Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: One Size Does Not Fit All

Drogo
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

Mondo and Anya treated Nick Verreos' designers like shit, and Tim allowed it. Some people will never get back on the I Love Tim train.

I won't.  I wasn't happy he allowed the bullying of Alexandria on the Season 12 after show and Under The Gunn was just the final straw.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, loki310 said:

I'm kind of bummed ChaCha was the first to leave.  I was looking forward to seeing what kooky designs he was going to come up with. 

I was too. He's interesting. Like OMG whoa -but interesting. Like Pop Culture Veal, raised indoors on Youtube, reality tv, cartoons, anime (and butter). I cut him some slack for the fat comment because he's not a native English speaker and body words are complicated if you speak the language, more so if you don't. Trying to describe a thin model with relatively bigger hips. Hmmm. I guess I'd use curvy ? Hippy? Pear? None is quite right.

Love the different size models. But like others, Don't love their personal opinions of the clothes. They're not clients, this is their work. There's incentive to say good things. 

While I liked the winning dress, because it felt effortless, my favorite was Kentaro's. 

• Love 7
On 8/17/2017 at 9:04 PM, notcreative enough said:

Can't say I'm surprised or disappointed by who went home. Next up I hope it's the twins. I can't take them it's just too much air time. 

In the promo before the show I do want to know what episode the shit goes down in. It's seemed crazy so I don't want it to be a let down. 

Why do I think that the twins are somehow involved???

• Love 5

Tony, Sorry,  but "most words in the English language" have particular denotations; it was Humpty Dumpty who said that a word means whatever he wants it to mean. 

In the Fashion World,  "curvy" means, to be succinct,  "big AND hourglass." Not fireplug, not pear,  not apple,  and not pouter-pigeon. Ashley Graham,  e. g. 

Episode:

Winner! Deyonte went Big and Bold and thus didn't Go Home! He chose a palette that elevated the traditional African red,  green, yellow, and black. I agree with the "Michelle Obama" comment, as I think Deyonte  purposely presented an homage,  from the colors to the sleeveless design to the hair style!

The others:

Bye-bye, ChaCha! You would have been in your glory with the "Unconventional Challenge"!

Twins: I happen to like their Drama Princesses Elocution! Indeed! Not Shaved Shawn's silver skivvies, though. But Claire with Hair's Dreamsicle Dress was cute; not Red Carpet,  but cute. 

What more can be said about the Hole-y Gray-l? Pointless fuchsia stripes! Hideous panels in the front. Sloppy length. This dress must have been a subconscious expression  of Batani's hating the task. 

The Sack O'Gold. And did you see the model's HAIR?! Was Sentell going for "Daughter of Moloch"?

Amy decided to show "clever, in an Erte kind of way," but lost the plot with the bikini top. 

Sir Brandon of Men's Wear got lucky with Heidi's love of "athleisure" (does there exist a more grating neologism?), except that his outfit was in no way "Red Carpet"---unless for the Cy Young Award.

Margarita's dress was lovely,  IMO! It also lends itself to other unusual but compatible color combinations. 

Aaron's Black and White Wrinkled Mess deserved B3.

Kentaro's Black and White Ruffles outfit was ethereal.

Ayana's Modest Muslim Slinky was too tight in the abdomen and too gray.  

Kudzanai's Code Red was awful,  from the too-heavy fabric to the baggy-for-no-purpose leggings to the asymmetrical top to the stupid shoulder-bag! 

I think I would have preferred  Michael's outfit better if the "fur" top had been paired with a slit skirt in the same material as the trousers.

Samantha's black dress was beautiful.  Great design, classy fabrics, and well-made, fitting her model perfectly.  

Finally,  Kenya's white Mermaid  gown was striking, and with pockets,  not peplum! Kenya also had the smarts to use the Hair and Makeup Salon such that her model looked like Whitney Houston!

Show Format: I'm not sure I like the Mix-and-Match Body Types gimmick (calling it like it is). A Red Carpet Challenge in particular should have been with "Regular Models," IMO.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

So with the different size model gimmick this season, does that mean there won't be a Real Woman episode?  I really would not want to give that up.

