Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I only remember ours since it was our two year anniversary.  We had a 4 1/2 year engagement, which the Duggs would faint at.  It turns out, all that stuff you can do while you're married, you can actually do *before* you get married.  It's not like there's an access code for a va-jay-jay.  

• Love 22
6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Heh, I only remember the date I got engaged because it was the night the White Sox won the World Series. October 27, 2005.

ETA: Hubby and I are Cubs fans.

I remember mine because we set the wedding date for a year afterwards. Minus a day, as we got engaged Saturday Jan 26, 1984, and got married on the corresponding Saturday (1/27/1985).  I did realize all things were not as romantic as they might first appear on our first anniversary, though...That fell on Superbowl Sunday and Mr. Jyn wanted nothing to do with going out to dinner. We had to do brunch instead.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Now that I know I'm not the only one not to remember my engagement date, I feel better!

I learn a lot on these forums.  It's fun and informative too.  

I only remember mine when I look inside my engagement ring.

• Love 2
On 7/6/2018 at 10:06 AM, Jeeves said:

She's "celebrating" the 10th anniversary of their engagement. Engagement. Not marriage. 

Does anybody except the couple themselves, give a rat's arse about the engagement date? IMO it's pathetic and childish that a woman married this long makes a big deal out of the day she and the hubs got engaged. 

ETA: I don't think there's anything wrong with privately enjoying the "anniversary of our engagement" if you're so inclined, but putting it out there on public social media is just - stupid.

I suppose when you're stuck with someone like Smuggar you want credit & God points for every single second you've endured. 

• Love 9
On 2018-07-05 at 7:45 PM, BitterApple said:

Josh and Anna have both dropped a lot of weight. 

I feel bad for the kid who's birthday cake consisted of candles stuck in a tub of ice cream.

Hey, that is PREMIUM ice cream. Although, cappuccino seems a strange flavour to be a kid's "birthday cake".

On 2018-07-06 at 10:37 AM, irisheyes said:

Ours was in September(?).  I couldn’t tell you the date if I tried. I mean, I guess engagements are more important in their world, since it’s like a Biblical betrothal where you’re 99% married.  

That only leaves 1% for sex. Hey, hey, hey, that can't be right. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My husband's and my engagement was over time. He was way more interested in being married than I was. I was totally committed to spending my life with him, however the marriage part wasn't that important to me. I have no idea when the conversations began and no idea when he put the ring on my finger. I guess it doesn't matter either way, we're still together some 35+ years later.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11

Ofsmuggar got engaged on her birthday. It's easy for her to remember. 

I remember important dates, so it wouldn't be unusual for me to remember whether it was my birthday or not. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My husband's and my engagement was over time. He was way more interested in being married than I was. I was totally committed to spending my life with him, however the marriage part wasn't that important to me. I have no idea when the conversations began and no idea when he put the ring on my finger. I guess it doesn't matter either way, we're still together some 35+ years later.

That is our very same story. Mr lookeyloo said if we didn't get married it would be a dead end relationship.  Next month it will be 36 years.  

• Love 6

If Facebook is still around in 30 years, and my feed is any indication of how often these events are posted, this generation will have no problem remembering. FB will remind them.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If Facebook is still around in 30 years, and my feed is any indication of how often these events are posted, this generation will have no problem remembering. FB will remind them.

My evening has been a major suck hole, but this made me laugh for a good long time. 

• Love 9

I remember the date I got engaged because it is the same date as my wedding anniversary.  It was a Thursday, and the next year was a leap year so it fell on a Saturday for the wedding.

But yeah, if Anna got engaged on her birthday it would not be hard to forget.  Although I would imagine there have been plenty of times in the last 3 years that she wishes she COULD forget...

• Love 9
(edited)

OfSmuggar is possibly the very best snark name of anybody ever!

