Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, jacourt said:

She should make some friends and have as much of a normal life as possible. But then maybe she thinks she does have the normal life. I hate to see her potential and her kids potential minimized. 

This is why I was floored when she announced she was pregnant again. I thought that both boys would be in school and maybe she would be able to volunteer somewhere. Hell, she could've worked in the thrift store she and Amy are constantly shopping at.
I truly think Jill is afraid to be at home by herself. Look how many times she went to see Derick at Walmart before Izzy was born. There was no way she was going to be able to go to the courthouse or wherever Derick is working and sit with him all day till the boys were out of school.
I'm hoping maybe they are doing online school(thought something was mentioned here about this option). She sucked at homeschooling Izzy or at least trying to teach him basics and she was completely overwhelmed with it when Sam was born.
It's so sad that they were brought up in such a hateful home where going to school was shamed upon. The only friends they had were their siblings. It amazes me that none of these people want better for their kids. They can't get past that not everything taught in school is evil.
I'm the youngest of 3, I was in the same school with my oldest sibling for a year and 2 years with my middle sibling. My mom survived with us going to different schools. Though she didn't take us, we had one car. We walked to school(We were a couple blocks from the elementry school). Middle school and high school, we either took  the city bus or walked. Yes, it was a much different time, but making a point.

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Jill had a miscarriage before becoming pregnant with Freddy. River Bliss is the Dillards' version of J'Caleb. Especially if Jill was on BC when she became pregnant with River Bliss.

They're against the pill. From what I've gathered based on what Jill has said, they use barrier methods of BC. But it was obvious from the timing that they planned River Bliss' pregnancy to coincide with Derick's graduation from law school. They didn't even wait until he passed the bar. She became pregnant again very soon after the loss, more proof that this was a planned pregnancy.

• Like 15

Jill, an 8 year old should not be cooking the family's dinner...that is YOUR JOB; like a traditional stay at home mother is meant to do. Isn't that what you were "trained" for? Yes, Izzy sure is tall; I am sorry that he does not get to attend school as we presume. Hopefully he will next school year,.Sam too.

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Jill, an 8 year old should not be cooking the family's dinner...that is YOUR JOB; like a traditional stay at home mother is meant to do. Isn't that what you were "trained" for? Yes, Izzy sure is tall; I am sorry that he does not get to attend school as we presume. Hopefully he will next school year,.Sam too.

From her post, it appears that he only makes this one soup. It's pretty much dump and stir. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 4
8 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

But he is reading a recipe and showing that he knows what to do.  At least he has an interest that he is allowed to follow, unlike his poor cousins.

I think this task is age-appropriate. Not sure if he prepped the ingredients though. How about an 8 year old cutting slippery, raw chicken? 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think this task is age-appropriate. Not sure if he prepped the ingredients though. How about an 8 year old cutting slippery, raw chicken? 

He could get cousin Dax to bring over his sharp knives to help🙄

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 14
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Not meaning to defend her but there are kids that do enjoy cooking, even at such a young age. So, maybe, just maybe, he is one of those kids. 

I did at that age. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SMama said:

There is a mom on Tik Tok who films her three children making rather complex meals. They range in age from I think 5-9. It’s amazing the amount of safe kitchen tools for kids out there. They do everything under her supervision, in unison. They cook on portable one burners. She must have a lot of storage available. 😂

To see kids that age making surf and turf, jambalaya, Wellington, etc is truly a joy. SGirl has always had her own knife set and other tools, including a glove to avoid cutting herself. I had no idea they now sell knuckle guards to prevent cutting accidents.

I became Mami’s souz chef as soon as I was able to stand. I didn’t have the luxury of kid tools but Mami was right beside me. By the time I was Israel’s age I could cook a meal on my own. Again with Mami right by my side. I’m forever grateful for that skill. It’s something I have passed on to my children, a great bonding experience.

As long as Israel is not completely responsible for cooking meals and cleaning like Callie Bates, I say god for him. He will be able to feed himself and not depend on a girlfriend or wife. Look at how much Zach Bates enjoys cooking for his family. 

My father's parents owned a diner when he was small.  He used to tell us that one of his first memories was sitting at a table chopping vegetables for soup with his mother when he was around 3.   He literally grew up in the kitchen with his mother, cooking.  She was an amazing cook and baker and my dad was, too.

