Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Sure seemed like a series finale.

Agree, or at least a closure of that series angle before opening a different one. It's time, IMO. I only watch a show or two every 18-24 months but have tuned in more this season because it felt like we might be near the end. And as I've posted, it is amazing how many plot angles are just repeats of repeats from prior years. Not a lot new to say, and everyone has moved on.

• Like 4

Caryn wants a small private wedding off the farm.  Good for her to avoid too much stress, work, and conflict. The fundraiser was a good refresher in farm events.

• Like 5

No one believes they moved for their own space. They moved out of spite because the farm negotiations didn't go their way. Remember when they went to the farm shortly after they bought the home in Battle Ground? They sent Jackson over to tell Matt and Caryn that they were moving. When they didn't get the response that they expected you know Matt begging them to not move Tori walked off in a huff and said That's why we are moving. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

It seems last night’s episode was the series finale.  Amy said on IG that it was more than likely the last season as she tried to sell the remaining copies of her book.  It would have been nice if there were dwarfs at the fundraiser other than Matt and Amy, it just seems like that would have been appropriate.  Mae West was on a vacation and not around, she certainly would not have been nice to Caryn like Deb was, although it was fake as hell.  Amy was delighted when ZiT got pissed at Matt and Caryn and made all kinds of remarks to Tori and Zach in an attempt  to fuel the fire, now she has basically been dumped too, I wonder if she likes the feeling.  Thought it was weird that the only grandchild they mentioned was Jackson, they have two others who are dwarfs.  Jeez, it’s not only ZiT that thinks the sun rises and sets on that kid.  I wish we would get a Matt and Caryn wedding special, but I doubt it.  

• Like 6

I read it was a season finale...

My two cents: 

Jackson needs another leg surgery...STAT! OMG! That just looks painful espcially for his feet. 

Lilah seemed to speaking better...but I was just speechless to see her in the bucket of the tractor...that was just crazy. Especially when Zach raised it up high. These two are just clueless about safety with toddlers.

Josiah is basically ignored by Zach and Tori. Very little interaction with him...again everything revolves around Jackson. 

Anyone wonder about the passive agressive comment made by Caryn last week about Zach emptying his trash at the farm??? 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I read it was a season finale...

My two cents: 

Jackson needs another leg surgery...STAT! OMG! That just looks painful espcially for his feet. 

Lilah seemed to speaking better...but I was just speechless to see her in the bucket of the tractor...that was just crazy. Especially when Zach raised it up high. These two are just clueless about safety with toddlers.

Josiah is basically ignored by Zach and Tori. Very little interaction with him...again everything revolves around Jackson. 

Anyone wonder about the passive agressive comment made by Caryn last week about Zach emptying his trash at the farm??? 

I noticed Lilah was speaking much more too.  

Lilah in the bucket was dangerous.   Unfortunately that is how Matt raised Zach.  What I can’t believe is Tori going along with it!  

Josiah’s head is bigger than the other kids and he appears quite unsteady on his feet and he seems to be chunkier right now.  I would hate to see him in that bucket when he is older.  He also has trouble moving his head around or maybe it is just the scenes he was in which weren’t many.  He is very blonde!  

• Like 1

So let me get this straight, ZIT decide the child they constantly  characterize as extremely clumsy with vision problems should be standing around in the bucket of a tractor, yeah that makes sense 🙄 

spacer.png

Tori could at least stand a little closer in case Lilah fell she would maybe able to catch her or was the tractor actively moving forward when Lilah was standing in it?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

So let me get this straight, ZIT decide the child they constantly  characterize as extremely clumsy with vision problems should be standing around in the bucket of a tractor, yeah that makes sense 🙄 

spacer.png

Tori could at least stand a little closer in case Lilah fell she would maybe able to catch her or was the tractor actively moving forward when Lilah was standing in it?

Yes, Einstein Zack actually DROVE the tractor with Lilah in the bucket. Dumbasses.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Like 9
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I guess I should have been focused on the kids in the tractor segment, but all I could think was "Why isn't Murphy there?" I am glad that Zach and Tori will no longer be on the show, because Murphy not being treated as a part of the family hurts my heart.  

That said, this did feel like a series finale, and I think it was a lovely one. Odd how the four were doing so well in their scenes together. Makes one wonder how much of the last few years was manufactured drama. Or is this manufactured chumminess in hopes of another season focused on the two couples?

