Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Memphis

• Start Topic

Loved this episode. I knew this was the end of William, our wise owl (I was worried that it was going to be the end of Jack too but thankfully the writers aren't that cruel) but it didn't make it any easier. But what a beautiful way to tell the beginning and end of his story. Love, love, loved him greeting his mama at the very end. Just beautiful. And William "meeting" Jack was lovely too. I'm going to miss William so much. He's one of my favorite TV characters in recent memory.

I do appreciate that the writers didn't go 150% sad and heavy. The levity with the treasure behind the brick (the confused looks on the current homeowners faces were great...strange men ask to see your house, one takes apart your fireplace, and then they leave....) and drunk Randall ("sorry, I was raised by white people") were golden. 

• Love 4

Too devastated to write much but god, I'm regretting watching this series because I'm now a mess! So so sad and so beautifully written and portrayed. I actually caught myself trying to be distracted by surfing on my phone which I never do during this show - I always give it my full attention - but I was finding it hard to deal with all the emotion. I was watching my little 4 month old baby girl on the video monitor and William's mum singing to him in the crib and it was too too much! So many feels, I can't remember the last time a TV show made me cry this much ?. Well played This Is Us.

Edited by Save Yourself
Added detail
  • Love 4

I cried last week with Kevin running to Randall's side. And this week was what I was dreading, having lost my dad to cancer, and I didn't cry. I think it was because it hit home for me and sort of symbiotic.... if that's the right word. First, William's mom and then William dying.... very familiar. William not wanting his grand daughters to come so that they will remember looking up at him... that did hit me in the heart strings. Both actors killed it... love them. But not wanting to rate the show, the writing, as an A+...the loose strings and ADD-like going off in many directions and  the tad unrealistic outcomes....I give show a B (maybe B-). Acting is a solid A to an A+.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

It was Pittsburgh. When William asked to go there Randall said that it was a day and a half out of their way, but William prevailed. They didn't get to Memphis until after that.

Thank you!  I actually didn't catch that part.

Oof, still reeling 12+ hours later.  I'm coming up on March, the month when I lost both my parents (though 11 years apart).  I'm also getting married in the fall at the ripe old age of 47, so it's been an emotional time.  I believe in the power of a good cry, though--clears the nasal passages, releases stress, makes you feel better.  So thanks, Show...though I could do without this morning's puffy eyes ;)

• Love 14

That was just beautiful.  I thought everything was so well done- the acting, the script, the scenery...

I must confess that I did not cry.  Not that I wasn't touched, or that I am made of stone- (I teared up at a freaking Canadian Tire ad I saw on Facebook the other day), but it just did not affect me that way.  Maybe because, living in the southwest, I checked in here and read some of the comments before I watched, so I knew what was coming.  But I did think that tonight was going to be the night where we would say goodbye to William even before I read any comments.  Just the vibe I got from last week's preview.

I also wish that William's dad had been with his mom at the very end.  I can't decide if he went off to fight in WWII or Korea.  Not sure how old William was supposed to be, but I get the impression he was younger than Jack when Randall was born.

I also wonder if we will learn more about Randall's mother.  There is so much more to that story.  And, I wonder if she really did die, or if she will turn up at some point? As I recall William was kind of vague about her death.

I assume we have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode?  The "It's Not Technically the State of the Union Because I Have Only Been in Office for a Month" Address is next week.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Mldh598 said:

Okay, this one really got me. Went from giggling at drunk Randall ("You get a cousin and you get a cousin...sorry, I was raised by white people") to an ugly cry 45 seconds later. I don't know how the writers do it - such a range of emotions in one episode. #emotionallyexhausted

But isn't that an Oprah phrase?  LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I have seen on here in various posts him called a 'saint' but I don't think that is the case.  Up until this episode I would have said he was simply a decent man who tried to do well.  Which, let's face, is the majority of people in the world.  We just hear about the monsters more.  But then he said "I haven't had a happy life." And this made me more sad than his death.  I think the show did a good job of showing  complex, but frustratingly unfulfilled life. 

