Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

I think the boys are total opportunists. They know they can benefit more from Matt (farm, fantasy playground equipment, television show about farm and fantasy playground equipment, pumpkin amusement park) than they can from Amy and if there is any perceived gravitation away from Amy, that is a big part of the reason why. Also I think there is a dose of good old fashioned gender inequality going on. What's good for the gander is not okay for the goose, in other words I think there is some resentment that Amy and Chris got engaged because Chris is newer and an outsider where Caryn Janice Rossi 2R is a known entity and has been around (Matt's desk) for quite a while. I don't think it's fair. I like Chris and I like Amy and I like them together. Those damn kids should be equally enthusiastic and happy for their mother as they are for Matt and Janice. I hope Amy and Chris make a really nice place for themselves away from the farm. I feel for Amy because she's pretty much phasing out and that has to be really hard for her regardless of whatever bullshit is going on there, Matt and his whole Disney Dad routine. I still think Caryn gets off on Matt operating the big machinery.

I liked the prom idea. It's fun and light hearted. I *did go to my prom but it was kind of awkward. I remember our colors were blue and silver and somehow we had red, yellow and white flowers (?) Adult prom is so much more fun because there are no rules or teachers waiting for you to mess up 🙂 Plus I would love to wear my prom dress again - it is a gorgeous beaded 1920s dress and I love it so much. Very avant garde for 30 years ago when everyone was wearing Jessica McClintock and Flirtations by Alfred Angelo 😄 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder how much those PRIVATE tours and photo sessions with the family cost?

$300.  I've actually been tempted to do it.  (Don't judge me.  I've even stayed at Lizzie's B&B from Sisterwives.)

My only hangup is that visitors don't get to choose which of the Roloffs will lead their tour.  There are a couple of them that I do NOT want to spend time with.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, AZChristian said:

$300.  I've actually been tempted to do it.  (Don't judge me.  I've even stayed at Lizzie's B&B from Sisterwives.)

My only hangup is that visitors don't get to choose which of the Roloffs will lead their tour.  There are a couple of them that I do NOT want to spend time with.

actually I thought hired help gave the tours off-camera...mainly b/c there would be several tours going on , one behind each other , at different times, and there are only so many Roloffs.

Is the youngest son really part of the family business? I'm trying to remember if he did anything - more or less than his older brothers..

And Zach needs to update his tour script. last night he took a group and pointed to a wooded area , stating that is where the tree house used to be? So basically the guests are looking at trees...

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, sATL said:

actually I thought hired help gave the tours off-camera...mainly b/c there would be several tours going on , one behind each other , at different times, and there are only so many Roloffs.

Is the youngest son really part of the family business? I'm trying to remember if he did anything - more or less than his older brothers..

There's probably not a LOT of people who would shell out $300.  They do have large tours during the Pumpkin Farm season.  We've seen them load tons of people onto a conveyance for a tour and chance to choose a pumpkin.

The private tours are available year-round, and are advertised as "The 30-minute, unique tour will be guided by Matt, Zachary, Amy or Jeremy who will share fun stories and current tidbits going on at the farm. A hello and photo opportunity may be available with other family members who happen to be at the farm."

They are scheduled in advance at a specific time, so it sounds like if they did have multiple tours on one day, they would be spaced out to give each visitor group a private tour.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

In June, Amy’s mother was admitted to the hospital.

Chris proposed on September 14th.
Her mom passed in September 24th.

The memorial was October 24th.

That’s the timeline. I don’t recall any posts about the prom.

Thanks for this! It's always so hard to tell how the actual timing happened IRL.

• Love 1

I guess I like proms for older adults, because, I got a Fundie prom.  Well, if you can call it that. lol  

Matt's mobility is really declining.  I can see why he's worried about his ability to keep up with pumpkin season.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

've actually been tempted to do it.  (Don't judge me.  I've even stayed at Lizzie's B&B from Sisterwives.)

Wow, how was it?  I read it is nice and Meri's mom is very sweet.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LucyEth said:

Wow, how was it?  I read it is nice and Meri's mom is very sweet.  

It was very nice, and Bonnie IS very sweet.  I've posted about it on the SW threads.  

Best breakfast we've ever had at a B&B.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, sATL said:

Chris - you cleaned up pretty good !

image.png.40ff4c2e2813302531bbc65fd016196a.png

I don't know if I have ever seen someone look so unrecognizable with a different hair colour/style and no facial hair. That said, I 100 percent prefer Chris with the white/grey shaggy hair, and beard/mustache. I have always thought that Chris is a good looking guy. The Chris that showed up at the prom I would never have looked at twice. 

