Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

If Amy left I don't think Matt could carry the show, either. 

I don't know about others, but I'd totally start watching again. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I don't find any of them particularly interesting any more, so I don't think any of them could carry the show alone.  

I think most of her wealth came from marrying Matt

Perhaps it's because Matt pursued the TV show, but I remember in the beginning when she was having to borrow money from his parents (I think) to pay for Zach's braces, Matt got fired from his job, and was spending like there was no tomorrow on his pet projects on the farm.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Right now Matt, Caryn, Amy, Chris, Zach and Tori are the show. Not just Matt. If Amy left I don't think Matt could carry the show, either. It's a package deal.  I don't see anything that is so interesting about Matt at all. Watching him build toys for his grand kids isn't exactly must see TV. 

I'm probably not going to start watching again, no matter if any of them leave.  I got burned out on all the sniping.  I don't need that in my life.

And I'm not big on babies, so Z&T wouldn't draw me back in.

• Love 2

I thought Chris looked much better with the white hair and facial scruff. I loved Amy’s dress on her. I went to 2 proms in the eighties and none of the girls wore those fingerless gloves. Maybe at the mall or school, but not at prom.

Raise your hand if you were shocked that Chris and Amy were voted king and queen at the prom that she organized. Anyone?

I’m kinda done with LPBG. It’s so boring now. At least when Jer and Auj were on there was plenty to snark about. The show has run it’s course, IMO. 

• Love 2

I agree the show has run out of anything interesting.  Perhaps Amy is pushing for a cooking show because soon there will be no more family show.

Would not be interested in her cooking show.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, outtahere said:

I agree the show has run out of anything interesting.  Perhaps Amy is pushing for a cooking show because soon there will be no more family show.

I think you're on to something there.  Buddy Valastro has a Food Network show now.  Nate and Jeremiah have a show on HGTV.  Discovery bought The Food Network and HGTV (and DIY).  I’d rather see Amy on a cooking show than say, Kate Gosselin or Whitney Thore.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, outtahere said:

I'm not sure if she's thinking of a cooking show for after LPBW.  Maybe she's thinking of competing . . . kind of a "who has the most viewers" scenario.

Personally, I wouldn't consider watching until she shows she knows more about cooking than I do (having seen her on Chopped, not knowing what some of the not-really-exotic ingredients were).  And it would be helpful to know whether she still allows her cat to walk around on the counter.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not sure if she's thinking of a cooking show for after LPBW.  Maybe she's thinking of competing . . . kind of a "who has the most viewers" scenario.

Personally, I wouldn't consider watching until she shows she knows more about cooking than I do (having seen her on Chopped, not knowing what some of the not-really-exotic ingredients were).  And it would be helpful to know whether she still allows her cat to walk around on the counter.

Amy was on Chopped ???

How many rounds did she last?? I have to try to find that episode to see who were the other cooks..

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, sATL said:

Amy was on Chopped ???

How many rounds did she last?? I have to try to find that episode to see who were the other cooks..

It was a "celebrity" version.  If one of the crab fishermen from Deadliest Catch hadn't helped her, she'd have been up a creek without a paddle.  If what I found online is correct, they'll be replaying it on June 2nd at 2:00 Eastern/1:00 Central.

It was for charity.  Don't remember who won, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Amy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I looked it up. “Celebrities” that we’re on included:

Renee Graziano (Mob Wives), Travis Lofland (Deadliest Catch), Amy Roloff (Little People, Big World) and Kathy Wakile (Real Housewives of New Jersey) .

The charity she was competing for, was her own charity.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Renee Graziano (Mob Wives), Travis Lofland (Deadliest Catch), Amy Roloff (Little People, Big World) and Kathy Wakile (Real Housewives of New Jersey) .

WOW! I see they are using term celebrities very loosely on that show lol.  

As for the show, I think Chris looks better with his white hair and beard.  I wonder if it was his idea or producers to dye his hair.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

It was a "celebrity" version.  If one of the crab fishermen from Deadliest Catch hadn't helped her, she'd have been up a creek without a paddle.  If what I found online is correct, they'll be replaying it on June 2nd at 2:00 Eastern/1:00 Central.

It was for charity.  Don't remember who won, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Amy.