However, Jill isn't that bright and I'm not sure she could properly supervise Israel.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, floridamom said:

I give a pass on  this...1. He may like to cook - which if he makes home made food ..will benefit him in the long run!

• Like 23
  • Applause 1

Maybe Izzy will accidently learn fractions. Wasn't it Jill who said she hoped Jackson would be a girl, but was okay with him being a boy because then it would be half and half. Jackson made the numbers 10 boys & 5 girls. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 14

My post regarding the photo of Izzy cooking was that I hope he wasn't responsible for the family's meals at his age. I agree that this is a good life skill that we all should learn. Helping out; making simple things is great; not being responsible to feed the family.

• Like 9
On 4/28/2023 at 12:54 PM, libgirl2 said:

Not meaning to defend her but there are kids that do enjoy cooking, even at such a young age. So, maybe, just maybe, he is one of those kids. 

My mom taught me how to cook when I was really young and like all other Gen X, I was a latchkey kid.  I would get bored and call her at work and ask if I could make dinner, beginning at 10.  One of the meals I knew how to cook was Swedish meatballs.  I remember making that, some rice and bran muffins I stuck chocolate chips in.  HA!  I think it is awesome when kids cook.  Too many aren't taught these days.

• Like 18
19 hours ago, AstridM said:

I did at that age. 

So did I. With my father, no less. I remember helping my grandmother make grape jam when I was even younger, and that was a seriously messy and hot job.

Anyway, maybe the Dillard kids might actually get something close to proper nutrition, unlike their mother and maternal aunts and uncles. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Like 15

I would bet he is a better cook than his aunt Jessa.  I wonder if there are any kid cooking classes in their area.  I always enjoy watching the Kid's Baking Championship, and am amazed at how well some kids can cook and bake.  I wish my mother, and especially my grandmother, could have been as good in the kitchen.  (My grandma was truly a horrible cook)

• Like 13
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2023 at 10:47 AM, floridamom said:

My post regarding the photo of Izzy cooking was that I hope he wasn't responsible for the family's meals at his age. I agree that this is a good life skill that we all should learn. Helping out; making simple things is great; not being responsible to feed the family.

That was my first thought too. I hope that's not what Jill's doing. I hope that he's just cooking to help out or he wants too. Or even Jill thinks he should learn to cook. 

• Like 4

I think the post of Izzy cooking is just that - Izzy cooking. Do I think Jill might ask Iz or Sam for some help around the house here or there? For sure. And she should. Kids should be doing kid sized chores and they need to step up and do extra help every once in a while. We (possibly) shall see what the future brings.

Nothing Jill has done thus far leans me either way. The boys go to swimming lessons because Jill is paid to send them. Izzy's school situation seems to be null and void at this point. Jill does seem to get overwhelmed easily and she still does follow a few of her Fundy upbringing childrearing ways. So maybe I'm ever so slightly tipped in the "buddy system" direction.

I'm not sure we'll ever know at this point because Jill has become more aware of what she's posting, or more specifically what she's not posting.

• Like 11
On 4/29/2023 at 9:32 AM, Jeeves said:

I don't think Jill grew up in a home where the sons were expected to learn to cook. Did the Duggars' TV show have any scenes where the sons were learning to cook? I don't count flipping burgers on an outdoor grill (which is of course very manly). We've snarked like crazy on her social media posts with beige dishes and the "tossed salad and homemade bread" lines, but IIRC she's shown - or at least shared on SM - more genuine interest in cooking than any of her siblings.

There was one episode of the show where they flipped the jurisdictions of the boys and girls.  The boys were in charge of whatever the girls normally were with Michelle leading them and the girls were with JB doing the manly chores.  I don't remember which recipes the boys made though.  I do remember JB showing the older girls how to check the oil in the cars.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Even with free lessons Jill and Derick must drive them to/from class, and it looks like at times the adults participate. I’m sure Jessa could obtain free classes too (like Amy and Joy) but it’ll be a cold day in hell when she takes time from her do nothing schedule to provide her children that life saving experience.

• Like 4
  • Sad 12
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Who pays her?

2 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Are we sure the swimm lessions for all 3 boys are free? I somewhat highly doubt it 

And yes, she has shown Freddy takes swimm lession too

Jill's posts say paid sponsor. I'm guessing she gets free lessons and a small cash amount too.

