Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Girl of Steel

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Kara deals with the loss of Mon-El by focusing all her energy on being Supergirl and the mysterious new threat against National City. Alex confesses a secret to Maggie about their impending nuptials. A citizen of National City has a mysterious connection to Kara, and Lena makes a bold move.

Alex asking J'onn to give her away was a beautiful moment, but I think she and Maggie are moving way too fast. They've known each other for a year and only dated for about half that time, on top of this being Alex's first real relationship. Too fast. It's gonna crash.

Don't like Kara being, well, not Kara and giving humans attitude. Loved Alex saying Kara was her favorite person. And loved Alex being offended by them saying Kara was acting like her.

They need to write Jimmy better. Not cool using the super-watch to bug her about a deadline. Not its intent and very much crossing a line between their professional and personal relationship. And that was all he did this episode. Then they reminded me he's Guardian, which I hate. 

I like Cat Grant as Press Secretary. Fits her and gives her a way to appear without having to fly to Vancouver for all her scenes. I'm interested in the mom with sudden onset superstrength and zombie visions.

Was that Petra from Jane the Virgin in the promo? I'm almost as excited by that as I was by Ravi last season.

• Love 7

So, I'm hoping that the Arrowverse way of dealing with shit is done with Kara. She literally turned into Barry 2.0 this episode (I say more Barry because she needed multiple pep talks to stop her pity party). I'm annoyed that Mon-El is still such a huge part of Kara's life, but I guess it is what it is. 

What I will say that, without Mon-El, we got scenes with Kara and virtually every main character. She had more scenes with James this episode than I felt like she had all of last season. Ok, that's not entirely true, but her multiple scenes with James is more than we got in an episode last season, so progress! They didn't treat James like some extra they hired for the episode! 

What I also loved is that Alex/Kara scene. Alex telling Kara to stop throwing a pity party was all kinds of awesome. I loved what Alex said to her. We finally got our sister scene, the first of hopefully many.

I also loved the J'onn/Kara scene on the rooftop. I thought having her speak to a fellow alien was very important to what Kara was preaching about not being human and needing to just be Supergirl. I think it really helped with Kara realizing she needed to still be Kara, even through her pain.

It's too bad they had that stupid fucking "wake up" line from not!Mon-El, making it seem like HE broke through to her and got her to change, even when not being here. I know it was a combination of all of them, but I think it was more important that they didn't have Mon-El say those lines; they needed to have the team, and Kara's family, break through to her. I know Mon-El was Kara's love and all that crap...but she knew him for, like, nine months. I know people can become close in that time, but I hate the implication that he's the most important person to her. 

That being said, this episode got back on track to what I loved about the show. Plenty of awesome character interactions, minimal relationship drama, and that introduction to our new female character who looks like she might be a baddie? Awesome. I totally thought her daughter was going to die, so I love the twist of how she got her powers activated. 

I loved the Alex/J'onn scene at the end. I even chuckled at Alex's line about not crying in front of the other agents because it would show that they care. 

Good start to the season, besides the Mon-El hiccup. Not that I hate the character, but I hate how he's been used on the show and how that's affected Kara's relationships. That's what I needed a one episode break with no romantic drama from them. 

Hi Adrian Pasdar! I guess we'll be seeing you from time to time!

• Love 9

Oh for Fuck’s sake! How many plots from Smallville are they going to steal use? So because Mon-El had to leave, Kara is pulling a Clark from Smallville about being all unfeeling. ??? At least SVClark had a reason even if was stupid-but Mon-El didn’t DIE!

Not off to a good start for me. 

Of course I’m only one third in.

Katie’s accent was more noticeable for me.

OOOH! Adrian Pasdar!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

If this is a sign of things to come, the number of DC/CW shows I watch may go down by one more. The highlight was the Alex/J'onn scene, and as someone who still doesn't like how Mon-El became Kara's "most important person", seeing her go all dark/broody for him just makes me roll my eyes.

