Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E01: The Stakes Have Been Raised (Double Episode)

• Start Topic

On 3/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, sadiegirl1999 said:

I think I'm the only person in the world who hates Sandra.

I don't think she's great and I don't think she's funny. She's pleasant to others when she's getting her way but is hell on wheels when you cross her.

I feel Michaela gets skewered for being this way but not Sandra.

You aren't alone.   It kills me that a grouchy cuss like Sandra has two million dollars and is still a grouchy cuss.  

I hated this episode until Tony was eliminated.   Two hours of the Tony and Sandra show pushed me to the limits of my tolerance.  If Tony had lasted, he would have been given 3 out of every 5 confessionals in every episode hereafter.    I don't like Sandra, but I will always appreciate that she saved us all from another season of All Tony All the Time.    No one ever mentions that the main reason Tony won his season had less to do with his skill and everything to do with Wu's utter stupidity.

Am I the only one who almost completely forgets the players after their season ends?   I have no idea who Malcolm or JT, Caleb or Troyzan or Varner are/were, let alone how they "changed the game," even though I have watched all 34 seasons.   I recognize the Millennials (Aubrey.  Ugh.) because they were most recent, and Debbie because she looks like Elmira Gulch, and Ozzy because he's Ozzy, but otherwise it's amnesia time.    It's annoying that the show assumes we all recall them vividly.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, millennium said:

No one ever mentions that the main reason Tony won his season had less to do with his skill and everything to do with Wu's utter stupidity.

I think Trish's own stupidity should be thrown in.  He went rogue against their alliance so many times, but she kept on trusting him when she should've made a move on him.  He ended up taking her out instead.

• Love 9

Yeah, Survivor is back!

With everything that's been written so far, I'm going to take most of my comments to the individual player threads.

I'm not sure I like this new rule for ties at TC, but I reserve the right to change my opinion if it plays out in a way I like (i.e. if it helps players I want to see stay longer in the game).

Editing wasn't great this episode. I wish we could have seen how Sandra and (I suspect) Hali manage to turn the tide before the votes.

• Love 4
On 3/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, sadiegirl1999 said:

I think I'm the only person in the world who hates Sandra.

I don't think she's great and I don't think she's funny. She's pleasant to others when she's getting her way but is hell on wheels when you cross her.

I feel Michaela gets skewered for being this way but not Sandra.

Only person? Hell no! I haven't been a fan since her first appearance.  The sooner she leaves the better.  

• Love 3

Battle for worst poker face: Tai or Michaela? Tai: looking down at the ground and not saying anything in the response to a yes/no question is fairly telling. Michaela just can't control herself or the looks her face makes. She responds to anything that slightly may effect her negatively. Who'd have though she'd go off over being a fake nom? I think that "she's scary" more meant they better interact with her very carefully because you don't know what will tip her off.

I can only hope Sandra's hubris will get her booted. She's nasty.

I like the idea of he 'crazies' season but I'm still waiting for Probst to get his wish of an 'Alpha Males' season Survivor: Brokeback Mountain that will actually be staged entirely on a gay cruise ship.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 12

I was excited about this season ever since I found out about the cast and my anticipation was huge for it to start. After watching this double episode though I feel like a kid you have promised to take to the candy store 2 months later and the anticipation becomes so huge that when it actually goes to the candy store there are so many things to choose from that the whole thing becomes overwhelming and it just wants to go home. I think throwing at us all these returning players who we love (most of them at least) becomes too much. I mean, every season the first 7-8 boots we are mostly like "beh who cares?". Now whoever leaves we'll be salty cause we'll forever think "what if he/she had stayed? what would they have done?".

Regarding Cierra, I think she has nothing more to give to the game even before the last time she was on it (Second Chances). Even then Wentworth did all the work. Yelling to them at tribal council to play the game like she wants it is no good to me. I'm happy a dull player is gone.

Regarding Tony, you might love him or hate him but everybody will forever wonder what would he have done if he had stayed. I mean, Tony is so unpredictable. Maybe next episode he'd do something that would remain in Survivor history forever, I find him capable for it. I'm sad to see him go though I understand how annoying he must seem doing all this crazy stuff.

I still love Varner and Zeke. Ozzie seems to me like that old boyfriend from highschool that you used to die for and now you look at him and wonder why the hell you liked him that much back then. His ability with challenges remains extraordinary but other than that he has no depth.

