Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

So in-person signatures will eventually all be print?

It already is.  The older grands have a "signature" which isn't cursive.  I am guessing they aren't the only ones.  Also, niece about 25 writes notes in fancy printing.  Not cursive.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, P2C2E said:

I do not understand the obsession with cursive. I learned it in school and have never used it since. It carries no additional writing advantage over printing. I care that the Dillard kids learn to read and write. Why on earth should it matter if it's cursive? 

On of the reasons is most if not all historical documents are in cursive. Would someone be able to read them? ( I am not going all conspiracy theory here) I have a few young people tell me they did not learn how to write in cursive and cannot read anything written in cursive.  It is good to be able to read historical documents written in your language. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

It already is.  The older grands have a "signature" which isn't cursive.  I am guessing they aren't the only ones.  Also, niece about 25 writes notes in fancy printing.  Not cursive.

This will be interesting with young adults entering the workforce and older adults still using cursive. While most things are done by computer, not everything is and that could cause problems. Like are prescriptions ever written out anywhere any more? What would a new young pharmacist do if he can't read the script? (never mind the old, MD handwriting jokes) Will older license signatures look like scribbles to young cops? What about a note from grandma? Or even some greeting cards use cursive font.

It seems to me there will be a few bumps in the road ahead, seeing as kids born in the 80s (&90s?) read and write cursive. Lets hope none of the bumps result in anything too bad.

The Fundy kids, like Jill and Derick's, may be the only ones who will continue to write in cursive. I'm imaging a movie now - the only way to save to world is to 'break a code' and some Fundy will pipe up and say, that's not code, its cursive, and it says don't push the big red button🤣

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This will be interesting with young adults entering the workforce and older adults still using cursive. While most things are done by computer, not everything is and that could cause problems. Like are prescriptions ever written out anywhere any more? What would a new young pharmacist do if he can't read the script? (never mind the old, MD handwriting jokes) Will older license signatures look like scribbles to young cops? What about a note from grandma? Or even some greeting cards use cursive font.

It seems to me there will be a few bumps in the road ahead, seeing as kids born in the 80s (&90s?) read and write cursive. Lets hope none of the bumps result in anything too bad.

The Fundy kids, like Jill and Derick's, may be the only ones who will continue to write in cursive. I'm imaging a movie now - the only way to save to world is to 'break a code' and some Fundy will pipe up and say, that's not code, its cursive, and it says don't push the big red button🤣

All true!  Grands don't read cursive either, so I have to remember when I am writing their birthday cards.  It is not specific to them - it is everyone in their peer group.  Or, shall I say, everyone they went to/going to public school, college, law school with.  It is a real thing at least as far as I know.  Of course I'm sure there are posters whose children's school still teach cursive, or brave souls who are teaching it to their own children.  Life is different than even my "olden days".

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
23 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

On of the reasons is most if not all historical documents are in cursive. Would someone be able to read them? ( I am not going all conspiracy theory here) I have a few young people tell me they did not learn how to write in cursive and cannot read anything written in cursive.  It is good to be able to read historical documents written in your language. 

Very true - daughter recently took college students to small museum to plan projects. They were shown all kinds of things in the archives that could be possible sources of topics and info. But the diaries, picture captions, documents, etc, were all in cursive and only a few students could read any of them.

The majority of the students believe all things cursive will be readable/translatable with AI soon, so they were not worried at all about not knowing how to read cursive.

It seems the older Duggar kids all learned some form of cursive by writing out scripture passages. Not saying they learned it well.

Also, Michelle Duggar's non cursive signature with the ❤️ dotting the i has been seen on legal documents going back many years. 😂

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Electronic medical records, required by law, have made the traditional written prescription almost obsolete.  I don't think I even have a paper prescription pad in my office anymore.  I presume the office manager has one or two locked up someplace in case the power goes out.

I mut say, being able to bring up a drug's name and typical dosage with just a click or two and then whisk it away to the pharmacy in just a couple of seconds all the while sitting in the room with the patient is an incredible time saver for everyone.  I am sure it also decreases the chance for errors or misreading.

We used to have to write prescriptions for controlled substances on paper by hand, but that is also no longer needed.  My employer uses a 3 point verification system using the computer and my employer issued iphone to verify all narcotics and it seems to be working very well and probably helps prevent fraudulent precribing, to boot.

I do have nice handwriting, especially for a doctor and a lefty, too.  I was all those nuns making me draw ovals between the lines in grade school.

• Like 20

My kids were taught cursive in second grade.  The explanation was that cursive is one movement where is a start and stop and in easier for kids.  They never had a problem reading the print workbooks, etc.   I have also read that can be easier for kids with a disability for the same reason.

I also feel that once teaching to the test took over education things like teaching script were deemed to time consuming.

Edited by jacourt
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Electronic medical records, required by law, have made the traditional written prescription almost obsolete.  I don't think I even have a paper prescription pad in my office anymore.  I presume the office manager has one or two locked up someplace in case the power goes out.

I mut say, being able to bring up a drug's name and typical dosage with just a click or two and then whisk it away to the pharmacy in just a couple of seconds all the while sitting in the room with the patient is an incredible time saver for everyone.  I am sure it also decreases the chance for errors or misreading.

We used to have to write prescriptions for controlled substances on paper by hand, but that is also no longer needed.  My employer uses a 3 point verification system using the computer and my employer issued iphone to verify all narcotics and it seems to be working very well and probably helps prevent fraudulent precribing, to boot.

