Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: "Kody Takes Responsibility"

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Watching Kody try to seem intelligent, and share his wisdom of married life makes my head hurt.  When he does this, I always expect to see smoke coming out of his ears from trying to think.  

• Janelle and Meri don't need to be friends, not even good neighbors - why are they so desperate to have them come to some common ground?  Why?  They have managed to find a way to be in this "family" without killing each other, so let it go.   Janelle will never find it within herself to honestly confront Meri about what happened in the past.  And if she did, Meri would just steam roll her, and Janelle would again back down.   Watching them with Nancy is sooooo uncomfortable.  Meri always looks like she's enjoying how uncomfortable this is for Janelle.    It's like watching a dog being punished.
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

On 12/5/2016 at 10:52 AM, greekmom said:

Also, Kody - just shut up about the chaste courtships.  Please do not tell me you were not taking Sobyn to pound town when you were "dating" her. 

LMBO!! "Pound Town!"

???

I don't know if Kodouche took Sobyn to Pound Town (and I DON'T want to know, either?), but we all know that he and Sobyn swapped premarital hormones while Christine was in labour!

Didn't Kodouche lecture something about that to Mykelti? So much for practicing what he preaches ! 

• Love 3

Janelle needs to take a chill pill regarding the morally offensive presence of lingerie at Maddie's shower.  The more she protests, the lamer she sounds.  And Janelle wanting to print "NO NO NO TO THE LINGERIE PLZ" in big block letters on the shower invites?  Stupid.  Just let it go.  Go wander off to the cake table if Maddie opens some lingerie.  If Janelle needs to be acclimated to lingerie, she should just wander over to Robyn's when she's not home and look through her dresser drawers.  Sheesh.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

Janelle and Meri don't need to be friends, not even good neighbors - why are they so desperate to have them come to some common ground?  Why?  They have managed to find a way to be in this "family" without killing each other, so let it go.   Janelle will never find it within herself to honestly confront Meri about what happened in the past.  And if she did, Meri would just steam roll her, and Janelle would again back down.   Watching them with Nancy is sooooo uncomfortable.  Meri always looks like she's enjoying how uncomfortable this is for Janelle.    It's like watching a dog being punished.

This. I can't figure out what their goal is with the therapy since it's clear they are never going to be close and don't seem to want that, either. And that's okay! Acknowledge it and you can move on. I have siblings I am not close with for the same reasons, our personalities and values are incompatible. It's freeing to no longer feel you have to force a relationship that doesn't feel natural.

Not that think they'll ever come to this conclusion. Their whole selling point is that plural marriage is inherently superior to monogamist marriage, despite 11 seasons worth of episodes that depict their situation as an utter shit show.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

It's funny how often that happens, right? 

Just as funny as the couples who have nine pound preemies 6 months after the wedding.  There's a saying that the first baby can come any time after the wedding, but the next ones take at least nine months, or at least that's what my Nonna says. Nonnas don't lie. 

• Love 17

I'm starting to think Nancy is part of the show. Maybe she works for the show. I don't understand why they love her so much or why the show wants her on film at every opportunity. Then when I heard her plug audio books by Brene Brown, I started to suspect that she's a plant. Not saying she isn't a real counselor although I'd love to know her credentials but maybe she isn't the one they would have picked if it weren't for the producers' persuasion. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

These people spend way too much time obsessing over stupid things.  I guess it takes the sting off of how badly they deal with the important things.

Stupid things are all they have.   Besides the show, they have nothing.   No jobs, seemingly no outside interests, no solid friendships.  When your world revolves  around one man, other wives, kids, and all are desperate for any kind of attention it leaves alot of time to stress over the stupid stuff.   Kody always talks about religion, but there doesn't seem to be any type of solid base - only a vague sense of what they are supposed to believe.   I think Christine especially does this - she searches for any small thing to get Kody's attention. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Tony and Mykelti. Yeesh. "I wrotecha a pome. Oh kah?"