At the very least if they do it, I hope we don't see the "ew, breasts and not-flat stomachs" response from the designers that comes up every season with that challenge. No more making people cry!

Chacha was cast for his personality, not his skills. I'm sure the menswear designer was cast because it'll be good tv to watch him struggle, but I don't think he should have applied. This isn't - or shouldn't be, anyway - a learn as you go kind of show.

• Love 3

There probably will be a Real Woman Challenge since the show LOVES to do a "Let's slut you up and shove you down the catwalk in something excruciatingly uncomfortable" episode.  And that only works with volunteers.  

And if the show is smart, that episode will take place AFTER those folks uncomfortable designing for non-models have already been forced to design for the larger ladies.  Get their feet wet, so to speak.  That may keep them from making the Real Women feel like crap.  (Yes Ven, I'm looking waaaaay back at YOU, you asshat!)

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was having a chat with my friend about the word "curvy" as a euphemism for "fat." I think it can be ... inaccurate? LIke, Kim Kardashian is curvy but she's not fat. Kenya, the short bald designer here (whose dress I loved, and I liked her portfolio on Road to the Runway), is curvy AND fat - her her bust-waist-hip proportions are curvy/hourglass shaped. I am curvy and medium-sized (size 8, medium in S/M/L sizes, about 5'9"). To me the word "curvy" is more about shape than size.

And now one of the designers even proposed "hourglass" as another possible replacement. Really? So everyone who's not stick thin has an hourglass shape and gains their weight just in the right places? How about the famous 90-60-90 (or 36-24-36 I think?), very thin, but houglass... or how about people who are pear or apple shaped and don't have a much smaller waist then bust and hip? 

Like you I am already really annoyed how common it is to use "curvy" to describe everyone who's plus-size, but hourglass really takes it way too far and makes me wonder what the designers know about bodyshape, which is necessary to design something flattering.

Edited by tiramisue
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Swim mom said:

Mondo and Anya treated Nick Verreos' designers like shit, and Tim allowed it. Some people will never get back on the I Love Tim train.

I'm one of them.  Between that and his disdain for Swapnil, running to tell the judges he didn't have what Tim considered a good work ethic, I think Tim's a pretentious phony.

• Love 11

I will never be convinced that this was top three. He made her look bigger than she is. She looks like a pinhead atop all that fabric. The skirt looks like a bed sheet with trim. The top looks like a rumpled mess and all the effort (such as it was) went into the strangely knotted trim. It did nothing to enhance her or show her off. Nothing.

pr16-ep1-brk-final.jpg

I didn't realize how bad the sewing was in this until I saw the photo. The back seam and wonky hem are awful.

pr16-ep1-sm-final.jpg

Is she wearing a backwards racerback leotard? With the pants stitched to it so they don't fall off?

pr16-ep1-11.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

I will never be convinced that this was top three. He made her look bigger than she is. She looks like a pinhead atop all that fabric. The skirt looks like a bed sheet with trim. The top looks like a rumpled mess and all the effort (such as it was) went into the strangely knotted trim. It did nothing to enhance her or show her off. Nothing.  This gets a pass from me.  Not top three, but safely in the middle.

pr16-ep1-brk-final.jpg

I didn't realize how bad the sewing was in this until I saw the photo. The back seam and wonky hem are awful.  True.  This was appallingly bad.  But the designer is all kinds of gorgeous to look at, so he can stay while some of the other poor designers leave.  Just give me a couple of weeks to gaze at him, please...

pr16-ep1-sm-final.jpg

Is she wearing a backwards racerback leotard? With the pants stitched to it so they don't fall off?  INDEED, she appears to be wearing just what you described.  **shudder**

pr16-ep1-11.jpg

Margaritas and Kudzanai are pretty easy on the eyes, too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tiramisue said:

And now one of the designers even proposed "hourglass" as another possible replacement. Really? So everyone who's not stick thin has an hourglass shape and gains their weight just in the right places? How about the famous 90-60-90 (or 36-24-36 I think?), very thin, but houglass... or how about people who are pear or apple shaped and don't have a much smaller waist then bust and hip? 

