Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

OK, I admit it, I am a sucker for "Duggars in  the wild" videos (i.e. anytime someone films at the Big House).

Of course there are 8,092 things to be horrified by, from Johannah driving around the (OK, I have no idea what that was, I'm not an off-road vehicle person...) whatever that was with unrestrained toddlers, to confirmation that they continue to have weekly super speade-- er, I mean Family Nights, to poor Jackson trying to sleep amidst the chaos (are they not allowed upstairs alone??). Sadly no full-body shots of Anna... there was a sitting one at one point, but no belly visible. No Josh visible, either (unless I've just learned to mentally block him out?), so that's something. Poor Jenni looked miserable at the trampoline park.

But I will say, that while Austin has horrendous beliefs and is in general a shitty person, he's one of the more engaged fathers in the Duggar crowd, and clearly adores his kids. And Joy actually wraps her kid's birthday gifts, so she's a step above Jessa.

4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Seems "Cousin Emily" is still around - I think she was one of the ladies that took gideon for a ride

She was. And I think the cousin Joy introduced (Jacob?) is her brother. I swear, the Duggars are just an open house for all sorts of random young people... of course you have to be like-minded to make the cut, but they don't seem particularly supervised. (I'm thinking of the videos I saw on one of their other friend's Instagram... that Maddi girl?... where there were always large groups of people. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m surprised there isn’t at least 1 Bates-Duggar marriage 

Hhmmm wonder why

They seemed to be closer back in the day (when the older kids were still teens... which I guess would be marrying age in these circles, but nothing happened), and I think there were a few hinted at matches (Joe and... Carlin? Tori?... I think he stayed with the Bateses during his one semester of college), but who knows if anyone really came close. Nowadays I think the Bates consider themselves too good for the Duggars. The Bates girls in particular seem to marry fairly well, to men with actual jobs, so that leaves the Duggar boys out. And of course there's the all-important question of whose show/ network would get to air the wedding!

There's still a chance, of course. We've got Jackson/ Warden/ Isaiah Bates not too much older than Johannah/ Jenni Duggar, Addallee and Ellie Bates not much younger than Jackson Duggar (though again, I don't think Gil Bates would smile on one of his daughters marrying a Duggar), and Josie Duggar is only a little older than Judson Bates. And then there are the grandkids...

• Love 7

What a horror, kids everywhere yelling, nobody eating together, spending hundreds of dollars for food that they aren't sure people will eat. It's more like a bus station than a home.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
35 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

She was. And I think the cousin Joy introduced (Jacob?) is her brother. I swear, the Duggars are just an open house for all sorts of random young people... of course you have to be like-minded to make the cut, but they don't seem particularly supervised. (I'm thinking of the videos I saw on one of their other friend's Instagram... that Maddi girl?... where there were always large groups of people. 

Evan Peters? He is one of the younger guys tagged in several of Hilaria's posts

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Did anyone else notice Mr. Forsythe swat Gideon's hand away when Gideon was sucking his thumb? I did not like that. 

8 hours ago, crazy8s said:

he pushed Gideon's hand away from his mouth twice. second time he clearly said :"get that out of your mouth. You're 3yrs old now, you're too old for that"

I did notice that. It was rather awful. Even before that, I noticed Austin didn't make a big deal of it, so when the grandfather swatted Giddy it jumped right out at me.

Did y'all notice JB and Mr Forsyth jockeying for Grandpa position?

• Love 1

Honestly, I watched the birthday video and I didn't think that Austin's father 'slapped' Gideon's hand away from his mouth. He did the right thing, IMO, these kids are way too old to still be sucking their thumbs at 3 years old. It's just not good all the way around, IMO. Germs, bad teeth, etc. I know I have a 'thing' with thumb sucking, it disturbs me seeing it on kids Gideon's age. He may well be still doing it at 5 if not told to stop.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Honestly, I watched the birthday video and I didn't think that Austin's father 'slapped' Gideon's hand away from his mouth. He did the right thing, IMO, these kids are way too old to still be sucking their thumbs at 3 years old. It's just not good all the way around, IMO. Germs, bad teeth, etc. I know I have a 'thing' with thumb sucking, it disturbs me seeing it on kids Gideon's age. He may well be still doing it at 5 if not told to stop.

He may be too old, but there's other ways to discourage thumb sucking. Swatting his hand is a little harsh. And if he's still sucking his thumb at age 5, will the grandpa embarrass him publicly like that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

He may be too old, but there's other ways to discourage thumb sucking. Swatting his hand is a little harsh. And if he's still sucking his thumb at age 5, will the grandpa embarrass him publicly like that?

