed to Smallville for ten years. Have the showrunners even read the comics?

On-topic: I will learn the names next week. I'm just so not motivated to do that beyond a precious few. Like Cole, the jackhole. And Joe, the Tony clone. Ben is the military guy. I don't know the name of the four-eyed beta male that I usually pull for out of solidarity. Seriously, I'm very ambivalent.

• Love 3

That potential Ben/Dr. Mike partnership may be one worth watching. Looked to me like they have a good relationship beyond agreeing about Cole.

Lauren is the one I'm unsure on. I can't tell how much she's fitting in and making relationships.

• Love 8

Well Ben is close to Chrissy and Ryan is with Lauren, I think he said. So I think they, and Dr Mike, will all be together. Maybe with JP and Ashley and Devin. When merge happens. 

Cole and Joe will be the targets. Probably Jess by default. I hope Desi jumps ship from Joe. Sounds like she might.

If Cole and Joe were to go before merge, we might see a similar thing to last BB where there is one big group that got out the couple they hated and then had to start turning on each other.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

Ryan is a weasel.

He even said that despite outside opinion he sees himself as a weasel and doesn't understand why people are drawn to him. What does it say about someone who would admit they are a weasel? Probably that their weaseling days are far from over and that when it comes to that they will have no remorse. Not a good look there Ryan.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

My favorites are falling fast this season.  Hope Ryan gets his ass blindsided by Chrissy.  Then I hope Chrissy gets that smirk wiped off her face and gets blindsided by the few remaining women in the game.  Are we sure Cole didn’t faint from overeating?  How is he the one who face planted in the shelter?  It was somewhat humorous that he said he deserves more food because he’s stronger, and then is the one who fainted. 

I thought he said he needed more food and thought it was a better idea to stay strong now but they vetoed him. So, he didn’t get to eat more and fainted. I’m not a Cole fan,. If I’m with him in that I know what my body needs and I listen to it if at all possible. Plus, the way Survivor is now, there’s always food around the corner (like the pizza). 

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Jessica said she was giving part of her share. 

46 minutes ago, simplyme said:

Re: Cole and the pizza. It was some time after the pizza. We don't know how long. Also, that tribe only got one pizza to split five ways. Given that Cole is a huge guy in his early twenties, I'm guessing his metabolism hasn't slowed down that much yet and that's why the lack of food is hitting him much harder than, say, Ben, who's mid-thirties.

I agree. 

I thought that it was very smart if the team to have everyone else ho,d the platform taught so the person placing the block didn’t have to. I’m surprised the other teams didn’t catch on and copy that tactic. 

Its been almost two hours since this episode ended and I can barely remember anything else that happened besides the argument in the beginning, Joe finding another idol and Ali going home. So, pretty boring episode. 

• Love 7

Ryan's face when he got angry with Ali at the beginning was frightening. It was like a Green Goblin kind of face! 

Did Ben give side-eye when they fish dropped in the fire? I thought he broke the 4th wall but would need a rewatch. 

I've been a Survivor fan since S1 but man, this crew is bland and boring. 

They should've named it Survivor: Tools vs Fools 

• Love 21

"This is a game." Yes, Ali, and that's why you got back stabbed. And what's the point of belaboring the point ad nauseum?

Cole's passing out was a nothingburger.

Ryan admits to being a weasel.  I like that.

I wonder why Chrissy and Ryan changed their minds on the vote.

• Love 4

I don't mind Cole.  I think he's young and naive and earnest and I don't think he's a bad person.  He's not a very good strategic player but he seems kind to others.  People here are disgusted by his finger licking.   Unless anyone on his tribe told him to stop doing that, his tribe mates shouldn't really complain about it.  I'd take Cole over Joe, Ryan or Chrissy any day.  Seems like a nice guy.  

I agree with him that he has more muscle and needs to fuel that muscle.  I'm not sure if that means he should get extra food, but honestly, the team has two weak overweight people who are all but useless in a challenge.  If Cole can't perform at a challenge because he is weak, the team fails.  If I were on his tribe I'd give up some portion of food to help the tribe stay strong as a whole.

Lauren is such a beeyotch.  When Cole fainted she just sat there stonefaced.  Didn't ask if he was ok, didn't even look like she cared.

When was the last time a single contestant  dominated the show so greatly?  I swear, it seemed like Ryan had 50% of the airtime?  Why?  The answer can't be that nobody else is interesting. It's irritating.  

I don't know why Ali didn't want to team with JP.  She needed a protector and a new ally and he was the only one left.  She could have told him that Ryan and Chrissy were a pair and he needed her.  She could have told him that Ryan would turn on him once a merge happened.

Based on the editing, it appears that the final three will be Ryan, Chrissy and Mike.  Some of these people, like Desi and Ashley, have barely had any airtime.   I can't stand any of those three.

Jessica/Cole reminds me of one of those Amazing Race teams where one partner is clearly having to drag along the other person as dead weight.  In this show, however, this situation is entirely Jessica's fault.  She really should try to cut Cole loose at the first opportunity and start playing entirely for herself.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Sad to see Ali go.  Her initial tribe assignment and then the swap really screwed her. Chrissy and Ryan make me ill, but voting out JP would have been stupid.  After the merge, he is a huge meat shield and is unlikely to win every immunity.  And any time he does win, he's not going likely to vote against Crissy or her cockroach.

Joeny finding another idol was totally expected.  I hope he goes home with it in his pocket.

Big distraction with Cole sort of passing out.  The previews led me to believe he clocked his head on the bamboo. 

Never believe the previews.

Was it a strategic fake out for more food or did production put him up to it?

I'm liking the Devon/Ashley team.

My thoughts exactly.  

7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Lauren is such a beeyotch.  When Cole fainted she just sat there stonefaced.  Didn't ask if he was ok, didn't even look like she cared.

I think she thought he was faking.  I did too.  It was a graceful fall as he held the bamboo pole to soften his drop.  

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

When was the last time a single contestant  dominated the show so greatly?  I swear, it seemed like Ryan had 50% of the airtime?  Why?

They love him as the narrator. Maybe he is more keenly attuned than others, but it feels like nothing happens if he doesn't weigh in on it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3