One thing I love about Chris is how openly affectionate he is with Amy. I laughed when they were getting into position for the family photo, and Amy was sitting between Chris' legs on the same bale of straw. Zach tried to get Chris to move to the higher level above Amy, and Amy cut Zach off saying they were fine just where they were. Good for you, Amy! 

I have always noticed that Caryn is affectionate with Matt, but he never returns her affection. Obviously it isn't something he is comfortable with, but it makes me almost feel sorry for Caryn. It is hard when you are an openly affectionate person to be with someone who isn't. 

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The Chris that showed up at the prom I would never have looked at twice. 

Really?  I thought he looked great and younger.  I wish he'd ditch the beard.  I'm not a fan of facial hair.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I don't know if I have ever seen someone look so unrecognizable with a different hair colour/style and no facial hair. That said, I 100 percent prefer Chris with the white/grey shaggy hair, and beard/mustache. I have always thought that Chris is a good looking guy. The Chris that showed up at the prom I would never have looked at twice. 

One thing I love about Chris is how openly affectionate he is with Amy. I laughed when they were getting into position for the family photo, and Amy was sitting between Chris' legs on the same bale of straw. Zach tried to get Chris to move to the higher level above Amy, and Amy cut Zach off saying they were fine just where they were. Good for you, Amy! 

I have always noticed that Caryn is affectionate with Matt, but he never returns her affection. Obviously it isn't something he is comfortable with, but it makes me almost feel sorry for Caryn. It is hard when you are an openly affectionate person to be with someone who isn't. 

I agree, I like shaggy Chris better 🙂 Also regarding Caryn, I think part of the relationship with Matt is that it's a very obvious FU to Amy, having been his employee on the farm for years, and he likes playing that game. Once Amy and Chris are gone and settled into their new life together off the farm, I wonder if Caryn will be as much fun for Matt. I don't think Matt will ever ask Caryn to marry him. Caryn might think so but I highly doubt that was ever going to be Matt's endgame.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Really?  I thought he looked great and younger.  I wish he'd ditch the beard.  I'm not a fan of facial hair.

I have mentioned this before, he looks like Julian Assange.  Chris seems like a decent guy, but I don't find him good looking at all.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Coloring hair - sucks if you have had to do it for 30+ years.

Yup. Especially if your hair is pure white like Chris'. The white roots start to pop out after 2 weeks so you are constantly touching up with color. A real PITA. I don't know any men that dye their hair. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Yup. Especially if your hair is pure white like Chris'. The white roots start to pop out after 2 weeks so you are constantly touching up with color. A real PITA. I don't know any men that dye their hair. 

side-note. BIG PITA. due to business closings/personal preference on social distance, I am going to have to attempt to DIY a 30+ year hair service.  Feel kinda foolish I am totally dependent upon someone else, mixing color brands/potions, unknown to me ,in a bowl,  to get back to the hair color that is on my birth certificate...

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

You'd want to tell Amy to be more positive, yank Audrey's hair, and hit Matt over the head with a crutch.

I like older Chris better. His "young" version looks like  a taller version of Niles on The Nanny.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

A vineyard in Oregon? Does the climate allow for that there? It's rainy and cold, I thought California, Italy, France, Spain had the better climate for vineyards. What do I know. 

I'm no expert but I think they'll be fine

I have friends who live in BC which is further north than Oregon and they have a lot of vineyards and they produce a lot of very nice wine.

We've gone on wine tours there in the summer and it's very much like the wine tours we've been on in California.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

I'm no expert but I think they'll be fine

I have friends who live in BC which is further north than Oregon and they have a lot of vineyards and they produce a lot of very nice wine.

We've gone on wine tours there in the summer and it's very much like the wine tours we've been on in California.

I googled and it looks like Oregon does have some wineries. I live in the Okanagan Valley in B.C., and we have hundreds of wineries here. But then our climate in this part of B.C. is more like California -  dry, and hot in the summer. Very different than Vancouver and area which is more like Seattle, and Portland, with a lot of rain. There are some wineries in Vancouver area and on Vancouver Island, but the valley where I live has by far the most in B.C. 

I can't imagine that Matt would want to get into growing grapes to start a winery at this stage of his life. It takes quite a few years as well to get a winery to the stage where they are producing wine to sell. Matt has shown for awhile now that he is ready to take it easier - understandably. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, LucyEth said:

The prom, there are no words

Well I have words and none of them are good!  😂

Besides the obvious stupidity and ridiculous costumes... 