I think it is a great place to end the series, and wish everyone well. I am happy that Amy and Matt have found happiness with other people, and have come to like and appreciate Caryn (I've always liked Chris). I hope the two couples also do not dwell on what the kids may or may not do in the future with regards to family. I have seen too many friends bend over backwards to keep their kids happy to stay in their grandkids' lives. Take Caryn's advice - you can only be in control of what you do, no one else. I wish both couples many happy days and adventures ahead. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 10

I hope that was the end  of the series, for everyone’s sake. 
Matt and Caryn, Amy and Chris, even the adult kids and their children all deserve to live happy lives, doing what makes them happy.  There’s no need to be on tv anymore. 

Matt, Caryn, Amy and Chris all seem content and have come to terms with all the layers of their shared histories. They have clear thoughts on what their next chapters will be, and all of them appear to have made peace with the past. I hope Jeremy, Jacob and Molly and their spouses keep lines of communication and their homes open to each other. I won’t include Zach and Tori in that hope because they are stubborn, immature and lack the emotional IQ to ever reconcile.

Zach keeps waxing poetic about his childhood, and believes he can recreate that “magical experience” for his kids.  Maybe it can happen, but for all Matt’s control issues and grand plans, at least he had the drive, ambition, vision, know-how and access to resources to make his dreams come to fruition.  Zach lacks most of those qualities.  Tori is a dou, entitled, pessimistic, selfish brat.  She has hair-trigger mood swings, especially when it comes to Lilah*. The two of them are probably content to continue to isolate from the rest of the Roloffs, and that’s their choice.  It’s very sad for Jackson, Lilah and Josiah and their grandparents. 

* Tori doesn’t let any opportunity to belittle Lilah go by.  When they went shopping for Josiah’s bday gift, making fun of her before and during Lilah’s dance class and recital, prepping for the sleep study, the backyard camping night…the little girl is mocked all the time.  In the last episode, everyone was having fun picking and eating berries.  Then Lilah sat down too close to a pile of sh**, and Zach and Tori acted like it was Lilah’s fault for  entire event.  You idiots live on property with wild berries, stream, trees, etc.  you claim to love the untamed nature you bought as a knee jerk reaction to not getting the farm for free.  You know what comes with all that nature you love?  Wild animals that eat and sh**.  It could have been your own dog’s poop that Zach was too lazy to pick up.  But Tori gets all pouty that her idyllic romp in the meadow is over because a 4 year old got too close to poop?  She stomped off all grumpy,  muttering, “Why is it always Lilah?? EVERYONE gets a bath now!”  What a bitch.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
43 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

She stomped off all grumpy,  muttering, “Why is it always Lilah?? EVERYONE gets a bath now!”  What a bitch.

I thought that was awful. I know parents aren't perfect, but Lilah seems to be a scapegoat. She can do nothing right.

• Like 6
  • Sad 8
45 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I wish both couples many happy days and adventures ahead. 

Yes, I also thought it was the perfect way to end the show.  Everything ended the way it was supposed to end.  

My only thought (instigator that I am😉) is what will happen when Matt and Amy pass on and that "windfall" of $$$ from the estate has to be divided up and managed by the surviving children.  That farm is worth A LOT OF $$$!

In that regard, I know ZiT wants no contact (or very little) with Matt and Caryn; however, I wonder how close they are to the 3 other sibs...after all, those dynamics will surely impact how harmonious the division of property will eventually be (whenever it is...hopefully, not for YEARS).  I don't recall any scenes with zach interacting with his siblings in the last few years.  Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I don't recall any scenes with zach interacting with his siblings in the last few years.  Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps not on the show, considering the others don’t want to be on it. In “real life” they do.

• Like 3

That sure did look like a final wrap-up.  Seemed that Matt and Amy and their new partners tried to be gentle in discussing the situation with Zach, but they made it clear that they have good relationships with all the other kids/grandkids.

I don't think anything is going to get through to Z&T about their potentially dangerous activities with the kids until (sadly) one of them gets seriously hurt.  I feel so badly for Lilah.  I was always the "target" child for parental neglect in our family.  It hurts forever.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 9
  • Sad 2
15 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I don't recall any scenes with zach interacting with his siblings in the last few years. 

That's probably because those siblings don't want to be on the show.

#####

Amy said "Matt's and I's relationship".  Matt's and I's?  How did she ever graduate college?

Since this probably final episode was filmed last year, I wonder if Matt and Caryn are now married.  She said something about May, so maybe that's next month.  I'd like to see the finished house.  