• Love 3

Oh for Fuck’s sake! How many plots from Smallville are they going to steal use?

Right from the start with Lois from Smallville. 

I didn't mind it, but I didn't like it.  Since Floriana is back to recurring, it's clear that the wedding is going to hit a few roadblocks and Maggie is going to say "we need a break here."  Kara being moody is a trope we've seen one time too many in the DCTV as it is, I guess it was her turn.  

Nice to see Cat being the Cat we come to expect relishing her role as a press secretary that isn't...whatever is happening in Washington.

Finally, they really missed a chance with Adrian Pasdar: when he was stuck on the crates yelling how he was going to get down, Supergirl should have retorted "Fly!" as a shoutout to Heroes.   

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh for Fuck’s sake! How many plots from Smallville are they going to steal use? So because Mon-El had to leave, Kara is pulling a Clark from Smallville about being all unfeeling. ??? At least SVClark had a reason even if was stupid-but Mon-El didn’t DIE!

While we're at it, how many plots from Arrow are they going to steal use?

1. Attack on the harbor during an unveiling of a statue.

2. Evil dude wants to blow up a section of the city for a new housing development.

3. During an attack on a large public event, person sees loved one trapped beneath scaffolding - and lifts it, discovering she has mirakuru superpowers.

4. "I can't be the Arrow Supergirl and Oliver Queen Kara Danvers."

At least Kara's attempt at Oliver Queen style brooding only lasted one episode.

Things I did like: the Alex/Kara scenes, and the Lena/Kara scenes.

And of course Cat Grant as press secretary. I'm not entirely sure why she would take that position, but I do know it's comedy gold. 

• Love 5
  1. Is Laura Benanti doing something so important that she can not do a 15-second cameo? I know that Erica Durance lives in Vancouver - where the show is filmed - and therefore readily available. But come on, just 15 seconds?
  2. Speaking of Vancouver, I would appreciate if TPTB can make Canada Place and its cruise terminal less obvious.
  3. What does that family do stopping in the middle of an intersection while a semi-trailer truck barreling down?
  4. Ha! General Talbot defected from Marvel to DC.
  5. I am quite surprised (and glad) that Moron-Gate has made it to this episode. It has only been what? A week since that story broke IRL?
  6. Supergirl can't breathe underwater? Has Alex read any Superman / Supergirl comics? They do not breathe underwater. Besides, Supergirl has been to outer space several times.
  7. I am glad that in Supergirl universe major corporate acquisition can be done secretly and immediately.
  8. Out of curiosity: in a lesbian wedding, who gets to be walked down the aisle and who gets to wait by the altar?
  • Love 2

Oh nooooooessss -- Kara has the Monel sads.  It's been 6 months already, move on.

So what's with the ship at the bottom of the ocean offshore from National City ?  Is that yet another Daxamite ship -- or something new ?

Cloaking a submarine was such a waste of time -- it's already underwater so it's already hard to see.  I think I missed it but did Bloodsport get away ?  If so, how exactly ?

Plus, Kara getting knocked out by the torpedo was just lame.

So who was the mom/She-Hulk supposed to be ?  Have we even seen her in a prior episode, let alone seen that kid ?  Because they spent WAAAAAY too much time on this mom/kid combo BEFORE the attack.  Were those gamma ray torpedoes to help out with She-Hulk ?  Because the camera lingered on her and her daughter WAAAAAY too long.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:
  • Is Laura Benanti doing something so important that she can not do a 15-second cameo? I know that Erica Durance lives in Vancouver - where the show is filmed - and therefore readily available. But come on, just 15 seconds?

They had to recast because of Laura's work commitments in New York (various plays, I think a new TV role in NY, and wanting to focus on her family). I think that's why Laura didn't make many appearances last season; it's tough to go back and forth, and if the show wants to use Alura more, they have to work around Laura's schedule, transit to Vancouver included. 

