Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jill took the boys yesterday to court to see “a little more” of Derick’s job. What part of his job have they seen before? If he’s not in court he’s at the office. Jill forgot to add ambiguity that would make a case that she’s homeschooling or they boys go to public school. It would be nice if she made the connection between Derick’s education and his ability to become a lawyer, then offer the same to her children. Nah, too much thinking involved.

Edited by SMama
  • Like 11
  • Sad 7

Successful students are generally curious about the world around them. Michelle and JB did not reward curiosity; in fact, they actively discouraged it. Why would Jill be interested in spending time and effort to learn about history, biology, philosophy, literature and other college subjects? 

I think it must be hard for a person with less than a high school education to be married to someone with a doctorate. Unless Jill doesn't think beyond her role as a Christian helpmeet and mother, at times she must feel like an outsider to the life Derick leads. Maybe she needed to inflate her "medical" credentials to look more accomplished, especially if she is homeschooling the kids. 

• Like 18

She posted a picture a picture of all three kids at the courthouse, having gone to visit Derick at work.

I don't know what time the local school lets out, so it's possible that she took them right after school, but I'm putting this in the "Proof that Jill is homeschooling" column.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

I don't know about other kids, but I remember loving getting to go to the library after school.  Maybe I was just a weird kid. In this case it sounds like there was some sort of activity, so they may be good with it even if they were in public school.  Who know with Jill, though.

• Like 10
  • Love 6
(edited)
42 minutes ago, lascuba said:

She posted a picture a picture of all three kids at the courthouse, having gone to visit Derick at work.

I don't know what time the local school lets out, so it's possible that she took them right after school, but I'm putting this in the "Proof that Jill is homeschooling" column.

In the insta story she said it was afternoon

Regarding yesterday, saying they went somewhere after school to me makes sense only if the school is not at home

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

I don't know about other kids, but I remember loving getting to go to the library after school.  Maybe I was just a weird kid. In this case it sounds like there was some sort of activity, so they may be good with it even if they were in public school.  Who know with Jill, though.

None of my kids ever objected to going to a library right after school as long as they had a snack on the way.  I expect Jill's kids look forward to any outing outside the house especially if she is homeschooling.  Jill has seemed one of the more social Duggars, but that doesn't necessarily mean she approaches normal socialization levels.  By second grade many kids have not only classroom socialization, but also after school classes, clubs, or sports teams.  Most of the young elementary kids I know have at least one athletic activity, one class, and something else like a church group or class or Girl Scouts.  The Dillards have sometime swimming classes and library trips with church on Sunday?  

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I think it must be hard for a person with less than a high school education to be married to someone with a doctorate.

Cough - Jinger!

1 hour ago, Meow Mix said:

Same. I was obsessed with the library and books. One of my elementary schools actually tried to stop me from using it so often because I had already read everything there but my mom intervened and said NO, lol. I loved checking out stacks of books from the public library, too. Hopefully Israel and Sam both develop a real love for reading. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 16

Jill said she and the boys visited the courthouse, went for a walk, played at a park and did some shopping.

They live a half hour from the courthouse, so if the boys attend public school they wouldn't get to Stilwell until 3:30 or later. Either they had very short visits at each place, before it got dark and they were hungry for dinner, or they went earlier.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill said she and the boys visited the courthouse, went for a walk, played at a park and did some shopping.

They live a half hour from the courthouse, so if the boys attend public school they wouldn't get to Stilwell until 3:30 or later. Either they had very short visits at each place, before it got dark and they were hungry for dinner, or they went earlier.

Shopping could mean at the mall and eating there also. After dark.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

Just a thought - it is possible the boys are enrolled in their districts virtual school program. Public school education and home all day.

Is that available to them? In my very liberal area it is only available for high school students. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SMama said:

Is that available to them? In my very liberal area it is only available for high school students. 

If they are in the Siloam Springs school district it seems to be an option k-12.

