Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: One Size Does Not Fit All

Drogo
  • Start Topic

In the Season 16 premiere, the designers must create a red-carpet look that demonstrates their fashion point-of-view, but the real surprise comes when the designers learn they will be working with models of all sizes. Guest judge Olivia Munn joins.

• Love 1

Not all that concerned about spoiling who goes home via the promos for next week, I see.

Also, based on her previous red carpet appearances, I'm not sure Olivia Munn's endorsement of an "I would wear that" is a good thing, re: Brandon's dress.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 12

The twins are annoying AF. I'm glad Unicorn boy got auf'ed, watching him week after week would have given me cavities. Don't lie to Heidi or Nina Batani, they don't suffer fools. I'm glad Brendan did well considering the way they were editing him about never doing women's design.

I like that they are using different sized models. I like Deyonte and was glad he won. I also like Kenya. And Amy, because I alway root for the older contestants. 

• Love 24

Well, the highs are really high - and the lows are in the gutter.  And I don't mean the pretty gutter dress that Andre made either.

I don't know names all the way yet, I didn't watch any of the previews or Road to the Runway stuff - but Chacha?  No thanks.  Even the cosplay kids wouldn't go for that.  It wasn't even sci fi kinda cool, like the gold dress that looked like it came out of Forbidden Planet.  No thanks to the twins either, there's just something way way off with their calculated precision.  I did read they'd done some show thing before, and that always makes me wonder a bit, are they just doing anything to chase their dream, or are they reality whores?

I will need to reflect upon this more.  In the words of our wonderful God Of Burnt Sienna Michael Kors - I'm underwhelmed.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Well, the highs are really high - and the lows are in the gutter.  And I don't mean the pretty gutter dress that Andre made either.

I don't know names all the way yet, I didn't watch any of the previews or Road to the Runway stuff - but Chacha?  No thanks.  Even the cosplay kids wouldn't go for that.  It wasn't even sci fi kinda cool, like the gold dress that looked like it came out of Forbidden Planet.  No thanks to the twins either, there's just something way way off with their calculated precision.  I did read they'd done some show thing before, and that always makes me wonder a bit, are they just doing anything to chase their dream, or are they reality whores?

I will need to reflect upon this more.  In the words of our wonderful God Of Burnt Sienna Michael Kors - I'm underwhelmed.

Reality whores are aren't for real. That's perfect for this era.

• Love 2

I like Amy's convertible dress. Very clever. Not sure about a runway look but it would be a fun look for a high-end party in the summer.

ETA: Grrr. I meant a red carpet rather than a runway.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 16

That winning outfit was divine. So lovely on the gorgeous model. I liked the convertible outfit too. What a surprise. When she first walked out, I thought "how boring." Then the switcheroo. Wow

• Love 20

Amy's was actually my favourite design.  The one with the huge black piece that was lifted to reveal that bikini top.  It was so dramatic.  I wanted to yell or something.  Loved it.

I loved Kenya's as well but just because it was so my type.  But the mermaid dress has just been done way way way way too much.  Check out every SAG or Golden Globe award show.  About 70% women are always wearing it.

Heidi's face seemed SO upset and disappointed with Claire's that I thought she was going to be on the bottom.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11

I love the different model sizes. And if they get a new model every week it will be an anonymous runway until the judges know the contestants work better. When Brendon downed his cocktail when he seen the models was great. At least he wasn't a dick to his like Chacha calling his model fat. 

I agreed when the one guy commented on the pattern woman wearing color and pattern and gives her model a dull as gray dress with toilet paper coming out her ass. As soon as the judges said her name I knew they were calling the bottom/top.

Can't say I'm surprised or disappointed by who went home. Next up I hope it's the twins. I can't take them it's just too much air time. 

In the promo before the show I do want to know what episode the shit goes down in. It's seemed crazy so I don't want it to be a let down. I didn't watch the get to know the contestants episode or whatever it's called so I'm not going to know all the names for like 5 more episodes.