Like you I am already really annoyed how common it is to use "curvy" to describe everyone who's plus-size, but hourglass really takes it way too far and makes me wonder what the designers know about bodyshape, which is necessary to design something flattering.

Exactly. I have an hourglass shape because of what my bust:waist:hip ratio is. My best friend is a short pear-shaped size small. Hourglass, apple, pear - those are all shapes, not sizes. And there's just as much diversity in shape among plus-sized women. Not all plus-sized women are curvy, although I think all the plus-sized models on this show are because of what @LennieBriscoe notes:

5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Tony, Sorry,  but "most words in the English language" have particular denotations; it was Humpty Dumpty who said that a word means whatever he wants it to mean. 

In the Fashion World,  "curvy" means, to be succinct,  "big AND hourglass." Not fireplug, not pear,  not apple,  and not pouter-pigeon. Ashley Graham,  e. g. 

I remember when I still watched America's Next Top Model, at the beginning of one season during the auditions there was a gorgeous plus-sized model who ended up making it on the show and Tyra commented on how she had the right proportions - she was indeed hourglass-shaped, but a larger size (maybe a 14?).

Edited by Empress1
Accidentally swapped "shapes" and "sizes."
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Exactly. I have an hourglass shape because of what my bust:waist:hip ratio is. My best friend is a short pear-shaped size small. Hourglass, apple, pear - those are all sizes, not shapes. And there's just as much diversity in shape among plus-sized women. Not all plus-sized women are curvy, although I think all the plus-sized models on this show are because of what @LennieBriscoe notes:

I remember when I still watched America's Next Top Model, at the beginning of one season during the auditions there was a gorgeous plus-sized model who ended up making it on the show and Tyra commented on how she had the right proportions - she was indeed hourglass-shaped, but a larger size (maybe a 14?).

Tyra was "putting on a few" herself and IIRC, actually awarded a season to a "big girl" so she'd look smaller in the pictures was my guess! lol! ;-)

• Love 5
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Ayana's Modest Muslim Slinky was too tight in the abdomen and too gray. 

The abdomen area looked pretty bad on that skinny model.

Am I just confused about what the definition of "modest" is?  That design didn't show much skin, but I think it's extremely revealing, and can't believe it would fly in a situation where modesty was required.  By this standard, full body paint would also be modest.

11 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

I can't get past my annoyance at the idea I should believe their gimmick is something they really believe in, something I should admire them for doing. Especially Nina. She's been in fashion for decades. If she cared about celebrating different body types she would have made that clear by now, or could have, y'know, featured it in one of the magazines she's worked for. 

I wonder if getting one of the bigger models will work to a designer's advantage, because the judges can exhibit their acceptance of those models by giving the design a high score. 

I will never be convinced that this was top three. He made her look bigger than she is. She looks like a pinhead atop all that fabric. The skirt looks like a bed sheet with trim. The top looks like a rumpled mess and all the effort (such as it was) went into the strangely knotted trim. It did nothing to enhance her or show her off. Nothing.

I totally agree.  How was that in the top three?  Unless it has to do with my theory about having a bigger model being an advantage?  It really did look like a bed sheet with trim.

Is she wearing a backwards racerback leotard? With the pants stitched to it so they don't fall off?

I had noticed the backwards racerback thing, but thought it was just a top, and wondered where her breasts were in relation to the cutout.  But now that I see that it's a leotard--no leotard I ever had was reversible because the front and back on the bottom are cut differently.

• Love 10

Pop Culture Veal

Refresh, this is a brilliant description of the inexplicable ChaCha.  He related everything to some pop culture icon, and you could almost see him nod each time, like "now I understand you, I have categorized you into your box."  I don't know if that was a cultural thing (of the Hello Kitty gay Asian tribe) or maybe he is on the low end end of the autism spectrum and that is the funky way his brain works.  Either way,  casting him on the show was like setting a plump and tender rolled roast in the center of a pack of feral dogs.  Poor kid.

(Posting from my Kindle, so the fancy "Quote this" function doesn't work.)

