Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

I read either on tv.com or tvbythenumbers.com that Minority Report was the first official cancellation.

I know tvbythenumbers has called it as a 'dead show walking,' because of the cut from 13 to 10 scripts. That's as good as cancelled, but I haven't heard anything 'official' yet on it.

I've hated Nicole with the fire of thousands of burning suns since she broke Rachel Crow's heart on the 1st season of the US X Factor by not voting to save her in an elimination (with the judges votes & the audience votes combined, Rachel lost

I've disliked Nicole Scherzinger since The X Factor, too. She was just awful and arrogant on that show in general, even at the beginning when she screwed Corbin Bleu out of a job as fellow announcer so could have the spotlight all to herself only to then take Cheryl Cole's job instead. So much desperate backstabbing--I was so happy she was fired. That show just never worked in the US, and she was one of the biggest reasons it failed out the gate.

• Love 2

There's "cancelled" and officially cancelled. No one think Minority Report has a chance and some sites may end up reporting on it as being cancelled but it's not cancelled until Fox releases everyone from their contracts. Of course, at this point I doubt anyone will pause before casting someone from Minority Report on their pilot.

There's "cancelled" and officially cancelled.

Right. Last year's first official cancellation looks to have been Manhattan Love Story, although several others were firmly in the 'cancelled' column...Mulaney and Selfie to name a few. Interesting that Mysteries of Laura also had some bad buzz this time last year, (this is all coming from the first page of the this topic) but it's still around.

It looks like the first official announcement was October 24, and we had a later than usual start this year so it may be a few more weeks.

Best Time Ever looks interesting, and if anyone can get a variety show off the ground these days, Neil Patrick Harris can, but it would amaze me if this show lasts 'til Christmas. Hell, I'd be impressed if it sees Thanksgiving. (Canadian Thanksgiving.)

Well, it survived Real Thanksgiving, but moving it up against The Flash and NCIS is probably the last nail in its coffin.
  • Love 1

Interesting that Mysteries of Laura also had some bad buzz this time last year, (this is all coming from the first page of the this topic) but it's still around.

The Mysteries of Laura started out with really bad reviews but the early ratings were good with overall viewers but just okay with younger viewers. I had a feeling it might be one of those shows critics hate but people watch anyway.

• Love 2

The Mysteries of Laura started out with really bad reviews but the early ratings were good with overall viewers but just okay with younger viewers. I had a feeling it might be one of those shows critics hate but people watch anyway.

Ah. The Matlock Effect, I call that.

Or maybe these days it's The NCIS Effect.

• Love 1

The ratings for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend were apparently dreadful.  Even with the CW desperetly trying to hide the fact the show was a musical in the promos, and the number of promos at that, it still flopped.  I don't get why the networks still try it with making high-concept shows with very, very narrow appeal.

I guess the question now is will Crazy Ex-Girlfriend get to air its full initial order or will it get yanked before that because the ratings will most likely keep falling.

The ratings for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend were apparently dreadful.  Even with the CW desperetly trying to hide the fact the show was a musical in the promos, and the number of promos at that, it still flopped.  I don't get why the networks still try it with making high-concept shows with very, very narrow appeal.

I guess the question now is will Crazy Ex-Girlfriend get to air its full initial order or will it get yanked before that because the ratings will most likely keep falling.

Why would they buy a high concept and then hide the concept? They just hit critically, I don't know about the numbers but it was renewed with Jane The Virgin. Is the series adapted from some source making it a "name" property?

It joins Minority Report and Blood and Oil. Creatively, none of these are disappointments.

IIRC, Jane the Virgin had terrible ratings but it had critical acclaim so I suspect these are shows that CW really hopes Netflix will pay for. The buzz over Crazy Ex-Girlfriend seems to be starting up. I'm not sure what's worse these days, start small and hope to build and audience or to start huge and hope the week-to-week drops aren't so big.

There does seem to be a slight change in strategy; normally they'd just pull an underperforming show off the air ASAP, now at least the networks are letting the shows play out what episodes are produced.

There does seem to be a slight change in strategy; normally they'd just pull an underperforming show off the air ASAP, now at least the networks are letting the shows play out what episodes are produced.