JRod’s daughter, Sofia, is 5 and still sucks her thumb and now Janessa is doing the same.  I know more than one child who sucked his/her thumb for so many years that it completely screwed up their mouth and teeth.  It costs the parents thousands of dollars to repair the damage that the long term thumb-sucking caused.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I agree that they could have handled the thumb sucking a bit more discreetly, but I do agree that they need to nip it in the bud now.  My cousin was a thumb sucker for many years and had to have major orthodontics later in life.  I went to middle school with a girl who was still doing it in 6th grade.  The teachers used to be so cruel to her, but she did manage to kick the habit in the 7th grade, when the braces went on.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I would imagine there'd be a lot of thumb-suckers in this community, where there are litters of children who have to learn to self soothe. I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence, but my only thumb sucker was my third baby in a four year span. I was as attentive as humanly possible, but sometimes she had to get in line. And believe me, "nipping it in the bud" isn't always a simple matter. It can be a years-long process, especially when it's happening their sleep. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 22

I saw that Mr. Forsyth simply 'moved' Gideon's hand away from his mouth and told him quietly that he was too old for that. If no one tells the kid, how will he know to stop doing it? I was going to add the 2 younger Rodriguez daughters, (I don't know their names off the top of my head) are heavy thumb suckers. The older of the two seems to always either be sucking the end of a blanket or her thumb. She is about 5 or 6? Another similarity I find disturbing is those same darkk circles around the Rodriguez childrens' eyes were seen on Jill, Jessa and Jinger when they were little. I think it's no coincidence. Those kids are over worked, sleep deprived and under fed. I believe it's something in 'the cult'.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Portia said:

I would imagine there'd be a lot of thumb-suckers in this community, where there are litters of children who have to learn to self soothe. I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence, but my only thumb sucker was my third baby in a four year span. I was as attentive as humanly possible, but sometimes she had to get in line. And believe me, "nipping it in the bud" isn't always a simple matter. It can be a years-long process, especially when it's happening their sleep. 

That's interesting.  My only thumb sucker was my third, and last, child.  She never walked around doing it but she did it in her sleep.  Even until age five!  

Giddy being firstborn received lots of attention though.  I think some kids just discover their thumbs and some don't.  Some suck on pacifiers for way too long too.

• Love 3

I noticed that Austin & his Dad both said "and many more" and gave a kiss to Gideon after the Happy Birthday song. They both seem to love holding the kids and are engaged. Honestly my fil would have done the whole "You're too old for that" regarding thumb sucking. I don't think that was too awful, kind of playful. I know they're all in favor of the horrid Pearl methods, but I didn't see anything terrible in that video. Gideon is really cute and such a cheerful little guy!

• Love 5

I'm not saying thumb sucking for an extended period of time is a good thing, I just think there's better ways of discouraging it, than the way Mr Forsyth did. 

If I go into full speculation mode, I could ask if he handles it that way in front of others, is it worse in private? Would he be okay with a 3 year old granddaughter sucking her thumb? Is it about mouth health or about manliness?

And, Giddy is not his kid to begin with.

But I'm not going there. Personally what Mr Forsyth did stuck out to me, because it bothered me.

• Love 17
Just now, Growsonwalls said:

The TTH parties/gatherings are just the worst. I feel so grateful every day that I'll never have to attend one.

Me too! Such chaos and so many random people. I noticed Joy wasn’t too keen on trying a new food, she ate a pot sticker and said it was slimy. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ozziemom said:

Me too! Such chaos and so many random people. I noticed Joy wasn’t too keen on trying a new food, she ate a pot sticker and said it was slimy. 

The girl is an idiot, how are potstickers slimy? And how are any kind of dumpling unknown to her? Guess all they ate was tuna with BBQ sauce and canned peas.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

The girl is an idiot, how are potstickers slimy? And how are any kind of dumpling unknown to her? Guess all they ate was tuna with BBQ sauce and canned peas.

Don't forget the spaghetti-O casseroles.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

to poor Jackson trying to sleep amidst the chaos (are they not allowed upstairs alone??). 

Oh hell no.. He might masterbate if he was upstairs alone. Can't have that. 

So. Much. Chaos. In the house. Why did Gideon have rice all over him in the car at the beginning of the video? Odd choice for food for the car. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Poor Jenni looked miserable at the trampoline park.

Probably because she was Aunt-Momming Ivy.  You could tell she was in charge of watching her.

