Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

According to Amy, she and Matt still own “the big house”, and that property.

So why did she need to get out of the house?  If she still owns half the property, couldn't she just pay him some sort of rent to stay there or did they agree they are selling that property and splitting the profits?

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

So why did she need to get out of the house?  If she still owns half the property, couldn't she just pay him some sort of rent to stay there or did they agree they are selling that property and splitting the profits?

I don't think so.  At the divorce Amy got the big house but this season she sold it to him and moved on to her second chapter while retaining the Roloff name from her first chapter!  Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't think so.  At the divorce Amy got the big house but this season she sold it to him and moved on to her second chapter while retaining the Roloff name from her first chapter!  Lol

OK I'm really confused, there's 2 sides... The DW side where Matt lives and the Farmhouse side where Amy lived, she sold him her half of the DW side so he now owns it 100% but they still co-own the farmhouse side.

The DW side is 100 acres and the farmhouse side is 35 acres.

Did she sell him her half of the farmhouse side as well and when did that happen?

• Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

No it just took her a while to find a place after selling her half of the DW side because she kept bidding low and losing the houses.  She still owns half of the big house side.

Yes she still owns part of the big house side land but no longer owns the big house.  That's why Matt was building his "wall"!  Lol.   A small piece of land must have gone with the house.

Remember Amy whining about it being too much for her to maintain.  Remember Matt having the inspections so he could see if there was any damage since he's been gone.

Matt got the DR side from the divorce.  He got the big house buying it from Amy.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yes she still owns part of the big house side land but no longer owns the big house.  That's why Matt was building his "wall"!  Lol.   A small piece of land must have gone with the house.

Remember Amy whining about it being too much for her to maintain.  Remember Matt having the inspections so he could see if there was any damage since he's been gone.

Matt got the DR side from the divorce.  He got the big house buying it from Amy.

Wow that would mean the big house side was subdivided and that's not cheap to do and I've never heard them saying anything about subdividing that property.

55 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

They both owned the whole farm together after the divorce.  That whole brangle of last season was Amy selling Matt her half the DW side.

• Love 4

The wall is to separate the DW side — which Matt owns alone — from the big house side — which they own jointly.  Amy still owns half the big house side even though she chose to move from the big house.  She could have stayed if she wished.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

sorry for the late post on this sub-topic but this episode is airing again.. Chris showed off this stool, that is too short with just the one step, that he found online as if he discovered the a major ancient treasure. Some sense would have been to bring a stool over from the big house - one that Amy is used to using.

Any guesses on how much he shelled out  for this great online buy? I hope it at least came with free shipping.

image.png.88ca35ea1c05c3cf1a51cb83d2aa35b8.png

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Wow that would mean the big house side was subdivided and that's not cheap to do and I've never heard them saying anything about subdividing that property.

The initial property and house,  was 34 acres, and that’s what they still own together. They purchased more  property after that. So, perhaps subdividing was not necessary.

🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The initial property and house,  was 34 acres, and that’s what they still own together. They purchased more  property after that. So, perhaps subdividing was not necessary.

🤷🏼‍♀️

That's not what I was talking about... I know that the big house is on 34 acres

I was addressing what @Jeanne222 was saying.... she said that Amy sold the big house to Matt.... No property just the house itself.... and that now all she owns is half the 34 acre property... NO HOUSE and that's why she had to move... It's Matt's house.

So I was just speculating that maybe they subdivided the 34 acres and left the big house on a much smaller piece of property but that doesn't seem to be the case because property records show it as still being on a 34 acre parcel of land.

3 hours ago, sATL said:

sorry for the late post on this sub-topic but this episode is airing again.. Chris showed off this stool, that is too short with just the one step, that he found online as if he discovered the a major ancient treasure. Some sense would have been to bring a stool over from the big house - one that Amy is used to using.

Any guesses on how much he shelled out  for this great online buy? I hope it at least came with free shipping.

image.png.88ca35ea1c05c3cf1a51cb83d2aa35b8.png

That whole scene was ridiculous, the Roloff's make their own step stools designed for use by little people.

The other LP families on TLC use Roloff stools because they are perfect height and width for little people but production just has to push the idea that Chris is the perfect man.

The stool Chris bought was stupid, it's barely enough room for her feet and it wasn't nearly high enough.... he would have been better off to just buy a step stool at Ikea, I have an Ikea stool to reach the cupboards over the fridge and it's a lot like the Roloff stool design.... Nice and wide for both feet and it's higher than the pathetic stool that Chris bought.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Ok...I missed the beginning of this episode but what is Matt doing in this scene, and why doesn’t he have a shirt on?

2F10DD25-D43E-459B-821D-6F7A000CC944.thumb.jpeg.231af6c5d4ec07073154010a02f582a6.jpeg

IIRC he's in a sweat box or sauna and he was going all Zen.... 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, DonnaMae said:

Hmm, I've always said groshery, and I grew up in the Midwest.  🤨

Canada here, and everyone I know says groshery. I don't think I've ever heard someone say grosseries. Although my BFF always says food shopping. On topic - will we get to see Bode's birth?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

On topic - will we get to see Bode's birth?