Exactly. I don't know why some people think the William is a portrayed "saint." Even before learning about his relationship with his mother and cousin, William always struck me as a sad man whose drug addiction destroyed his life causing him to abandon his son. We meet William after he has kicked his addiction and is terminally ill so of course he isn't a destructive drug addict, but neither is he storybook "evil" because like you accurately pointed, most people are not. William just wanted to connect with his son and family before he died.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, Mya Stone said:

I just emerged from my solitary crying jag in my bedroom to have this exchange: 

Mr. Stone: Mya, what's wrong? 

Me: (unintelligible)...and ducks...(hiccup)

Mr. Stone: The old man died, didn't he? 

Me: (runs back into our bedroom to cry more)

I was sobbing through this episode, and went to bed crying. Mr. Hula-la asked what was wrong, and I explained that it was from a show. I woke up this morning, still upset, and he came out of bed at 5 in the morning to make sure that I was ok. I'm at work now, and still tearing up.

• Love 4

That was just beautiful.  I thought everything was so well done- the acting, the script, the scenery...

I must confess that I did not cry.  Not that I wasn't touched, or that I am made of stone- (I teared up at a freaking Canadian Tire ad I saw on Facebook the other day), but it just did not affect me that way.  Maybe because, living in the southwest, I checked in here and read some of the comments before I watched, so I knew what was coming.  But I did think that tonight was going to be the night where we would say goodbye to William even before I read any comments.  Just the vibe I got from last week's preview.

I also wish that William's dad had been with his mom at the very end.  I can't decide if he went off to fight in WWII or Korea.  Not sure how old William was supposed to be, but I get the impression he was younger than Jack when Randall was born.

I also wonder if we will learn more about Randall's mother.  There is so much more to that story.  And, I wonder if she really did die, or if she will turn up at some point? As I recall William was kind of vague about her death.

I assume we have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode?  The "It's Not the State of the Union Because I Have Only Been in Office for a Month" Address is next week.

Totally agree in wishing William's dad had been there in that last scene ... am actually surprised they did not go that route. I would have cried even more than I already did.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I think it could have been either.  If he was closer to Jack's age, could be WWII, or closer to Rebecca's, then Korean.  I thought maybe the father wasn't in the afterlife scene because William didn't know him. 

8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But isn't that an Oprah phrase?  LOL

I took it as Oprah's studio (and television) audience was largely white women. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think it could have been either.  If he was closer to Jack's age, could be WWII, or closer to Rebecca's, then Korean.  I thought maybe the father wasn't in the afterlife scene because William didn't know him. 

I honestly thought it was because he was getting drunk and loud.  LOL.  Now I'm not totally sure

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I honestly thought it was because he was getting drunk and loud.  LOL.  Now I'm not totally sure

I think it's cuz it's so not cool to reference Oprah from a million years ago, or ever. And white folks raised Randall, and white folks aren't cool. I laughed.

• Love 6

" I thought maybe the father wasn't in the afterlife scene because William didn't know him. "

That absolutely makes sense ... but because of the whole opening with his singing "You Are My Sunshine" to the baby, even if he were not involved in the "group hug," I would have loved to have seen him standing there smiling, and knowing that he was there with William's mom, that he had been there to "greet" her just as she was there to "greet" William. I'm a big sap. 

• Love 4

I don't know why some people think the William is a portrayal "saint."

I think it's not that he is being portrayed as perfect and flawless, but rather, by the time we the viewers meet him and have now gotten to know him, he is, er, was almost Yoda-like in his demeanor and wisdom. And yes, that comes in part from having made it to sobriety, and the clarity that that process probably provided him. He always had just the right nugget of wisdom to dispense...one example that comes to mind is that scene with the British actress, the two of them outside on the steps as she waited for her Uber to get her away from the Pearson Thanksgiving. William set her straight in a firm, direct, almost fatherly way. And she was a total stranger, not even someone with whom he had an emotional connection.