Every time I see Gideon sucking his thumb, I wonder if they are trying anything to get him to stop. If swatting the hand away seems bad, what my mom did to my brother would probably put her in jail in this day and age. He was a thumb sucker and it was  so bad, he got what my mom called a "nobbers" on his thumb. Guessing it was some sort of sore or blister.  Keep in mind, this was in the 60's. When she asked the doctor what to do to get him to stop, he suggested some sort of pepper sauce. She did just that and within one dose, he stopped. He was almost 4 and would be going to kindergarten.

From what I have seen in videos with Gideon, he's probably a big time thumb sucker, enough for Austin's Dad to say something to him and swat his hand away.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Maybe the potstickers were spoiled therefore slimy 

Yep. Or just badly made and slimy. I wouldn't assume that any food served in the TTH was just fine and that Joy was wrong to call it slimy. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Joy and Austin seem ok with Gideon and thumb sucking and seriously he just turned 3. His family has had the loss of a child and then a newborn in the home, his mom posts her struggles. Gideon sucks his thumb for comfort.

Grandpa didn't really smack his thumb out of his mouth and his words were not mean or angry in the video. I just thought it wasn't his place to correct. there was also an odd edit. Gideon on JB"s lap thumb in mouth, other grandpa next to them. Quick cut and JB still holding Gideon but no thumb sucking.

also interesting Jenny seems sad while Jordyn, who has always been sad is now more animated. In this video and with the ones with Jer in CA

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 4

Grampa Forsyth moved Gideon's hand from his mouth twice. The first time, it was pretty gentle, whereas the second time, it was a little more forceful. But you're right, it was not his place to do so. He's Gideon's grandfather, not his father.

I don't get Jenni's outfits. Even Jordyn has graduated from the dresses to the T-shirt/jean skirt combo like Hannie, yet Jenni doesn't seem to ever want to wear jean skirts or any type of skirts for that matter. They seem to always be dresses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Why did Gideon have rice all over him in the car at the beginning of the video? Odd choice for food for the car.

Yeah, I didn't quite get the food situation... Joy mentioned that Family Night was an Asian food theme, yet Gideon seemed to eat before they arrived (hence the rice mess), and when Austin got in the car, Joy handed him a bag and said something along the lines of, "Here's yours." So it seemed to be kind of a bring your own meal thing? Or maybe bring your own meal and a little extra for potluck (hence Jessa offering Joy the potsticker)? 

I guess it's nice that Joy let Gideon eat when he was hungry rather than making him wait, but I'm not sure how a barely-three-year-old is supposed to manage rice on his own in the car without making a mess...

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yeah, I didn't quite get the food situation... Joy mentioned that Family Night was an Asian food theme, yet Gideon seemed to eat before they arrived (hence the rice mess), and when Austin got in the car, Joy handed him a bag and said something along the lines of, "Here's yours." So it seemed to be kind of a bring your own meal thing? Or maybe bring your own meal and a little extra for potluck (hence Jessa offering Joy the potsticker)? 

I guess it's nice that Joy let Gideon eat when he was hungry rather than making him wait, but I'm not sure how a barely-three-year-old is supposed to manage rice on his own in the car without making a mess...

When Austin leaned into the car and noticed the rice mess all over Giddy, Joy muttered something about Panda Express. And Giddy having eaten fried rice . Eating rice in a car sounds like the perfect way to ruin a car!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Remember, Joy has a vocabulary of about 700 words. Slimy isn't the worst word to use to describe steamed pot stickers -- not a great choice, but I'll buy it. Pot stickers are also pretty low on the "adventures in food" scale, and it's pretty sad that they're too exotic for her.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Remember, Joy has a vocabulary of about 700 words. Slimy isn't the worst word to use to describe steamed pot stickers -- not a great choice, but I'll buy it. Pot stickers are also pretty low on the "adventures in food" scale, and it's pretty sad that they're too exotic for her.

Jessa said usually the ones they get are more fried so that could account for the difference in texture. I think steamed dumplings or potstickers could be more slimy to Joy. Again the Duggars aren’t too adventurous in their eating based on what we’ve seen in their world travels.

• Love 5
On 3/3/2021 at 6:05 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Uh oh. Evy has the Forsyth nose.

Slap a mustache, a custom-made Italian suit, and a venomous expression on that kid’s face and she’s the exact image of a former sociopath boss I had for a while. Gave me chills.

• Love 3

I found Joy's video confusing and it was also heavily edited. Did what she filmed happen all in one day or over the course of a few days? It seemed to start with the TTH, then the trampoline park, maybe back to the TTH, then Joy's house at night and again in the morning. It seem a lot to all be in one day.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I found Joy's video confusing and it was also heavily edited. Did what she filmed happen all in one day or over the course of a few days? It seemed to start with the TTH, then the trampoline park, maybe back to the TTH, then Joy's house at night and again in the morning. It seem a lot to all be in one day.

