Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Is this the first time that we hear of a Duggar girl going somewhere alone?  That’s a pretty big step and, based on their belief system, is actually a nice normal gesture, probably the most mainstream thing I’ve ever seen a Duggar girl do. Who knew she was that independent?

• Love 20

Alone as in without her husband, or alone-alone? Because there are other Duggars there (Justin, obviously, and there's a picture with Anna tagged, so probably Josh is there, too, and likely others).

Definitely nice that she felt comfortable going without Austin, though, and that she wasn't forced to drag the baby with her. Although someone commented somewhere that perhaps Austin came today and Joy was just solo for the preparatory parts of the weekend?

Wasn't Joy also the one who traveled solo (well, with Carlin or one of the other Bates girls) to visit Jill in Danger America? Or did her parents go with her then?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Too bad she didn’t look this gorgeous for her own wedding.

My first thought!  She was much more out together for this wedding than her own!

I'm glad she went and had fun with friends!

fifteen bridesmaids seems excessive, but that’s just me!

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Looks like Austin was there for the wedding (and standing on Joy's dress...). Wonder if Giddy came, too, or if he stayed with Austin's family.

image.png.9de07ffa4b1367ab2def5bda9fc83f5a.png

Joy somehow looks just like Jill, Jessa, and even Jinger to me in this picture! Strange that she can look like all of them at once, but she looks gorgeous. 

Jana's monstrosity of a dress HAS to be from citrus and lemon. It also has to be the best looking thing they have. She is usually more stylish, but this is just blah, and washes her out. She must have been paid to wear it. 

Laura sure is giving credence to the lesbian rumors!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Compared to the Duggar affairs, this wedding looks so--what's the word? Ah, yes. Tasteful.

Looks like it was expensive, too. The obviously professional makeup and hair for all those women, for example!

• Love 11

Do Austin's shoes look like that because that's how suede/fleece photographs; or does he badly need new shoes?  Because those look both scuffed to high heaven and waterstained, to me.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Portia said:

Compared to the Duggar affairs, this wedding looks so--what's the word? Ah, yes. Tasteful.

Looks like it was expensive, too. The obviously professional makeup and hair for all those women, for example!

It doesn't matter how much more money or notoriety fame the Duggars have than the Bateses. You can't teach taste. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Do Austin's shoes look like that because that's how suede/fleece photographs; or does he badly need new shoes?  Because those look both scuffed to high heaven and waterstained, to me.

Old and crappy. It's a Duggar thing. Never spend money on shoes when you can wear the old ones into the ground.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Looks like Austin was there for the wedding (and standing on Joy's dress...). Wonder if Giddy came, too, or if he stayed with Austin's family.

Jana's dress is from Citrus and Lemon and she previously advertised it. Interestingly Lauren Caldwell also owns that dress. Lauren's friend Madison is a photographer and posted pictures of Lauren wearing it on Instagram. She also took the pictures of Joe and Kendra for the baby reveal. 

Austin should get his shoe off Joy's dress. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Alone as in without her husband, or alone-alone? Because there are other Duggars there (Justin, obviously, and there's a picture with Anna tagged, so probably Josh is there, too, and likely others).

Definitely nice that she felt comfortable going without Austin, though, and that she wasn't forced to drag the baby with her. Although someone commented somewhere that perhaps Austin came today and Joy was just solo for the preparatory parts of the weekend?

Wasn't Joy also the one who traveled solo (well, with Carlin or one of the other Bates girls) to visit Jill in Danger America? Or did her parents go with her then?

Of course, Joy's also the only one reported to have had a potentially serious crisis-of-faith-in-Gothardy-IFBism..... So her parents, at least, probably see all this suspicious independent travel as a sign of potential defection and a rush toward the road to Hell.

They probably spout that all-Austin's-friends-who-actually-defected-came-to-terrible-ends-at-an-early-age sermon partly to keep scaring Joy straight. 

8 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Wonder what was going on back in Atlanta when Laura was massively downplaying her whole connection with the Duggars and supposedly off to take a job not just outside the Duggardome but outside GothardWorld and Fundieland? Is she back at the TTH or just another attendee at the wedding, or what? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Joy somehow looks just like Jill, Jessa, and even Jinger to me in this picture! Strange that she can look like all of them at once, but she looks gorgeous. 

