Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

On 7/12/2022 at 7:53 PM, EVS said:

If Freddy has a son someday, his name could be Alfred Rick Dillard, Al for short. 

Or Alfred Erick Dillard, if they want to include the 'e' for De-rick.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:15 AM, ozziemom said:

Jeremy Jr. with a preppy hipster nickname. Unfortunately as someone not preppy or a hipster, I don’t know any of such nicknames.  But I’m sure Jer can come up with something. Remy?

I think Remy is a cool name for Jeremy. There is also Jet or Jem, although Jem may be too close to Jim for Jeremy.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

Or Alfred Erick Dillard, if they want to include the 'e' for De-rick.

I think Remy is a cool name for Jeremy. There is also Jet or Jem, although Jem may be too close to Jim for Jeremy.

Maybe Jeremy reads here and will steal Remy as a nickname, lol.

• Like 4

I feel like this is a safe place to admit this, but when I hear the name Frederick, my go-to association is Frederick Benteen. I was a bit obsessed with Son of the Morning Star as a kid. . . .

It's not personally a name I'd pick for a kid, but I don't think it's awful. If I had to pick between Spurgeon and Frederick, you could call me Fred. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8

Well there’s always Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. He’s extremely easy on the eyes, especially with his scruff. It’s a good name, he’s a cute baby, I hope Jill has an easy time adjusting this summer. Any indication that any Duggars have visited or acknowledged baby Fred?

• Like 3
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Well there’s always Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. He’s extremely easy on the eyes, especially with his scruff. It’s a good name, he’s a cute baby, I hope Jill has an easy time adjusting this summer. Any indication that any Duggars have visited or acknowledged baby Fred?

Oooh gotta go look up the crown prince!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, ozziemom said:

CP Haakon of Norway is nerdy-hot too. Alas, he and Frederik are both married. 

Topic: Any more word on Fred Dillard? I hope he and Jill are doing ok and at home. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I don't like the name either and it doesn't go at all with Israel and Samuel. I have a feeling that they were indeed planning to spell out Israel and had to make a name up on the fly when people caught on. 

5 minutes ago, Tasya said:

I don't like the name either and it doesn't go at all with Israel and Samuel. I have a feeling that they were indeed planning to spell out Israel and had to make a name up on the fly when people caught on. 

It does feel odd for their third son with the whole Rick to DeRick to FreDeRick.  But, I am not one who feels the need to have a story behind names like so many of the Duggars.  I'm more like Joe and Kendra who appear to name their kids whatever feels right.  And if you do feel the need to have a family name or story attached to it, that's what a middle name is for.  Then your child can decide later on in life to embrace the story or ignore it outside of official documents.  

I say all of this as someone raised in a Catholic household who somehow was spared from getting bogged down in Catholic naming traditions.  I really don't know why my great-grandparents after immigrating to America decided to give their kids whatever name they fancied, but they did and that got passed down to my grandfather and then mother. Seriously, my Polish great-grandparents gave their children some decidedly not Polish first names like Victoria and Louis as well as your usual suspects of Anne and Joseph. I was born on the Feast Day for St. John Vianney and by all right should have been named Joan or Jean or any other femininized versions.  But, my parents had already decided against that.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

I do like the name Frederick. I imagine they'll call him Freddy, which is cute. I hope all is going well. It's nice he came in the summer so Jill can get a routine going before the boys start their new school. The boys are probably helpful with the new baby. I wonder if she'll have another in the next couple of years, so there will be 2 sets of close in age kids? Time will tell! I'd like to see some pics or a video. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tasya said:

I agree that Frederick/Freddy doesn't match style-wise with Israel and Samuel, but it's not uncommon for siblings born later to have a different style name. The Dillards were missionaries when Israel was born and his name is spot-on for that season of their life and Samuel fits since it is also an Old Testament name. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, magpye29 said:

My cousin Frederick is called Ricky--his dad was Freddy.

That would have been extra cute for the baby since his grandfather was Rick. I think Jill mentioned he was going to be Freddy. I wouldn't have thought of that nickname, I bet Jill & Derick didn't either.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

That would have been extra cute for the baby since his grandfather was Rick. I think Jill mentioned he was going to be Freddy. I wouldn't have thought of that nickname, I bet Jill & Derick didn't either.

Nicknames can be funny. I know two brothers - Roderick and Richard. Roderick is called Rick and Richard is called Dick (and Richard is the older brother). Twins named Alexander and Alexandria (I know??!) - they're called Sandy and Andrea (again, ??!)

Then there's names like William - Willy, Will, Billy, Bill and Liam.

Personally I like Freddy better than Rick, but I'm not really fond of either.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It does feel odd for their third son with the whole Rick to DeRick to FreDeRick.  But, I am not one who feels the need to have a story behind names like so many of the Duggars.  I'm more like Joe and Kendra who appear to name their kids whatever feels right.  And if you do feel the need to have a family name or story attached to it, that's what a middle name is for.  Then your child can decide later on in life to embrace the story or ignore it outside of official documents.  

I say all of this as someone raised in a Catholic household who somehow was spared from getting bogged down in Catholic naming traditions.  I really don't know why my great-grandparents after immigrating to America decided to give their kids whatever name they fancied, but they did and that got passed down to my grandfather and then mother. Seriously, my Polish great-grandparents gave their children some decidedly not Polish first names like Victoria and Louis as well as your usual suspects of Anne and Joseph. I was born on the Feast Day for St. John Vianney and by all right should have been named Joan or Jean or any other femininized versions.  But, my parents had already decided against that.  