• Love 15

I think it's kind of unfair that the twins have a support system in the competition. They keep conferring with each other. However, it seems that one twin is a stronger designer, so we'll see if she outlasts the other.

By the way, I'm also curious about all the dramatics in the preview for the season. Who are the cheaters? And, how will they cheat?

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 23
7 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

The moment the twins said that they had designed an outfit for Katy Perry, I pretty much knew exactly what their taste level would be.

I get the whole twin thing, but do these two have to speak everything together?  (For anyone over 50 - they reminded me of the Doublemint Twins - except one with a shaved head!)  I loved the look on Tim Gunn's face when talking with them!  I wonder how long that workroom interview actually went - it seems like they both love to talk waaaay too much!  

They annoyed me from the opening (I didn't watch the "Road to the Runway" show, so this was my first viewing of them).

Batanyi (is that her name) is going to be shady, I've just got a feeling.

I loved the winning look, although, I get nervous when Zac says they are expecting big things from a designer - always seems like the kiss of death.  I also loved Amy's look-very innovative and hip, imo.

Wonder what the whole "cheating" thing is - looks like it may have been during a team challenge?  

And, is it possible that Nina has developed an even more sourpuss look than last season?  It seemed like this is the LAST place she wants to be!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 11

Another collection of designers who are bigoted to "zaftig" women! Like Season 4 winner Christian Sirano, he had a real aversion to any girl not stick thin! He made a prom dress for this little girl that was an obvious throw away because he hated working with someone with boobs and an arse! Such idiots! With how food is advertised, they won't have anyone but models to be able to fit their designs! ;-)

• Love 3

Loved the winning look. I totally got a Michelle Obama vibe and the model loved how she looked. And a big FU to the twins who said no one in Cannes would wear that. I Kate the whole Betsey Johnson Katy Perry look on adults so chacha can go and take the twins with him. 

I don't mind the gender fluid look, but I'm not drawn to it. Maybe it will grow on me. 

I really like Kenya. I hope she goes far. And the pianist from Japan, I loved his look. 

The previews suggest cheating?! Tim Gunn will be clutching his pearls ! 

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

But look at Christian Siriano now-he is well known for designing kick-ass red carpet looks for curvy women.

He learned he would be eating cat food if he didn't change his rotten attitude towards women with actual curves! He offended me so much with his act during the season; making denim sleeves into pants, using a lot of feathers and leather, etc! It was so impractical for the average woman! Who does that? ;-)

• Love 6

Giant heavy sigh.

Why oh why couldn't this have been a challenge where the winner gets to sell their design to the masses.

I would love to buy Deytonce's (?) dress.  That was beautiful. And truly a dress any woman who doesn't walk the runway would look good in.

And I'm glad they put in women of different sizes.  I will give a nod to the Ashley season.  So far kudos to the producers for not giving up on designing clothes for all women! This is a great tweak!

Edited by dosodog
Kind of giddy over the variety!
  • Love 16
Just now, Mumbles said:

I really like this gimmick with the models of different sizes.

Brandon was really annoying me, first with the "I've never designed for women" (who forced you to try out for a show on women's design?) and then the kvetching about the plus size model. But then he made something nice so there's that.

Argh! The twins! First with the oversocializing at the party, which I take as a power/intimidation move. Then the shtick with the overexplanations and pretentious fronting - which the professor lady and Margarita mocked so effectively. Then Shane's snotty comment about the print gown ("Nobody would wear that at Cannes."). How delicious when the judges went nuts over it while she was standing next to him with her sad lame boxer shorts!  And then he won! Bah hah hah hah hah! And it looks like she was condescending him when he did his winner stuff behind the screen. And her "advice" to Chacha when he lost....oh just shut up already.

The fashion professor was bugging me with her "this is going to be easy for me" remark, but she redeemed herself a little with the twin snark.

Either of the bottom two could have gone. That was a terrible fabric for a curvy model - very clingy and cheap looking. And Chacha lost me with the "fat model" comment.

