Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I don't think Jill and Derick are the perfect dog parents, but I also don't think it's time to call pet patrol. Fenna appears to be a well cared-for, well-fed dog. She is not living outside in the extremities. Considering she was a shelter dog I think she's doing well.

• Like 17

Yes, I didn't catch Fenna in the background, thank you @ginger90.

After seeing the way Fenna behaved in the house and how she behaves outside, I'm going to guess she spends most of her time in the garage or outside.

Maybe I'm guilty of doting on my granddog, who lives with us, but I see Fenna's life as sad.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, SMama said:

I really like the snowman. That’s not a snowman for the Gram, it’s about two kids excited about the first snow of the season and its scarceness did not put a damp on their enthusiasm. Good for Derick for joining the fun. 

I agree. It seems like SM has replaced family albums where pics like this belong. I'm referring more to the pic I saw of Derick making a snow angel and wearing only shorts and flip flops. I don't need to see that much of Derick!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

I like the snowman too.  I grew up in middle Tennessee and never had a pretty snow white snowman when I was growing up.  Mine were about half the size of the Dillard's and always had dirt and twigs attached.

Fenna's expression reminds me of one of my dogs.."Nope I'm not getting out into that snow.   It's cold and it's wet."  Hopefully the kids will get her out into the yard and wanting to play.  

• Like 8
15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember making at least one snowman that looked like that. We were so excited to be out there playing that it was a snow/mudman

I just noticed that Derick is wearing sandals...in the snow!  WTF!

• LOL 8
20 minutes ago, SMama said:

Maybe it wasn’t that cold for him? 🤷‍♀️

Some people are like that. I remember wearing a windbreaker all winter when I was much younger. And I live in the midwest where it gets COLD! 

• Like 6

We did have a pretty good snowstorm here--I got a foot and lost power for a day and a half--but it wasn't that cold. It stayed in the 20s. I personally wouldn't venture out there in flip flops, but I don't think it would be unbearable if someone did for a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Sammy didn't have a coat on, but Izzy did. I wondered about Derick's flip-flops too.

I would guess people have different tolerances of cold.  When we visit Older Son and family in the PNW we can tell the "locals" on the plane.  We are bundled up and they are wearing tank tops and flip flops!  I swear the family doesn't get cold while we are freezing.  Maybe Derick and Sam share the same body types.

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, Zella said:

but it wasn't that cold. It stayed in the 20s.

What?  That's brrrrr cold to me.  Living in the south for all my life (going on seven decades), I've rarely seen it even get down that far.  To me, a temp in the 60s is sweater weather. 😁

The snowman's cute, even with the twigs, etc. in it.  

Yeah, I noticed Derick's sandals.  It must have been warmer that day than it looked.

20 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

What?  That's brrrrr cold to me.  Living in the south for all my life (going on seven decades), I've rarely seen it even get down that far.  To me, a temp in the 60s is sweater weather. 😁

The snowman's cute, even with the twigs, etc. in it.  

Yeah, I noticed Derick's sandals.  It must have been warmer that day than it looked.

I know what temps everyone is used to varies by location, but here in NWA, 20s are a pretty standard temperature for winter, and compared to the -20 windchill we had about a month ago, it's really not that bad. He got the same snowstorm and temps I did. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2

In the 20s, yikes! We have what I consider long winters, most days are somewhere in the 30s, with 20s overnight and/or daytime 20s sprinkled throughout the months. Even skiing in the 20s no one wears short sleeves and no ones walks around in flip flops unless its in the 40s, with dry ground (yup they do).

Sunny 20s, with no wind is certainly tolerable - with a coat and shoes. Sammy and Derick were definitely cold.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In the 20s, yikes! We have what I consider long winters, most days are somewhere in the 30s, with 20s overnight and/or daytime 20s sprinkled throughout the months. Even skiing in the 20s no one wears short sleeves and no ones walks around in flip flops unless its in the 40s, with dry ground (yup they do).

Sunny 20s, with no wind is certainly tolerable - with a coat and shoes. Sammy and Derick were definitely cold.

