Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They have published some reality TV star memoirs before and have some on deck.  A quick check shows Brandi Glanville and Joe Exotic as Gallery authors.

Thank you for checking on Gallery! I was curious about them but hadn't had a chance to look them up. Confession: I had my boss order the Joe Exotic book at the library a couple of years ago and then couldn't even get through the first chapter. Nobody else checked it out. I still haven't lived that purchase request down. I think this is probably just a cash-grab through and through for both sides. 

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

Edited by Zella
  • Like 11
  • LOL 4

Given the blurb, it does sound like there is a bit more there than what Jinger published.  There will still be lots of God loves us best and we got through it with prayer, but I don't think the parents are getting a pass this time.  As far as Derick's participation, libel is only libel if it is untrue and there seems to be ample evidence that JB has ripped off his own kids.  

I do have to say that I doubt this is going to give them the healing and peace they think it will.  I think Derick particularly is hanging on to resentment of JB and that is causing at least some of Jill's issues.  I don't know what it will take for him to finally let things go and be happy.  He has more than a lot of people do.  You would think that his time in Danger America would have impressed upon him how fortunate he is.  I get that what happened around the show and the felon was toxic, but at some point for your own health you have to move forward and stop living in the past.  You don't even have to forgive, you just need to decide that life is too short to wallow in anger and miss out on all the good you have.  

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Thank you for checking on Gallery! I was curious about them but hadn't had a chance to look them up. Confession: I had my boss order the Joe Exotic book at the library a couple of years ago and then couldn't even get through the first chapter. Nobody else checked it out. I still haven't lived that purchase request down. I think this is probably just a cash-grab through and through for both sides. 

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

They also publish one of my favorite paranormal romance authors, Kresley Cole.  Her books have werewolves, vampires, demons, witches, valkyries, sirens, and other races fighting, fucking, and falling in love.  The books are deliciously filthy.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

That's a bad photo of Jill.

She doesn't even look like herself.

And I hate Derrick's position as she was being held hostage.

He looks ok

Agree, strange look on her face, and he looks like he’s going to put her in a headlock. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They also publish one of my favorite paranormal romance authors, Kresley Cole.  Her books have werewolves, vampires, demons, witches, valkyries, sirens, and other races fighting, fucking, and falling in love.  The books are deliciously filthy.  

And now I'm off to google the works of Kresley Cole!  Thanks so much!

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I do have to say that I doubt this is going to give them the healing and peace they think it will.  I think Derick particularly is hanging on to resentment of JB and that is causing at least some of Jill's issues. 

Yes.

Jill traded one sanctimonious patriarch for another I'm afraid. By all accounts, it seems as if Jill may have a "better" life, now that she is not saddled with family burden or the IBLP ideology.

Unfortunately though, Derick's past tweet history, confirms his ongoing, seething feud against her father. His anger might very well be justified but I am wary of his involvement in HER story. 

I think he should get off her cover. She should be the one looking powerfully into the camera. Instead it looks like he's saying "she's mine now." 

He may have "rescued her" -  but I fear the book now only represents his ideas and his narrative - shared by Jill. Not owned by Jill.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Interestingly, Jed! snapped at someone on Jill's Instagram. I couldn't find the original comment, as it was contained in a side thread over 100 posts long. But he was pissed! He said something to the effect of the person didn't know their family history and to back off. 

He's such a Boob sycophant that he's the LAST sibling (aside from Jessa) that I expected to see in her comments.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Interestingly, Jed! snapped at someone on Jill's Instagram. I couldn't find TBE original comment, as it was contained in a side thread over 100 posts long. But he waz pissed! He said something to the effect of the person didn't know their family history and to back off. 

He's such a Boob sycophant that he's the LAST sibling (aside from Jessa) that I expected to see in her comments.

I saw it. Jed! was battling against someone's long tirade which essentially damned his family to hell and said that Derick and Jill were guided by the Holy Spirit. Battle of the Christians I guess. IMHO -Jed AND the commenter were both perhaps misguided  - LOL.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 14
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

By January nobody is going to remember a damn thing about any of these people.  That's why she's using Duggar.  

At least Jinger got her book in front of people when the Josh scandal was winding down & people still recognized the name.  And her book is still selling. 