I think it was two separate days. Joy said something like Giddy how old are you going to be tomorrow when they were going to TTH for Asian Night. And his actual birthday and the trampoline party might be different days too.

• Useful 5
6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't get Jenni's outfits. Even Jordyn has graduated from the dresses to the T-shirt/jean skirt combo like Hannie, yet Jenni doesn't seem to ever want to wear jean skirts or any type of skirts for that matter. They seem to always be dresses.

When I was a pre-teen and teen, I lived in sweats and cotton pants in an era when everyone wore jeans. I was slim, but I hated the way jeans felt on my stomach. My oldest daughter is similar. She prefers dresses and leggings and hates anything on her stomach. The only time it causes a problem is with her karate uniform. I mostly wear dresses and leggings myself, unless I'm hanging out in sweats at home.

Jenni might just prefer the way dresses feel. Jean skirts are not really comfortable. 

• Love 12
On 3/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Sorry my quote box is acting up..

When my kids were babies we chose to give them pacifiers because you can take away the pacifier when they reach a certain age but you can't take away their thumb.

We let them have their pacifier until they turned 2 and then we told them that only little babies have pacifiers and they were big kids now and didn't need the pacifier anymore.... that method might not work so smoothly for other kids but it worked great for us.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Sorry my quote box is acting up..

When my kids were babies we chose to give them pacifiers because you can take away the pacifier when they reach a certain age but you can't take away their thumb.

We let them have their pacifier until they turned 2 and then we told them that only little babies have pacifiers and they were big kids now and didn't need the pacifier anymore.... that method might not work so smoothly for other kids but it worked great for us.

We had no thumb suckers and only one kid who used a pacifier. That thing was a God send. We started to set limits with it during the second year. Things like no talking with it in your mouth, then only using it at bed/nap time. 

One day we were at a friends BBQ and stayed longer than we had planned. My kid was tired and needed to sleep. After some initial balking, she was asleep within 5 minutes with no pacifier. We took that as our chance and and hid all the pacifiers that night. I realized then I was more dependent on her pacifier than she was.

But like you said, thumbs are always there, so are more difficult to stop.

Only but a few continue sucking their thumb beyond toddlerhood. I'm sure they'll encourage Giddy to stop eventually, or maybe they already are. One thing they have going against them is Giddy will never go to a school. A developmental milestone that helps kids tangibly mark a growing up step. And a place full of structure and distractions with less time to need their thumb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was just imagining Joy homeschooling. Very sad. Do we have any idea if Anna is teaching her kids at all? Besides Izzy, a few of the M’s are the only school age grandchildren, IIRC. This third generation is probably going to pay the price of their isolation and Fundie thinking.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I was just imagining Joy homeschooling. Very sad. Do we have any idea if Anna is teaching her kids at all? Besides Izzy, a few of the M’s are the only school age grandchildren, IIRC. This third generation is probably going to pay the price of their isolation and Fundie thinking.

I believe Ben is teaching the younger of the Duggar 19 and a few of the grandchildren. Or at least he helps.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I believe Ben is teaching the younger of the Duggar 19 and a few of the grandchildren. Or at least he helps.

Oh right, Jordyn said he was the head teacher on her podcast with Jeremy. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

We had no thumb suckers and only one kid who used a pacifier. That thing was a God send. We started to set limits with it during the second year. Things like no talking with it in your mouth, then only using it at bed/nap time. 

One day we were at a friends BBQ and stayed longer than we had planned. My kid was tired and needed to sleep. After some initial balking, she was asleep within 5 minutes with no pacifier. We took that as our chance and and hid all the pacifiers that night. I realized then I was more dependent on her pacifier than she was.

But like you said, thumbs are always there, so are more difficult to stop.

Only but a few continue sucking their thumb beyond toddlerhood. I'm sure they'll encourage Giddy to stop eventually, or maybe they already are. One thing they have going against them is Giddy will never go to a school. A developmental milestone that helps kids tangibly mark a growing up step. And a place full of structure and distractions with less time to need their thumb.

And he’ll never learn anything with Joy as his teacher.

• Love 6
On 3/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, iwantcookies said:

I wouldn’t eat anything at TTH except granola bars and stuff like that 

I cannot fathom having to breathe the air in the TTH.   Just pictures or when it's on the show all I can think of is how that place no doubt reeks.

• Love 8