I found Cirie pathetic. She is almost useless in challenges (unless there is a puzzle), she doesn't seem to be doing much work at camp, she has no particular strategy other than beg everyone not to betray her and I don't find she brings anything new to the game other than her charming personality. I hope this changes soon.

JT was one of a kind on his season that's why he won. Now he is just one more in a bunch. Does he seem to have any strategy at all?

I was impressed with Caleb doing some thinking. Btw, for someone who said earlier that Caleb on BB would not take NO for an answer, I may remind you that that chick never told him a straight NO and she herself invited him to a date. Anyway.

I'm indifferent for Hali, Sierra and Andrea who are only there for the eyes of the male population. None of them has a Parvati or even Wentworth in them.

That's it for now!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

Saying CAP is equivalent to military service is akin to saying serving cookies in the USO qualifies you for OCS.  :P

hmmmmm.....that could explain some of the officers I came across back in the 80s, tho.....

To put this back into the episode, I *did* miss the ever-changing career titles under Debbie's THs.

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Malcolm still looks extremely hot.  I just never cared much for his personality - there's no X factor.  He's so......... there's a huge lack of something.  Heart, humour?

16 hours ago, djlynch said:

Please tell me that I'm not the only person who has to stop and remember which of the handsome but somewhat personality deficient dudes with long blonde hair is Malcolm and which is Joe from Worlds Apart and Second Chances.

You guys!!!  Malcolm is the Hot Survivor Dude who actually has an amazing personality and sense of humor!  The one who's smart and cool and called Abi a Dementor!  You crazy forum people are the ones who love 1000% dullsville losers like Joe and Ken!

Oh well, (huff puff, get ahold of yourself KimberStormer) I guess that means more Malcolm for me.

18 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I was scratching my head at the new rule being applied to a vote split, because I thought a vote split meant like, a 4-3 or a 5-4 -- "put enough votes on someone so that if they play an idol, someone else you don't like goes home, and the other side can't get numbers to send someone from your side home." I can't even remember an even vote split that led to a re-vote. I suppose this incentivizes people not to flip in a vote split, but I also can't recall a time where someone has flipped on a vote split and forced a tie either.

With gamers like these, I feel like they want to eliminate people walking into tribal council prepared to go to rocks -- so that it's 20 minutes (for the viewers) and 90 minutes (for the show) of theater from the contestants because nobody is flipping. That wastes the producers' time and Jeff Probst's time. I feel like they're saying not eliminate a tie vote, but eliminate the drama involved in "vote, now re-vote, now try to decide, now go to rocks" when the mindset of all the contestants is already "go to rocks." If that makes any sense.

ETA: Though I suppose they risk a whole "Tyson can't count" situation with a vote split, if it immediately goes to rocks. I don't know -- I feel like this was done for producer convenience, not to eliminate drama in a foregone conclusion.

OK so let me explain how I'm thinking.  Most split-vote scenarios require a tie.  Let's say you're against a 3 person alliance and you have 7.  Plan Voodoo/the split-vote means you now vote 4-3-3, and if an idol is played, it's 3-3: a tie, so now the two vote-getters don't vote and you vote 6-2 and your enemy is eliminated.  Flawless plan, unless Tyson is in your alliance!  Or if they have 3 and you have 6, you go 3-3-3, and if nobody plays an idol, it's a tie: so you vote 5-2 and win, same deal.  But neither of these work anymore.  Now if you vote 4-3-3 and they play an idol, you are fucked because it's a rock draw and there is a 6-to-2 chance your alliance loses, and a 1-in-8 chance that you go home.  The only way you can split the vote now is if you have an overwhelming advantage like 9 to 3, so you can go 5-4-3, and that's pretty rare.  Realistically, I think we won't see any split votes anymore.

Split-votes can seem boring, because they mean the Pagong can proceed even if the minority alliance has an idol.  But as we've seen, from JT taking out Cirie in HvV in one of my favorite moves ever, to Stephen Fishbach marinating in his greatest moment in Cambodia, split votes are very dangerous for the majority because they make it much easier for flippers to flip and upend the game.  And as a single idol play rarely does much (Jenn in Worlds Apart, for example, accomplished nothing but making herself more sad, because she was forced to be around Dan and Will for another week) but a flip can really change the game, I personally think this was a bad rule change that will make the game worse.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, himela said:

Regarding Tony, you might love him or hate him but everybody will forever wonder what would he have done if he had stayed. 

