Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, kieyra said:

For the other two or three Sense8 viewers out there, there's a two hour Christmas special that dropped today and is absolutely delightful. (And sad and sexy and scary.)

It's been so long since I watched the first season. I hope I can get right back into the feel of the show, because I really did love it when I watched it last year. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's been so long since I watched the first season. I hope I can get right back into the feel of the show, because I really did love it when I watched it last year. 

I was shocked at how fast it all came back. It's still very much the same show. Including the, er, orgies. :)

Yeah, the title is kind of confusing... wouldn't "New, Cancelled, and Returning" encompass, like, every TV show ever?

I'm guessing it is to discuss recent cancellations, new shows, and shows that are recently returned, but that is a really broad combination.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, palmaire said:

Is it general discussion for shows that don't have their own forums? Not being sarcastic, just new around here.

This topic is a place to discuss TV show news: like if a show was just canceled or just announced/renewed. 

If there's an upcoming show or a show currently airing and you don't see a forum for it in the Shows Index, you can request one here.  

• Love 1

Inaugurating this new/old topic and hoping the 'The 2016 - 2017 TV Season: What Are You (Not) Watching?' crowd will find it...

On 06/12/2016 at 7:05 PM, possibilities said:

So what's new for January; does anyone have a good list of "new shows" coming this winter?

Sidereel has finally published theirs: http://www.sidereel.com/topic/midseason-preview-2017. They usually get a lot wrong with their Pick/Pan choices, but I like the format to see concise summaries of all the new shows at once.

I'm planning on watching A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Good Fight, The Handmaid's Tale and Big Little Lies (which has an incredible cast), and I really hope new sitcoms Making History (Adam Pally/Leighton Meester) and Powerless (Danny Pudi/Vanessa Hudgens) will be good too.

A million other shows sound interesting, but I'll wait for the reviews before starting anything else.

Meanwhile, I watched Good Girls Revolt during the holidays and now I'm heartbroken it was cancelled. I loved it more and more with every passing episode. It had a lot of potential...

Edited by GinnyMars

The Young Pope is starting soon in the US, I've watched the first season and I loved it. I starts slow though, I was intrigued but not sold for a few episodes but ultimately I've loved that all the characters are much more nuanced that appears at first glance and that the show kept on surprising me in regards to the characters, in good ways.

I've started watching Medici on Netflix, I'm two episodes in. It's amazing to me to see the history of the Italian family I've read the most about recreated in a reasonably accurate manner (time to reread all the books I have on the Medici family!) and of course I go *gleeeeee* at each sight of a place I've walked around, to, from, etc. over the years. Sorry, I have a thing with that city, Florence. Also, nice that we start three generations before the most famous Lorenzo, because Cosimo was truly a brilliant man, as well as a would be artist who ended up being a banker (no wonder I can relate...). Hopefully there will be enough episodes/seasons to explore the whole rise and fall of the Medici and beyond. The acting is excellent, well everything is. Dustin Hoffman was unexpected but he works well and in profile, well, he truly looks the part! Won't say more but would love it if there are other viewers out there.  

Edited by NutMeg
because while DH works the part, I meant that he looks the part
  • Love 4
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 7:34 AM, NutMeg said:

The Young Pope is starting soon in the US, I've watched the first season and I loved it. I starts slow though, I was intrigued but not sold for a few episodes but ultimately I've loved that all the characters are much more nuanced that appears at first glance and that the show kept on surprising me in regards to the characters, in good ways.

I've started watching Medici on Netflix, I'm two episodes in. It's amazing to me to see the history of the Italian family I've read the most about recreated in a reasonably accurate manner (time to reread all the books I have on the Medici family!) and of course I go *gleeeeee* at each sight of a place I've walked around, to, from, etc. over the years. Sorry, I have a thing with that city, Florence. Also, nice that we start three generations before the most famous Lorenzo, because Cosimo was truly a brilliant man, as well as a would be artist who ended up being a banker (no wonder I can relate...). Hopefully there will be enough episodes/seasons to explore the whole rise and fall of the Medici and beyond. The acting is excellent, well everything is. Dustin Hoffman was unexpected but he works well and in profile, well, he truly looks the part! Won't say more but would love it if there are other viewers out there.  

