Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E08: Welcome to the Urban Jungle

• Start Topic

Who was the guy years ago who made the same rose design over and over? Ven something?  He had an ego that reminds me of Erin. She's totally a one way monkey. Too interested in bedazzling the crap out of stuff and skating past the judges. We've had 2 weeks in a row where she should have been auf'd. 

Glad to see Laurance finally get the win. And I'd buy Nathelie's coat. Knew Brik was going as soon as he picked that weird fabric.

• Love 15

Let me guess - next week, Erin will make something hideous again and Heidi will once again say "as i say, one day you're in and the next day you're out' but she will still be safe because they can't let go of the one yellow coat she made seven designers ago.

Or perhaps she will be voted out, but will get the Tim Save because she deserves it after all the (hideous) work she's done. 

• Love 14

I really liked the top of the winning look but the pants were awful!  Lawrence should not have won this week.  Plus, as much as I appreciate the craftsmanship of her outfits, I am getting a little bored with the sameness. 

• Love 20

I'm questioning the talent of this group of designers. They seem to have trouble with every challenge but I thought this one would be a piece of cake for most of them.  Of course like someone said last week if they got more than a day or two to work maybe their designs would be better.

I thought Nathalia should have won but the judges love everything Laurence does and I liked her design, leather again, but the poopy pants were not well made and I hate thosedrop crotch pants.  But Heidi said she likes poopy pants so there ya go. 

Erin should have gone home. Those were the ugliest shorts I've ever seen. Marc was right, the embroidering looked like vomit and everything was not well made and uneven. Cornelius and Dexters were pretty awful too. I didn't have a problem with Brik's top but it looked weird with the striped pants. I figured he would have been Auf'ed a while  ago, he was lucky he lasted as long as he did. 

Tim might as well shelf his save for next season, no one deserves it on this one. 

• Love 8

I was watching this tonight, and I was thinking that Maya and Petie, the junior designers, could have rocked this. That had mad skills, but also an innovative sense of design...and no, they did not simply repeat the same look/technique over and over.

Not one of these adult designers is a patch on those two. Maybe the show should just can the adults, and concentrate on juniors.

As for tonights designs...are you kidding me? Laurence who made a wonderful dress last week, presented a crotch dropped pant that made the poor model look as if she were wearing droopy diapers that were long past needing to be changed. As ugly as anything I have seen on Project...and again, a leather jacket. Yeah, we get it...you can make a leather jacket.

Erin's was even worse...zero construction skills on display...and no sense of proportion in those shorts.

That said, everyone else was also determined to make some lame-ass mess, and they did succeed. 

• Love 12

Cod-piecey. I love it!  Perfect description.  Something was definitely off in the crotch area.

Relieved to see Erin in different glasses for part of the ep. Those round ones do her no favors. Did anyone notice the guy on the fashion start up show they're wildly hyping has the same ones?  Her short shiny shorts on the runway!!!

• Love 2

I actually would have swapped out Roberi for Brik and sent either him or Cornelius home. Their looks were so amatuer and sloppy. At least with Brik you could see he put time and work into it. He got the lines of the pants pretty well lined up, I just wish he would have put it with a simple black top

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, tpplay said:

Erin's totally looked like someone was sick on the runay

I was thinking during the roller coaster ride that it would be fun for PR to cause the designers to get sick and then use the vomit as their inspiration. Because I am awful. I liked the way Brik's pants worked (not the ones he was wearing!), and they were better than the Hammertimes that Laurance made. I liked her jacket when Michael Jackson wore it in Thriiller! I was also sad that what's-her-name who went home last week missed the "urban" theme by THAT much.

• Love 14

I would have sent Cornelius home.  His look didn't fit well, was poorly constructed and just plain sucked. I didn't like Brik's fabric choices but his clothing was better made than Cornelius'. I would've given the win to Nathalia.  I'd wear the jacket.  Her whole look was well made.  

Erin wasted too much time on that questionable embroidery.  It added nothing to the clothing.  The whole look was off.  

