Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Every time I see this thread bumped up I wonder how many kids Smuggar and Anna will end up with. It's looking more and more like the Smuggars will end up with the most kids out of the 19. I thought Jessa might give them a fair shake but it looks like she's decided to slow down.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Every time I see this thread bumped up I wonder how many kids Smuggar and Anna will end up with. It's looking more and more like the Smuggars will end up with the most kids out of the 19. I thought Jessa might give them a fair shake but it looks like she's decided to slow down.

Almost any of the Duggar kids could have the most. Josh and Anna have more, mainly because they're older and have been married ten years. Of the married kids right now, I think Joe and Kendra will have the most.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Temperance said:

Almost any of the Duggar kids could have the most. Josh and Anna have more, mainly because they're older and have been married ten years. Of the married kids right now, I think Joe and Kendra will have the most.

Well yeah, they've been married the longest. But at the rate Anna's going (for reasons unknown at this point, unless she wants to beat Esther in the baby making department) she will far outrank the Duggar daughters. I'll wait and see how Kendra and Joe will fare.

Granted the Smuggars were the golden couple up until his downfall. Sometimes you wonder what would have happened had it never come to the general public that Smugs had molested his sisters and the Duggars covered it up.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Well yeah, they've been married the longest. But at the rate Anna's going (for reasons unknown at this point, unless she wants to beat Esther in the baby making department) she will far outrank the Duggar daughters. I'll wait and see how Kendra and Joe will fare.

Granted the Smuggars were the golden couple up until his downfall. Sometimes you wonder what would have happened had it never come to the general public that Smugs had molested his sisters and the Duggars covered it up.

I think Smugs and Mrs. Smugs were tossed aside when Jill and Jessa got hitched. He and Deredick are probably the two most hated family members along with JB and Michelle.

20 hours ago, Temperance said:

My money is on Joe & Kendra then Joy & Austin, but we won’t really be able to tell until we see how long it takes them to get to 3 children a piece.

Yes both girls married at 19 and had honeymoon babies, but Austin came from a family of 2, he might not be into the idea of having 10+ children, also he’s one of the sons in law I think will actually support all of his children without JB breathing down his neck. 

Joe & Kendra actually seem to enjoy each other, so I could see them being a couple that keeps having sex pretty regularly when the “honeymoon” period is over. But Kendra’s mom only has 9 kids, and I say “only” compared to Michelle’s 19. I think it really depends on how Kendra feels about being pregnant, how painful are her labors, and how much raising these children costs them. 

Jessa looked to be following in Michelle’s footsteps having her first two back to back but I don’t think she particularly cares to be a super breeder. They may have 4 kids total and then Ben may get snipped. 

• Love 7
On 9/30/2018 at 6:02 PM, Scarlett45 said:

My money is on Joe & Kendra then Joy & Austin, but we won’t really be able to tell until we see how long it takes them to get to 3 children a piece.

Yes both girls married at 19 and had honeymoon babies, but Austin came from a family of 2, he might not be into the idea of having 10+ children, also he’s one of the sons in law I think will actually support all of his children without JB breathing down his neck. 

Joe & Kendra actually seem to enjoy each other, so I could see them being a couple that keeps having sex pretty regularly when the “honeymoon” period is over. But Kendra’s mom only has 9 kids, and I say “only” compared to Michelle’s 19. I think it really depends on how Kendra feels about being pregnant, how painful are her labors, and how much raising these children costs them. 

Jessa looked to be following in Michelle’s footsteps having her first two back to back but I don’t think she particularly cares to be a super breeder. They may have 4 kids total and then Ben may get snipped. 

Caesareans may limit Joy's breeding, if she needs a C each time. Then again, her fool mother had multiple VBACs and even two home VBACs, so you never know. 

