Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: "Kody Takes Responsibility"

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

As for her tweet about deserving better - I would love for her to explain why exactly she "deserves" better.  

Wow she wrote that?  Very childish and demanding if it is in regards to her wedding. And if she really doesn't want to be a winter bride, she should wait until NEXT spring or summer--also to see if she's ready for such a commitment. I mean, have she and Tony even had a serious argument yet? THAT is when you learn to communicate and compromise or you're in trouble.

Or as said Kody could be like, fine, get married before I want but I'm not helping you with it financially.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

"Maddie got a big, fancy wedding with bridesmaid dresses and Little Smokies wrapped in Pillsbury crescent rolls!  I want deserve one, too!!"  *stomps foot*

Hey now, those are bohemian!  John Denver actually ate them when discovering his ethnic roots in Bohemia while wearing cotton and lace!

• Love 19

Kody, your family was never a 'safe place' (whatever that means) for everyone nor will it be.  It started out to be a rat hole of hell when your first 2 damn wives didn't even like each other!  What were you thinking?  And you have an openly favorite wife, too?  Jesus Christ.  Oh. and favorite kids (Maddie and Logan) and now add Cody.  LOL!   I have a hunch all polyg families are hot beds of emotion and jealousy too.  How could they not be?  

He is such a twat. 

ETA.  He did handle Michaela well.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Beyond acting entitled, which she certainly is doing, Mykelti is coming off as an incredible snob regarding a backyard wedding. What's wrong with that?  Depending on how it's done, a back yard wedding could be nicer than some tacky event place with lousy food.  I saw one win on Four Weddings, & it was done very well. They also didn't have a mcmansion like these folks (although they did have grass but Meri does, right?)  They have huge houses, a whole cul-de-sac to themselves. Again, it's all in how it's done.

But she's coming off as a 'too good for that snobby brat'.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

There was a preview last night for the next episode.   It was FT and Mykelti coming to discuss their decision on a wedding month.   Of course, they want August.  Kody is handling this whole thing all wrong.  He should have said okay but we will not be able to financially assist you that soon.  Good luck to you lovebirds, let us know the date and location and we will be there!   I would love to see THAT reaction from FT and Mykelti.   Demanding and entitled children need a reality check.

No peeking, because you read my mind. :).  I was just going to post the same thing.  WTH with "negotiating" with children.  Here are your choices:  option a or b.  Take it leave it.  Sister wives has had some lame story lines and this is one of the worst.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

As for her tweet about deserving better - I would love for her to explain why exactly she "deserves" better.  

Because she is a PRINCESS, dammit and ITS HER DAY!!!!!!  If you've watched as many wedding shows as I have, you know no further explanation is necessary. 

Ok, my wedding show addiction is out.  I'm hanging my head in shame.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, RealityCowgirl said:

Mariah, you do you. I wish you well. 

What is more interesting to me is the likelihood that the massive herd of children they've created will include one or more who do not fit their heterosexual ideal. Statistics are not on their side. If I'm remembering right, they've talked a good game publicly about acceptance. But how will that play out when one - or more - of their children makes the theoretical real?

No doubt they'll be surprised at just how they feel.  They might be more accepting than they expected, or less.  I think a lot of it will depend on if they've already suspected that one of the kids was gay, less of a shock that way.

There was a young man running The Amazing Race a few years ago with his mother.  He said that he was so worried about telling her, but he needn't have been.  She'd figured it out years before and was fine with it.

Maybe the Browns already know or suspect that one (or more) of their children is gay, and are trying to let them know that it's OK.

• Love 1

I had a backyard wedding and it was really nice, so I'm offended at Mykelti's snobby attitude about it.  Besides, they at that Family Dedication Ceremony thing at their home and with all the lights over the cul-de-sac, I thought it was really pretty.  They could definitely spruce it up even more to make it nicer.  Mykelti claims she wants to get married in a park, so what's the difference between a park and a backyard? 

• Love 19

Okay, I watched the rest of the episode, including the whole conversation between Kody and Mariah. My take on this is that Meri was totally and completely planning to leave Kody for "Sam". She had a plan and was executing on it. That's why she wanted Mariah to like "Sam", and kept bringing up "Sam" to Mariah and trying to convince her "Sam" was a good person. If Sam was just some online tryst, Meri would never have mentioned it to Mariah, or would have done more to pass Sam off as "just a friend".