• Love 4

I loved it.  Loved Kara being all badass.  Finally they showed Kara as an adult, and a big shout out to Melissa as I thought her acting was fantastic.  Also really loved the way they made up Melissa as Kara...more makeup, poofier hairdo and her outfits were more attractive and less girlish like in past seasons..  Hope this stronger Kara stays on for awhile.  

Best new character...Morgan Edge.  Please tell me he's staying on.   Hopefully Reign is more interesting in future episodes, because so far she's snooze-inducing.  Most annoying...Cat Grant.  Please tell me Calista is not just going to be used to spew their political agenda.  It got old real quick last year.

Liked James and glad he got more storyline, but while Winn seemed to be on a lot, I can't actually remember anything significant.  LOL that Lena was the first person to hit the ground when the chaos erupted.  She's probably had years of experience dodging rotten tomatoes due to her family's reputation.

Can't believe people are hacked about the infinitesimally short time Mon-El was on.  Last season people complained that he took over the show and was in every scene.  I doubt he was on for even 45 seconds tonight.  To each his own.  I really like Mon-El and want to see if he indeed got sucked into the 31st century, because I want to see what kind of cool sets and costumes the show comes up with.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Speaking of Vancouver, I would appreciate if TPTB can make Canada Place and its cruise terminal less obvious.

I had a good chuckle that they didn't bother hiding the w Cordova street sign in one shot. I don't even LIVE in Vancouver and yet i I know the existence of that street.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Supergirl can't breathe underwater? Has Alex read any Superman / Supergirl comics? They do not breathe underwater. Besides, Supergirl has been to outer space several times.

That is a  real head scratcher right there, I"m pretty sure the Krypytonian duo can at least hold their breath underwater alot longer than the average human could.

• Love 1

Supergirl can't breathe underwater? Has Alex read any Superman / Supergirl comics? They do not breathe underwater. Besides, Supergirl has been to outer space several times.

She appears to be able to hold her breathe for a really long time though. On the show she can't breath or fly in space either, at least she couldn't in the season one finale. Though last year she was at the very edge of the atmosphere where there is little to no oxygen and she could breathe and fly just fine.

This premiere was not bad. It was not as good as last years and the political commentary is as cringworthy as ever but I liked that the cast felt a little more integrated than last year and Kara/Alex got a meaningful scene together. 

Most annoying...Cat Grant.  Please tell me Calista is not just going to be used to spew their political agenda.  It got old real quick last year.

Cat's political references and name checking was better done in season one where it felt less like the character serving as the writers mouthpiece. 

Edited by Oreo2234
8 minutes ago, JoyGirl said:

Can't believe people are hacked about the infinitesimally short time Mon-El was on. 

It's telling how irritating many of us find him that those few scenes continue to grate, especially since he was framed both as Kara's Big Loss that drove her to become GrimKara *and* the imagined Mon-El was the one whose "Wake up" was the one that finally got Kara to come back to herself - not Winn, not James, not even Alex, for fuck's sake. 

Apart from that though, I enjoyed the premiere.  Yeah, not exactly original story-wise and wrapped up in a single episode Supergirl-style, but it gave me enough to keep tuning in - Kara/Lena, Kara/Alex, and really, just Kara having meaningful scenes with other characters, even James.  It probably won't last once the Scenesucker inevitably returns, but I'll take what I can get for now.

• Love 8

I liked it... even though I didn't like Kara and her 'humanity sucks' attitude.

I didn't mind the glimpses of Mon-El, but I hate that Kara is ready to give up the 'Kara Danvers' part of herself (indirectly) for him. The way their relationship played out last season, I don't buy that their connection was that strong or meaningful.

::sniff::  Space Dad is the best!

Does Kreisberg just hate journalism?

I'm interested in the arcs they set up here, although, Lena being James' boss kinda squishes some of my James/Lena dreams. ?

I'm assuming the ship they showed underwater was the one from last season's finale.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Solid but not great episode. 

I know Reign lifting the thing off her daughter was supposed to impress us, but I kept thinking that if it didn't crash her daughter's ribcage, it couldn't have been that heavy (I'm guessing that it was supposed to have been propped up on something, but if that was the case, wouldn't it have been easier to try to slide the daughter out from underneath it?). 