Let me set that to watch.. thanks for the tip.

I wonder from a TV audience perspective - would it have been better to say you were competing for a charity that did not have your name, as the title.

Most of the NJ housewives do cook. I guess Teresa was too busy to appear as she has supposedly written at least one cookbook.

Not trying to be mean - but for it to be fair - wouldn't the individual kitchen have to be modified a little, at least a set of steps, for Amy? the others would have access to all of the burners, counters, running over to the ice cream machine ... I think the pantry is kinda tall too...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Not trying to be mean - but for it to be fair - wouldn't the individual kitchen have to be modified a little, at least a set of steps, for Amy? the others would have access to all of the burners, counters, running over to the ice cream machine ... I think the pantry is kinda tall too...

There were steps for her.  Otherwise, you'd never have seen her when she was standing behind the counter.  Her major handicap for the show was not her height.  It was the fact that she was a non-creative cook in a cooking contest.

Edited by AZChristian
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 5/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, AZChristian said:

And it would be helpful to know whether she still allows her cat to walk around on the counter.

Right. And didn't she/they allow the dog(s) in the kitchen while meals were being prepared/served? Lots of dander and hair/fur floating around that kitchen. And we all know dogs like to sniff each other's butts. I would never watch a cooking show that features Amy. IMOO

• Love 4
Just now, chenoa333 said:

Right. And didn't she/they allow the dog(s) in the kitchen while meals were being prepared/served? Lots of dander and hair/fur floating around that kitchen. And we all know dogs like to sniff each other's butts. I would never watch a cooking show that features Amy. IMOO

And it was pretty obvious that vacuuming and dusting weren't high on her list of priorities.  

I am short (not as short as Amy, but less than 5 feet tall).  It has always been important to me that my home be organized in such a way that stuff I needed was within reach without stools, etc.  The less I need something, the higher it is in the cupboards/closets.

But . . . even with that . . . we have NEVER had piles of stuff everywhere.  My kids had to maintain an acceptable level of tidiness in their rooms as well.  The closest we came to "piles" was on laundry day.  Once their stuff was washed, dried, and folded, it was neatly stacked at the bottom of the stairway that led up to their rooms.  The rule was that anything on the steps had to be taken up the FIRST time they went upstairs.  And there were always sheets on all the beds.

I had a dear friend who was a paraplegic.  She was in a sledding accident six months after she got married, and lived in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.  She gave birth to two sons, ran a medical transcription service from her home, and was the most gifted craft person I've ever known.  If she saw something, she could duplicate it.  Her home was always tidy.  She had it organized so that she could reach what she needed, and she did 80% of what needed to be done to keep her home clean and neat.  Her sons were trained (necessarily) so that when she was out shopping alone with them, they did/could not wander off.  If they were toddlers, they sat straddled across her legs in the wheelchair.  When they got older, they knew to walk with one hand on the wheelchair at all times.  

All of that to say this:  MANY people have life circumstances that require adjustments to allow optimal success.  People can either behave intelligently to work around those challenges, or they can be complaining slobs.

• Love 15

I have a feeling if Tori was having an average height baby, she would have had a baby shower.  At this point, she appears to be over it and is just going through the motions.

• Love 3

Depending on the community or social customs, many groups only have showers for first babies.  I know some people have them for every baby, but some groups don't.  

• Love 8

I have a question for those who understand genetics better than I do.  Obviously, all of the Roloff kids get their genetic makeup from Matt and Amy.  Do Jeremy, Molly, and Jacob have a higher than average chance of having a LP baby?

2 minutes ago, camom said:

I have a question for those who understand genetics better than I do.  Obviously, all of the Roloff kids get their genetic makeup from Matt and Amy.  Do Jeremy, Molly, and Jacob have a higher than average chance of having a LP baby?

https://dwarfparents.com/chance-having-dwarf-child

This link gives some good information.  Matt and Amy have different types of dwarfism, and that can affect the genetic probabilities for their children and grandchildren.

• Useful 2

Caryn lets Jackson up on the counter too. right between the sink and the stove top which was ON. 

a little person toddler who is top-heavy.

tori does it too.

what is the matter with these people?!?

i see that Caryn is getting a taste of matt ignoring her request to occupy jackson while she is making dinner. First he ignores her while playing on his phone, then he says he is "relaxing", then states some bullshit about how the window of what he can do with his grandchildren is small.

good luck with that, "Cha Cha". This is only the beginning. Lie in that bed you made. He's all yours.