Why does Amy always dance like an idiot?

I don't know what the hell is going on in her mind but the arms in the air swaying around with her eyes closed looks ridiculous... for goodness sake just dance like a normal human... I don't know why she always does that drugged out hippie flower child shit with her arms in the air...she looks like a moron.

She's all about..."Dance like no one is watching" but the problem is we're watching!  😲

Chris's face looked like a turtle with double chins.... He obviously uses the facial hair to hide his chins and gross teeth... I used to wonder how he could kiss Amy with her lack of dental hygiene but now it makes sense.... His teeth are just as yellow as hers.

Amy's friend Lisa needs a makeover...The 50's called and they want their Marilyn Monroe blonde bombshell hair back!

• LOL 10
  • Love 4

The prom was lame imo.

guarantee it was a cash bar for the "beer and wine" amy mentioned. I didnt see any food ( "heavy apps" ? As amy called them) or drinks on any of the tables. The "food" she referred to was a shot of what looked like store bought mini cupcakes and brownies.

who was the singer dude? Never heard of him.

amy knew all those people there? Mmkay.

super lame.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I don't know what the hell is going on in her mind but the arms in the air swaying around with her eyes closed looks ridiculous... for goodness sake just dance like a normal human... I don't know why she always does that drugged out hippie flower child shit with her arms in the air...she looks like a moron.

Amy dances like Ed Grimley in slow motion

CompleteAgedAgama-max-1mb.gif

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, sATL said:

wondered what happened between the two dates.. from a funeral/burial perspective. 

from ( link

"I wish she could've seen my kids and her grandkids and her great-grandkids a little more often," Amy Roloff says of her late mother, who died in September"

-----

I know families are complicated , and traveling can cumbersome, but a reality star, even if its TLC, should have the $$ and time to travel from OR to MI, at least once off season. And before the illness(-es) - her parents couldn't fly out, on Amy's coin ? Amy's been an empty nester for years... she couldn't go out by herself, with an album full of pictures, to catch up the parents?

Secondly, even if you can't be there in person, the mail with pkgs full of timely pictures and good old fashioned telephone call (good news & bad news) still works...

I'm not going to pass judgement on Amy and her relationship with her family but coming from a dysfunctional family I can say that when a parent dies and your relationship with siblngs is not great or complicated at best, funeral or burial arrangements can be difficult. We don't know if one of her siblings or her father was making the decisions and told Amy that everything was already taken care of and just come up for the memorial service. As for visitng her mom...also, we don't know what transpired while she was in the hospital.Perhaps they told her not to come up or that they would call her if she needed to come up....who knows. My mom was admitted to a hospital and my brother, who lived near her, never told me. I found out from my stepmother and a day later my mom passed. I don't think Amy was a bad daughter...her mother and father didn't seem all warm and fuzzy to me. They seemed a little quirky and off putting...especially compared to Matt's parents... Matt's mom is just about the sweetest lady ever. Every family has its issues and unresolved hurts and wounds. I'm sure Amy's was no different.

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

It appears that they don't have speaking roles on the show any more.  

They actually quit the show saying they didn't want to film anymore...

• Love 10
22 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

A vineyard in Oregon? Does the climate allow for that there? It's rainy and cold, I thought California, Italy, France, Spain had the better climate for vineyards. What do I know. 

There's miles and miles of vineyards if you drive from east of Cleveland to Buffalo NY, going right thru the snow belt. Scorching sun in the summer and freezing snow by the foot doesn't seem to harm them. My Italian grandparents had a little patch of grapes growing in their yard, in the Cleveland area, when I was a kid. But I honestly think they had stopped doing anything with he grapes years before I was born. I never once remember them even being picked, but my grandfather had a HUGE garden farther back that he grew all sorts of veggies on that he actually did pay attention to. 

22 hours ago, sATL said:

Chris - you cleaned up pretty good !

image.png.40ff4c2e2813302531bbc65fd016196a.png

I think he looks sooo much better with the grey and a bit of scruff. He could stand to keep the hair a bit shorter, it just looks sloppy at the grey length. I can't imagine him going to have root touchups every 2 weeks to keep a color up. And I certainly wouldn't let Amy try to keep it up for him. 

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

No one has mentioned this, but, did anyone notice how the family sort of seemed like they didn't want to sit too close to Amy and Chris when they had that family photo shoot?  Maybe, it was the photographer who was directing them to move around, but, it seemed off to me.  Plus, they were not as close together as the rest of the group.  Hmmm......