Edited by HurricaneVal
Make words more better
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Refresh, this is a brilliant description of the inexplicable ChaCha.  He related everything to some pop culture icon, and you could almost see him nod each time, like "now I understand you, I have categorized you into your box."  I don't know if that was a cultural thing (of the Hello Kitty gay Asian tribe) or maybe he is on the low end end of the autism spectrum and that is the funky way his brain works.  Either way,  casting him on the show was like setting a plump and tender rolled roast in the center of a pack of feral dogs.  Poor kid.

Your hypothesis on him is plausible, but I'm with Heidi - you're giving him too much credit. I see him as an immature adult with the mentality of a pre-teen. In Asian culture, it's pretty common for 20-somethings to act all cutesy and child-like. Case in point, the Hello Kitty stuffed animal pined to his top. Not exactly something an average adult would do.

He's pure cannon-fodder and nothing more.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Am I just confused about what the definition of "modest" is?

I was, too. I looked at 10 or so websites that advertised modest clothing (which was a trip down religious alleyways), but most of them seemed to agree that it means some type of sleeve, no cleavage, no cutouts, and nothing above the knee. But tight and clingy are fine, especially in evening wear.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

I can't get past my annoyance at the idea I should believe their gimmick is something they really believe in, something I should admire them for doing. Especially Nina. She's been in fashion for decades. If she cared about celebrating different body types she would have made that clear by now, or could have, y'know, featured it in one of the magazines she's worked for. 

This. I wanted to slap her when she complained that Batani hadn't "respected [the model's] figure." Right, Nina, the way your magazines did with all the articles about dressing to hide your "bad" features.

Tim Gunn is saying he's the impetus for this. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it may be true, but I'm still not getting back on the Tim Gunn love train.

I also agree with those who have said they hope we're not going to be all up in the models' feelings all season. They're professionals and all we need them to do is their job. If the non plus sized models aren't routinely asked about their feelings or shown in front of a mirror, it shouldn't happen with the larger ones, either. Special treatment can be more demeaning than respectful. What will be fun is watching the judges fall all over themselves trying not to talk about size. I'm looking forward to that!

• Love 14

I've probably only read about 10 comments - but I'm coming to the defense of ChaCha. Not all cultures are as PC anal as ours is. On top of that I believe he's from Japan and Japanese women and their sizes run extremely small - it was a fuax pas for him - not a genuine disgust like Sirianni.

I personally didn't think any of them was Red Carpet - but did like Deyonte, Kenya and Amy's designs - not for the Red Carpet tho. I liked the silver leather shorts but again - do these contestants have any clue when it comes to the Red Carpet. The twins can go - and Batani's was the worst with the applique up her behind. ChaCha was quirky and whimsical - I would have liked him to stay around a little longer as I could tolerate him - unlike the twins and Aaron.

• Love 4

I thought Brandon's was going to be bottom 3 - the top was marginal but that skirt...ugh.

I didn't get Kenya in the top either - it was a white mermaid dress that would have been a loser on Say Yes to the Dress. Great construction but pockets is now great design?

That print and how it was draped saved Deyonte because also dull design.

Stop with the Billboard Music Awards as a red carpet, please.

I really liked Michael's faux fur and pin stripes and Amy's convertible outfit.

Of course, compared to shiny shorts, anything looked better. Amy and Margarite are my new faves for the snark alone. The twins are so tedious - double auf would be wonderful.

But while Chacha's was bad, it wasn't an offense against the model, taste and style like Batani's was. That was mall clothes on markdown after they'd been dragged across the loading dock ugly. It didn't flatter the model, it didn't fit, why in the world was there LACE tacked on it, and the back? Just because she has style herself, we don't need Anya 2.0.

• Love 4

It's a bit rich for this show to be self-congratulating about having bigger models this season since given how the bulk of the winners for the "real women" challenges tended to be women who had more traditional, model figures.

• Love 3

Random thoughts since I didn't have a chance to post earlier and didn't want to quote 25 great posts already:

Ooooh I get it; there are spikes on your dress and the model's hair is in spikes!! Wow I love when they go all literal on us... that has to be one of the worst zippers we've ever seen. How that one got a pass I have no idea.