Cha Cha wasn't and hasn't been the only person to show ignorance concerning models and women in general! Zack was so right about the winner; "he loves women!" If you don't want to do something, it isn't going to go well! That's the case in anything; school, designing, sports, or TV programming! Why did so many go in their so negative; esp. the ones who never did women's wear? Why were they selected in the 1st place? ;-)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

No thanks to the twins either, there's just something way way off with their calculated precision.  I did read they'd done some show thing before, and that always makes me wonder a bit, are they just doing anything to chase their dream, or are they reality whores?

I almost feel like they are trolling the show. I can't take them seriously. 

• Love 14
51 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I Kate the whole Betsey Johnson Katy Perry look on adults so chacha can go and take the twins with him. 

I am a Betsey nut. 37 years old and have been wearing her for 25 years (still have all my dresses, which I hope to pass on to my daughter) and will continue wearing her until they put me in the ground. In fact, I hope they bury me in my favorite faux-fur opera coat. As a 4'10", 95 pound woman, I find that her clothing actually fits me very well. She makes maxi dresses that I can wear. But, as an adult now, I don't go for her crazy stuff like I used to. I've toned it down a bit. Not all of Betsey's stuff is crazy. It's possible to wear her and still look like a respectable grown-up. Of course, the clothes of hers that get the attention are the bizarro ones. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, lyric said:

The JC Penney's accessory wall...

oh my.jpeg

I thought the same...and then I remembered the time a couple of years ago when JC Penney gamed the google algorithm so every search anyone did looking for stuff came up with JC Penney options.

I still love them for that.

• Love 10

Where did you see cheating info? I remember many seasons ago there was a cheating "scandal."

If the muslim woman puts a scarf on all her models, it won't be much of a blind design.

• Love 16

Why do I feel like we're going to see some variation of a "shirt made into pants" from that designer every week? That was hideous and didn't fit, and I have no idea how he wasn't in the bottom.

And I suspect Brandon just got lucky with that top this week. I bet we see that same silhouette from him next week too. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Kdel1079 said:

I can't stand the twins. It seems like they are trying too hard to be characters.

also, there is too much crying on this season so far 

What are all these tears for? Sometimes they're not even being spoken to; they're just there! lol! Kenya's a HUGE crier unfortunately! "Get over it people! 15 seasons with ALL-Stars and special events; tears were never a part of the show!" ;-)

2 minutes ago, Maya said:

Why do I feel like we're going to see some variation of a "shirt made into pants" from that designer every week? That was hideous and didn't fit, and I have no idea how he wasn't in the bottom.

And I suspect Brandon just got lucky with that top this week. I bet we see that same silhouette from him next week too. 

I think it was the detailing that saved him! ;-)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

Didn't someone bring a pattern book?

Yes, many seasons ago on Bravo, someone had a pattern book back in the rooms so they got booted out for cheating. Was that when Chris March got to come back? Or was his an illness return? Either way, I think someone got to come back and was better than the cheater.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, roctavia said:

Yes, many seasons ago on Bravo, someone had a pattern book back in the rooms so they got booted out for cheating. Was that when Chris March got to come back? Or was his an illness return? Either way, I think someone got to come back and was better than the cheater.

Nyah, it was season 3 with Keith who brought pattern books and even left the building for a while; maybe went to see his boyfriend! Chris March came back in S 4 because another designer had to leave! I can't remember if it was due to her father's health or that could have been a "Top Chef" episode where the same thing happened and they had to bring back a "lucky loser!" ;-)

Update: Thinking about it, I think the designer just "wanted out" so Chris got a 2nd chance and made the final 4!" lol! ;-)

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 3

Overall, it was a nice runway. There was some great stuff and some terrible stuff. Forgive me, for I didn't watch road to the runway, or pay much attention prior to the actual runway itself, so I have no clue who people are.