And in some cases give them time to try to wrap up their story arc. When Vegas with Dennis Quaid and Michael Chikalas got canceled in its first year you can tell from the story that they flashed forward the entire planned second season to give us the series finale. Similarly you can tell from the thirteenth episode of Joan of Arcadia "Jump" was produced as a potential series finale but it was picked up for the full season and then ended on a cliffhanger after the second as they were expecting more time.

I remember hearing about the pilot way back when and was interested in Wicked City. Then the promos started coming on ABC and that's when I found out Erika Christensen had somehow worked her way onto the show. She was the only Braverman kid on Parenthood who I wanted to go away so badly. I don't know why she annoys me so bad as an actress but she does. I had all the episodes of WC so far on the DVR and would go back and forth on starting to watch. Once the cancellation news hit I just deleted them all. 

According to the NY Times, networks are actually giving shows more time before pulling the plug than they have recently.

The ABC drama “Wicked City” was the first show of the new television season, now nine weeks deep, to get the ax. Industry executives said it was the longest period in recent memory that it took so long for a show to go under.

This is not because of the strength of the freshman class from the four major networks, which includes heavily marketed shows that have failed to draw big audiences, including “The Muppets” on ABC and “Scream Queens” on Fox. Instead, it speaks to a gripping anxiety that has spread throughout an industry where hits are in short supply and network officials are becoming extra cautious about dropping something too soon.

I am sad about Wicked City mostly because I liked the premise of a female serial killer. I would watch an entire show with that alone but I get that Wicked City itself wasn't exactly great TV.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

This is not because of the strength of the freshman class from the four major networks, which includes heavily marketed shows that have failed to draw big audiences, including “The Muppets” on ABC and “Scream Queens” on Fox. Instead, it speaks to a gripping anxiety that has spread throughout an industry where hits are in short supply and network officials are becoming extra cautious about dropping something too soon.

I'm not sure I believe this is the real reason.  I think it is more along the lines of there is not enough bench strength on any of the networks to fill the schedule by putting mid-season replacements on early or filling the schedule with reruns of popular shows that get at least as many eyeballs as the dreadful failures.

• Love 2

Telenovela (NBC) wasn't on my radar, but now I'm seeing ads with Zachary Levi (just a guest role, it seems) and Amaury Nolasco in them, so now I at least have to check out a couple episodes.

• Love 1

Didn't the producer of Bastard Executioner publicly ask for it to be canceled?

Yes.  Sort of.  I think if it had been a ratings success or a critical success, there would be another season.  And I've seen speculation that he has worked with FX long enough that he could have pushed for another season and maybe gotten one.  But in the end, he saw the writing on the wall and kind of gave the FX head "permission" to cancel the show.  As in, "yeah, it's a dead show walking and there will be no hard feelings if it ends."

Did Crazy Ex-Girlfriend get 13 eps or are the 8 listed on IMDb as many as we're gonna get? I just binged the first six and it's hilarious. More please.

The CW has ordered more episodes of it and iZombie as noted here.

• Love 1

Did Crazy Ex-Girlfriend get 13 eps or are the 8 listed on IMDb as many as we're gonna get? I just binged the first six and it's hilarious. More please.

As Jaded said, it got renewed for the rest of the season. They just may have had what networks are now calling "the fall/midseason finale" after 8 eps, taking a break, for now, with more to air possibly before or most likely after the Thanksgiving & December/New Year's holidays.

• Love 1

I think this has been the first tv season since I have had a DVR that I have had only 1 show on that DVR.  Chicago Med is the only one that had managed to keep my interest past the first 3 episodes.  I started out the season with Code Black & Quantico but they quickly lost me. 

I'm looking forward to "Telenovella." I love those big, over-the-top parodies. I've seen the previews with Eva Longoria, and they look fun. Plus muscular Latino men who are frequently shirtless.

I'd be on board if it seemed like it would be done as well as Rogelio's show on Jane the Virgin but so far every promo is the same rip off your shirt joke but in a different setting.  I like the idea but they aren't selling it to me very well.

I'm mainly looking forward to the mid season limited series like Galavant, Agent Carter, and X Files.

