Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I dislike Progressives Jamie so much, I am finding Flo tolerable.

Certain Jamie commercials are OK, but apparently, they've decided that Flo's apathetic, rude sister is a good character because I've seen her in a few more commercials. 

I absolutely detest the Kit Kat commercial where it sounds like she's just vomiting up gibberish. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I can't hit the mute button fast enough. 

The fender-bender commercial still makes me laugh. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

One poster briefly addressed this on page 407, but I have come to vent my spleen about the Turbo Tax "FREE free free free free" commercials.  Those are working my last nerve.  I also don't think it's really free for everyone.  The only one that is very slightly amusing is the one where the big muscley guy starts a fire which leads to an explosion, and they roll fake move credits, where there are various iterations of "free."  

I also like the “$25,000 Pyramid” version.  I watched that show incessantly as a kid, and I gotta say, they nailed the look perfectly.  The set, the costumes, the gestures, it’s perfectky executed.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh, I just saw that damn Paragard commercial again. That song was randomly in my head earlier today, too. Gah

I can't help thinking Paragard sounds like a flea/tick medication.

• LOL 3
  • Love 16
16 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

One poster briefly addressed this on page 407, but I have come to vent my spleen about the Turbo Tax "FREE free free free free" commercials.  Those are working my last nerve.  I also don't think it's really free for everyone.  The only one that is very slightly amusing is the one where the big muscley guy starts a fire which leads to an explosion, and they roll fake move credits, where there are various iterations of "free."  

I really like Turbo Tax, but it's not free.   With a 20% corporate discount I still paid around $76 for federal and state and that was w/o the buy up that they kept trying to get me to purchase.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but the Liberty commercial with the "fitness junkie" and his creepy AF calves is just stupid!  Fitness junkie I think not, not with that squishy gut...

Right? All I can see when I look at Mr. Fitness is his gross love handles.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Certain Jamie commercials are OK, but apparently, they've decided that Flo's apathetic, rude sister is a good character because I've seen her in a few more commercials.

I think they've been a little more creative with Jamie, although execution has been spotty. I liked the idea of Flo's motorcycle as a pseudo-Lassie fetching Jamie, but the punchline was undercut by the dollar bill slot on the vending machine. And why is her motorcycle going home with him, leaving Flo stranded?

On ‎02‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, AnnieHeights said:

I do kind of feel sorry for the kid.....I certainly didn't grow up privileged but there was that one part of me who was still hoping for the brand new car with a big bow in the driveway when I turned 16 (didn't happen).  Image is everything at that age and no matter how grateful you should be to even have a car, I think it is normal to be a little mortified to have been given the opposite of a cool car when you are a teenager.        

I'm sorry, but a payment-free car, and presumably his parents covering the insurance?  He should fake gratefulness.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, partofme said:

I really like Turbo Tax, but it's not free.   With a 20% corporate discount I still paid around $76 for federal and state and that was w/o the buy up that they kept trying to get me to purchase.

They have a free online version if you're just filing the 1040EZ.  Itemizing and the state return are extra.

• Useful 1
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They have a free online version if you're just filing the 1040EZ.  Itemizing and the state return are extra.

I never itemize, but they charge if you want them to file it for you.

• Useful 1
16 minutes ago, partofme said:

I never itemize, but they charge if you want them to file it for you.

Huh, well, glad I don't use them.  There are plenty of places which will file federal for free, even if you itemize.  So it seems their commercial is a wee bit deceptive.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but the Liberty commercial with the "fitness junkie" and his creepy AF calves is just stupid!  Fitness junkie I think not, not with that squishy gut...

These ads--and the new "LiMu Emu & Dave" ads--are spectacularly stupid. I'd be embarrassed for LiMu and its agency except I'm sure they're blissfully and cluelessly proud of themselves.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Paragard commercial is ridiculous!  The scrawny overly happy lady wearing yellow flowered dress dancing in outdoor food market singing stupid song.  Omg. And all of the other people dancing, including kids!?    Backflips.   What the heck.   Dumb. Irritating!   Anybody else despise this commercial?

Edited by SuseQ
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

These ads--and the new "LiMu Emu & Dave" ads--are spectacularly stupid. I'd be embarrassed for LiMu and its agency except I'm sure they're blissfully and cluelessly proud of themselves.