1 hour ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

This book should have been written sooner to coincide better with the release of the documentary. By January, I don't think the interest will be nearly as high as following directly on the tails of the documentary release.

I suspect both of you are correct that by January, the interest in this book will have died down, but in all fairness, publishers set the release dates. Not authors. 

They are at least taking advantage of the publicity of the docuseries to generate some pre-sales. Amazon currently ranks it at #145 in the Kindle Store and #1 in Biographies of the Rich & Famous. And, much more excitingly, #1 in Occult Cults & Demonism!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 19
3 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Yes.

Jill traded one sanctimonious patriarch for another I'm afraid. By all accounts, it seems as if Jill may have a "better" life, now that she is not saddled with family burden or the IBLP ideology.

Unfortunately though, Derick's past tweet history, confirms his ongoing, seething feud against her father. His anger might very well be justified but I am wary of his involvement in HER story. 

I think he should get off her cover. She should be the one looking powerfully into the camera. Instead it looks like he's saying "she's mine now." 

He may have "rescued her" -  but I fear the book now only represents his ideas and his narrative - shared by Jill. Not owned by Jill.

So do I. While I'm glad they broke away. Derick didn't do any of this for Jill and the horrible way she was raised. He did it because he was mad a JB for not paying him and other things. It's never been about Jill.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

So do I. While I'm glad they broke away. Derick didn't do any of this for Jill and the horrible way she was raised. He did it because he was mad a JB for not paying him and other things. It's never been about Jill.

I agree. It seemed to me Jill was stuck between Derick's wishes and her family's wishes, but prior to the hospital bill Derick was all in. Until Izzy's birth Jill's life was all sunshine and rainbows. The first hard thing in her life was her birth plan going 'awry'. Then I'm sure Derick's 360 when he was denied compensation for filming so he could pay the hospital bill made Jill's head spin and then JB's behaviors when refusing to pay hurt her soul.

From the outside looking in it seems the results are good - Jill has distanced herself from her family. But... maybe she was pulled and pushed and she wanted neither. It's one thing to decide to get a piercing or start wearing pants, its a whole other ball of wax to watch your headship feud with your dad.

I don't need a book based on a feud over money to say JB is an asshole. Or the negative aspects of kids on reality TV. I'd rather a book acknowledging the damage of being raised in a religious cult. From what I see this book is Derick's (a book he has threatened to write numerous times) and he's using convenient aspects of Jill's childhood to cement his place as the good guy winner, when IMO he is no better than JB.

IMO, this book, depending on what is actually in it, could possibly take away from what Jinger has written and what the docuseries may show - that cults are bad.

As I mentioned above, what I would like is a Duggar or Bates kid to write a thoughtful book, including nonpersonal but related supporting facts, about the dangers of religious zealots. The dangers of being raised with fear. The dangers of being raised in a cult. Taking down JB&M or KJ&G would be a side benefit, not the main attraction.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree. It seemed to me Jill was stuck between Derick's wishes and her family's wishes, but prior to the hospital bill Derick was all in. Until Izzy's birth Jill's life was all sunshine and rainbows. The first hard thing in her life was her birth plan going 'awry'. Then I'm sure Derick's 360 when he was denied compensation for filming so he could pay the hospital bill made Jill's head spin and then JB's behaviors when refusing to pay hurt her soul.

From the outside looking in it seems the results are good - Jill has distanced herself from her family. But... maybe she was pulled and pushed and she wanted neither. It's one thing to decide to get a piercing or start wearing pants, its a whole other ball of wax to watch your headship feud with your dad.

I don't need a book based on a feud over money to say JB is an asshole. Or the negative aspects of kids on reality TV. I'd rather a book acknowledging the damage of being raised in a religious cult. From what I see this book is Derick's (a book he has threatened to write numerous times) and he's using convenient aspects of Jill's childhood to cement his place as the good guy winner, when IMO he is no better than JB.

IMO, this book, depending on what is actually in it, could possibly take away from what Jinger has written and what the docuseries may show - that cults are bad.