Quite a few school districts in my area offer a virtual option for all grades. My grands live in a fairly rural area and had the virtual option in both their old and new school district last fall.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
On 3/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, Zella said:

I doubt they lucked out so much as she actually homeschooled them and properly prepared them. I'm not saying all homeschooling is bad or that all homeschooled students are doomed to fail. As I said, I was homeschooled, and I ultimately earned a master's degree and maintained a 4.0 GPA the whole way through my academic career. If anybody knows that homeschoolers can succeed in higher ed, it's me. What I am saying is some homeschool parents do a terrible job of setting their kids up for success, and the Duggars most certainly fall in that category. 

I read Ree had tutors for her kids.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Shopping could mean at the mall and eating there also. After dark.

Possibly, but Jill said she found a boutique and one of her hashtags was #smalltownvibes, so I don't think they were in a mall.

• Like 3

I was thinking the same about the virtual academy being a possibility for school but still allowing some of the flexible hours we've observed.  Especially since that school district has different physical schools for preK-K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 and 9-12, which would make getting multiple kids to school a bit of a challenge for a parent new to the area who hasn't built up that community of other parents that can share the load of getting kids to multiple locations on a daily basis. 

Growing up we had a less distributed case of the split schools (K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12) but they paired the schools so the two younger ones shared buses as did the two older ones.  The older of each pair started/ended 15 minutes later than the younger to allow the bus to serve both schools with a single pickup/drop off route.  I have no idea if this location does something similar so that she only would have to wrangle her kids onto a single bus or if she'd have to manage two bus stops/schedules.   Either way I don't think Jill has any experience with school buses so she may have only been looking at her hubby having a less flexible schedule making him less able to help with morning and afternoon routines, thus having to drive her kids to and from two different schools while wrangling a baby and not even seriously considered using the bus.

For the sake of the kids, I hope she is able make some friends amongst the other school parents in her neighborhood to help with scheduling and get them back into physical school next year.  They are getting some socialization with the library activities at least, but the more exposure they get to people with different backgrounds without their parents in the room with them, the better.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, peppergal said:

I was thinking the same about the virtual academy being a possibility for school but still allowing some of the flexible hours we've observed.  Especially since that school district has different physical schools for preK-K, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 and 9-12, which would make getting multiple kids to school a bit of a challenge for a parent new to the area who hasn't built up that community of other parents that can share the load of getting kids to multiple locations on a daily basis. 

Growing up we had a less distributed case of the split schools (K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12) but they paired the schools so the two younger ones shared buses as did the two older ones.  The older of each pair started/ended 15 minutes later than the younger to allow the bus to serve both schools with a single pickup/drop off route.  I have no idea if this location does something similar so that she only would have to wrangle her kids onto a single bus or if she'd have to manage two bus stops/schedules.   Either way I don't think Jill has any experience with school buses so she may have only been looking at her hubby having a less flexible schedule making him less able to help with morning and afternoon routines, thus having to drive her kids to and from two different schools while wrangling a baby and not even seriously considered using the bus.

For the sake of the kids, I hope she is able make some friends amongst the other school parents in her neighborhood to help with scheduling and get them back into physical school next year.  They are getting some socialization with the library activities at least, but the more exposure they get to people with different backgrounds without their parents in the room with them, the better.

It looks like they'll be in different schools until high school. I omitted the names of the schools. They do have remote learning. Its a combo of online classroom and independent work.

Virtual Grades Kindergarten - 6: Students will be expected to follow a daily schedule for
the first ten days of each semester in order to ensure student engagement, to
build collaboration, to develop relationships with the teacher as well as with
fellow classmates, and to maximize student learning. After the initial 10 days of
synchronous learning, students will be required to maintain pace in the
curriculum and to attend weekly check-ins with the teacher in order to work on
a flexible, independent schedule. Teachers will monitor student coursework,
provide feedback, and offer reteaching opportunities.

image.thumb.png.1aea38c8fb95f4c43e7b19f94f10f4b0.png

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

Both kids are wearing a watch. I haven’t worn a watch in years.