I nominate Tabbygirl521 as the new subtitle writer for Sister Wives.

And proof that this show is all over the place...I'd like to refer you to CCS's hair.  During lunch with Kody, it was a shaggy mess with one chunk weirdly tucked behind his ear.  On the couch with Mykelti, it looked like he'd finally figured out how to use a comb.  In yet another part of the show, it was shorter and curly.  I go from thinking this guy is an unkempt slob to kind of understanding what Mykelti sees in him.  KIND OF.

• Love 5

Not saying she isn't a real counselor although I'd love to know her credentials but maybe she isn't the one they would have picked if it weren't for the producers' persuasion. 

She is a real counselor, apparently pretty good at it.  I do wonder, however, about a marriage and family therapist who would agree to her sessions being filmed.

• Love 1

We're struggling with a major medical situation with my brother right now, and there's not a lot to laugh about.  This thread has had me chuckling out loud several times over the past couple of days.  And the "Airplane" reference put me over the top.  THANK YOU ALL!!!!

• Love 22
17 minutes ago, camom said:

She is a real counselor, apparently pretty good at it.  I do wonder, however, about a marriage and family therapist who would agree to her sessions being filmed.

That link has 5 reviews so I don't know if she's good at it. She doesn't seem to know any more than I do from what I've seen on the show, but like you said, they won't film a real session. I guess my question is, why is SHE featured? What does the show gain? It's very obviously a fake storyline with Meri and Janelle. Those two ladies don't give a shit about repairing their relationship. And why would they? Meri is checked out, they don't have to live together, the kids are mostly grown so no babies that Meri has to help Janelle with. So what's the point? It's obviously producer driven so they can feature Nancy for some reason and I wonder what's in it for her, and what's in it for tlc?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

I'm starting to think Nancy is part of the show. Maybe she works for the show. I don't understand why they love her so much or why the show wants her on film at every opportunity. Then when I heard her plug audio books by Brene Brown, I started to suspect that she's a plant. Not saying she isn't a real counselor although I'd love to know her credentials but maybe she isn't the one they would have picked if it weren't for the producers' persuasion. 

During the "counseling session," I was fixated on the title of a book on the shelves in the background: "The Missing Piece and the Big O" or something like that. I assumed it was a self-help volume, but it turned me out to be a Shel Silverstein. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We're struggling with a major medical situation with my brother right now, and there's not a lot to laugh about.  This thread has had me chuckling out loud several times over the past couple of days.  And the "Airplane" reference put me over the top.  THANK YOU ALL!!!!

I am sorry about your brother. 

• Love 14
19 hours ago, LadyChatterly said:

I'm popping my posting cherry to say PLEASE SEND HELP. Less than an hour into this shitshow and I'm finding Kody personable ... and dare I say it? ... almost likeable. Dear god, someone please tell me it's the vodka influencing my judgment!!!

Oh. My. God. "popping my cherry" and "Kody" in the same sentence. I need BL:EACH. SO. MUCH. BLEACH. 

Careful. If he reads these forums, he may be on the prowl for Wifey #5 and show up in your home town. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

Janelle and Meri don't need to be friends, not even good neighbors - why are they so desperate to have them come to some common ground?  Why?  They have managed to find a way to be in this "family" without killing each other, so let it go.   Janelle will never find it within herself to honestly confront Meri about what happened in the past.  And if she did, Meri would just steam roll her, and Janelle would again back down.   Watching them with Nancy is sooooo uncomfortable.  Meri always looks like she's enjoying how uncomfortable this is for Janelle.    It's like watching a dog being punished.

I believe Janelle got some good edits over the years.  I used to think she was the lesser of five evils, this season has made me rethink that opinion.  The way she was all up in arms about Mykelti infringing on precious Maddie's wedding and the others saying that she would get angry made me think she hides her uglier side pretty well.  Whether I believe the Mykelti/Tony wedding is ill advised or not, it was very nasty of all of them to keep beating the Maddie's wedding drum.  I felt awful for Mykelti.  Also hearing that Janelle and Meri can't even say hello when taking out the garbage was eye opening.  So much for "multiplying love and polygamy makes them better people."  What a crock!!