I do have nice handwriting, especially for a doctor and a lefty, too.  I was all those nuns making me draw ovals between the lines in grade school.

Same around here too, but I was wondering about in more rural areas. Some areas in the US are still without internet.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Very true - daughter recently took college students to small museum to plan projects. They were shown all kinds of things in the archives that could be possible sources of topics and info. But the diaries, picture captions, documents, etc, were all in cursive and only a few students could read any of them.

The majority of the students believe all things cursive will be readable/translatable with AI soon, so they were not worried at all about not knowing how to read cursive.

It seems the older Duggar kids all learned some form of cursive by writing out scripture passages. Not saying they learned it well.

Also, Michelle Duggar's non cursive signature with the ❤️ dotting the i has been seen on legal documents going back many years. 😂

Taking my reply over to small talk.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Taking to small talk

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
11 hours ago, P2C2E said:

I do not understand the obsession with cursive. I learned it in school and have never used it since. It carries no additional writing advantage over printing. I care that the Dillard kids learn to read and write. Why on earth should it matter if it's cursive? 

Well, it's much faster, at least for me.  And it can be lovely and it carries a glimpse of personality that is missing in printing, and as someone else pointed out, it is part of being literate.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Why do they kiss like that? It’s so passion less. 

Sad beige Kisses for sad beige adults 

Yep, it's more of the fish lip kisses.  Yuck.

• LOL 7

Was learning to tell time on an analog clock part of the Duggar home school program?  I wonder if all of the kids learned to read a clock growing up.  Not that they paid attention to time, according to what was shown on TV.  I just wonder if they can teach their children how to tell time.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Was learning to tell time on an analog clock part of the Duggar home school program?  I wonder if all of the kids learned to read a clock growing up.  Not that they paid attention to time, according to what was shown on TV.  I just wonder if they can teach their children how to tell time.

I don't recall seeing clocks at the TTH, but I could be mistaken. I do recall JB always wearing a digital watch with technology from the 80s. I also recall Meech wearing ugly watches back in the day. I haven't paid attention to either of their wrists in the past decade, so who knows what they're wearing these days.

• LOL 1

You'd think after being married all these years and having three kids together that these two would look less awkward kissing.  Also, you'd think they'd be over the kissing selfie.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

You'd think after being married all these years and having three kids together that these two would look less awkward kissing.  Also, you'd think they'd be over the kissing selfie.

It may be that the awkwardness is BECAUSE it's a selfie; look at her extended arm. She's obviously holding a phone or camera. Expressing passion would be difficult in that pose!

That said... ugh. Kissing selfie. So teenagerish. 

• Like 24

Honestly, I would venture a guess that the kiss is  for public consumption, not that we asked for it.  I'm also guessing behind the scenes and behind closed doors there is lotion time and all that entails, just leave it there!

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 7

Again though, like JillR, what is JillD trying to prove? We know they have sex, because, well, Jill tells us they do. We know they love each other, because, well Jill tells us they do. And we certainly know they kiss, because Jill posts maybe a half dozen(+?) kissing pics a year.

Aren't they 30 year olds living semi in the real world now? Surely they should have grown out of this by now.

• Like 14
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Honestly, I would venture a guess that the kiss is  for public consumption, not that we asked for it.  I'm also guessing behind the scenes and behind closed doors there is lotion time and all that entails, just leave it there!

1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

Maybe that’s the only way they know how to kiss.  Kinda makes you wonder how awkward  “lotion time” might be! 

Brain bleach please 🤢🤮

• LOL 10
38 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I wonder if the other guys in the office rib Derrick about his social media life?...or maybe behind his back....Prosecutors are so cynical, believe me, I know. Jill needs to tone this down a bit.

Since Derick is the alleged headship he can shut her down if he wants to...

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He seems to enjoy taunting her followers. 

I think he gets off on that more than he does anything else, including lotion time. 

I almost didn't type that, but I figured since my mind had to suffer through that impulsive thought, I'd share it and bring the rest of you down with me. 

• LOL 24
13 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I guess if he got too much pushback from press or bosses he might shut her down. 

I think he would if his bosses called him out on it, but I think he enjoys the negative attention, so the press doing it may just egg him on. 

• Like 8
11 hours ago, jacourt said:

Looks like kids having healthy fun outside and the parents were there. 

Yeah, my dad's family owns land that borders a crick.  Hopping on over to the crick on a nice day is the norm on that side.  We all had fun playing in and around the crick.  I learned to skip rocks with my dad.  Others fished (strictly catch and release).  Someday I will inherit 1/4 of 1/9th of that land.  

• Like 11
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

54C92F65-215E-4677-9B5F-0B9334C020E4.thumb.jpeg.87c644c443442e800736e15c19f95b78.jpeg

Imagine my surprise when I came upon this earlier today. 
I wonder if he is making a comeback in fundie circles. 

I don't think Spurgeon's popularity amongst the fundies has ever waned. Even anti intellectual Jill Rod has trotted out a Spurgeon meme. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
On 4/6/2023 at 12:51 AM, GeeGolly said:

Since Derick hasn't posted lately this is still the last/top pic. I hope his clients don't check him out online. 😬 🤣

image.png.862ce83af58f62fff5b1d857ef292a7a.png

The picture is very unflattering, but these days I don’t think it would cause any professional alarm bells. He’s making a snow angel. I think he’s a bit silly for doing that in swimming gear (this photo on the beach should make so much more sense), but people take silly photos all the time these days. 

• Like 13