So far the child actress doesn't seem too bad. 

I'm assuming the ship they showed underwater was the one from last season's finale.

Yeah, I think that's Reign's pod. 

I hope we'll get a cool scene with like Reign diving for it. 

WTF to zombie!Alura. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, wevel said:

Mon-El was the one whose "Wake up" was the one that finally got Kara to come back to herself - not Winn, not James, not even Alex, for fuck's sake. 

Kara's Big Loss is a lot more than losing Mon-El, IMO.  Despite her friends and family's praise of how she saved the world and was so selfless, she totally mishandled the invasion.  She was a failure.  She challenged Rhea and ignored Rhea's past actions, naively thinking she would act honorably (because Kara/Supergirl always thinks the best of people).  She confidently told everyone, including Mon-El, that there was no need to worry about Lena's invention because she was going to defeat Rhea.  And when that didn't happen, she was forced to use it, because she had no backup plan.  That has to be something that she feels tremendous guilt about.  At least that's how I see it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So who was the mom/She-Hulk supposed to be ?  Have we even seen her in a prior episode, let alone seen that kid ?  Because they spent WAAAAAY too much time on this mom/kid combo BEFORE the attack.  Were those gamma ray torpedoes to help out with She-Hulk ?  Because the camera lingered on her and her daughter WAAAAAY too long.

We haven't met either of them before, but if you want to know then it's all over the media, spec and spoiler threads - I think it was publicized starting fairly soon after the last season finale. I won't post it here in case people don't want to know what's coming.

• Love 1

Katie’s accent was more noticeable for me.

I thought that both Katie and David fell out of accent in this episode. 

I also think that there will be more to Kara's "loss". Kara refused to talk about it in this episode despite people urging her to. So I think this is still coming. Kara to me looked like she was faking being happy in the ending scene at the bar. 

I've read some cool theories on it, like that one problem is that nobody knows what even happened to him or that it's Kara getting disillusioned with love in general because as Supergirl she sees it as her responsibility to always put the world first, so even if she found a new love, that aspect wouldn't be different. 

Plus Kara has always had abandonment issues out the wazoo, so I hope for more story there (and there was at least one Kreisberg interview that made me hopeful in that regard). 

Mon-El's "Wake up" actually made me laugh because it sounded so bossy and not terribly romantic XD 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, tofutan said:

I also think that there will be more to Kara's "loss". Kara refused to talk about it in this episode despite people urging her to. So I think this is still coming.

I hope so.  I think her attitude in tonight's season opener is completely understandable.  I like the sharper edge to Kara.  She was unbelievable last year as a reporter, and she's always been somewhat unbelievable to me as a superhero. 

1 minute ago, bmoore4026 said:

Oh, Kara there are other Super fish in the Super sea.  And, for all you know, Mon-El is probably banging a blue chick who can control shadows and darkness right now.

Well, there is the possibility he fathered a petrie dish child with Lena, if you remember back to their almost forced marriage.   But I think Mon-El and Kara are cute together and hope the show brings them back together...soon.

• Love 3

Overall I liked it.

I was good with cranky Kara.  Its nice to see her as something other than a happy puppy - and not whiny over MonEl.  I mean it was because of ME, but more that she just went to a done-with-all-this place.  It was a nice change, Melissa played it well, and it set up a nice scene with Alex.  

I find it weird that Maggie would want a big wedding given what we've been told about her relationship with her family.  Actually I can't imagine either of them wanting a big wedding.  

Chylers expression at "she's acting like .... Alex" was hilarious.

Having James but no Guardian was a plus for me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Out of curiosity: in a lesbian wedding, who gets to be walked down the aisle and who gets to wait by the altar?

There's no set rule! In the lesbian wedding I attended, each women walked down the aisle with her parents. I thought that was a nice way to do it.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, sskrill said:

Overall I liked it.