I found him and his entire original cast so horribly dull that I quit watching that season. I didn't even know that he won until the following season. So, really I am just glad he's gone. Now, I can rest assured that he won't steal focus from people I want to watch. His attempts to build a burrow and desperate attempt to get others to chase him were more than I could stand. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jzygayle said:

To put this back into the episode, I *did* miss the ever-changing career titles under Debbie's THs.

Oh, give her time. I'm waiting to hear her say she's one of the private citizens going to the moon.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think they had to have done Final Words with her. It doesn't make sense that they would just skip it, but it really kicks some sand in her face that they didn't air it.  I mean for a three-time returning player and student of the game, it's got to sting.  And I'm taking it as a sign that there probably won't be a fourth time for her now, which is totally fine with me. 

I was surprised at the omission of Ciera's Final Words - but considering how one of her earlier THs indicated she found the notion of being a season's First Boot both embarrassing and distressing, she may have simply been too upset for Production to get anything usable.

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Oh, give her time. I'm waiting to hear her say she's one of the private citizens going to the moon.

Debbie would probably say she's already been.  And some of us might guess she's there right now, and never really came back.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Sugar said:

Someone upthread mentioned a season of "Crazies", and now I DESPERATELY want this to be a thing. Can you imagine Philip and Debbie comparing notes on working in the "Federal service" and trying to one-up the other? And then throw in Coach, Tony, J'Tia, Judd, Shane, Natalie Bolton, Matt the machete-sharpening weirdo from Amazon all on one tribe?!?! That would be my Survivor dream.

Oh yeah, that was me with the "All Star Crazy" season and I love your suggested cast, along with someone else's AbiMarie because I'm sure she would help J'Tia  dump out rice if they got mad together. 

Slowpoked said:

"You can add Debbie from Kaoh Rong, Tarzan from OW, Tony from Cagayan, Na'onka from Nicaragua (although I wouldn't really like to reward a quitter by giving them another chance to play)."

I was hoping someone else would want Na'onka, she was more mean than crazy but she could stir everyone else up.

It would all be worth it just to hear Jeff announce something like, "Survivor Samoa -- Looney Tunes!"

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 1

So this is only my second season of watching therefore I only know Zeke and Michaela.

I am not okay with throwing a crate of live chickens over the side of a boat into the sea. *Yes I saw it had floats but still, not cool show).

I will be even less okay if there is goat killing.

Apart from that - Tony was hypermaniciacallycraycray, Sandra was a total bitch with the stuff after tribal and he was leaving. Wish we'd seen how she switched up the voting tho.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, slowpoked said:

You can add Debbie from Kaoh Rong, Tarzan from OW, Tony from Cagayan, Na'onka from Nicaragua (although I wouldn't really like to reward a quitter by giving them another chance to play).

No Colton please. He's not crazy, he's just plain despicable.

A deep dive for Survivor: Crazies is Billy Garcia, from Cook Islands, who created an entire love story in his head with Candice. From the Survivor Wiki:

At the end of the Immunity Challenge on Day 6, Billy Garcia told her he was next to go on his tribe Aitutaki, who would be attending Tribal Council that night. Candice told him "we love you" ("we" as in Rarotonga), which Billy misinterpreted as "I love you", and so Billy told Candice he loved her. Billy told his tribe and Jeff that night at Tribal Council that his prize from the game was falling in love with Candice, although no one took him seriously.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I like the idea of he 'crazies' season but I'm still waiting for Probst to get his wish of an 'Alpha Males' season Survivor: Brokeback Mountain that will actually be staged entirely on a gay cruise ship.

That would be an awesome spectacle!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Yeah, Survivor is back!

With everything that's been written so far, I'm going to take most of my comments to the individual player threads.

I'm not sure I like this new rule for ties at TC, but I reserve the right to change my opinion if it plays out in a way I like (i.e. if it helps players I want to see stay longer in the game).

Editing wasn't great this episode. I wish we could have seen how Sandra and (I suspect) Hali manage to turn the tide before the votes.

Hali??? How could she turn any tide? Nah. I am thinking Sandra and Troyzan.

Edited by Lamima

So just got a chance to watch last night - - I'm still feeling euphoric--that was SO good!