I don't get multiple designers that say they have zero experience in woman's fashion but figure they'll just 'wing it'. Way to prepare yourself to put your best foot forward. How can they think there will be a benefit of showing all their flaws as a designer?

The twins. Must. Die. Indeed. They should never be asked another question to spare my wonderful tv that I don't want to throw a chair at to stop making that... SOUND.

I'm cool on them working together though as I don't think it will increase the quality of their designs, simply cause them to run out of time as they work somehow on two outfits. One can't always end up in shorts to skirt (pun intended) around having to make a top AND bottom. BTW if people didn't catch it they spent FIVE months, the two of them together, on an outfit for Katy Perry. This is why I'm not concerned about the 'advantage' of the two working together to make two dresses in a day. They will be bogged down by their own process. Then one will go and it will be like really old couples that die like a month from each other when one loses the other.

Seems that the vibrant designer who made the grey doily monstrosity needs to work on her Jedi Mind Trick skills. "There is noting being hidden by the lace, you will see you are mistaken and not look too closely!" That was just flat out dumb, or delusional that Heidi wouldn't look under it to see that tragic black hole under the lace. She should have at least sewn the lace down at that spot so they couldn't get under it and see that mess.

Speaking of, she should not have thought that Zac wouldn't have his hands all over that lace to see what's underneath, and on other problem sections. He kind of slid his hands inside a layer of someone's dress didn't he? I continue to be appalled at how he runs his hands over the models constantly. In the name of a fair critique of course!! In our 'behind the scenes' look the guy should have said 'Okay now Tim will walk you down to meet the judges and Zac will pat you down like you're carrying a concealed weapon; it's part of his charm."

Ask a model about her outfit and she'll say "I think it's great!" but what they should say is "I hope I can somehow polish this turd and get to stay another week since, ya know, this is my JOB afterall." Any other comments are superfluous.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

I was, too. I looked at 10 or so websites that advertised modest clothing (which was a trip down religious alleyways), but most of them seemed to agree that it means some type of sleeve, no cleavage, no cutouts, and nothing above the knee. But tight and clingy are fine, especially in evening wear.

So it's just the actual epidermis that offends?  ::roll eyes::

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Random thoughts since I didn't have a chance to post earlier and didn't want to quote 25 great posts already:

Ooooh I get it; there are spikes on your dress and the model's hair is in spikes!! Wow I love when they go all literal on us... that has to be one of the worst zippers we've ever seen. How that one got a pass I have no idea.

I don't get multiple designers that say they have zero experience in woman's fashion but figure they'll just 'wing it'. Way to prepare yourself to put your best foot forward. How can they think there will be a benefit of showing all their flaws as a designer?

The twins. Must. Die. Indeed. They should never be asked another question to spare my wonderful tv that I don't want to throw a chair at to stop making that... SOUND.

I'm cool on them working together though as I don't think it will increase the quality of their designs, simply cause them to run out of time as they work somehow on two outfits. One can't always end up in shorts to skirt (pun intended) around having to make a top AND bottom. BTW if people didn't catch it they spent FIVE months, the two of them together, on an outfit for Katy Perry. This is why I'm not concerned about the 'advantage' of the two working together to make two dresses in a day. They will be bogged down by their own process. Then one will go and it will be like really old couples that die like a month from each other when one loses the other.

Seems that the vibrant designer who made the grey doily monstrosity needs to work on her Jedi Mind Trick skills. "There is noting being hidden by the lace, you will see you are mistaken and not look too closely!" That was just flat out dumb, or delusional that Heidi wouldn't look under it to see that tragic black hole under the lace. She should have at least sewn the lace down at that spot so they couldn't get under it and see that mess.

Speaking of, she should not have thought that Zac wouldn't have his hands all over that lace to see what's underneath, and on other problem sections. He kind of slid his hands inside a layer of someone's dress didn't he? I continue to be appalled at how he runs his hands over the models constantly. In the name of a fair critique of course!! In our 'behind the scenes' look the guy should have said 'Okay now Tim will walk you down to meet the judges and Zac will pat you down like you're carrying a concealed weapon; it's part of his charm."

