Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Honestly, I think it takes a lot less time to cube up a couple of boneless breasts and/or thighs and saute them in a bit of EVOO than to go to the hassle of skinning, boning, picking and shredding a rotisserie chicken.  

No way that's a time or effort saver for me.  The canned stuff definitely is, but I don't care for it.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Honestly, I think it takes a lot less time to cube up a couple of boneless breasts and/or thighs and saute them in a bit of EVOO than to go to the hassle of skinning, boning, picking and shredding a rotisserie chicken.  

No way that's a time or effort saver for me.  The canned stuff definitely is, but I don't care for it.

My local store actually sells freshly roasted chicken meat, off the bone and cut up into pieces/shredded to use in recipes like the one Jill shared.  It's not even that expensive.  And, while I agree with Celia, canned chicken isn't bad, fresh chicken is always way better.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

While I would probably chose to make my own chicken or buy a rotisserie bird from the market, I have to say that canned chicken is not that bad. It's very tender and moist. I wouldn't want to eat it straight on a bun like a sandwich, but when put in something like a chili or soup or even made into chicken salad, it's fine. You probably wouldn't notice any difference. 

I've used canned chicken when I make chicken taco soup. It tastes fine and is easier and faster than baking and shredding chicken breasts or picking apart a Rotisserie. The Kirkland brand from Costco is really good.

• Love 11

After reading over that recipe, I have a question.  What does 2 tablespoons of garlic look like?  She says to saute it with the onion, shouldn't she specify how many cloves of garlic?  Does she mean 2 tablespoons of that awful minced garlic from the grocery store?  Seriously, garlic is super cheap like a bulb for a quarter cheap.  That is the only way I buy garlic because the cost to taste ratio cannot be beat. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

After reading over that recipe, I have a question.  What does 2 tablespoons of garlic look like?  She says to saute it with the onion, shouldn't she specify how many cloves of garlic?  Does she mean 2 tablespoons of that awful minced garlic from the grocery store?  Seriously, garlic is super cheap like a bulb for a quarter cheap.  That is the only way I buy garlic because the cost to taste ratio cannot be beat. 

I’m sure Jill uses powdered garlic SALT ! (320 mg of sodium per ¼ teaspoon)

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I've used canned chicken when I make chicken taco soup. It tastes fine and is easier and faster than baking and shredding chicken breasts or picking apart a Rotisserie. The Kirkland brand from Costco is really good.

I agree that the Kirkland brand from Costco is very good.  I keep it on hand for when I don't have other chicken available.  I use it for an instant pot recipe of burrito bowl.  Other ingredients, mostly cans/jars, but sometimes that's all I want to do and it tastes good.  That recipe and similar are very popular for us Instant Pot users.  But that is not the only thing we eat.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Does she mean 2 tablespoons of that awful minced garlic from the grocery store?  Seriously, garlic is super cheap like a bulb for a quarter cheap.  That is the only way I buy garlic because the cost to taste ratio cannot be beat. 

Jarlic!! ?

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I agree that the Kirkland brand from Costco is very good.  I keep it on hand for when I don't have other chicken available.  I use it for an instant pot recipe of burrito bowl.  Other ingredients, mostly cans/jars, but sometimes that's all I want to do and it tastes good.  That recipe and similar are very popular for us Instant Pot users.  But that is not the only thing we eat.

Back when I was in school and wanted some quick, cheap comfort food, I would dump add a can of chicken and a cup of frozen diced veggies to one of those ramen/Asian noodle type soups and cook in my little hot pot. It wasn't bad and added some decent nutrients to what was otherwise nothing but a bowl of salty carbs. Probably cost about a buck total.  

If there is much more than a cup of fresh vegetables in Jill's whole recipe, I'd be surprised. And that is for 6 people. I just don't get why she doesn't say to use 3 peppers and 2 onions. There seems to be plenty of canned soup slop to go around for sauce. Maybe cut back on the massive quantity of pasta to make room on the plate for something that actually contains a damn vitamin.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Dont know if this was said before about Jill's recipe, I havent read all the posts.

