Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Talk

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

At public schools in my part of California, high school graduations are always outside just so that kids can invite many people.  With my kids, the graduating class got the bleachers and the loved ones were in folding chairs on the field.  There were at least 6 different valedictorians because they are just such over achievers.  And there aren't any parties because they all go to the All Night Party, in the gym and adjacent areas, and staffed by the parents.  My ex-husband got the 2am shift both times.

I was such a fan of their old kitchen, I may go into mourning.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

He actually gave Zoe shit a season or two ago about how lazily she was approaching her college applications while he was doing a ton of stuff to boost his credentials, and he did, you know, get into Stanford.  So, yeah, I'd say we've had inklings that he was potentially valedictorian material.

But in most scenes he’s presented as a dimwit, too.  Sweet and responsible, but mostly clueless.  

9 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But in most scenes he’s presented as a dimwit, too.  Sweet and responsible, but mostly clueless.  

Right and at times, way too clueless about things. The entire situation that kicked off the marriage issues with Jack getting the jumpy ordered and telling JR that it was Baby D. Junior replies: "He can call people?" That was just too much. Same with Jack at times, I know he has done really, stupid things or thought processes. However, I remember when he wanted a chest bump with Diane and she kept telling Jack to stop. Even pointing out that: "Hello, girl, bra. Just no." He still pushed it like: "No, in my mind, this is awesome." There comes a point where it's too much. 

TBH this multi episodes Bo&Dre splitting up storyline is driving me away from the series. I know the show has tackled real things and divorce is very real, BUT I tuned in mainly for the comedy.  I know Man-baby Dre is not compatible with high strung Bo IRL, but I am willing to suspend my disbelieve for the comedy.  If I want dark and gloomy I can easily switch to local news

Whatever. I am getting 1/2 hour back per week :(

• Love 4

I liked the old kitchen better.  I'm guessing they only remodeled it to show that Dre and Bow did the nesting thing for weeks, not just a fews days.  It might also be symbolic - the old kitchen, part of happier times, was bright and cheerful and the new kitchen is dark and dreary.  

These "marital troubles" episodes are depressing.  Since they are putting 4 episodes on this arc and since their relationship has deteriorated so much, if Bow and Dre ending up staying together, they won't be able to just have them be happy immediately.  In real life, it would take some time to heal this marriage.   I am hoping they make up next episode, then, when the show comes back in the fall, they jump ahead a few months, and they are back to being the show I like to watch.  .

However, my hunch is that they are going to have them split.

They killed off Beau Bridges?! 

At least they're back together and this experiment is over.  I did laugh at Pops' "Uh oh" looking at Diane playing with the fireplace. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

I know! I couldn't believe it! Whoever predicted there would be a tragedy that would bring them back together, called it. But I guess they thought kill off the parent that has shown up the least on this show? Whatever.

At least I hope this is the LAST of the drama. And we get the comedy next season.

• Love 21

OK, I have to do this...

On May 2, I posted on the Blue Valentine thread (the first episode where the split started):

• My guess - and this is just total speculation - is that we'll see a family disaster of some sort.  Ruby or Pops getting gravely ill or dying, or something with one of the kids, and that will bring Dre and Bo back together. 

So it wasn't Ruby or Pops, but pretty close.  Sorry writers, that was pretty predictable.  I don't know what the point of that 3 episode arc out of nowhere was.

I will say I liked the end scene with Ruby and Pops.  But 6 months left on that lease?  Damn.  That could pay for a year of college for one of the kids. 

• Love 18

I felt like there was no point to these four episodes because even though they brought up valid issues for both Dre and Bow, by the end none of them mattered because I don't think they dealt with any of them. And they killed Beau Bridges! And the funeral was not on screen, we never saw Bow's mom after she took Devante to bed last week and there was no mention of her sister or brother. But hey, Dre was there in the middle of the night and never left.

I wish they'd gotten a divorce.

I don't even know if I still want to care about this show.

• Love 16

Much better and just glad that this story arc is over and ended on a much more watchable note than it started. Even though I figured this was how it would end, I was concerned about ending the season with this story arc. Still not my preference, but better and more positive than I was thinking it would be when this arc first began.