Love that no one even bothered to challenge Ozzy's swim for the tools.  I halfway expected Michaela to do it just because.

My girl, Cirie!  Ozzy better back off.

Varner cracks me up.  He had no time for Probst 's heckling.  And his talking heads are the best.  Him relishing the war between Sandra and Tony was TV gold.

JT has got zero patience for Tai and his chickens.  Tai?  I love you but this time around, as Cirie said, "There will be blood." Chicken blood.  And possibly goat.

Troyzan finding Tony digging his spy bunker?  Love.  Tony looked so guilty.

Sandra.  I have mixed feelings.  I've never liked her but damn if she doesn't make me laugh sometimes.  Her explaining how Tony was trying to cop interrogate her "like the po-po do" made me like her a little.  Her gloating at Tony's departure was funny and brazen but probably not smart.

Michaela needs to chill.  Seriously. 

How can Debbie not know how to pronounce Cirie's name??

Malcolm's performance at the IC was mad impressive.

Loving every moment so far!

• Love 7

I love Sandra, but it looks like she now believes her own hype. Which is 100% counter to how she played before and will absolutely for certain get her voted out before the merge. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Awful cast.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

She was one of Tony's "allies" (even though they voted for each other), alongside Malcolm and Caleb.  And while Sandra did want Tony out, she did agree with the assessment that they need to keep some tribal strength.  So Aubry was the secondary target in case Tony had an idol.

And Sandra's vote for Aubry was to ensure that Tony didn't get to unilaterally decide who got voted out (likely Sandra herself) if he idoled himself safe.  In that case scenario, it would have been a 1-1 tie between Aubry and Sandra.  And with the new rules, there would have been a discussion instead of a revote.  Sandra had pulled everyone else together against Tony, so she was likely to survive the discussion.  Which meant either Tony would have to sacrifice Aubry, or both women would become safe and everyone else would draw rocks.  And Tony would be the one taking the blame for that result at the next TC and get voted out then.

I get why the Sandra-Tony alliance was doomed to failure.  Tony was too squirrely.  Yes, he allied with Sandra and then found her talking with Troy.  If he'd merely waited until Sandra was alone, she would have told him that Troy was trying to form a counter-alliance and was indeed gunning for Tony, so he should probably be the first target.  But Tony couldn't wait, so he confronted both of them.  And Sandra couldn't spill her new secrets in front of Troy.  So she told a lie to cover up both her real alliance (Tony) and the fake one that thought it was real (Troy).   Tony's inability to think just one step ahead is what cost him an ally and the game.

I'd much rather play with Sandra than Tony.  She's a stable and predictable alliance mate, and able to share control of the alliance.  Tony is none of that.  That's what makes him a liability in a tribe on an early-game losing streak.

My heart/like button won't work on my tablet so I just wanted to say I like this post. This makes complete sense.

14 hours ago, Vyk said:

Zeke wasn't the precious little snowflake of the editors. 

He wasn't?!

11 hours ago, ratherbereading said:

Sarah is delusional though if she thought she had a great social game. 

Me and my sisters busted out laughing at that. Her delusion is delicious!

17 minutes ago, pfk505 said:

Awful cast.

Yes.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, deaja said:

By the way, until last night, I thought the Caleb that was returning was the one from the Friends and Family season. I was so confused at first.

Malcolm, JT, and Ozzy were all so good looking. Malcolm still is, and Ozzy is to some degree. I'm wondering if JT gained weight to prepare for the island, and if he might improve as the game goes on.

That Caleb died so yes, that would be confusing.  

It seems like JT was a little bit pudgy arriving in Tocantins?  Not dad-bod like now, but not hot like he was at the end.  

22 hours ago, Special K said:

What brainiac was it that asked Troyzan if that was his real name.  The hell ?!? 

Michaela, I think.

41 minutes ago, absolutqt said:

How can Debbie not know how to pronounce Cirie's name??

Malcolm's performance at the IC was mad impressive.

It's like Debbie's thinking she's Shirin?  

Malcolm was good but I was surprised they didn't give Michaela some tosses.  Wasn't she ALWAYS the one who did any throwing on her season?  Or am I thinking of Sierra Thomas on hers or some other athletic woman?  I know Michaela was THE challenge beast of her season.

I'm already tired as shit over the "what did ____ do to change the game?" crap.  In my opinion, no player has changed the game.  I would say the introduction of idols changed the game but other than that this is pretty much the same game it has been for all 30+ seasons.  