Anyway, I call her out on the picture.  If the dish has 3 cans of cream soup, wouldn't that make the sauce creamier& not somewhat translucent like it looks in the photo?

I have a casserole recipe that uses just 1 can of cream of chicken soup mixed with about 2 pounds of ground beef & it is definitely a creamy sauce. No way would 3 cans of cream soup leave it that translucent.

Anyone willing to take one for the team and make this so we can compare her photo to what it actually looks like? .......... No one? 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 16
36 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Anyone willing to take or for the team and make this so we can compare her photo to what it actually looks like? .......... No one? 

I would be willing to make something in the same spirit, but with less sodium, a heartier pasta and most importantly wine.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Dont know if this was said before about Jill's recipe, I havent read all the posts.

Anyway, I call her out on the picture.  If the dish has 3 cans of cream soup, wouldn't that make the sauce creamier& not somewhat translucent like it looks in the photo?

I have a casserole recipe that uses just 1 can of cream of chicken soup mixed with about 2 pounds of ground beef & it is definitely a creamy sauce. No way would 3 cans of cream soup leave it that translucent.

I made a crockpot stew with two cans of cream of chicken soup and other not-canned stuff. The sauce was white. The picture Jill posted looks like reduced beef broth and cornstarch. Rather than making the recipe, can we just check old photos to see if Jill owns any dishes that look like the plate in the photo?

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Anyone willing to take or for the team and make this so we can compare her photo to what it actually looks like? .......... No one? 

Wanna pay my hospital bill? No? In that case, I must decline the challenge. ?

• Love 20

There were comments on the blog post about the amount of sodium, and butter. Poof, they are gone!

When she deleted them, this one was there, and she didn’t bother to reply: (not including the person’s name)

October 9, 2018 at 12:01 pm 

This is a lovely recipe Jill. We like to can our own food so this would be easy to put together. Please keep posting recipes and IGNORE those people who regularly come here to criticize. They seem to be the same ones I noticed who should be blocked from commenting.

And as far as the salt content that Vicky and Emma are complaining about there is such a thing as no salt canned items, reduced sodium bouillon and unsalted butter. 

What’s interesting is, this person comments about some of the posts about sodium, then goes on to offer an alternative that Jill did not mention.

AE6644D7-CB23-45CA-8100-FB120EDB489D.jpeg

• Love 2

I've used canned chicken to make chicken salad, like I've used canned tuna to make tuna salad. It's the same thing. Not sure why everyone is making such a big deal about canned chicken per se. But you don't use it in recipes like that. Just no. 

• Love 24

Canned chicken doesn’t lose protein in the canning process. It does have added sodium though. I have used it for chicken salad too. I use an electric chopper/grinder. I use it with fresh chicken too. The consistency makes a big difference to me.

• Love 2
Just now, Snow Fairy said:

What kind of chicken is canned? Cooked or raw?

I have no clue of the concept of the canned chicken, no such thing in my country. 

The majority of brands are cooked chicken breast.

• Love 1

image.thumb.png.5ed59043f5867dcd005b0fff0313f618.png

This is an example of what is usually available.  I keep a can or two around to make chicken salad.  It substitutes where packaged tuna would be used for me.  I wouldn't use it for a chicken spaghetti recipe though.  

• Love 14
36 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

What kind of chicken is canned? Cooked or raw?

I have no clue of the concept of the canned chicken, no such thing in my country. 

It's cooked chicken. There's pretty much a canned version of everything here in the States.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

There were comments on the blog post about the amount of sodium, and butter. Poof, they are gone!

When she deleted them, this one was there, and she didn’t bother to reply: (not including the person’s name)

This is a lovely recipe Jill. We like to can our own food so this would be easy to put together. Please keep posting recipes and IGNORE those people who regularly come here to criticize. They seem to be the same ones I noticed who should be blocked from commenting.