I'm gonna have to check this out.

First I'd heard of the series.

4 hours ago, topanga said:

Why? (just asking)

From the article:
"The fact that all four of the original stars were excited about getting back into production" 
"The show was the highest rated sitcom in the 18-49 demo from 2001-05"

• Love 2
18 hours ago, topanga said:

Why? (just asking)

MacGyver, Lethal Weapon Hawaii Five-0, 24 Legacy, Prison Break..... Somebody had to try it with a sitcom, even if society has evolved to the point that nobody cares about the political/social hook that sold Will & Grace anymore. Will & Grace the Golden Years might have a shot, but I doubt it.

• Love 2
On 5/14/2016 at 6:46 AM, Lord Donia said:

Now you made me curious, so below is the current list. It amuses me that nobody even pretends to track bottom feeder cable networks like TLC/Discovery, Food Network, Spike, etc.

Agent Carter (ABC)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Angel from Hell (CBS)     Canceled after five episodes
Bordertown (Fox)     Canceled after one season
Castle (ABC)     Canceled after 8 seasons
Chasing Life (Freeform)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Community (Yahoo)     Canceled after 6 seasons
Containment (The CW)     Canceled after one season
Cooper Barrett's Guide To Surviving Life (Fox)     Canceled after one season
Crowded (NBC)     Canceled after one season
CSI: Cyber (CBS)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Da Vinci's Demons (Starz)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Defiance (Syfy)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Dominion (Syfy)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Extant (CBS)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Faking It (MTV)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Galavant (ABC)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Game of Silence (NBC)     Canceled after one season
Graceland (USA Network)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Grandfathered (Fox)     Canceled after one season
Hannibal (NBC)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Heartbeat (NBC)     Canceled after one season
Legends (TNT)     Canceled after two seasons
Married (FX)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Minority Report (Fox)     Canceled after 10 episodes
Nashville (ABC)     Canceled, but may be picked up for 5th season elsewhere
Of Kings and Prophets (ABC)     Canceled after two episodes
Rookie Blue (ABC)     Canceled after 6 seasons
Second Chance (Fox)     Canceled after two episodes
Telenovela (NBC)     Canceled after one season
The Bastard Executioner (FX)     Canceled after one season
The Brink (HBO)     Canceled after one season
The Family (ABC)     Canceled after one season
The Grinder (Fox)     Canceled after one season
The Muppets (ABC)     Canceled after one season
The Whispers (ABC)     Canceled after one season
Togetherness (HBO)     Canceled after 2 seasons
Undateable (NBC)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Under the Dome (CBS)     Canceled after 3 seasons
Wicked City (ABC)     Canceled after 3 episodes

----------------------

12 Monkeys (Syfy)     TBA, currently in season 2
Code Black (CBS)     TBA, likely renewed for season 2
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (CBS)     TBA, currently in season 1
Damien (A&E)     TBA
Family Guy (Fox)     TBA, likely renewed for season 15
Last Man Standing (ABC)     TBA
Limitless (CBS)     TBA, likely renewed for season 2
Luther (BBC America)     TBA
Mysteries of Laura (NBC)     TBA
Rush Hour (CBS)     TBA, currently in season 1
Satisfaction (USA Network)     TBA, currently in season 2
Stitchers (Freeform)     TBA
The Americans (FX)     TBA, currently in season 4
The Knick (Cinemax)     TBA
The Librarians (TNT)     TBA, currently in season 2
The Odd Couple (CBS)     TBA, currently in season 2
True Detective (HBO)     TBA, likely renewed for season 3
Turn (AMC)     TBA, currently in season 3
The Player (Fox)     reduced to 9 episodes, likely canceled
Truth Be Told (NBC)     reduced to 10 episodes, likely canceled
Blood and Oil (ABC)     Reduced to 10 episodes, likely canceled
Louie (FX)     On extended hiatus

