Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Part of me thinks that the "world doesn't revolve around him" is just a random comment on Jill's part that she thought would be relatable to the general public. Kind of like, "Toddlers, amirite?" Yes, she was also mindlessly parroting what she's heard a thousand times from her mother, but plenty of normal, decent people say something to that affect when talking about having another child...it's ridiculous,  but people have lots to say about only children being spoiled and selfish because they grew up not having to share, etc. Unfortunately for Jill, she--like Jessa--has an amazing ability to be at her PR worst when she genuinely thinks she sounds normal to us heathens. I like to imagine her posting that thinking, "Who can object to that? I sound just like every other mom of a toddler!" And then the look of horror on her face when the reactions came in. 

7 hours ago, Lemur said:

Am I the only one who is dying to see Jeremy Vuolo's reaction to this meal?

I first heard of spaghetti pie from my very Italian friend--it's a tasty way to eat leftovers. I'm sure Jill's version tastes like ass, though. Because Duggars are anti-seasoning.

4 hours ago, birkenstock said:

I want Jill and Derick to stay in Arkansas for the people of Danger America.  Bring in missionaries who respect the people living there and who don't look down on those they're supposed to be serving.  The way they talk about Guatemala and the locals irritate me beyond belief.  They need to develop some empathy to connect to them.  I think that Jill's heart was in the right place when they arrived, but her inability to effectively communicate with people makes her unqualified right now.  There was another woman on last night's episode who was doing all of the counseling to the local women while Jill looked on.  Resources could be used for that woman to enhance the lives of local villagers.  The show should have been more straight forward and just say that Jill and Derick's primary purpose for being in DA was to be the short-term missionaries' tour guides. 

100% agree with the bolded, but I am vehemently anti-missionary so disagree with the rest. If you're not a medical professional, engineer, or an otherwise functionally useful person (or a tourist spending money on the local economy and not giving it to some bullshit organization like SOS) you have no business going to another country to "help." People traveling to spread their religious beliefs don't provide anything valuable. It's why I disliked Derrick from day one...it's just so nasty and arrogant and to think people with real problems need you to talk about Jesus for all their problems to be solved.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, Defrauder said:

If those are green apples on the table there are plenty for Jill to share with Izzy.  I wonder what he had for dinner.

They look like limes to me.

I've seen salads offered and eaten at the TTH.  They throw some lasagna on the table and dump bags of lettuce in a big bowl.  The boys and children eat lasagna, the older girls eat "salad."  I bet Jing has eaten a lot of that "salad."

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Aja said:

I despise Dave Ramsey because, when I was in Nashville in rather dire living circumstances, I had an interview to be a copywriter for his company. During the initial phone interview, the interviewer said to me (OUT OF NOWHERE) "We have an office worship service every Wednesday morning. Is that something you would attend?" Having just spent 20 years in countries where you are absolutely NOT asked those sorts of questions in an employment interview setting (for both legal as well as common decency reasons), I was totally shocked and stammered out some answer about how great I think it is that employees gather together like that regularly. Basically the interview was over at that point. Lovely. Based on the company research I did, his financial advice isn't anything revolutionary, but he sticks God and Jesus in there a lot because he's a businessman in the deep South. In other words, right in the Duggar wheelhouse. 

"Wednesday morning, you say?  Are we offering up a burnt sacrifice to Odin? Fantastic, can't wait!"

*click* *dial tone sound*

7 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

They look like limes to me.

I've seen salads offered and eaten at the TTH.  They throw some lasagna on the table and dump bags of lettuce in a big bowl.  The boys and children eat lasagna, the older girls eat "salad."  I bet Jing has eaten a lot of that "salad."

Even the younger girls partake, usually with their hands.  Learn 'em young.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Looking closely I think they are limes.