Influencers make real money shilling products. Its not just freebies.

image.thumb.png.6da36c113407c08fca58ded861240fa3.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I don’t follow Jill on SM and only see what’s posted here, so may not have the full context. That said: I’m glad when I see her kids presented as individuals and not always in general chaotic ensemble mode.

I hope they get back to school next semester I held out hope that they were Quiet Schooling but that has faded.

• Like 19
1 hour ago, RandomX said:

I don’t follow Jill on SM and only see what’s posted here, so may not have the full context. That said: I’m glad when I see her kids presented as individuals and not always in general chaotic ensemble mode.

"General chaotic ensemble mode" = excellent description of the typical Duggar and Seewald situation.

• Like 19

I, too, don't follow Jill or anyone here on their instagrams/facebooks etc. I only see what you kind posters post here of these videos and I appreciate it very much. Thanks to you all for doing so!

• Like 20
On 4/29/2023 at 9:32 AM, Jeeves said:

I ain't nominating Jill for MOTY, but I'm not alarmed by that snap of Izzy standing at the stove. Just possibly, he really is interested in cooking. And just possibly, Jill not only recognizes that, she's allowing him to participate, appropriately, in meal prep along with her. He's old enough, and tall enough, to learn by doing about hot stoves and skillets and saucepans. He's not a feral toddler turned loose in the kitchen. 

I don't think Jill grew up in a home where the sons were expected to learn to cook. Did the Duggars' TV show have any scenes where the sons were learning to cook? I don't count flipping burgers on an outdoor grill (which is of course very manly). We've snarked like crazy on her social media posts with beige dishes and the "tossed salad and homemade bread" lines, but IIRC she's shown - or at least shared on SM - more genuine interest in cooking than any of her siblings.

And she's sharing a photo of her MALE CHILD at a stove, learning to cook. I treasure the idea of JB seeing that and being displeased. Heh.

It's disappointing to me that she's homeschooling Izzy and Sam. Such a step backwards. Ugh. At least she's not showing us the kind of pointless depressing kid videos and images that Jessa puts out there. I think her kids aren't left to wander around the house in a semi-feral unkempt state - like their Seewald cousins are portrayed on SM by their proud mom.

I know, low bar. 

John David taught Jinger to grind the grain and make the bread. He probably learned because Josh was too busy being the Golden Penis and Jana had her hands full with 7 toddlers and an infant. 

• Sad 4
  • Useful 4
On 4/29/2023 at 6:32 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I would bet he is a better cook than his aunt Jessa.  I wonder if there are any kid cooking classes in their area.  I always enjoy watching the Kid's Baking Championship, and am amazed at how well some kids can cook and bake.  I wish my mother, and especially my grandmother, could have been as good in the kitchen.  (My grandma was truly a horrible cook)

Did  you ever see the Kid's Masterchef? I was in awe of what they could come up with. 

• Like 16
12 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Probably going to visit Derick while they are in town at the library.  

I think they went to the library while Derick was actually working. It looks like Jill is packing up the kids to bring him his lunch, just like the good ole days at Wal-Mart.

• Like 6
On 4/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, Madtown said:

This is why I was floored when she announced she was pregnant again. I thought that both boys would be in school and maybe she would be able to volunteer somewhere. Hell, she could've worked in the thrift store she and Amy are constantly shopping at.
I truly think Jill is afraid to be at home by herself. Look how many times she went to see Derick at Walmart before Izzy was born. There was no way she was going to be able to go to the courthouse or wherever Derick is working and sit with him all day till the boys were out of school.
I'm hoping maybe they are doing online school(thought something was mentioned here about this option). She sucked at homeschooling Izzy or at least trying to teach him basics and she was completely overwhelmed with it when Sam was born.
It's so sad that they were brought up in such a hateful home where going to school was shamed upon. The only friends they had were their siblings. It amazes me that none of these people want better for their kids. They can't get past that not everything taught in school is evil.
I'm the youngest of 3, I was in the same school with my oldest sibling for a year and 2 years with my middle sibling. My mom survived with us going to different schools. Though she didn't take us, we had one car. We walked to school(We were a couple blocks from the elementry school). Middle school and high school, we either took  the city bus or walked. Yes, it was a much different time, but making a point.

I absolutely agree with you, I like people who can so well express their point of view, I admire you 🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1