Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Jim Sammons, not Dave Ramsey.

JB and Michelle definitely like Ramsey. I've never heard of Simmons.

Here's a quote from an interview with JB and Michelle in the Family Review Guide from 2014:

FRG: Now, okay, we’ll do a lighthearted one, a question somebody had. How much food does it take to feed a family your size and what did you do in the early years?

JB: It probably takes over a thousand dollars per month of food now. It’s relatively—the kids are getting bigger and the food costs are going up and it feels like everything’s just more expensive nowadays. Over 30 years, and the purpose, back about 24 years or so ago, to get out of debt and stay out of debt, and so we went through a financial seminar that was so life changing for us. It’s very similar to Dave Ramsey’s “Financial Peace”, and so we encourage people to go through that and purposefully get out of debt. And I really don’t – a lot of people say, “How can you make it without debt?” and I ask families, “How can you make it with debt, because you’re paying 10-12% more for everything that you buy every year, and I can’t afford to pay the interest.”

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Ji’s very similar to Dave Ramsey’s “Financial Peace”, and so we encourage people to go through that and purposefully get out of debt.

so not dave ramsey

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so not dave ramsey

I think they were comparing the seminar to the dave ramsey's book. Since most people weren't at that seminar, they were recommending the book by Ramsey instead. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

So sad that kindergarten is now 1st grade. All the more reason Jill should take advantage of teaching Izzy in a fun & exciting way.

Derick probably told Jill to ask IG what to do that night so the followers would know he was working. He has to keep up appearances because he's been working since he was 5.

Truthfully though, he does seem to work a lot more than any of the other Duggar husbands.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Derick is an independent contractor with GrubHub.  He can take Jill along with him since he is the one paying for the car and the insurance for the car.  

I was an independent contractor for Shipt, a grocery delivery service and I still had to follow rules and terms of the contract and theirs said no other people could come with us on a delivery.   I haven’t been able to assess if Grub Hub has a similar policy or not, but they might. If they do allow people to come with, DDD might have not had time inbetween deliveries to meet her. Or he might be worried that having her tag a long might make customers uncomfortable. Being late could cost him tips, and depending how GrubHubs platform is, late deliveries or poor customer rating would limit the delivery offers he gets. 

The way Shipt worked is you’d enter in the driver app the times you were available, so let’s say 5pm-10pm. If someone placed an order for 6 pm, it would first be offered to someone signed up for 6pm with the highest combination of customer rating, on time deliveries, and acceptance rating. If the highest ranked person didn’t accept the order within two minutes, it went to the next highest person. If you were late a lot, got crappy ratings you might not ever get offered a deliveries for the hours you signed up for because higher ranked people might grab them first. I’m not sure how GrubHub’s system works but a quick browse of Reddit tells me that customer rating, being on time, and acceptance ratings do have an impact. So even if GrubHub would be ok with Jilly clinging along, its not really a great idea. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Useful 10
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I think they were comparing the seminar to the dave ramsey's book. Since most people weren't at that seminar, they were recommending the book by Ramsey instead. 

I think they were referring to Jim Sammons' Financial Freedom, which they discovered early into their foray into Gothardism. Sammons used to be a featured speaker at the conferences.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Temperance said:

ok - i misunderstood the statement

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trillium said:

When I did grocery delivery, it was explicit in the agreement that no one was allowed to shop or deliver with me or they would terminate the contract. I can imagine Grub Hub has a similar policy or it would have been #datenight for those fools. 

I did witness a few of my fellow shoppers breaking this rule, I’d be at the store shopping my delivery and I’d see someone else with their kids in tow. So not everyone follows the rules, but given how people put all the Duggars/adjacents under the microscope, I’m sure DDD is very cautious of making sure not to have Clingy Jilly with him. 

I was thinking it was like when Mr. X drove truck for a living, many years ago.  It's an insurance issue AFAIK.  If there should be an accident, any one not employed by the company wouldn't be covered.  Not worth the risk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

JB and Michelle definitely like Ramsey. I've never heard of Simmons.

Here's a quote from an interview with JB and Michelle in the Family Review Guide from 2014:

FRG: Now, okay, we’ll do a lighthearted one, a question somebody had. How much food does it take to feed a family your size and what did you do in the early years?