I don't think any of the Duggar daughters or daughters-in-law will get close to Michelle's number, not even Anna, because her pace has been pretty consistently every two years. If Anna goes until she's 43, she would still "only" have about 12 kids. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, DragonFaerie said:

And I don't see Anna having a laundry room breakdown.  She grew up in a big family, her sister has like 12 kids, and she seems to manage keeping her kids clean and dressed properly and fed.  I think it'll be Josh who has the laundry room breakdown.  And by laundry room I mean strip club and by breakdown - arrested for public intoxication and grabbing the strippers.

I think Anna has a genuine "heart for children" or whatever that BS term is they use, while Mullet patently does not. 

I feel sorry for Josh at times. Yes, he's an incestuous child molester and serial philanderer who could change his life if he wanted to, but I'm sure he feels he is NOT capable of doing so. He's from a culture and family in which using birth control is likened to murder, and he's married to a Flavor Aide-drinking woman who will continue to have babies as long as her body allows her to. And he's next to unemployable outside their culture. In short, he's stuck. A strip club arrest or DUI for Smuggar would not surprise me. 

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I think Anna has a genuine "heart for children" or whatever that BS term is they use, while Mullet patently does not. 

I feel sorry for Josh at times. Yes, he's an incestuous child molester and serial philanderer who could change his life if he wanted to, but I'm sure he feels he is NOT capable of doing so. He's from a culture and family in which using birth control is likened to murder, and he's married to a Flavor Aide-drinking woman who will continue to have babies as long as her body allows her to. And he's next to unemployable outside their culture. In short, he's stuck. A strip club arrest or DUI for Smuggar would not surprise me. 

Flavor Aide - thank you!

• Love 3

Anna seems to have as much help from Jana as Jessa and Jill, and probably more since they moved back to AR near the TTH. Michelle's family had almost as many kids as Anna's family did although Michelle was the youngest and Anna has three younger siblings.  I hope for Anna's that she never has three kids under two. Anyway she has two daughters who will be helping when she needs it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Heathen said:

And the worse part is the children will suffer because of it. My father finally admitted one day he did not want to be tied down to a family and left. It still hurts because my dad and I were close when I was growing up,  but in some ways, I understand why he did it. Sadly my parents are the perfect example of people who should not get married and have children. I do not understand why people think marrying off one of their children who has serious problems are better off getting married and having children. My grandparents thought it was the best thing for my dad to get married and start a family so he would stop drinking. It backfired big time, and three innocent children paid the price for it. And yes, my mother was not that great of a parent either because she was dealing with her own issues from a terrible childhood. Makes me want to hunt down JB and Michelle and Anna's parents and say what the hell were you thinking along with some major bitch slapping along side their heads.

10 hours ago, Heathen said:

Bonus points for the Flavor Aid reference! I always say that in place of "drink the Kool Aid" and people give me weird looks. 

I also Josh feels stuck, and I think he's eating his feelings over it. Truthfully, I feel a bit bad for him, too. I think the best he could have done after his scandals broke was just admit he wasn't cut out for family life and move on. (Probably a bit biased because of my experiences with one of my own parents.) It would have been a horrible thing to do to his wife and children, but is it any worse than what they live now? 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10

No sympathy from me. He could have received real counseling even after the Joshgates and improved his image by admitting that Jesus Jail wasn't enough to "cure" him. 

He obviously needed something after his parents privately chucked him down the river to save their squeaky clean image for the TLC cameras way back when. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 18
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

No sympathy from me. He could have received real counseling even after the Joshgates and improved his image by admitting that Jesus Jail wasn't enough to "cure" him. 

He obviously needed something after his parents privately chucked him down the river to save their squeaky clean image for the TLC cameras way back when. 

I agree that he is a grown man and should take responsibility for what he has done and that he is ultimately responsible for his own life and actions. But I also don't think his parents well-equipped any of their children for that level of responsibility, initiative, maturity, or self-awareness, and that is what I do feel sorry for all the Duggar kids for. Their parents truly did them a terrible disservice. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 19
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Getting counseling is the hardest step. There are many, many people who can't even do that who are brighter and were raised in better environments than Smuggar Duggar. 