And don't get me started on Meri.  In my opinion she is the worst of the lot! She doesn't validate Mariah's feelings and tells her to get over it when Meri dragged her into a horrible situation.  She should be apologizing all over the place, giving Mariah the space and time she needs, and doing all she can to build the trust back.  But all she does is tell lies and demand that everyone "get over it."  And I agree, she liked being the top dog, first and legal wife.  She lorded it over everyone. Now thanks to her own bad decisions, she's in the dog house, so she tries to play the poor victim.  

Someone posted that Mariah was enjoying holding her mother at bay and toying with her on when she would forgive her.  I say Mariah is acting out the behavior her mother modeled for her and good for her.  I can't think of anyone more deserving than Meri.

• Love 12
On 12/5/2016 at 1:17 PM, Nowhere said:

I really liked Kody this episode and then he pissed me off when he said Mariah wasn't the only one hurt. He was hurt, ROBYN was hurt, and Meri most of all. What the hell does Robyn have to do with this?? If somebody could clear that up for me that would be great.

Any bridal shower I've ever been to has had tasteful lingerie or cute pjs given as gifts, as well as other things bride related like scented candles or bubble bath, stuff like that. Even my super churchy friends knew what a bridal shower was for. I don't mean dildos. I mean keeping it classy. I thought appliances and kitchen things were bought as wedding gifts for the bride and groom. I was under the impression that raunchy gag gifts were given at a bachelorette party but obviously not required. And for sure the mothers aren't ever expected to go to bachelorette parties but mother of the bride is included at the bridal shower, unless the mother is immature and giggly when she sees a nighty like Christine and Janelle are. I guess I always thought there was a clear reason for the different events. If I'm expected to bring an appliance or household item to a bridal shower then I won't be buying a wedding gift. Appliances aren't "bridal". And if there's a registry at Bed, Bath and Beyond for a bridal shower, I'd suspect the bride and groom are a little greedy. 

THIS made me laugh very loudly in my office right now.  Yes I am supposed to be working but I had to catch up here (um priorities!).  This was not something I expected but added a bit of levity to a boring day.  

I thought maybe I was on drugs for this episode because Kody was making sense with Mariah.  How can that be?  Was I on drugs?  And then I saw Tony and the hike and wanted to punch Tony in the throat so I realized I was sober.  CLEARLY they are not fitness buffs and that hike, of an area that Mykelti didn't know, was kinda dangerous.  And that asshole didn't have the kindness/grace to offer her a hand.  She has already taken a header on one of these magical hikes so maybe a little caution is in order.  He gives me the heebie jeebies so MY first thought at the sight of the injury to her noggin was that he pushed her.  I know, there isn't any proof.  He just gives me said heebie jeebies.  I want someone for her that will compliment her personality not make it disappear.  FT (I like the nickname not because he isn't slim, he is far from fat, its got a ring to it) just doesn't seem like a good egg and the families endorsement of him doesn't help matters.  THEY married Kody for gods sake!

I want these girls to have fun before they get married and pump out babies.  Look to your parents as a cautionary tale.  No education married to an overbearing ego maniac.  ONE of the spouses should have their shit together.   Mykelti is marrying her dad.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, LadyChatterly said:

I'm popping my posting cherry to say PLEASE SEND HELP. Less than an hour into this shitshow and I'm finding Kody personable ... and dare I say it? ... almost likeable. Dear god, someone please tell me it's the vodka influencing my judgment!!!

For me I thought I was on drugs.  Nope.  Sober as a judge.  Perhaps pigs flew? 