I was good with cranky Kara.  Its nice to see her as something other than a happy puppy - and not whiny over MonEl.  I mean it was because of ME, but more that she just went to a done-with-all-this place.  It was a nice change, Melissa played it well, and it set up a nice scene with Alex.  

I find it weird that Maggie would want a big wedding given what we've been told about her relationship with her family.  Actually I can't imagine either of them wanting a big wedding.  

Chylers expression at "she's acting like .... Alex" was hilarious.

Having James but no Guardian was a plus for me.

LOL and Chyler has got to keep her off screen Manga hair this season

12317763_212128865811251_2133044579_n.jp

And it's a shame Cyborg Daisy got done in by Ghostrider .She could have taken another pop at Adrian Pasdar

Alex and J'onn still give me the feels. I have loved their friendship from the start, and she's a year or two at her asking him to walk her down the aisle.

Please can I have my James and Lena ship this season? Pretty please?

Intrigued how this new character is going to be intertwined in the storyline. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

I’m with everyone else, starting out with that Dream Bland el was groan inducing, eye rolling bleck. Thankfully it got way better without him and did indeed show just how much he took from the show when he was there last season. This time out the regulars got sometime though Winn kinda got the short end this ep. And while it was kinda dumb move on James part he was right, Kara was not listening to anyone and was being way too moody. The guy left, he didn’t die. Kara is acting like a thirteen year old who is having her first boyfriend and thinks they will be together forever. This whole destined to be together crap still is not working with this couple.

Last thing, how can Lena not figure out Kara and Supergirl are one and the same? Everything she does comes off as smart and just a little bit ruthless yet nope she is still clueless about Kara even when she walks out and just suddenly shows up?

• Love 4

The guy left, he didn’t die. 

He didn't leave. To their knowledge he was lost. He might be dead or he might not be, Kara doesn't know. He could easily have succumbed to his poisoning wherever he went, not to mention Kara keeps dreaming of him with her dead mother. 

Kara is acting like a thirteen year old who is having her first boyfriend 

Kara might not be 13, but to our knowledge she probably really never had a real boyfriend before. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

I’m with everyone else, starting out with that Dream Bland el was groan inducing, eye rolling bleck. Thankfully it got way better without him and did indeed show just how much he took from the show when he was there last season.

Everyone?  Not me.  

17 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

Kara is acting like a thirteen year old who is having her first boyfriend and thinks they will be together forever.

Pretty simplistic.  I think the writers made a good case for her behavior.  She's an adult...she fell in love with someone...something she did caused him to have to leave the planet very quickly without the ability to make any plans...and she has no idea where he is, that he is even alive, and no way of contacting him.  I think that's a little more significant than the snit fit you described.  

17 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

This whole destined to be together crap still is not working with this couple.

And yet, based on his apparent popularity, the show is bringing him back for another season.   (Insert...well of course, they are dating in real life...here)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:
  1. Out of curiosity: in a lesbian wedding, who gets to be walked down the aisle and who gets to wait by the altar?

At my cousin's wedding, both were walked down the aisle.

Didn't like WhinyKara this episode even though I expected something like that for the first episode of the season. I would have significantly preferred it if she just was typically happy Kara in this episode with the occasional crack showing, like she's actually been spending the time between this season and last season working through losing Mon-El instead of being still completely obsessed him as though she can't have a life without him. Even if Mon-El was a much better character and didn't effectively eat the show the moment he showed up I still would not have wanted Kara to act like she couldn't even pretend to get over him. Also, even though the guy isn't even on the show for more than 20 seconds Mon-El once again completely overtakes the life of Kara Danvers whenever she's anything other than Supergirl to the point she quits her job and is willing to all but completely abandon her identity in favor of Supergirl solely over her grief of his loss.

That aside it was a decent enough episode, just dragged down once again by the Kara/Mon-El relationship drama. Echoed whoever said it above that I hope Cat doesn't stay the political mouthpiece of the writers, though her snarky attitude makes that just a little more bearable than it usually is when writers do that.