• Love 9

Getting counseling is still taboo in many well adjusted families.  Growing up African-American, therapy just wasn’t talked about as an option. You kind of just suck it up on the outside and deal with it in house. It was so foreign to me to see so many of my white friends talking to therapists all the time.  I remember thinking “Why would I feel comfortable talking to some random stranger about my problems?  It’s none of their business!”

That being said, Josh might not see it as a viable option either.  You need real life friends and experiences to even realize that it might be more beneficial than prayer and dealing with it as a family.  It took me until my mid-twenties to realize it.  I had the benefit of my parents letting me interact with humans outside of our inner circle, Josh doesn’t.  Therapy just isn’t something that is considered in their family, I can’t fault the kids for that. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 22
20 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Getting counseling is still taboo in many well adjusted families.  Growing up African-American, therapy just wasn’t talked about as an option. You kind of just suck it up on the outside and deal with it in house. It was so foreign to me to see so many of my white friends talking to therapists all the time.  I remember thinking “Why would I feel comfortable talking to some random stranger about my problems?  It’s none of their business!”

That being said, Josh might not see it as a viable option either.  You need real life friends and experiences to even realize that it might be more beneficial than prayer and dealing with it as a family.  It took me until my mid-twenties to realize it.  I had the benefit of my parents letting me interact with humans outside of our inner circle, Josh doesn’t.  Therapy just isn’t something that is considered in their family, I can’t fault the kids for that. 

Yes I agree. My family is a little more open to therapy than many other Black families I know (as a kid my mom was always afraid growing up as a Sib would make me feel neglected and resentful towards my sister); but therapy is for when something very out of the ordinary or BAD happened. “Not being happy” isn’t a reason to go to therapy- life is hard, deal with it. 

Given that the Duggar family didn’t consider therapy for Josh when he molested his own sisters(!!!) I can see how he wouldn’t think of it after Ashley Madison. Lots of men cheat on their spouses (of course women cheat too) and they have no intention of leaving or see anything wrong with their behavior, they just want to have their cake and eat it too. I think Josh is very unhappy he got caught, not unhappy he made the choices he did, as such therapy wouldn’t help him anyway. 

• Love 16
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

None from me either. Growing up in a crappy family with a crappy childhood is no excuse for molesting anyone. And nothing about his demeaner in the ten years he was on TV showed he sorry or gave a crap at what he did. Or he wouldn't have been so smug, so gross, and making comments at his sisters who had to "accept" his apology and continue to cook, clean and do his laundry. Or accuse other groups of being molesters. You don't do any of that if you are actually genuinely sorry for what you've done. 

• Love 16

I ended up looking at a list of Duggar Daughter/in law wedding gowns, and I have to say Anna thought she hit the fundy lottery marrying Josh but quickly crashed to earth. I understand her family didn’t have a lot of money, and the Duggars weren’t as media savvy then (17 Kids & Counting just started as a weekly show) but she looks awful IN the wedding photos. I don’t see the joy on her face I saw in Jinger or Jessa’s wedding photos; and it wasn’t as if she was an “old maid” like Tabitha Paine and married a known rapist out of desperation. 

• Love 2

I was under the impression that yes, Anna thought she'd one the big prize in Josh, and I think that in some ways she might still believe it.  Sure, she had to do some impressive mental gymnastics to get through the scandals, but now she's got him right where she wants him.  No more living in PA while he flits off to DC for a fancy job, leaving her alone among heathens all day.  No more worries that he might sneak off on a business trip and get snipped.  Yep.  She's living a pretty good life in a nice house, and JB is keeping Josh on a short leash and making sure the money is coming in.  She has all the company she wants in the whole Duggar collective, and free babysitting to boot. 

I think that Anna's problem at the beginning of her marriage was a feeling of unworthiness and a dislike of being filmed.  She eventually got more comfortable in front of the cameras, but I don't think she misses them all that much.  And as for being unworthy?  She's had almost everyone not named Duggar telling her she's too good for Josh, and I suspect even a couple of Duggars think so, too.