I didn't mind Roberi's.  I liked the top.  Dexter's appeared better suited for the Avant Garde challenge.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Albino said:

Don't get me wrong - I truly like Laurence.   But - another leather jacket?  

I agree. I think Laurence is very talented, but we've seen the leather jacket and drop pants from her before. I would love to see what Laurence could do with a dress. Has she made one yet?

Cornelius should be gone. At least Brik was interesting in his weird, southern way.

• Love 13

I liked Nathalia's jacket, which pains me to say because I don't like her, but hated the pants hanging off the hipbones. I feel like I could buy all of it now, though. (Although in fairness, that's usually true of any design I like on this show.)

I kind of liked Brik's design. The patterns didn't really go together, but I liked them anyway. I thought they clashed in a good way.

I wished that Laurence had maybe exaggerated the hips of her pants to go with the dropped crotch to look sort of like riding pants, but really overdone. She would probably have been dinged for making a woman's hips look bigger, though. I find it odd that Nina and Heidi are always saying how no woman wants her butt or hips to look bigger because there are women who do want them to look bigger, particularly if that makes their waists look smaller.

I might have liked Laurence's top and jacket with Brik's pants.

• Love 15

One of the worst problems with the show is that it has a tendency to reward a certain gimmick or look type until it suddenly decides not to and the designers fall into that trap of trying to design to win over the judges when the judges are nothing if not consistent in their inconsistency.

• Love 16

I would have liked Natalia's jacket more in a less heavy fabric.  I like the voluminousness of it, but it bulged out a little rather than having an easy flow to it.   Tim was right about that. 

I thought Brik should not have cut up his fabric and reconstructed it so symmetrically.  I think a more random pattern of larger shapes would have paired better with the pants.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 4

Happy BDay, AZ! Have a great time. I'd love to go but can't afford it.

Related to the ep: I actually liked Brik's print mix, but I design interiors so maybe I'm just seeing a funky chair or otto. I thought Brik long overstayed his welcome, but thought Cornelius should have been sent home tonight over Brik. I don't recall seeing Corny do anything well/worth staying for. I'm not as huge a fan of Laurence as most here and don't like Nathalia at all but thought she should have won or at least garnered a "good job" from Heidi as she was "in." Not a fan of the poopy pants either.

I don't recall most of the safe designs. I did like the material of Mah Jing's dress, but not the outfit as a whole.

And I can only imagine how tired they were going to Orlando, being in the Florida heat and crowds and then returning to work in NYC all in one day. Exhausting.

Edited to include: what the heck was that shirt Nina was wearing? It was like a cheap Model's baseball shirt mixed in with a little kid's pajama print. Hideous. If I was one of the designers I wouldn't be too upset if she didn't like my design.

Edited by kat165
because I question Nina's taste level
  • Love 11

oh dear lord. I didn't watch. Once a year I stop sailing and run a regatta for other sailors. This is that weekend. I trade off watching Project Runway on the first cranky cold, dark weekend of the year to run this regatta. But after an awesome night of regatta shenanigans, I check in to see what I missed. . . . I saw the pictures on the landing page, and stopped there. I've had many cocktails, but yet . . . I didn't even read the recap. The pictures on the landing page told me all I need to know. I repeat. . . oh dear lord. Someone tell me if I'm wrong and if I should even bother to watch . . . I'm thinking "NO." 

Who besides Heidi wants to wear penis poopy pants?!  Appartently no one on Heidi'so crew has ever heard of or seen Carole Little. I just LOVED her designs. She put together patterns that didn'the match. Her clothes were all the rage in late 80s early 90s. The zebra pants and striped top would have fit right in.

• Love 9

So now poopy pants with a penis and another leather jacket are win-worthy?  I thought Nathalia should have won this challenge. 

I didn't mind Brik's mixed prints and would have kept him over Cornelius.  If nothing else, someone could buy the pieces as separates to wear with other things.  No one would have bought either of Cornelius' pieces. 

I have no idea what Erin thought she was doing with her little pieces of string, but those shorts were just bad. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, kat165 said:

And I can only imagine how tired they were going to Orlando, being in the Florida heat and crowds and then returning to work in NYC all in one day. Exhausting.