I was just going to come here to report that I think the Limu Emu ads are hilarious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, cynicat said:

I can't help thinking Paragard sounds like a flea/tick medication.

lol...that's NexGard! But you just reminded me of the Seresto commercial with the dog bringing home random stuff from the neighborhood. Like, lady, get a freakin' fence! (Dog's cute, though.)

I don't know if they just don't play them in my area but I had not seen any of the LiMu Emu commercials until I just watched the one linked above. Not missing anything, there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I was just going to come here to report that I think the Limu Emu ads are hilarious.

They probably should have picked a different name. When you see or hear an unusual word, it's normal to think of similar words. That works for "gecko" and "Geico", but "Limu" gets you "lame-o", so viewers are biased against the ad.

1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They probably should have picked a different name. When you see or hear an unusual word, it's normal to think of similar words. That works for "gecko" and "Geico", but "Limu" gets you "lame-o", so viewers are biased against the ad.

I just assumed this was another play for Millennials who often shorten their favorite celebs' names. For example, Jennifer Lawrence becomes J-Law. Kristen Stewart becomes K-Stew.

But how a 1970s "Starsky & Hutch" vibe jibes with that age group, I have no idea.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, SuseQ said:

The Paragard commercial is ridiculous!  The scrawny overly happy lady wearing yellow flowered dress dancing in outdoor food market singing stupid song.  Omg. And all of the other people dancing, including kids!?    Backflips.   What the heck.   Dumb. Irritating!   Anybody else despise this commercial?

Is that the commercial for the birth control with "NO HORMONES."  If that's the one, I have to laugh because they always show it during "Love After Lockup."

Edited by Neurochick
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Is that the commercial for the birth control with "NO HORMONES."  If that's the one I laugh because they always show it during "Love After Lockup."

It plays a lot during My 600 Pound Life, too.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, OpalNightstream said:

The carvana commercial announcer seems all too pleased with herself when she says “one of our car vending machines”. So gimmicky yet they think so clever.  

I actually think that car vending machines are kind of clever!

20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They have a free online version if you're just filing the 1040EZ.

Tax reform eliminated the 1040EZ (and 1040A), now there's just the 1040 (and no, it's not small enough to put on a postcard.  In fact, they just added more schedules. Net result, meh!). Hopefully they are not still claiming to do them for free.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, mmecorday said:

I find most shows on TLC to be completely abhorrent, particularly the one about that family of hillbilly grifters that just won't stop having babies. 

Can you be more specific?  😀

Seriously,  I could have sworn TLC said they were going to stop being "the freakshow channel " several years ago. 

19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Huh, well, glad I don't use them.  There are plenty of places which will file federal for free, even if you itemize.  So it seems their commercial is a wee bit deceptive.

I wondered how the free places work and how they access my previous filings. 

• LOL 2
47 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Tax reform eliminated the 1040EZ (and 1040A), now there's just the 1040 (and no, it's not small enough to put on a postcard.  In fact, they just added more schedules. Net result, meh!). Hopefully they are not still claiming to do them for free.

You know, I didn't even notice this year.  I use the same service every year and it just walks me through the steps.  And mine is free for federal, which is fortunate because due to stupid tax reform, I got a much, much smaller refund since itemizing no longer benefits me.  Stupid tax reform.

So basically, Turbo Tax commercials lie.

17 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I found mine through the IRS site, and they have access to my previous filings through them, although I think I had to enter more info the first time I used them.  It's been more than ten years now, so I don't remember exactly how it worked that first year.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Seriously,  I could have sworn TLC said they were going to stop being "the freakshow channel " several years ago

Remember...it’s The Learning Channel 😂😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

And mine is free for federal, which is fortunate because due to stupid tax reform, I got a much, much smaller refund since itemizing no longer benefits me.  Stupid tax reform.

The local newspaper had an article warning people about this a month ago; they said it was because withholding was lowered to better match what people would owe. Where were they last year when people who use the tax system as a holiday savings account could have asked for extra withholding?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Seriously,  I could have sworn TLC said they were going to stop being "the freakshow channel " several years ago. 

You have to have filed with them the previous year.  And create a PIN so that the next year, when you've given them all of your info like Social Security Number, they ask for the previous year's PIN so they can access your filing.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Where were they last year when people who use the tax system as a holiday savings account could have asked for extra withholding?