• Love 9

I also think Anna liked the DC job.  I think she was lonely in some ways but It seemed either her sisters or his sisters came to visit her every few weeks.  Jana and Jessa helped out tremendously and stayed up there for a week or two at a time.  

I think for Anna, being in DC was Josh being on the forefront of the abortion and family values fight.  It’s everything she’s been taught to value and uphold!  

I think Anna for her own sake thinks Josh has changed.  She’s happy with her babies and whatever her marriage is right now.  She’s stuck in it so might as well make the best of it.  My assumption is Josh will rebel sooner rather than later.  He’s been the favorite, the oldest, the one who isn’t responsible for anything...he won’t last very long under JB’s leash and TLC refusal to air him.  

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 16

I think Anna liked being a little farther away from her in-laws and having more money to cook healthy food. I think Anna might be somewhat happy with their lives now, but may miss being the only mother of the Duggar grandchildren and the status they had during 19 kids.

She is still doing well by fundie standards. They have enough money (thanks to JB) that they always have food and a roof over their heads and clothes and all of their basic needs met. I imagine that a lot of fundies really struggle with money. (Their was a great blog post I read by a fundie housewife, who used to worry since her husband makes "a little less than minium wage". Then she remembered she's a woman and she shouldn't nag him about money.)   Anna probably knows a lot of people, who aren't as well off as they are (with the Duggar money). I also think she likes living in America, compared to being a missionary (like Jill was or her sister in Africa.)

As for Josh, they filmed some announcement congratulating (a Duggar) for being pregnant with Jessa, Ben, JB, Michelle, Anna and Josh. This was last year and I thought that was the start of the comeback tour then. I don't know why they didn't build on that, but it seemed like his comeback was delayed for some reason. It could be that the audience wasn't that thrilled to see him or TLC said no, etc. 

• Love 2

TLC won't bring Josh back. He's not some A list celebrity they need for the show to be successful. I'm also guessing TLC is smart enough to respect the current #metoo movement.

His family including him in pictures, videos and announcements is out of character going under the assumption that every move JB & M make is for money & fame. It has an appearance of putting family over celebrity. It also kind of normalizes them as I'm guessing most families don't shun their son or daughter because they had affairs. 

As for Anna, I agree with most of you -  she was happy before and she's probably happy now. As happy as anyone who is trying to learn to trust a spouse who cheated. 

• Love 7
On 10/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, FakeJoshDuggar said:

They lived in Maryland, not Pennsylvania. I think Anna liked the life that they had in the DC area. Josh had a high profile job, she was Mrs. Joshua Duggar, and he had viable political ambitions. I think they planned to stay at the FRC for a while and then make a run for the Arkansas House. He had name recognition, political allies, and would have had a decent shot.

They had their own money that wasn’t tied to her FiL.  I think that was the big one. They seemed like they made organic friends. It was the first time in their life they were actually free. 

I do not know what scares me more, Josh running for office and winning, or people would actually vote for him. In the case of Anna, I think she thought she was something special when Josh got his D.C. job,  but she had a quick and rude awakening when the scandals hit the fan. 

Edited by bigskygirl
23 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not know what scares me more, Josh running for office and winning, or people would actually vote for him. In the case of Anna, I think she thought she was something special when Josh got his D.C. job,  but she had a quick and rude awakening when the scandals hit the fan. 

I couldn't agree with you more and I also think that she to this day blames herself for what Smuggar did.

• Love 1

She should not blame herself for the molesting, and she should not be blaming herself for him cheating because he would have cheating no matter who he was married to. He is a creep who thinks he is God's gift to the universe and to women. His parents help create the monster he is today. He needs help, but he is not going to get it. He is more worried about God not forgiving him than the fact he has hurt four of his sisters along with his wife and children.