On 12/6/2016 at 2:35 PM, AZChristian said:

Praying  for your brother  and the family  . 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Normades said:

I believe Janelle got some good edits over the years.  I used to think she was the lesser of five evils, this season has made me rethink that opinion.  The way she was all up in arms about Mykelti infringing on precious Maddie's wedding and the others saying that she would get angry made me think she hides her uglier side pretty well.  Whether I believe the Mykelti/Tony wedding is ill advised or not, it was very nasty of all of them to keep beating the Maddie's wedding drum.  I felt awful for Mykelti.  Also hearing that Janelle and Meri can't even say hello when taking out the garbage was eye opening.  So much for "multiplying love and polygamy makes them better people."  What a crock!!

And don't get me started on Meri.  In my opinion she is the worst of the lot! She doesn't validate Mariah's feelings and tells her to get over it when Meri dragged her into a horrible situation.  She should be apologizing all over the place, giving Mariah the space and time she needs, and doing all she can to build the trust back.  But all she does is tell lies and demand that everyone "get over it."  And I agree, she liked being the top dog, first and legal wife.  She lorded it over everyone. Now thanks to her own bad decisions, she's in the dog house, so she tries to play the poor victim.  

Someone posted that Mariah was enjoying holding her mother at bay and toying with her on when she would forgive her.  I say Mariah is acting out the behavior her mother modeled for her and good for her.  I can't think of anyone more deserving than Meri.

YES!!!   Janelle really didn't want anybody else involved - the cake tasting must have been painful for her.  I bet when she heard about Mykelti her first thought was that Kody would think it a great idea to have a double wedding.    As far as not saying hi to Meri - Janelle checked out of the rest of this group awhile ago.   If she sees Kody fine, if she doesn't she also seems fine with that.  

• Love 6

I thought it was ironic that Meri and Janelle saw each other at the trash cans.  Janelle was cited a year or so ago for not paying for trash pickup.  Apparently, she thought she could save money by not having trash pickup service at her house, just dumping her trash in the other cans in the cult-de-sac.  Unfortunately, Clark County or the City of Las Vegas REQUIRES pickup at every address, and you can't opt not to pay for it.

It would have been odd if Janelle was throwing her trash in Meri's cans and they didn't talk.

• Love 5
  1. Well, for some reason not only can I not "like" posts, I can't get rid of this stupid bullet point list that selected itself and won't let me deselect it. So, I guess I will use them.

2. I really think that Tony was born deaf, or with a serious hearing impairment. I only point that out because comments about his speech seem a bit below the belt. The entire Brown clan speak poorly, and it's possible that they are rubbing off on him, but he's not a mush mouth. YMMV I think he IS a fame-whore and his interest in Mykelti is, at least in part, because her family has a television show and he may get to take more wives in the future. If he was born hearing impaired, he's actually speaking quite well. It takes a lot of work to speak that clearly.

3. When Kody proposed to Robyn, he gave her the ring and then kissed her. Later, she was telling the story and said to Janelle (something like), "I thought, 'Well, it's done.'" Janelle gave a forced smile that I found telling. I think that may be all that is required for the marriage to be valid in the private ceremony (along with the secret name), and Kody and Robyn used that as an excuse to consummate their marriage. I don't believe for a moment that they were not having sex before the ceremony that was filmed. No way did Kody stay chaste with her for their long courtship. 

4. I also have no doubt that Kody thought the first time he had sex with each wife was a gift, because he thinks he is a gift to the world. They were "blessed" {vomit} to have him in their lives and their beds. He is a textbook narcissist who cannot see others as equals.
  • Love 12

Mykelti:  You don't HAVE to marry the first guy that asks you! 

It is pretty telling when Christine says that Mykelti does not act like herself when she is with Tony.  Sure hope he doesn't suppress her personality and any ambition she once had.  It is sad she is so "happy" working at the pawn shop.  I'm sure it is the independence she is feeling more than the job. Disclaimer: there is nothing wrong with working in a pawn shop, but it isn't exactly the type of job she was talking about when she had dreams of going to college and being a dress designer.

