Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I remember watching Henry's birthday week last year and it seem all his gifts were communal gifts, like a birdfeeder. If I'm remembering correctly he also got a book that Spurgie wanted. 

I guess it doesn't matter, next week we'll see Ivy walking around barefoot dragging her new hammer around with her.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I watched the video and Spurge's birthday week consisted of opening gifts I'm 99% sure were just random shit sent by fans. Jessa didn't even bother to wrap anything properly and delivered his biggest gift, a tool box, in a pillowcase. Classy stuff. Spurge also received an adult-sized hammer, two boxes of nails and pliers; perfect items to have laying around in a house with small children and lax supervision. 🙄

I can’t hate too much on Jessa regarding wrapping, I hate it! If I could get away with stuffing gifts in a pillowcase I would. 

• Love 5

It seems to me  I remember a picture of a Dugger Christmas  where the kids were given presents in trash bags with their name on the bag written with a sharpie. If so she grew up with very little thought being pot into how the gift looks. Please someone tell me this is a false memory. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It seems to me  I remember a picture of a Dugger Christmas  where the kids were given presents in trash bags with their name on the bag written with a sharpie. If so she grew up with very little thought being pot into how the gift looks. Please someone tell me this is a false memory. 

Nope you are correct. Don’t think we have ever seen real wrapping paper at the Duggars.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, ozziemom said:

Nope you are correct. Don’t think we have ever seen real wrapping paper at the Duggars.

I think that's a little sad. One of my favorite things as a child was seeing a tree with the wrapped gifts under it. I don't think it would be the same with a pretty tree with trash bags under it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13

I think you're right, the Duggars alway do everything a little bit different - including gift wrapping.  My mother used to spend hours meticulously wrapping our Christmas gifts including intricate hand-tied bows.   My Dad on the other hand, always wrapped gifts in newspaper.  Under the tree, there was always the pretty pile and the newspaper pile.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

She could put a little effort in and just put a pretty ribbon or string in the top hem of the pillow case and not even have to sew.  But you are correct.  Cutting two tiny slits and finding a safety pin to thread the ribbon may be beyond her skill set.

Or she could go out and buy pillow cases suitably themed for a 5 year old boy and make the wrapping part of the gift.  Spurge would probably love to have a pillow case with jungle animals or dogs on it.  Or, if he ever gets to see TV, he could go for Paws Patrol like his cousin Israel.

• Love 13
55 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

816d2cc24027259a157cc80b667a40b2.jpg

Glad to be wrong about the wrapping paper, maybe the garbage/plastic bag image was too appalling and drove out all other memories, lol. I do remember someone getting their gifts in the Amazon box it came in. Hope Amazon appreciates the free advertisement.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's not like Jessa has to take him to an upscale kid's salon either. 

That would have been a great birthday present, though. She could have hyped it with both the viewers and Spurgeon and gotten a lot of hits and good reviews.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think that's a little sad. One of my favorite things as a child was seeing a tree with the wrapped gifts under it. I don't think it would be the same with a pretty tree with trash bags under it.

Maybe when you live right at the dump trash bags say "home sweet home" to you. 😁

47 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Glad to be wrong about the wrapping paper, maybe the garbage/plastic bag image was too appalling and drove out all other memories, lol. I do remember someone getting their gifts in the Amazon box it came in. Hope Amazon appreciates the free advertisement.

I actually thought the trash bag thing was something they did at a recent Christmas.....one since they've stated having a bazillion daughters-in-love and grandbabies-by-the-number....I have a vague hallucination of seeing that from last year or the year before....(But whatever I've seen of Duggar Christmas is only photos, not shows....so this could be a complete hallucination...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

I watched Jessa's 2019 Christmas video at double speed & there were gifts in white trash bags, but everything was wrapped. The Lost Girls were tasked with picking up the wrapping paper and writing the grandkids' names on their gifts. Except for Josie, she was opening gifts with the little kids.

Edited by Nysha
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

For a couple of years, I bought pretty pillow cases, put draw strings in them, and used them for the wrapping for Christmas gifts.  The pillow case/draw string bag was part of the gift.  But I bought pretty ones (usually on sale), and put time into making them useful.  So, pillow cases CAN make nice gift bags.

Once I used state dishtowels to wrap anniversary gifts for my daughter and son-in-law.  I used the three states they had lived in as a couple, and they liked them - reusable gift bags are great, too, like the ones Amazon uses.

I can't fault Jessa on the pillowcases.  She really should cut that kid's hair, though.  It looks messy.  She's probably warming up the curling iron for Ivy's hair already.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

My dearest friend has a sister who ‘wraps’ presents in the bag of the store she bought the present in.   She calls it Cioci Jane wrapping paper.  From what I remember, Cioci is Polish for auntie (jynnan tonnix—please excuse my spelling). In fact, my family even uses the term.  

