Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: One Size Does Not Fit All

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I only watched the runway part of this, so I have idea of the personalities involved. 

I LOVED the winning look.   They are right, the cut & fit and the strategic use of the pattern of the fabric was really nice. 

Really surprised that that one dress that was gold with the weird horn like shoulder pads wasn't a bottom.  You can't tell me that if someone showed up with that dress on at an awards RC they wouldn't show up on every worst dressed list?

I also agreed with the judges that the one twin who was in the bottom, could have had a stunning look if she didn't pair that really nice top with those raggedy ass looking shorts.  But even so she was still better than gold-horn dress.

I thought the chick who was in bottom 2 failed because she was trying to camouflage her model's size 100%.  I also loved how Zac, I think it was, pointed out that her own person style is really striking.  He's 100% correct.  If she had done something in a really ethnic print with something bold and dramatic, selling it like her model was off to the BET awards or something, then she would not have been in the B2.

And finally, I thought the auf'd designer deserved to be off.  Again i agree with ZAc my first impression was 'Pink Clown' when it came off the runway.  It was shapeless and swallowed his model.  And it looked tacky to boot.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

I remember Tim commiserating with a designer in the early days and used the term ZAFTIG! The girl was bigger than the other girls, but far from fat and I was surprised that Tim went there! He's usually a lot more diplomatic! ;-)

that was the episode where the designer had the model wear a bow of hair on top of her head and the dress made the model look heavier than she was. And Heidi commented that the model looked like a fat Minnie Mouse

18 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

that was the episode where the designer had the model wear a bow of hair on top of her head and the dress made the model look heavier than she was. And Heidi commented that the model looked like a fat Minnie Mouse

Season 3 when the designers had to use materials from the recycle center.  The designer was Alison.  It scares me that I remember this stuff.

• Love 4

I just remember one season where Oliver (or Olivier, sp?) was complaining that his model had breasts and he didn't know what to do with them in his design.  Um, you're a WOMEN'S wear designer, women tend to have breasts.  That, to me, was the epitome of useless design that's never intended to be worn by anyone but models.

I like the rotating model size this season, some of the designers actually looked excited about the idea of having a model with some boobs and booty.  I don't know why, after 16 seasons, these folks are still thrown by challenges involving women who are not the traditional model size.  I mean, haven't they seen this show?  They should expect there to be an unconventional materials challenge, a "real women" or larger women challenge and, possibly a menswear challenge.  They should come with some tricks in their bag for these things, it shouldn't be a surprise or huge stumbling block any more. 

I can understand why menswear designers might want to compete here (there isn't a PR Menswear) but you'd think they'd at least practice some dresses and women's wear before arriving.

I loved the winning look and think the win was deserved.  I also loved Kentaro's, it moved beautifully, but think he should have done something different with the models hair.  Amy's absolutely had the "wow" factor, but I hated the bikini top.  I thought it looks more cheap then classy.

I really hated Batani's and thought she should have gone home for that mess.  You do not do a skin tight dress in clingy fabric for larger women.  You don't do that for anyone other than super skinny model types.  Most of her clothes are so vibrantly colored I'm surprised she used that dull grey.  Was that her vision of elegant red-carpet (i.e. noting too flashy) or her feeling that larger women should just blend into the background and not stand out?

• Love 13

I don't mind a menswear person wanting to be on the show but could have used less complaining/worrying about how "I just do menswear." Maybe the producers made him keep saying it.

I was glad Batani stuck around only because I thought what she wears herself looks interesting so hoping she has some decent designs in there despite the awful gray dress.

• Love 4

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the big deal over Brandon's outfit. But hey, he recovered from his initial panic and did something interesting, so yay for him, I guess. I found the twins annoying (loved Amy and Margarita's impressions. Indeed), but I kind of want them to stay so that I can see Zac's facial expressions when they talk on the runway.