JB: It probably takes over a thousand dollars per month of food now. It’s relatively—the kids are getting bigger and the food costs are going up and it feels like everything’s just more expensive nowadays. Over 30 years, and the purpose, back about 24 years or so ago, to get out of debt and stay out of debt, and so we went through a financial seminar that was so life changing for us. It’s very similar to Dave Ramsey’s “Financial Peace”, and so we encourage people to go through that and purposefully get out of debt. And I really don’t – a lot of people say, “How can you make it without debt?” and I ask families, “How can you make it with debt, because you’re paying 10-12% more for everything that you buy every year, and I can’t afford to pay the interest.”

They actively shilled his program while they were still pre-tv poor.  Call google of Duggar Sammons will tell you all you need to know.  It was another “pay me a lot of money so you won’t get taken in again and have financial freedom” course.

I’m certainly associated more with Ramsey due to the fact that he is more mainstream and palatable than their horrible beliefs. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Derick is an independent contractor with GrubHub.  He can take Jill along with him since he is the one paying for the car and the insurance for the car.  

Bet he hasn’t told her that!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, floridamom said:

I am still surprised that Cathy and/or Derick do not see that Jill is undereducated and how this homeschooling "Duggar-style" will affect the boys. They are delusional if they think that either Izzy or Sam has a chance at getting in to real college; let alone being Pistol Pete #3. Why don't they see this and insist that the boys go to a nice Christian school nearby? It will do them AND JILL a world of good. Perhaps then, Jill may have time to organize her week and actually clean her house, get her laundry done and cook a nice meal for dinner.

While I agree with you about the boys education woes.... Jill  just proved she couldn’t figure out what to do with 2 free hours. All day 5 days a week will push her over the edge.

She could  have gone home for those two hours and cleaned in peace and quiet... but instead she needed Instagram followers to hold her hand. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

While I agree with you about the boys education woes.... Jill  just proved she couldn’t figure out what to do with 2 free hours. All day 5 days a week will push her over the edge.

She could  have gone home for those two hours and cleaned in peace and quiet... but instead she needed Instagram followers to hold her hand. 

If the boys actuallly went to school, Jill would probably be there all the time. She would volunteer for every class activity/field trip, just so she wouldn't have to be at home alone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Why is she squishing Izzy while holding up the book that he doesn’t appear to be too thrilled with?

The look on his face is epic!  Way to nearly push your child out of the way to get your own mug on camera.  FFS

24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

4 pictures:

Those colors look great on her.  She doesn't look so pale and clammy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 16
58 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Why is she squishing Izzy while holding up the book that he doesn’t appear to be too thrilled with?

I'd say this was not the first attempt at Jill's selfie with the book. However, I don't know what she doesn't have her arm AROUND Izzy so he can cuddle in instead of against his face, like he's not supposed to be there at all.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

4 pictures:

Wow, this is a zillion times better than normal!!! Even though it's meant to be oversized, it looks like a decent fit for her. See, Jill, you can still wear flattering clothes that aren't skin tight, but aren't too loose either!

• Love 15

Even the damn lion cub has a bow on its head!  And what looks disturbingly like red lips.  Ew--that means something different for a lion than for a human ("mmm, tender gazelle!").

• LOL 4

That lion boo is exceedingly lame and Jill is a terrible reader. Color me unsurprised by the latter.

I always expect Sam to have Stewie Griffin's voice, thanks to the narratives of his adventures trying to escape with Yay.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Oh my.  This author must have gotten her writing skills from Sarah Maxwell.  (Which are terrible IMO) Is the writer a fundie?

Jill refers to the writer as a friend of hers and here is a quote from the website Jill linked:

...when you discover Mommy's Favorite Smell, you'll be instantly transported to when you first held your little one, and experienced that sweet, precious aroma that could only be designed by God.

So, I think we can convict him on circumstantial evidence.

I went to his website and he seems to be linked with that fine organization of haters, Focus on the Family.  Interestingly, in his statement on how he became an author, he talks about how he and his future wife read all the Harry Potter books and loved them although it sounds like he maybe wasn't so fundie at the time since he talks about 'God opening doors' for him 5 years later.  Glad to know God has good manners.