As I mentioned above, what I would like is a Duggar or Bates kid to write a thoughtful book, including nonpersonal but related supporting facts, about the dangers of religious zealots. The dangers of being raised with fear. The dangers of being raised in a cult. Taking down JB&M or KJ&G would be a side benefit, not the main attraction.

Eh - Jinger did nothing but join a different cult (possibly worse  than the first), so I don’t think that was the message her book gave. 

• Like 8

Knowing some of the people at the church Jinger attends, she is WAY better off.  There can be a big difference in what is in print and assumed about a place and how an individual functions within it.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Knowing some of the people at the church Jinger attends, she is WAY better off.  There can be a big difference in what is in print and assumed about a place and how an individual functions within it.  

Yes, but she is DEEP into the dysfunction because of her husband, in a way that the average church-goer wouldn’t be. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5
54 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Eh - Jinger did nothing but join a different cult (possibly worse  than the first), so I don’t think that was the message her book gave. 

I disagree. I think Jinger spoke about how her childhood was negatively effected by the Gothard/cult/faith-based way she was raised. The message I see here is, its okay to find your own way in regard to religion.

Derick wrote a book about the asshole JB is. The message I see here is, JB is an asshole.

Two different things to me.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, quarks said:

I suspect both of you are correct that by January, the interest in this book will have died down, but in all fairness, publishers set the release dates. Not authors. 

They are at least taking advantage of the publicity of the docuseries to generate some pre-sales. Amazon currently ranks it at #145 in the Kindle Store and #1 in Biographies of the Rich & Famous. And, much more excitingly, #1 in Occult Cults & Demonism!

I doubt it.  How many years has this show been off the air and interest has not suffered?  Jill may be the tip of the iceberg in sharing what happened.  I can see more tidbits coming out before Jan.  Re Jed! getting heated on insta?  That sanctimonious asshat doesn't want to see his funds suffer and have to get a real job.  I want all of them still involved to live like regular folk of similar intellect and drive.  That would be um, interesting.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I disagree. I think Jinger spoke about how her childhood was negatively effected by the Gothard/cult/faith-based way she was raised. The message I see here is, its okay to find your own way in regard to religion.

Derick wrote a book about the asshole JB is. The message I see here is, JB is an asshole.

Two different things to me.

For me too. I don’t get the impression Jill’s book has much to do with IBLP as it does JB being a dick. Which, is that news at this point? That guy pinged my asshole radar from their first special.

I am glad Jill at the very least understands what her parents did by dismissing her when she tried to tell them about Josh all those years ago was not ok, and that teen Jill was right. Derick sucks so I honestly do not care what he has to say about anything. I’d be more interested in this book if he has just taken a seat. That being said, I guess of all the older girls spouses, he seems to at least like Jill. Ben and Austin seem to have varying levels of contempt for their wives, and Jeremy is the biggest poser who just wants an Instagram wife. I mean it’s an incredibly low bar, and I wouldn’t want to be married to  or even in the same room with Derick if humanity depended on it.

• Like 12

I'm curious what the motivation is to participate in the documentary and put out a memoir. Is it money? I'm assuming that Derrick got a job as a lawyer, but I haven't kept up with them or their social media. I agree with others that Derrick really wants to stick it to Jim Bob. I don't like Jim Bob, but Derrick and Jill are grifters too, making money off their "fame" and exploiting it to a degree. Hopefully this doesn't ruin Jill's relationship with her siblings.

With both Jill and Jinger, I question whether these books are their ideas or if their husbands are pushing them to do it because it is so profitable. 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I'm curious what the motivation is to participate in the documentary and put out a memoir. Is it money? I'm assuming that Derrick got a job as a lawyer, but I haven't kept up with them or their social media. I agree with others that Derrick really wants to stick it to Jim Bob. I don't like Jim Bob, but Derrick and Jill are grifters too, making money off their "fame" and exploiting it to a degree. Hopefully this doesn't ruin Jill's relationship with her siblings.

With both Jill and Jinger, I question whether these books are their ideas or if their husbands are pushing them to do it because it is so profitable. 