For once, I agree with the judges on the winner, that floral dress was AMAZING and looked great on the model. The pattern was well placed and overall, it just looked really well done.

The white dress was really pretty too, especially for a one day challenge. I agreed with the judges a lot today- I liked the white shirt with all the tails, but I hated the shorts.

I was okay with who they sent home, though I thought his outfit looked kind of interesting on the runway, and I did think there were pieces that were much worse. The gray dress with the applique was terrible... it could have been okay, but the fit was not good and the tail/butt crack was a very bad choice.

I thought the cammo/pink top and skirt was just okay, the top was interesting, but the skirt was just too boxy- here's some fabric I put around your waist with a stripe on it. But I didn't think it was bottom, just because it was interesting.

The bad thing about the first episode, is we don't get much look at half the outfits! The black jacket wasn't very interesting until it turned into a skirt... but it was neat. I don't know what was up with the dude who made those huge white pants- whatever that outfit was, it was awful. I thought it would have been in the bottom for sure.  The red flowy outfit had potential until you got to the weird shoulder puff things that made it look like a costume or something.

Some interesting looks, and definitely some personalities present in the designers. Maybe next week i'll pay closer attention to the work room, but I still am sick of all the behind the scenes drama from past seasons... so we'll see.. I just want to see the neat outfits.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, answerphone said:

"I've never done women's wear". Good luck with that...95% of the challenges are for women!

And now is not the time to learn!  All of Brandon's angst was getting on my nerves but I did think it was funny when he went back for another drink!

I really hope the twins get cut soon.  They are already on my last nerve and it's the first episode! And it looks like they are on the same team next episode which is going to drive their teammates nuts!

I also liked Kentaro's (is that his name? The classical pianist). I thought it was pretty and I would have liked to see it up close  

i was so glad Deyonte won. That dress was gorgeous!  It was cute that he and his model were holding hands on the runway. 

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Nyah, it was season 3 with Keith who brought pattern books and even left the building for a while; maybe went to see his boyfriend! Chris March came back in S 4 because another designer had to leave! I can't remember if it was due to her father's health or that could have been a "Top Chef" episode where the same thing happened and they had to bring back a "lucky loser!" ;-)

Update: Thinking about it, I think the designer just "wanted out" so Chris got a 2nd chance and made the final 4!" lol! ;-)

I think Chris returned in Jack's (?) place, the talented guy with HIV who got a serious infection in his face / lip.  

Jury's out on how Brandon will fare going forward, of course, but I think his menswear is awesome.  There are a few interesting streetwear designers this season, and the fashion instructor's design tonight was amazing, so I'm intrigued for the season, frankly.  I really like Deyonte as well - his print would terrify me normally, but it was so flattering and pretty.  I also just like him - seems like a really cool dude.

I really like Kenya as well, but wasn't so wowed with her dress - it seemed they were more impressed with the amount and quality of work she accomplished more than the actual design.  It was pretty and impressive, but far from original. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, lyric said:

I think Chris returned in Jack's (?) place, the talented guy with HIV who got a serious infection in his face / lip.  

Jury's out on how Brandon will fare going forward, of course, but I think his menswear is awesome.  There are a few interesting streetwear designers this season, and the fashion instructor's design tonight was amazing, so I'm intrigued for the season, frankly.  I really like Deyonte as well - his print would terrify me normally, but it was so flattering and pretty.  I also just like him - seems like a really cool dude.

I really like Kenya as well, but wasn't so wowed with her dress - it seemed they were more impressed with the amount and quality of work she accomplished more than the actual design.  It was pretty and impressive, but far from original. 

You're right! Jack was a hottie and I collected a lot of his pics later! A girl left maybe in another season {5?) and the judges may not have eliminated anyone since nothing was so ghastly! I'll go check! This show has been on for a long time and I've watched it since S3 even though I've seen the 1st 2 later! I just had to see who the HELL Austin Scarlet was; him and his wedding dress designs! lol! ;-)

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 1

Thank heavens Deyonte won! That dress was utterly gorgeous. Really striking and accentuated her body well. The Michelle Obama vibe remarks were spot on.