Jana's monstrosity of a dress HAS to be from citrus and lemon. It also has to be the best looking thing they have. She is usually more stylish, but this is just blah, and washes her out. She must have been paid to wear it. 

I like Jana’s dress but not for a wedding. I’d wear it as a guest of a graduation or out to lunch in the spring/summer. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I can't imagine having to walk around in Joy's dress with the extra length/train thing going on.  I give Austin a pass for stepping on it.  I'm sure the hem of that dress was filthy by the end of the day. 

It looks like the bridesmaids wore different dresses (both in color & style)  in the picture with Michaela. Is there a wedding party picture someone can post?  

Is Joy carrying twins? I can't believe how big she is already.   My son has a late October birthday so I was pregnant roughly in the same time frame she is.  I remember just starting to wear maternity pants (the kind with the elastic waist with adjustable snaps) on Memorial Day.  That year I went to a wedding in mid-June & was still able to wear a larger size non-maternity skirt & blouse I already had.  Most people could barely tell I was pregnant.  I know every pregnant woman shows & carries differently but I really hope she is getting professional medical care this time around.  At least for now she looks healthier & less bloated than she did with Giddyup.  

8 hours ago, queenanne said:

They look like his work shoes.

• Love 7

I can't figure out the color scheme either. Alyssa was in taupe, Joy and Michael were in pink and Josie wore baby blue. Maybe it will come together in the group photo, but for now it seems kind of random.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't figure out the color scheme either. Alyssa was in taupe, Joy and Michael were in pink and Josie wore baby blue. Maybe it will come together in the group photo, but for now it seems kind of random.

Totally random.

60937914_286528255569015_460030637802258

I'm going to go with the color scheme being muted pastel shades. They're tied together by being pastel colors altered by having a hint of black in each.

They may actually look pretty good together. 

But then I really liked Jingle's color scheme and most people didn't. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm going to go with the color scheme being muted pastel shades. They're tied together by being pastel colors altered by having a hint of black in each.

They may actually look pretty good together. 

But then I really liked Jingle's color scheme and most people didn't. 

I loved Jinger's color scheme as well. I'm a bit dubious about Carlin's because it appears to be several different styles of dress in addition to different colors. I can't tell if it will all come together in the end or look too mish-mashed, so I'm neutral until I see the group photo.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I loved Jinger's color scheme as well. I'm a bit dubious about Carlin's because it appears to be several different styles of dress in addition to different colors. I can't tell if it will all come together in the end or look too mish-mashed, so I'm neutral until I see the group photo.

Yeah, I agree about the apparently quite different styles making me skeptical.

Looks as if they could be so different that they'll make it so you don't even notice harmony among the colors (if the harmony I'm guessing about is there....)

Plus, I'm not a big fan of pastels or muted pastels, for the most part. Whereas I love the kind of rich tones Jingle had. So my expectations for thinking this looks nice in a group shot aren't very high.

can see the colors so far pictured working together, however, other things being equal. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Agreed. Plus, jinger's dresses looked classier and less plain. hers were dressy and fancier. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I agree about the apparently quite different styles making me skeptical.

Looks as if they could be so different that they'll make it so you don't even notice harmony among the colors (if the harmony I'm guessing about is there....)

Plus, I'm not a big fan of pastels or muted pastels, for the most part. Whereas I love the kind of rich tones Jingle had. So my expectations for thinking this looks nice in a group shot aren't very high.

can see the colors so far pictured working together, however, other things being equal. 

I saw some pics from the wedding on the Fundie Wonderland facebook page, but don't have the ambition to post them here. I'm sure someone else can do it faster than I can. The colors/styles to come together to a point. Maybe she needed that many bridesmaids just to make it seem like a theme rather than everyone just wearing somewhat similarly styles pastel gowns. It all looks a bit dusty to my eyes. And I was another who loved the jewel tones in Jinger's wedding party.

• Love 3
(edited)

It also may be hard to get the same dress with so many women in various stages of pregnancy. One of my fundie friends had her 8-month pregnant sister in the wedding party. All of the other bridesmaids wore the same dress, except the pregnant one who wore as close a dress as they could get to others. 