Kody was amazingly mature in his conversation with Mariah. Like, I've never seen him be such an actual adult. I know it won't last, but it was nice to see him not throw Meri under the bus, and to see him acknowledge that the online affair was part of a larger problem in their marriage. He is in denial that Meri was really going to leave, but he seems to get on some level why the whole situation happened. And he seems to want to work on the marriage. The problem now as I see it is that Meri hasn't decided whether she's staying in the marriage or not. Until Meri decides if she wants to work on the relationship, counseling isn't going to help. Meri has to make an actual decision, and this will likely drag on like the debate over having another baby.

Tony's an idiot, and that marriage has no chance of working, but Tony doesn't seem like a bad guy. Just immature. The only reason the family is okay with Maddie's quick marriage and not Mykelti's is because the whole family is dysfunctionally in love with Caleb. In reality, both girls are 19, uneducated, and lacking in any basic job skill. Maddie talks more maturely, but she and her sister are basically the same.

I thought the same thing.  Mykelti has said on the show and on social media that she doesn't care about a big wedding, but then says that she doesn't feel she should have to get married in her backyard due to a lack of funds.  Which is it?!  Just an FYI, Mykelti: young people without money who shouldn't be getting married in the first place and who do not have parental buy-in are often forced to go to the courthouse.  Just how badly do you want to get married, hmm?

Not defending her, but the Browns have clearly spent a shitload (or TLC did?) on Maddie's wedding. They have 18 kids, and they seem to throw all their money at one child, without thinking about budgeting for the next 17. Poor Truely is never going to college, and will have to get married at a drive-through on the Vegas strip.

Edited by Kellyee
  • Love 20

Here's my take on the topic at hand:

Meri: Meri was heavily involved in a cyber-relationship, that she had every intention of taking to the next level of a real, physical, intimate, having-sex-type relationship, and was only thwarted by the fact that the other person turned out to be a woman who was trolling her for dirt on the show.

In that sense, Meri's defense is no different from the defense used by the guys who show up (complete with duct tape and axes in their trunk) on To Catch a Predator.  The intended actions are immeasurably different, to be sure.  But in terms of intent, both were thwarted only because their cyber-partners turned out to be fake.

Kody: I don't think Kody is taking responsibility.  I think he's attempting to reassert control.  Because his name isn't "Meri", he isn't buying the "just friends" defense (because no one, possibly even not Meri herself, buys that line of bullshit).  So he's faced with a situation where his wife was in the process of leaving him for a "lesser man" (because in Kody's mind he's superior to everyone).  That would make Kody, as the kids say today, a "cuck".  

But by aligning with Meri-as-victim, he gets to play this off as Meri doing something dumb as a reaction to a position that he deliberately placed her in within the traveling-grifter-circus that passes for a "family".  He's not admitting that his placing her in that position was wrong.  He can still assert that her reaction to his justified behavior (because everything he does is self-justifying, of course) was wrong.

And this way, he's not acknowledging himself as inadequate.  He's asserting his own authority and tagging Meri as weak and susceptible to being "victimized".

Edited by Alapaki
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Okay, I watched the rest of the episode, including the whole conversation between Kody and Mariah. My take on this is that Meri was totally and completely planning to leave Kody for "Sam". She had a plan and was executing on it. That's why she wanted Mariah to like "Sam", and kept bringing up "Sam" to Mariah and trying to convince her "Sam" was a good person. If Sam was just some online tryst, Meri would never have mentioned it to Mariah, or would have done more to pass Sam off as "just a friend".

Kody was amazingly mature in his conversation with Mariah. Like, I've never seen him be such an actual adult. I know it won't last, but it was nice to see him not throw Meri under the bus, and to see him acknowledge that the online affair was part of a larger problem in their marriage. He is in denial that Meri was really going to leave, but he seems to get on some level why the whole situation happened. And he seems to want to work on the marriage. The problem now as I see it is that Meri hasn't decided whether she's staying in the marriage or not. Until Meri decides if she wants to work on the relationship, counseling isn't going to help. Meri has to make an actual decision, and this will likely drag on like the debate over having another baby.

Tony's an idiot, and that marriage has no chance of working, but Tony doesn't seem like a bad guy. Just immature. The only reason the family is okay with Maddie's quick marriage and not Mykelti's is because the whole family is dysfunctionally in love with Caleb. In reality, both girls are 19, uneducated, and lacking in any basic job skill. Maddie talks more maturely, but she and her sister are basically the same.

I think Mariah doesn't understand that, even though Meri had the online affair and it was hurtful, it's hard pretend to be happy in a relationship with a man who isn't reciprocating emotional support, love and affection and where there are other wives involved. It seems their issues run deep and there's probably  "blame" on both sides. Truly opening up about it is scary because if either one of them has really checked out, it'll just be a pretend relationship--aquaintances and occasional roommates. But did they ever have a true bond or did they just.........get married?