They were not paid for their participation in the docuseries. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Dimi1 said:

I am giving all the kids a pass...from the point of...they have ALL come out of trauma! Even Derick...losing a father = trauma....what happened to the dugger kids = trauma....as someone who is dealing with the fallout from my own traumatic childhood...and then working and studying with people who have also come out of trauma..I have a lot of compassion for all the kids..... I see so many things they do as reactionary...as searching....have they made mistakes...yes...when you look into parts work, DID - (on a spectrum) , nervous system work...( and more) you can just SEE it...in all they do...most people in life look for 3 things...A place to belong, unconditional love, and purpose...All those kids were either denied all three or it was conditional...so good for Jill and Derick and any of the kids taking the first steps out of truama-by telling their story...and I think they may surprise us...

Not arguing at all but genuinely curious if the same logic applies to Jimbob who by all accounts consistently struggled with food insecurity ("financial agony"), an absent father, and a deeply religious mother who may or may not have blamed her husband's issues on "a loss of spiritual focus."  I can see how the IBLP may have groomed JB from this vulnerable perspective. 

I  DO have trouble finding compassion for JB  - though I would like to learn more about the IBLP and their roots - their recruitment efforts and their tactics.

I don't think Jill's book- or rather's Derick's book - wants to trace things back to how everything unraveled so badly. Derick just wants to win the cowboy showdown. He wants to blow off his pistol and walk into the sunset with HIS woman, spurs a'clickin.

4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They were not paid for their participation in the docuseries. 

No, but it is the perfect PR to launch their dirt for profit book.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I doubt it.  How many years has this show been off the air and interest has not suffered?  Jill may be the tip of the iceberg in sharing what happened.  I can see more tidbits coming out before Jan.  Re Jed! getting heated on insta?  That sanctimonious asshat doesn't want to see his funds suffer and have to get a real job.  I want all of them still involved to live like regular folk of similar intellect and drive.  That would be um, interesting.

I would love to see the Bates outed publicly next, then on to Mcarthur and his misogynistic, hateful cult. We can dream!

1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I don’t think they got paid for the documentary, and I have no problem with people writing memoirs (hopefully it’s mostly truthful). I love memoirs. We’ll see if any of Jill’s barely literate siblings even bother to read the book. If not, their opinions are irrelevant and that’s how she should see it, too, imo. 

1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Not arguing at all but genuinely curious if the same logic applies to Jimbob who by all accounts consistently struggled with food insecurity ("financial agony"), an absent father, and a deeply religious mother who may or may not have blamed her husband's issues on "a loss of spiritual focus."  I can see how the IBLP may have groomed JB from this vulnerable perspective. 

I  DO have trouble finding compassion for JB  - though I would like to learn more about the IBLP and their roots - their recruitment efforts and their tactics.

I don't think Jill's book- or rather's Derick's book - wants to trace things back to how everything unraveled so badly. Derick just wants to win the cowboy showdown. He wants to blow off his pistol and walk into the sunset with HIS woman, spurs a'clickin.

No, but it is the perfect PR to launch their dirt for profit book.

I don’t think JB suffered much growing up. Didn’t his parents send him to a private school (and not his sister?)

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

don't think Jill's book- or rather's Derick's book - wants to trace things back to how everything unraveled so ba

Hard to say until we’ve had the chance to read it, isn’t it?

• Like 10
17 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Hard to say until we’ve had the chance to read it, isn’t it?

Which is why I used the words "I don't think" - obviously speculative lol

24 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I don’t think JB suffered much growing up. Didn’t his parents send him to a private school (and not his sister?)

He did attend a Christian school and I am fairly certain Deanna confirmed that the family struggled with food and financial stability.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I wonder why JB attended a christian school, where tuition, books & fees needed to be paid, yet his parents (or Mary) chose to let the rest of the family struggle with food insecurity? That tuition could have fed the family and JB would have received a good education in public school anyway. It's not like he went on to college and is now a rocket scientist or anything. These people are strange to me.

• Like 18

JB is in his 50s, correct? Around here many parochial schools were free up until the late 70s. Well free, if the parents attended the affiliated church and tithed. Are we sure his parents paid for him to attend school?

• Useful 4
1 minute ago, floridamom said:

I wonder why JB attended a christian school, where tuition, books & fees needed to be paid, yet his parents (or Mary) chose to let the rest of the family struggle with food insecurity? That tuition could have fed the family and JB would have received a good education in public school anyway. It's not like he went on to college and is now a rocket scientist or anything. These people are strange to me.