• LOL 6
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Well if anyone wanted to know what Matt was like as a dad of very young children, now we know. 

Yes, and we see Caryn not liking it too much, lol.  Imagine Jackson as twins and his lazy ass not helping.

9 hours ago, Absolom said:

Depending on the community or social customs, many groups only have showers for first babies.  I know some people have them for every baby, but some groups don't.  

Especially if the babies are fairly close together and most of the gear is still in good, safe shape.

• Love 10

I was surprised that Amy was ok with Jackson going with Cha-Cha and Matt as opposed with her. I figured she would jump at the chance of having him all to herself for a day or so.

Being/Visiting at the hospital is only going to last so long with a c-sect.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

what's with taking off Jackson's shirt at dinner - b/c the meal is spaghetti & sauce?

Is it not politically correct to use a bib, old towel/t-shirt, anymore? 

Granted, this is was an informal weeknight in-house dinner, but I guess the thought of him sitting at the table shirtless. was odd to me.

Kudos to Jackson - he did a great job eating his meal !

Edited by sATL
  • Love 13

Well, where to start?  I definitely picked up on some things in this episode and I don't mean intentionsl stuff, but, underlying things that can't be faked.   Such as the way Zach and Tori explained the reason that Jackson was staying with Caryn and Matt for a few days when the baby is born.  Hmm....IDK.  There are some issues there and I'm not sure why.  Didn't Zach say something about his mom having a heavy schedule or something? Hmmmm....

Also, the way Tori explained why her mom is not friends with Amy.  No one says they have to be besties, but, IDK....something seemed odd.  I noticed that Tori's  mom was wearing a Roloff Farm t-shirt in one of the scenes.  Did Matt pay her to do that?  lol  

Once again, I am reminded why that was a really crazy house for this family.  I mean all those levels?  Who would not think of how impractical it is before buying it?  

Caryn saying that she didn't enjoy cooking was such a let down.  I guess you can raise kids and not cook, but, boy what a loss.  Cooking is so enjoyable.  And, it gives you the chance to prepare whole foods in healthy and creative ways. So, do you eat out every night?  I have a few like that  in my extended family .  It has caused a disrupted home life for them and their  family. Screwy schedules, drive thrus and take out.   But, it's not my place to be judgmental about parents  who don't cook., so, I'll leave it at that. lol

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Caryn saying that she didn't enjoy cooking was such a let down.  I guess you can raise kids and not cook, but, boy what a loss.  Cooking is so enjoyable.  And, it gives you the chance to prepare whole foods in healthy and creative ways. So, do you eat out every night?  I have a few like that  in my extended family .  It has caused a disrupted home life for them and their  family. Screwy schedules, drive thrus and take out.   But, it's not my place to be judgmental about parents  who don't cook., so, I'll leave it at that. lol

Lots of people cook but don’t particularly enjoy it, but do it because it’s more economical and practical. I don’t particularly like cooking, I like EATING delicious food and the most economic and practical way to get said delicious food in my belly is to cook it myself! Hahahaha. In my ideal world a chef would make it all and someone else would clean it up and I could just eat it. I have noticed people are surprised I cook as a single Childfree person- like do single childfree people not need to eat???

But yes I am amazed how many people don’t even “prepare food”- for example scramble eggs or prepare pasta, grill protein etc. Caryn may be someone like that, who can prepare foods but is not into “cooking” (taking ingredients in their raw form, breaking them down, seasoning and manipulating them). 

• Love 10

I thought the episode was very boring and next week is the continuation and the season finale.  These people have had babies already, what is the big deal about "baby girl" being born. I guess it is all the fake added drama.   I don't know how Tori and Zach can say Jackson has no problems, are they not seeing his legs?   Matt should have helped with Jackson it's not Caryn's responsibility to take care of his grandson.  Amy got her dig in by referring to Caryn as  " Chi Chi or whatever is it you call her".  Lastly Tori, do you own a pair of shoes?  Please put shoes on!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Maybe Caryn's husband did the cooking.  My son is the cook in his family, and his wife is the baker.