Yeah you're right.  Although even if there was only one apple in the looking for the apple core in the garbage story, most mothers would have given their child the only apple left.  Jill having to raise a pack of buddies her whole childhood just takes the apple for herself and photographs her kid looking for the core, even explaining that he's looking for the apple she had that she didn't share with him.  She's still acting like a sibling-mom and not a mother.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, birkenstock said:

Yup, they did a whole segment on Jana and WW. I wonder if it was Michelle's own issues, because Jana was the first girl that Jana was enrolled, or even Michelle saw Jana was struggling and wanted her to be healthy.  That actually took monetary investment and none of the other girls had to go. It may have been that Jana was then qualified (by their standards) to be the family dietitian or Michelle was throwing shade at Jana.  

I want Jill and Derick to stay in Arkansas for the people of Danger America.  Bring in missionaries who respect the people living there and who don't look down on those they're supposed to be serving.  The way they talk about Guatemala and the locals irritate me beyond belief.  They need to develop some empathy to connect to them.  I think that Jill's heart was in the right place when they arrived, but her inability to effectively communicate with people makes her unqualified right now.  There was another woman on last night's episode who was doing all of the counseling to the local women while Jill looked on.  Resources could be used for that woman to enhance the lives of local villagers.  The show should have been more straight forward and just say that Jill and Derick's primary purpose for being in DA was to be the short-term missionaries' tour guides. 

Yeah I have a feeling they paid for Jana so she could teach the others how to do it if necessary.  Now one could say Michelle could have done that but well, you know that is simply laughable.  That would take time away from being joyfully available or her well deserved ME time.  Ha!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Defrauder said:

Yeah you're right.  Although even if there was only one apple in the looking for the apple core in the garbage story, most mothers would have given their child the only apple left.  Jill having to raise a pack of buddies her whole childhood just takes the apple for herself and photographs her kid looking for the core, even explaining that he's looking for the apple she had that she didn't share with him.  She's still acting like a sibling-mom and not a mother.

Totally agree. Brings to mind Muffy hiding her food and eating it in the bathroom and other similar "wolf girl" behavior. Sad, just sad. I have to often feel guilt for snarking on those kids, because they've experienced little of what we call "normalcy".

The show and IG posts bring to light the many cracks in their public façade.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
More words...
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Lemur said:

"Wednesday morning, you say?  Are we offering up a burnt sacrifice to Odin? Fantastic, can't wait!"

Dammit, where the hell were you two years ago? I just went "um um um um um um my dad was in the Air Force?" Seemed to be one of the only things that calmed people down about me in those parts, so I used it randomly and often.

ETA within a month or so of the Dave Ramsey incident I had an interview at an office supply place, small local business with an 'OBAMA DIDN'T BUILD THIS BUSINESS, I DID" banner out front. First thing dude said to me was, "So. What do think of my banner?"

"Um um um um um um my dad was in the Air Force?"

Hey Jill, come here a minute. *slowly pulls makeup remover wipes out of purse* Don't worry, my dad was in the Air Force.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 20

4 HOURS AGO,  LEMUR SAID: 

OMG, Lemur! I almost irrigated my sinuses with coffee upon reading that! Now that is totally Heathen...too freaking funny.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Defrauder said:

Jill's weird worry about Izzy thinking the world revolves around him shows she's still mothering like a sibling and not like a mother.  She was a sister mom to buddies starting at a young age and it went on throughout her childhood.  There are reasons why 10 year old's can not have children - it's because they don't have the mental and emotional intelligence and empathy that it takes to parent a child.  Michelle and JB passing their parenting responsibilities off to children taught the children - that's how you parent - like children.  How many siblings would raise their brothers and sisters with the same level of love and care and concern that a parent would?  Siblings that are still in their own childhoods.  So am I surprised that Jill still doesn't want to share her apple and wants to show Izzy the world doesn't revolve around him?  No.  Because that's how she was 'trained' to parent, that's how she started out, that's what was forced on her from her childhood.  She's not going to change now just because she's a 'real' mother.  