With his death imminent, William could have been portrayed as nasty and bitter. He certainly wasn't. His two grandchildren accepted and loved him without hesitation, even though he basically appeared from nowhere (and he gave them no reason not to). Although Beth was a bit apprehensive about him, she, too, ended up having a close bond to him. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character of William very much. As mentioned, he likely deserved the adoration of his new-found family. But he almost never put a foot wrong in the short time we saw him. Soft-spoken, intelligent, humble, without ego, a musician and poet, loved animals and children - there was just no fault to him at this point in his life. Saintly? No - but even in the worst depths of his drug addiction, the act of bringing newborn Randall to a safe place, when that scenario could have gone horribly wrong, added (in hindsight) to his somewhat golden aura.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I took it as he was being corny as hell because he is never in a group of black people. He was aware he was being a nerd, so he said it like, "I'm not used to being the cool black guy." Hi white people, just your friendly neighborhood black man. 

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I think it's not that he is being portrayed as perfect and flawless, but rather, by the time we the viewers meet him and have now gotten to know him, he is, er, was almost Yoda-like in his demeanor and wisdom. And yes, that comes in part from having made it to sobriety, and the clarity that that process probably provided him. He always had just the right nugget of wisdom to dispense...one example that comes to mind is that scene with the British actress, the two of them outside on the steps as she waited for her Uber to get her away from the Pearson Thanksgiving. William set her straight in a firm, direct, almost fatherly way. And she was a total stranger, not even someone with whom he had an emotional connection.

With his death imminent, William could have been portrayed as nasty and bitter. He certainly wasn't. His two grandchildren accepted and loved him without hesitation, even though he basically appeared from nowhere (and he gave them no reason not to). Although Beth was a bit apprehensive about him, she, too, ended up having a close bond to him. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character of William very much. As mentioned, he likely deserved the adoration of his new-found family. But he almost never put a foot wrong in the short time we saw him. Soft-spoken, intelligent, humble, without ego, a musician and poet, loved animals and children - there was just no fault to him at this point in his life. Saintly? No - but even in the worst depths of his drug addiction, the act of bringing newborn Randall to a safe place, when that scenario could have gone horribly wrong, added (in hindsight) to his somewhat golden aura.

Love your post. What I liked about this episode was that it gave us more insight into young William. And though he wasn't saintly, before William got hooked on drugs, he was basically a quiet nerd and a goody two-shoes. And a talented musician and songwriter. 

So it makes more sense that elderly and sober William was once again quiet and introspective. And a kind and good person overall. I still think he was portrayed as being too perfect when he lived in the Pearson household, but I can forgive that. 

• Love 4

My hometown represented well! You really can't go to Memphis and not ease up on a pork restriction. We make amazing BBQ that you have to try at least once. And yes, William, The Peabody ducks are still waddling with fanfare!

I managed to hold it together until the end when William said his life was not a happy one due to bad luck and choices but he wouldn't call it sad. I know a lot of people like that. It just gutted me to see that young, shy, gifted young man and know that it was soon going to go completely off the rails for him in a short time between losing him mother, his drug addiction, losing Randall's mother and then ultimately needing to give up his son to make sure he had a better life than what he could provide.  As he said so many 'What ifs?'  What if he had called Cousin Ricky for help? Might he have somehow made it back to Memphis with young Randall and be to him what his mother had been to him?

And William's poor mother. Lost her husband and never remarried and focused on providing for her son. Her story reminded me of so many of my own relatives. Leaving Memphis for up North supposedly for a short period of time only to stay there because the money was better, time flies, and then suddenly they're dying and/or returning home as they're lives come to an end.

Even now as I type this I'm fighting tears remembering the whole exchange of a parent looking down into the eyes of their helpless child as their lives are getting started and seeing that light looking back up at them only to have it reverse with the sick/weak parent looking up into their child's eyes (still the same and yet so adult) and knowing they're seeing the light fade from your own eyes.  On one hand it's the last thing a parent would want their child to see and yet the last thing a parent would want to see is the face of their loved one. I never thought of that parallel before and now it's all I can think about.