Although I'm a tad surprised about Bow's dad, of the four grandparents, he's the one who has had the smallest role, so in that sense, it makes sense. But I'm not sure it was necessary (couldn't someone just have gotten sick and had a rough road but recovered and served the same purpose?), and the funeral took place and even though we know Bow's mom, brother, sister, and a few other family members, we saw none of them. So it was rushed, and completely about reconciling Dre and Bow, and not much else. But I'll just trust that Kenya thought this through and didn't rush this decision.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was like WTF is Ruby doing at the house with Bow when the kids aren't even there?!? BUT, great scene with Ruby and Bow clearly there was a purpose to her staying behind. I knew she was going to say she was strong because she's been trying to break her for years. She does have these moments where she's not just an exhausting presence in Bow's life and it certainly came at the right time in this story arc.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I will say I liked the end scene with Ruby and Pops.  But 6 months left on that lease?  Damn.  That could pay for a year of college for one of the kids. 

They have money to burn.

And yet all Junior got for his graduation was Dre's second best watch which Bow now upgraded for Dre with his new watch.

• Love 8

I howled at Devante walking towards the fire and Jr going after him, Diane knocking Jack down and closing the door on him when the alarm was blaring and Jack getting stuck on the stairs. I chuckled at Junior trying to pose but I also have to side eye Junior and Zoe. There’s a crash in the house and only Bow is investigating? I’m taken back Jr. or Zoe didn’t go with her. One could’ve stayed with the younger kids and the other go with Mom. The scenes of Bow and Dre doing things they didn't normally do when they lived together were good and realistic but I rolled my eyes at the clichéd garbage bag scene. 

Bravo to those who called a family crisis will bring Bow and Dre back together. I thought it was strange only Bow’s Mom was at Jr’s graduation but I thought Beau Bridges wasn’t available.  The last act felt rushed to me.

So will Bow go back to work permanently now? Will they be keeping that kitchen? 

• Love 2

I was just kind of getting on board with the separation and Thinking this could be an interesting concept to explore when they inserted the tragedy. 

As long as it took for me to come around to the concept, I kind of wish they had left the season with harmonious separation that they resolved in a few episodes next season. 

Ah well

Can I stay with Pops and Ruby in the Dream House?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

They have money to burn.

And yet all Junior got for his graduation was Dre's second best watch which Bow now upgraded for Dre with his new watch.

Yeah, all of a sudden with Dre having endless money to use after the last 4 seasons of how they needed better money management. Even to points finding out their old finance manager didn't know anything at all for the last... 14 years. Now, they can just throw that out, Bow is back at work and I agree, they need more theorpy. Yet, it makes half the season just seem like a waste. The reason why Dre wanted Bow staying at home. Baby D actually having more of a natural place in the finale (he is moving pretty fast now huh?). However, with Junior and Zoey gone most of next season. I really can't see Jack and Diane carrying the kid aspects of the show, and if they want to magically get Junior back on a regular basis again, I'm just going to say: "Well, then maybe you need less psychotic Diane and Jack "I'm stuck in the stairs again" jokes. 

• Love 7

I thought this storyline was a terrible idea, but it seemed that they were going for the "real."  And then everything gets solved in the last 10 minutes.  Although nothing actually got solved, except that Dre and Bow stopped acting so completely out of character.

I never believed the premise.  One thing I loved about the pilot is that Dre and Bow clearly loved and liked each other, and to have a husband and wife genuinely like each other is rarer than it should be in current family comedies.  As someone said in a prior thread, the whole thing never felt organic.  And if they had really gone to therapy several times, they would have called each other out on the "you always do this" and "that's just like you," the bringing up of old arguments, the suspicion and negativity, and all the other ways that they dragged each other down by the way they fight.  I didn't really like watching the two of them snipe at each other for 3 and a half episodes. 

• Love 11

Well, at least they got to finagle a clip in from the Disney commercial episode.