Having said that, I think Kody downplayed the online relationship to Mariah and I think she knows better which makes her even more upset about it. 

• Love 4

I'm ashamed to say it but sometimes I like Kody. I think he would be a good dad if he didn't have so many children and he'd be a good husband if he'd commit to only one wife. Since he can't do those things, he is a douche. Any man who won't commit to one woman is no good obviously. Doing it because of your religion doesn't make it better. 

Anyway, I actually think he was being sincere about feeling like he's somewhat to blame for the Meri situation. I don't think he is trying to reassert control any more than a regular Christian man would. Kody isn't the only man in the world who believes the husband is in a place of authority over the wives. There are a lot of them and they're called Christians. So the fact that he follows what is written in his holy book and expects the wives to do the same is not surprising. I sort of understand why he's so defensive of Meri. I don't really think there's any other motive except that he's trying to be a good Christian.

Also, I don't think he loves Meri in the way that he should anyway. I think she was number one for him even after he married Christine and Janelle because I think he just married them to do his Mormon duty. But I think he fell in love with Robyn. They admit that they had marital problems even before he met Robyn which is what led to his wandering eye, so to speak. After years upon years of marriage to the same three women, he suddenly feels the need for another? Sounds like midlife crisis to me. So when he fell in love with Robyn it pretty much put the last nail in the coffin for his relationship with Meri. So I see why he takes responsibility. He knows he doesn't love her like that anymore and she needed some attention so she went and got it. He also knows he doesn't give a shit and he probably wishes she could leave but he can't get rid of her because of the religion. 

As a child of a parent who talked mad shit about the other, I appreciate the fact that he was unwilling to do that with Meriah. Even though she was begging for it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Right? And who is to say what is "better" anyhow. You know what I thought *I* deserved? To start marriage out debt free. My family lived so scattered. We didn't have a lot of money. My father wasn't speaking to me (hasn't in 8 years). We just went to the courthouse. Maybe not super romantic, but practical. I know too many people who went into BIG debt over their weddings and aren't even married anymore! No thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I'm ashamed to say it but sometimes I like Kody. I think he would be a good dad if he didn't have so many children and he'd be a good husband if he'd commit to only one wife. Since he can't do those things, he is a douche. Any man who won't commit to one woman is no good obviously. Doing it because of your religion doesn't make it better. 

I kind of agree with this. I think he is quite immature and self centered at times, but he is not nearly as controlling as a lot of polygamist men are. I wouldn't say he's abusive. He has had some moments one-on-one with his kids, that I thought he really handled well. I do think he LIKES the chaos of running house to house. But when it becomes too hard, he just hunkers down with one wife and ignores the rest. I am not one to judge other people's religions. If they all sign up for it, I'm not going to feel sorry for them. But I don't think there are too many people on this planet who could handle this lifestyle well. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Kody isn't the only man in the world who believes the husband is in a place of authority over the wives. There are a lot of them and they're called Christians.

They are called believers in patriarchy not general Christianity.  There are subsets of Christianity with patriarchal beliefs and there are non-Christian groups with patriarchal beliefs.  There are people who would say Kody's church is not Christian.  But yes, Kody is definitely full of a patriarchal belief system.  I have doubts that he'd ever be a good father and definitely not to more than about two children.  He has the occasional moment where he sort of seems to get it and then dozens where he's in his own world.

I'm finding their registry humorous.  For two kids who will be renting for who knows how long to ask for a wall mounted gourmet kitchen display, lemon/lime squeezer, waffle maker, crepe griddle, etc. strikes my funny bone.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 13
On December 5, 2016 at 7:48 AM, ginger90 said:

Janelle and Meri, who really cares? They do realize that to some, they have had sex with each other, right? Makes me gag.

I wonder when's the last time Kodi went anywhere near Janelles bedroom ?( we know Sobyn is número uno)   Janelle seems to have gained some weight , there was a point she was losing but she's packing it back on ( not fat shaming , just an observation). I laughed out loud at how dramatic Janelle was about planning a bridal shower - Jesus H. Woman ! Find a venue or one of the Brown living rooms , order some food and make some chocolate Dick lollipops , it's not that difficult !!! Always with the drama... 

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 12

Big Bang version of Clue?  I saw the Harry Potter version of Clue.  Hubby and I have been married 52 years, and have both worked full-time (recently retired).  When I saw the HP version, I thought, "Ooooooh.  I'd love to have that."  But we looked at the price and realized that it was in the "want" list, not the "need" list, so we weren't going to get it.  