----------------------

Beauty and the Beast (The CW)     Ending after season 4
Continuum (Syfy)     Ended after 4 seasons
Downton Abbey (PBS)     Ended after 6 seasons
Episodes (Showtime)     Ending after season 5
Falling Skies (TNT)     Ended after 5 seasons
Getting On (HBO)     Ending after season 3
Girls (HBO)     Ending after season 6
Hell on Wheels (AMC)     Ending after 5 seasons
Hemlock Grove (Netflix)     Ended after 3 seasons
Mike & Molly (CBS)     Ending after 6 seasons
Person of Interest (CBS)     Ending after season 5
Rizzoli & Isles (TNT)     Ending after season 7
Royal Pains (USA Network)     Ending with season 8
Switched at Birth (Freeform)     Ending with season 5
The Good Wife (CBS)     Ended after 7 seasons
The League (FXX)     Ended after 7 seasons
Vampire Diaries (The CW)     Ending after season 8, according to Ian Somerhalder

Nashville was canceled by ABC but it was eventually picked up by, & is currently running on, CMT (I don't watch, but some BIG stuff happened in this week's ep, which aired last night).

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 2:50 PM, topanga said:

Why? (just asking)

At least partly because the cast got together during the Presidential campaign to make a video, as their W&G characters, supporting Hillary Clinton & the video was posted online & went viral. They apparently had so much fun doing the video they started talking about bringing the actual show back, on a limited basis. NBC picked up 10 eps.

• Love 2

I still watch Will & Grace every single night.  It produced 5 or 6 quality seasons out of 8.  It's one of the best shows of all time in my opinion. Karen and Jack are iconic.  Why not.

With some of my favourite shows being brought back it's like I'm almost living in a fantasy world.  I'm all for it in all cases.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

CBS has ordered an apocalypse-themed summer show to air later this year - there have been a bunch of casting announcements for Salvation, including Santiago Cabrera (which is where my interest lies), Ian Anthony Dale, Jennifer Finnigan, Charlie Rowe and Jacqueline Byers. I don't really know much about the different US television networks - what is CBS like, what's their reputation and track history? Is this show likely to be any good?

7 hours ago, ABay said:

Ooooh, Santiago Cabrera! Even if the show is terrible, there will at least be someone to gaze at. Best Aramis ever.

7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not to mention Lancelot!

EXACTLY! But I am curious to know what this show's chances are - they've gone straight to a season order, so the network seems confident in it, but I'm curious to know more about CBS. What are their other shows like, how cancellation-happy are they, that sort of thing?

The show's blurb is all about the discovery of an asteroid that's just six months from striking Earth, so a secret team is assembled to try to prevent the disaster.

7 minutes ago, Llywela said:

EXACTLY! But I am curious to know what this show's chances are - they've gone straight to a season order, so the network seems confident in it, but I'm curious to know more about CBS. What are their other shows like, how cancellation-happy are they, that sort of thing?