And DWreck FUed Jill's followers who were complaining about his flip flops by coming out later in those awful short shorts doing snow angels. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I would guess people have different tolerances of cold.  When we visit Older Son and family in the PNW we can tell the "locals" on the plane.  We are bundled up and they are wearing tank tops and flip flops!  I swear the family doesn't get cold while we are freezing.  Maybe Derick and Sam share the same body types.

If it should happen to rain a few drops in California during the summer, you see people wearing their winter coats--complete with hoods--and  carrying umbrellas.  It can be 90 degrees, but rain, no matter how little, means winter, so it must be cold.  I agree that different people have different temperature tolerances.  That being said, I still would't play in the snow in flip flops.  I just hope the kids have a choice of shoes and clothing available, and they are not expected to go out in the snow underdressed,

• Like 6
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Some people are like that. I remember wearing a windbreaker all winter when I was much younger. And I live in the midwest where it gets COLD! 

Along with those guys who insist on wearing shorts whenever possible.  A neighbor always wears shorts (and sandals) unless he's going outside in the winter.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

If it should happen to rain a few drops in California during the summer, you see people wearing their winter coats--complete with hoods--and  carrying umbrellas.  It can be 90 degrees, but rain, no matter how little, means winter, so it must be cold.  I agree that different people have different temperature tolerances.  That being said, I still would't play in the snow in flip flops.  I just hope the kids have a choice of shoes and clothing available, and they are not expected to go out in the snow underdressed,

I would not be that surprised if it was a Rodrigues child but I honestly don't think Jill or Derick would say "Israel you have and can wear a coat but Sam we don't have one for you and besides we wouldn't let you anyway because you are punished".  He probably didn't want to wear one at least yet and they didn't make an issue of it. 

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't believe for a minute Derick was out there for longer than the photo op. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I could understand just the temperature for a brief time, but walking through the snow would be miserable to me.  There's no way there would not have been contact between bare skin and snow. 

• Like 6
Just now, Suzn said:

I could understand just the temperature for a brief time, but walking through the snow would be miserable to me.  There's no way there would not have been contact between bare skin and snow. 

Oh I wouldn't either. I am not saying it's bright to go out in snow in flip flops. I'm just saying that I don't find it unfathomable that some idiot like Derick trounced out there to have his picture taken, and all things considered, doing it in this snow storm rather than the one we had a month ago where the temps were will below 0 would make more sense. Or as much sense as it's going to make. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I do picture derick boasting he could do a snow angel in shorts and no shirt and the boys sorting of daring him or cheering him on to do it.

We have a neighbor about Derrick's age. He always shovels snow in shorts, a hoodie and wearing sneakers or sandals. No hat or gloves.

The first time i met him was when we had gotten about 7" of snow and I walked over to meet him and offer use of our ancient snowblower. He was like thanks, but I'm content shoveling.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
10 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I do picture derick boasting he could do a snow angel in shorts and no shirt

Based on what we know about Derick's personality, I can totally buy him running out there to have his picture taken for the sole purpose of posting it on social media and provoking a reaction from people. I am sure he thought this was an incredible flash of genius and quite inspired trolling. What I'm saying is he needs real hobbies. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • LOL 13
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And DWreck FUed Jill's followers who were complaining about his flip flops by coming out later in those awful short shorts doing snow angels. 

I would so do the exact same thing 🤣.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
16 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would not be that surprised if it was a Rodrigues child but I honestly don't think Jill or Derick would say "Israel you have and can wear a coat but Sam we don't have one for you and besides we wouldn't let you anyway because you are punished".  He probably didn't want to wear one at least yet and they didn't make an issue of it. 

If you're in a very warm building the first few minutes in the cold can feel great. Then you start to feel it and put a coat on or zip up the one you're wearing.

Edited by Dehumidifier

I am a cold blooded person who lives in a place where it's cold most of the year. Sometimes I see people outside this time of year and think they are living on a different planet than me because I would be miserable without CLOTHES ON. I understand as an adult that other adults know whether they are hot or cold, but no way would I allow a CHILD Sam or Izzy's age outside without a proper coat, hat, gloves and BOOTS (with warm socks) if there was snow on the ground. IF they were teens or pre-teens, I would let them decide, and if they suffered they would learn to dress appropriately. (I hear my Mom's voice coming out now!) But they are still too little. 

