Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Since the Dillards are “rebranding” themselves and going in a “new direction,” I’ve been wondering what that means for JB’s relationship with his favorite daughter. Jill was easily the biggest koolaid drinker growing up and the resident snitch, so she was rewarded handsomly with a husband picked especially for her and the best houses before and after DA.  Now that they’ve forsaken the show, are PR disasters, and live in a tiny, dark apartment, is Jill still the favorite?

22 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

Why does Derick need a name tag? Surely every living person knows who he is and is in awe of his superiority.

He’s probably a greeter or some other volunteer for the church service today. When I visited my parents mega church I noticed all the people at the door and handing out the programs had name tags.  And  being photographed with the name tag proudly in sight is definitely a way for Derick to act like he has some official job with the church. 

• Love 14

The nicest skirt Jill could wear for Easter is a cotton knit shapeless maxi?  Would it kill her to wear something more structured for just a few hours?  People always dressed extra nice at my childhood church on Easter Sunday.

Derick's nametag is probably so all the LBGTQ people he invited will be able to identify him.

• Love 20

Plagarism is something I learned about in the ebil public schools. 

Plagarism also seems like something fundies should worry about. If you get caught, it can be expensive. Avoiding plagarism can help avoiding debt and Bankruptcy!

• Love 15

I was just going to post that they look reasonably good -- for them, but I can't disagree with any of the snarkier posts.

I'm also willing to cut them some slack on the new website. Posting recipes and pictures of the family is a much better idea than an endless stream of nonsensicle  twitter posts.

Of course, it would help if Jill could cook and didn't have to steal recipes, but it's a step in a better direction. If she looked it up (she won't), it's not that hard to steal recipes legally: changing the name and tweaking 1-2 ingredients is usually sufficient (I worked for a cookbook publisher at one point). The pictures will be harder since 1) she can't cook and I doubt her versions of the recipes are very appealing 2) they clearly can't take a decent photo to save their lives, and 3) Why bother? Jesus loves them best just as they are.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

How much would it cost to have Derick’s suits professionally steamed ( and altered to fit! ). Is that gray suit the one he wore at his wedding ?

I think his wedding suit was a darker gray. The Easter suit could look lighter because of the lights, of course. 

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

He’s probably a greeter or some other volunteer for the church service today. When I visited my parents mega church I noticed all the people at the door and handing out the programs had name tags.  And  being photographed with the name tag proudly in sight is definitely a way for Derick to act like he has some official job with the church. 

Exactly. I was thinking he really was proud of that official name tag!  He thinks it makes him look legit!

• Love 7

What on earth is going on with Derick’s mouth?? I feel like the alignment of his jaw/teeth is getting worse. His top teeth are not even close to centered. They remind me of Tom Cruise’s, although Cruise at least has the starpower to carry it off, somewhat. So bizarre. Do we know exactly what all DD has had done to his mouth?

The nametag doesn’t bother me. A lot of churches have ushers and greeters wear name tags—especially on Easter and Christmas when they are likely to get visitors. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cdp73 said:

The nicest skirt Jill could wear for Easter is a cotton knit shapeless maxi?  Would it kill her to wear something more structured for just a few hours?  People always dressed extra nice at my childhood church on Easter Sunday.

Derick's nametag is probably so all the LBGTQ people he invited will be able to identify him.

I agree!!! I actually like jill and derick's colors, and think they coordinate nicely, but her outfit looks like something you might wear to work on an off day when nothing else was clean, and figured you wouldn't really be seeing anybody. I miss Clinton and Stacy on "what not to wear." They would stress structured clothes, and say to find clothes that LOOK expensive, though they don't have to cost a lot of money. I have never seen jill wear a garment that looks like it would cost more than $5 at a thrift store, except for a couple of her outfits when she was courting that Jessa threw on her. Lauren looked so nice in her dress, and something similar would be cute on jill! If she was self-conscious about her weight, she could wear a color other than white. Like I said, her pink and gray are fine. I'd love to see jill in a light pink dress from Dillard's that matches the formality of her husband's suit. Not saying that is the best suit ever, but he looks appropriately dressed for Easter. She looks three or four degrees less formal than him, and a billion times more frumpy!

• Love 13
(edited)

Jill is like Typhoid Mary. Don't let her near pregnant women and don't let her feed you.

InTouch and the like, definitely come here for Duggar scoops. We all should get a cut for the leg work.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 23
2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I was just going to post that they look reasonably good -- for them, but I can't disagree with any of the snarkier posts.

I'm also willing to cut them some slack on the new website. Posting recipes and pictures of the family is a much better idea than an endless stream of nonsensicle  twitter posts.

Of course, it would help if Jill could cook and didn't have to steal recipes, but it's a step in a better direction. If she looked it up (she won't), it's not that hard to steal recipes legally: changing the name and tweaking 1-2 ingredients is usually sufficient (I worked for a cookbook publisher at one point). The pictures will be harder since 1) she can't cook and I doubt her versions of the recipes are very appealing 2) they clearly can't take a decent photo to save their lives, and 3) Why bother? Jesus loves them best just as they are.

Doesn’t the copyright for cook books mostly apply to the pictures? The basic recipes can’t be copyrighted. 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill is like Typhoid Mary. Don't let her near pregnant women and don't let her feed you.

InTouch and the like, definitely come here for Duggar scoops. We all should get a cut for the leg work.

Notice to any gossip site: don’t quote me. I expressly forbid it to the maximum extent of the law. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Doesn’t the copyright for cook books mostly apply to the pictures? The basic recipes can’t be copyrighted. 