And it's not like they chose this cast with that theme in mind.  They tacked it on the cast when they couldn't fit the original theme plan.  It's not like they could've called it "Random Past Players We Liked" or something.  

26 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

And it's not like they chose this cast with that theme in mind.  They tacked it on the cast when they couldn't fit the original theme plan.  It's not like they could've called it "Random Past Players We Liked" or something.  

Could call it 'Random Interesting Past Players'...RIPP and after this season, may they also Rest In Peace (well, most of them, Malcolm and Aubrey can return). Also, rip as in they are so easy to rip on.

Edited by Lamima
20 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm already tired as shit over the "what did ____ do to change the game?" crap.  In my opinion, no player has changed the game.  I would say the introduction of idols changed the game but other than that this is pretty much the same game it has been for all 30+ seasons. 

The only person I can think of who really changed the game was Brian Heidick.  Love him or hate him, he was the genius who came up with the bring-a-goat strategy that changed the game forever.

You might also say Ciao Boi for dreaming up (literally) the crazy concept of splitting the vote. (Even though I think Yul took credit for it.)

Maybe those would things would have happened anyway, but those two were the ones who did them first.

I want to say that Sandra changed the game by winning despite being  straight-on mean and ornery, but I think perhaps that goes back to the original, Richard Hatch.

• Love 7

The two people who most changed the game are Cesternino who pioneered the flipping back and forth and manipulating everyone style AND knowingly playing to the cameras. And then Coach who created the modern archetype of delusional asshole who dominates camera time which has dominated Survivor for a while now (Coach three times, Russell three times, Phillip twice, Tony once and mercifully briefly a second time, Dan, etc.)

• Love 3

Had Tony voted for Sandra and had an idol, she had a good chance of going home. Tony's votes are cancelled, Aubry & Sandra end at 1-1 tie. Tony has no reason to flip as he's immune and I don't know that the rest of the tribe would have been willing to put their game on the line for Sandra. If she wanted to assure her safety she needed one other to vote for Aubry.

Either she had a pretty good reason to think Tony didn't have the idol or she hadn't thought through the new tie rules fully. She clearly knew that Aubry was going to be voting for Tony, (otherwise one vote would never have been enough) so all that that vote did was solidify in Aubry's mind exactly where she is in Sandra's pecking order. 

10 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I found him and his entire original cast so horribly dull that I quit watching that season. I didn't even know that he won until the following season. So, really I am just glad he's gone. Now, I can rest assured that he won't steal focus from people I want to watch. His attempts to build a burrow and desperate attempt to get others to chase him were more than I could stand. 

You hit it right on the head. I actually liked Cagayan, think it's a good season, and it had good players (Spencer, Tasha, etc.), but watching Tony till the end, ugh, it was an exhausting season to watch. When Spencer was voted off, it was the first time I didn't finish the season. All Survivor seasons that I started I finished watching till the end, even though my favorites have been voted off earlier. I couldn't stand two more episodes of Tony yapping without anyone else good beside him.

And then to hear of Wu's ultimate blunder. Such a downer.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That Caleb died so yes, that would be confusing.  

Yikes, I had no idea. :(  That's really sad.  

57 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I laughed out loud at Caleb spelling it TONI.  

Oh, please, please, Caleb, be one of those survivors who spell everyone's name wrong!!!   I'm still cracking up over Ralph's "Krasta."* 

*yes, I know, he probably has dyslexia

21 minutes ago, Special K said:

Oh, please, please, Caleb, be one of those survivors who spell everyone's name wrong!!!   I'm still cracking up over Ralph's "Krasta."* 

That was another good one.  And Franchesqua.  The spellings always crack me up.  

Remember Tarzan's issue with names?  That was kind of funny.  

1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

It was his first time to vote, give him a break. :xD

At least he didn't have trouble figuring out how to open the marker...

Oh and I loved the shout-out to poor delusional Billy "I found love" Garcia. Maybe our 'crazy' season could just be called 'Survivor: Hall of Shame'. They have to then have a spot for 'Francesca' to have a shot at being vote out first three times in a row.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I would say the introduction of idols changed the game but other than that this is pretty much the same game it has been for all 30+ seasons.  

Heretic!