• Like 6
6 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Since this probably final episode was filmed last year, I wonder if Matt and Caryn are now married.  She said something about May, so maybe that's next month.  I'd like to see the finished house.  

They are on Instagram so I'm sure they'll post about their marriage and moving into the new house.  I'm also sure that if they can "monetize" publicizing those events, they will...perhaps start a You Tube Channel?  Who knows?  

I do believe, however, that TLC is done with them and the show is officially kaput in syndication on cable TV.  The same thing happened (for different reasons) with the Klein's "Little Couple."  They, too, appear on social media; however, not with any frequency regarding their kids.  Maybe that's for the best.

• Like 2

Nice series finale.  The older generation has come to a place of detente, and they all seem to realize that they need to model that behavior if they are to have any hope of bringing the family together again.  They also--and Amy in particular, to my eye-- looked relaxed, and maybe relieved, now that they won't need to come up with any more artificial situations for the sake of the show.  It was good that they were able to openly discuss the status of their relationships with Zach, Tori and their kids; Matt seemed surprised to hear that Amy and Chris haven't been seeing much of them either.

Zach and Tori's kids are adorable.  I don't see any neglect of Lilah, although I did cringe at seeing her riding in that tractor bucket.  I get why they laugh about her, because at this particular age, she is a hoot---putting one blackberry into a large bowl, eating it, and then crying because the bowl was empty.  This is toddlerhood, folks.  I do remember hearing Zach and Tori talking on their podcast about the difficulty of coming up with interesting "story lines" for the show, and it's possible that Jackson gets more air time because he does more at his age.

What I do see is that Zach is unhappy with his extended family situation.  He has always loved both his mom and his dad, and the farm, and the life he had there as a boy, and now he's let this situation come between himself and all of that.  And I do think he mourns that his kids won't have the same, no matter what he tries to pull off on his property.  I hope he will find the maturity, and Tori the grace, to end their isolation.

10 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Amy said "Matt's and I's relationship".  Matt's and I's?  How did she ever graduate college?

Bad grammar hurts my ears, so I cringed when Amy said this.  I also cringed earlier in the show, when Caryn did the same.

Like others, I hope we'll get to see Matt's new house, and maybe a few pics of the wedding.  I wish them all well, and I thank them for teaching me what it is like to live with dwarfism.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 4/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, Irate Panda said:

spacer.png

Good lord, their neighbors should take a photo and call child protective services! 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

It would be nice to have a special when Matt's house is finished. I'm curious as to how it will look.

When Zach said "there's no interest in the farm. The kids don't ask about it."

Well, of course, they're three and six and they haven't been there in almost two years?? At that age they probably don't remember much about. it. It's sad that they will grow up with very little contact with that side of the family. As someone else said, what don't Zach and Tori drop the kids off for a weekend with Matt and Cha Cha? Even if Z&T don't want a relationship it would benefit their kids to have one.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The reason they won't take their kids to the farm is because they are self centered selfish parents who care more about their bruised egos than their children's happiness. The bond between grandparents and children is special. Zit is wasting precious years for their children because they can't get over not getting their way with the farm. They need to grow up and act like adults not like spoiled children. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 7

I don't see this being the end of the show unless the network wants it to be the end!

Amy and Chris love being on the show and Amy loves money.  She has not been able to come up with anything else money wise.

Matt is a 'look at me' kind of guy so he loves the show.  That big house he's building costs money and Matt loves living large.

The filming season is short and the money is good.  If offered another season they will be back!

• Like 4

If they don't have a current contract, aren't in negotiations, and haven't filmed since last September, I think the network has very likely spoken just not saying the words.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I recall way back when they had the episode right after the "farm negotiations meeting" Matt said something about how Jeremy had made an offer on the farm months earlier and it didn't work out or they could agree on a price. Yet Jeremy and Audrey went on with their lives and still have a relationship with Matt and Caryn. I just don't understand Z and T just cutting them out of their life forever.

I think Zach probably wanted the farm at a huge discount and it wouldn't be fair to Matt and the other siblings.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, applewood said:

I just don't understand Z and T just cutting them out of their life forever.

They didn't.  Matt is welcome to visit in Battle Ground.  In his latest post Matt even says they still visit the farm even if it isn't as often as Matt would like.  Zach and Tori did put up some boundaries.  Boundaries can be healthy depending on the circumstances.  Perhaps there is room to renegotiate now that the show and it's influence appear to be done.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 7:47 AM, chediavolo said:

Good lord, their neighbors should take a photo and call child protective services! 