This reminds me of my aunt's family. Her husband ran off when she was pregnant with her fourth, never came back, and she pretty much broke down at that point. My older two cousins, then around 8 and 10, were totally responsible for raising the younger two. One thing I remember is how fun everyone thought it was to put the two year-old at the bottom of a sleeping bag and then swing the sleeping bag around in a big circle in the living room. Everyone, including the two year-old, LOVED it, so it was considered a fun game to do with the littles. I guess Jesus must have built a fortress around my little cousin's skull because no injuries ever resulted, but that's a pretty good example of what goes on when siblings raise siblings, and don't think that just because the Duggars can recite Bible verses (sort of) that it's any different. Siblings raising siblings with little adult supervision is what it is, no matter what, for the reasons you stated.

• Love 17

There are some posts on here sympathetic to Jill and suggesting Derelict should bring her home. In my opinion, and that's all it is, I think they should leave Danger America because the people from that location are perfectly capable of taking over the SOS tourist office and ministering to the local people. But, I don't think Derelict should bring Jill back to her family. Jill marketed herself as a missionary to a person who was a missionary. One of them is about to have their dreams crushed, but I don't think a complete surrender by Derelict is warranted. I hope they don't return to live on the compound just because Jill is having an issue being a big girl. 

• Love 19
53 minutes ago, Aja said:

This reminds me of my aunt's family. Her husband ran off when she was pregnant with her fourth, never came back, and she pretty much broke down at that point. My older two cousins, then around 8 and 10, were totally responsible for raising the younger two. One thing I remember is how fun everyone thought it was to put the two year-old at the bottom of a sleeping bag and then swing the sleeping bag around in a big circle in the living room. Everyone, including the two year-old, LOVED it, so it was considered a fun game to do with the littles. I guess Jesus must have built a fortress around my little cousin's skull because no injuries ever resulted, but that's a pretty good example of what goes on when siblings raise siblings, and don't think that just because the Duggars can recite Bible verses (sort of) that it's any different. Siblings raising siblings with little adult supervision is what it is, no matter what, for the reasons you stated.

That is quite horrifying.  I hate to think it but maybe the 2 year old pretended to love it because he was afraid of what would happen if he didn't.   Children just aren't capable of raising children responsibly or supervising them correctly because they are still children themselves.   Teens don't usually start babysitting until they are mature enough and even then it's usually only for a couple of hours or so.  Younger children and siblings being responsible for caring, feeding, changing, dressing, on an every day basis is negligent.  The littles who got up at night to be fed or changed or use the bathroom had to rely on their sleeping buddies to care for them in the Duggar house.  It's so unfair to everyone.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Defrauder said:

Maybe Izzy wanted to take the apple core into the bathroom so he could have it for himself.

• Love 10

I think Jill expected being a missionary to be like it was when the Duggars went on their "mission-cations," handing out candy and painting nails of the grateful natives. I don't think she thought about how different it would be to actually live in a foreign county as opposed to just visiting it for a couple of weeks. Also, since Derrick wanted to be a missionary, of course she did too! More proof that they were meant to be together!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

They are using the limes for margaritas. 

My thought too! What do you do with so many limes if you aren't drinking???

5 hours ago, Defrauder said:

That is quite horrifying.  I hate to think it but maybe the 2 year old pretended to love it because he was afraid of what would happen if he didn't.   

Based on my toddler, I bet the 2 year old really did love it. That's why kids need adults... to teach them that just because it's fun, doesn't mean you get to do it.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

In all fairness, Jill didn't say they hadn't shared an apple. she said that Izzy thought she should let him eat the core, and since she didn't, he was upset. For all we know, she counted out the slices and they each got half.

This is also a possible scenario. Muffy can't seem to catch a break...Given her history of questionable and half witted parenting stunts and her officious "all about me" attitude, we're all rightly or wrongly going to assume the worst about her intentions and behavior.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bitter Betty said:

My thought too! What do you do with so many limes if you aren't drinking???