Also, in my cultural group, being outside not properly dressed for winter, it's assumed you are living in poverty and just don't HAVE warm things, especially if you are a child. I know this isn't the case for the Dillard boys, I do believe Jill and Derrick would buy them proper winter gear (or any other type of clothing) they needed. 

On the flip side, Im never hot. It's 85 degrees and humid and my skin and hair is like "YAAAASSS QUEEN", humans are different. I know if I am hot everyone else is DYING. 

• Like 9
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am a cold blooded person who lives in a place where it's cold most of the year. Sometimes I see people outside this time of year and think they are living on a different planet than me because I would be miserable without CLOTHES ON. I understand as an adult that other adults know whether they are hot or cold, but no way would I allow a CHILD Sam or Izzy's age outside without a proper coat, hat, gloves and BOOTS (with warm socks) if there was snow on the ground. IF they were teens or pre-teens, I would let them decide, and if they suffered they would learn to dress appropriately. (I hear my Mom's voice coming out now!) But they are still too little. 

Also, in my cultural group, being outside not properly dressed for winter, it's assumed you are living in poverty and just don't HAVE warm things, especially if you are a child. I know this isn't the case for the Dillard boys, I do believe Jill and Derrick would buy them proper winter gear (or any other type of clothing) they needed. 

On the flip side, Im never hot. It's 85 degrees and humid and my skin and hair is like "YAAAASSS QUEEN", humans are different. I know if I am hot everyone else is DYING. 

We are all different. Sweet son's older brother didn't want to wear his coat, hat or gloves at recess in kindergarten in winter in Northern California winter. Sweet Son and I stayed bundled up. The  teachers insisted I allow them to "force" him to wear these items or take him to the doctor. Which I did. Blood work drawn. All normal. Doctor said let him be. He will know when he is cold. I couldn't in good conscience force him because he was miserable or because it didn't look right to others. He is grown up and lives in the PNW and still rarely wears a coat in winter. Sometimes it is not bad or neglectful parenting and some issues are not worth fighting. Maybe Sam and Derick aren't cold enough or will get a coat later. 

edited to add that oldest grandson (who is in first year law school) told his parents in high school not to get him a winter jacket because he didn't need it and wouldn't wear it. In the PNW

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

We are all different. Sweet son's older brother didn't want to wear his coat, hat or gloves at recess in kindergarten in winter in Northern California winter. Sweet Son and I stayed bundled up. The  teachers insisted I allow them to "force" him to wear these items or take him to the doctor. Which I did. Blood work drawn. All normal. Doctor said let him be. He will know when he is cold. I couldn't in good conscience force him because he was miserable or because it didn't look right to others. He is grown up and lives in the PNW and still rarely wears a coat in winter. Sometimes it is not bad or neglectful parenting and some issues are not worth fighting. Maybe Sam and Derick aren't cold enough or will get a coat later. 

edited to add that oldest grandson (who is in first year law school) told his parents in high school not to get him a winter jacket because he didn't need it and wouldn't wear it. In the PNW

Taking my reply to small talk. 

On 1/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, Lady Jane said:

In 25 years of practice, I've never seen a spouse come to the office for a meal. I've seen spouses drop off take-out (before UberEats etc) but not ever in the office. "These days" there's less than absolutely no reason to work late, unless you prefer the solitude of an empty office. Everything is online, all files and filings are digital, etc. I am going to be generous and assume that the "office" space in their home is where Derwood works if he has to work late. I would absolutely side-eye a spouse having a meal in the break room or the attorney's office. (No shade meant to you at all @MaryAnneSpier, 100% at J&D!) Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a lawyer eat in the break room, either. If you're working late and eating, you're at your desk multitasking so you can actually go home eventually. Whole thing is peculiar to me.

ETA: He's practicing in OK, right? As of Nov 2022 ADA salary in OK was $60,417. It is set by statute. Just for figurin' purposes for all you mathers out there

WOW!  I am surprised it isn't higher.

36 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Idk why but I had this anxiety dream last night of Fenna being dognapped. I guess I've been reading more and more cases of celebrity dogs being kidnapped and held for ransom.

I think any dognappers would have their hands full with Fenna, a stranger coming into her territory, and with her DNA of part German Shepherd and Dobie she would likely be territorial and protective of her family.  Dognappers beware!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Depending on the area of the country, that's a good wage. Just saying. 