I was looking forward to more of single Bow. Disappointed they killed off Beau Bridges and played the 'dead parent repairs an estranged marriage' card but kudos to the commenter who called it.

• Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I did laugh at Pops' "Uh oh" looking at Diane playing with the fireplace. 

Yeah, everything about "Dark Diane" pretty much screams young pyromaniac.

10 hours ago, nilyank said:
10 hours ago, chaifan said:

They have money to burn.

It does appear that between the two of them, Bow and Dre must earn somewhere in the high six-figures given the way they spend money,

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Yeah, everything about "Dark Diane" pretty much screams young pyromaniac.

It does appear that between the two of them, Bow and Dre must earn somewhere in the high six-figures given the way they spend money,

I'm sure they do. Bow probably makes between $400 - $500K as an anesthesiologist in LA, and despite the fact that they do no work at Dre's office, successful ad men make good money. I think Dre is pretty senior.

Big props to whoever called the "tragedy reunites the family" scenario - that was the first thing I thought when I saw Bow say her father died. I feel like if they were going to do this they should have REALLY done it and had them split, otherwise what's the point?

So Bow got Ruby and Dre got Pops? Huh. 

• Love 3

It's weird that this is, as far as we know, the first major death in the family and we don't get to see the reaction from the kids or Bow's mom and siblings?  It would have been nice to see how all the eccentric personalities handled the death and grieving in different ways.  It was such a cop out to shoe horn this into the stupid FOUR-episode arc as a way to magically wrap up everything with their marriage issues and not do a separate episode on death.  It would have made more sense for the death to happen in the first or second episode of the arc to track the fallout from that with the failing marriage.  I don't know.  Just an awful way to end the season all around.

• Love 23
(edited)

This was the season finale? I haven't seen this episode yet but when I saw the title was "Dream Home" I had this fleeting hope that the entire 4-episode arc was a nightmare Dre had due to eating too much candy and falling asleep in his crying closet after a fight with Bow. Thought he would wake up and realize how awesome his marriage and family is, Junior would get the attention and praise he deserved at his graduation, and that awful kitchen would disappear. 

Seriously, I hoped this would be the big plot development. Apparently not. Oh well, I'll tune in next season if and when I realize it's back but don't really care if it never returns. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

Well, I am glad that is over.  Although it would have been rather groundbreaking to have a sitcom marriage break up after four years of being a (usually) happy couple, it was dreading the eventual episodes of Dre spoiling the kids (trying to buy their love) and Bow imploring him not to.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

This was the season finale? I haven't seen this episode yet but when I saw the title was "Dream Home" I had this fleeting hope that the entire 4-episode arc was a nightmare Dre had due to eating too much candy and falling asleep in his crying closet after a fight with Bow. Thought he would wake up and realize how awesome his marriage and family is, Junior would get the attention and praise he deserved at his graduation, and that awful kitchen would disappear. 

Junior is owed one hell of a belated graduation party.  They should have let him have the dream house for the summer to make up for the awful treatment he got at graduation.

• Love 15

Well, thank God thats over. Can we get back to being a comedy next season? Please? You can still add in some drama, but could we please not have four freaking episodes of almost total drama? Drama that basically comes out of nowhere? 

They killed off  Beau Bridges! And it was all a plot device to get Bow and Dre back together! I mean, Bows dad was the least known of the grandparents so I get why they choose him to die, but it just came out of nowhere, we didnt really see any reaction from anyone, even his wife, we didnt even see the funeral, and it all just existed to solve this arc. So now this character is gone forever, because the writers wanted a quick reason to get Dre and Bow back together before the season ended. I think it would have worked just as well to have one of the grandparents was just sick and got better, and thats what brought them back together. It a crappy way to treat a reoccurring character that should have more meaning to the main characters. And a pretty meh way to end this whole four episode arc. 

The only laughs I got were from Pops, both his reaction when he saw Diane playing with fire (oh boy) and when he referred to Dres new house as an "East German Art Show", and I liked the scene between Ruby and Bow. Those are my highlights. 

So Dre has the money to burn on a year long lease on some super fancy house for himself, but nothing for Juniors graduation gift or party? Sounds about right. Poor Junior. 