• Love 7

Do the judges get to see the designers' portfolios before the season starts? If not, they had no idea that ChaCha's scrunchies dress was actually quite restrained for him. It's not like tent/trapeze dresses aren't a thing, but he could've at least tapered and fit the sleeves better, or left them off entirely. Still would have lost, of course.

Nina mentioned that the only body part on display was the model's back, (deliberately?) overlooking the shortness of the dress and her legs showing to the upper thighs.

I hope this and Batani's mess indicate that the judges are over their "embellishments in lieu of design" phase.

• Love 5

Deyonte absolutely deserved the win this week. I also loved Samantha's dress and thought she should have been in the top instead of Brandon. 

I have a feeling the twins are going to last a lot longer that they should. 

Didn't Heidi say at the beginning that the designers would be working with different models every week? 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Hana Tajima also did a great line for Uniqlo. I just love that stuff.

http://www.uniqlo.com/my/hanatajima/

6 hours ago, Qoass said:

Ta-ta, Chacha. It's true: your girl is out there. I just hope you find her before she adjusts her meds.

Shawn's unearned superiority and smugness in telling ChaCha that his girl was out there made me want to knock her out.  Lady, you were on the bottom 3. You hated the dress that won. You have the worst face jewelry ever. Get over yourself already.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Absurda said:

don't know why, after 16 seasons, these folks are still thrown by challenges involving women who are not the traditional model size.  I mean, haven't they seen this show? 

I think the answer is because then they can't use those memorized standard measurements for their patterns. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

... I found the twins annoying (loved Amy and Margarita's impressions. Indeed), but I kind of want them to stay so that I can see Zac's facial expressions when they talk on the runway.

... Indeed !!!!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Absurda said:

I really hated Batani's and thought she should have gone home for that mess.  You do not do a skin tight dress in clingy fabric for larger women. 

The actual lines of her dress would have been fine if not two sizes too small.  The drab color didn't help and the appliques were tragic.  But that same dress made larger in a small print or brighter color could have been beautiful and flattering.

I'm glad she stayed, though, over Chacha because I'm not a bit interested in what else he would have done, but I am at least curious about her.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Forgot to say--To all the Real Housewives of BH watchers, NOT YOLANDA!!! That woman is vile, a fake, and a phony. Thought I'd seen the last of her. Her only "claim to fame" is marrying rich men and having Bella Hadid as her daughter. Is she going to wear her white jeans on the show? Or maybe it will be a "sick" day and she'll wear her bathrobe so we can all see her SUFFER! Sorry--Off topic---I just really dislike her and her being a judge just makes me stabby. 

I believe you mean "Her only 'claim to fame' is marrying rich men and having Gigi 'my love' Hadid, Bella 'formally known as the other one' Hadid as her daughters, and the other other one, Anwar."

• Love 13

I think that the twins believe that they are on the road to stardom!  They both act as if they are the hosts and mentors for the show and are qualified and semi-famous designers because they designed a dress for Katy Perry.  Yes, that's an accomplishment, but they present themselves as being more expert and important than they are.  I so agreed with the many previous posters who called them pretentious.  And, yes, I LOVED the other contestants mocking them.

• Love 15

I'm kind of bummed ChaCha was the first to leave.  I was looking forward to seeing what kooky designs he was going to come up with. 

I was dying how when Shaved Twin said something like, "there's a girl out there who loves your designs just as they are" he was like, "I thought you were going to say it was you" all crestfallen and shit. lol

• Love 6
7 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Agreed!!! Many times over. I rolled my eyes so hard when I heard JC Penny!!! Like , really? Next year it WILL be the Walmart wall!

And for PR's very last season: the Dollar Store wall!

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

And for PR's very last season: the Dollar Store wall!

From the growth of Dollar Stores nationwide, they don't need PR.  The loss of so many sponsors may not bode well for this show's future seasons.  The (as perceived by me) lack of publicity for this season....let's wait for ratings.