My dear mother always carried scotch tape and scissors in her car.  This is due to the fact that she usually purchased a shower or birthday gift on her way to the event.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

My dearest friend has a sister who ‘wraps’ presents in the bag of the store she bought the present in.   She calls it Cioci Jane wrapping paper.  From what I remember, Cioci is Polish for auntie (jynnan tonnix—please excuse my spelling). In fact, my family even uses the term.  

My dear mother always carried scotch tape and scissors in her car.  This is due to the fact that she usually purchased a shower or birthday gift on her way to the event.  

Close, it’s ciotka .

• Useful 4
16 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I want to give him a regular little boys haircut like my son. 

The Howlers always had Leave It To Beaver 1950's slicked-back hair.  As much as Jessa sings the praises of Pops and Lolli, I sometimes wonder if Surgeon's longer hair isn't a small FU to them.

Longer hair on boys is such a rebellious thing in super conservative families.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

I can’t hate too much on Jessa regarding wrapping, I hate it! If I could get away with stuffing gifts in a pillowcase I would. 

Same. I am terrible at wrapping--I always opt for gift bags, so it still looks decent but I'm spared the wrapping process and others are spared the results of my efforts. I might feel differently if I had kids because I remember enjoying tearing apart wrapping. I make a friend of mine wrap anything for me if the gift bag is off the table. 😄 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Once I used state dishtowels to wrap anniversary gifts for my daughter and son-in-law.  I used the three states they had lived in as a couple, and they liked them - reusable gift bags are great, too, like the ones Amazon uses.

I can't fault Jessa on the pillowcases.  She really should cut that kid's hair, though.  It looks messy.  She's probably warming up the curling iron for Ivy's hair already.

I don't mind the pillow case idea but at least use a NEW pillow case and make it part of the gift.... I don't want a gift out of a pillow case that looks like it has dried spit, sweat and dandruff on it. 😲

Remember Jessa's home tour where she pointed out that her bed sheet had dried on vomit from Henry spitting up on it and how her and Ben just kept sleeping on it for weeks because she couldn't be bothered to take it off the bed and wash it.

Spurgeon's pillow case looked like it was just yanked off a bed, it looked old and rumpled.

I'm all for creative and frugal ways to wrap parcels...One Xmas I bought a big roll of plain brown paper, wrapped all the gifts with it and used ribbon and other items to make each parcel look festive... Turned out great!  🎄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I don't mind the pillow case idea but at least use a NEW pillow case and make it part of the gift.... I don't want a gift out of a pillow case that looks like it has dried spit, sweat and dandruff on it. 😲

Remember Jessa's home tour where she pointed out that her bed sheet had dried on vomit from Henry spitting up on it and how her and Ben just kept sleeping on it for weeks because she couldn't be bothered to take it off the bed and wash it.

Spurgeon's pillow case looked like it was just yanked off a bed, it looked old and rumpled.

I'm all for creative and frugal ways to wrap parcels...One Xmas I bought a big roll of plain brown paper, wrapped all the gifts with it and used ribbon and other items to make each parcel look festive... Turned out great!  🎄 

Right you are!  I just assumed Jessa had the sense to use a new pillowcase.  No way should she have used a used one!  Nope, old and rumpled wouldn't cut it.  Gross!

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Right you are!  I just assumed Jessa had the sense to use a new pillowcase.  No way should she have used a used one!  Nope, old and rumpled wouldn't cut it.  Gross!

See, I assumed that it was taken out of her linen closet at best, off Spurgeon's bed at worst. Jessa doesn't have a creative bone in her body.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, ouinason said:

At least it's less waste that you know will never be recycled.  Also... I can't imagine paying for wrapping paper for that family.  NOOO

Yep Duggar’s already use too many plastic plates etc. imagine the mountains of ripped wrapping paper. They produce enough garbage as is.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I guess it should be expected considering that it's Jessa but I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see what looked like a drab old pillow case.

I think your tea towel wrapping is awesome and I might have to steal that idea! ❤👍

• Love 6

So the way the election went was like death to them? Oh ok then.

Helpful hint Bin and Jessa-Instead of trying to be inscrutable maybe just stay off of social media if you are that upset.

ETA so if you really want a reason to be upset- I was cleaning out my garage and dropped a bottle of fish fertilizer, on my foot and it broke.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Helpful hint Bin and Jessa-Instead of trying to be inscrutable maybe just stay off of social media if you are that upset.

That looks like Mike and Guinn's page, actually, not Jessa and Bin's. Mike and Guinn go by "seewaldfamily" online, and their picture is of them and their kids, which I think I see at the top here.  

I guess the reference could be to various things, really. Maybe somebody close to them has just passed on or is quite ill or it's the anniversary of the death of some family member or friend. I don't see this on their instagram now, though. Maybe they took it down? 

• Love 3

Husband of Barb wants to know what Spurge is getting for next year's birthday? A weedwacker & table saw?