• Love 4

In my amateur psychological profiling, I think Mykelti is subconsciously attracted to Tony because he is like her father, except he pays attention to her.  She's always craved Kody's attention, and now, in a way, she has it.  Hope that makes sense to others.  I say this because this is exactly what happened with me in my first marriage - which was a complete disaster.   

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

THIS made me laugh very loudly in my office right now.  Yes I am supposed to be working but I had to catch up here (um priorities!).  This was not something I expected but added a bit of levity to a boring day.  

I thought maybe I was on drugs for this episode because Kody was making sense with Mariah.  How can that be?  Was I on drugs?  And then I saw Tony and the hike and wanted to punch Tony in the throat so I realized I was sober.  CLEARLY they are not fitness buffs and that hike, of an area that Mykelti didn't know, was kinda dangerous.  And that asshole didn't have the kindness/grace to offer her a hand.  She has already taken a header on one of these magical hikes so maybe a little caution is in order.  He gives me the heebie jeebies so MY first thought at the sight of the injury to her noggin was that he pushed her.  I know, there isn't any proof.  He just gives me said heebie jeebies.  I want someone for her that will compliment her personality not make it disappear.  FT (I like the nickname not because he isn't slim, he is far from fat, its got a ring to it) just doesn't seem like a good egg and the families endorsement of him doesn't help matters.  THEY married Kody for gods sake!

I want these girls to have fun before they get married and pump out babies.  Look to your parents as a cautionary tale.  No education married to an overbearing ego maniac.  ONE of the spouses should have their shit together.   Mykelti is marrying her dad.  

No. Fat Tony is very close to fat. So close that he is commonly perceived my others as fat. So he's fat. And that's OKAY. 

• Love 7

Haven't watched this (sh!t) show for awhile....Good God, Mykelti, is Tony the best you can do for yourself?  To each his own, but this goof reminds me of an oaf, similar to, but not as loveable as Shrek....need to use CC because I can barely understand him.....yikes....

• Love 1
On 12/4/2016 at 6:32 PM, AZChristian said:

I remember that episode so well.  I think she was planning to surprise him with the good news that she was, in fact, willing to go through all the fertility treatments to give him another child.  He was so smitten with Robyn and her potential "easy-to-operate" uterus that he said to Meri, "Why don't we go with an answer of 'no' at this point."  She looked like an old balloon as she deflated and her affect became totally flat.  She didn't want him to know that he had broken her heart.

It's one of the few times I've ever felt sorry for any of them.

If ever there was a moment that solidified my disdain for Kodouche, it was this one.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Marigny said:

If ever there was a moment that solidified my disdain for Kodouche, it was this one.

Kody was absolutely heartless, but Meri also dragged on the 'do I, don't i' want to have a baby for far way too long, and she dragged it out for the drama, not because she needed time to make the decision. 

• Love 11

I believe Janelle got some good edits over the years.  I used to think she was the lesser of five evils, this season has made me rethink that opinion.

I used to think Janelle was better than the other wives, but now I see she was just more stealth. I think because she was quieter that she gave us less stupid things to quote. But she is as bad as the others at defending Kody's stupid ways. Also though I do think Meri did bully Christine and Janelle, when I found out that Janelle was married to Meri's brother and then went after Kody that made me a little bit sympathetic to Meri.

Meri was a plain Jane and was so enthralled with Kody's attention that she would have promised him anything to marry him, but kind of pushed the polygamy thing to the back of her mind. Then when Janelle came into the picture Merri probably convinced herself that she was Kody's true love and Janelle didn't mean anything to him, but then Janelle started popping out babies and she had to face that they were having sex and had a relationship too and that must have killed her.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I used to think Janelle was better than the other wives, but now I see she was just more stealth. I think because she was quieter that she gave us less stupid things to quote. But she is as bad as the others at defending Kody's stupid ways. Also though I do think Meri did bully Christine and Janelle, when I found out that Janelle was married to Meri's brother and then went after Kody that made me a little bit sympathetic to Meri.