The following are deviations from the True Faith

• 42 day Survivor
  • Tribes based on age, race, sex, etc
  • The ability to transfer Immunity necklaces
  • Swaps, kidnappings, mutinies
  • 18/19/20/whatever person Survivor
  • Outcast tribe
  • Returning players
  • Immunity idols
  • F3 at FTC
  • 8/9/Whatever sized Jury
  • Redemption Island
  • Exile Island
  • Quitters on the Jury
  • Casting relatives
Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 7

Pardon me @KimberStormer but *I* gave Malcolm hearteyes way back on page one so you have to share.

While I always liked Joe, he was also Beta Malcolm to me so it's nice to have the real thing back on my teevee.  He's SUCH a target though if he makes the merge.  Stay strong Malcolm!  Also, shave the pornstache.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

At least he didn't have trouble figuring out how to open the marker...

Oh and I loved the shout-out to poor delusional Billy "I found love" Garcia. Maybe our 'crazy' season could just be called 'Survivor: Hall of Shame'. They have to then have a spot for 'Francesca' to have a shot at being vote out first three times in a row.

You can have your Hall of Shame or Season of Crazies, as long as it's Hantz-free.

I think Shane from Cirie's first season would be a splendid addition.  And the middle-aged lady who made up Survivor songs and got voted out on the beach in (I think) Tom Westman's season.  And one of the "Four Horsemen" or the woman who fell off the platform and didn't know how many zeros were in $1M.   Hall of Shame would be a better title for a cast of just first-outs and non-medical-related quits.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

You hit it right on the head. I actually liked Cagayan, think it's a good season, and it had good players (Spencer, Tasha, etc.), but watching Tony till the end, ugh, it was an exhausting season to watch. When Spencer was voted off, it was the first time I didn't finish the season. All Survivor seasons that I started I finished watching till the end, even though my favorites have been voted off earlier. I couldn't stand two more episodes of Tony yapping without anyone else good beside him.

And then to hear of Wu's ultimate blunder. Such a downer.

I recently watched that season and it was extremely painful to watch to the end. I HATED that Tony won.

• Love 3

I think winning on this show is much more luck than skill, which is why Sandra bragging about winning twice rubs me the wrong way. Taunting Tony was over the top, too. I know he kind of started it, but she could have kept it a little classier. She just thinks she's amazing, whereas I think outcomes in this game don't prove skill or a lack thereof.

My main reason for hating returning player seasons is the effect of pre-game relationships. None of us really know who has vowed to ally with others before the cameras started rolling. I'm guessing Ciera didn't have any alliances lined up because her tribemates pretty quickly formed a unanimous vote against her.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

I think winning on this show is much more luck than skill, which is why Sandra bragging about winning twice rubs me the wrong way. Taunting Tony was over the top, too. I know he kind of started it, but she could have kept it a little classier. She just thinks she's amazing, whereas I think outcomes in this game don't prove skill or a lack thereof.

My main reason for hating returning player seasons is the effect of pre-game relationships. None of us really know who has vowed to ally with others before the cameras started rolling. I'm guessing Ciera didn't have any alliances lined up because her tribemates pretty quickly formed a unanimous vote against her.

I think that happened to Stephanie on that returning season, HvV, where she was voted off right away. She mentioned not hanging out with all the former survivor cast much.

Edited by Lamima
4 hours ago, Special K said:

The only person I can think of who really changed the game was Brian Heidick.  Love him or hate him, he was the genius who came up with the bring-a-goat strategy that changed the game forever.

You might also say Ciao Boi for dreaming up (literally) the crazy concept of splitting the vote. (Even though I think Yul took credit for it.)

Maybe those would things would have happened anyway, but those two were the ones who did them first.

I want to say that Sandra changed the game by winning despite being  straight-on mean and ornery, but I think perhaps that goes back to the original, Richard Hatch.

Hatch created the game - he came in thinking alliances and the social aspects, nobody else did.  But he didn't really change it - there was nothing to change at that point.

I love how so many of these players think everyone is a big threat.

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Hall of Shame would be a better title for a cast of just first-outs and non-medical-related quits.

I always wanted a first-out season but now I realize that would give Probst another reason to include Ciera, Who Voted Out Her Mom.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, TheFinalRose said:

I always wanted a first-out season but now I realize that would give Probst another reason to include Ciera, Who Voted Out Her Mom.