And as far as the salt content that Vicky and Emma are complaining about there is such a thing as no salt canned items, reduced sodium bouillon and unsalted butter. 

What’s interesting is, this person comments about some of the posts about sodium, then goes on to offer an alternative that Jill did not mention.

ANSWERTHE QUESTION! FOR ONCE!

• Love 23

That’s no way the right picture. All that cream soup would make it beige with a very few colorful chunks. 

I too have used the canned chicken for chicken salad. For anything else I like the frozen grilled chicken strips or a rotisserie. Salad, Alfredo, chili, etc. There’s frugal, and there’s stupid cheap. Jill is somehow thinking her fan base is poor women with 20 kids. Maybe it is. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I've found a pasta dish that is pre-canned and easy to make. Jill is on course to discover it in 5-10 years.

spaghettios-with-meatballs-22-400x400.pn 

Full disclosure. I do cook a lot, as @Happyfatchick knows, but Spaghetti-O’s with Sliced Franks are my major comfort food. If I am having a bad day, the Spaghetti-O’s come out. If I am having a REALLY bad day, I eat them straight out of the can. Both my real husband and my work husband know to stand far away if they see me eating straight from the can. 

And, I have a recipe to make Spaghetti-O’s from scratch, (which taste a zillion times better than the canned version) that I make when I am having a good day and just want Spaghetti-O’s.

Now, with that said, Jilly Muffin’s recipes hurt my soul. 

• Love 15

On the food network (Chopped), they have sometimes done chicken in a can as one of the required ingredients. In that case, it's a  whole chicken in a can, and I've never seen that it in real life. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

Full disclosure. I do cook a lot, as @Happyfatchick knows, but Spaghetti-O’s with Sliced Franks are my major comfort food. If I am having a bad day, the Spaghetti-O’s come out. If I am having a REALLY bad day, I eat them straight out of the can. Both my real husband and my work husband know to stand far away if they see me eating straight from the can. 

And, I have a recipe to make Spaghetti-O’s from scratch, (which taste a zillion times better than the canned version) that I make when I am having a good day and just want Spaghetti-O’s.

I understand about comfort food.  Mine is spaghetti with contadina tomato sauce straight from the can, a fresh can, room temperature.  It is a totally different thing than the "real" stuff, I acknowledge.  But, it was one of the fabulous recipes my mother made (she was not a good cook) and we ate it at certain times for it to become a comfort food. One of my sons also likes it, also recognizing it is not the real stuff.  I am not recommending it as a thing, just that I like it sometimes when the mood strikes.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Temperance said:

On the food network (Chopped), they have sometimes done chicken in a can as one of the required ingredients. In that case, it's who chicken in a can, and I've never seen that it in real life. 

I've seen whole chicken in a can. Talk about nasty. Ick. Nothing like the other canned chicken at all. 

• Love 3
Just now, Temperance said:

On the food network (Chopped), they have sometimes done chicken in a can as one of the required ingredients. In that case, it's who chicken in a can, and I've never seen that it in real life. 

Nor have I. It freaks me out!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Same, but I prefer them with meatballs.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Dericks's non answer does confirm my belief that they wouldn't bother with most of these 'events' like tea parties and such, if they weren't being orchestrated by TLC. If not for the network setting stuff up, they'd just be lazing around like every other day, not even thinking of anything beyond the actual wedding, because they don't want to put in the effort. Which is why even the stuff TLC plans looks so half-assed all the time.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I've never eaten canned chicken, but Kirkland albacore tuna is my favorite tuna.  

Jilly could win a Mrs. Slop cookoff, hands down.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

l disclosure. I do cook a lot, as @Happyfatchick knows, but Spaghetti-O’s with Sliced Franks are my major comfort food.

I don't judge comfort food. I love those horrible, horrible Little Debbie brownies when I'm depressed. I just don't pretend they're good cuisine.

• Love 16