Had Jer and Auj already "withdrawn" from being filmed by the time Bode was born?

(I put "withdrawn" in quotes because it is my suspicion that TLC realized none of them were Little People, so they no longer fit the theme of the show.  Not to mention they were boring.  I think they were told, "Thanks for your participation.  Good-bye.")

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

Canada here, and everyone I know says groshery. I don't think I've ever heard someone say grosseries. Although my BFF always says food shopping. On topic - will we get to see Bode's birth?

Do you say shereal for cereal and shelery for celery?  It’s the same soft c sound.

(edited)

Another Canadian here who pronounces it groshery as does every other Canadian person I know, including our media, such as tv and radio ads, etc.

18 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do you say shereal for cereal and shelery for celery?  It’s the same soft c sound.

No.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Another Canadian here who pronounces it groshery as does every other Canadian person I know, including our media, such as tv and radio ads, etc.

No. 

Odd to do it in one instance then. Kinda like more people say miss-chee-vee-us than the correct way.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Odd to do it in one instance then. Kinda like more people say miss-chee-vee-us than the correct way.

Then I guess we are a country of idiots for not pronouncing it the correct way.  Our apologies. LOL.   😏

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Then I guess we are a country of idiots for not pronouncing it the correct way.  Our apologies. LOL.   😏

Haha I don’t really care just think it’s odd to add an imaginary letter in the middle of the word.  I found some people who are zealots though:

I've not heard it with anything but a nice clear "s" sound in my region (US Midwest). If I heard "groshery", I'd assume that person was impaired or had loose-fitting dentures in all honesty. – Kristina Lopez Apr 8 '15 at 13:52

In well-spoken American English, the words “grocery” and “groceries” are pronounced in two ways:

Gro-sir-re (in three syllables) Gros-re (in two syllables).

You can hear those pronunciations over the internet in audio pronunciation websites.

Most of these give a three-syllable pronunciation of "grocery" and "groceries".

I am a native Los Angeles resident. I pronounce “grocery” and “groceries” in the two-syllable way, gros-re(s).

This is MY opinion. There is NO “sha” in the words “grocery” and “groceries”. The “c” is pronounced as a soft “c” with an “s” sound.

This is MY opinion. The pronunciation “groshary” is incorrect. I think that mis-pronunciation implies the individual has a speech impediment (a lisp or a stutter), has loose or missing teeth, is just learning to speak English, or is pronouncing those words in a patois or slang. It is not the main-stream educated American English oral form of the word. 3:51 p.m. PDT

• Love 1

Copied from the online dictionary:

/ˈɡrōs(ə)rē

/ˈsel(ə)rē/

I'm originally from Baltimore.  The mispronunciation of words is a competitive sport there.  It's a regional thing.  Canada is a different region from L.A.  

This conversation might need to go to "Small Talk" rather than "All Episodes Talk."  

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Copied from the online dictionary:

/ˈɡrōs(ə)rē

/ˈsel(ə)rē/

I'm originally from Baltimore.  The mispronunciation of words is a competitive sport there.  It's a regional thing.  Canada is a different region from L.A.  

This conversation might need to go to "Small Talk" rather than "All Episodes Talk."  

It did start with Amy mispronouncing it, like she does with so many words.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Amy sold the big house to Matt.  That's why she moved to the new house.  On Matt's  fb page he talks about having it cleaned and painted!

well that explains a lot, I was wondering why she had to move... it's Matt's house..GET OUT! 😂

I wonder what Matt will do with that place, maybe Jer & Auj will take it over.

• LOL 1

They co-owned the house before she moved and they continued to co-own it after she moved.  She did not own the house and did not sell it to Matt.  She was not forced to move, she chose to move because she didn’t want to live in such close proximity to Matt and Caryn.

• Love 1

Matt owned the Dw and Amy owned the big house per the divorce.  Amy wanted to move off the land and no longer wanted the expense of big house and maintenance.

So Mart had  a home inspection done and then purchased the home from Amy.

Now Matt has had it cleaned and painted.

Matt's building another home for himself and Caryn.  We'll wait and see what he decides to do with the big house now that it is his!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Matt owned the Dw and Amy owned the big house per the divorce. 

Not really what happened.  They kept the farm business intact with the divorce along with the TV show.  They were both co-owners of all the property they had at the time of the divorce.  The divorce papers are available online or at least were at the time of the divorce. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Not really what happened.  They kept the farm business intact with the divorce along with the TV show.  They were both co-owners of all the property they had at the time of the divorce.  The divorce papers are available online or at least were at the time of the divorce. 