Edited by bigskygirl

I was a bit taken back that Anna described Mac as a leader, as I thought, in their world, only men can be leaders.  Way too much jesus there and I still don't know why people post greetings to family if they are right in front of you.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

What will this silly bitch do when that child stops being a joy and start acting up?

Beat the devil out of her and lock her in a closet until she repents.

Anna seems to be a good mother in terms of caring for her children's physical needs and allowing them to have fun (certainly more so than Michelle or Jill), but we have to remember that she has drunk the Gothard Kool-Aid until her eyeballs are floating. One of the major principles of Gothardism is that the slightest sign of rebellion in children must be stamped out immediately with corporal punishment. And "rebellion" can mean any deviation from perfect obedience, even something as simple as not smiling when Mommy or Daddy walk into the room. Refusing to use the most severe methods of discipline on your children is a sign of weakness and bad parenting. There's a reason why many of Michelle's children always seem withdrawn and uncomfortable around her (not all of them; I think she plays favorites) and why Israel seems so nervous and afraid around Derick. Anna's kids always look their happiest in pictures when they're at the TTH with their aunts and uncles and not alone with their parents. Much as I dislike Jessa, I think that she and Ben are the only ones who have never laid a hand on their kids; there seems to be a level of comfort and trust in their pictures that can't be faked.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 12

Was Mackynzie a honeymoon baby?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that automatically a sign that the child more than likely brings out the shittyness in this particular Duggar family's parents?  Like maybe, just maybe, the couple (or one of them) hoped to just be a couple for a while, before the blessing occurred?  

I'm not shading anyone here that happened to have a baby before the first year of marriage, or without marriage.  Mr. Xword and I had done "it" before marrying, and it could have, but didn't, happen to us.  Then we used the evil birth control for years, as well.  

I'm just talking out my ass here.  I personally know people that probably never should have had reproduced, including some in my own family.

Edited by xwordfanatik
clarity.
  • Love 4

No, Mackynzie was not a honeymoon baby.  Anna lamented that it took them so long (four months or so) to conceive.

I think they married in September and she was born 13ish months later in October.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

No, Mackynzie was not a honeymoon baby.  Anna lamented that it took them so long (four months or so) to conceive.

I think they married in September and she was born 13ish months later in October.

Thank you.  Then I really was talking out my ass.  Not the first time :)

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Was Mackynzie a honeymoon baby?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that automatically a sign that the child more than likely brings out the shittyness in this particular Duggar family's parents?  Like maybe, just maybe, the couple (or one of them) hoped to just be a couple for a while, before the blessing occurred?  

I'm not shading anyone here that happened to have a baby before the first year of marriage, or without marriage.  Mr. Xword and I had done "it" before marrying, and it could have, but didn't, happen to us.  Then we used the evil birth control for years, as well.  

I'm just talking out my ass here.  I personally know people that probably never should have had reproduced, including some in my own family.

N/M. Answered already. 

Edited by Westiepeach
On 10/11/2018 at 11:24 AM, bigskygirl said:

He was buddying up to all the far right wing superstars like Huckabee and Santorum. I’m sure the FRC would have gotten him a ton of endorsements and funding. Considering a game show host is in the WH, it’s not far from reality to think a popular fundie tv star could get in the Arkansas legislature. 

• Love 11

The kid’s all of nine and she’s being tasked with “leadership” and three Jesus name drops? 

I guess if you’re going to raise little girls up to be good little codependent bots to their headships, you’d better start early.

It’s just so...sad. You can only wonder what crap Anna will tell her when the truth of Josh’s extracurriculars hits home.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, louannems said:

I was a bit taken back that Anna described Mac as a leader, as I thought, in their world, only men can be leaders.  Way too much jesus there and I still don't know why people post greetings to family if they are right in front of you.

The Lost Girls are close in age to Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if she has to boss them around to get anything done. Especially Josie. Yeesh.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The Lost Girls are close in age to Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if she has to boss them around to get anything done. Especially Josie. Yeesh.

More likely as the oldest in her family, she bosses her younger siblings around. 

• Love 2