It also looks like he's written some Christian futuristic sci-fi fantasy series of books.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

...when you discover Mommy's Favorite Smell, you'll be instantly transported to when you first held your little one, and experienced that sweet, precious aroma that could only be designed by God.

This putz has never changed a diaper even once, has he...

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

I was curious and looked up this book.  Published by a Christian imprint.  It actually got reviewed in Kirkus this summer* The book is based off of 2 Corinthians verse 15 which talks of "the pleasing odor of Christ."

The scriptural connection is a stretch, a closing prayer a bit trite, and suggested discussion questions tepid, though the recipe for chocolate-chip cookies might tempt some readers. Keep sniffing to find a better story; though innocuous, this one is unlikely to be a favorite.

*No mean feat given how many children's books are published every year.  As a librarian and reader, Kirkus is one of my favorite review sources because they don't hold back and are snarky AF.  The last sentence of a Kirkus review is always bolded to quickly sum up the book.

• Useful 9
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So, Derelict got a flu shot at school. I thought the fundies pretty much winged it when it comes to shots and vaccinations. I wonder if Jill got one?

I didn't think it was possible, D'Wreck looks even crazier than usual.  Just how close to losing his shit, is he?

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So, Derelict got a flu shot at school. I thought the fundies pretty much winged it when it comes to shots and vaccinations. I wonder if Jill got one?

Pretty much every college requires current immunizations. Der's program might have the flu shot be optional, though. I'm sure Dr. Jill knows all about flu shots.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Pretty much every college requires current immunizations. Der's program might have the flu shot be optional, though. I'm sure Dr. Jill knows all about flu shots.

true for college staff as well.

our college professor daughter just asked for her childhood MMR records. her college employer  in NY state requires them to be on record in case of a measles outbreak, if she can't provide record she will not be allowed to work until she proves immunization. their campus' free flu shot day is tomorrow, all staff must have a flu shot

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Dr. Jill knows about as much about flu shots as she knows about coordinating clothing or cooking non-beige food.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

My college doesn't require professor and staff get the flu shot, but it is provided free of charge during our fall Health Fair or for a $5 co-pay through the college's Health Services. Right now, only students in medical or teaching programs have to be immunized. I don't see that changing any time soon, since right-wing religious freedom is taken very seriously here.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Dr. Jill knows about as much about flu shots as she knows about coordinating clothing or cooking non-beige food.

She’s still trying to figure out which hole the baby comes out of. 

• LOL 12

Jill isn’t the greatest at reading outloud, maybe reading in general 🤔but I can let that slide because she IS reading to the boys.

I have to leave the room when my husband reads to the kids, it just grated on every nerve I have because it’s really reallly really awful. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.  Mommy's Favorite Smell and Daddy's Favorite Sound are horrible concepts for a picture book.  My mind went into a completely different direction than what is intended.  

LOL!  Same here. Those titles sound reeeeaally off to me as picture book topics!  😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I read the comments.  So many anti- vaccers.  And so many believe flu shots are nothing more than aborted fetal cells.

11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.  Mommy's Favorite Smell and Daddy's Favorite Sound are horrible concepts for a picture book.  My mind went into a completely different direction than what is intended.  

Me too! I laughed so hard I snorted. Obviously these people behind this book never heard the advice I did--to read every potential title as if you were a 13-year-old boy. This has served me well in editing. 😉 

• LOL 21
  • Love 3

Boy, Jill sucks at reading aloud to children. Why does she always sound like she's discipling her children when she's speaking to them. No warmth in her interaction with Izzy. She's cold and factual with him. Poor little boy. She stinks at being a mother IMO.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Boy, Jill sucks at reading aloud to children. Why does she always sound like she's discipling her children when she's speaking to them. No warmth in her interaction with Izzy. She's cold and factual with him. Poor little boy. She stinks at being a mother IMO.

I know!  And now Sammy is starting to get that same worried, nervous look that Izzy always has around Jill.  She just can't let them be.  She has to always grill them with stupid questions and Izzy sounded snarky when he answered ice cream!

• Love 2