Yes that’s distinctly possible. If you live with another adult it’s possible to split chores by talent and inclination. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Maybe Caryn's husband did the cooking.  My son is the cook in his family, and his wife is the baker.

yeah - I have few friends who do not like cooking. One in particular, remembers her late mom who would spend hours cooking and ultimately cleaning, after each meal for a family of 7. She doesn't want to be that aspect of her mom. She made that clear to boyfriends when they were dating. So yes - they eat out/take-out or he cooks.

Also some dishes are a little quicker to get already cooked - like fried chicken. I cook the sides. I don't like the after smell of many fried foods , chicken and fish being at the top of the list

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Maybe Amy has had her fill of taking care of children and didn't want to have the responsibility of Jackson for several days?  She was notably there when they needed her to be on hand quickly when Tori's water broke.  She was also trying to get input on what meals they wanted her to prepare for after the hospital.

Maybe Matt applied pressure for Jackson to stay with him because he knew it would be featured on an episode?  Amy's had several storylines featured with the move, new house, and engagement.  That might have been Matt's push for a storyline and be seen as the hands on (his phone) grandparent along with Caryn.      

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

When I had kids #2 and #3 my mom came and stayed at my house with the kids (when my husband wasn't there).  Jackson is going to have enough upheaval in his life; being away from his home for several days just adds to that.  Why couldn't someone stay at Zach and Tori's house to be there when Zach isn't.  It's not like Zach is going to be living at the hospital for four days, is he?  I kind of see it as a way for Zach to (once again) not have to do anything.  I was bugged by the way Zach made sure that Amy would be fixing HIS favorite meals, not Tori's.  Amy suggested one chicken dish (fettuccini?) which Tori was enthusiastic about.  But Zach said no, make chicken enchiladas.  Grrr....

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Kudos to Jackson - he did a great job eating his meal !

He sure did! He ate his spaghetti far better than most adults I've seen 🙂

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 10

Zack is Amy's son..for sure!  He cannot and will not comfort his wife during child birth because he is scared of needles.  He won't take care of Jackson when he can pompously designate Matt as the caretaker!  Cha cha is getting a big paycheck so she'll fix spaghetti!

Amy doesn't want to lift and change dirty diapers so she will cook Zacks favorite meals and appear at the hospital for a brief photo shoot!

Nobody has to work and everybody gets paid a healthy sum!

For the Roloffs it seems to work and another season rolls on!

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, camom said:

When I had kids #2 and #3 my mom came and stayed at my house with the kids (when my husband wasn't there).  Jackson is going to have enough upheaval in his life; being away from his home for several days just adds to that.  Why couldn't someone stay at Zach and Tori's house to be there when Zach isn't.  It's not like Zach is going to be living at the hospital for four days, is he?  I kind of see it as a way for Zach to (once again) not have to do anything.  I was bugged by the way Zach made sure that Amy would be fixing HIS favorite meals, not Tori's.  Amy suggested one chicken dish (fettuccini?) which Tori was enthusiastic about.  But Zach said no, make chicken enchiladas.  Grrr....

Zach was being as selfish as Matt was in the grocery store.... Matt suggesting lobster and some fancy cheese wheel ? then it was the milk had to come in a jug and not a carton? Making the situation all about themselves...SMH

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, sATL said:

Zach was being as selfish as Matt was in the grocery store.... Matt suggesting lobster and some fancy cheese wheel ? then it was the milk had to come in a jug and not a carton? Making the situation all about themselves...SMH

Omg Matt was being such a dick in the grocery store. Such a stupid act. Like he even eats stinky cheese or lobsters and scallops on any regular basis. Although Matt IS stinky cheese, so maybe.

Also I noticed Zach didn't kiss Jackson goodbye when he put him in the car seat in the back of Caryn's car. He was just like, okay bye! He's just like his father with that story of him socializing with the nurses and getting attention for himself instead of tending to his wife and newborn son. Dick is as dick does.

I just assumed Jackson was staying with Matt and Caryn because Amy was in the middle of her move and getting the new house ready.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, seasons said:

Tori and her incessant use of the word "like" as a filler is beyond annoying.

just like awful.

like.