I think the timelines are the issue. They did struggle for quite some time but when they were better off, they chose to send him to Christian school? I am just guessing. Rumor has it that JB's father was an alcoholic - so think roller coaster. Up and down and up and down. More rumors state that Mary - deeply religious - is the one that encouraged her young son JB to be that "christian warrior man" and not like her husband who had "failed." (this is according to JB).  I guess he translated that to "God will provide so long as I remain faithful?" I am not sure when the IBLP got a hold of them - does anyone know?

20 minutes ago, SMama said:

And yet he chose to breed irresponsibly causing food and financial instability for his family until TLC came along. 

Agreed. Makes no sense at all! If he truly believed that the pill caused their miscarriage it would mean a moral failing on his part. And if he truly believed that God would provide - so long as he remained faithful - then I can see how they got wrapped up into this mess. But you would think the trauma of being food insecure himself would have overridden that! The larger question is when did his faith become solely about power?

Just now, GeeGolly said:

JB is in his 50s, correct? Around here many parochial schools were free up until the late 70s. Well free, if the parents attended the affiliated church and tithed. Are we sure his parents paid for him to attend school?

Good point. Not sure.

• Like 1

I am not sure when the IBLP got a hold of them - does anyone know?

Wasn't it through that doctor who told Michelle that the pill caused her miscarriage?  I seem to recall that he was IBLP and encouraged them to come to his church.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 4
12 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Wasn't it through that doctor who told Michelle that the pill caused her miscarriage?  I seem to recall that he was IBLP and encouraged them to come to his church.

That's the way I remember it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

No idea, but they only sent JB but NOT Deanna. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
(edited)

Didn't JB only go to a Christian school for high school? Deanna is 5 years older than JB, so long graduated by then.

Correction - 3 years older.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
54 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Didn't JB only go to a Christian school for high school? Deanna is 5 years older than JB, so long graduated by then.

Correction - 3 years older.

The school was pretty new when JB attended. I'm not sure if Deanna could have attended all 4 years of HS like JB did. She could have still attended her last couple of years, but Mary chose to keep her in public school. It sounds kinda like a big heaping helping of Golden Penis entitlement. 

Also, JB had attended the IBLP Basic Seminar in high school (with Mary). However, he kind of reverted back to mainstream Baptist until they had the misfortune of meeting Dr. Wheat and his horrible miscarriage information. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 12
(edited)

23 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The school was pretty new when JB attended. I'm not sure if Deanna could have attended all 4 years of HS like JB did. She could have still attended her last couple of years, but Mary chose to keep her in public school. It sounds kinda like a big heaping helping of Golden Penis entitlement. 

The school graduated its first high school class in 1983 from what I found. There’s also two different years for Jim Bob’s graduation out there. So, he either graduated with the first class, or second.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

The school graduated its first high school class in 1983 from what I found. There’s also two different years for Jim Bob’s graduation out there. So, he either graduated with the first class, or second.

Okay, I knew it was a close thing with Deanna, but if she graduated in 1980/81, I guess she was stuck at the public school. My bad! 

JB graduated a year ahead of Meech, who was just out of high school when they married in 1984. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Also, JB had attended the IBLP Basic Seminar in high school (with Mary). However, he kind of reverted back to mainstream Baptist until they had the misfortune of meeting Dr. Wheat and his horrible miscarriage information. 

And dear Dr. Wheat wrote that book that JB gave the FF on his wedding day.  🤮

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, SMama said:

And yet he chose to breed irresponsibly causing food and financial instability for his family until TLC came along. 

Agree. Sometimes folks endure hardships and think "I turned out okay" and perpetuate the hardships. They didn't turn out okay

• Like 18
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That's the way I remember it.

In the Shiny Happy People doc, Jim Holt claims that he and JB attended the same Baptist church as teens and they went to an IBLP conference as part of that and came away impressed  and started advocating  other church members to take a look at it.  Since IBLP is not a church and Gothard is not a preacher, it gets believers by having people take it back to their home churches.