They seem to like watches in that family. Spurgeon and Henry wear theirs even in the house (it’s not like they go out often). Gideon got a watch as a present for his fifth birthday. Maybe it’s a sign of being “grown up” for them? I’m waiting to see if Ivy will also be getting a watch. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

So how does this work? Jill takes a picture and says, smile, lets send a pic to grandma and daddy. Then she says, look away, so I can post you on SM?

image.thumb.png.31da3575490b9942fda060bfe2d2effe.png

It's kind of like this generation's version of "Nike".

• LOL 8
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

Or the opposite of.

Nike was more avert your eyes so you don't see boobs. Now its avert your faces so the camera/SM doesn't see you.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, SMama said:

They seem to like watches in that family. Spurgeon and Henry wear theirs even in the house (it’s not like they go out often). Gideon got a watch as a present for his fifth birthday. Maybe it’s a sign of being “grown up” for them? I’m waiting to see if Ivy will also be getting a watch. 

Maybe because Bin admitted he couldn’t tell time on an analog clock and they want to make sure the same doesn’t happen to their kids? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
3 minutes ago, jacourt said:

My grandkids all asked for watches for Christmas.  They think its cool and grownup.  But with this family being on time means nothing.

Any watch in particular?

50 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I can see Jill using the "Obedience Game" to get these pics. Randomly saying "look at the wall" and they have been trained to obey without question.☹️

• Sad 12

I do not believe criminal court is any place for small children.   Or really any court.  You have to sit still and be quiet for long periods of time.   Also a LOT of things are said that kids should not hear.   I know in my courthouse, kids are NOT allowed in the courtroom.   

As for the homeschool debate, I really hope they are in virtual school.   Jill does not have the knowledge to teach her kids.   Remember when they found out it would take so much work for Jill to even be up to beginning her studies to be a missionary?   They simply did not receive the education they needed to be functioning members of society -- and their parents were quite fine with that since it kept them under JB's control.    Who cares if you can pronounce perpendicular if you have no clue what it means or how to apply the concept?

• Like 18

Hopefully visiting daddy at work meant dropping by the courthouse to see him at the very end of court for the day and it was mostly or all in his office.  I doubt Jill is making the boys sit through long court sessions especially since she also has an infant with her.  

• Like 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Both kids are wearing a watch. I haven’t worn a watch in years.

My dad wore a watch up until the day he died. He never went without one. His last one was a cheapie one but I have a Bulova his workplace gave him for like 25 years of service or something like that. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

As for the homeschool debate, I really hope they are in virtual school.   Jill does not have the knowledge to teach her kids.  

If she's anything like some of the elementary ed majors in the colleges I've taught at, she probably thinks as long as she knows more than the kids do, she can teach just fine--and hey, she has a diploma from Duggar Academy and (maybe) a GED!  (Elementary ed majors tend to make up much of the lower-achieving students, in my experience)

Edited by Fosca
  • Sad 1

My older daughter started wearing a watch when she was about Izzy's age.  My younger daughter didn't start until she was around 16.  My older daughter just liked knowing what time it was, so it was easier to get her a cheap watch.  As they grew up the watches got nicer.  I had a watch in elementary school, so it doesn't seem weird to me.  It's a good way to give kids some structure to their days.  Maybe it's the husbands' subtle way to get their wives off "Duggar  Time."

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6

In our family, watches were given for special occasions.  I still have my aunt's Confirmation watch from the early 1920's.  I have my Confirmation watch, but the face is so small I don't wear it.  I think it is great that Jill's boys can tell time and like wearing a watch.  As mentioned in a post above, maybe they will learn that the world does not exist on Duggar Time.

• Like 12
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

My dad wore a watch up until the day he died. He never went without one. His last one was a cheapie one but I have a Bulova his workplace gave him for like 25 years of service or something like that. 