I can't wait to see how long it takes for one of them to end up in ER from an accident using one of those tools. There's no way Spurge is going to follow safety rules nor will the tools stay properly stored in the tool box.

I think it was a cute idea if it had been plastic kiddie tools.  There are  at least 2 younger siblings (for now) in the household whose safety has to be considered as well. 

The presents looked like they were for a 15 year old not a 5 year considering most were clothes.  I know Jessa was going for the Matching Daddy look but when a kid is that excited over the paper tag "debit card" on his new hat, I don't think it's fair to the kid. I know the space is tight in their house, but Jessa could have gone to the Dollar store or Walmart & gotten a bunch of cheap age appropriate toys/gifts he would have loved opening and  playing with along with the clothes.  Let him enjoy being a 5 year old. 

• Love 14

As long as Jessa and Bin teach the kids that those are grown up tools that can be dangerous, I don't see and issue with it.  I doubt that will happen, but with sensible parents it's not that bad.  i had pretty free access to my dad's tools at that age and he firmly told me the dangers.  Granted we also didn't have a toddler around at the time either.

• Love 5

And Jessa never struck me as one with feelings. She's very stiff and stilted and this was first noticeable to me during the Kelly interview about the molestation. That was not a young woman in touch with or owning feelings about her own sister.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Maybe Mom and Pop are who Bin learned his social media stylings from? 

Could be....Although this is quite subtle compared to the stuff he wrote when he was using social media! I mean, they could be quoting this lyric with respect to anything that's happened recently that's depressed them. They don't specify a group of people who are for sure going to hell.

As I remember Bin's social-media adventures,  he came right out with the fire and brimstone and condemnations. No need to wonder what he was driving at or whose views God was about to crush under his big tires. And Jessa followed suit. Then when people questioned or disagreed they stepped up the nasty attacks. And Bin went all in trying to argue his points.  Emphasis on "trying" because he showed no talent for compelling logic or other persuasion. 

But then Jessa found out it was probably diminishing their fan numbers and stopped the online sinners-in-the-hands-of-an-angry-god stuff cold. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I do wonder if we're in for more of this from Ben. After all, his emphasis at Moody was Preaching. He may be more nuanced now.

Then again, he could be even worse.

At least it would show more personality than he since the first season of Counting On. Not a particularly pleasant one, but it would still beat the milquetoast one he's currently presenting.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Chicklet said:

And Jessa never struck me as one with feelings. She's very stiff and stilted and this was first noticeable to me during the Kelly interview about the molestation. That was not a young woman in touch with or owning feelings about her own sister.

I think she has built a wall so that she doesn’t have to feel.  Who knows, if I had lived her life, I’d probably be emotionally/mentally brain dead too.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I think she has built a wall so that she doesn’t have to feel.  Who knows, if I had lived her life, I’d probably be emotionally/mentally brain dead too.

They were indirectly taught not to feel, by the way they were raised, but JB & M weren't that successful. Both Jessa and Jill have shown all kinds of feelings, both on the show and on SM. 

IMO, Jessa takes somewhat of a no nonsense approach to life, with her eye on the prize. Her engagement scavenger hunt made her uncomfortable because she had to interact with strangers and had to go through 'all these unnecessary steps' to get engaged.

As far as the Kelly interview, IMO, Jessa was angry and in defense mode and had no patience for Jill's tears because the goal was to tell their story from their perspective. That and she's a self-centered bitch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
On 11/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, ginger90 said:

Close, it’s ciotka .

Or just Ciocia.

Ciotka is the more proper word - more the definition or title, if that makes sense. But most people actually refer to their aunts as "Ciocia". So @marypat57 was really close.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've yet to see anyone I know do this. Do real life parents really do this? Spurge even calls Jessa - Jessa. Has he learned that on SM she is Jessa and not mom? Like did she say lets make a video for our internet fans?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQ1KbipUf4/

I'm sure he's learned how she's referred to in their media life, whose proportion compared to their non-media life seems to be constantly increasing.

And they're so frequently "presenting' to their internet and TeeVee fans that she almost certainly mentioned the media fans when she proposed making the video. You can see that he's talking to an audience and not one made up of intimates, seems to me.  Spurge is getting an "on" look for the camera and a consciousness of their 'public" that's quite pronounced, I think.  

Ironic that Jessa was the one who retorted that they're "not a tv family" when she's busily molding her young children into one. I hope I'm wrong but I truly think performing life for the fanbase may be becoming the center of their existence these days. It seems to be taking a more central role for them financially and they continue to make no apparent social, work, school or other connections outside the TTH crowd. Not good, in my opinion. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

I'm fairly certain that Spurge has heard his dad, his grandparents, his aunts and uncles, all the production people, his mom's "sweet friends", his cousins and a ton of other people refer to his mom as Jessa, or Aunt Jessa, his entire life.  He didn't learn that from social media.

• Love 11