I believe they started work the next day, if that's what you're saying.  But yeah...even with that I would have been exhausted from the hours in a plane, getting to and from the airports (even with a limo - traffic is traffic) and the heat.

And just a note, PR producers: if a designer is wearing a tshirt that you have to blur out due to endorsement issues or a celebrity declines to okay it, just ask the freakin' designer to change their freakin' shirt.  I paid so much attention trying to figure out who that was on Laurence's top I lost track of what she was actually doing.  Do Not Want to see a blur for nearly 3/4 of the whole show.  Closest I came was Kanye, who probably wanted 2 million to allow the use of his slack-jawed image.

1 hour ago, nb360 said:

I agree. I think Laurence is very talented, but we've seen the leather jacket and drop pants from her before. I would love to see what Laurence could do with a dress. Has she made one yet?

Yes...last week's spike-shouldered black dress that should have won but didn't.  I was so disturbed by her pants that I forgot about it too LOL

• Love 10

When they showed Dexter's sketch I thought, "Bless his heart. That boy cannot draw at all." Then the jacket looked exactly like that. If, as Zac suggested, that look has been all over the runway, I might have to despair of fashion altogether.

I don't, how you say, watch the show these days so much as skim until the runway. I mostly live for the live model review, with all the exclamations and fabric picking and tutting and sniffing. Sometimes literal sniffing. I'd take an hour of that along with the judges' discussions, especially when they disagree.

Loved @Sarah D. Bunting's description in the article of Laurence's "diaper-crotch fantasia." I wonder if any of the judges watch the episodes lo these many months later and ashamedly shake their heads. I try to grant them leeway for some of the garments or fabrics looking worse/shabbier in person, but I refuse to believe that SHIT-FILLED CROTCH LOOKED BETTER.

• Love 9

Albino, yeah, I did the same thing with the shirt. It took me awhile to realize that it wasn't my eyes that were blurry or that my glasses were dirty but that they were blurring it out. It was like a black shirt with weird round white blobs and only the white blobs were blurred out. It was actually kind of bizarre.

• Love 3

My DVR cut off right before Heidi someone, was Brik eliminated?

I hated Roberi’s, Erin’s, & Dexter’s outfit, loved Laurence’s jacket, but hated her pants & strangely, I didn’t hate Brik’s.

Did they fly to Orlando in the morning, spend time there, fly back that day, & start working on their designs right away? Or did I miss that they didn’t start working until the next day?

Laurence's jacket for me looked too much like Marty McFly's jacket in "Back to the Future." I'm also not sure how, according to the judges, Brik's slacks made his model's butt look awful, but Laurence's dumpy pants didn't. I haaated Laurence's pants. And also it was funny for me that they tell Brik not to admit he didn't have a full plan, yet Laurence says her pants were a mistake, and they loved it. I don't get it.

Nathalia should've won in my opinion.

I'm going to miss Brik, but he really was this year's Bradley for me. Truthfully though, I liked those pants myself. I was impressed that he lined the pattern up on them so nicely, too. Bye Brik.

Don't know who I'm going to root for now. I'm not really liking Laurence's aesthetic anymore, and I never did like Erin's, so...

• Love 5

Erin should have gone home for that coughed-up nuclear waste hairball shitshow.  Not one single thing was good about it.  Not one.   Poor Brik, at least he tried to construct his garment, unlike Erin.

Okay, Laurence can do leather jackets.  I'm getting bored.  She had better challenge herself not to use leather next week.

I want Nathalia's jacket. I would rather Laurence have won last week and Nathalia win this time.

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, GaT said:

My DVR cut off right before Heidi someone, was Brik eliminated?

Did they fly to Orlando in the morning, spend time there, fly back that day, & start working on their designs right away? Or did I miss that they didn’t start working until the next day?

Yes, Brik was auffed.  

I'm sure their day in Orlando and their day back in NY were two different days.  I noticed the clock read 2:30 PM when they were back in the work room starting their designs, and they had already been to Mood, so I'm sure the Orlando park stuff and all the flying back and forth happened the day earlier.