One of the best gifts I ever bought my dad when he was dying of Alzheimer's and had vision issues was a talking watch that reset itself when the time changed and told him what day and time it was when he pushed the button. Didn't stop him from asking me what time it was and fact-checking me every time I answered by pushing his watch button but if it kept him entertained it was fine by me. Sorry for going OT.

5 hours ago, anyasmom said:

My older daughter started wearing a watch when she was about Izzy's age.  My younger daughter didn't start until she was around 16.  My older daughter just liked knowing what time it was, so it was easier to get her a cheap watch.  As they grew up the watches got nicer.  I had a watch in elementary school, so it doesn't seem weird to me.  It's a good way to give kids some structure to their days.  Maybe it's the husbands' subtle way to get their wives off "Duggar  Time."

Agreed. I wore a watch when I was a kid and vividly remember being deeply offended when some strange woman at a drugstore asked, "little girl, what time is it?" because clearly I was not a little girl! I was wearing a watch!

I hope Izzy and Sam have some of that self-esteem from their watches.

• Like 13
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Those both look like digital watches. 

You don't learn to tell time with those, you learn to READ time.  Big difference in digital and analog. 

Like Velcro shoes don't teach you how to tie your laces.   

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am a proponent of being able to tell time on an analog clock and retain the ability to read/write in cursive. These are basic skills and should not be lost. A 60 second round clock helps a person learn how to tell and judge time. Cursive is just part of being LITERATE. Way too much fluff is being "taught" to students instead of good, basic skills. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 7
  • Love 4

All the schools in my area still have big ole analog clocks hanging in every classroom.

My kids - born in the 80s - had watches when they were little, analog and then digital. We've also always had and still have an analog clock in our kitchen - so yup, the stove, the microwave and the clock, lol.

Until a kid is old enough for a phone I think watches are 'needed'. I'm guessing a homeschooled kids might even need it more if they're off doing their work independently, and not on a computer.

Hopefully the Dillard boys and the Seewald kids will all know how to tell time.

• Like 10
34 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I am a proponent of being able to tell time on an analog clock and retain the ability to read/write in cursive. These are basic skills and should not be lost. A 60 second round clock helps a person learn how to tell and judge time. Cursive is just part of being LITERATE. Way too much fluff is being "taught" to students instead of good, basic skills. 

YES!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My grands are: one in law school, one in college, one in 8th grade.  I'm not sure any of them can tell analog time although they all had watches when they were younger.  None of them can write cursive.  None of them are home schooled.  Daughter in law is a teacher and is horrified that cursive isn't taught anymore.  But home schooling that was something she didn't take on.  Nor did my son. Nor did I.  None of their peers are any better.  I guess "somebody ought to do something" translates into which of us is going to do it.  Not me.  I can write cursive and I'm old!  I wonder if the Dillard children or Seewald children are taught about analog time?  Or will they ever learn cursive?  It would take up a lot of time to practice it, which might serve the parents' purpose.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Wasn't the pic of Izzy practicing handwriting on the window showing him writing cursive with a dry erase marker?

My 3 older grands have each showed interest in cursive around 2nd grade, so they each got a learn/practice cursive workbook and taught themselves.

One taught himself to tell analog time at 3 1/2. We did not really believe him until we were at Disney, where they have a lot of large clocks. He kept us all informed on what time it was all day, everyday. When asked how he learned he said there was a clock at the gym childcare he liked to play with and "it showed him how time worked"

None of them are able to really tie their shoes though......

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I do not understand the obsession with cursive. I learned it in school and have never used it since. It carries no additional writing advantage over printing. I care that the Dillard kids learn to read and write. Why on earth should it matter if it's cursive? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

I do not understand the obsession with cursive. I learned it in school and have never used it since. It carries no additional writing advantage over printing. I care that the Dillard kids learn to read and write. Why on earth should it matter if it's cursive? 

Here is just one article. There are Of course differing opinions. Some schools don't teach keyboarding either https://www.nea.org/advocating-for-change/new-from-nea/great-cursive-writing-debate

• Useful 1