Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: One Size Does Not Fit All

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 2017-08-20 at 8:52 PM, Jobiska said:

I pre-liked Batani (will admit it was at least partly because, if I recall correctly, she had a cat in her at-home scenes, whereas at least three others had dogs, which are all very well but...).  Was quite perturbed to see her intentionally make it look like her model stopped in the bathroom and got toilet paper stuck on her rear!  

I don't know if it's okay to talk about previews in this forum--I know some of the other PTV ones are strict about it--but I don't see a speculation board and I see others have talked about it.  I'll delete this bit if necessary.  I don't think Batani is the one accused of cheating, unless Kentaro's accusation is baseless (or perceived as such by almost everyone else), because in that section, where she's breaking down sobbing, about 6 hands are coming in from all directions patting her on the shoulder etc.  I dunno--I kind of wish I hadn't seen that scene, because other than being annoyed by the twins (especially them taking on the role of hosts in the beginning, I mean, come on!), I don't really dislike anyone, and even they I just find annoying (I confess I watched Twinning, and didn't mind them horribly on there, but then again for a lot of that show all the twins lived separately except when competing, so they didn't do that talk-together, play off each other, etc. and also everyone was on more of a level playing field as far as advantages go, rather than only them having previously worked together as on PR).  Anyway, now I'm going to be on edge until that scene comes and goes.

Unpopular opinion:  I kind of like the model cam/model responses!  To each their own.

I watched twinning as well and hated everyone by the end that I just gave up but I find it funny how at least three are trying out a reality career. The twins with this show, that emo pair that participated on ink master and tapped out and the Staten island twins as clients on TLC's Hair Goddess.

Edited by Lilacly
  • Love 1

This season's gimmick of various-sized models could backfire. In past Real Woman challenges, the designer with the tallest, thinnest, closest-to-runway-stats client usually wins. Unless the powers that be get super crafty with model & designer pairings, they could end up with all of the non-traditional sized models getting eliminated fairly quickly. Unfair as it is, your garment had better be stellar if it isn't being worn by a woman of the expected runway size. If they are truly committed to fair representation then have a season with ALL plus-sized models, not this kinda sorta nod to inclusion. They were so hell-bent on a winner who designed for plus-size women that they handed the win to Ashley in her season, and her stuff was not good. (I realize that this flies in the face of what I just said above, but I strongly believe that the fix was in for that season.) If all of the designers in her season had been assigned plus-size models for every challenge, she would've gotten an early auf.

• Love 4

So agree about Ashley!  All that cheap see through fabric hanging around the models' legs, and those flowerpot headpieces. 

I hated Ashley's designs even more than Gretchen's and that's saying something. And for someone who grew up in Hawaii, she had no sense of color at all.

Random thoughts: Back to this episode, I'm liking some of the designers so far, though I'm sure that the editing monkeys will turn them all into Hannibal Lecter by the end of the season.  At this point, I'm putting the twins into the "fun to snark on" box, rather than the "annoying as hell" box, though if I had to share a workroom with them, it would definitely start to grate.  Their mutual lovefest is pretty annoying.  I'm very interested in what Amy comes up with and how far she will go.  It must have been a real relief not to be aufed in the first challenge--how would that have looked to her students?  Though perhaps teaching fashion doesn't necessarily mean that she will be a shoe-in this season.  I can't, for example, imagine Tim making it far if he ever competed.  I'm also looking forward to see how Margarita does as well.

Brandon seems very introverted and/or shy.  

This season's gimmick of various-sized models could backfire. In past Real Woman challenges, the designer with the tallest, thinnest, closest-to-runway-stats client usually wins. Unless the powers that be get super crafty with model & designer pairings, they could end up with all of the non-traditional sized models getting eliminated fairly quickly.

It wasn't that way in the first episode.  We'll have to see if the judges revert to form.  I think that they are going to focus much more closely this season on fit and whether it actually looks good on the model, but their subconscious biases could favor the thin models again if they aren't careful.

On August 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM, odduck said:

They can't be. She's a gimmick contestant, just there to tick a box.

Is there a box they have not ticked? Have we had a totally blind designer yet? I am all for diversity but I wonder sometimes if they just sit in a room and dream up the most unique type of person possible (designing talent aside). We are due for co-joined twins if the show carries on. Which is fine, if they can design.

The shaved head woman is intolerable. Please don't keep her around for her annoyance factor, though it would be fun if she gets mocked every week...

• Love 2
On 8/19/2017 at 8:32 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Which would be more fun? Forcing the designers to make dresses by coloring in muslin with these erasable pens or making them construct dresses out of the actual pens and pen parts?