• Love 2

I went back to check, that was only Laurence's second leather coat--the other was in the team challenge.  She has used that slit in the back with a pop of color in other outfits besides coats though which may be why there is a bit of a feeling of sameness.  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Yes, Brik was auffed.  

I'm sure their day in Orlando and their day back in NY were two different days.  I noticed the clock read 2:30 PM when they were back in the work room starting their designs, and they had already been to Mood, so I'm sure the Orlando park stuff and all the flying back and forth happened the day earlier.

Thanks!

• Love 1

It is possible to mix prints that don't match, but Brik's real problem is that he doesn't understand scale: scale of his prints and mixing the scale of his garments so that his prints work a little better with each other. Both of the prints he used for the top and bottom were roughly the same scale and had about a 24 inch repeat. One of them should have been much smaller. The other thing that could have worked is if the zebra like print was used for a pencil skirt or a short body con jersey dress and the top fabric was used to make an oversized dolman jacket like Nathalia's.

I don't why they just didn't use gaffers tape on Laurence's t-shirt or pinned some black fabric over the print that was either offensive or couldn't get clearances to show or just made her wear the shirt inside out.

• Love 12

Natalia should have won. Lawrence's pants crotch was mangled.  Cornelius's top was mangled. Erin's outfit was one of the worst sown, poorly designed,  and most uninspired things I've ever seen. Brik's look would have been ok paired with other pieces. Dexter's jacket was hideous, but I couldn't see the fit issues that the judges were complaining about on the shorts--in fact, other than needing hemming at the bottom, I thought that they were cute.

• Love 3

In my head I was hearing Michael Kors, "That croooootch is outrageous!"

The pants Cornelius made were one of the worst things I have ever seen on this show.  For  me, this was just a bad runway all around.  I wouldn't have been surprised if they announced there was no winner.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

They should have done a double elimination.

Make it a triple.  All three should have been thrown out of the building. 

11 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

In my head I was hearing Michael Kors, "That croooootch is outrageous!"

I kinda miss the Great Pumpkin.  

• Love 8

I love me some Dexter but had to chuckle when he described himself as outside of the box and Heidi and Zac were all like, meh not so much lol. These are people who have worked in the fashion industry for decades and have come across their fair share of special snowflakes. You and your septum piercing, hoods, and platform boots are just pedestrian to them. Dexter, sweetie, you're from Oakland. Every other person walking down the street is as "outside the box" as you are and beyond. Ah...kids today. 

• Love 23

As soon as Zac (whom I loathe) said he questioned Brik's "taste level" I knew he was toast.  Shoddy construction is fine, poopy pants are fine, vomit shorts are fine...but taste that isn't Zac's taste?  Bye bye.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, kat165 said:

Thank you, I was just about to make the same observation. They get up, go to the studio, are told to get a flight to Florida, have to get clothes, schelp to some NY airport, catch the flight, do the park (or some part of it) schlep to another airport, fly back then hit Mood. All while already being sleep deprived. And then have to make whatever in yet another one day challenge.

Seriously? Talk about loading the dice. I get that this isn't really a design competition any more but just another BS quasi-reality show, but...c'mon.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, lordonia said:

I don't, how you say, watch the show these days so much as skim until the runway. I mostly live for the live model review, with all the exclamations and fabric picking and tutting and sniffing. Sometimes literal sniffing. I'd take an hour of that along with the judges' discussions, especially when they disagree.

and that's the part I don't like for the same reasons.

7 hours ago, bookrat said:

Who besides Heidi wants to wear penis poopy pants?!  Appartently no one on Heidi'so crew has ever heard of or seen Carole Little. I just LOVED her designs. She put together patterns that didn'the match. Her clothes were all the rage in late 80s early 90s. The zebra pants and striped top would have fit right in.

Loved too! Plus she cut many of her dresses on the bias to they flowed beautifully. That costs more and takes skill so sadly no one does it anymore. She also did lots of appliques and embroidery so sorry judges and Erin that's not new.

• Love 2