They're stereotyped as the "old people's network."  It's one of the Big 4 (or 5 if we include the CW) networks available to most people in the country even without cable.  As one of the major broadcasters, it airs original programming during the day and in prime time.  Therefore, it's kind of hard to judge the quality of the shows since the network airs so many programs.  It's easier to judge cable networks since they're usually more selective about what they choose to air.  They only have original programming on one or two nights.  CBS is mostly known for its procedurals like the NCIS franchise, Elementary and Criminal Minds.  It also airs comedies like The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mom and The Great Outdoors.  And for a long time, it aired The Good Wife which was widely considered to be the best drama on a major non-cable network.  Other summer series include Under The Dome and Braindead. Quality can vary wildly. I think it might be better to look at the creators' pedigree than base it on the network. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They're stereotyped as the "old people's network."  It's one of the Big 4 (or 5 if we include the CW) networks available to most people in the country even without cable.  As one of the major broadcasters, it airs original programming during the day and in prime time.  Therefore, it's kind of hard to judge the quality of the shows since the network airs so many programs.  It's easier to judge cable networks since they're usually more selective about what they choose to air.  They only have original programming on one or two nights.  CBS is mostly known for its procedurals like the NCIS franchise, Elementary and Criminal Minds.  It also airs comedies like The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mom and The Great Outdoors.  And for a long time, it aired The Good Wife which was widely considered to be the best drama on a major non-cable network.  Other summer series include Under The Dome and Braindead. Quality can vary wildly. I think it might be better to look at the creators' pedigree than base it on the network. 

Thank you! That's pretty much what I wanted to know. 'Cause, I know networks like Fox and the CW by reputation, but I've never really heard much talk about CBS.

22 hours ago, Llywela said:

CBS has ordered an apocalypse-themed summer show to air later this year - there have been a bunch of casting announcements for Salvation, including Santiago Cabrera (which is where my interest lies), Ian Anthony Dale, Jennifer Finnigan, Charlie Rowe and Jacqueline Byers. I don't really know much about the different US television networks - what is CBS like, what's their reputation and track history? Is this show likely to be any good?

Key word, summer. Summer apocalypse shows seem to be popular, but they don't last long. If they're popular, they might get a second summer. Imho.

CBS also has a tendency to cancel shows they don't totally own even if they're good--Person of Interest and Limitless, for example--so some of the new show's chances might hinge on that.

• Love 2

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-03/bbc-axes-daytime-drama-the-coroner

This news sucks. I really like this show, it's fluffy and fun with gorgeous settings.  I have been watching the first series here in the US on PBS.  I hope they will air the second series. I don't get why this is cancelled - it's popular and got good ratings.

I don't know what the BBC is doing these days, they managed to lose "The Great British Baking Show" , another one of my favorites. Shakes head.  Their programmers must  not be the brightest bulbs.  Hello, if it's popular you should stick with not cancel. Idiots.

My boyfriend was saying at least they renewed "Endeavor" and I was saying to him that is not a BBC show.  And luckily so for it probably.

If The Coroner was a cancelled US show I could hope that netflix might pick it up.  Sigh.

• Love 2
On 04/03/2017 at 0:17 AM, magdalene said:

I don't know what the BBC is doing these days, they managed to lose "The Great British Baking Show" , another one of my favorites. Shakes head.  Their programmers must  not be the brightest bulbs.  Hello, if it's popular you should stick with not cancel. Idiots.

The BBC didn't cancel Bake Off; they were gutted to lose it. The production company sold it to another channel when they reached the end of their present contract - the Beeb was outbid, basically.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The BBC didn't cancel Bake Off; they were gutted to lose it. The production company sold it to another channel when they reached the end of their present contract - the Beeb was outbid, basically.

Well, if you have something terrific you gotta fight to hang on to it and be willing to pay the price. Wasn't the Baking Show a big ratings hit for the BBC? They should have paid what it took to keep it. 

4 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Well, if you have something terrific you gotta fight to hang on to it and be willing to pay the price. Wasn't the Baking Show a big ratings hit for the BBC? They should have paid what it took to keep it. 

The BBC is funded by licence payers' money - there are very, very strict rules over what they can and can't do with that money.  If another channel is prepared to bid over the odds for a single show, the Beeb simply can't match them.

• Love 3

ABC Network in Australia has announced that the upcoming fifth season of The Doctor Blake Mysteries is going to be the last and that they'll be filming a telemovie to finish off the series (which possibly means that S5 won't air until they've filmed the telemovie)

They've made a lot of comments about wanting to go out on top, but this is a network decision and not one made by cast or producers, so it's very disappointing and yes there are "save Doctor Blake" petitions and a Facebook page to try and get them to reconsider- or get another network to pick it up. 