I think Zack was trying to get them to maybe move in a bit, but Amy wanted no part of it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Amy's friend Lisa needs a makeover...The 50's called and they want their Marilyn Monroe blonde bombshell hair back!

that's another point... what happened to getting hair/nails/makeup done professionally for prom? Maybe one didn't do so in HS , but there is no reason not to do so as an adult.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

There's miles and miles of vineyards if you drive from east of Cleveland to Buffalo NY, going right thru the snow belt. Scorching sun in the summer and freezing snow by the foot doesn't seem to harm them. My Italian grandparents had a little patch of grapes growing in their yard, in the Cleveland area, when I was a kid. But I honestly think they had stopped doing anything with he grapes years before I was born. I never once remember them even being picked, but my grandfather had a HUGE garden farther back that he grew all sorts of veggies on that he actually did pay attention to. 

I think he looks sooo much better with the grey and a bit of scruff. He could stand to keep the hair a bit shorter, it just looks sloppy at the grey length. I can't imagine him going to have root touchups every 2 weeks to keep a color up. And I certainly wouldn't let Amy try to keep it up for him. 

I think Zack was trying to get them to maybe move in a bit, but Amy wanted no part of it. 

Oh, I didn't realize that. It seemed the others were trying to avoid sitting next to them.  

I liked Amy's prom dress, but, I thought that she needed help with the hair and makeup.  She has looked much better in that regard. 

Maybe Amy's family didn't want Amy and her film crew filming during their private time of funeral and memorial service.

I have an idea making money means everything to Amy.  I think She would chose a paycheck over everybody.  I also guess she's a bit of a tightwad with her money.

Without Matt and Roloff farms Amy's cup is empty.

I still can't stop thinking about that bright Lemon fudge she is trying to sell!  It gives me nightmares and I'm a huge fudge fan!

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Maybe Amy's family didn't want Amy and her film crew filming during their private time of funeral and memorial service.

I have an idea making money means everything to Amy.  I think She would chose a paycheck over everybody.  I also guess she's a bit of a tightwad with her money.

I still can't stop thinking about that bright Lemon fudge she is trying to sell!  It gives me nightmares and I'm a huge fudge fan!

Hubby-to-be Chris should have some money.  Working adult, no ex-wives or children digging into his pot of gold.

That long-time poker buddy of his might be a little financially draining...

Being a mature bride, I would hope Amy is financially aware of getting married "for poorer" and would lean toward the "for richer" side than what Matt was/is. They (Amy & Chris) got a few years to go before they can start drawing social security & 401k funds.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Not sure if that's true. She has her book sales, the stuff she promotes on social media and does speaking engagements and let's not forget the money she makes from the show. She's doing fine without Matt. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I'm not going to pass judgement on Amy and her relationship with her family but coming from a dysfunctional family I can say that when a parent dies and your relationship with siblngs is not great or complicated at best, funeral or burial arrangements can be difficult. We don't know if one of her siblings or her father was making the decisions and told Amy that everything was already taken care of and just come up for the memorial service. As for visitng her mom...also, we don't know what transpired while she was in the hospital.Perhaps they told her not to come up or that they would call her if she needed to come up....who knows. My mom was admitted to a hospital and my brother, who lived near her, never told me. I found out from my stepmother and a day later my mom passed. I don't think Amy was a bad daughter...her mother and father didn't seem all warm and fuzzy to me. They seemed a little quirky and off putting...especially compared to Matt's parents... Matt's mom is just about the sweetest lady ever. Every family has its issues and unresolved hurts and wounds. I'm sure Amy's was no different.

They actually quit the show saying they didn't want to film anymore...

Not to mention that with Amy's parents' advanced ages, they may have already had arrangements made ahead of time.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Not to mention that with Amy's parents' advanced ages, they may have already had arrangements made ahead of time.

Still, you show up for support. Grieving father, siblings to be with, etc......

• Love 5
19 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Most just buy a bad toupee and plop it on top of their head - ala David from 90 Day Fiancee.

12 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Well I have words and none of them are good!  😂

Besides the obvious stupidity and ridiculous costumes... 

Why does Amy always dance like an idiot?

She's all about..."Dance like no one is watching" but the problem is we're watching!  😲

Chris's face looked like a turtle with double chins.... He obviously uses the facial hair to hide his chins and gross teeth... I used to wonder how he could kiss Amy with her lack of dental hygiene but now it makes sense.... His teeth are just as yellow as hers.

Loved everything about your comments.

So Television Without Pity!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Now that I think about it, there are also vineyards in Ontario, Canada around the Niagara region.  They are quite successful. 

