Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

As far as Austin's clothing choice is concerned, from what I have seen, fundie weddings are kind of hit or miss in that respect.  Some people come dressed up, and others do not.

I also have to wonder if all 500 guests actually stayed for the meal.  It was a nice venue, so you know they weren't paying $20 a plate for the meal.  And seriously, I don't think Gil has that kind of money.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

They make suits like that for toddlers, with the flotation device built into the torso.

My son had this years ago. It’s like an inner tube around your waist with pants attached. Loved it! It looks like they put a shirt over it. 

They are strangely still my favorite couple  Austin has a career that should last him many years, and Joy seems happy and gung ho for anything. She’s all about being the pregnant barefoot gal with a drill and an RV. Plus I always kinda loved her for telling Josiah she loved him on his wedding day.  If these people love each other they sure never say it. At least on camera.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

My son had this years ago. It’s like an inner tube around your waist with pants attached. Loved it! It looks like they put a shirt over it. 

They are strangely still my favorite couple  Austin has a career that should last him many years, and Joy seems happy and gung ho for anything. She’s all about being the pregnant barefoot gal with a drill and an RV. Plus I always kinda loved her for telling Josiah she loved him on his wedding day.  If these people love each other they sure never say it. At least on camera.

Joy has bought two pairs of brown sandals for us to snark at.  Yay?

• LOL 1
21 minutes ago, louannems said:

Joy has bought two pairs of brown sandals for us to snark at.  Yay?

I wonder if they're so devoted to these because Jesus probably wore brown sandals.....

Seriously. I wouldn't put this level of "thinking" past the Duggars.

(I also think they probably figure that brown sandals, unlike, say, black or white or red sandals, are in the color that can be either dressed up or dressed down....I'm pretty sure at least some brown sandals can't be dressed up. But that's just me.)

• Love 6
6 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Hmm, now that I think about where are the sneakers? Vans? They make all kinds of cute styles and prices now. Although we have seen Jinger upgrade to cute boots. 

You are right. There are so many cute styles out there. I just bought a pair of slip on Skechers for the summer.  I'm just glad the Duggar gals have graduated from the clunky athletic type tennis shoes they wore when they were teens & a lot of Fundy women still like to wear. I'm thinking of the Maxwell women esp DIL Anna Marie who likes to wear the home made frumpers too.

• Love 1

I love Sketchers! I have them in a bunch of colors. This gal doesn’t go for walks in flip flops! I swear all the fundie men must have a foot fetish. So strange for so many women to latch onto sandals like they do in any weather or any situation. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Late to the party, but I can't help but laugh at clueless Austin and his fashion choices. I feel like a lot of men, if left to their own devices, would be likely to do the same. 😂😂😂

My dad usually dresses casually around the home, but has always, always worn a suit to church.  Every single week. Most of the men in our church do wear suits, but a lot of them dress differently when it's really hot. Not my dad! I actually admire that, because he's not trying to get attention, like Jeremy would, but because he really respects the situation. I also wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he doesn't wear a suit to work, so he doesn't mind wearing one on Sundays (he usually wears polos to work under his lab coat).

Plus, my family is on the formal side. We don't go out to eat or anything without looking decent (like a dress, or nice shirt / polo / slacks). For birthdays and something like Mother's Day, we wear some of our nicest work or church type clothes, and for thanksgiving and Easter, or a wedding, we usually buy new clothes that are really sharp. It's just kind of the culture in our family. 

So you can imagine my surprise when...

My boyfriend showed up for thanskgiving in a camo piggly wiggly shirt and jeans!!!

It was our first thanksgiving together, and I had invited him to our house. He works at a bank, and normally wore oxford type shirts, so I thought he'd dress like he normally does. He said that he was going to wear his piggly wiggly shirt and I clearly thought it was a JOKE, so I said okay! Then he shows up, when the rest of the extended family is dressed in their finest! My aunt even asked if he worked at the piggly wiggly, because she wasn't sure why he would wear the shirt otherwise! We told them what happened and everyone laughed, by my parents were still shocked! However, when I celebrated thanksgiving with his family, or any other holiday, they were super casual, so I couldn't fault that. It surprised me that some people would wear nice clothes to work, but not for thanksgiving! His family also was made up of working professionals, definitely not hillbillies, but every family has different norms, and I came to respect that!

also, another boyfriend REALLY embarrassed me with his choice of clothing. He lived in the same town as my aunt, so I was taking him to meet her. He chose to wear a t-shirt that said, "hello, my name is sexy." My aunt would not have understood that, and would have found it vulgar! It was a cheap, thin white shirt that was way too tight on him, and the top looked like a tuxedo, with a name tag. It looked like something a middle schooler would find at Spencer's and think was hilarious. On the other hand, I was wearing a flowery skirt and nice top. I laughed and informed him he wasn't wearing that, and he got SOOOO pissy!!! He started whining about how funny it was, and how I was being controlling by "making him dress up." I told him another t-shirt would be fine, but he wasn't about to visit a woman in her sixties in that getup! Suffice it to say, that relationship was very short lived. 