Based on my toddler, I bet the 2 year old really did love it. That's why kids need adults... to teach them that just because it's fun, doesn't mean you get to do it.

Yeah, apparently when I was two my older sister used to pick me up by my overalls strap and swing me around, and I'd beg her to do it. It was all fun and games until one of the straps broke, and I slid halfway out and smacked my head on a bedside table.

If they are drinking margaritas, I have a feeling Jill would be a maudlin drunk, all sniffles and quiet whispering about how sad she is.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

In all fairness, Jill didn't say they hadn't shared an apple. she said that Izzy thought she should let him eat the core, and since she didn't, he was upset. For all we know, she counted out the slices and they each got half.

The caption read that he was looking in the garbage for the apple core because he thought she didn't share her apple with him.  Take what you will out of it but she took the picture and wrote the caption.  

• Love 2

It must be interesting for Derick with his fundy-lite background dealing with Jill and missionary work. I would imagine that in his original church/community finding a girl who wants to be a missionary is relatively uncommon (I'm assuming since his Mom had a professional job his church was fine with women having a variety of career aspirations). I wonder if he knew that in Gothard world the acceptable roles for women are a. wife and mother and b. missionary (which really means wife and mother not in America). If he didn't do some research it might have been a rude awakening to see what Jilly meant when she said she wanted to be a missionary. 

PS. Not that Dancing Derick seems to be in the running for World's Best Missionary either

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 5

AFAIK, Derick is a Southern Baptist. The Southern Baptist Church is an evangelical Christian denomination, self-described as "a missionary people."  I don't think it would be all that rare for a young woman member of the SBC to be interested in being a missionary. Especially if she meets a nice Southern Baptist guy with that aspiration. The Southern Baptists I know, hold missionaries in high esteem. 

IMO, if Derick had cooled his jets about getting hitched until he could get back to the States from Nepal, join a big SBC church, and start dating, he'd be nobody we'd ever heard of, but he'd have avoided the whole Duggar Circus, and Joshgate, and the sudden death of his dream to be a SB missionary.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, sometimesy said:

There are some posts on here sympathetic to Jill and suggesting Derelict should bring her home. In my opinion, and that's all it is, I think they should leave Danger America because the people from that location are perfectly capable of taking over the SOS tourist office and ministering to the local people. But, I don't think Derelict should bring Jill back to her family. Jill marketed herself as a missionary to a person who was a missionary. One of them is about to have their dreams crushed, but I don't think a complete surrender by Derelict is warranted. I hope they don't return to live on the compound just because Jill is having an issue being a big girl. 

Lots of Catholics to convert in Arkansas as well. Get to it!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Defrauder said:

The caption read that he was looking in the garbage for the apple core because he thought she didn't share her apple with him.  Take what you will out of it but she took the picture and wrote the caption.  

It's probably more a matter of Jill's being apparently incapable of proof-reading for what might be inferred. She has to be aware that among certain factions, at least, everything she posts and says is going to be scrutinized and torn apart by critics, yet she still posts random things off the top of her head. Honestly, we have no idea whether there was only one apple left or whether apples are a rare treat in their household. And if either of those things is true, then, yes, sharing the apple with Iz would have been nice, but on the other hand, they may have apples around most of the time, and Jill may have just happened to eat the last one without really thinking about it if Izzy was otherwise occupied, and not realized, until he went looking for the core, that he wanted some as well. Seems like something that could happen even if someone isn't a completely incapable mother. And maybe she found it cute, even in a rather guilty way, that he went looking for the core ("aww...poor Izzy, Mommy's sorry, but it's all gone"). I could see that, too. But the thing is that she never seems to stop to think about how a critical mind might interpret something. Just because you think something is cute doesn't mean that, taken out of context and without explanation, smeone else won't find it appalling. Especially if you are a Duggar. 

