Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

I wonder when JB  will reach the point of not being able to support ( provide incomes to) his children and grandchildren? At some point one of the wives/daughters will have to work. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I feel like we just finished the second book of a series and are waiting for the third book to go on sale. Derick the Missionary, Derick Plays Pretend Ministry, Will Derick Get Into Law School? Followed by What will Derick Do Now? The companion book series has, Jill Gets Married, Jill Has a Child, Jill Teaches Stuff From a Box, followed by Will Jill Attempt a Third C-section?

At least Sally, Dick and Jane had fun.

Damn, now I sort of want to write these books with illustrations as a total snark set.  Let's not forget Jill hides from the evil shower caddy.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I wonder when JB  will reach the point of not being able to support ( provide incomes to) his children and grandchildren? At some point one of the wives/daughters will have to work. 

Or more of the sons? Sharing the ministry isn't going to pay the bills unless you go out there somewhere and get away, like Jeremy.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Or more of the sons? Sharing the ministry isn't going to pay the bills unless you go out there somewhere and get away, like Jeremy.  

Yes Ben will need a real job, not just cleaning Boob's toilets.  The used car lot can't be supporting numerous families.  I'm not sure it could even support one family.  The landscaping company seems to only work on Boob's real estate holdings and not on other people's yards.  Add in the fact that most of these people can't cook a meal that doesn't include cream of something soup, velvetta cheese and tater tots, most of them have no clue how to do their own laundry and their education gives homeschooling a bad name, many of them are screwed.  I have hope for Jana and JD, just because they have some skills, but the lost girls and the howlers are in for a very rough wake up call - along with Jilly Bean and probably Jessa as well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I feel like we just finished the second book of a series and are waiting for the third book to go on sale. Derick the Missionary, Derick Plays Pretend Ministry, Will Derick Get Into Law School? Followed by What will Derick Do Now? The companion book series has, Jill Gets Married, Jill Has a Child, Jill Teaches Stuff From a Box, followed by Will Jill Attempt a Third C-section?

At least Sally, Dick and Jane had fun.

Hee! I just pictured these as dollar store coloring books. I got dibs on Derick Gets Oral Maxillofacial Surgery.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Damn, now I sort of want to write these books with illustrations as a total snark set.  Let's not forget Jill hides from the evil shower caddy.

Not gonna lie.  I would TOTALLY read these books. 

24 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Hee! I just pictured these as dollar store coloring books. I got dibs on Derick Gets Oral Maxillofacial Surgery.

Maybe a Madlibs type edition as well?

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

12 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So glad that sentence continued past "oral"...

I just lost my iced tea with rum on that one.  Good job!

• Love 2
(edited)

Jill’s birthday message is on their blog, because, Cha Ching!

Does anyone else think Jim Bob’s head looks photoshopped?  Or done with Jib Jab? (This was from Josiah’s wedding, one of the  pics that had to go poof!)

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Jul 18, 2018 | Family Blog | 0 

Happy Birthday Daddy/Pops/Peepaw! We love you very much! Thanks for being a fun dad to me and “Peepaw” to our boys! Hope your day is great and your year better than the ones before!

-Jill

98C397BD-A89B-4771-816B-06616EB09CD2.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4
Just now, ginger90 said:

Does anyone else think Jim Bob’s head looks photoshopped?  (This was from Josiah’s wedding, one of the  pics that had to go poof!)

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Happy Birthday Daddy/Pops/Peepaw! We love you very much! Thanks for being a fun dad to me and “Peepaw” to our boys! Hope your day is great and your year better than the ones before!

-Jill

ODG, a very poor Photoshop effort at that ...

• Love 5
4 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Isn’t lawyering basically doing homework ? 60+ hours a week for a living? 

Yes, yes it is. It could not be less like it is on TV if it tried. 

4 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I am pretty sure that Derick will (if he has even been accepted) wash out of law school. They really aren’t kidding when on the first they tell you to look at the person on your right, then look at the person on your left and know that of you and those other two people, only one will make it though to graduation. 

Mine was do the left/right thing and either they'll was out or be divorced/broken up with their long-term partner. It was absolutely true, but they left out the suicides. It's always strange to go to a major graduate school with a suicide AND a crime rate. 

4 hours ago, queenanne said:

You forgot about the punishing demoralizing yelling from Type A bully law firm partners aimed in the direction of the stupid associates.  The law has driven a very high proportion of lawyers to alcoholics and drug addicts.

Oof. Yes. Our substance abuse problem is something like 10x national average. Now picture Derrick getting dressed down by a female professor/PA/partner/judge. 

4 hours ago, Nysha said:

I wonder why he isn't going for an online degree at Liberty University?

It would preclude him in many cases from practicing anywhere else. So if he fancies himself working outside of AR, he cannot do that with a non-ABA approved law degree (with exceptions). Plus, he'd have to take a baby bar, I think. Also they have abyssmal bar passage rates. If he can get in, he should go to UaR. Even with all the heathens around, it is actually a valuable degree. A non-aba degree is considered by most in the profession generally useless. 

2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

How on earth is Derelick going to pass character requirements?