• Love 1

I am going to be the lone voice of dissent here. I thought Deyonte's dress was lovely, but I didn't see anything original or uber special about it. Yeah, I know, he did some stuff on the skirt, but..... what he DID accomplish, is to make that model feel beautiful, and there is something to be said for that. I'm also having a little bit of issue with him because he reminds me so much of Corny/Cornelius, which I think was last season... was last season the season of Erin?

Also didn't get the amazing amounts of love for Brandon's "athleisure" "red carpet" design. It was way better than some of the other stuff out there, but he did not almost deserve the win. I love Kenya, but didn't get the praise for her design, based solely on the merits of it being sewn well. Think if she had been able to exaggerate those pockets at bit more, it might have been a little more fashion forward.

Cha Cha should have never been cast. As several others said, he was fodder from jump. I think Batani should have gone home for that egregiously horrible thing she sent down the runway: bad fit, dull colour (and I'm a grey girl), horrible embellishments, and not having the guts to own up to Heidi that she was hiding a gaping hole in the back with that granny doily crap. Did not like, at all, the silver shorts, BUT I thought the dancer's gold thing was one of the most awful things I've ever seen. Not only did it look like a really cheap, just bad, bad, bad costume, BUT the seam in the back was inexcusable. I can do better sewing BY HAND, even using lame'.

Still holding out hope for some better designs to come. I DO have semi high expectations, going forward, for Deyonte, because I agree with Zac: you can tell he likes women and there's not enough of that out there in fashion.

Twins = no bueno.  I'll be FF'ing through nearly all of their scenes, until said scenes involve one - or both - of them departing.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

I am going to be the lone voice of dissent here. I thought Deyonte's dress was lovely, but I didn't see anything original or uber special about it. Yeah, I know, he did some stuff on the skirt, but..... what he DID accomplisy, is to make that model feel beautiful, and there is something to be said for that. I'm also having a little bit of issue with him because he reminds me so much of Corny/Cornelius, which I think was last season... was last season the season of Erin?

Also didn't get the amazing amounts of love for Brandon's "athleisure" "red carpet" design. It was way better than some of the other stuff out there, but he did not almost deserve the win. I love Kenya, but didn't get the praise for her design, based solely on the merits of it being sewn well. Think if she had been able to exaggerate those pockets at bit more, it might have been a little more fashion forward.

Cha Cha should have never been cast. As several others said, he was fodder from jump. I think Batani should have gone home for that egregiously horrible thing she sent down the runway: bad fit, dull colour (and I'm a grey girl), horrible embellishments, and not having the guts to own up to Heidi that she was hiding a gaping hole in the back with that granny doily crap. Did not like, at all, the silver shorts, BUT I thought the dancer's gold thing was one of the most awful things I've ever seen. Not only did it look like a really cheap, just bad, bad, bad costume, BUT the seam in the back was inexcusable. I can do better sewing BY HAND, even using lame'.

Still holding out hope for some better designs to come. I DO have semi high expectations, going forward, for Deyonte, because I agree with Zac: you can tell he likes women and there's not enough of that out there in fashion.

Twins = no bueno.  I'll be FF'ing through nearly all of their scenes, until said scenes involve one - or both - of them departing.

We've been close to something like this with siblings! They said, if one sent home, both would go! I think they changed their minds and only 1 sent packing! My memory's awful, anyone remember them? ;-)

5 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

Was it the twins from the most recent cycle of America's Top Model?

I just remember they got really competitive and started badmouthing each other towards the end, after one of them left, then came back.

Might be, but I've never been a big fan of ATM and only watched it sporadically the 1st 2 seasons! I'm thinking it has to be between "PR" and "Top Chef," but I'm leaning towards "Project Runway!" ;-)

5 minutes ago, dwarmed said:

I've watched every season of Project Runway and I don't remember seeing siblings on the show before. I was also thinking of ANTM, but the twins from the CariDee season.