BTW, I was totally on Kara's side with James, using his watch that's only supposed to be for actual emergencies just to give Kara a pep talk was one hell of a dick move regardless of how Kara had been acting before.

1 hour ago, rtms77 said:

Last thing, how can Lena not figure out Kara and Supergirl are one and the same? Everything she does comes off as smart and just a little bit ruthless yet nope she is still clueless about Kara even when she walks out and just suddenly shows up?

I'm guessing just like with Cat Grant Lena knows perfectly well Kara is Supergirl but keeps up the facade between the changes because Kara insists on it. Though, considering Lex Luthor in various adaptions never figured out Clark Kent is Superman either no matter how blatant it was she wouldn't be the first Luthor to be pathologically ignorant of a superhero's identity.

• Love 2

After all these years, the 3rd Kryptonian's powers finally kicked in due to duress in saving her daughter. She should be the same age as Clark. I guess she had a conflict free, no stress life up to that point. 

• Love 1

Ah, in typical CW DC third season fashion, the season is kicking off by making everyone moody and bleak, I see.  Kara's pouting about good old Mon El, pushing everyone away, and basically trying to be Supergirl the entire time.  Even quits Catco, although granted, it's not she ever really took that job as serious as she should have, so I'm not sure why James seemed so taken aback by it.  I mean, sure, I get it on some levels, but I would be way more invested in it if I had ever given a damn about her romance with Mon El, but since I thought it was poorly written, it just feels like lame teen drama.  At least she seems to be warming back up, but I'm sure it will all come back into play, especially since Chris Wood is still a regular.  I'll try to stay awake when it does.

But she isn't alone at least, since Alex is being a drip about the wedding, and basically needs to have Maggie call her out on it over the headset during a mission (way to keep your eye on things, guys), before she admits that she is upset that Jeremiah won't be able to walk her down the aisle.  You do plan on spending the rest of your life with her, Alex, so maybe try and be more open, my friend?  But at least it lead to her asking J'onn to walk her instead, which was easily the best scene by a mile.  I do love their relationship.

Lena's a regular and they've found a convoluted, but fun way to do so by having her buy Catco, since Cat is off being the new press secretary for the President instead (decent way to keep Calista Flockhart around.  Just shoot her vids in L.A. and send them over!)  I'm all for more Lena, but Katie McGrath's accent really was all over the place tonight.  They should just throw in the towel and have her just be British going forward.  It wouldn't be more far-fetched then Alura randomly going from Laura Benanti to Erica Durance.

At least Adrian Pasdar is here at his most awesomely slimy best as Morgan Edge, who feels like a mixture of Gordon Gekko from Wall Street and Donald Trump. Did love Kara dumping him on that barge at the end, but I have to imagine he'll be back and gunning for both her and Lena.

Odette Annable randomly shows up as some mother who has super strength, but I'm guessing there will be more to that since she's a regular too.

Not the best start, but hopefully they've gotten all of that angst out of their system (for now), and the new few episodes will be more fun, and not make me think I'm watching the CW's version of Man of Steel.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, JoyGirl said:

I loved it.  Loved Kara being all badass.  Finally they showed Kara as an adult, and a big shout out to Melissa as I thought her acting was fantastic.  Also really loved the way they made up Melissa as Kara...more makeup, poofier hairdo and her outfits were more attractive and less girlish like in past seasons..  Hope this stronger Kara stays on for awhile.  

I noticed that too. It was a good change. I overall was a little peeved with how everyone was reacting to Kara. If Kara wants to grow up and spend more time as Supergirl... I am all for it. James was 100% out of line by calling her emergency line. I never liked the idea of Kara being an investigative reporter. That is not her. That is Clark. It would have been a good thing if she realized that and was happy with her decision.  However, I was glad to have "James" back as an adult and not guardian. I hope they drop that character as James may see he is more useful at an editor. 

I think it is genius having Cat be press secretary. I don't like her political mouthing but it could be a way to give Kara / Supergirl some needed wisdom. 