'Your father is not leaving this hospital'. My goodness like a billion tons of bricks falling onto you must those words have to feel when you hear them directed at you.

For some reason I think the meeting of Jack and William (at any age) would've been epic.

Beth was holding it together pretty well all things considered. Her mom breaks her hip and she goes to tend to her and is immediately called back home because of Randall's breakdown -which she knew was a possibility and was keeping an eye out for and even warned William about. Part of her had to be thinking, "Damn if KEVIN who was the one who noticed Randall falling apart, it has to be bad".

SKB in the opening scene at his psychiatrist with Beth was too adorable for words.  The complete shift of body language from his previous episode was amazing. He was relaxed, playful, patiently allowing everyone their say and back to being Randall.

And I must give a shoutout for SKB's stints on Supernatural in S2 and S3.  He played a gloriously complicated hunter that tangled with Dean and Sam. Fair warning

Spoiler

he meets a gory end that I believe paved the way for him to go to Army Wives.

Edited by TobinAlbers
Correcting the seasons of Supernatural. Thanks Katy M!
  • Love 12

Lovely, lovely episode.  Of course the acting is the best I've seen anywhere for so so long, but I'd like to take a moment and give a little credit to the casting, writing and the music folks here.  That song.  THAT. SONG.  Perfection.  And how it tied to "I'd rather them remember me looking up, not looking down" was truly masterful.  If I had to list the high points for me, it would be the entire script.  So many beautiful moments stitched together to make the strongest hour of television I can remember.  And I'm old.  That's a lot of television.  Thanks, TIU, for giving us some quality TV for a change!!!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

The part that really got me was in the beginning, where William and Randall went to Jack's tree and William told Jack, "thank you for doing what I couldn't."  That was true humility.  I never thought William was a saint, he was a man who was sober for many years and in that time, learned a lot about himself.

"A man who was sober for many years, and in that time, learned a lot about himself."  What a sober, humbling, powerful perspective.

It was a great gift that William exchanged with Randall and Randall's family (including Rebecca and Kevin). He was an artist, and they heard him. He had been a son, only, and they received him as a father. They were receptive to the wisdom spun from a difficult life, by a soulful man -- what William had left to offer the world, as he prepared to leave it. This makes all of Randall's family William's heirs. 

• Love 15

Note to self: NEVER watch this show while on my lunch break. Trying to reapply mascara while still tearing up is not easy.

I started crying when we saw Williams father in his military uniform, because I knew what was coming, and pretty much never stopped. RIP William. You will be missed, but your exit couldn't have been more perfect.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Pallas said:

"A man who was sober for many years, and in that time, learned a lot about himself."  What a sober, humbling, powerful perspective.

It was a great gift that William exchanged with Randall and Randall's family (including Rebecca and Kevin). He was an artist, and they heard him. He had been a son, only, and they received him as a father. They were receptive to the wisdom spun from a difficult life, by a soulful man -- what William had left to offer the world, as he prepared to leave it. This makes all of Randall's family William's heirs. 

That's beautifully stated.  Randall did a good thing the day he decided to look for William.  He of course had no way of knowing how it would turn out, and it could have gone very, very differently. 

I can't say how much I loved the writing choice of interjecting William's mother.  I am a sucker for stories about that connection anyway, but this was unexpected and worked so well.  His mother is how he came to not only be the person he was, but because of her he went to Pittsburgh, and Randall was born.  Also as has been mentioned upthread, his deep love and respect for his mother was reflected in how he abided by Rebecca's wishes as a mother.  I just loved that whole interconnectedness. 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Even now as I type this I'm fighting tears remembering the whole exchange of a parent looking down into the eyes of their helpless child as their lives are getting started and seeing that light looking back up at them only to have it reverse with the sick/weak parent looking up into their child's eyes (still the same and yet so adult) and knowing they're seeing the light fade from your own eyes.  On one hand it's the last thing a parent would want their child to see and yet the last thing a parent would want to see is the face of their loved one. I never thought of that parallel before and now it's all I can think about.