So it doesn't shock me that Austin doesn't have a sense of style, if dressing up isn't the norm in his family, and Joy's not the type to care, anyway. However, it seems like most people would realize they're on tv, and care about that! Hahahaha I laughed soooo hard when he wore the cap in the delivery room. Poor boy has a lot to learn!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I don’t follow those other people but that bride is simply stunning. What a great example of how to be effortlessly modest. You don’t have to Frankenstein six different dresses together to broadcast that no normal gown meets your impeccable standards. The silhouette is flattering without being provocative, and the design is cohesive, almost as though one person executed it and didn’t rip pieces off of other garments in her tacky boutique or something. 

I thought her dress was gorgeous as well. 

• Love 5
On 6/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, Christina87 said:

My dad usually dresses casually around the home, but has always, always worn a suit to church.  Every single week. Most of the men in our church do wear suits, but a lot of them dress differently when it's really hot. Not my dad! I actually admire that, because he's not trying to get attention, like Jeremy would, but because he really respects the situation. I also wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he doesn't wear a suit to work, so he doesn't mind wearing one on Sundays (he usually wears polos to work under his lab coat).

When my husband was in seminary, one of his professors expressed that very maxim: that churches whose members do not dress up for work do so for church, and vice-versa. I don't know if the man had any data to back up his claim, but it was fairly well borne out (anecdotally, of course) by the churches my spouse served over the years. The congregants in our tiny farm church--and later, those at our congregation in the old working-class area of a large city--were surprisingly spiffy on Sunday morning. Church #3, our first predominantly white-collar congregation, was actually quite formal, too, but I don't count that because they were still influenced by the legacy of a former pastor who reportedly wore a tie to mow his lawn. But when we moved on to a church packed with college professors and medical professionals, it was the first time we saw jeans on Sunday morning and sometimes shorts on Sunday night. My husband hates ties and was delighted that he wasnt expected to wear one (or even a jacket) on Sunday night! (Personally I think people should wear what they want as long as it's in good repair and not utterly tasteless. Someone else's supposed lack of respect for God's house is not for me to judge.)

• Love 12
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Portia said:

they were still influenced by the legacy of a former pastor who reportedly wore a tie to mow his lawn.

This made me laugh so hard. Reminds me of Richard Nixon wearing a suit to the beach and apparently even when he was home alone. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have an old video from the 1930's in which my grandfather is shown wearing a tie while on a fishing trip.  In the boat fishing, wearing a necktie.

He could have shared the boat with my father-in-law who wore dressier slacks, a dress shirt (with rolled up sleeves depending on the weather) & dress boots to fish & crab.  This is what he wore, no matter the occasion.  Except, unlike Austin, he would have worn a suit to a wedding. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

My grandpa was a true cowboy and kept on a Stetson and boots, but even he wore suits to weddings.  He also had dress boots for nice occasions, and casual ones he wore to ride horses.  Not one pair for all.  

I could have let Austin slide had he put on nice loafers or shoes.  The checkered shirt is a little casual, but it appeared to be a daytime wedding, so his attire, sans the dirty boots, was probably more appropriate.

• Love 6

Oh I firmly believe he wore that cap in there of his own volition, without anyone prompting him to do it. He reminds me of a lot of good old boy rednecks--some of whom I'm related to--who you'd think the cap was surgically attached to their heads because you never see them without it. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I was surprised a nurse didn't make him take it off and then I remembered it's likely a much more common sight there.  Where my parents lived in Arkansas, it was super, super relaxed as far as dress "standards" went.  I could go an entire visit there and never see a woman in heels or a man in a suit no matter where I went.  After the first trip I never packed anything dressier than cotten/linen blend capris and never felt out of place.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Very cute, but do you think that Joy or anyone wiped off that wooden handle after?