ChaCha definitely needed to go. He had no clue. Heidi was right -- the dress did look like a scrunchie.

I think I might have liked Kenya's dress more if it were in a different color. Like, an actual color. It was impressive she did all that in a day.

The twins. Dear God, the twins. I cannot even imagine being in a workroom with them all day. I would stab my eardrums with a seam ripper. The only good thing about them was Margarita imitating their vocabulary. (As an aside, I wonder if they're mirror image identical twins, since I noticed that one is right-handed and the other is left-handed.)

• Love 20

I really hope the twins get broken up earlier than later. They are annoying together. Indeeeed. (Though the best part of this episode *was* the other designers mocking their drama queen speech.) I liked Sinead's top.

It was nice to see Brandon pull something out in the end. He really let his model tell him how to design for her, which may have started out because he had no damn idea himself, but it worked.

Muslim lady - if you want me to believe that "modest" can be fashionable, try something other than skintight long-sleeve tops. I have a feeling her stuff is going to be very one note, There's only so many ways one can do "cover every square inch". I don't know what was so "modern" about it.

Heh, when they called ChaCha's aesthetic "My LIttle Pony", I laughed. Seriously, he just did not deserve to be there. The looks on everyone's faces during his child-like babbling was HILARIOUS. The critique where they talked like art critics trying to unearth deep meaning in his crap. "I think you're giving him too much credit." I never saw anything from him beyond "little girl's slumber party dress-up". Some 7-year-old got into so much trouble for cutting up her Care Bear sleeping bag for a jacket.... He started out sketching to "accentuate her curves" and ended up with a sparkly sack with a scrunchie neckline.

Then again, someone made a gold version of it with thin sleeves, tiny shoulder spikes, and a longer skirt so....

African Print Lady - Flat grey with butt-ugly raggedy flopping grandma-looking appliques running down her butt crack to hide the GAPING HOLE in the back. Good lord. Thanks so much for the closeup of the giant hole, camera guy. You almost gave the girl a colonoscopy. I had high hopes for her, but maybe the fabrics *were* doing all the work for her.

Winner deserved the win. That looked great, with a print that could have been a trainwreck but came off amazing.

Show, no one gives a shit about the "behind the scenes" shots with the crew. Stop making filler. It's just more I have to FF through.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Love 16

Brandon's outfit... Ugh.  My head exploded when I heard that several judges liked it and Olivia Munn would wear it. I want some of the glue they've been sniffing if it made that outfit look good to them.  I thought it was a new level of tacky.

• Love 21

Loved Deyonte's dress and am so glad he won. He's a local! The twins need to get auf'd soon or I'll have to mute it while they're on. They're just horrendous to listen to.

Wasn't thrilled when they showed us the guest judges for this round. Especially Yolanda Hadid - ugh! I bet every comment she makes will have Gigi or Bella's name squeezed in there somehow.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, patty1h said:

Brandon's outfit... Ugh.  My head exploded when I heard that several judges liked it and Olivia Munn would wear it. I want some of the glue they've been sniffing if it made that outfit look good to them.  I thought it was a new level of tacky.

Maybe it's just "today" and we're more "yesterday!" I'm old, but still trying to rock distressed denim shorts and pants, shredded T's, and just bought my 1st pair of Crocs while I was at Walmart today! They're black and not one of those hideous ice cream colored numbers! ;-)

1 minute ago, lovesnark said:

Loved Deyonte's dress and am so glad he won. He's a local! The twins need to get auf'd soon or I'll have to mute it while they're on. They're just horrendous to listen to.

Wasn't thrilled when they showed us the guest judges for this round. Especially Yolanda Hadid - ugh! I bet every comment she makes will have Gigi or Bella's name squeezed in there somehow.

I'd be proud of my kids too if I had some that successful! lol! ;-)