The acting was really good in this arc, and I am glad that Bow and Dre got back together, but this arc really hasn't worked for me. Not only because this is supposed to be a comedy and not a full on drama, but because I never felt like this much drama was earned within the story. It was just like, "hey, we want to do this arc where Bow and Dre struggle with their marriage, so now they randomly are having serious issues" instead of something that actually happened naturally. They might as well have called all four (freaking FOUR!) Emmy Bait and gotten it over with.

• Love 9

They did it, got them back together, I didn't think it would happen. I almost didn't watch as I didn't want to get depressed. Shows I don't know sitcoms or marriage apparently. But I'm glad I was wrong. Seemed believable to me that Bow would still turn to Dre in a crisis and that precipitated their reunion. The ep moved through time quite rapidly to make a reunion believable -couldn't quite figure out how long the separation lasted. I loved the anniversary scene with Bow giving Dre a watch and he giving her a bouquet of flowers.  Jack and Diane brought the funny, and I liked Zoe's -still your daughter not your friend-line. Ruby and Pops each provided good counsel to the warring couple. Sorry Beau Bridges is gone, but guess they needed her to have a big loss for her and Dre to get back together.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I howled at Devante walking towards the fire and Jr going after him, Diane knocking Jack down and closing the door on him when the alarm was blaring and Jack getting stuck on the stairs.

Yes! Those were three LOL bits. My favorite was Jack falling down.

I rolled my eyes at the clichéd garbage bag scene. 

Me too. I doubt they buy garbage bags from the 99¢ Store, so the bottom coming apart as if someone had slit it with scissors was ridiculous. Plus, like you said, it's just a cliche.

14 hours ago, mikem said:

I thought this storyline was a terrible idea, but it seemed that they were going for the "real."  And then everything gets solved in the last 10 minutes.

Although I hated the arc and wasn't surprised that a tragedy brought them back together, I wouldn't say that everything was solved by the end. As they said, they still need to work at building a new marriage. And therapy will continue. I wonder what kind of continuity there will be next season.

• Love 5

I have seen this happen time after time with actors in a comedy.  They insist on showing their "dramatic acting" chops and they expect us to applaud them. Naw. We tune in to a comedy sitcom to be entertained. Period. Go back to being funny. Please and thank you.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TGinKY said:

I have seen this happen time after time with actors in a comedy.  They insist on showing their "dramatic acting" chops and they expect us to applaud them. Naw. We tune in to a comedy sitcom to be entertained. Period. Go back to being funny. Please and thank you.

Yep, and then you see the reverse in dramas - they concoct some weird plot line (usually a get knocked on the head/dream sequence) where everyone acts out of character, hijinks ensue, etc., just to let the dramatic actors show that they can do comedy or sing or whatever.  It's just as out of place, and just as much a waste of an episode.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, chaifan said:

Junior is owed one hell of a belated graduation party.  They should have let him have the dream house for the summer to make up for the awful treatment he got at graduation.

I liked the scene in which Dre offers Junior a chance to play catch. Junior is beyond ecstatic, only to be rebuffed because Dre's time is up. They're really playing up the Junior as nerdy kid ignored by his father schtick.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, chaifan said:

Yep, and then you see the reverse in dramas - they concoct some weird plot line (usually a get knocked on the head/dream sequence) where everyone acts out of character, hijinks ensue, etc., just to let the dramatic actors show that they can do comedy or sing or whatever.  It's just as out of place, and just as much a waste of an episode.

The dreaded musical episode everyone does now.

I'm glad this storyline is over as it was so out of left field and contradicted the other half of the season.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, chaifan said:

This is not the exact same thing, but I hated the Grey's Anatomy episode that was turned into a musical.  Same premise though - actors who can sing who want to be Broadway stars show casing their vocal abilities.  I hated it!! UGH

ETA: In2You beat me to it. High five for the mutual hatred of egotistical actors who ruin good episodes.