At least the diaper appeared to be clean! LOL

He is a very happy baby, though. Actually, most of the Duggar offspring, other than probably Izzy, seem pretty good-natured and laid-back. Since so many of them are within a few months of my granddaughter's age, I'm finding it interesting to compare them, and I know that my granddaughter appears to be infinitely more impatient and stubborn than they are. Which makes her quite a trial at times, as she definitely has her own mind. She's very much like my older son in temperament, but he did turn out to be exceptionally intelligent and the sort of natural leader who can take one look at a situation and figure out how best to address it, so I'm thinking that it's not altogether a bad thing. That easygoing sort of personality might be a lovely thing, but I bet it also makes it easier to raise a kid who will be just as happy to "keep sweet" and never think to question the status quo as an adult.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Joy has lost the baby at 20 weeks. It was a girl named Annabelle Elise. It’s on instagram.

Wow very sorry to hear that. Looks like it happened last week but they waited to announce. Wonder if the stress about her grandmother's passing was a factor? 😞

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, nightmeri said:

It is truly sad and I am hoping against hope that Lauren holds her tongue and doesn’t say something about “the cousins” being together in heaven. She needs to step back and be quiet 

One of my first thoughts was, "Maybe Lauren will shut up now," but yeah, probably not...

Poor Joy and Austin. I can't imagine how hard it will be for her to see all her nieces born in November.

• Love 5

Oh, I am so sorry for joy. What sad news. And probably even harder to bear with all the pregnant family members. I hope she gets lots of true loving support throughout this difficult time, and after. 

• Love 19
(edited)

What an awful loss for Joy. Being so far along and losing a baby must be so painful.  I hope she and Austin continue to comfort each other in the coming days and months, especially since there seems to be a girl boom happening in November. I also hope she punches Lauren in the face if she even attempts to make her pain comparable to what Joy is going through—but I would pray that she isn’t that self absorbed or malicious.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 8

I know it's probably too soon, but I can't help but wonder if Joy's woo diet (zero carbs to lose baby weight that she kept up even after she lost all that weight and thensome) had something to do with this? She pimped out the diet on IG a few times. Bobby Ballinger's mother (Joy's BIL through Austin's sister) was her "coach." 

Sorry, but I felt that it needed to be said.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, awaken said:

I hope she gets lots of true loving support throughout this difficult time, and after. 

Funny you mention that, considering this happened a week ago. It seems a bit tacky for Jessa to be posting Ivy pictures and Jinger to shill for Cameo on Instagram after their sister suffered such an awful tragedy. I wouldn't expect any of the family to comment before Joy said her piece, but it's odd that they're carrying on like it's business as usual. What a weird family. 

2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I know it's probably too soon, but I can't help but wonder if Joy's woo diet (zero carbs to lose baby weight that she kept up even after she lost all that weight and thensome) had something to do with this? She pimped out the diet on IG a few times. Bobby Ballinger's mother (Joy's BIL through Austin's sister) was her "coach." 

That was my first though as well, but I was too chicken to say it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11
(edited)
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Funny you say that, considering this happened a week ago. It seems a bit tacky for Jessa to be posting Ivy pictures and Jinger to shill for Cameo on Instagram after their sister suffered such an awful tragedy. I wouldn't expect any of the family to comment before Joy said her piece, but it's odd that they're carrying on like it's business as usual. What a weird family. 

Sadly, I don't expect any of them to be too supportive. Like, I think they will feel bad for her but not be an actual comfort.

My first real introduction to the Duggars, despite living in Arkansas for years, was Jill sobbing during that molestation interview while Jessa juust sat there coldly next to her. I'm not someone who usually deals with emotion very well--mine or other people's--but I was shocked she didn't even try to pat her on the shoulder or anything. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 20
26 minutes ago, nightmeri said:

It is truly sad and I am hoping against hope that Lauren holds her tongue and doesn’t say something about “the cousins” being together in heaven. She needs to step back and be quiet 

The only thing that gives a spark of hope is that Lauren Markle kept from mentioning her miscarriage directly in the anniversary post. 

Can't snark on this one. I hope they get the care they need and get actual support.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I had forgotten about this but remember it now. Was she still following it even after she got pregnant? 😞

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if she was getting any prenatal care besides woo woo midwives and Jill. Knowing this family, probably not. That picture of her and Austin is clearly at the hospital since Joy has an IV in her arm.

I know we all speculated that something "bad" was eventually going to happen to one of the women during pregnancy. I didn't think it was going to be so soon.

• Love 5