Ask a model about her outfit and she'll say "I think it's great!" but what they should say is "I hope I can somehow polish this turd and get to stay another week since, ya know, this is my JOB afterall." Any other comments are superfluous.

I can imagine Zac doing that all day long! Since GAY, he won't get the same response as if he were a true letch! A celeb (maybe SJP) took him on a red carpet within the last year and he was the one straightening out the train and everything else for the pictures so that's his thing! His hand is that little extra the eye doesn't catch I guess! lol! ;-)

• Love 2

I can't feel bad for the models. They need to be willing to undress backstage at runway shows and walk in front of audiences in often-flimsy clothes with no underwear. Fitting models especially are used to having male and female hands all over them.

It's funny to me how the judges who are also designers just can't help but feel the fabrics, lift flaps, tug at seams, etc. Heidi's a little more circumspect than someone like Zac or Isaac, perhaps from her decades of being on the other side.

The judges' up-close sniff and sneer segment is honestly my favorite part of the show. Plus Tim graciously announcing each model as if he's presenting her at a debutante ball.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 24
2 hours ago, tessat said:

I've probably only read about 10 comments - but I'm coming to the defense of ChaCha. Not all cultures are as PC anal as ours is. On top of that I believe he's from Japan and Japanese women and their sizes run extremely small - it was a fuax pas for him - not a genuine disgust like Sirianni.

ChaCha, who's real name is Vincent, is from Taiwan, not Japan.  And he went to art school in Chicago.  He's not some poor immigrant right off the boat with no command of the English language or culture, and $20 in his pocket.  He knew what he was saying and his language skills are very good. 

And I honestly never saw anything like disgust towards ANY model from Christian Siriano in his season.  At 22, he actually showed more respect & maturity than other contestants 10 years older.   That's what I saw. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, tessat said:

I'm coming to the defense of ChaCha. Not all cultures are as PC anal as ours is. On top of that I believe he's from Japan and Japanese women and their sizes run extremely small - it was a fuax pas for him - not a genuine disgust like Sirianni.

I think he was from Taipei, Taiwan? I have friends whose families are from Taiwan, and they've laughed about being called "fat" by family when they visited. They were by no means fat by American standards, but they were definitely bigger than their Taiwanese peers. And culturally, there was no problem with using "fat" as a descriptor. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, culturevulture73 said:

I didn't get Kenya in the top either - it was a white mermaid dress that would have been a loser on Say Yes to the Dress. Great construction but pockets is now great design?

It was the only one immediately recognizable as red carpet wear (save perhaps Deyonte, though his fabric said "daytime" to me). That counts for a lot in my book.

2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I'm cool on them working together though as I don't think it will increase the quality of their designs, simply cause them to run out of time as they work somehow on two outfits. One can't always end up in shorts to skirt (pun intended) around having to make a top AND bottom. BTW if people didn't catch it they spent FIVE months, the two of them together, on an outfit for Katy Perry.

Yes, and let us examine the garment in question.

It looks like every other dress she was wearing during her candy phase. A circle skirt with a bustier. No shade - it's what the occasion called for and it looks well made. I wonder why that is the only thing they seem to have made for her, how they made the jump to Betsey Johnson, and why they went from Betsey to freelance design back in Michigan.

I expect to see a lot of these little circle skirts from Claire this season.

buitendorp perry dress.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

Loved the twin imitations haha....hate hate the twins

So glad they auffed Little Pony Unicorn right away....Bye. Many times they keep a no talent too long just for drama Bye clown dress

Surprised Botany put out that drab mess

Loved Devonte's winning dress and Kenya did great

I remain disgusted at the fake "anonymous runway" junk....guess the designer with the head scarf? ???hmmm??

Twins....can we have a double elimination?

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

A circle skirt with a bustier

Five months to make a bustier that makes La Perry look flat chested.  I'm not sure about that as a resume builder.  Are they going to be gone soon?  I would have thought that you keep that information for when it might impress someone.  Maybe they did.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

Five months to make a bustier that makes La Perry look flat chested. 

