Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Temperance said:

Joy is good-natured. She's trying to make it work. She probably is joyfully available when she's not recovering from giving birth to their babies. 

She seems game for a lot of his ideas and desires, like hiking, fishing, etc. 

I'm still not over him taking her ice fishing while 3rd trimester pregnant with Gideon. Later she admitted she doesn't really know how to swim. 

She's also dumb as a rock ("Look, the candles are still on!" when the lights went out) and likely has a bunch of Duggar habits that's probably off-putting to even the most like-minded fundies.

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Where are Joy's bangs? Or were these professional pix they did before the bangs?

These are the pics from when they got engaged. Note that her natural winter hair color isn't brown-black.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

Regarding hair color - I was naturally blondish, light brown hair. After 2 pregnancies I am dark brown. It is said that hormones can do that, especially with women with thyroid problems,  like I have. 

I am not saying she is lying, she probably dyed it, but natural darkening can also happen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Regarding hair color - I was naturally blondish, light brown hair. After 2 pregnancies I am dark brown. It is said that hormones can do that, especially with women with thyroid problems,  like I have. 

I am not saying she is lying, she probably dyed it, but natural darkening can also happen.

My hair has darkened a bit naturally over the years, though it's been pretty dark since I was a teenager. (Born with black hair but went through a blonde phase as a toddler before it darkened back up. It's been brownish black--like the color Joy currently has--since I was a teenager), so I know you're right that it can happen.

I'd buy it more if her hair just didn't seem to suddenly change color overnight at the same time she'd obviously been messing with her hair (bad bangs). Something tells me that Joy's hair won't stay this color and that she'll shift back to her natural color as the dye wears off. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

And ok I'm lazy but playing in the dirt in pjs? She cant slap the baby into some clothes?

I know, right? And Evy is in a sleeper. You have to half undress her to change her diaper. Why not dress her then?

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Maybe Joy decided to let them play in the dirt before their bathtime. I hate to defend a Duggar, but I see no point in putting a tiny tyke in nice clean clothes and then let them play in the dirt. Letting them have a good wallow in the dirt and rocks, and then cleaning them up, makes more sense to me. I played in the mud and dirt as a kid and managed to survive.

Good point. I typically bathed my kids at night, so I wasn't thinking in that direction.

• Love 5

But if it was before bedtime, why would they be in their pajamas already? I think she just didn’t bother to change them into appropriate clothes before letting them play outside. Surely they have some non-pajama clothes they would wear to do that.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

But if it was before bedtime, why would they be in their pajamas already? I think she just didn’t bother to change them into appropriate clothes before letting them play outside. Surely they have some non-pajama clothes they would wear to do that.

I said "before bathtime," if that's what you're replying to. They could have run outside not long after they got out of bed. Who knows? I have an idea that Joy keeps a cleaner house than, say, Jessa (low bar, I know) - if only because I think Austin's had a more regimented upbringing than the Duggars had. He may be used to a clean house and I am sure Joy wants to meet his expectations. Not only as to the house but the kids. OTOH I think Joy is by nature more laid back than Austin (another low bar, lol) and isn't going to stress if the kids get dirty although I have no reason to believe she lets them live in filth. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I said "before bathtime," if that's what you're replying to. They could have run outside not long after they got out of bed. Who knows? I have an idea that Joy keeps a cleaner house than, say, Jessa (low bar, I know) - if only because I think Austin's had a more regimented upbringing than the Duggars had. He may be used to a clean house and I am sure Joy wants to meet his expectations. Not only as to the house but the kids. OTOH I think Joy is by nature more laid back than Austin (another low bar, lol) and isn't going to stress if the kids get dirty although I have no reason to believe she lets them live in filth. 

I've been surprised at Joy seemingly rolling with the domestic chores since marriage in a way I don't think she's naturally inclined to do.   You bring up a good point that Austin's expectations might play into that.   We have seen onscreen that he is mindful about germs and that is important to him also.

I suspected that Joy rolled with their minimal living quarters early in their marriage largely because it freed her from a lot of chores she didn't like, leaving her the chance to join Austin at work doing things that appealed to her more.   That continued for the early part of Gideon's life.   Pretty sure toddlerhood and a second child have created obstacles for her to join Austin very much at work, and created more work for her on the homefront.   It will be interesting to see if that shows itself in their demeanor, particularly with one another. 

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I've been surprised at Joy seemingly rolling with the domestic chores since marriage in a way I don't think she's naturally inclined to do.   You bring up a good point that Austin's expectations might play into that.   We have seen onscreen that he is mindful about germs and that is important to him also.

I suspected that Joy rolled with their minimal living quarters early in their marriage largely because it freed her from a lot of chores she didn't like, leaving her the chance to join Austin at work doing things that appealed to her more.   That continued for the early part of Gideon's life.   Pretty sure toddlerhood and a second child have created obstacles for her to join Austin very much at work, and created more work for her on the homefront.   It will be interesting to see if that shows itself in their demeanor, particularly with one another. 

He didn’t seem very mindful about germs when he mocked Covid. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

He didn’t seem very mindful about germs when he mocked Covid. 

I was discussing in reference to the fact their home appears to be much more kept up than Jessa's, and the fact that they did a storyline on the show about his tendencies when they had the fondue date night with several of the couples.   IMO they haven't shown a single lick of concern about Covid, nor have I tried to defend that.

Not sure Covid as a virus technically qualifies as a germ anyways.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Whoops, yes, I read that wrong, sorry! I agree that Joy’s house looks much better than Jessa’s. Joy doesn’t seem to care about her clothes too much, so it shouldn’t be surprising that she lets the kids play in the dirt in pajamas.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

The four major types of germs are bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa . 

Right on!

Germ: a microorganism, especially one which causes disease

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

What is a germ if not a deadly virus?

People don't get COVID from being dirty. Austin's germaphobia seems more related to personal hygiene and physical actions (double dipping) than from invisible viruses flying through the air.

As for wearing pj's to play outside, why not? They're warm, comfortable, and like @Jeeves said, if the kids are going to bathe after playing in the dirt why put on clean clothes that are just going to get tossed in the laundry when they get inside.

• Love 9
Just now, Nysha said:

People don't get COVID from being dirty. Austin's germaphobia seems more related to personal hygiene and physical actions (double dipping) than from invisible viruses flying through the air.

As for wearing pj's to play outside, why not? They're warm, comfortable, and like @Jeeves said, if the kids are going to bathe after playing in the dirt why put on clean clothes that are just going to get tossed in the laundry when they get inside.

But isn't double dipping gross because you're leaving your invisible germs in the dip?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

My daughter who is admittedly a bit compulsive has let the kids out in the backyard to play in their sleepwear especially on days where they are going to get a shower and dressed up to go out somewhere.  Not everyone can handle bath time at the end of the day when everyone is tired or exhausted.

• Love 9
On 3/1/2021 at 5:36 AM, GeeGolly said:

You're so much nicer than me. I was thinking her hair is not always that clean and her bangs show the oil more.

The way they are separated looks like she put product on them and combed it through with a wide tooth comb.

• Useful 3

so Nathan Bates is a licensed flight instructor and is probably the one training all of the Mediccorps folks at Jeer's Learn to Fly Here! flight school on the donations to Mediccorps dime. In Duggar Aviation planes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

so Nathan Bates is a licensed flight instructor and is probably the one training all of the Mediccorps folks at Jeer's Learn to Fly Here! flight school on the donations to Mediccorps dime. In Duggar Aviation planes.

What a frightening thought. 

• Love 3