Ahh what a blessing not to have Mon-el around. On the one hand, I believe that Kara is upset because her entire life has been a series of losses of the things that meant a lot to her. And I think he is owed some space for that. On the other Mon-el was such an idiot, while Kara is imagining him dead he most likely has had like 27 children that are blue. I am sure he has forgotten all about her.  

I didn't like the new real estate developer nee republican. Really? He is going to blow up the city for a new real estate development? Lame. Did we really need another character? 

• Love 1

I loved it! 

I do not have a problem with mon-el so it help!

But, loved loved Alex and jon and all the kara Alex!

I was fine with Kara being darker cause she felt guilty and heart broken over mon el! Not the most original but it was interesting to see that side of Kara! And her mechanism was to destroy her humanity side cause she was in pain!

I was happy with the Jame we got this episode, Lena just wish for a bit more winn kara too always loved them together!

Great start.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, tofutan said:

Kara might not be 13, but to our knowledge she probably really never had a real boyfriend before. 

Poor James. Even fans don't think his relationship with Kara in season one was real.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

They had to recast because of Laura's work commitments in New York (various plays, I think a new TV role in NY, and wanting to focus on her family). I think that's why Laura didn't make many appearances last season; it's tough to go back and forth, and if the show wants to use Alura more, they have to work around Laura's schedule, transit to Vancouver included. 

They basically had Laura Benanti for the first 13 weeks and some pickups later on.  I think it was a calculated risk that they took, grabbing an actress whose first loves are New York and the theater, and eventually they had to move on from it.

• Love 2

I only realized that Supergirl was back by seeing it shwo up on my DVR. Some random thoughts:

Mon-El, how can we miss you if you won't go away?

I echo the thought that his absence means that James got more air time than he typically does.

Once again, Supergirl loses a perpetrator that she easily should caught. Putting aside the old 30-foot throw not stopping Bloodsport, she could have used her superspeed, X-ray vision, super-hearing or other powers to track him down. The whole notion that Bloodsport can go toe-to-toe with Supergirl is ridiculous.

The notion that Bloodsport would basically wait to blow up the waterfront until the time when Supergirl was most likely to be there to intervene is fairly silly as well. 

If only Supergirl could find something to tie Morgan Edge to the waterfront attacks...such as confessions from Bloodsport or the other mercs, a money trial, etc

Thankfully/hopefully Emo Supergirl is only a one-of.  

• Love 2

Me: Well the Mon-El Who Ate Natoinal City is gone, even though I'm sure he'll return at some point. Let's give the season premiere a shot.

Supergirl producers: HAHA. SUCK IT. WE'LL MAKE THE FIRST SCENE CHEESY, WISTFUL CRAP ABOUT MON-EL.

• Love 5

Poor James. Even fans don't think his relationship with Kara in season one was real.

What relationship?  While they did spend all of season 1 pining for each other they ended up with one (?) aborted date before deciding to call the whole thing off.  A relationship can't end if it never gets started in the first place.

Also, did one of the writers meet Robert Gibbs once?  I don't think he's even considered the best of Obama's press secretaries.

• Love 2

It was a solid premiere for me, I liked this darker Kara and I wanted the show to explore it for more than one episode. I like Mon-El so it doesn't bother me that Kara was so heartbroken over him, you have to take into account several factors with this story : she lost her boyfriend, the first man she was really in love with, she lost someone who knew Krypton bringing back the loss of her planet and family and she probably feels guilty for the way she dealt with Rhea so she has good reasons to be traumatized.

The fight between  the sisters was intense, Alex could have more delicate with her approach so she kind  of deserved what she got in return and seriously it was time for somebody to address Alex's problem with alcoholism 

The scenes underwater and with the submarine were cool, I always loved when they are given the budget for big scenes like that. I thought the cinematography was really on point this episode, lots of lovely imageries.

Kara must have used her super hearing and x-ray vision more in this one episode than in the last two seasons put together, It's nice when the writers remember that she has more than two powers.  