I hadn't thought of that until you pointed it out. Katy is very busty. It's quite a feat to squash her in there like that. I suspect that's some sort of unconventional material. Looks like it's made of cut up volleyballs or something.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Five months to make a bustier that makes La Perry look flat chested.  I'm not sure about that as a resume builder.  Are they going to be gone soon?  I would have thought that you keep that information for when it might impress someone.  Maybe they did.

Imagine that one of them gets to the finale and has eight weeks, or whatever, to create their entire collection, not five months on one dress.  And what would be the odds that the other twin would refrain from helping her sister throughout the process?  It's not like PR puts them under surveillance.

They both need to leave now, sooner if possible.

• Love 10
On 8/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, Sister Havana said:

HA! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought he looked like Erin from last season. : ) 

Can't unsee it now. Thanks a lot! ;) 

On 8/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, Sister Havana said:

HA! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought he looked like Erin from last season. : ) 

Can't unsee Erin/Aaron resemblance now. Thanks a lot! ;) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

My daughter ran out of clean underwear this morning, so I made her a pair out of tin foil.

Did they really say that one of the prizes is a year's supply of pens?

I thought it was a LIFETIME supply. In our keyboard-centric world, I'm thinking a box of 12 might suffice.

• Love 6

Don't scoff. Those aren't just any pens. The ink is erasable. ;-)

Plus, it's the official pen of Project Runway!

The winner of “Project Runway” will receive $100,000 to launch their line, and the opportunity to collaborate with JCPenney on a limited edition capsule collection as part of the “Project Runway” line sold at select JCPenney stores and online at http://www.jcp.com. In addition, the winner will receive a selection of Brother sewing and embroidery machines, with a retail value of $40,000; a lifetime supply of pens from the Pilot FriXion Erasable Pen, the official pen of “Project Runway” and an all-expense paid luxury trip to Japan, including a 5-star stay near Japan’s fashion center. The prize package also includes the new 2018 Lexus NX, coming this fall, with advance innovation and safety systems standard. Additionally, the winning designer and model will receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/about

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I thought it was a LIFETIME supply. In our keyboard-centric world, I'm thinking a box of 12 might suffice.

Yeah, it's a lifetime supply.

But they're used for sketching, right?  Didn't they use Ipads or some sort of space-age technology one time?  Did they get to keep those?

ETA: Those twins.  Ugh.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But they're used for sketching, right?  Didn't they use Ipads or some sort of space-age technology one time?  Did they get to keep those?

2 minutes ago, dwarmed said:

I can't wait for the challenge to make an outfit using erasible ink pens. 

They had some kind of tablet, don't think it was an ipad but still way more techhy than pens.  I don't think they got to keep them.  So this season we should expect instead of the HP challenge, where they design their own fabric on an HP computer and have it produced, they'll be drawing their designs on paper using erasable pens.  I think we had erasable pens back in the 70s.  Feh.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dwarmed said:

I can't wait for the challenge to make an outfit using erasible ink pens. 

Which would be more fun? Forcing the designers to make dresses by coloring in muslin with these erasable pens or making them construct dresses out of the actual pens and pen parts?

• Love 13

Kenya - This white gown is pretty, sewn nicely. and looks great on the model, but it’s a red carpet cliché. 

Kudanai - Red and pink print day wear with matching leggings that is not remotely red carpet. Which even he must have realized when he paired it with that purse. Still it was much nicer than anything I saw in his portfolio (which he presumably had much more time to create, so what gives)? 

Ayana - Metallic grey dress with florals. Very nice. Though that super long train could have used something or gotten chopped. It got boring as it went along.

Shawn - The hell? The top is nice, but the shorts … why? And what’s with the perfectly sewn elastic waist with the seemingly unfinished bottom hem? And those shoes (I know, JC Penney, but still). Why? 

Batani - She had a portfolio filled with great African prints. Maybe Mood doesn’t carry African prints, but still she couldn’t find any print that she liked? Not one? So she went with this sad grey cotton/poly blend looking thing with tablecloth appliqué placed badly? What? This was every bit as hideous as Cha Cha’s dress and she should have been sent home in a double elimination. 

Claire - Best dressed girl at junior prom.