I would guess Meredith and Anna have a very special bond as Anna basically had Josh’s pedophile behavior come out while pregnant (I never brought that Anna knew about the previous stuff) and Josh is paying to have sex with women online when Mere was an infant....Jana was probably taking care of the older three while Anna was breastfeeding 

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 5

I suppose Anna has the moral authority to preach how she's godly, right? I mean, she's stuck having Josh's kids and if she can do that, no one should ever choose to terminate.

(No disrespect toward the Ms. Even though Josh is basically awful and while I wouldn't want to be married to him or have his kids, the Ms look clean and cute and well cared for. I just hope Anna realizes she's gotten lucky with what she has and stops trying to breed an army for Jesus. And that the brother that offered space to Anna if she left Josh takes all the Ms and teaches them about mainstream life.)

• Love 1
On 7/8/2018 at 5:41 PM, GeeGolly said:

That is our story too!  This month it is 36 years. 

• Love 4

I had a dream last night that Anna dumped Josh, took the M-kids, and became a stunt motorcycle driver in the sort of motor show that happens Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! in the second-tier arena on the outskirts of town. She said it was okay with their God because she was still wearing a skirt while doing it. 

I really shouldn’t eat curry for dinner if I’m not able to eat until 10pm. 

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Lunera said:

People are going in hard at Anna for this tweet:

Screenshot_20180807-194846.thumb.jpg.b6e9d4cb4c02ecafdd5dcf72af432b70.jpg

what the???  Shame on the lot of them.  I hope Anna is catching some major blow back for this.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, toodles said:

what the???  Shame on the lot of them.  I hope Anna is catching some major blow back for this.

I agree. Things like this are just out there to stir up trouble, hate and division. Sorry not a Christian Tweet and shame on her for sharing it. Go back to your sleazeball husband.  

• Love 19
8 hours ago, Fallacy said:

As much as I despise Anna’s choice to retweet that bull, it is a common refrain among the pro-life/conservative movement. I just read an article in a local rural newspaper that basically made the same claim about Planned Parenthood to support the author’s argument that the government stop providing any federal funds. Of course the rest of us know the argument is based on faulty correlation, not actual causation, but I’m not at all surprised that Anna agrees with it. There are millions out there who also believe this bull.

I would also add that every single Duggar and Duggar adjacent more than likely believes the exact same. And this is exactly why I have no favorites among the clan while others hate every move Jill makes but frequently praise Jinger. In my opinion, they all suck equally; some are just slightly more media savvy. 

Agreed. The others seem to realize how distasteful their views are to people, but they shut up in the name of pursuing the almighty dollar. They should pick up that book they bleat about and read what Jesus said about rich men getting into heaven. To give Anna - and Derick - some credit, I suppose, they do not hide how hateful, close-minded, and arrogant they are. But then, neither has anything left to lose in regards to TV money.

• Love 3

For whatever reason I just don't believe that Anna knew that Josh molested his family until it hit the news...... Who in their right mind would marry a pervert who molested his own sisters?  When the news broke, they hid Anna so damn fast and no one heard from her for weeks.  They were probably working on a story and she has stuck to it ever since cuz she's so damn brainwashed.  

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't either. I think Boob gave Pa Keller a sanitized version, maybe alluding to a "sin" but not getting into specifics. I think the Kellers figured it was something fairly innocuous, like Josh getting caught making out with a girl in the church's broom closet. Obviously not something they'd approve of, but not something that would raise red flags. I just have to believe the Kellers aren't that far gone that they'd knowingly marry their daughter off to a man who molested his own sisters.

That’s what I thought it was when I heard the rumors. I never dreamed he would actually molest his sisters. I did notice that the other kids didn’t seem to like Josh much, but I thought that was just because he was a smug ass. 

As far as the Kellers, well fundies talk. I can see the parents knowing but not giving Anna the full version. 