Now you're making me cry again! This was the exchange that brought me to my tears last night.

• Love 4
  1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

The part that really got me was in the beginning, where William and Randall went to Jack's tree and William told Jack, "thank you for doing what I couldn't."  That was true humility.  I never thought William was a saint, he was a man who was sober for many years and in that time, learned a lot about himself.

"This makes all of Randall's family William's heirs."

That's lovely, and I wish I had said it.

• Love 7

I really want to watch this episode but don't know if I'm ready for the emotional upheaval. We've known for forever that this day would come, but I'm not ready. Haven't watched last week's epi yet, either. Maybe I shouldn't read re-caps etc. beforehand. Can't believe I'm being such a coward over a television show!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Sterling is making me tear up in his Facebook live video (which just ended.)  He's crying along with the rest of us! https://www.facebook.com/sterlingkb1/videos/1162183470565264/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

10 hours ago, Court said:

I'm officially in love with Sterling K. Brown. That's all I got.

Thanks for that link. Yes, SKB is the best. I love that he's a kind, sensitive man IRL. And he's easy on the eyes. I enjoyed the entire hospital scene with William and Randall. Well, not exactly enjoyed--it was a sad but powerful scene. But why was Randall blinking so much? Was Randall trying not to cry, or was SKB trying to get himself to cry? That distracted me a little because I hate it when actors blink excessively. I preferred the shots of Randall staring silently at William, with all manner of emotions written on his face. Those were the shots that brought me close to tearing up.

Speaking of minor distractions, it bothered me when Randall said that by making the bed in the motel, it would be one less thing for someone to have to do. But they were checking out that morning. Motels change the sheets (or are supposed to) between guests. If not, then Ewww. A throwaway line from Randall would have satisfied me: "I know the maids are going to change the sheets anyway, but I still like to make the bed."  And thanks whoever posted that SKB likes to make his bed IRL. He can come over to my house and make my bed anytime (in more ways than one. wink-wink). 

Great episode. But I did miss Kevin and Kate, though I know they didn't have an organic role in the ep. No, wait. Why wasn't Kevin around to tell William goodbye? 

8 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I have a question about Randall's job.  I have heard Beth use the terms "making partner" about his job. And tonight Randall himself used those terms. What kind of partner is he if he has a boss that can take away clients and bring in a new guy ? I know what being a partner at a law firm means, but Randall isn't a lawyer. So, what kind of partner is he ?

I wish they would have told us a little more about Randall's hospital stay after his breakdown. They really rushed over it.

There's senior partner vs. junior partner. And didn't Randall make partner recently? I vaguely remember that from a prior episode--that he's one of the younger partners in the firm, and he had to work really hard to make partner. But I'm pretty sure (slightly sure) that he isn't a lawyer. I've never heard anyone at his job talk about the bar exam or billable hours.  Just landing accounts. 

3 hours ago, msrbley said:

First, SKB.  He's everything.  Second, as the white, adoptive mother to a young black boy, this show hits close to home.  I'm not supposed to know anything about my son's birth father but I got nosey and I know who he is.  I've even seen him before.  Now I keep this secret.  Am I taking something as wonderful as what Randall and William had away from him or am I saving him from heartache and is it even my job to save him from heartache?  Gahhhhh!  Cousins!  Am I keeping my son from cousins!?  And then throw in "You are my sunshine" on top of that?  The first moment I was alone with my son after his birthmother handed him to me I sang that song to him.  C'mon This is Us!

Anyway, the acting in this episode in particular was phenomenal. I had to keep reminding myself that these were actors. 

Great questions. I know similar issues have been discussed in detail in the Social Issues topic, so if you bring your post over there, I know people will give you lots of good insight. 

But congratulations on your son. Just a few comments about your post: I think the impact of your "secret" depends on what kind of person the bio dad is: would he be a detrimental influence on your son, either emotionally or physically? And how old is your son? I think the majority of posters here felt that Rebecca was justified in not talking about William when Randall was a small child, but she probably should have told Randall about his bio dad when he was older (or an adult). 