The IRS had news releases on this shortly after the new law was passed, but most people don't understand/don't want to think about taxes until about March or April.  Actually using it for savings is a bad idea, but a lot of people do it.

• Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks those TurboTax ads are misleading. I keep waiting for one or more Attorneys General to sue them over these ads.  I've never qualified to use TurboTax, so instead, I use FreeFillable Forms from the IRS website. 

• Love 2

I don't know if there's any fine print on the Turbo Tax ads.  I've used H&R Block online for years.  It's free for non-itemized returns,  provided you are either under a certain income level, or if you have easy access to prior years returns and enter all of the information yourself.  Initially, I was under the income level, but I reached a point where I wasn't.  I pay them a nominal amount so I don't have to fish around for all of my old return information to re-enter it.  It's not bad, and they send a coupon for a discount if you file early, and I always do.  To me, it's worth it to not have the hassle.  Plus they do double-checks, and I get free audit support.  I do not, however, pay them to do the state return.  It's really expensive, and I can file with the state for free on their website.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2019 at 8:54 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I absolutely detest the Kit Kat commercial where it sounds like she's just vomiting up gibberish. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I can't hit the mute button fast enough. 

Yes, WTF is that nonsense?  Who actually listens to singers like that??  

I caught a new (at least to me) Walgreens commercial about breast cancer, which shows some pretty moving images of women shaving their heads, getting their upper body bound in bandages, etc as a result of cancer diagnosis.  But it's set to this god-awful ghetto/ganster rap song which just grates to the core.  My first thought was - none of these women would ever listen to music like that, why do these advertisers keep trying desperately to normalize trashy rap music?  But then, it hit me that maybe the point is that the awful music = the ugliness of dealing with cancer.  It was the only way I could rationalize it.

• Love 8

I've always been grossed out by watching other people brush their teeth, so the new commercial for Clorox Ultra Clean Wipes that not only has three kids brushing but then them spitting in the sink while the camera's POV is from the sink makes me gag.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Were we all waiting for McDonald's to bring back the singing bass of not so fine memory?  I don't think so.  Is the singing bass even a thing anymore?  Can't McDonald's afford new ad ideas?

Well, they’ve had “I’m Lovin’ It” as their slogan for what, 20 years now?

• Love 3

Boxing Grandma is annoying as hell.  She reminds of the cheerleaders and drill team bitches in high school.  They would do their little moves in public, while furitivively glancing around to see if someone was watching them.  Ugh.

Edited by zillabreeze
Auto correct is a bitch
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Boxing Grandma is annoying as hell.  She reminds of the cheerleaders and drill team bitches in high school.  They would do their little moves in public, while furitivively glancing around to see if someone watching was them.  Ugh.

And I thought I was the only one who hates that Grandma!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 3/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Yes, WTF is that nonsense?  Who actually listens to singers like that??  

I caught a new (at least to me) Walgreens commercial about breast cancer, which shows some pretty moving images of women shaving their heads, getting their upper body bound in bandages, etc as a result of cancer diagnosis.  But it's set to this god-awful ghetto/ganster rap song which just grates to the core.  My first thought was - none of these women would ever listen to music like that, why do these advertisers keep trying desperately to normalize trashy rap music?  But then, it hit me that maybe the point is that the awful music = the ugliness of dealing with cancer.  It was the only way I could rationalize it.

I totally agree, except for the rationalization.  I think that crap gets sold cheaply and these companies want the least expensive junk.

2 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Fact: we all love video doorbells.

Fact: we all hate the Scott brothers.

That Scott brothers ADT commercial is driving me crazy. It feels like it's one that airs more times per hour then other commercials do.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Gawd I love my doorbell.  I'm such a total introvert!  I get to pick the people I interact  with.  None!  Yeah for me!  You guys, well hell yeah!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

That Scott brothers ADT commercial is driving me crazy. It feels like it's one that airs more times per hour then other commercials do.

except the weirdo face glue commercial that lasts about 10 minutes.  I have to ff about 5 times to make that stop

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Fact: we all hate the Scott brothers.

This is me too. I can't stand that commercial. And every time they mention video doorbells... I'm like... I hate them. Internet of things creepiness. Anything good aside, I wouldn't want something in my house that can/could be remotely hacked.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5