You might be right! I just know it happened on 1 of these reality shows! There are so many to keep up with starting in '05 with "TC, PR, ANTM," and others!

I don't blame ChaCha (Little Pony/unicorn designer) or Brandon (I've never designed a woman's outfit) for applying to the show, but I have absolutely no clue as to why the judges selected them to actually compete.

• Love 6

Could anyone tell if they gave the designers dress dummies that at least approximated their models' proportions? It would be hard to draw for a more busty gal, for example, on a standard model sized dummy. 

Those twins were way too obnoxious. They're the type that has to be at the center of attention in any party. That shit gets old fast. I can't stand how the bald one speaks and the way she over enunciates everything. Looking forward to when she gets auf'd. That'll give the Katy Perry looking one something to really cry about.

• Love 6

Late to the party but I just watched the show....gotta say I'm the size of Brandon's model and I loved the outfit! I'm probably past the age of crop tops, but I really loved the design and would wear it in a heartbeat. And I'd love to buy Deyonte's dress. 

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 4

I think I might have liked Kenya's dress more if it were in a different color. Like, an actual color.  

I honestly thought it was just her muslin mock-up until she sent it down the runway.

The twins are exhausting. So I'm sure we're stuck with them for many weeks. 

Is it just me or does Brandon have some kind of speech impediment? When he said on the runway that he preferred to let the garments speak for themselves, I was wondering if he was self-conscious. 

Not loving the "Model Mirror" segment. And not loving how the judges asked the models how they felt about the garments. They're models, not clients. I thought we were done with the models after "Models of The Runway" was mercifully axed. Stop trying to make the models happen, show. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Could anyone tell if they gave the designers dress dummies that at least approximated their models' proportions? It would be hard to draw for a more busty gal, for example, on a standard model sized dummy. 

It certainly looked like they had different sized mannequins around the workroom so I would assume that they'd be shifted around to whichever designer would be needing whatever size.

• Love 1

May I tell the judges and Tim to shut the shit up about who someone's "girl" is, already? I mean, obviously she's a girl because nobody over 30 matters in fashion, but she also has very narrow range of available professions, most commonly a NYC gallery owner.

It goes unsaid that the world's female attorneys, librarians, clerical workers, police officers, physical therapists, accountants, shop assistants, etc. all have no choice but to shop at J.C. Penney. Ain't nobody here designing for adult CUSTOMERS!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 24

So with the different size model gimmick this season, does that mean there won't be a Real Woman episode?  I really would not want to give that up.

3 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

I am going to be the lone voice of dissent here. I thought Deyonte's dress was lovely, but I didn't see anything original or uber special about it. Yeah, I know, he did some stuff on the skirt, but..... what he DID accomplish, is to make that model feel beautiful, and there is something to be said for that. I'm also having a little bit of issue with him because he reminds me so much of Corny/Cornelius, which I think was last season... was last season the season of Erin?

Cha Cha should have never been cast. As several others said, he was fodder from jump.

I thought it was a very pretty dress...to wear on vacation at a resort somewhere.  Not as a red carpet dress.

You would think with such heavy input of former PR sewtestants, they would have done a better job casting.  The former sewtestants know what kind of skills--not just design or sewing--are needed to be successful, and clearly Chacha didn't have a prayer.  (And I've always been confused by the yes-yes-yes you're in at casting.  So if they got to 16 all yeses, would they have stopped auditioning?)  When I saw the twin's hoochie mama pants, I was all, good, she'll get aufed, and then Chacha's model walked down the runway...sigh.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was having a chat with my friend about the word "curvy" as a euphemism for "fat." I think it can be ... inaccurate? LIke, Kim Kardashian is curvy but she's not fat. Kenya, the short bald designer here (whose dress I loved, and I liked her portfolio on Road to the Runway), is curvy AND fat - her her bust-waist-hip proportions are curvy/hourglass shaped. I am curvy and medium-sized (size 8, medium in S/M/L sizes, about 5'9"). To me the word "curvy" is more about shape than size.