In most states the moral character requirement of the bar admission is a shockingly low standard. In CA there is a famous historical case where the bar examiners determined that a man's murder of his wife was not a bar to admission on moral terpitude grounds because it did not "imply bad moral character or dishonesty" the way, say, fraud would. They're normally only concerned with things like convictions for crimes that are specifically crimes involve lying/perjury/fraud. 

God, Josh must be stewing that Derrick is living his dream. 

• Love 8

Please don't let this rumor be true! I had an ex who was at the worst law school in the country, and it was ridiculously challenging! When he took his exams, I normally didn't see him for two weeks. It wasn't fun, but I was committed to him achieving his goals. How exactly would Jilly handle that? Nobody in her family has ever had to do the daily grind of a regular full time job or school, so she will never understand! To her, working hard is not what brings success. Praying and getting a tv show is. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Did they actually admit to this? This notice may have been put up during the awful flu season earlier this year and someone forgot to take it down. 

ETA: @irisheyes pointed out the big brother sticker. However, this brings up more questions for me. How did Jill and Derick get to come in if it's siblings only? Why was Sam allowed in? And Cathy? 

I believe children 12 and under need to be siblings. No rule on the relationship of adults.

3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Not everyone who goes to law school ends up being a trial lawyer. A friend of mine ended up working in the accounting department of  an insurance company. No idea if she ever took the bar exam. 

Many, if not most, attorneys never get near a courtroom.  My sister went to law school and passed the bar after majoring in accounting.  She now works as a project manager for a company that works doing subcontracting on various projects in the cable industry.  She's never done any trial work.

• Love 3

maybe this is Derwood’s way to the FBI? Seems like that was his dream before Jill. Accounting degree as well as law degree are the way a lot of people get hired by FBI so maybe if he has both, he figures he is a shoe in. Another delusion but a way to waste more time and money.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MORGANH said:

How is it that Derick can talk about (even rumored) going to law school yet his children appear to be destined for the Jill “yay...umm” SOTDRT? Just doesn’t add up. 

My guesses are, either Derick doesn't have the nerve to tell Jill she can't teach the kids; or maybe there is a defined age after which they have both decided that the kids get to go to a Christian day school.  If he isn't still drowning in the KoolAid about Jill's intelligence (always a possibility), he's probably thinking "Well, she can't mess up the alphabet too much."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Izzy’s shirt has a sticker that says “Mercy Big Brother”. 

Wow, that's really shitty that they lied. I'm sure they're not the first people to do it, but it's still not right. Cathy could've taken Izzy out for an hour while Jill and Derick visited. Kendra went home within the normal time frame, so I don't see why Izzy couldn't wait to meet his cousin.

• Love 22

Jill's inability is why they have an almost $300 set for reading.  It has all the material and she only has to do minimal reading herself.  

I would have found another name for grandpa.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Jill's inability is why they have an almost $300 set for reading.  It has all the material and she only has to do minimal reading herself.  

That's one reason.  My opinion is Izzy needs to get cracking on reading right away.  That law school research won't do itself you know.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Not everyone who goes to law school ends up being a trial lawyer. A friend of mine ended up working in the accounting department of  an insurance company. No idea if she ever took the bar exam. 

Of course not, but if he wanted to, he couldn't pull it off.

Between the Bates and the Duggar families, I've only seen one person who is actually suitable for the ministry, and that is Bobby, Tori's husband.  He is a very friendly, outgoing person and he quickly landed a job with a Nashville church.  The next best candidate is Jeremy, I guess, but his pseudo-intellectual blah blah blah seems very boring to me.  Derick doesn't come close to fitting into a church ministry IMO.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Maybe she thought she could learn along with him?  Imagine all of the fresh fruits and veggies she could have purchased with that same amount of money.  

Peepaw?  WTF.  Perhaps Izzy (if he decided on the name) mistook JB for Josh.  

• Love 3

On the one hand, I think it’s a good sign that Jill bought a legit reading instruction program. It shows that she actually intends to teach and she’s excited about it. And it’s not unusual for moms who intend to homeschool to be a little overly eager to start their firstborn (raises hand guiltily). However, given that this is the Dillards we’re talking about, I’m concerned that if Izzy doesn’t take to reading right away, his developmental unreadiness might be taken for disobedience. 

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Derrick will never be able to join fbi. He will be laughed out of the interview. 

He will be the equivalent of Barney Fife for the FBI.

• Love 11
(edited)

So this means that the rest of the time he doesn't really enjoy being a dad? Considers mundane events as chores better suited for the wife?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Does anyone else think Jim Bob’s head looks photoshopped?  Or done with Jib Jab? (This was from Josiah’s wedding, one of the  pics that had to go poof!)

Happy Birthday Daddy!

-Jill

Jib jab!  I’m dying!  He looks like he has a neck brace on!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

So this means that the rest of the time he doesn't really enjoy being a dad? 

know, right? This is like the tenth statement he's made implying he hates kids in general or his kids specifically or being a parent. I know these two are no wordsmiths, but come on. It's no coincidence. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Do you think that Derrick will now have "law things," like Jill's "medical things?"