The bald twin would design her swing skirt in middle-school notebook art. "Joanie Loves Chachi" "Mrs. Cue Ball-Hancock" "Whirled Peas" etc. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Y'all, the Avon makeup studio and the JCPenney accessory wall. Remember when we joked about PR having the Walmart accessory wall? We're almost there.

Mmm-hmm.  Penney's and Avon.  And they couldn't get any salon to sign up for hair.  Yeow.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Elizabette said:

The bald twin would design her swing skirt in middle-school notebook art. "Joanie Loves Chachi" "Mrs. Cue Ball-Hancock" "Whirled Peas" etc. 

Sorry to be gross but I just almost snorted out actual snot over "Mrs Cue-Ball Hancock."

• Love 1
15 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Wonder if they'll call back the no pins, just spit designer from year two or three, the original (IIRC) "she's pooping fabric" or was that some other box ticker?

I thought "pooping fabric" was Blayne from season 5.

24 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:
16 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Wonder if they'll call back the no pins, just spit designer from year two or three, the original (IIRC) "she's pooping fabric" or was that some other box ticker?

I thought "pooping fabric" was Blayne from season 5.

You may be right.  I remember him for having been a Barista (and I had to go look up what that was).

I remember Elisa for using huge amounts of fabric, but I can't remember which specific fashion pooped fabric.  (Wonder if Google can bring that up?)  ETA yep. I had fotgotten just how poop-y it was

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, mamadrama said:

Not sure why Brandon was so stressed about his model's body. Isn't this the same guy who tends to design larger, looser-fitting clothes anyway? Or is this the cock ring guy? 

The twins can go at any time.

Yes the twins can go ASAP.    A double elimination would solve the problem   I don't know which one is more annoying!    I am just getting to read about Episode 1, and saw Episode 2 last night.   On an annoying scale of 1 -10 they are at least a 12 (each).     Sadly they are both there next week, not that I could blame the judges for letting someone else go last night.     That person deserved it.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, chitowngirl said:

But look at Christian Siriano now-he is well known for designing kick-ass red carpet looks for curvy women.

I agree about Christian S., except I think basically his concern was because it was it was a competition and it could be a problem.   And the little s--t that was his model didn't make it any easier with her attitude.   He has done some beautiful gowns for larger women and older women too.   I love his work ---- sometimes dramatic, sometimes just classic with a bit of an edge. Happy he has been successful, despite sometimes his attitude could use an adjustment from time to time.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2017 at 0:59 AM, patty1h said:

Brandon's outfit... Ugh.  My head exploded when I heard that several judges liked it and Olivia Munn would wear it. I want some of the glue they've been sniffing if it made that outfit look good to them.  I thought it was a new level of tacky.

Thank you for this.  I couldn't believe how butt ugly that was and how they raved about it.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2017 at 6:00 PM, Rhondinella said:

So I'm not the only one who mutes the tv when the twins are speaking right?

Yeah, I thought so.

I am deaf and lipread.  Muting the TV doesn't help me with the twins.  Trying to lipread them makes me feel like I am inside a rock tumbler.  Just saying.

• Love 15

I love that ChaCha was auf'd first for something that looked like it was designed by last season's winner. Heh. 

I think he should have been saved: at least his design tried to do something, and his questionable comments about his model's body can be chalked up to being ESL. I was disappointed by how Batani conducted herself on the runway. 

• Love 3

Shawn and Claire talk like Little Edie Beale. If one of them says, "This is the revolutionary costume for the day" I will lose my shit.

Was Chacha's model "fat"? Or even plus size? Pfft, bye, Felicia, and take your unicorn poop with you.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, eurekagirl mOo said:

Forgot to say--To all the Real Housewives of BH watchers, NOT YOLANDA!!! That woman is vile, a fake, and a phony. Thought I'd seen the last of her. Her only "claim to fame" is marrying rich men and having Bella Hadid as her daughter. Is she going to wear her white jeans on the show? Or maybe it will be a "sick" day and she'll wear her bathrobe so we can all see her SUFFER! Sorry--Off topic---I just really dislike her and her being a judge just makes me stabby. 

@eurekagirl mOo, you don't want to see more of Yolanda's "JOURNEY"?  Hopefully, we don't have to hear anything about her journey or about her Munchin-howzen-wowzen.

• Love 1

I was a big fan of this when it was on Bravo and decided to check out season 18 which I have fallen in love with. Once I caught up on that I wanted to watch season 17, but for some reason it's not available on Hulu, so I decided to watch this season so I could see where things left off in the Lifetime years. This is honestly like a completely different show, both from season 18 and the previous Bravo seasons. The product placement was incredibly cheesy and amateurish, the drama is amped up to 1000 and the quality of garments just isn't there the first two episodes. I'm going to stick with it and will consider watching the other Lifetime seasons, but I was definitely shocked to see what this show had become. The twins in particular were insufferable.  

• Love 1