Yeah that would actually be a really good income where I am and is substantially more than "well paid" jobs offer locally. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

When my husband started his career back in 1982, the Public Defender's Office paid him $17,000 per year. Wow, have things changed. The State's Attorney's Office (like Derick is in) wasn't paying much more; only a couple of thousand a year difference. They had a larger budget. That is a great starting salary for a person right out of law school right now who isn't in the private sector.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah that would actually be a really good income where I am and is substantially more than "well paid" jobs offer locally. 🤷‍♀️

Crazy.  I just assumed that with that much schooling it would be higher.  But then again I live in a city where a 1 bedroom apt is around $3K/month (just saw one for $2750).  The pay where I work is pretty low for the cost of the area.  Jobs that paid $25/hour 15 years ago still do.  Most ranges are $25-$29/hr.  And you are barely making it if at all.  HUGE problem here.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Crazy.  I just assumed that with that much schooling it would be higher.  But then again I live in a city where a 1 bedroom apt is around $3K/month (just saw one for $2750).  The pay where I work is pretty low for the cost of the area.  Jobs that paid $25/hour 15 years ago still do.  Most ranges are $25-$29/hr.  And you are barely making it if at all.  HUGE problem here.  

I think the cost of living and housing prices can vary so much by area that what is a very low-paying job for one place is a very lucrative one somewhere else. 

I have a friend who lives in the Bay Area and she makes way more money annually than anyone else I know. She's told me she's already accepted she will never afford a home where she lives because its just completely out of her reach. The full price of a nice house here is her annual salary. So, she could easily afford a down payment and mortgage here. But she'd never make that money here either. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

60k a year isn't a lot for a family of 5.  I guess it depends on how much Jill brings in with her online ads.  They could possibly qualify for some tuition assistance.  I think the cutoff for assistance where I live is around 70k/yr.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, anyasmom said:

60k a year isn't a lot for a family of 5.  I guess it depends on how much Jill brings in with her online ads.  They could possibly qualify for some tuition assistance.  I think the cutoff for assistance where I live is around 70k/yr.

That's true. I wasn't thinking about it in terms of supporting a family of five. I was thinking of it in terms of just a salary itself. For this area, it's considered good on it's own. For a family of 5, they're still eligible for ARKids insurance, and it certainly wouldn't go quite as far as it would if it were being supplemented by the spouse's wages. 

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's true. I wasn't thinking about it in terms of supporting a family of five. I was thinking of it in terms of just a salary itself. For this area, it's considered good on it's own. For a family of 5, they're still eligible for ARKids insurance, and it certainly wouldn't go quite as far as it would if it were being supplemented by the spouse's wages. 

So an attorney might qualify for aid.  That is nuts.  I do know some staff where I work are homeless.  They just cannot afford to live here.  Many students are as well.  All this tells me is pay and living expenses are WAY out of line everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1

I think his starting salary will go up appreciably as long as he performs well. That's how it worked for engineers at my previous employer (retired now). With Jill's influencer money, they probably do ok. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Jill posted a picture of one of the boys playing in the snow using food coloring. The caption said when you run out of things to do a little food coloring goes a long way.

You know where they don’t run out of things to do? The local elementary schools. 

Were the schools even open with the weather today? But yes, they need to be in school. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Were the schools even open with the weather today? But yes, they need to be in school. 

I know government offices were closed. I doubt schools were open, but we still have lots of weekday, daytime pics in the homeschool dossier.

Question: could the tell-all be written in Jill's name so as to not ruin Dwreck's career? Jill's name would also sell more books, even if Dwreck did the lion's share of the actual writing.

• Like 4

I am less positive about Siloam Springs, but all the NWA schools I know have been out here since Monday due to freezing rain and ice that have frozen the roads and have already preemptively called off school for tomorrow too. So, the fact they're not doing anything school-related today isn't necessarily proof they're not in school. 

But I think Jill's refusal to confirm for months now anything about school indicates that yes they're probably being homeschooled. Indeed, I'd think if they were in school and were out for weather today, the discussion would have been framed differently. More like yay free day versus boring business as usual. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 20
  • Sad 1