I'm not necessarily defending her...for all I know she really IS more or less completely self-centered and would take the last treat away from her child then laugh about it. It just rather makes me crazy that she seems to have no filter when it comes to what she posts, then ends up being crucified for things which, at least the majority of the time, are, in all probability, relatively innocuous.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8

The fact that every other word out of her mouth if it's not "special/ neat/super this or that/Jeebus/God/purpose" is "like" or "um"; this doesn't help her to construct an articulate or cohesive thought.

Since none of the kids were allowed any other feelings except for "shiny, happy feelings", it's easily understandable that Jilly has trouble expressing herself.  I'm still disturbed by how she crumbled on national television, as though that was the first time she'd ever been allowed to cry.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Lots of Catholics to convert in Arkansas as well. Get to it!

Maybe a far corner of Arkansas? As much as I think Danger America is a mistake, I think Derelict bringing his wife home is just as bad. Jill needs to let go and join her nuclear family. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, louannems said:

It's one thing to dish up the plates directly from the stove, rather than transferring food onto serving dishes, but it's another thing to just dump the cooking pots directly onto the table!

On the other hand, it's a step up from the TTH, where they don't even have plates. And where even on holidays they seldom serve up anything as 'homecooked" as spaghetti pie and steamed broccoli. So ... baby steps. At least there are real plates, and Jill must be sort of proud of the fact that there's some actual cooking involved, given how little of it she's seen over the course of her life.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, MarysWetBar said:

I know i will catch flak for this but i really can't snark on Muffy much.  I really believe that her upbringing hobbled her and made her the way she is. She grew up believing all that Gothard bullshit and modeled herself as the good child who snitched or ratted her siblings out but not to be mean or get anyone in trouble. Because with her limited intellect, she believed everything her negligent parents taught her. 

Jessa and Smuggs are smarter than Jill..hands down. They also seem to be able to think outside the prescribed lifestyle they have been forced to follow. 

Not that i think Jessa is an intellectual giant,  but she at least has a stronger spirit, which has enabled her to get her own way a lot. It has served her well. Take her away from Arkansas, though, and she'd fall apart just like Jill has. Witness her reaction to the rapping folks. She looked so out of her element and uncomfortable. 

I can't get the memory of Jill's face and reaction out of my mind from that bloody interview following Smuggs first fuck up last year. She was shattered. Like a small confused child. 

I have zero doubt that Derick got her the hell away as fast as he could from that shitshow.

He was already sadly aware of how infantile his wife was,  so knew she could not deal with much more.  I don't  think he is an evil genius with a grifty mind. I think he acted fast and took the first opportunity he could find without proper planning. 

That is how they ended up in Danger America without a solid plan or backing and ended up with their grifting shit. Lack of planning. 

I don't get evil vibes from either of these two. I think he wasn't aware of how weak minded and childish his new wife was until he was already married and a father to be and i think she was TOLD he would be a good husband so she listened to her parents and followed through. 

She is falling apart and he is aware of it but ill-equipped to deal with it. I think being headship is heavy on his thin shoulders but he is doing the best he can to keep his child bride and the big white baby safe.

I can't believe i took the time to type all that out!

PS: Yes i remember cat-gate but truly believe they are just a bunch of hillbilly hicks and it doesn't show any Ted Bundy -like repercussions! Haha

Last week was the first time I've actually watched an episode of the Duggars since Joshgate. I took it for granted that a lot of the hilarious, insightful comments about the shows on these boards were exaggerated for comic effect. Unfortunately, I was wrong. When Derick said "What are your goals?" and Jill responded with "Hopefully the same as yours. What are your goals?" Derick should have said "That isn't what I asked you" or "We're talking about YOUR goals" or something, ANYTHING other than going ahead and telling her what they were so she could meekly agree. I think he's pretty far from being evil or a genius, but I hear things like that and it just closes the door for me. He's no different. And the more Jill teaches him that she has no thoughts, no goals, no desires, no needs, the more he'll internalize that and treat her as such. Not because he's evil; that's just human nature. I was with my ex husband for twenty years. Month THREE of the twenty years was the first time he cheated on me. I was 18 and believed I was being high and mighty and intellectual and European by saying "well, sex doesn't mean anything, I'm the one he loves." My ex husband enthusiastically backed up my logic. "Yes, yes, that's true! I'll never love anybody as much as I love you! We're a little bit different!" Guess how the next twenty years went.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, MrsMommy said:

Ehh not to defend a duggar but I might have to... I don't think I own a serving bowl. Seriously I either make our plates at the stove or I flop the cooking pots on our table. Different strokes for different folks 

Exactly, but you actually have implied with your post that you more often than not eat at the table, which isn't something the Duggars bother to do all that much.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, louannems said:

It's one thing to dish up the plates directly from the stove, rather than transferring food onto serving dishes, but it's another thing to just dump the cooking pots directly onto the table!

Eh. I don't see the big fuss, I do it all the time. Not when we have guests but as we don't own a dishwasher why add extra work for no good reason? If I've got a greasy-looking frying pan, I'll transfer the food onto something cleaner, but some veg in a stainless steel pot? Nah. If the pot isn't offensive to the eye on the stove, why would it be so three meters away from it?

• Love 13
4 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

I can't get the memory of Jill's face and reaction out of my mind from that bloody interview following Smuggs first fuck up last year. She was shattered. Like a small confused child. 

9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Since none of the kids were allowed any other feelings except for "shiny, happy feelings", it's easily understandable that Jilly has trouble expressing herself.  I'm still disturbed by how she crumbled on national television, as though that was the first time she'd ever been allowed to cry.

I was also really disturbed by Jill's crying during that interview. I had never watched their show, despite living in Arkansas and knowing about their existence in years, but it really bothered me to see her sobbing uncontrollably the entire time while her sister just sat there and ignored her. I felt really bad for her, and even now when I remmeber that interview, that's all I can think about. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

Ehh not to defend a duggar but I might have to... I don't think I own a serving bowl. Seriously I either make our plates at the stove or I flop the cooking pots on our table. Different strokes for different folks 

Agreed, I think as long as stuff's not streaming down the sides of your cooking pots it's fine.  I bet most people in America in fact do similar type things every Thanksgiving at minimum - slap down trivet on table and pot on trivet.

• Love 2

It could be that his hair is all fluffed up making his head look bigger than it really is.

Wtf is up with that pink paisley chair? It looks so random and out of place with the rest of that furniture.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
Just now, OpieTaylor said:

A bunch of comments on this photo were about how huge Izzy looks, which is true. Is the photo distorted though? - cuz his cranium looks ginormous!

Wow.  Ever see "Village of the Damned?"  (The George Sanders version, of course.)  They should be very worried if his eyes light up when he gets upset!!!!!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Wow.  Ever see "Village of the Damned?"  (The George Sanders version, of course.)  They should be very worried if his eyes light up when he gets upset!!!!!

Spurge is cowering like he's going to be caught and eaten. So much for the sharing message. He is sitting down, however, and the camera is right behind the Iz, so the perspective is off. Still, Izzy has a huge, pointy conehead that can't be just be a photo mishap. The rest of him will probably catch up in time. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

A bunch of comments on this photo were about how huge Izzy looks, which is true. Is the photo distorted though? - cuz his cranium looks ginormous!

Pool house? That doesn't look like the metal Duggar stairwell. I knew the Pool House was big, but man, that's a lot of furniture in that room. I guess all the more for Babe (and now Dreck) to conduct their sermons. Ben? It's just a matter of time; he's taking the preaching course this semester, so he'll be a pro by December. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

What is with that message? Izzy was told to "Treat others the way he wants to be treated."  Izzy is one, not ten. I doubt he understands the meaning of this message of sharing.  I'm sure someone was in background, encouraging Izzy to give item to Spurge which is fine.  They are like the people that claim their kids "Found the Lord" when they were 2 or 3 years old. 

• Love 14