They are still available online.  I just looked at them.  If the house is owned by Roloff Farms, Inc., or one of their other joint business ventures, it is still owned by both of them, as it does not appear that Matt has bought out Amy's interest in the corporation.  There is no specific real estate mentioned in the decree, so the assumption is that the real estate is owned by the corporation(s) with a 50/50 split.

It is my assumption that the little separate piece where the DW sits was negotiated for after the divorce and is what Matt bought out Amy's interest in, so he fully owns the DW and its land.  Perhaps that's where he and Caryn will build the new house he refers to.

Matt AND Amy still own the rest of the property and the big house.  Amy probably took the money from selling her interest in the DW property to use as a down payment on her new house.  But the reason she can take her own sweet time to move out of the big house is that it's still half hers.  They probably have - or will - negotiate having Matt buy out Amy's interest in the big house, possibly separating its ownership from the Roloff Farms, Inc. corporate partnership.

We just watched the Zack/Tori/Jackson/baby review episode last night.  I haven't watched any of the shows in years.  I was pleasantly surprised at Zack's adaptation to adulthood.  He and Tori seem to really love each other, and there's no doubt they love their kids.  Goodness knows I wouldn't have wanted people watching me on a TV show as I negotiated the new life of parenthood.  I was very young when we had our kids, and I wasn't very good at being a mom.  I'm glad that hasn't been documented for eternity, so I was able to learn and get better without the world watching.

Edited by AZChristian
Typos, added thought.
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Matt owned the Dw and Amy owned the big house per the divorce.  Amy wanted to move off the land and no longer wanted the expense of big house and maintenance.

So Mart had  a home inspection done and then purchased the home from Amy.

Now Matt has had it cleaned and painted.

Matt's building another home for himself and Caryn.  We'll wait and see what he decides to do with the big house now that it is his!

I can't wait to see what kind of house Matt will build for himself and Caryn 

In the meantime it will be interesting to see if Matt moves into the big house or if it will be sold...One of Matt's main complaints about the big house was that Amy had the cabinets painted white, I wonder if he had them stripped back to the original wood finish as part of the painting and cleaning?

This season sucked, it was all about the proposal of the century *snore* and lilahs birth but next season could be interesting with the possibility of major changes around the farm and we won't have to watch Amy being snotty to Matt every time she sticks her nose out the door.

I wish they'd concentrate on Roloff Farms and Zack's family... I've seen enough of Amy and her fake fiance to last me a lifetime. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Does the farmhouse still have the lower counters in the kitchens and baths? Amy had that kitchen remodeled to accommodate her needs, if I remember correctly. 

I think as far as we know it's still the way Amy left it... 

Matt posted to IG that he had the house cleaned and painted... No mention of any renovations.

• Love 2

I prefer single story homes, so my prejudice may be showing, but I can't figure out why little people seem to insist on houses with stairs (this show, 7 Little Johnstons, Little Couple, etc.)  I would have thought Amy would look for single story when she bought a new home.  it's not like she needs tons of space.

• Love 5
On 6/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, camom said:

I prefer single story homes, so my prejudice may be showing, but I can't figure out why little people seem to insist on houses with stairs (this show, 7 Little Johnstons, Little Couple, etc.)  I would have thought Amy would look for single story when she bought a new home.  it's not like she needs tons of space.

It may be a location thing. I was born and raised and currently live in Chicago IL- single story or ranch style homes are rarer in my city and are only popular in certain parts of town. 

I certainly understand if you have to have a single story home for accessibility renovations may be in order, but I can see caring about the location more than the stairs issue. In that position I’d purchase the home I wanted and modify it as need be. But again ranch style homes are rare where I live. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It may be a location thing. I was born and raised and currently live in Chicago IL- single story or ranch style homes are rarer in my city and are only popular in certain parts of town. 

I certainly understand if you have to have a single story home for accessibility renovations may be in order, but I can see caring about the location more than the stairs issue. In that position I’d purchase the home I wanted and modify it as need be. But again ranch style homes are rare where I live. 

We have ranchers here, but they tend to be more expensive than multi-story homes of a similar size.

1 minute ago, readheaded said:

We have ranchers here, but they tend to be more expensive than multi-story homes of a similar size.

Interesting- I hadn't thought of that. It could be multi-story homes even with renovations are more cost effective in their area than ranch homes. 

• Love 1

I'm thinking A rancher usually requires more land since its spread out.  Chicago city lots are really close together ideal for two stories.  Living close to Chicago I love watching house hunters and renovation shows about Chicago properties!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/27/2020 at 2:05 PM, Cementhead said:

forget it.

Edited by OdinO.
On 8/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Some folks may already be familiar with this, but I stumbled on this old blog about the Roloffs that offers some unique information about them over the years ... items taken from various social media accounts, gossip, comments by people who know them, etc ... hasn't been updated in two years but if you're interested in going back in time ... 

http://spiritswander.blogspot.com/

I so miss our own Rap541. 

• Love 3