Too many people start out thinking they have to have all the things they want, and end up not being grateful if they are given the things they need.

• Love 6

Daaaang, there's a lot of games on that registry. And Game of Thrones? Buy your own books, you charlatans! Better yet, borrow them from the library, because I doubt you'll get very far. 

I know it's a thing these days to register for "fun" stuff, but their list is off the charts. 

• Love 5

This little trick (Mykelti) is such a nasty piece of work to her Twitter followers and probably still expects them to fork over money on wedding gifts by making her registry public. She has enough immediate family alone that can get them what they need. It won't be much because this will be one of the world's shortest marriages ever.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I cannot imagine a day when Mykelti and Tony will not be renting...unless they get an amazing deal on a double wide.

Since they WILL be renting forever (maybe not, who knows, I am not Miss Cleo) good luck finding a large enough rental to hold all this extraneous stuff.  You need a mandoline AND a spiral cutter?  And really, buy your own books and games.  This is to start your household, not buy you whatever your heart desires.  At least there wasn't a vacation on their registry like my cousins daughter.  Not paying for your vacay missy!

• Love 5

Mykelti and Tony's wedding registry. 

True to the Brown genes, included is a "Happily Ever After" wall hanging.    And if she has been living in an apartment, why register for everything right down to measuring spoons.  And what's she been eating with, sticks whittled into forks and spoons?  Plus the scale and then 25 different cooking appliances.  Lord love a duck.  The Brown family IQ meter dips ever lower.

• Love 5

I have decent cupboard space and I wouldn't know where to put half that stuff.  Where would you put a griddle and a crepe maker?  I'm not much of a things person, but still.  A set of colanders and strainers?  Who needs that thingy that make vegetable spirals?  

An iron but no board.  And I may be speaking from experience here because I really needed an iron and board when I got married but didn't get one.  Maybe it's because I forgot to tell people I needed one.  Half that stuff will be coming to garage sale near you in about five years.  Or when the divorce comes, whichever is sooner.  My money is on the divorce.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DNR said:

I wonder when the last time Kodi went anywhere near Janelles bedroom ?( we know Sobyn is número uno)   Janelles seems to have gained some weight , there was a point she was losing but she's packing it back on. I laughed out loud at how dramatic was about planning a bridal shower - Jesus H. Woman ! Find a venue or one of the Brown living rooms , order some food and make some chocolate Dick lollipops , it's not that difficult !!! Always with the drama... 

I think Robyn and Christine may be tied for numero uno now. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, camom said:

My favorite thing on the list is the wiener forks.

FOUR of them.  They should have a max of 2 . . . 1 apiece.  Or maybe they'll serve them at their garden parties.  Hubby and I saw a really cool popcorn maker just now at Sam's Club; set the dial for the number of servings (1-4), and have air-popped popcorn.  It took us 20 seconds to realize we had nowhere to put it, so we didn't buy it.  We'll have to continue to make microwave popcorn in a paper bag.  Big deal.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, toodles said:

I have decent cupboard space and I wouldn't know where to put half that stuff.  Where would you put a griddle and a crepe maker?  I'm not much of a things person, but still.  A set of colanders and strainers?  Who needs that thingy that make vegetable spirals?  

An iron but no board.  And I may be speaking from experience here because I really needed an iron and board when I got married but didn't get one.  Maybe it's because I forgot to tell people I needed one.  Half that stuff will be coming to garage sale near you in about five years.  Or when the divorce comes, whichever is sooner.  My money is on the divorce.

Wow they must love to cook. I'm quite established cookery-wise and still don't have some of the things they want!! As far as places to put said items, there are baker's racks you can get for things like griddles, crepe makers, baking pans, cookbooks etc.. They're nice because you can immediately see what's there and don't have to bend over and strain to see under some cabinet. I wonder if that's on their list?

I got one from Ikea and love it. 

14 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Wow they must love to cook. I'm quite established cookery-wise and still don't have some of the things they want!! As far as places to put said items, there are baker's racks you can get for things like griddles, crepe makers, baking pans, cookbooks etc.. They're nice because you can immediately see what's there and don't have to bend over and strain to see under some cabinet. I wonder if that's on their list?

I got one from Ikea and love it. 

I don't have any room for a baker's rack, but it's a great idea.  My problem is stuff sitting out where people can see it.  I like things just so.  I know.  Picky, picky.  :)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, toodles said:

I don't have any room for a baker's rack, but it's a great idea.  My problem is stuff sitting out where people can see it.  I like things just so.  I know.  Picky, picky.  :)

Used to be that way myself. Luckily I'm in a decent size place now and the rack is able to be tucked in a nook where it fits in. 