Do they even have neighbors? I was always so confused by their “neighborhood”  Weren’t they surrounded by some kind a business shop, abandoned trailer, woods, and broken down/burnt out car?  Their neighborhood seem weirdly zoned to me.

Edited by Irate Panda
Their not they
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Does anyone know how large Zit's lot is? I keep hearing it referred to as a farm. 

From what I read online, the house is on a two acre lot.  I am not familiar with the Battleground area, but their "neighborhood" seems strange. It looks like their house is at the end of a back road off of a highway where there are some homes and some businesses. It looks like there is a construction company right down the street. It's not a subdivision type situation, like their old house. The interior of their new house is very nice, but I would not like the location at all.

• Like 6

Zach seems obsessed with recreating his childhood on the farm...how about making a fresh start with your own kids and do new and fun things with them that they will cherish as their own personal family memories. 

Driving farm equipment and piling a four year old little person with vision issues in the bucket and lifting the bucket up and down with said child in it is absolutely one of the worst things I've seen on this show. Zach and Tori clearly have no clue on how to parent responsibly. Let alone their dismissive and cruel parenting of Lilah in particular.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
21 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Do they even have neighbors? I was always so confused by their “neighborhood”  Weren’t they surrounded by some kind a business shop, abandoned trailer, woods, and broken down/burnt out car?  Their neighborhood seem weirdly zoned to me.

The house the yard and the surrounding area sure looks about 50 steps down from the first house that they had. I don’t know how someone downgrades like that. It looks like a dump. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Zach seems obsessed with recreating his childhood on the farm...how about making a fresh start with your own kids and do new and fun things with them that they will cherish as their own personal family memories. 

Driving farm equipment and piling a four year old little person with vision issues in the bucket and lifting the bucket up and down with said child in it is absolutely one of the worst things I've seen on this show. Zach and Tori clearly have no clue on how to parent responsibly. Let alone their dismissive and cruel parenting of Lilah in particular.

I did some incredibly unsafe things as a child with my (wonderful) parents knowledge. Riding on the tailgate of our station wagon swinging our feet around the neighborhood comes to mind. There's a somewhat blurred line between common sense safety and kids being kids.

Zach is absolutely wanting to recreate his youth on the farm- the tractor bucket is a repeat. I think since Matt had such limitations on what he could do physically as a child, that he wanted his kids to have fun. There were some dangerous stunts that fortunately led to no serious injuries save the trebuchet. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Too bad Matt actually had ambition and a plan... Zach is trying to be the low rent dollar store version and he's lazy on  good day, so he's honestly just going to create an on going mess. 

22 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Does anyone know how large Zit's lot is? I keep hearing it referred to as a farm. 

It's far from a farm, this is just what Zach's trying too convince himself of. And I wouldn't put it past them to decide to call their lot a farm to tell Jackson we have our own farm, we don't need to go to Grandpa's farm.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:47 AM, chediavolo said:

if CPS didn't get involved after they had Jackson and Lilah walking over and thru the water of the drainage ditch, I doubt the lawnmower bucket will get their attention. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

The house the yard and the surrounding area sure looks about 50 steps down from the first house that they had. I don’t know how someone downgrades like that. It looks like a dump. 

I’m not familiar with the area they live in, but the house had zero curb appeal to me.  I think the inside of the house looked fine, but outside of the house looks junky.  Also looks like house was just kind of plopped there because some of the stuff around it doesn’t go together.  I would guess they could buy a bigger home/more land in Battleground than wherever they used to live for the same amount of   Plus they had to get away from EVIL MATT AND SCARY ROLOFF FARMS!! 😈 Seriously though I can understand  if they wanted to put boundaries up if they thought that was necessary but it did seem like they just bought something out of spite.  

• Like 5

Yeah...its kind of funny how Zach refers to his property as a "farm". It's not a farm...it's just a plot of undeveloped land that that has a house on it. If it was a farm, there would be large portions of it farmed with crops and livestock...you know like Matt's Farm!  Zach is also trying to replicate Matt's work shop with that two story building that is clearly going to be another play area for Jackson. He claims the downstairs will actually be a "Shop" but it just looks like an open space at the moment. I never thought of Zach as the workshop person or creator of things. Jeremy seemed to have the "Workshop" genes...he actually made some more sophisticated things when he lived at home. 