Jonn and Kara had my favorite scene of the episode, Jonn more subdued style make his scenes warmer and more emotional for me than the over dramatical style in the scenes between the danvers.

Lena has a very aggressive approach to friendship, buying an enterprise so you can pass more time with your BFF? a little stalkerish. But reuniting James, Lena and Kara under the same roof is a good idea, he was already more interesting in his scenes with Lena and Morgan Edge than in most of last season.

Reign's introduction was okay, I thought the actress she was good in the big scene with her daughter and there are some intriguing mysteries set up for her character. I guess the ship underwater is hers though at first sight it didn't look like a kryptonian pod to me. And she shares a dream about Alura with Kara, so Alura is probably involved with her creation and if she was created in a lab like her comics counterpart maybe they used DNA from the zor-el family.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, rtms77 said:

I’m with everyone else, starting out with that Dream Bland el was groan inducing, eye rolling bleck. 

I disagree. And I know at least a handful of additional people who disagree as well. 

Aside from that, the season basically ended with Mon-El leaving, so starting with this made a ton of sense. Particularly with the s2 ending shot with Kara flying up into the sky, that was basically begging to be followed up upon. 

That's why I said "real" boyfriend. As in like sex and living together. Kara and James tried to date but gave up almost immediately. To me that's not a boyfriend relationship. 

They basically had Laura Benanti for the first 13 weeks and some pickups later on.  I think it was a calculated risk that they took, grabbing an actress whose first loves are New York and the theater, and eventually they had to move on from it.

Considering with how many people this happened to them with, I assume they didn't count on having to move the production. It's more weird that they picked an actress with a similar problem (Maggie) for season 2. 

Kara must have used her super hearing and x-ray vision more in this one episode than in the last two seasons put together, It's nice when the writers remember that she has more than two powers.  

I was just glad that they had J'onn at least try to mindscan for the baddies and just failing rather than them just forgetting he can do that. 

a little stalkerish.

I didn't have a problem with it, Morgan was threatening to use CatCo against Lena, so basically, he attacked her, she was defending herself. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1

While I can appreciate and recognize the fact Melissa and Chris look good together, I still don't care about Mon El. Someone up thread mentioned Riley from Buffy and I think that is a good comparison for me. I don't like or hate Mon El, I just don't care. If anything, my issue with him last season was why do I have to watch so many scenes of Kara interacting with him (romance or not) when I could be watching her and Alex, or her and J'onn, or Winn, or Lena? I didn't mention James because while I liked him in season 1 I thought they kind of lost their way with him in 2. But I also know Mon El is going to return sooner or later and be slotted right back in as THE most important person in Kara's life.  Oh well.

Speaking of James, if they're going to keep focus on him at CatCo and not as Guardian (which to me was a bizarre way of trying to make him relevant) then I can get behind it. Going from photographer to head of a major media conglomerate may not have made a lot of sense last season, but putting on a mask and trying to fight crime in a city with human looking alien criminals who can throw cars is not smart either.

Alex's argument with Kara gives a good indication of what life must have been like in the Danvers home growing up. Having to walk on eggshells all the time whenever your sister is upset or angry, not just for her sake and because your mother tells you to, but because your sister could pretty much break your house in half with a shrug of her shoulders couldn't be easy on Alex.

Maybe it's just me, but I have never understood the whole "let's get halfway through the wedding preparations before I mention the fact I don't actually want a big wedding" thing TV seems to love so much. How did Alex and Maggie not talk about this kind of thing beforehand?

Winn and J'onn so readily agreeing Kara was acting like Alex, and Alex's reaction, was hilarious.

I'm not surprised they couldn't get the original actress who played Astra back, I know that was part of the reason she was in so little of season one despite being the main villain, but swapping in Erica Durance really threw me. I had no idea who she was supposed to be until Kara said "Mom." Though for a moment I kind of hoped she was going to be a bad guy so Kara can fight all the Lois Lane's she can.

• Love 8