Just random bit of info, in Spanish, Vianney is actually used as a female name. 

• Useful 6
21 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I actually think Victoria is and was a pretty common Polish name (Wiktoria)

image.png.840c0de04b7714656f8c1cf5ba12718a.png

image.png

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, MamaMax said:

I actually think Victoria is and was a pretty common Polish name (Wiktoria)

image.png.840c0de04b7714656f8c1cf5ba12718a.png

image.png

I see you are pulling data from 2017.  My great-aunt was born in a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania in either 1929 or 1930 to Polish immigrants who were very Catholic.  My great-grandparents were traditional with their children's names until the last two.  Her older sisters were/are Mary and Anne, her mom was Catherine.    

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Well if you watched the Guiding Light back in the day, I believe there were some Bauer men named Frederick, nicknamed Rick/Ricky and Fred/Freddy, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

From my experience what parents call their kids and what they introduce themselves to the world as are very different things.  So, Freddy may be a Ricky when he is older, or Red, or Bubba or whatever.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Well if you watched the Guiding Light back in the day, I believe there were some Bauer men named Frederick, nicknamed Rick/Ricky and Fred/Freddy, lol.

Yep. There were three Fredericks. Well technically Friedrich. There was Friedrich Papa Bauer. His son went by Ed and his son went by Rick. I was always sad that Rick didn't give his son the name Frederick for another nickname or just have that be his full name and go by Jude. Then again by that point I'm not entirely the writers even remembered that there was one episode someone mentioned his real name was Richard. Ah, no.

12 hours ago, floridamom said:

Yes! Little Freddie Bauer on Guiding Light re-appeared after some years as "Rick Bauer". How well I remember it. Watched it for years. I hope Jill & Derick call their baby Rick also.

So do I. I like Rick. He had a great relationship with his sister. He was also a terrible doctor. I love the jokes about how he killed more people then his mafia brother-in-law. My friends and I still make those jokes.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Why didn't they name him Richard Michael, after Derick's father? I believe Richard was his name....not Frederick.

They explained how they came up with the name. (Derick’s middle name is Michael, his father’s was Wayne)

“The name Frederick also holds special meaning for us since it’s Derick’s name with “Fre” added to the front, to make “Fre-derick.”  Similarly, Derick’s name is a variation of his late dad’s name, Rick, that his parents created by adding “de” to the front of Rick to spell, “de”-“rick,” literally meaning son “of” (de) Rick.  We were excited to settle on the name Frederick and incorporate both Derick’s and his dad’s name, by just adding “Fre” to the beginning of Derick’s name.”

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

Some of the pictures from their blog:

1A468A6D-C664-48CB-A48C-8ABB836976A0.jpeg

9C2F3B35-AEFC-4989-BAE4-C54A69C084CE.jpeg

We loved snapping some pictures the other day of the big brothers with little Freddy in some of the same outfits they wore for his pregnancy announcement shoot! 

Mom and baby are doing well and we have been so blessed by the support of friends and family who have come to help, provide meals and watch the big boys for us during this time of transition and recovery.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 7/19/2022 at 12:14 AM, magpye29 said:

My cousin Frederick is called Ricky--his dad was Freddy.

There are a Rick and Dick in my father's adoptive family -- Richard and Frederick. I grew up thinking they were twins, but they're non-twin brothers. 

Topic: Freddy seems to be home from the baby factory now. Queue the speculation about his extended hospital stay. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Heathen said:

There are a Rick and Dick in my father's adoptive family -- Richard and Frederick. I grew up thinking they were twins, but they're non-twin brothers. 

Topic: Freddy seems to be home from the baby factory now. Queue the speculation about his extended hospital stay. 

Freddy had an extended stay in the hospital?

1 hour ago, LavendarRose said:

Cute photos of the boys.  Very natural and not posed to get the “best” shot. 

I cant help but think about  “Life of Brian” when I hear the name Frederick.  It goes with Wodewick and Woger.

Wasn't Wedgenal also in there?  Warease Wedgenal?  That's the one I remember.

Those are cute pics.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Freddy had an extended stay in the hospital?

Freddy came two weeks early, and I think he needed a little assistance with his breathing.  It wasn't presented as a major problem, and he came home within two weeks.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Freddy came two weeks early, and I think he needed a little assistance with his breathing.  It wasn't presented as a major problem, and he came home within two weeks.

If I had to guess, by the info we know, I'd guess he was home in a couple of days.

• Like 1

I think the only conclusive information we have is that he was still in the hospital 4 days after he was born, based on that first blog post announcing his birth and saying he was still there. He could have come any time between the following day (July 12) to today. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Didn't he also have a feeding tube?

On 7/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Heathen said:

CP Haakon of Norway is nerdy-hot too. Alas, he and Frederik are both married. 

Topic: Any more word on Fred Dillard? I hope he and Jill are doing ok and at home. 

And nobody is looking at Carl Frederick of Sweden?! He's GORGEOUS. 

In my age bracket, King Felipe of Spain is my number one. Lordie. He's also verrrrry tall. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Jane said:

And nobody is looking at Carl Frederick of Sweden?! He's GORGEOUS. 

In my age bracket, King Felipe of Spain is my number one. Lordie. He's also verrrrry tall. 

Carl Philip, not Carl Frederick. He's never done it for me, and neither has Felipe. YMMV!

Topic: It was my interpretation that Freddy D had a feeding tube and oxygen, and spent a week or two in the hospital. So not a lengthy hospital stay by Josie standards, but lengthy compared to most full-term babies. 

• Like 2