Edited by TGinKY
  • Love 1

Wow, that was ... cursory. So the very hasty phone call re the death of Bo's dad just re-set the two of them, broke their emotional stalemate and reconnected them with all the lovey dovey feelings? Nobody said that in the script, but that's what I saw. A four episode arc and a basically one scene throw it all out the window without dealing. I especially would like to see it dealt with because, having binged on this show, and, while noting all of Bow's own shortcomings, I think she gets the short end of the stick and Dre is just such an asshole.

My favorite part of this episode was Pops "Uh oh" when Diane was playing with fire. 

Try as I might I can't bring the Johnson combined annual income in above 700k, and even then I'm working with TV money. That's five kids, private school for the twins and university for Zoey, and the whole living large thing which would make some people with actual show biz money go broke - the first class all the way Disney trip, the cars, clothes, jewelry - the whole lifestyle is insane. They spend money like water. Not factoring that Bow wasn't even working there for awhile. Then that massive dream home Dre was renting.  That money would make them comfortable but they'd still have to think about money. I wish this show never had the episodes where Bow and Dre were concerned about money - just go with the fantasy that it's unlimited. Because putting money worries in-show, and then going forward with episodes where they're spending it like they have money to burn - as said above - is a real disconnect and WTF. 

Really enjoy Pops and Ruby. 

• Love 8
On 5/15/2018 at 9:28 PM, mtlchick said:

At least they're back together and this experiment is over.  I did laugh at Pops' "Uh oh" looking at Diane playing with the fireplace. 

what a shitty send off for beau bridges! should have been a whole episode. where was her mom?  the whole divorce scenario sucked. i'm starting to think about deleting this out of the cue.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, snoopypez said:

As predictable as the reunion's reason may have been, Tracee Ellis Ross's acting when she called Dre was painful in how devastated she was. It made me tear up almost instantly.

I lost my dad just over a year ago and I will say that shot alone was a like a punch to the gut.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TGinKY said:

This is not the exact same thing, but I hated the Grey's Anatomy episode that was turned into a musical.  Same premise though - actors who can sing who want to be Broadway stars show casing their vocal abilities.  I hated it!! UGH

ETA: In2You beat me to it. High five for the mutual hatred of egotistical actors who ruin good episodes.

The main problem is and it's not like Kenya wasn't coming in from real experience from his own marriage issues in season 1 and then having a baby a year later after already having three almost out of the house. However, did he just stop for one second and go: "Wait, this might not make sense and really, I see how other shows handle a new kid out of the blue or a marriage we have shown to be pretty solid." "Nah, I went through it, it's story gold... oh hi Netflix!" "Good luck ABC!" So, yeah, show runner ego combine with plot driving characters and not the other way around. Especially, with the entire money issues the last 2 years and then having Bow quit to prove Dre was a "man". Oh bullshit!

• Love 1
(edited)

Another thing - the writing on this show can sometime go straight to sitcom tropes/cliches/stereotypes without thinking it through. The garbage bag breaking (a big eye roll) and the "break in". The execution of the break-in was funny, but I think the implication was oh noes, Bow is a woman alone in the house who has to protect the family. When come on, if there HAD been a break-in scare while Dre was there, Dre would have been screaming, crying, and more scared than any of the kids. It's not like he would have handled things. The garbage bag was kind of like - oh, that's the man's job thing - when I would bet you Dre has never taken the garbage out in his life.

Agreed with whoever noted that Zoey, Junior, or both should have had Bow's back during the break in, not running for cover.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

Another thing - the writing on this show can sometime go straight to sitcom tropes/cliches/stereotypes without thinking it through. The garbage bag breaking (a big eye roll) and the "break in". The execution of the break-in was funny, but I think the implication was oh noes, Bow is a woman alone in the house who has to protect the family. When come on, if there HAD been a break-in scare while Dre was there, Dre would have been screaming, crying, and more scared than any of the kids. It's not like he would have handled things. The garbage bag was kind of like - oh, that's the man's job thing - when I would bet you Dre has never taken the garbage out in his life.

Agreed with whoever noted that Zoey, Junior, or both should have had Bow's back during the break in, not running for cover.