SO annoying, I literally (see what I did there?) deleted this episode I’d saved to my DVR after 20 minutes.  I couldn’t like take it like anymore!

Then a couple hours ago after I finished picking up my apartment, my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to watch the whole episode on On Demand.   I was certain Tori had said like at least 100 times by the time I shut it off. Well… As I watched it I wrote down every single time she said it. Anyone want to take a guess? From beginning to end of the episode, Tori said like 85 times! The producers of that show MUST have a talk with her! 

P.S.  Do you think self quarantine has taken its toll on me?  

Was she REALLY a TEACHER?!?

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I'm not a huge Zach fan, but, I didn't see anything about him that was out of the ordinary.  lol  He seemed the same to me. 

I will add that I can see why no one wants to stay in that house.  All those levels would be rather annoying, especially, if you have short legs or limited mobility.  I guess Zach and his bad back adjusted.  

I agree about the description of Jackson had no issues is off.  Will his legs grow straighter without surgery? Hmm....IDK, but, that is very obvious.  I would think it would cause hip pain. 

I don't take issue with them making money from the show.  It's a form of income that pays the bills.  I mean, it's reality tv, so, everyone knows it isn't real, right?  lol 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Gee, Matt. Your grandson who you dote on is running all around while “Cha Cha”  is trying to prepare dinner. I know you can’t chase him, but put down the damn phone and engage him!! Tell him a story! Hold him in your lap! 

I did like Amy’s passive aggressive dig at “Chi Chi” though. Also, Amy loves to cook. “Chi Chi” doesn’t. She’s the anti Amy! 

With respect to Tori not wearing shoes- she was in her ninth month of a difficult pregnancy and her feet were probably swollen. I give her a pass. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

I enjoyed the camera crew following Jackson around while his parents and Amy were ignoring him. They caught the dog eating trash, too. I take this as their way of letting the viewer know that they don’t necessarily approve of what they are seeing and that they, if no one else, are on top of potential trouble. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

So it’s just dawning on Tori and Zack that some of their life choice were done impulsively.  The house with 11 levels?  The giant dog who hasn’t been properly trained?  The choice to keep having kids despite the risks?

That house was a ridiculous choice for a family with LP’s.  The kids may be able to acclimate and climb, but Zack’s agility and past hip and back issues are only going to keep deteriorating with age. Tori better plan on moving her master bedroom to the 1st floor as she gets older, or become a stair climbing master since she’ll be the only one running up and down that Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse they bought.

And if Tori and Zack want to have 12 kids, that’s their choice. However it seems Tori has had some difficulties with both pregnancies, and C-section recovery is long and hard on her. Hopefully Jackson, Lilah and other children (LP and average height) will have minimal health issues.  

Murphy may be a sweet ball of fluff, but he doesn’t know his own size.  I don’t think he would ever hurt the kids on purpose.  He has free reign of the house (downstairs anyway), and should be trained to listen to Zack’s commands as well as Tori’s.  They should take him to obedience classes to teach Murphy how to sit/heel/come. Jackson and Lilah shouldn’t have to run for cover or hug the walls when Murphy is roaming around.  He is a pet, and a member of the family but Murphy needs some guidance.

• Love 13
On 5/9/2020 at 7:11 AM, outtahere said:

I can see her having a "chat while cooking" show on the new Magnolia channel where someone else does the real cooking.  And I think a Say Yes to The Dress episode is in her future.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

With respect to Tori not wearing shoes- she was in her ninth month of a difficult pregnancy and her feet were probably swollen. I give her a pass. 

I have seen her not wearing shoes numerous times and she was not 9 months pregnant.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

SO annoying, I literally (see what I did there?) deleted this episode I’d saved to my DVR after 20 minutes.  I couldn’t like take it like anymore!

Then a couple hours ago after I finished picking up my apartment, my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to watch the whole episode on On Demand.   I was certain Tori had said like at least 100 times by the time I shut it off. Well… As I watched it I wrote down every single time she said it. Anyone want to take a guess? From beginning to end of the episode, Tori said like 85 times! The producers of that show MUST have a talk with her! 

P.S.  Do you think self quarantine has taken its toll on me?  

Was she REALLY a TEACHER?!?

Lol, great post. I was going to count the Tori "likes" too! 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4