Chelsy Maxwell solved this problem by getting a green dress that was causual and technically a maternity dress, but worn by all. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Here...

I don't know anything about the Bates family, but to me they look a bit more normal than Duggars

The Bateses have the same awful beliefs as the Duggars, but have more mainstream, prettier packaging. That makes them more dangerous. 

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

That’s actually beautiful. It has the same effect as Jinger’s bridal party but with spring colors instead of autumn.

Yes I agree. I’m not a fan of pastels on myself (as a baby faced person I think they make me look like a school girl), but this is a very nice photo and the dresses work well together. 

• Love 6

If I were getting married nowadays, I'd choose a fall wedding, simply because jewel tones make a wedding more classy IMO.  Plus, darker colors are more slimming.

That said, I didn't and don't have that many sisters/relatives/close friends to rival that bridesmaid count.  Poor Joy got her dress stepped on by Austin, and it would have looked less stained if it had been a darker color.  I don't get making the dresses long enough to step on, either.  Klutzy as I am.

• Love 8

In a picture, all lined up around the bride the dresses blend and look okay. There's just too many styles. Sleeveless, short sleeved, three-quarter length, lace, no lace, etc. And it appears that Josie wore a different style than anyone else. Somehow they still appear classier than Jessa's bridesmaids.

If I stare at it too long it looks as though they all wore bridesmaid dresses from random previous weddings. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If I stare at it too long it looks as though they all wore bridesmaid dresses from random previous weddings. 

With as many kids the Bates have, I don't have a problem if a few of the girls can reuse bridesmaid dresses.  They and the Duggar girls are liable to have a closet full of dresses that they have only worn once and cost them a couple grand.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Good grief, let go of that belly for two seconds, Jill, um... I mean Joy. That sack was supposed to be "off-the-shoulder" and could've been kind of cute.

Jana's dress looks like it's off the Dress Barn going-out-of-business liquidation rack. Her friend's dress looks like what the nuns on Call the Midwife wear to bed.

All the shoes that are visible in that pic need to get tied onto the back of the going-away car.

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That Bates on the right looks like a Disney Princess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, drafan said:

Maybe that's what happened to Austin's shoes.  They were tied to the getaway car of a previous wedding and somehow he got them back.  You are so right about the Disney Princess look.  That girl should be working on one of their cruise ships now!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Totally random.

Is that a pregnant Josie, NOT holding her baby bump?!  Color me shocked!  A rare sighting!  

Jana looks strangely hunched over or caved in in that dress. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, awaken said:

Jana looks strangely hunched over or caved in in that dress. 

She looks like she's sagging into the floor. I can't tell if it's bad posture, a dress that's too big or a combination of both. 

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Here...

I don't know anything about the Bates family, but to me they look a bit more normal than Duggars

Yeah, they look more normal.

However, they were among the jerks who should have known better who nevertheless kept on enabling Gothard and pushing his agenda for years and years.

Now they're making themselves look more presentable. And they're certainly pretending they're very mainstream and lovely. 

But the parents are responsible for a lot of evil rot.

I suppose that, because their precious guru didn't do harm to anyone in their own family and because they've long made money off the enterprise and still do, they don't give a shit about crappy things that happened to more defenseless people and about warped messages that got shoved onto innocent but duped dumbass families and completely innocent children and troubled young people of various sorts.

But to me it's disgusting to make money by propping up an enterprise that's as sick as the Gothard mess. And it's what lurks under their prettier facade. ... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, awaken said:

Jana looks strangely hunched over or caved in in that dress

She is notorious for having bad posture! I’ve seen it for a long time now and others have pointed that out as well

8 minutes ago, Marthalord said:

She is notorious for having bad posture! I’ve seen it for a long time now and others have pointed that out as well

Bad posture and the shame of an empty uterus.

• LOL 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I have no idea who Michael Cera is, but I will go along with what you posted.

I only know him from Arrested Development, where he was the awkward teenage son of Jason Bateman but his character was one of the saner/more normal members of the family. 

They're not dead ringers for each other, but I think they look like they could be brothers. 

George Michael 1.jpg

George Michael 2.jpg

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6