Notice to any gossip site: don’t quote me. I expressly forbid it to the maximum extent of the law. 

LOL. Ditto.

• Love 5

I actually like the gray/blue/pink color combo they did for their outfits, it's just that Derick's suit could use a good steam and Jill needs to stop wearing everything so baggy. But as far as Dullard standards go, they look pretty good.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

My mom was making that same recipe for stuffed zucchini over 50 years ago, except that she also had sautéed onions in hers.  Jill acts like she just invented it.  So sad.

DD made it for a FACS class assignment. FACS (Family and Consumer Science) used to commonly be called Home Ec.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I don't meant to harass you, but was the use of that picture cleared with the copyright owner? We're all straddling a fine line.

How many gossip sites did people contact?

Parody is fine under US copyright law,  so are memes.   

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

Do the Dullards not know what an iron is? (It's a rhetorical question, people.) That suit is horribly ill-fitting, and it looks like Jill made a skirt out of sweatpant material. 

Yes!  A thousand times yes!  Derilick's suit doesn't fit right and neither do the boys pants.  Jill is wearing a shirt I might do spring cleaning in, but wouldn't go to a big event it and yes, she's wearing a sweatshirt skirt - totally unappropriate for the day and event.  Where is the dress she wore the last wedding she went to.  Like she reminds me of someone on a Saturday going to Walmart, only her hair isn't in curlers.

• Love 5
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Parody is fine under US copyright law,  so are memes.   

There are obviously restrictions on the reproduction of us currency designs, but they don’t appear to be based on copyright. Whoever created that “in greed we trust” image likely owns the copyright to it. 

Edited by Kokapetl
(edited)

Peeps in my town turn up to events in a variety of styles from casual to formal. I truly hope no one is judging my worthiness to be somewhere or my worthiness full stop, based on what I’m wearing 

I looked at their pic and saw clean and tidy and didn’t think anymore of it ...except that I wouldn’t  have choosen pale grey 

Edited by Totally
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, Totally said:

Peeps in my town turn up to events in a variety of styles from casual to formal. I truly hope no one is judging my worthiness to be somewhere or my worthiness full stop, based on what I’m wearing 

I looked at their pic and saw clean and tidy and didn’t think anymore of it ...except that I would have choose pale grey 

For me...though my personal style is more dressy and that is what I gravitate to, it's more that their levels of casual don't go together. If he's going to wear a suit, she looks too casual, whereas if he wore a polo and khakis, they would look more in sync. Maybe he has to wear a suit for his greeting duties, but it still wouldn't hurt her to have a nice (secondhand if necessary) dress to go with it...or just don't take a pic and share with thousands of followers. Their colors look nice, but she always looks so frumpy  in her baggy sweat type clothing, and she may get a confidence boost if she was a little more dressy. I think she wants to do it, as evidenced by the times she has worn that navy bridesmaids dress with the sky high heels. Perhaps she feels bad spending money on nicer clothing, but look what has seemingly happened to Jinger's self-confidence since she started wearing higher end clothes! Jill seems to copy Jinger in some ways stylistically, so she may long to wear dressier clothes but doesn't know where to start. It just looks mismatched to me, a suit paired with jill's sweatpant material, stretched out skirt and top, the same way it would if Derick had on a wife beater, shorts, and sandals, while jill had on full ski apparel. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

I don't think Jill has cooked any of those nine recipes with the stolen photos.  If she had, she would have taken her own photos.  Someone should tell Jill that she will never be a cooking guru and to find another hobby.  Seeing her anywhere near a kitchen is a joke.

That's what I was thinking, surely they know how to take pictures of their own table?  We've seen them.

6 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Hear, hear.  Sometimes I still see (usually older African-American) ladies wearing full-on Easter hats.  6 year old children know they get specially dressed on Easter.

As for the copyright issue, I believe the primary objection is that/when you or someone might profit by the use of a different individual's intellectual property.  Like, if you were to gank someone else's Flickr picture of a model airplane or similar; and use it to sell the model airplane kit on your own eBay account.  None of us here are using someone else's images posted to link back to our own blog, or anything that increases clickbait and thus profit.  (I welcome correction, but that's what I remember from my copyright and Creative Commons lecture.)

• Love 10

Plagarism is something I learned about in the ebil public schools. 

Plagarism also seems like something fundies should worry about. If you get caught, it can be expensive. Avoiding plagarism can help avoiding debt and Bankruptcy!

I think they'll just have to take down the copied recipes and photos. I wouldn't be surprised if Jill genuinely didn't know she was violating copyright. I am surprised that college-grad Derick didn't know better, though.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The real problem is that the Dillards are trying to claim the photographs as their own.  If they had credited the original source, they would probably be in the clear until they start asking for money.  Also, companies like Chili's might object to the overall tone of the content.  Also, never steal from anyone who can afford better lawyers than you. 

And they tried to prevent other people from using the images. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I don't understand why they took the recipes from different websites with the pictures included. She could have at least attempted to make the food and added her own pictures and then linked the website where she took the recipe from. If she really wanted to put any effort into her website she could put some work in, none of the food she posted is difficult to make and she has plenty of time to make it.

She mentioned taking Michelle's recipe cards so maybe she'll post updated versions of tater tot casserole, chickenetti, and Jim Bob's famous BBQ tuna sandwiches. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 12

Derick has turned out to be the wackiest Duggar in the bunch.  He should just change his name to Derick Duggar. 

I was away from the boards for a week or so and the Dillards have so much to catch up on. From meeting with Pickles and Hairspray to another missioncation to stealing recipes to live Instagram where they both look insane.

I don't even know where to begin.  It's so so so bad. 

• Love 12