Brandon - I liked the cut of his clothes from his portfolio but hated the muddy look. Apparently when he gets his hands on colorful prints, he knows what to do with them. This doesn’t look red carpet to me, but I liked it… a lot.

ChaCha - Must have been denied art class in kindergarten and is now taking it out on everyone through his fashion. The whole thing, including him seems like a stunt.

Amy - Nobody actually does a reveal on a red carpet, but I don’t care.  I could see Rihanna trying that move at the Grammys. The cape to long skirt transition was beautiful. I’m not into the bra top, but clearly she spent a lot of time on that phenomenal skirt. She would have been my winner.

Sentell - I take back anything nice I said about his work. Not even 80s Star Trek looked this bad. And that seam in the back was pulling everywhere…  don’t drink and sew. Should have replaced Shawn in the bottom three.

Kitaro - Beachy, Independent Spirit Awards red carpet. I didn’t like it that much, but I still thought it was good, well made, and met the challenge.

Deyonté - Whichever twin said it was right. This is not Cannes. Cannes makes the Oscars look low key. It is nice though, and If you cut the hem just below the knee, then it’s a perfect “Michelle Obama at a summit” dress. 

Michael - Love the pants, and if he paired this with Shawn’s top, this would have been amazing! But the top he made screamed “Who killed black Grover?”.

Aaron - This is ugly, and poorly sewn… and yet it’s better than I would have expected from him. There was an actual practical concept there.

Samantha - This thing is hideous, looks like it weighs 50 pounds and adds bulge to her model right at the stomach. I would have expected her to know that those kinds of pleats would do that on a larger woman. And what’s with the shimmery fabric buried underneath that funereal one? It’s like she was trying to smother all joy from her outfit. A narrow miss for my bottom three.

Margarita - She’s not afraid of clashing color. It’s more of a Bravo Housewives at a tropical vacation pool party number than a red carpet outfit.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Plus, it's the official pen of Project Runway!

The winner of “Project Runway” will receive $100,000 to launch their line, and the opportunity to collaborate with JCPenney on a limited edition capsule collection as part of the “Project Runway” line sold at select JCPenney stores and online at http://www.jcp.com. In addition, the winner will receive a selection of Brother sewing and embroidery machines, with a retail value of $40,000; a lifetime supply of pens from the Pilot FriXion Erasable Pen, the official pen of “Project Runway” and an all-expense paid luxury trip to Japan, including a 5-star stay near Japan’s fashion center. The prize package also includes the new 2018 Lexus NX, coming this fall, with advance innovation and safety systems standard. Additionally, the winning designer and model will receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/about

Yikes! So what is that valued at? $200k at least? Whoever wins better plan on not spending the $100k because they’ll need most of it to pay the taxes on that prize. Assuming they don’t sell the car, sewing machines, etc.

Edited by Caseyh1981
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

ChaCha, who's real name is Vincent, is from Taiwan, not Japan.  And he went to art school in Chicago.  He's not some poor immigrant right off the boat with no command of the English language or culture, and $20 in his pocket.  He knew what he was saying and his language skills are very good. 

And I honestly never saw anything like disgust towards ANY model from Christian Siriano in his season.  At 22, he actually showed more respect & maturity than other contestants 10 years older.   That's what I saw. 

First - I responded with Siriano as I saw his name mentioned up thread - I don't remember most of these people from one season to the next. Second sorry that I didn't bother to pull up Cha Cha's aka Vincent  bio - my bad - but the point that Asian women overall are thin and petite and his experience is probably limited. 3rd - I worked at a state university for 12 yrs - just because these kids go to an American school does not mean they know the US nuances. I worked for years in research with many Asians and even tho they had been here for years getting their masters - they still didn't know nor understand the way we view things in the US. They may have a little more command of the English - but they still said many inappropriate things inadvertently. I appreciate your opinion - but I have life experience and know how hard it is for many foreigners to understand the way we look at things. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
sleepyjean said:

- Thqnk you! I was stunned that it got such high praise. Really!?? It was absolutely hideous- the fabric choices, the "shape", the colors....just ghastly. And yes, it did absolutely nothing for his model. She looked huge!

• Love 7