• Love 1

Amazingly, nothing. Usually I can barely keep track of all the shows I want to check out, but now there is absolutely nothing, and I'm just watching 2 ongoing shows at the moment, both going on winter break. How did it come to this? I'll be watching nothing in the next months. It doesn't seem possible. It's never happened before. Wtf.

ETA: Well, there is The Expanse, I guess. I'm not particularly excited about it (I still remember Syfy's attempt this time last year, i.e. Ascension, which crashed and burned), but I will give it a shot.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1

So far the only new shows this year that I am still with are:

Killjoys

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Chicago Med

Grandfathered

Looking forward to seeing

The Catch

Expanse (haven't tried it yet)

The Family

The Real O'neals (is this still happening?  haven't heard)

Lucifer

I've watched 2 episodes of The Expanse and will probably manage to watch more, but I am very unimpressed. I can't even decide why, except that everything seems derivative and nothing is engaging (those 2 being separate issues).

Things are so bleak that I am going to give a chance to an MTV show! The Shannara Chronicles in January.

ETA:

The Real O'neals (is this still happening? haven't heard)

Yes, but just in March. Edited by Crim
  • Love 1

Agent Carter starting soon.  weeeeee!

Looking forward to Galavant as well.

I'll watch the final season of Downton Abbey for completeness.

Is Better Call Saul starting soon?  I hope so, I miss that show.  And the Americans.

And that's about it these days.

Back in August I posted:

Most looking forward to:

Leftovers Oct. 4

Fargo Oct. 12

Manhattan Oct. 13

--and all 3 did not disappoint. Fargo was even better than I expected.

But in September I posted about The Expanse and Childhood's end, neither of which I was able to get past an episode or two. The Expanse had too much gratuitous violence for me, and Childhood's End was like a spinoff of Under the Dumb Dome--in spite of the presence of Manhattan's Ashley Zuckerman.

So, around the corner in 2016...

New stuff that I will at least glance at:

• 2nd Chance (Fox, Jan. 13, Wednesday) because crime drama+scifi, but not expecting too much
  • Colony (USA, Jan. 14, Thursday) because Josh Holloway deserves a look, and it might be District 9-ish, but no high hopes
  • Billions (ShowTime, Jan. 17, Sunday) because Damian Lewis
  • Angie Tribeca (TBS, Jan. 17, Sunday, then Jan. 25, Monday) because it has a good trailer, but not sure about the binge format or the comedy.
  • Vinyl (HBO, Feb 14, Sunday) because "talkin' 'bout my generation," and I liked Aquarius for that reason
  • X-Files (Fox, Feb. 15, Monday) just because it's out there
  • 11.22.63 (Hulu, Feb. 15, Monday) because James Franco and time travel
  • The Path (Hulu, Mar. 30, Wednesday) because Aaron Paul of BrBa
Returning stuff I plan to continue watching unless one or more of the above takes over my viewing time:

Madam Secretary (CBS, Jan. 3, Sunday)

Limitless (CBS, Jan. 5, Tuesday)

Elementary (CBS, Jan. 7, Thursday) because Joan's clothes and Jonny's diction

Agent Carter (ABC, Jan. 19 Tuesday)

Better Call Saul (AMC, Feb. 15, Monday)

Major Crimes (Feb. 15, Monday)

Orphan Black (BBC "Spring 2016")

And if I have time and need to veg:

Unforgettable (Jan. 1?, Friday)

Scorpion (CBS, Jan. 4, Monday)

Mysteries of Laura and also L&O SVU (NBC, Jan. 6, Wednesday)

The Good Wife (CBS, Jan. 10, Sunday)

BBT (CBS, Jan. 7, Thursday)

Castle (ABC, Feb. 1, Monday)

Rizzoli & Isles (Feb. 16, Tuesday)

Maybe Modern Family whenever

Did I get any of the dates wrong?

Edited by shapeshifter

Fresh Meat season 4 (Jan. 5) Woo!

The Fall season 3 should start fairly soon I expect, since it was included in a mash-up trailer together with Luther (Dec. 17) and Sherlock (Jan. 1).

Episodes, Scott & Bailey and Happy Valley also can't get here soon enough.