• Love 4

Good lord I have TIU hangover.

Re: Jesse, I just assumed that William, knowing he was near the end, said his goodbyes to Jesse before he and Randall departed for Memphis, and I really appreciated that in the end it was just William and Randall together.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Biggie B said:

iTunes has both versions of the song (the one song by Randall's cousin and the one that played over the montage at the end).

Thank you! Done! Listening now...

There is a NBC owned "This is Us" playlist on Spotify that adds every song featured in the episode as soon as it airs. It covers Madonna to Cat Stevens to Sam Cooke. It's excellent. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, msrbley said:

First, SKB.  He's everything.  Second, as the white, adoptive mother to a young black boy, this show hits close to home.  I'm not supposed to know anything about my son's birth father but I got nosey and I know who he is.  I've even seen him before.  Now I keep this secret.  Am I taking something as wonderful as what Randall and William had away from him or am I saving him from heartache and is it even my job to save him from heartache?  Gahhhhh!  Cousins!  Am I keeping my son from cousins!?  And then throw in "You are my sunshine" on top of that?  The first moment I was alone with my son after his birthmother handed him to me I sang that song to him.  C'mon This is Us!

Anyway, the acting in this episode in particular was phenomenal. I had to keep reminding myself that these were actors. 

I am also a white adoptive mom to a black son. I have some similar thoughts and feelings. Will take this over to the social issues thread, I'd like to discuss further.

• Love 5

I have a question about Randall's job.  I have heard Beth use the terms "making partner" about his job. And tonight Randall himself used those terms. What kind of partner is he if he has a boss that can take away clients and bring in a new guy ? I know what being a partner at a law firm means, but Randall isn't a lawyer. So, what kind of partner is he ?

Many sorts of occupations entail being a partner in the organization for which they work, such as an architectural firm. "Partner" implies one who has an equity interest in the company - someone who shares ownership of the company, as well as profits and losses. So it's not just law firms who have that sort of structure. As for Randall, wasn't there an episode called Career Day, or something similar, in which Randall's job was explained (sort of)? I can't recall the fine details but I'm sure others here will recall and explain what he does.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 2

This show finds new ways to break my heart and this was no exception. I knew that William's death was coming, but seeing it hit me like a ton of bricks and hurt even more.

This episode was beautiful, from start to finish.  Like life itself, it made me laugh (Drunk Randall, William's treasures), it made me dance/sing (the club scenes), it made me smile (the ducks) and it damn sure made me cry (William talking to Jack, William's scenes with his mama, the death bed scenes, the death itself).

Ron Cephas Jones is incredible, to say the least. Just when it seems like Sterling K. Brown couldn't possibly get better, he does. If he and RCJ don't get Emmy nominations, there's no justice in TV land, as far as I'm concerned.

RIP, William.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, MelGoLightly said:

The way I'm seeing it is that they're peeling away layers of the story slowly. In particular, the sequence that depicts how William and girlfriend slid into addiction we saw in Episode 1 was repeated in this episode, but this time we saw that it happened in parallel with his mother's health declining. I think this show has a plan and it's to unfold this family's history very methodically and with a specific purpose. I think we'll learn more about the mother in a later episode in a way that will reveal more about Randall and his mother's relationship. 

I'm not sure how they would be able to incorporate the mother.  Unless a sister or cousin of hers shows up. Since she is dead and William is dead, there doesn't seem to be a link left (that we've met) to tell her story. Not sure her family would even be aware of Randall, but maybe. 

At least Randall met some of his cousins. 

• Love 1
Just now, Biggie B said:

I went back to the "Career Days" forum - I believe Randall is a commodities trader?