• Like 4

Sounds like Tori has rounded up all her fans to support her here.

Just kidding?

On 4/27/2024 at 2:22 PM, Irate Panda said:

Didn't realtor Chris remark that it "lacked curb appeal," LOL?  Right before Amy told him to put a sock in it to spare poor Zach's feelings!

• Like 3
(edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 1:42 PM, Absolom said:

They didn't.  Matt is welcome to visit in Battle Ground....

Yes, Matt, who still works full-time and lives six months in another state AND IS SEVERELY DISABLED is welcome to drive uninvited over an hour each way through horrendous traffic and stand in the cold, drafty, uncomfortable garage with his armloads of gifts for a very spoiled and entitled young family while Tori hides with the kids inside.  I'd say a big "thanks, but no thanks" to that proposition myself...

On 4/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, applewood said:

I think Zach probably wanted the farm at a huge discount and it wouldn't be fair to Matt and the other siblings.

Exactly...  Specifically, in order to continue the show.  He basically used his dwarf kids as a bargaining chip, asking their grandfather "how much it was worth to him to see them grow up on the farm" (on tee-vee).

He offered a FOURTH of what it was appraised for (half of what Amy paid for her half), refusing both Matt's "family discount" and his offer to meet his price, but for slightly less land.  He then took his ball (er, children) and ran home to Battleground in an ugly snit.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On 4/24/2024 at 8:19 PM, BusyOctober said:

She stomped off all grumpy,  muttering, “Why is it always Lilah?? EVERYONE gets a bath now!”  What a bitch.

It's so obvious in every episode -- since the initial ultrasound showing Lilah to be a LP -- that Tori greatly resents, if not actually hates, her daughter for not being the average size "mini me" she was counting on.  It's really very uncomfortable to watch.  Tori clearly has issues, but then she married Zach, so this should come as no surprise!

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Dibs said:

Sounds like Tori has rounded up all her fans to support her here.

Just kidding?

Didn't realtor Chris remark that it "lacked curb appeal," LOL?  Right before Amy told him to put a sock in it to spare poor Zach's feelings!

Amy told Chris to be nice about Zach’s sandbox, as well, I mean who cares if it might topple over, it’s all about Zach’s feelings!!! Honestly what I find odd about it is Chris seems to go out of his way to say nice things to all these fools, I doubt he needed to be subdued by Amy. 

“Yes, Matt, who still works full-time and lives six months in another state AND IS SEVERELY DISABLED is welcome to drive uninvited over an hour each way through horrendous traffic and stand in the cold, drafty, uncomfortable garage with his armloads of gifts for a very spoiled and entitled young family while Tori hides with the kids inside.  I'd say a big "thanks, but no thanks" to that proposition myself...”

Honestly this was one of the tackiest rudest things I’ve seen on this show. I’m not particularly a Matt fan but to keep your disabled dad standing in a garage after an hour or more drive is trashy. Then again they had no problem half- ignoring Amy until they needed her babysitting services.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Amy told Chris to be nice about Zach’s sandbox, as well, I mean who cares if it might topple over, it’s all about Zach’s feelings!!! Honestly what I find odd about it is Chris seems to go out of his way to say nice things to all these fools, I doubt he needed to be subdued by Amy. 

Honestly this was one of the tackiest rudest things I’ve seen on this show. I’m not particularly a Matt fan but to keep your disabled dad standing in a garage after an hour or more drive is trashy. Then again they had no problem half- ignoring Amy until they needed her babysitting services.

And apparently his soon-to-be (assuming they aren't already secretly, quietly married; Caryn lets the cat out of the bag occasionally) wife isn't even allowed to set foot on their property.  Honestly, just as Chris stood up for Amy, Matt should refuse to go there if his mate isn't welcome, but then he'd be EVIL GRANDPA MATT who isn't willing to "work" for a relationship with his grandchildren, and we'd never hear the end of it from the whiney pants couple and Amy.

Poor guy can't win!

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Dibs said:

And apparently his soon-to-be (assuming they aren't already secretly, quietly married; Caryn lets the cat out of the bag occasionally) wife isn't even allowed to set foot on their property.  Honestly, just as Chris stood up for Amy, Matt should refuse to go there if his mate isn't welcome, but then he'd be EVIL GRANDPA MATT who isn't willing to "work" for a relationship with his grandchildren, and we'd never hear the end of it from the whiney pants couple and Amy.