The doc also points out repeatedly how attractive IBLP is to guys who are controlling jerks.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 19
  • Useful 4
(edited)
On 6/1/2023 at 3:35 PM, floridamom said:

When I first moved to South Carolina, I didn't understand why that small town in a fairly rural areas, where education is not emphasized, had so many private Christian schools. Then I found out that they were founded in the 1960s. after Brown v. Board of Education. To keep the white kids from having to go to school with Black kids (or heathens). 

I would bet Jim Bob's private-school education had something to do with that idea. Don't ask me why their parents didn't feel the need to keep Deanna away from Black students. Maybe she protested having to go to a different school than her friends went to, and her parents gave in. Someone should ask Deanna, or Amy. 

Edited by Heathen
Letter
  • Like 9
  • Useful 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Heathen said:

When I first moved to South Carolina, I didn't understand why that small town in a fairly rural areas, where education is not emphasized, had so many private Christian schools. Then I found out that they were founded in the 1960. after Brown v. Board of Education. To keep the white kids from having to go to school with Black kids (or heathens). 

I would bet Jim Bob's private-school education had something to do with that idea. Don't ask me why their parents didn't feel the need to keep Deanna away from Black students. Maybe she protested having to go to a different school than her friends went to, and her parents gave in. Someone should ask Deanna, or Amy. 

As was discussed earlier today, Shiloh Christian School opened too late for Deanna to attend. She graduated in 1980/81, and the first graduating class wasn't until JB's class of '83. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3

I'm watching the first episode now. I had forgotten how much I dislike Jill's voice. I hated listening to her on the specials and the regular show. 

Her voice is still nowhere near as annoying as Mullet's baby voice. Especially when Mullet is ginning up some tears to open the wallets of the GotHard faithful. 

• Like 7

I absolutely refused to watch this show after my husband's aunt showed me an episode at her house of "this wonderful Christian family", because growing up in a cult, I could definitely see what she couldn't and didn't want to do anything give it views, and I stay away from their social media, because I won't do anything that gives them money for clicks or keeps them relevant. I REALLY did not expect Derick to sound like that. IDK what I thought he would sound like, but that wasn't it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, Notabug said:

The doc also points out repeatedly how attractive IBLP is to guys who are controlling jerks.

17 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Which explains why none of the loser Duggar sons have wandered off the reservation. 

I have some (probably unfounded) hope that not all of the Duggar boys are jerks. Some (Jed! and FF) obviously are, but a lot of the others seem more derpy and awkward than jerky. Honestly, the only people who do well (relatively speaking) in the cult are the OG patriarchs. The daughters get the worst of it growing up, but a lot of them seem to be able to find partners that, while certainly not what I want out of marriage, make them happier than they were sister-mumming their way through adolescence. 

The boys, on the other hand, get the golden penis treatment growing up, but man, it's got to be hard for them as adults. Gothard teaches that with a polo shirt, khakis, a stint at alert and a solid *cough, cough* home school experience of Wisdom Books, people will literally (in the dictionary sense) be amazed by their godly auras and offer them jobs on the spot. That works for the patriarchs, because other then finding the money for IBLP membership and Alert, they can shove all the responsibility for education, such as it is, to their wives and daughters. All they have to do is show up at the end of the day for "Bible Time" and tell all their kids they're going to Hell unless they live exactly as Mr Control Freak wants. 

But then the lost boys grow up. They have to find a source of income, find a wife and start pumping out the babies with 0 experience, training or education. The ability to take the kind of risks you need to take to really set out on your own was literally beaten out of them as children. So, they find menial jobs with Daddy or a "like-minded" friend because no-one else will hire them. It's pretty damn bleak. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 14
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
17 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

As was discussed earlier today, Shiloh Christian School opened too late for Deanna to attend. She graduated in 1980/81, and the first graduating class wasn't until JB's class of '83. 

Not everybody reads every single post. I have a number of people on ignore. 

So why wasn't Deanna sent to another Christian school? Surely there were others in their area. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Not everybody reads every single post. I have a number of people on ignore. 

So why wasn't Deanna sent to another Christian school? Surely there were others in their area. 

My guess is Deanna was a typical teen who likely had friends and never wanted to change schools. JB, on the other hand was likely an awkward, unpopular, God botherer who didn't fit in.

• Like 14