How about first-outs that have NEVER returned before? I think that might be interesting. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

You guys!!!  Malcolm is the Hot Survivor Dude who actually has an amazing personality and sense of humor!  The one who's smart and cool and called Abi a Dementor!  You crazy forum people are the ones who love 1000% dullsville losers like Joe and Ken!

Oh well, (huff puff, get ahold of yourself KimberStormer) I guess that means more Malcolm for me.

OK so let me explain how I'm thinking.  Most split-vote scenarios require a tie.  Let's say you're against a 3 person alliance and you have 7.  Plan Voodoo/the split-vote means you now vote 4-3-3, and if an idol is played, it's 3-3: a tie, so now the two vote-getters don't vote and you vote 6-2 and your enemy is eliminated.  Flawless plan, unless Tyson is in your alliance!  Or if they have 3 and you have 6, you go 3-3-3, and if nobody plays an idol, it's a tie: so you vote 5-2 and win, same deal.  But neither of these work anymore.  Now if you vote 4-3-3 and they play an idol, you are fucked because it's a rock draw and there is a 6-to-2 chance your alliance loses, and a 1-in-8 chance that you go home.  The only way you can split the vote now is if you have an overwhelming advantage like 9 to 3, so you can go 5-4-3, and that's pretty rare.  Realistically, I think we won't see any split votes anymore.

Split-votes can seem boring, because they mean the Pagong can proceed even if the minority alliance has an idol.  But as we've seen, from JT taking out Cirie in HvV in one of my favorite moves ever, to Stephen Fishbach marinating in his greatest moment in Cambodia, split votes are very dangerous for the majority because they make it much easier for flippers to flip and upend the game.  And as a single idol play rarely does much (Jenn in Worlds Apart, for example, accomplished nothing but making herself more sad, because she was forced to be around Dan and Will for another week) but a flip can really change the game, I personally think this was a bad rule change that will make the game worse.

You take Malcolm, and I'll take Joe (even if his hair is getting a tad out of control for my liking-I saw a picture of his sister from behind with her hair down, and thought it was him). 

As I said, I understand why they are going for the rule change (and I 100% believe they think it'll lead to more rock draws, which to them equals better TV).  However, I see it backfiring on them, especially if they knew about it ahead of time.  I agree that sometimes they need to shake things up, but I don't see this accomplishing what they hope it will.  It's going to make people less likely to flip. 

How about first-outs that have NEVER returned before? I think that might be interesting. 

I would really love for them to do a pre-jury season.  There's a lot of good boots I think they could grab, and no one would have seen their game.  It'd almost be like a season of newbies.  After this season, I'd like for them to think about bringing the same people back over and over again. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Battle for worst poker face: Tai or Michaela? Tai: looking down at the ground and not saying anything in the response to a yes/no question is fairly telling. Michaela just can't control herself or the looks her face makes. She responds to anything that slightly may effect her negatively. Who'd have though she'd go off over being a fake nom? I think that "she's scary" more meant they better interact with her very carefully because you don't know what will tip her off.

And the funny part is, she knows it.  In one of her TH's, she ran her hand down her face in an effort to change her usual "WTF" expression and the one she replaced it with was all kinds of not-normal...raised eyebrows, pursed lips.  She looked a bit deranged, IMO.  I actually like that about her - she simply cannot control her face when confronted with whatever pisses her off.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing her team up with Ozzy and go on some monster immunity challenge run.  Hopefully wearing her emotions all over her face won't be her downfall.

• Love 11
39 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I would really love for them to do a pre-jury season.  There's a lot of good boots I think they could grab, and no one would have seen their game.  It'd almost be like a season of newbies.  After this season, I'd like for them to think about bringing the same people back over and over again. 

I would love to see that too but I don't think it's in the plans in the near future. Jeff Probst was asked by Dalton Ross specifically of this concept - bring back together all first boots and give them a second chance. Jeff said they actually have considered it, but in the end decided they don't have enough interesting characters for a full season.

Maybe if they expand a bit more to pre-jury players who have never played more than once, they'll get what they're looking for. After all, Jeff's first love, Boston Rob, was a pre-jury player before TPTB laid it out for him to come back multiple times and finally win.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Jeff said they actually have considered it, but in the end decided they don't have enough interesting characters for a full season.

"Characters"? Yuck. I will translate: too many women and older people, not enough alpha males. 

• Love 15