Well, you do have to swear on the Bible in court, so he’s got that one ?covered. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sheshark said:

So, in order to get Izzy in to see cousin Garrett, they lied and said he was the big brother.  At the very Catholic Mercy Hospital at Northwest Arkansas.  Is it okay to lie to heathens?  "Children ages 12 and under not seeking medical treatment will not be permitted to visit patients in Mercy Ardmore facilities until further notice, beginning today, Friday, Jan. 12. An exception will be made for siblings of newborns who are visiting the Family Birth Place, but they must remain in the patient room for the duration of the visit."

IMG_6398.jpg

did anyone but me notice that she is wearing shorts?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

It is a  common misperception, including among law school matriculants, that graduating from undergrad means you'll find success in law school. Law school is in no way comparable to undergrad. Instead of competing with everybody who is qualified for a UofA education, you're now competing against classmates who were all graduates in the top 5-10% of their graduating class. As I was told before I started law school, "you're used to being the cream of the crop. SOMEBODY has to be in the bottom of the class." After graduating at the top of your class from undergrad with honors upon honors, finding yourself in the middle or bottom of your law school class is, to say the least, shocking. You may be right that he scrapes by, but unless he's been keeping 95% of his brain in hiding, I doubt more than that. 

God, this is so true. I went to the U of A for grad school (but not law school), and the first semester was a pretty brutal reality check for a lot of egos. Everyone was used to being the big fish in their undergraduate careers, and many did not handle being average well. I learned pretty quickly to just accept my new place in the pecking order, but there were some people who never seemed to quite recover from the shock.

I was recently talking to a friend (who graduated some years ago from the U of A law school) about this, and she said the drop rate during her first semester there was astounding. People were bailing every week as they realized they were not cut out for law school. Even my program wasn't quite that bad. (People got weeded out between semesters, it seems.) I'm almost sad I am no longer down there and all my friends have graduated. I want firsthand gossip!

Incidentally, when I was there, some creepy guy would show up and protest at random places on campus. It was odd. His message was never quite clear except everyone but him seemed to be a godless sinner. People would just walk by and ignore him. I just remember him screaming something that reminded me of a quote from The Big Lebowski (don't even remember what now). I started giggling uncontrollably, and he just started screaming even louder. If he's still down there, maybe he and Derick would get along well. . . . 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, toodles said:

As we all know, karma is a bitch.  My vision of Derwood karma is finishing law school up to his eyeballs in debt.  And because he is such a dick on Twitter, the only job he can find is as a public defender in night court.  The steady stream of hookers, druggies and various lowlifes would be karmic justice at the highest level.

I know you're joking, but please don't malign public defenders of any stripe! They're some of the hardest working public servants out there! 

Now, being in private practice and having to take every DUI, trip and fall, and $500 I-gotta-cheatin-husband-divorce would have me in tears of laughter! 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Derick is going to be a lawyer. Yeah. And I'm Meghan Markle. Anywhere but Krusty's Klown Kollege awarding him any type of law degree is bullshit. He knows Legally Blonde was just a movie, right? (And that's an insult to Elle - she scored very high on the LSAT and worked her ass off while maintaining her integrity).

I'm reminded of a joke from a comedian I can't remember. It goes something like, "Every medical school has a student who graduated at the bottom of his class. And one of us has an appointment with him next week."

Hey Meghan, it’s me, your sister in law, Kate. ? Let’s get together for tea & crumpets while we try on all of Granny’s jewelry and tiaras!

On topic:

I actually saw my doctor this week and he coincidentally shared his version of the joke with me.

Q: What do you call the person who graduated last in their class at medical school?

A: Doctor 

• Love 23
14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He did manage to get through undergrad, so it is not impossible that he can scrape by in law school.  I can imagine him arguing with the profs about Roe v. Wade and other evangelical hot button issues.  I don't picture him having an easy time passing the bar or getting an actual paying job as a lawyer, though.  Lots of law school grads are out there looking for work.

Seems pretty clear that the Cross Church program was a big failure for him and he isn't anywhere near employable as a youth minister. 

No way he is getting a law degree for any other purpose but to attempt to push his right wing fundamentalist Christian agenda. He undoubtedly hopes to work with a conservative group like Focus on the Family on legislation.  No way he will ever be qualified for it, but Derick has a very inflated view of himself and his skill set.  Business law might make sense, but Derick doesn't believe in making sense.

Going to law school also keeps him from having to go out into the world and actually work like a regular person for several more years

To be fair, the Family Research Council did hire Josh, who had even fewer credentials and an even more repellant personality. Somewhere out there is a grass-roots Christian lobbying organization that would be willing to hire Derick. It might be in bumfuck nowhere and pay him in rutabagas, but it’s out there.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

So this means that the rest of the time he doesn't really enjoy being a dad? Considers mundane events as chores better suited for the wife?

There’s a bunch of comments asking if he’s really going to law school. No response, of course. But, Jill left this comment:

jillmdillardAnd you’re an amazing dad!! #thebestpapaever ?

• Love 1