Poor guy can't win!

Re bolded part.  I don't know these people in real life.  I form my opinions just like anyone else who has watched the show.  IN MY OPINION, if Matt told Caryn he wasn't going to go see the grandkids if she wasn't welcome, Caryn would have pointed out to him that he should not deny himself or the grandkids a relationship because of her.  I find her to be the most sane one of the bunch.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

IN MY OPINION, if Matt told Caryn he wasn't going to go see the grandkids if she wasn't welcome, Caryn would have pointed out to him that he should not deny himself or the grandkids a relationship because of her.  I find her to be the most sane one of the bunch.  

And clearly that's what's happening; she could have pitched a hissy fit (which I'm sure Amy would have had Chris not had HER back in that dispute), but Caryn's - again - the bigger person and encourages him to go without her and is even happy for him when he can.  They're both very mature and gracious (unlike some people) and very well matched...

2 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

I don't really remember but was Matt or Matt and Caryn actually told Caryn wasn't welcome at Zach and Tori's house?

Please; it's obvious.  They're probably not going to show that on TV.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
39 minutes ago, Dibs said:

Please; it's obvious.  They're probably not going to show that on TV.

Calm down. I just asked a question.

I reserve judgement on the family. As a viewer, I have no idea what really goes on with this family behind the scenes, nor how much manipulating is done by production to evoke certain responses. What I have seen is a family that signed up for years of having the good, bad, and ugly brought into my den every week. I would hate for cameras to be rolling in my house while I am trying to navigate though family struggles. What I saw was the breakdown of a marriage, where the two people grew, but apart rather than together. I saw the only child with dwarfism crushed by having his hopes and dreams cast aside. I saw a woman betrayed by a long-time employee. I saw two former partners find new love, and somehow all come together to be friends again. (I admit to finding Matt and Chris' "bromance" hysterical. But that also may be the motivator in getting the foursome together.) I saw a young family raising 3 dwarf children, trying to make their experiences as fun and normal as possible. I saw them get medical attention, though I wasn't privy to what went on in the  Doctor visits. I saw the three normal size children move on and leave the farm behind. All of this played out very publicly over years. Many of the TLC families have broken up under such scrutiny, going back to Jon and Kate. Who knows how much having the show had to do with these issues, vs how much was the family unit to begin with. I am sad that Matt dug in about the farm. There is so much land, I don't know why he couldn't deed (not sell) several acres to each child to do with as they saw fit. If they chose to build a house and live there, fine, if they didn't, they could either just hang on to it for posterity or deed it back. I have seen this scenario in real life. I also understand how hurt Zach was over the farm sale. He is the only child who was consistently working at the farm. If the others were so interested, why did they move on at the first opportunity? If both Jeremy and Zach were interested, why couldn't Matt make them partners in the enterprise so it could be the family business for as long as there were family members interested. I know of many such family operations. In the end, we all make choices, and I believe we are all doing the best we can with what we have to work with. 

• Like 5

Zach was the only child consistently working at the farm?? Wow I must have missed that.   As to why Matt couldn't just divide up the farm and give each child  a couple of acres to do with what they wanted Zach wanted more than a couple of acres. He wanted the big house and at least 16 acres at a fraction of what it was worth. Matt also stated that Oregon has rules about how a farm can be divided and how many houses  can be on the land. Maybe Zach should have waited to get his share of the inheritance until Matt passed. That's the way most children do. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

As to why Matt couldn't just divide up the farm and give each child  a couple of acres to do with what they wanted Zach wanted more than a couple of acres. He wanted the big house and at least 16 acres at a fraction of what it was worth. Matt also stated that Oregon has rules about how a farm can be divided and how many houses can be on the land. Maybe Zach should have waited to get his share of the inheritance until Matt passed. That's the way most children do. 

They also BOTH wanted to live in the farmhouse and probably both hoped to monetize it in some way -- Zach by carrying on the with the show (Roloffs 2.0), and maybe Jeremy with one of Audrey's many enterprises.  How do you "divide" that, and what about the other two kids?  Turns out Jacob also had an interest in farming even greater than that of the other two; who knew?

Yes, children traditionally waited until their parents passed before expecting an inheritance, if they were lucky enough to even get one, but not so much these days with all the entitlement engendered in Gens X and Z. 

Watch your back, Matt!  And then Amy!!!

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 6