I still don't have one of those veggie spiral things.........

6 hours ago, Adira said:

Mykelti claims she wants to get married in a park, so what's the difference between a park and a backyard? 

When Christine said about having the ceremony in their backyard Mykelti immediately said "I don't want it in your backyard".  She didn't say 'the backyard' or 'our backyard', but YOUR backyard.  They didn't go into a whole lot of detail about how Christine denied Mykelti coming home to live after realizing "college is hard", but after hearing her say that I wonder if she isn't holding on to more than a little resentment.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Used to be that way myself. Luckily I'm in a decent size place now and the rack is able to be tucked in a nook where it fits in. 

I still don't have one of those veggie spiral things.........

That's because no one needs one.

• Love 2

I only looked at the Target registry as the eye rolling triggered a headache.  It looks as though she walked up and down the aisles scanning every shiny thing in sight.  Can she even cook? 

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think Robyn and Christine may be tied for numero uno now. 

Christine will never be number one. She may think she is but she isn't. He didn't even like her when he married her. He was just trying to add to his harem. There's no way there's a sudden spark after all these years. Just sayin. Robyn is new pussy and there's no way in the world he's doing Christine. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Christine will never be number one. She may think she is but she isn't. He didn't even like her when he married her. He was just trying to add to his harem. There's no way there's a sudden spark after all these years. Just sayin. Robyn is new pussy and there's no way in the world he's doing Christine. 

I think I want to puke now.

I don't think Robyn and Kody are in the honeymoon stage anymore. Meri has closed shop. Maybe Christine seems happier because there's trouble in Robyn land. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think I want to puke now.

I don't think Robyn and Kody are in the honeymoon stage anymore. Meri has closed shop. Maybe Christine seems happier because there's trouble in Robyn land. 

They may not be in the honeymoon phase anymore but Robyn is definItely the wife. The others are friendzoned. If these assholes lived in the real world Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be his ex-wives. I maintain that if Kody is horny it's Robyn that he hits up. If he wants a friend that he's known for years, he chills with Christine (no sex). If he needs his checkbook balanced, Janelle is his girl. And if he wants to hear somebody whine and act like a victim, he knows where to find Meri but I have a feeling he doesn't go searching for that. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Mykelti sounds like a spoiled 12 year old.

Mykelti is determined to hang on to this wedding as proof of her value.  She is desperate for approval from Kody and to be loved by the family as much as Maddie. 

When I think back to how Christine didn't want Mykelti home from college and she was pushed toward the job in St. George, I think they are happy to marry her off--to almost anybody.  I think they are defending Tony so much because they don't want him to get away, not because they care all that much about him.  He ain't no Caleb in their eyes.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

They may not be in the honeymoon phase anymore but Robyn is definItely the wife. The others are friendzoned. If these assholes lived in the real world Meri, Janelle, and Christine would be his ex-wives. I maintain that if Kody is horny it's Robyn that he hits up. If he wants a friend that he's known for years, he chills with Christine (no sex). If he needs his checkbook balanced, Janelle is his girl. And if he wants to hear somebody whine and act like a victim, he knows where to find Meri but I have a feeling he doesn't go searching for that. 

I don't think that guy is getting ANY right now. 

I agree that Robyn is the main wifey but I think he hangs at Janelle s when he wants to lay on the couch and not worry about holding his stomach in. Most of her kids have flown the coop already and even the little girl seems pretty chill compared to Christine and Sobbyns girls. Janelle looks to be the type to be sleeping off a diabetic carb coma most evenings after a big bowl of pasta and cheese, so she won't bug him. 

I think Christine's house is likely a shitshow.

Lots of screaming and squealing and all kinds of pudding and cookie crumbs to step in on the floor.  Christine with that creepy whisper voice, and the babbling she does. Let alone if the poor bastard wants some toast with his eggs.. haha

He likely hasn't been to Meris alone in a year. 

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 12
On 12/4/2016 at 9:00 PM, TVFAN said:

Mariah says she wants some space, but is she willing to accept what that would mean?  She seemingly wants space from Meri, but not from the tuition dollars and other perks that Meri provides.  She reminds me of a childhood friend who thought her absentee father walked on water.  If she had to rely on Kody alone, she certainly would not be living the life she is now.  I get why she's mad at Mary, but you can't spit in someone's face and then hold out your hand for cash.

I'm really surprised no one has tweeted this to her yet. 

• Love 6