15 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

ABC Network in Australia has announced that the upcoming fifth season of The Doctor Blake Mysteries is going to be the last and that they'll be filming a telemovie to finish off the series (which possibly means that S5 won't air until they've filmed the telemovie)

They've made a lot of comments about wanting to go out on top, but this is a network decision and not one made by cast or producers, so it's very disappointing and yes there are "save Doctor Blake" petitions and a Facebook page to try and get them to reconsider- or get another network to pick it up. 

I wonder what season just finished airing on PBS?

7 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

How did that season end? 

Dr Blake and his wife decided to divorce - on very good terms - and that made it finally possible for Blake and Jean to be together.  They kissed.

3 hours ago, magdalene said:

Dr Blake and his wife decided to divorce - on very good terms - and that made it finally possible for Blake and Jean to be together.  They kissed.

Ah, that's Season 4, so you're up to date.  They've filmed Season 5 and normally it would have started airing by now, but I suppose they're going to hold it until the telemovie is ready to air as well.  (dammit!)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, maraleia said:

Mercy Street on PBS was canceled due to funding issues and actor schedules not working out. So pissed about this.

Oh, shoot.  I enjoyed this last season.

How will we know how the war ends?  LOL

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I'll give most new shows a shot because you never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.  So far, the new show that impressed me the most is Legion.  I was apprehensive about this because I usually never respond to superhero shows -- The Flash, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc. have all left me cold.  Knowing this was based off of the X-Men franchise made me nervous, but I've been really enjoying Legion so far.  

Two shows that I watched the whole run but I don't think I would recommend as must-see TV were Taboo and Westworld.  I started to nitpick and eyeroll a lot towards the end of their runs.

• Love 1

Amazon pilot season! There are only five this time, and no children's programming. Free for anyone to view.

Maybe I'm just in a generous mood, but I enjoyed all of them. Maisel hit my sweet spot the most.

Oasis (hour drama) - Set in the near future, Oasis tells the story of priest Peter Leigh, who is called to a remote planet where a mysterious multinational company is building the first permanent off-Earth human colony. The planet, Oasis, is humanity’s last chance to escape from Earth’s impending collapse, but it quickly becomes apparent that it may not be as hospitable to humanity as it seems. Richard Madden, Anil Kapoor, Antje Traue

Budding Prospects (half hour comedy) - In 1983, three hapless guys from San Francisco are lured from their sex and drugs lifestyle to the countryside to grow marijuana. They find themselves stuck in a run-down cabin in the middle of nowhere, with harsh and unfriendly growing conditions, nosy neighbors, dangerous locals, and menacing law enforcement. Adam Rose, Joel David Moore, Will Sasso.

The Legend of Master Legend (half hour comedy) - Master Legend is a real life superhero whose mission is the security and safety of the people of Las Vegas. Master Legend juggles the demands of justice with the even more complicated demands of his real family, who don't see him as a hero at all. John Hawkes, Dawnn Lewis, Anjelika Washington

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (hour comedy/drama) - It’s 1958 Manhattan and Miriam “Midge” Maisel has everything she’s ever wanted - the perfect husband, kids, and Upper West Side apartment. But when her life suddenly takes a turn and Midge must start over, she discovers a previously unknown talent - one that will take her all the way from the comedy clubs of Greenwich Village to a spot on Johnny Carson’s couch. From the creator of Gilmore Girls. Rachel Brosnahan, Michael Zegen, Tony Shalhoub, Alex Borstein

The New V.I.P.'s (animated; half hour comedy) - Four low level employees seize control of a major corporation after accidentally murdering the CEO. Matt Braunger, Ben Schwartz, Missi Pyle

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3