Randall talked about how he predicts how weather patterns will affect the price of commodities. It sounded interesting, but boring at the same time, haha :)

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Many sorts of occupations entail being a partner in the organization for which they work, such as an architectural firm. "Partner" implies one who has an equity interest in the company - someone who shares ownership of the company, as well as profits and losses. So it's not just law firms who have that sort of structure. As for Randall, wasn't there an episode called Career Day, or something similar, in which Randall's job was explained (sort of)? I can't recall the fine details but I'm sure others here will recall and explain what he does.

I think he's a commodities trader as he was concerned about weather patterns and futures. Partnerships are fairly common in the field (not easy, mind you, but a common set-up). 

7 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I'm not sure how they would be able to incorporate the mother.  Unless a sister or cousin of hers shows up. Since she is dead and William is dead, there doesn't seem to be a link left (that we've met) to tell her story. Not sure her family would even be aware of Randall, but maybe. 

At least Randall met some of his cousins. 

I just think the writers will employ more flashbacks of William post-death to continue telling the story. We know all about Jack even though he's never been alive in present day. I don't see why we can't continue to learn more about William & Randall's mother in the same method, set against present day interactions with Rebecca as a 60something woman. 

• Love 4

I thought the hospital scene with the doctor where Randall realized it was the end was very well-done. 

That scene really got to me.  I've lived that scene when my own father passed away a few years ago.  Cue the tears.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

I just think the writers will employ more flashbacks of William post-death to continue telling the story. We know all about Jack even though he's never been alive in present day. I don't see why we can't continue to learn more about William & Randall's mother in the same method, set against present day interactions with Rebecca as a 60something woman. 

We could, I guess, but even though Jack is gone, people who know his story are still around?  Does that make sense?  I was just thinking that there aren't any links to her left, apart from Randall, who has been shown to know very little about her.  Maybe William was able to tell him more and we haven't seen that yet. 

Now that I think about it, Randall could go looking for his mother's side of the family too.  Maybe that will be next year.  The actress who played her in William's flashback certainly was gorgeous.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

There is a NBC owned "This is Us" playlist on Spotify that adds every song featured in the episode as soon as it airs. It covers Madonna to Cat Stevens to Sam Cooke. It's excellent. 

Awesome! I was just wondering if they had a Spotify playlist or a soundtrack somewhere. The music on this show is so on point, and this episode was the best of all.

Man, I will really miss William, but I think letting him die now was the right move. There's only so long you can keep a character around who you introduced while he was dying before things start to get cheap and overly dramatic. I figured he was going to die as soon as I realized we were getting his flashbacks, but his death at the end still hurt like a bitch. I loved getting so much of his life, and seeing how his life took a downward turn, going from a slightly dorky aspiring musician and mommas boy to a heartbroken drug addict. I loved the whole sequence of William meeting Randall's mom on the bus, intercut with them taking care of his mom. I just really love the interconnectedness of the whole story, with the main family and all the people connected to them, with the stories of Williams family, and previous episodes with Dr. K and the Fireman and his marriage. Its one of my favorite things about the show, the slice of life stories of these normal people just living their lives, and having their struggles and triumphs, and the beauty of the every day. It just gets me.

Randall is such a lovable dork, glad he's doing better. "You get a cousin, you get a cousin!" I hope he can stay in touch with some of his Memphis family, at least through social media or something. He is always going to be a Pearson (I LOVED how William and Randall both referred to Jack as Randall's father, and the whole scene at the tree) so it would be nice to get connected with his bio family.

Hey, its Paper Boi from Atlanta as Williams cousin Rickey! First he shows up as a lawyer over on How to get away with murder, and now here! Also playing the more trouble making musician cousin of a main character (although Ricky seems like WAY less trouble then Paper Boi), but he played it totally differently. He has a great voice and stage presence. If Paper Boi ever wants to leave the rap game, he could easily transition into R&B/Blues.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode but have a few questions/comments.

What was the point of William being gay?  It wasn't explored,  they didn't show him say goodbye to his partner.  Was it just added for political reasons?

I thought it was a bit hokey that his cousin was sitting in the same spot in the bar 40 years later?  Also did William ever call him to say he wasn't coming back or did they just not speak for 40 years?

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 4