I wonder if Chris' hair was either a wig, or a rinse rather than a dye job? There is no indication that he kept the colour/style (I guess we will know next week) for any length of time and I have never seen a pic of him without the grey hair/facial hair. I am not on instagram, but people here do posts pics from there and after the time this episode was filmed, Chris had the grey hair, and regrew the beard/mustache. 

Zack was trying to get Chris to move to the bale of straw above Amy. Amy said nope, they were fine where they were, with Amy and Chris sitting together on the same bale. Loved it! 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Still, you show up for support. Grieving father, siblings to be with, etc......

She did...she went to the memorial service. I do think the optics were bad with her "prom" being such a priority. Actually the whole "prom" thing was just stupid. That could have been postponed and rescheduled for a future date. And gee...what a shocker that Amy and Chris were chosen as Prom Queen and King.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 5/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, BusyOctober said:

.but Amy repeatedly telling the camera and her family and friends that she “has soooo much going on in my life right now” that she didn’t think she could find an hour to show up in for Pumpkin Season made me want to scream!

If she was not complaining about something or snarking about her ex, she would never talk.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 5/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, jumper sage said:

Prom was stupid in my mind.  That's what reunions are for. 

Except it wasn't a class reunion. It was a party of their friends, who didn't go to school together.  It's not my idea of a good time but They had a blast and that's all that matters. 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I agree! Chris looks way better with the gray/white hair and beard. But that was a great surprise for Amy. I wonder how long it took for that hair color to wash out. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Every time I see it, I just can't stop thinking about how gross it sounds. A little lemon goes a long way and it looks like a slab of soap. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Please say more 😉.

yes please elaborate,

a friend of mine had a fundie prom but she put a flask of booze in her purse and did shots in the washroom which didn't really help that much because the music was fundie too so there wasn't a lot of dancing, she left early and went to a private party with friends. 😋

Just a little PSA Oregon has over 500 wineries and makes pretty delicious wine. Especially known for Pinot Noir. I’m shocked people don’t know this but I probably didn’t either before I moved here!

https://www.oregonwinecountry.org/

back to show, growing vines and making “Roloff” wines screams Caryn to me. Not sure how much longer this show can last focusing on Matt, Caryn, Amy and Chris. Tori and Zach seem so over it and like it’s painful for them to have to do anything 

• Love 4

I didn't mind the prom.  A bunch of friends who grew up in the 80s having an 80s themed prom looked kind of fun for them.  I liked how they got into the spirit of things with their dress, hair, etc.  It might not be for everyone, but seemed good for that group.  I'm in the camp that likes Chris better with the gray hair and facial hair.  Without the beard his face looked puffy.  And the hair color looked kind of like the spray on stuff.

• Love 7
On 5/7/2020 at 10:09 AM, bichonblitz said:

Not sure if that's true. She has her book sales, the stuff she promotes on social media and does speaking engagements and let's not forget the money she makes from the show. She's doing fine without Matt. 

Matt is the show!  If he left Amy could not carry it off.  Amy's little kitchen can't be doing much and book sale must be off with the 25% off sale.  I think most of her wealth came from marrying Matt who has always had the vision of success.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Matt is the show!  If he left Amy could not carry it off.  Amy's little kitchen can't be doing much and book sale must be off with the 25% off sale.  I think most of her wealth came from marrying Matt who has always had the vision of success.

She is registered with several companies that book speakers for events.  Having read all the misrepresentations advertised in the topics she addresses, I'm not interested.

Really?  She's going to teach people how to raise their kids?  She's going to talk about the loving home in which she was raised?  (Have you ever seen her father online?  No?  Look up "most critical person on earth" in the dictionary.  His picture is right there.)  Did you know that she lives in Oregon on a farm that she runs?

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I assumed prom was merely a producer driven storyline for the show.

I also don't think Amy's parents are/were easy people.  Seems understandable Amy couldn't or wouldn't simply stay back in Michigan indefinitely because her mom's health declined.  I don't think they knew definitively if she would last months or a year or more.   Once Amy couldn't be there to say goodbye I'm not sure there was great need to rush to Michigan.  The memorial may have been scheduled when most convenient to the family, including Amy and her shooting schedule.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Right now Matt, Caryn, Amy, Chris, Zach and Tori are the show. Not just Matt. If Amy left I don't think Matt could carry the show, either. It's a package deal.  I don't see anything that is so interesting about Matt at all. Watching him build toys for his grand kids isn't exactly must see TV. 

• Love 18