Meri was a plain Jane and was so enthralled with Kody's attention that she would have promised him anything to marry him, but kind of pushed the polygamy thing to the back of her mind. Then when Janelle came into the picture Merri probably convinced herself that she was Kody's true love and Janelle didn't mean anything to him, but then Janelle started popping out babies and she had to face that they were having sex and had a relationship too and that must have killed her.

I think Meri and Janelle were friends before Kody. I could be wrong. I wonder if their issues began when Janelle divorced Meri's brother (who Janelle converted to mainstream LDS) or when Janelle went after Kody. Or both situations.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I agree with you on this especially since according to the book, Kody was Meri's only BF and also I don't think they knew each other well enough.

34 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

What was the reason for Janelle's divorce from Meri's brother? 

I suppose Janelle & kids don't attend Meri's family reunions; bit awkward.

There was an episode a few years back where the older kids went to Lehi and visited Meri's family including Janelle's ex. 

• Love 1

Janelle marrying Meri is stealth. She marries and divorces Meri's brother and then makes herself Kody's second "wife". And plops out babies, one by one. If I were Meri, I would call her unpleasant names but thankfully I am not her.

And Mariah... yes Meri sure messed up but the disrespect coming from Mariah makes her no better than her mother IMO.  She is mad at her mother, yet she is acting just like her. 

I am not able to like some posters posts. A glitch, I guess.

• Love 4

Speaking as an only child, Mariah sure contributes to our continued bad name. All the stereotypes: Princess, self-absorbed, spoiled, demanding--fit her to a T. I wouldn't have gotten away with half of her malarky with my parents when I was her age. Which is 19. A legal adult. Listening to her whine "I'm just a kid!" to her dad was a little off-putting. Honey, 18 year olds go to war and serve our country admirably. You're not a child--the curse of some millenials is the cotton batting their parents wrap them in until they're in their late 20s or early 30s when they're still 'the kids.' I noticed she was wearing an Apple watch--not judging, just observing. She wants time and space away from her mom, but seems plenty willing to accept the little niceties like tuition, apartments, nice cars and watches from her.

I know Cody is delusional, but really felt like he was trying to help and be present in both his talk with Meri and with Mariah. In his mind, at least, he's the logical, rational member of the family.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

And Mariah... yes Meri sure messed up but the disrespect coming from Mariah makes her no better than her mother IMO.  She is mad at her mother, yet she is acting just like her.

Well ... let's see. How would you feel about your mother if:
1. Your mother had an affair.
2. Involved you in it by trying to get you to get to know her lover.
3. Crapped all over your family by planning to leave your father for her lover.*
4. Crapped all over the religion she raised in and pledges that she follows still.
5. Lies about the severity and nature of the affair.
6. Badgers you incessantly about why you haven't moved on barely 6 months after the affair ended.

* It's pretty apparent that Meri was planning to leave Kody for her lover because otherwise why would she try so hard to get Mariah to get to know him and become friendly with him. You only care that your child(ren) knows your lover if you're planning to take off to be with that person. Otherwise, you'd keep it hidden from them, as well, because you don't want them to blab to your spouse. This whole thing is a humongous pile of shit and Kodouche and Meri are both putting all the responsibility for dealing with it on their daughter. And when your mother can't even admit privately to you (Mariah) the truth and depth of the situation, then that's going to make for even harder feelings. If Mariah's been raised to always tell the truth, then she's going to place a pretty high bounty on being honest - which is something Meri has yet to do. Hell, I grew up lying to my parents all the time (because I was terrified of them) and I place a very high bounty on being honest. I don't put up with people lying to me for any reason. In a situation like the one in which Mariah finds herself right now, the fact that Meri continues to lie about it would probably push me to the point of never speaking with her again. There may well come a point where Meri has lied about it for so long that Mariah has no capacity to forgive.

• Love 18