I agree.  I, personally, am built like a refrigerator with boobs.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, susannot said:

The Voltaggio brothers on Season 6, the very best season of Top Chef.  Were you thinking of them?

Pretty sure the poster was thinking of the African American twins who were in last season's ANTM. One was bald and there was tons of drama. One got eliminated but they brought her back, presumably for more drama.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, susannot said:

The Voltaggio brothers on Season 6, the very best season of Top Chef.  Were you thinking of them?

Oh no, they're hard to forget! I didn't mention them because they're  very competitive; if not with their food, they might beat each other's brains out! I like them and both made the finale with Michael winning in the end! It truly was one of the best season with some of the "best" chefs ever; needing to pair wines early on in the season! Prepare a dish and go interview with it on a daytime show among other tasks! And the most impressive was that French competition near the end called Bocuse d'Or! It's a wonder Kevin ("Mr. Pork!") got away with that since pork is traditionally easy to dry out and to be tough! That's probably why I undercook mines! I like it just past bloody and have taken many chances even in restaurants ordering "The Jackaroo's" med. rare at Outbacks 20 years ago! These crappy chefs of today are lucky to survive a backyard BBQ with the lame challenges the last few years! I rarely watch, but keep abreast just so I can speak intelligently about the show! ;-)

• Love 3

The 3 panelists that selected Chacha were a woman named Carol, a woman named Carolina and Mondo.  No idea who the women are or what their credentials are, but they unanimously agreed he should be on the show.  But I guarantee they didn't make the final decision.

Mondo is actually dead to me, since he & Anya went total Doberman on that hideous travesty of a show "Under the Gunn".  I will never, ever give him any credit or respect after seeing his behavior and bullying the contestants he was supposed to be "mentoring".  He's disgusting. 

I wear clothes, shoes & accessories from JCP, as I'm in Healthcare Admin, and run a very conservative office.  Their quality is pretty good, and while never high fashion, I can always find things that are appropriate and stylish enough.  And they have the cuter stuff that will be off-trend next season, but the younger ladies want now.  

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Mondo is actually dead to me, since he & Anya went total Doberman on that hideous travesty of a show "Under the Gunn".  I will never, ever give him any credit or respect after seeing his behavior and bullying the contestants he was supposed to be "mentoring".  He's disgusting. 

I wear clothes, shoes & accessories from JCP, as I'm in Healthcare Admin, and run a very conservative office.  Their quality is pretty good, and while never high fashion, I can always find things that are appropriate and stylish enough.  And they have the cuter stuff that will be off-trend next season, but the younger ladies want now.  

Mondo warmed up for his ugly performance on UTG by being a complete and entitled asshat on PRAS.

I can't afford high fashion and so I have a fair number of clothes from JCP, and nobody's given me the stinkeye.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was having a chat with my friend about the word "curvy" as a euphemism for "fat." I think it can be ... inaccurate?

It could be both.

Like most words in the English language, the meaning is what the user intends for it to be.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

The 3 panelists that selected Chacha were a woman named Carol, a woman named Carolina and Mondo.  No idea who the women are or what their credentials are, but they unanimously agreed he should be on the show.  But I guarantee they didn't make the final decision.

Never watched "Under The Gun," but got to see a couple of their contestants on All-Stars last season! Sam made it to the final 4 catering to Isaac Mizrahi! Ken was not amused and frequently got into tête-à-tête calling him out & "a b!tch for suckin' up" to him "putting his models in flats since every one knows Isaac loves flats!" Sam was cute, but not half as good a designer as he thought! It was humorous! ;-)

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

bourbon, I thought the exact same thing: why are they treating the models as if they are clients?

Sure, they matter as human beings, but this is a show about designers and designs, not models and their feelings.

I like to watch the modeling competition shows, but the models aren't why I started watching Project Runway. I could do without the "model mirror" segments or the backstage filler segments.

• Love 9