• Love 16

I have always been of the opinion since the Josh molestation came to light that they Kellar parents could not have given a pre-married Anna the full version of the truth as this knowledge would have damaged her purity. Remember how these people think. Telling her such a thing would have had to put visual images in her mind. She was not allowed such 'useless information' before marriage...her mother was allowed to tell her about MARRIED sex and conception only two weeks before Anna's wedding. Which leads me to believe that a 28 year old Jana, would not have been given the information as to HOW that baby got in there in the first place. Her 'doula' training, and that 'training of Jill' would only have included information about the baby COMING OUT. Just a mess over there.

• Love 7

Wait.. what?!!  Anna was not told about marital sex and conception until 2 weeks before she was married?  WTF is wrong with these people?  Do the men get off on the frightened look of their Bride on their wedding night?  Are they even aware that the woman to can experience pleasure?

• Love 11
39 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Wait.. what?!!  Anna was not told about marital sex and conception until 2 weeks before she was married?  WTF is wrong with these people?  Do the men get off on the frightened look of their Bride on their wedding night?  Are they even aware that the woman to can experience pleasure?

I don’t believe this. Women in this culture are kept ignorant but not that ignorant. I do think her mom sat her down and gave her a more in-depth talk about her duties as a wife, sex in marriage etc but in 99% sure she knew the general basics of conception and vaginal penile intercourse much earlier than that. 

• Love 11

Scarlett45: Anna, herself, stated on the show in a TH, all her own, that she and her sisters did not and do not know the specifics about sex until their mother sits them down about two weeks before their wedding. Yes, I couldn't believe it either. Anna said it herself. She called it 'useless information". What were they going to do with that knowledge,, anyway? This is what she said. I'm with you on the unbelievability of this type of thinking.....which is what lead me to think that Jana, a woman of 28, doesn't know the specifics either. Blows you mind, doesn't it? These virgin girl/women must keep their thoughts pure and knowledge of this information puts them at risk to lose that 'purity' of mind. Shocked, I am.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Scarlett45: Anna, herself, stated on the show in a TH, all her own, that she and her sisters did not and do not know the specifics about sex until their mother sits them down about two weeks before their wedding. Yes, I couldn't believe it either. Anna said it herself. She called it 'useless information". What were they going to do with that knowledge,, anyway? This is what she said. I'm with you on the unbelievability of this type of thinking.....which is what lead me to think that Jana, a woman of 28, doesn't know the specifics either. Blows you mind, doesn't it? These virgin girl/women must keep their thoughts pure and knowledge of this information puts them at risk to lose that 'purity' of mind. Shocked, I am.

Well damn I’m wrong then. 

But I don’t get it. All of Jana’s adult sisters are married and she’s attended several births. 

• Love 1

My view on it is...they know there's a zygote/embryo/fetus/baby in there and it has to come out....no real information on how it got in there. This is what I'm thinking about Jana/Jill and the unmarried doulas that assist at births. Based on Anna's 'testimony' on the show, this would indicate that any unmarried female does not have this specific information until she's about 2 weeks from the wedding....then she absolutely NEEDS to know.

• Love 1
Just now, Patricia07 said:

So do you think JD is going to get a "talk" from JB like Josh did?

I would love JD to say, Is this the same talk you gave Josh? Because if it is, I'm not interested.  I mean we saw how well that turned out.  Plus I'm marrying an LPN, she's got this.  I'll let her take the rains and teach me what I need to know.  See ya.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

My view on it is...they know there's a zygote/embryo/fetus/baby in there and it has to come out....no real information on how it got in there. This is what I'm thinking about Jana/Jill and the unmarried doulas that assist at births. Based on Anna's 'testimony' on the show, this would indicate that any unmarried female does not have this specific information until she's about 2 weeks from the wedding....then she absolutely NEEDS to know.

I tend to think it may depend upon the family and isn't "a Gothard thing", thus has some variance.

However, it's funny because I've a good friend who, whenever I have to describe what the fundie section of my family thinks or says about something that has been done, always surprises me by guessing wrong.  At which point I always have to say "Don't forget the magic rule, man:  anything you can think of happening, imagine 'whatever the Wild West pioneers and/or Pilgrims would have done, thought, and said', and you'll be right on the money."

• Love 3