Yes, because god knows we women cannot take out the trash or not go into hysterics when it comes to protecting ourselves and our children (eye roll). If Dre would have been there he would have just thrown Junior down the stairs and screamed: "Take the boy, leave my million dollar collection of sneakers alone!"

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yes, because god knows we women cannot take out the trash or not go into hysterics when it comes to protecting ourselves and our children (eye roll). If Dre would have been there he would have just thrown Junior down the stairs and screamed: "Take the boy, leave my million dollar collection of sneakers alone!"

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Upthread it's mentioned they're going all in on the Dre/Junior issues, but in my binge-watching that has been there from the start. I also saw a clip where the family was praising Dre's commercial, and when they looked expectantly at Junior, he said "I'm withholding praise. How does it feel?" I almost cheered. Of course Junior broke down a second later when his father showed hurt feelings. His father wouldn't even NOTICE Junior's hurt feelings. 

IMO the show should have skipped the marriage breakdown and if it wanted to get real about something, it should have gotten real about the Junior/Dre relationship.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Upthread it's mentioned they're going all in on the Dre/Junior issues, but in my binge-watching that has been there from the start. I also saw a clip where the family was praising Dre's commercial, and when they looked expectantly at Junior, he said "I'm withholding praise. How does it feel?" I almost cheered. Of course Junior broke down a second later when his father showed hurt feelings. His father wouldn't even NOTICE Junior's hurt feelings. 

IMO the show should have skipped the marriage breakdown and if it wanted to get real about something, it should have gotten real about the Junior/Dre relationship.

I hate watching the way Dre treats Junior, to the point where I'll be glad if the actor isn't on the show next season (and I would 100% watch  a version of grown-ish with Junior) because the character deserves better. Emotional abuse (yep, I said what I said) isn't funny. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

Well, I liked it & ugly cried at their reconciliation.

Guess I'm the only one joining you over at the "I liked it" table - more snacks for us, lol. 

In fact, I didn't just like it, I loved it. This ep had the most humor of the four episodes. I felt like everyone was really on point. So many funny and/or touching scenes - Bow and the kids freaking out over the alarm, Pops calling Dre's house an East German museum, all the infinity fireplace stuff, Jack getting stuck in the railing, Ruby and Bow's talk, Diane and Jack sharing a fork and Junior telling Bow about it on the phone (he can definitely hear me!) and of course, the touching scenes with Bow and Dre at the end - really, the whole episode worked for me. Ruby and Pops at the end were the cherry on top. 

They did rush how they resolved things a bit, with Bow's father's passing and the reconciliation. But that just makes me want more of this arc, not less. And it was established that they went back to counseling and are doing the work. 

On a more superficial note, I LOVED Zoey's white boots, and Bow's platforms in one of the counseling scenes. And Dre made up for that silly pink sweater from last week with the equally silly (but this time in a good way) bee sweater this week (Gucci, $1450!). Also loved the dress Bow was wearing when she fixed the sink.

• Love 7
On 5/16/2018 at 6:27 AM, RedHawk said:

I had this fleeting hope that the entire 4-episode arc was a nightmare Dre had due to eating too much candy and falling asleep in his crying closet after a fight with Bow.

Way more believable! I would have been on board with this. I did like the "attempts" at comedy in the bleack  episodes... sharing a spoon, neck in stairs, fireplace... but hated the episodes generally.

Why didn't Ruby go with Dre? I hated the call from Bow while Dre was at work and he was so annoyed with her. 

Disaster. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

Way more believable! I would have been on board with this. I did like the "attempts" at comedy in the bleack  episodes... sharing a spoon, neck in stairs, fireplace... but hated the episodes generally.

Why didn't Ruby go with Dre? I hated the call from Bow while Dre was at work and he was so annoyed with her. 

Disaster. 

Yeah, it was weird to me that Ruby stayed. I know she and Pops aren't together but they're Dre's parents, and IMO if they'd split for good, Dre should have had full custody of (and financial responsibility for) them. There was room for both of them at that giant-ass inappropriate-for-kids house Dre rented (and if there weren't room, that should have been Dre's problem to figure out). 

• Love 6